Sports Interactive Community
yugo23

Football Manager 14 Benchmark Thread

Started timing the second I hit Go on Holiday, stopped it as soon as the calendar bar disappeared.

CPU: I7-4970k

CPU Frequency: 4600 MHz

RAM: 16GB 2400Mhz CL10

Time: 2 Min 47 Sec

Impressive!

I think it can be quicker, it was pausing for a second every couple of days because it had to unpark my storage drive to access the facepack pictures. I have a WD Green 3TB which does aggressive head parking and hasn't been defragged for months.

This CPU is awesome, I upgraded my 4.6Ghz 2500k to it and this blows the 2500k away.

Anyone planning to buy the Core i7-5960X, Core i7-5930K or the Core i7-5820K?

I'm really curious to see if FM is going to benefit from the hexa-core or octo-core cpu.

Yep, perfect time to upgrade my i7-920.

So you're expecting that the I7-5820K will outperform the I7-4790K in FM?

CPU: AMD A-10-5745 APU (W/RADEON HD GRAPHICS)

CPU Frequency: 2.1 GHz

RAM: 6GB (667 MHz)

Time: 16 Min 56 Sec

Strange how mobile A10s are so bad. Desktop A10 is similar with Phenom II X4, which should give you around 6-7 minutes processing time.

Strange how mobile A10s are so bad. Desktop A10 is similar with Phenom II X4, which should give you around 6-7 minutes processing time.

My last PC was indeed a Phenom II X4 which is why I got this one because the A10 (Quad core) was bench-marked similarly.

However for me they do not perform the same.

CPU: E3-1230V2

CPU Frequency: 3300 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1600Mhz CL9

Time: 3 Min 59 Sec

CPU: i7 4700mq

CPU Frequency: 2400 MHz

RAM: 12GB 1600Mhz

Time: 4 Min 42 Sec

CPU: i5 4258U

CPU Frequency: 2400 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1600Mhz

Time: 7 Min 47 Sec

Anyone bought a Haswell-E processor? I'm still considering it, and seeing a massive measurable improvement in FM could be the deciding factor.

Seems i arrived late here but still.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1035T

CPU Frequency: 2600 MHz

RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz

Time: 6 min 41 secs

As an employee of Intel, I can tell you that the benefits are negligible, it is essentially the old model but with handpicked cuts of silicon. Save your money and get the i7-4770K for much better value.

as a regular guy, averaging over 4 posts per day on here for 8 years leads me to question that claim

if you've got the means to do so, then fair enough, but I'm a little skeptical

CPU: Intel Core I5-3230M

CPU Frequency: 2600 MHz (3.2 turbo)

RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3-1600

Time: 5 minutes 37 seconds

CPU: AMD 6300FX

CPU Frequency: 3.5 GHz

RAM: 8GB

Time: 04 Min 24 Sec

Not too shabby for my budget gaming build really.

I was looking at that CPU for my build for FM15 how does it run in game? and how many leagues do you load?

I noticed some inconsistencies in this year results. For example 6300 being quite a lot faster than 8350. It could be the case that patches brought some speed improvements. For FM15 version of this benchmark I will most likely wait until February final patch before I start the thread.

I noticed some inconsistencies in this year results. For example 6300 being quite a lot faster than 8350. It could be the case that patches brought some speed improvements. For FM15 version of this benchmark I will most likely wait until February final patch before I start the thread.

Ignore the 8350 time on here as he was running background programs - the 6300 is 6 cores and the 8350 is 8 cores - the 8350 would be much faster as processes 8 matches at a time and would probably give most of the i7 cpu's a run for their money! shame no one did a proper benchmark for FX8350 with 8gb ram!

I will be looking forward to next year's edition. Still waiting to upgrade my 2500K.

Too bad that user who had 2 min 11 sec with 4,8 GHz 3770K is not active on the forums. I'd like to see a video of that blazing fast processing.

First post updated with all the results.

Too bad that user who had 2 min 11 sec with 4,8 GHz 3770K is not active on the forums. I'd like to see a video of that blazing fast processing.

First post updated with all the results.

Great, for me it's disappointing that there aren't any Haswell-E results.

I'd also like to see a 5GHz i5. Not to mention those liquid nitrogen cooled specimens. :D

Great, for me it's disappointing that there aren't any Haswell-E results.

Wasn't planning on installing FM14 on this computer, but here you go ;)

CPU: Intel i7-5960X

CPU Frequency: 3000 MHz

RAM: 32GB 2133 MHz CL 15

Time: 3 min 17 sec

Wasn't planning on installing FM14 on this computer, but here you go ;)

CPU: Intel i7-5960X

CPU Frequency: 3000 MHz

RAM: 32GB 2133 MHz CL 15

Time: 3 min 17 sec

Thank you very much, slightly disappointed with the results TBH.

The game is less optimized for heavy multithreading than I thought.

I had a speech prepared to convince my wife why I would need this CPU for work related reasons.

It was strange - in the task manager and resource monitor, CPU was only between 8-12% overall with one processor doing most of the work. I did try the benchmark with the fm.exe process set to 'high' priority to see if that made any difference, but the game would hang for a bit at the end of each day and it came in about a half second slower.

I'm not much for overclocking, but I've read articles that say they get the CPU up to 4.1-4.6 GHz. I would think that might decrease the time. It's also possible that FM15 may be relatively more optimized for multi-threading. Don't trash that speech quite yet.

I can't wait for the FM15 benchmark thread as I want to buy or build a new PC and want to know which CPU to get.

I re-ran my initial test with 2500K at default clocks, and it turned out that with final patch processing time is almost 20% faster - 4 min 13 sec compared with 5 min 01 sec from November 2013.

As much as it's positive that they optimized the game, that also means that this list of results is a mixed bag. All results from February onwards are comparable, and maybe some of those before, but I can't tell for sure.

So, plan for FM15 is to create benchmark save game as soon as game is released, and do the testing after each patch to see if there are any improvements in speed. When SI releases patch after January transfer window, I will make benchmark save available for download and testing.

Now I am playing a bit with overclocking, most likely I'll break sub 3 min with 2500K and low latency RAM. That will be very nice improvement from default 4 min 13 sec.

@77caddie: those are some extremely loose RAM timings. Can't you run them as CL11?

@77caddie: those are some extremely loose RAM timings. Can't you run them as CL11?

For DDR3 they would be indeed, but this is DDR4 and it appears that currently the stock CL is primarily 15 - 16.

I could try to tweak it, but I'm not going to. I'm just running everything at stock for the foreseeable future (i.e. my budget doesn't allow for replacement parts should something go horribly wrong). Link to memory if interested.

Got a new laptop this week. Wasn't sure whether to pay an extra £60 to get an i7-4700MQ, but glad to see there isn't that much difference between that and the dual core i5 I got.

CPU: Intel i5-4210M

CPU Frequency: 2600 MHz (3200 with Turbo Boost)

RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz

Time: 5 min 5 seconds

Great thread, thank you! Looking into upgrading so I would like to give my results as well.

I ran the test twice with different results. The only difference between both tests: i closed my browser for the second test.

CPU: Intel i3-2125

CPU Frequency: 3300 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1333 MHz CL8

1. Time: 6 min 30 sec

2. Time: 5 min 58 sec

I'm very curious to see results for FM 15 in the near future. I can't find any compelling reason to upgrade my I5 2500k just yet.

Default setup with all leagues in the world loaded - processing time is 4 min 44 sec on 2500K at default clocks. Not bad at all, seems a bit more lively than previous versions of FM.

Default setup with all leagues in the world loaded - processing time is 4 min 44 sec on 2500K at default clocks. Not bad at all, seems a bit more lively than previous versions of FM.

Sandy Bridge still relevant.

Not bad at all, are you going to make a new thread after the last patch?

This is a great thread! @yugo23 I think it would be awesome also important to note type/make/model of the hard drive, ram and mobo just to compare results. People could also use a utility like Game Booster to really cut out a lot of the background stuff. For those of you out there with at least 16gb ram you could try setting up a RAM drive and installing the game on it and bechmarking it there as well.

Does it have something to do with your nickname? :)

Perahps! ;) By the way, I agree with mantorras. I think people should list their hard drive as well. I have had an SSD drive for the past year and while my laptop runs extremely fast, I do not know how much of that is attributed to the SSD. Thus I think comparing hard drives would be extremely important, especially for a game that is heavily based on calculations.

Perahps! ;) By the way, I agree with mantorras. I think people should list their hard drive as well. I have had an SSD drive for the past year and while my laptop runs extremely fast, I do not know how much of that is attributed to the SSD. Thus I think comparing hard drives would be extremely important, especially for a game that is heavily based on calculations.

The SSD doesn't impact game processing. Only for loading, saving and starting the application.

For daily use, it's easily the best upgrade I ever made.

Dont really need 1 as its pretty much the same technology.

Sure there are some new intel chips but they are focused on more cores/threads so dont improve quality on a game like FM.

4790k imo is likely the best CPU for FM15

Dont really need 1 as its pretty much the same technology.

Sure there are some new intel chips but they are focused on more cores/threads so dont improve quality on a game like FM.

4790k imo is likely the best CPU for FM15

It's always interesting to know how the new game will handle the new Broadwell processors (mostly laptops).

I'm also very curious to see if FM15 has a deeper focus on multithreading.

Will there be FM 2015 Benchmark Thread? I would love know what CPU and Ram will be able to get all the League turn on:)

Sure, after final February patch.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3420

CPU Frequency: 3200 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz CL9

Time: 4 min 35 sec

Not as bad as I thought with only two cores. Now to do the 2015 benchmark when the thread is setup.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3420

CPU Frequency: 3200 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz CL9

Time: 4 min 35 sec

Not as bad as I thought with only two cores. Now to do the 2015 benchmark when the thread is setup.

Incredible, you made me even more curious for the new thread. Your score implies that there is still a lot of optimization needed on multithreading.

I know this is an old thread now, but hey.

I gave the benchmark a go on my 8 core 5960X overclocked to 4.4 GHz. I was extremely surprised at how relatively badly it performed, with many of the cores barely being used.

CPU: Intel i7 5960X

CPU Frequency: 4400 MHz

RAM: 32GB 2400MHz DDR4

Time: 2 mins 32 seconds

Storage was a Samsung 850 SSD.

Not sure if FM15 has improved on this, but based on the results of FM14 there need to be dramatic improvements in multithreading and parallelization.

All in all, I was extremely disappointed with this score, because this CPU is born to do stuff like this. Had the processor been used to its fullest, it would have likely crushed this test with ease, coming in at less than a minute. As it stands, I'd estimate the total use was around 20-25%, with only Core 1, Virtual Core 1 being used at 100%.

Edit: Have some images for reference. One shows FM14's performance, compared to another program (Handbrake) that is extremely multi threaded.

e06asl.jpg

j7gvw4.jpg

In fact, it doesn't even look like FM14 was working across multiple cores in my example; Windows was probably allocating it to different cores.