Tactic Familiarity problems, please help

Hey all

basically I'm playing as man utd and no matter what I do, my tactic familiarity stays at the bare minimum for half the season, this has now happened 4 times (as I've restarted a lot). I have match training on tactics only and the other training on tactics (also tried team cohesion here)

I'm not sure what else to do and I do believe its affecting my performances drastically. I'm aware that the formation was a change of style at the club so I expected it to be minimum to start with but after that many matches it should go up surely.

Thanks for any advice all :)

Hopefully this helps you:

1) Train only one tactic at a time, 1 tactics will train quicker than 3

2) Set to use your one tactic and don't tinker the roles outside of matches unless you have to

3) Use the tactics you have set

4) Keep your roster to what you need, if you keep introducing trials and new people into your ranks, it will keep going down

5) Max out your match preparedness as set to tactics, you will gain far more on the field in regards to training from an efficient formation than your team could learn in training

6) If you are bringing Brazilian Soccer to Sweden, expect it to familiarity to be bare bones

7) If you haven't seen any improvement in the first month after you keep playing the same tactic 3-4 times, you are doing it wrong

I have big problem with this. These are my settings I use and as you can see, something is just wrong for me and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/GN2QZRx.png as you can see, we only focus on the tactic. Nothing else, no free time after or before match. Just more tactic training. I've had these settings since I started the save date.

And now it's time for my first game in the league and this is how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/pt5otdl.png

I've played all my preseason matches with this tactic, I made all the changed the first day of the save. So they had about two months of training to get to know the tactic well.

So please tell me what I'm doing wrong cause this happens every save I mad and it's not fun to play.

I have big problem with this. These are my settings I use and as you can see, something is just wrong for me and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/GN2QZRx.png as you can see, we only focus on the tactic. Nothing else, no free time after or before match. Just more tactic training. I've had these settings since I started the save date.

And now it's time for my first game in the league and this is how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/pt5otdl.png

I've played all my preseason matches with this tactic, I made all the changed the first day of the save. So they had about two months of training to get to know the tactic well.

So please tell me what I'm doing wrong cause this happens every save I mad and it's not fun to play.

Your Scheduling bar isn't maxed out. It needs to be all the way to the left to do it in 12 friendly games. You also have to make sure you have spare days between the fixtures so the players do have training days. Also settings general training to tactics has nothing to do with learning familiarity so that side of your training is wasted. That just indicates which attributes will have the most focus. It's match training what counts and shout be set to tactics. You should follow my guide what RT posted above. if you do everything it says in that thread then the tactic will be fluid.

Also make sure you actually have a coach who is tactics focused and that you have coaches set to be responsible for every single category.

I'm having the same problem. Played 11 pre-season friendlies, training slider is set to maximum match prep with tactics only focus, no rest days, and my tactical familiarity is much lower than it used to be in previous versions of the game...

If done correctly it still works the same as on FM13 so you must be doing something slightly different.

Sorry for the late reply guys, thanks for the feedback. I restarted my save and followed the advice in the guide and on this thread and it's working a lot better.

What I did:

1 - put match training on tactics only

2 - trained only 1 tactic

3 - other slider went on fitness until 2 friendlies left and then switched to team cohesion

4 - I arranged 10 friendlies plus charity shield

5 - only allowed team rest after match and not before

The familiarity is now almost full, only problem being coach is worried because we only have 1 tactic prepared

Thanks

I also had the same problem with my man u team. I had 3 tactics prepared and not one of them became fluid at all through the whole season. I got fired in my second season as I just could not win?? very frustrating anyway, I started again and 6 games into the season I have 3 tactics fluid in all departments!! I tried to upload pics to show but I cant for some reason?

I put match prep on tactics only. no rest days at all. put the slider all the way to the left, general training set to fitness (very high)

changed the focus on bottom left of screen to fitness again very high. then in between fixtures on the calendar I changed to tactics. I also arranged 10 friendlies.

only prob now is what training do I do now???

I also had the same problem with my man u team. I had 3 tactics prepared and not one of them became fluid at all through the whole season. I got fired in my second season as I just could not win?? very frustrating anyway, I started again and 6 games into the season I have 3 tactics fluid in all departments!! I tried to upload pics to show but I cant for some reason?

I put match prep on tactics only. no rest days at all. put the slider all the way to the left, general training set to fitness (very high)

changed the focus on bottom left of screen to fitness again very high. then in between fixtures on the calendar I changed to tactics. I also arranged 10 friendlies.

only prob now is what training do I do now???

You do nearly exactly what I do in pre-season. General training fitness and team cohesion very high, no rest days, match prep tactics only. I usually manage to have 2 tactical setups fully familiar by the end of September, if not earlier - despite not having many pre-season friendlies. (I usually only do those that my ass.man arranges). But again, it is very dependent on how good my best tactics coach is.

The familiarity is now almost full, only problem being coach is worried because we only have 1 tactic prepared

:brock: Sometimes you gotta be your own man, so don't listen to the AI.

When you feel your tactic is at a comfortable level, you can introduce a second tactic. Then when your 1st and 2nd tactics are at a comfortable level, you can introduce your 3rd.

I personally do rest before matches to make sure you have fresh legs on the field but that is your personal choice and I might be wrong. I only play lower level leagues where there is a revolving door at the physio's office.

:brock: Sometimes you gotta be your own man, so don't listen to the AI.

When you feel your tactic is at a comfortable level, you can introduce a second tactic. Then when your 1st and 2nd tactics are at a comfortable level, you can introduce your 3rd.

I personally do rest before matches to make sure you have fresh legs on the field but that is your personal choice and I might be wrong. I only play lower level leagues where there is a revolving door at the physio's office.

Match prep takes place in training the day before the match - so if you give players the day off, you won't be doing any match prep training at all. Rest them the day after the match. I believe rest the day before a match is something to be used only when you have a seriously congested match calender ahead, when resting is more important than match prep.

During pre-season, I don't allow any rest days at all, perhaps except for the last friendly before the league starts, if it's close to the first proper match of the season.

Same issue here.

set up two tactics at the start. Match training to max and tactics only from day one. 6 friendlies played after 4-5 weeks.Rest day after matches.

no progress whatsoever. Not little progress, none at all!

Don't know what to do. Surely this can't be right. I'm happy to be told what more I could have done, but I cannot see this having zero effect at all.

Your Scheduling bar isn't maxed out. It needs to be all the way to the left to do it in 12 friendly games. You also have to make sure you have spare days between the fixtures so the players do have training days. Also settings general training to tactics has nothing to do with learning familiarity so that side of your training is wasted. That just indicates which attributes will have the most focus. It's match training what counts and shout be set to tactics. You should follow my guide what RT posted above. if you do everything it says in that thread then the tactic will be fluid.

Also make sure you actually have a coach who is tactics focused and that you have coaches set to be responsible for every single category.

Well, it's just not working. Tried the guide you made and I still can't max out the familiarity. I had 8 friendlies and a cup game in the pre-season, only trained one tactic, only focused on the tactic and this is what I got: http://i.imgur.com/BCQlORz.png

Sure it looks better but still not near good. So, this game is pretty much so far impossible for me. I didn't have any problems with this on FM 13. Don't know why I can't get my head around it this year.

Well, it's just not working. Tried the guide you made and I still can't max out the familiarity. I had 8 friendlies and a cup game in the pre-season, only trained one tactic, only focused on the tactic and this is what I got: http://i.imgur.com/BCQlORz.png

Sure it looks better but still not near good. So, this game is pretty much so far impossible for me. I didn't have any problems with this on FM 13. Don't know why I can't get my head around it this year.

It works the exact same as it did on FM13 though nothings changed. Although 8 friendlies isn't enough to max fluidity but should be better than your screen. So one of these things must be happening in your game;

1) You don't have a tactics coach....

2) You are changing settings game after game

3) You are resting players before a game

4) You haven't got the scheduling set to 50% general and 50% match tactics

It works the exact same as it did on FM13 though nothings changed. Although 8 friendlies isn't enough to max fluidity but should be better than your screen. So one of these things must be happening in your game;

1) What's a tactics coach? I have a regular coach who is assigned to tactics only and I get 4 stars or 4.5 for that category. Does that qualify?

2) What kind of settings should not be touched? On FM12 I remember that it was fluidity and mentality which affected the familiarity. I do swap around the team selection a lot in pre-season, but I'm keeping blocks of players who always start together in every second match. I have a few players with individual instructions too. But seeing NO(!) progress whatsoever as if I did not train tactics at all must not be what this leads to.

3) I don't and it doesn't make any difference.

4) I have the scheduling to more match tactic training. Does choosing a lower setting have a bigger effect???

1: Yes, that's perfect.

2: I presume it's the style and mentality, but team instructions may play a role as well.

3: .

4: The match training slider should be all the way to the left during pre-season, so that you spend as much time as the game allows training your tactic. Have you selected "tactics only" for match prep?

I started the same team for all of my pre-season matches, and subbed all players at half time, that may help.

1) What's a tactics coach? I have a regular coach who is assigned to tactics only and I get 4 stars or 4.5 for that category. Does that qualify?

2) What kind of settings should not be touched? On FM12 I remember that it was fluidity and mentality which affected the familiarity. I do swap around the team selection a lot in pre-season, but I'm keeping blocks of players who always start together in every second match. I have a few players with individual instructions too. But seeing NO(!) progress whatsoever as if I did not train tactics at all must not be what this leads to.

3) I don't and it doesn't make any difference.

4) I have the scheduling to more match tactic training. Does choosing a lower setting have a bigger effect???

1 - That's fine

2 - Adding individual instructions, shouts etc will all impact the familiarity going down while still learning.

3 - Are you positive it's not ticked by mistake?

4 - It needs to be all the way to the left so its 50% for match and general.

Are you sure you haven't got an assistant or coach set to take care of this and that's why its not working? If you follow the instructions I posted exactly and aren't trying to learn 3 tactics at once then it should and does work.

1 - That's fine

2 - Adding individual instructions, shouts etc will all impact the familiarity going down while still learning.

3 - Are you positive it's not ticked by mistake?

4 - It needs to be all the way to the left so its 50% for match and general.

Are you sure you haven't got an assistant or coach set to take care of this and that's why its not working? If you follow the instructions I posted exactly and aren't trying to learn 3 tactics at once then it should and does work.

That's what I'm wondering too.

Read your instructions and that's what I do anyway.

I'm not saying the bar should be full as already in FM13, which I played only briefly for 2-3 seasons, I saw that familiarity grows slower than on FM12 and that team selections changes are no help either. I could live with a slower development of familiarity.

But there is really no progress whatsoever and that I find puzzling. I don't feel I'm doing something out of the ordinary and my slider is all the way down to the left. I just don't get what's up there and it seems that quite a few users have this issue.

That's what I'm wondering too.

Read your instructions and that's what I do anyway.

I'm not saying the bar should be full as already in FM13, which I played only briefly for 2-3 seasons, I saw that familiarity grows slower than on FM12 and that team selections changes are no help either. I could live with a slower development of familiarity.

But there is really no progress whatsoever and that I find puzzling. I don't feel I'm doing something out of the ordinary and my slider is all the way down to the left. I just don't get what's up there and it seems that quite a few users have this issue.

Changing players doesn't matter,

You must have a staff member in charge or something if you've followed all the steps and its not moving. It's not a bug because its working on every single new game I start.

As for the other users having the issues, the ones that have posted in this forum have all had their issue solved by following the advice.

Like I said, it definitely seems far slower than FM13, at least for me. I've also had a few quirky bugs where I've dramatically lost familiarity by chopping and changing options without actually advancing the game.

You must have a staff member in charge or something if you've followed all the steps and its not moving. It's not a bug because its working on every single new game I start.

This is not how bugs work. They are not universal to everyone's game experience, and can be triggered by any number of unique circumstances in an individual's save.

Like I said, it definitely seems far slower than FM13, at least for me. I've also had a few quirky bugs where I've dramatically lost familiarity by chopping and changing options without actually advancing the game.

You have always had this in the past 2 version of the game, this isn't new.

It isn't any slower on FM13 at all nothing has changed. I can start any save now and have it exactly how I want. It's something the user is doing what is the issue.

You have always had this in the past 2 version of the game, this isn't new.

Having full familiarity on a tactic, playing with the options, then changing it back and losing familiarity in the previously full one without ever pressing Continue is not how it is supposed to work.

And just because it is working in your game does not mean there is not a potential bug in a different user's game because of something they did that was unique to their save or setup. This is the reality of a complex piece of software like FM.

Those of you who are having trouble can you tell me one thing, for your match training when you select tactics do leave the weekly ones as the default match training or are you putting the tactics in those boxes too even though you have it selected as default?

Having full familiarity on a tactic, playing with the options, then changing it back and losing familiarity in the previously full one without ever pressing Continue is not how it is supposed to work.

And just because it is working in your game does not mean there is not a potential bug in a different user's game because of something they did that was unique to their save or setup. This is the reality of a complex piece of software like FM.

Ermm actually that's how it worked on FM13 too. I didn't say it was right or wrong I was just stating that's how it worked on the previous game too.

And I know how bugs work thanks very much.

Those of you who are having trouble can you tell me one thing, for your match training when you select tactics do leave the weekly ones as the default match training or are you putting the tactics in those boxes too even though you have it selected as default?

On the first day of any new save, I set up one tactic with a few Team Instructions and a handful of Individual Instructions, none of which I change throughout preseason.

On the same day, before ever pressing 'Continue', I go to the training screen, put 'Scheduling' all the way to the left (so it's a 50%/50% split) with no days off, set Match Training to 'Tactics Only', and ensure that my friendlies are spaced out in such a way that the three full 'Main Focus' Match Preparation days for each one aren't affected.

(In preseason, my General Training tends to be set to Team Cohesion, but that's irrelevant to familiarizing tactics given all the other settings are designed to maximize the grey* 'Main Focus' Match Prep sessions.)

This is identical to what I did in FM13, and yet it is markedly slower. Your assumption that I don't actually know how this is supposed to work after years of successfully using it with no problems is patronizing.

*Using the dark skin, 'Tactics Only' days are a dark grey.

Im doing all 3?? Am I doing wrong not used to this havent played since fm12 and then i had a plug n play and a downloaded training programme

On the first day of any new save, I set up one tactic with a few Team Instructions and a handful of Individual Instructions, none of which I change throughout preseason.

On the same day, before ever pressing 'Continue', I go to the training screen, put 'Scheduling' all the way to the left (so it's a 50%/50% split) with no days off, set Match Training to 'Tactics Only', and ensure that my friendlies are spaced out in such a way that the three full 'Main Focus' Match Preparation days for each one aren't affected.

(In preseason, my General Training tends to be set to Team Cohesion, but that's irrelevant to familiarizing tactics given all the other settings are designed to maximize the grey* 'Main Focus' Match Prep sessions.)

This is identical to what I did in FM13, and yet it is markedly slower. Your assumption that I don't actually know how this is supposed to work after years of successfully using it with no problems is patronizing.

*Using the dark skin, 'Tactics Only' days are a dark grey.

Do you have a tactics coach? How many friendlies are you doing?

I find this really strange considering I've not replied to you about training really and the way you set things up (until this very post). So not sure how you came to this conclusion. All I said was it isn't any slower compared to FM13 and it isn't. And you've not had years using this module because it was new for FM13 :brock:

And you'd be surprised how many times a day I see a user say 'I know what I'm doing blah blah' for it to turn out it was actually an error on their part. So excuse me if I'm covering bases and actually trying to help you.

Im doing all 3?? Am I doing wrong not used to this havent played since fm12 and then i had a plug n play and a downloaded training programme

When you're focusing on learning your tactics, you want to use all the available match training days for 'Tactics Only' so you get there faster. Save things like 'Attacking Movement' or 'Defending Set Pieces' for when the season proper begins and your team is comfortable with your base gameplan.

1. I played with a smaller team, a tactic coach is not an option for me then. I would have to fire one of my coaches and can't afford that.

2. I did not do that.

3. No, I do not. After games maybe, but never before.

4. That I did not do, you said "all the way to the left" so maybe I misunderstood that.

I shall give it another try with a bigger team, but it's kinda boring if I can't play with my local team cause I can't afford tactic coach.

Is there anyone who is struggling with tactic familiarity willing to put their game up for download so I can take a look please?

Happy to do so tonight, as I'm really lost for explanation and believing that I have done everything how I should have. I'd love to know where I'm going wrong in case I am (or you to admit that some bugs only affect few users after checking my save ;))

Do you have ftp access at SI or should I PM you a link at a filesharing site?

Happy to do so tonight, as I'm really lost for explanation and believing that I have done everything how I should have. I'd love to know where I'm going wrong in case I am (or you to admit that some bugs only affect few users after checking my save ;))

Do you have ftp access at SI or should I PM you a link at a filesharing site?

PM me the link please.

I'll take a look because if there is a bug I'll see if I can replicate it on my save and then submit a proper bug report. I'll check things like transfer signings, training settings etc to see if I can see why you are struggling.

PM me the link please.

I'll take a look because if there is a bug I'll see if I can replicate it on my save and then submit a proper bug report. I'll check things like transfer signings, training settings etc to see if I can see why you are struggling.

Great, will do. I guess I only have a current save though.

Thx

OK here we go again. Still can't get it to work, and I'm about to give up on FM14 cause this just drives me crazy. I haven't played a season yet cause I can't get the tactic to work in the pre-season and if I don't get it to work I just delete the save.

Here are the matches I had in the pre-season: http://i.imgur.com/GJi6nB0.png

Here are the training: http://i.imgur.com/V99lBK5.png - Last time, I had the slider all to the left, this timre I tried 50/50( not possible)

Here is the overview: http://i.imgur.com/eiBMKV6.png

And here is the familiarity: http://i.imgur.com/Kz9kwOx.png

I bought two players in the beginning of the season.

I have no idea what I do wrong, I tried get a coach with good knowledge in tactic. Didn't get the best, but the best I could in this club.

OK here we go again. Still can't get it to work, and I'm about to give up on FM14 cause this just drives me crazy. I haven't played a season yet cause I can't get the tactic to work in the pre-season and if I don't get it to work I just delete the save.

Here are the training: http://i.imgur.com/V99lBK5.png - Last time, I had the slider all to the left, this timre I tried 50/50( not possible)

I have no idea what I do wrong, I tried get a coach with good knowledge in tactic. Didn't get the best, but the best I could in this club.

You're doing it wrong. The 'Scheduling' slider needs to be moved completely towards the left hand side to ensure that 50% of the training is spent on 'General Training' while 50% is spent on 'Match Training'. This is the maximum that you can devote to match training, which should be set to 'Tactics Only'. Setting the general training to very high tactics training does not increase tactic familiarity. It attempts to increase tactical attributes of players - nothing to do with the tactic being trained.

Then, the first week of that training calendar, you have overridden 'Match Training' - which was correctly set to 'Tactics Only' - to 'Team Cohesion'. This overrides any attempt to increase tactic familiarity. If you did this during other weeks then it's no wonder it isn't increasing much.

'Team Cohesion' falls under General Training, so it hasn't actually overridden his attempt to increase tactic familiarity (you can see the Match Training for that week is still grey, meaning it's working on 'Tactics Only'). The first thing you pointed out is the major problem, though: people seem to consistently confuse 'Tactics' General Training (which trains players' tactical attributes) with 'Tactics' Match Training (which familiarizes them with your tactical instructions).

I had trouble even with 'tactics only' but found my team was becoming familiar with it much faster when only training one set of tactics even if the 3 were very similar (same formation different mentality). Any transfers can have a massive negative impact also.

The advise above will sort it.

Also 13 friendlies and still 19 players unfit that would annoy me even if they were surplus to requirements :D

I had trouble even with 'tactics only' but found my team was becoming familiar with it much faster when only training one set of tactics even if the 3 were very similar (same formation different mentality). Any transfers can have a massive negative impact also.

Learning 1 is the fastest way yes. And you'd want to bring the new players into the club as soon as possible.

I'd like to add to this following Cleon's examination of my save. Hope her findings may help others too.

Issues in my save were:

- 2 tactics trained at once. For starters one may choose to restrict oneself to one at first. (I have to say though, that irl I see no team being fluid in one tactic only by the start of the season)

- match preparation was a bit restricted by the narrow spacing of friendlies and my rest after match setting. This resulted in two full days of less match prep than if I had always had two full days off at least between friendlies.

Still have to confess though that I find the current familiarity levels a bit harsh. But anyway. Lesson learned.

Thanks again Cleon for your support :thup:

Archived