Sports Interactive Community
yugo23

Football Manager 14 Benchmark Thread

After very succesful benchmark thread for FM12 I decided to give it a go again this year.

I applied the exact same settings as in FM12 (every league from every nation loaded - 117 leagues from 51 nations), but to my surprise processing time was approximately twice slower compared to FM12. As my relatively fast CPU needed almost 10 minutes to complete the benchmark I had to limit number of nations to all European countries (all 87 leagues from 34 nations loaded). With these settings now I have almost the same processing time as in FM12 benchmark. I am not sure if this means that FM14 engine is less optimized, or maybe more complex.

I also wanted to set some of the leagues to full detail, to allow 100% CPU usage while processing, but for example setting only 5 out of 34 nations to full detail resulted in almost triple processing time. It's sort of a paradox that even though CPU is utilized at 100% when processing at full detail, yet processing times are so much slower. Because of all this I decided to stick with the default settings, where only a few competitions are at full detail.

How do you run this benchmark?

First, download benchmark save game from one of the following mirrors:

Mega

Second, ensure that auto save interval is disabled, and also set processing to Fastest (Can't Interrupt), found at Preferences, More Match Settings.

Optionally, restart your computer and close any unnecessary programs before running this benchmark. From my experience this has very small effect on processing times, if at all. Also, there was no difference in processing speed with/without huge graphics folder.

After you load benchmark save game, just go on holiday for a week, and measure time needed for processing.

Post your results in the following format:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K

CPU Frequency: 3300 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1333 MHz CL8

Time: 5 min 01 sec

kJJJcsI.jpg

Great to have this one back. Love comparing.

CPU: Intel 1 i7-3820

CPU Frequency: 3.6 GHZ

RAM: 8GB 1666MHZ

Time: 5 min 13 sec

Quite happy with that result. Glad i did the upgrade from my original FM12 benchmark.

OK....ran the test.

CPU: Intel i5 2500K

CPU Frequency: 4000 Mhz

RAM: 8GB 1666Mhz

Time: 4 min 20 sec

Test run here...

CPU: Intel i7-3630QM

CPU Frequency: 2.4 Ghz

Time: 5 min 53 sec

Think it may be able to do better, will probably run again later.

I ran the test after a reboot.

Cpu: Intel i7-4770k

CPU Frequency: 3900 MHz

RAM: 32GB 2400 MHz Cas10

Time: 3 min 29 sec

CPU: Intel i7 2600K

CPU Frequency: 4300 MHz

RAM: 16GB 1600 MHz CL9

Time: 3 min 57 sec

With the i7s being a little faster than the i5s, it seems as though FM2014 is taking advantage of the hyperthreading.

Anyone with an FX8xxx cpu here who can see how it performs?

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3

CPU Frequency: 3300 MHz

RAM: 16GB 1600 MHz CL8

Time: 4 min 04 sec

Test run here...

CPU: Intel i7-3630QM

CPU Frequency: 2.4 Ghz

Time: 5 min 53 sec

Think it may be able to do better, will probably run again later.

My laptop has exactly the same specs as yours, so guess you just saved me some time doing the test myself:D

CPU: Intel Q9550

CPU Frequency: 2.83Ghz

RAM: 4GB 1000Mhz Cas 5

Time: 7 min 35 sec

single thread most of the time, except when processing matches

For some reason I can't seem to paste results from Excel into forum table anymore. All data gets pasted into one cell. I'll try to find a workaround, so I can publish results.

7 day vacation

CPU: Intel i7 930

FHz:2.80 GHz stock, Hard Overclocked to 3.19 GHz

RAM: 12 GB 1600 MHz

Time: 5m18s

Game Install on HDD

Save Game on SSD

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/5/2013, 12:23:27
      Machine name: STATION
  Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
          Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: OEM
      System Model: OEM
              BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
         Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
            Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12280MB RAM
         Page File: 4968MB used, 19588MB available
       Windows Dir: C:\Windows
   DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
  User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

I did it a second time after rebooting and saw no difference, in fact I gained 2 seconds.

After very succesful benchmark thread for FM12 I decided to give it a go again this year.

I applied the exact same settings as in FM12 (every league from every nation loaded - 117 leagues from 51 nations), but to my surprise processing time was approximately twice slower compared to FM12. As my relatively fast CPU needed almost 10 minutes to complete the benchmark I had to limit number of nations to all European countries (all 87 leagues from 34 nations loaded). With these settings now I have almost the same processing time as in FM12 benchmark. I am not sure if this means that FM14 engine is less optimized, or maybe more complex.

I have exactly the same machine and I already felt that with the same setup the game has become a lot slower. IMHO, I didn't get the feeling that anything substantial has been added to the game that justifies the decrease in processing speed. I even hoped that things would go faster in the long run with 64 bit optimization.

To me it seems the managing ai in fm14 is a bit more active now, which is great although it still need improvement, so that may be making the game a bit slower.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad

CPU Frequency: 2.66Ghz 2.67 Ghz

RAM: 2GB

Time: 9 min 15 seconds

Thanks for giving me a good idea of how it would run on my old system.

Now i can stop thinking about it.

Results that we have so far have been added to the first post. Haswell CPUs seem to be doing particularly well. Also, it seems that Win 7 allows better results than Win 8, but we need more data to investigate this further.

Thanks for giving me a good idea of how it would run on my old system.

Now i can stop thinking about it.

I'm actually in the process of researching for a new computer, so the chance for me to see how much better the new chips are compared to mine is invaluable for me.

It also makes the stats here more interesting for others to read because they can see a bigger range of scores ;-)

I can't confirm that win 7 is running faster than win 8. I have almost the same result on both os

With the i7s being a little faster than the i5s, it seems as though FM2014 is taking advantage of the hyperthreading.

Anyone with an FX8xxx cpu here who can see how it performs?

I have an FX8350, I'll give it a go when I have a chance.

I have an FX8350, I'll give it a go when I have a chance.

CPU: AMD FX-8350

CPU Frequency: 4.01 GHz

RAM: 16GB 1600 MHz

Time: 5 min 40 sec

Note: I had a couple programs in the background

Guys, maybe the wrong thread but am in the process of uprgading my PC, i'm currently running a AMD 1055 2.8 six core and 8gb of RAM.

I'm looking at a new i5 or i7 also would an increase in RAM be worthwhile?

Any advice?

I think 8 gb ram is more than enough for fm, I m not sure how much of an impact ram speed has though but it seems that the setup with the faster ram are on top here,I could try lowering my ram speed and rerun that test if that helps though. As for processor choice best cost/performance seems to be the i5 if you dont mind overclocking them.

If cost is not an issue or if you dont care about overclocking, go for the newer i7.

It's not an issue as such, but I'd still rather spend less. Like I said the AMD phenom 1055tt was pretty good. Just it's time for a revamp and the new i5's haswells are looking pretty good. I need to bear in mind I don't multitask or video edit etc. I think the i5 will be more than enough. Stick a half decent graphics card in and I should see much better performance than the phenom.

Macbook Air 11" Mid 2013 Haswell Model

CPU: Intel i5

CPU Frequency:1.3GHz Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz

RAM: 4 GB

Time:8 min 25 sec

Apparently air's are not designed for gaming :D . I'll post the results with my i7 4770k as soon as I receive my ROG motherboard.

Hello yugo23,

it would be interesting, to create a classic game with the same league and player configuration and compare it to the normal mode benchmark. How much is classic mode faster?

Greetings

Teeblatt

CPU: i5 3570k

CPU Frequency: 3.40GHz o/c @ 4.40GHz

RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz

Time: 4 min 41 sec

An older one for you here

CPU: Intel Core2 duo E8500

CPU Frequency: 3.16 GHz

RAM: 8GB - DDR2 6400

Time: 7 min 02 sec

Results updated in the first post. Didn't have much time lately, as I became a father. :)

Results updated in the first post. Didn't have much time lately, as I became a father. :)

Thank you and congratulations, apparently it's not worth it to upgrade my I5 2500K(maybe overclocking is the way to go).

CPU: Intel i7 4771

CPU Frequency: 3900 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1666 MHz CL9

Time: 3 min 41 sec

#1 CPU: Intel i7-3770K

CPU Frequency: 3.9GHz o/c @ 4.8GHz

RAM: 32GB 2133Mhz

Time: 2 min 11 sec

#2 CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-8320 4.0GHz o/c @ 5GHz

RAM: 16GB 2400Mhz

Time: 4 min 2 sec

For anyone that plays a LOT of FM with many leagues the i7 is worth it as it processes eight matches (threads) at once. No need for more than 8GB of RAM as FM is a 32bit application - memory usage never goes above 2.5GB with 32 leagues running. AMD processors simply don't cut the mustard with FM, Intels IPC (instructions per clock) are significantly better.

Anyone plays this game on Intel Pentium G3220??

If yes, then please share your benchmarks and experience...

For anyone that plays a LOT of FM with many leagues the i7 is worth it as it processes eight matches (threads) at once. No need for more than 8GB of RAM as FM is a 32bit application - memory usage never goes above 2.5GB with 32 leagues running. AMD processors simply don't cut the mustard with FM, Intels IPC (instructions per clock) are significantly better.

It's a shame really that FM only uses 2.5 gb, even phones are going 64bit nowadays.

Dudes, just dug out an oldish laptop that ive reloaded fm 13 on. Its an I7 2.4ghz but its only got 2gb (i stole the other mem for my other project). If i get some cheap 2gb then 4gb in totla should be fine ya? Bit skint at mo so extra 2gb was all i could afford. Ta

Dudes, just dug out an oldish laptop that ive reloaded fm 13 on. Its an I7 2.4ghz but its only got 2gb (i stole the other mem for my other project). If i get some cheap 2gb then 4gb in totla should be fine ya? Bit skint at mo so extra 2gb was all i could afford. Ta

What type of videocard is in this machine?

CPU: Intel i7 930

CPU Frequency: 2800 MHz

RAM: 6GB

Time: 5 min 19 sec

As an employee of Intel, I can tell you that the benefits are negligible, it is essentially the old model but with handpicked cuts of silicon. Save your money and get the i7-4770K for much better value.

Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2009

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo

CPU Frequency: 2.26 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Time: 13:55 :D

I knew it'd be really slow running over 100 leagues (wtf!) but I went ahead and did it to see how it differs after I install a 250GB 840 Samsung EVO. I'll update in two days!

T24

I tried a couple of ways after installing the new SSD:

With Maverick 10.9.4: 14:55--it actually was one full minute slower on Maverick--that along with other processes slowing down meant going back to 10.6.8.

With Snow Leopard 10.6.8 - 11:55--I shaved 2 full minutes of the 10.6.8 sans SSD time!!! I'm happy to see that it helped a bit on the game's actual speed.

So, final specs:

Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2009

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo

CPU Frequency: 2.26 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Time: 11:55

T24

CPU: Intel i5-4670

CPU Frequency: 3.4GHz

RAM: 8GB 1666MHZ

Time: 5 min 40 sec

FM and OS installed on 120GB Kingston SSD.

CPU: Intel i5-3470

CPU Frequency: 3.2GHz

RAM: 8GB

Time: 5 min 09 sec

Started timing the second I hit Go on Holiday, stopped it as soon as the calendar bar disappeared.

CPU: I7-4790k

CPU Frequency: 4600 MHz

RAM: 16GB 2400Mhz CL10

Time: 2 Min 47 Sec

Well, that is some serious processing power.