Insert Interesting Name Here - Tomtuck's Second FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

Wow things have certainly moved on a bit since I was last in here. Was expecting to sit down with my tea and read about Brighton in the Premier League. Great job at a difficult club. Looking forward to reading about the final month in the season.

Really wanting to start my own thread now! KUTGW!

Haha sorry to disappoint you and ruin your afternoon cuupa! :D

At that stage of my career I don't think I'd have moved unless it was for one of the big three in Portugal. (Got to treat it realistically I guess, and in the save I am Portuguese!). And seeing what happened to Benfica recently, I simply didn't feel I could turn them down.

He'll of a shoutout there, so unlucky!

These things happen unfortunately. Porto have so many great players, so even taking them to penalties is a bit of an achievement.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

183px-SL_Benfica_logo.svg.png

Bruno Gama's Management Career - April 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Apr2018_zps8157645d.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Apr2018_zps3b79f591.png

A great month, and we are the Champions!!!

The month began with a game that really made me believe we would be champions. Twice we trailed to Beira-Mar, but we came back at them to 5-2. A tough trip to Maritimo followed, and we had to come from behind to get the result. Youngster Rui Miguel equalised just a minute after they had gone ahead, and then with just minutes to go Rodrigo slammed home to win it. Before the Sporting game Porto lost 1-0 at Academica, meaning that victory would put us seven points clear with just three games left to play. We managed to beat them, in stunning style. Porto at home. Even just a draw and we win the title. That was the way the game was heading throughout - it was nervy and tense, but with just five minutes to go Rodrigo snatched it thanks to some great link up play with Victor Andrade, and we were Champions!!!

Taça da Liga - Final

CareerSave-TacadeLigaFixtures-Apr2018_zpsdc8509ff.png

Porto got some sort of revenge on us for mising out on the title. They deserved this in all honesty, although we did leave a couple of players on the bench with this being sandwhiched inbetween the two Europa Semi Finals matches. We did take it to penalties and could have got lucky, but it wasn't to be. Porto deservedly won on penalties.

Europa Leage - Quarter Final 1st & 2nd Leg

And Semi Final 1st Leg

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeFixtures-Apr2018_zpsc1351988.png

Excellent stuff once against the German sides.

Over two legs we swept Gladbach aside, though in the first leg we did have to come from behind. The second leg was much better overall, even if two goals came early and two late. Rodrigo got a lovely hattrick, and we were through to the semi finals after a 6-2 aggregate win. Stuttgart are our opponents in the semi's, and the first leg has proved a bit nervy. Like Wolfsburg, Stuttgart play that horrible midifield box which I find hard to break down. We did dominate the game and led 1-0 going into stoppage time. However they equalised in the 90th minute, but then substitue Neilton scrambled in a winner in the 94th minute to mean we go into the second leg with a slender lead.

Oh yes!!!!! And clinched against Porto on the last day.

Last day?! Two games to go yet...........

Congrats! And in your first season there too. You're becoming a bit of a Mourinho. Where to next!?

The Champions League with Benfica of course! :D

Bruno Gama's Management Career - May 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-May2018_zps9cc90512.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-May2018_zps06996451.png

A mixed end to the season, but I don't suppose it matters too much!

The game at Guimaraes came just three days after the Europa League Semi Final 2nd leg and we had a load of tired players. They deserved it on the basis of starting quickly. Substitue Mattheus got a consolation late on, but it wasn't enough. Our final game of the season was against Braga, and in the end we finished off the season in style. Braga had a good first period, but we were awesome in the second period and scored three late goals to run out comfortable 4-0 winners.

Outstanding to finish nine points clear of Porto.

Europa League - Semi Final 2nd Leg

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeFixtures-May2018_zps9f0bac1f.png

Disappointing, but that bloody box midfield did for us as we simply couldn't create enough. We dominated play, (61% possession), but mustered just eight attempts. They scored the only goal of the game on the break, and took the tie on away goals. Disappointed.

Amazing job in the league!!! And unlucky in the Europa League, but I'm sure you will have a CL title in your hands in the next few seasons!

Well I'm not sure about that. As Porto have shown a couple of times this season, we're along way off some teams. They really did give us a bit of a battering a couple of times, even the scorelines were close.

We can grow, but I think winning the Champions League any time soon would be a huge ask.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Season Review 2017/18 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

Results 1 - Results 2 - Final Table (1st - Champions)

Simply outstanding.

Nine wins in a row at the tart was excellent and really set us up. A bit of inconsistency came in with two wins in five but after the defeat of Porto we dusted ourselves down and went and won seven in a row to really put us in a commanding position. The title was sealed in great fashion, with a 5-0 win over Sporting followed by a 1-0 win over Porto to wrap it up.

Winning it by nine points was brilliant. Repeating that margin might be tough!

Taça de Portugal

Eliminated in the 3rd Round

Dreadul against a side in the division below. Even with resting one or two, we should have been winning this game. Shambles.

Taça da Liga

Beaten Finalists

A funny little tournament, but good fun none the less.

The group stage was just goals galore. Was quite annoyed to concede three to a second division side, but thrilled with the win at Guimaraes. We put in a top performance in the semi final at Braga, and then faced Porto in the final. They were fully fit, us knackered after a Europa League game. We did well to draw and take it to penalties, but they deservedly deservedly won.

Europa League

Eliminated in the Semi Finals

A great campaign, and even more than I imagined.

At the start of the season I did fancy a bit of a run in the competition, but to get so close to the final was exceptional. Particular highlights were the 5-1 win away to Beiktas and the 3-0 aggregate win over Werder Bremem. Evetually our third German opponents in a row did for us, and they went on to win the final. No disgrace in going out to the eventual winners.

Other Info

Squad Stats - Transfers - Finances

Some top performances throughout the season. Delighted to see so many players getting double figures in terms of goals, and just so many making contributions. We have some great young players in the first team squad and taking this squad forward should be very exciting.

Regarding transfers we made great profit overall which was desperately needed after some poor financial management in recent years. A particular highlight in that regarding was selling Igor Bubnjic for £3.6million after he signed on a free in the summer. We were also very shrewd with some of our other free's, but the highlight was Mattheus joining for just £1.6million.

The finances have improved since I took over, and only will do further in the coming season with our participation in next seasons Champions League. The balance right now is low, but it will only get better.

Top 3 Players

Mattheus

Not much to say really. The stats speak for themselves. What a bargain at £1.6million.

Lisandro Lopez

Superb at the back all season and even chipped in with seven goals.

Neilton

He set us back just £120,000! Great season - 21 goals in 33 appearances is excellent.

What Next

Not sure really. Any transfer activity will be probably dictated by what funds we bring in. Other than that I'm looking to recruit more backroom staff and restructure one of two things in the background.

How are my Former Clubs Doing?

Bukovyna

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season    |  League            |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                            |  Other
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2015/16  |  Premyer-Liha  |  9th         |                                                       |  Beaten in Europa Lge Playoff Rnd
| 2016/17  |  Premyer-Liha  |  16th       |  Relegated                                     |  
| 2017/18  |  Persha Liha     |  9th         |                                                       |  

The slide continues. After relegation last season they were predicted to challenge for promotion, but they never looked like doing so. Only a late run of good form lifted them into midtable. I fear for them.

Brighton

| Season    |  League            |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                            |  Other
| 2017/18  |  Premier Lge    |  20th       |  Relegated                                     |

Horrific. Dougie Freedman led them to just two league wins all season and they didn't win any of their final eighteen games. The finished with just twenty points and were eighteen adrift of nineteenth placed Stoke. They also went out of the FA Cup in the fourth round to League One Fleetwood. Dreadful.

I find it more astonishing that Brighton were managed by a former manager of their most hated rivals. No wonder they went down.

And that Mattheus looks an amazing player. Cannot believe how cheap you got him for. Amazed his current value is only £6m, too.

Well done on the league title & unlucky in Europe.

I must say that your thread has inspired me to have a real go at a journeyman career. I must say i am loving it despite it being a lot more difficult than i thought it would be. I have had to totaly readjust my thinking on what makes a good player.

Thats a fantastic season there mate, really romped the league :thup:

Well we did in the end. Was as much down to Porto dropping silly points in the second half of the season, (draws at Gil Vicente, home to Rio Ave, defeat at Academica), as much as anything else. The fact that we had to face bith them and Sporting at home also helped.

Impressive stuff!

Given your propensity to jump ship when you've taken a club as far as you can, on the assumption that you do retain the title, do you have any destination country in mind?

I see relatively few people playing in Italy - does that appeal at all?

I'm not sure I had taken Brighton as far as I could, but Benfica was just impossible to turn down. Maybe there's unfinished business there?

As for a next move, the only thing that had crossed my mind was Newcastle as they were really struggling in March, (17th in the league), but they won four of their last six to climb to safety. Looking at Italy, Roma finished down in 13th this season, maybe if that have another poor season.

As much as I am looking to stay here for longer, it is a World Cup year. Who knows what might be available later this summer.

I find it more astonishing that Brighton were managed by a former manager of their most hated rivals. No wonder they went down.

And that Mattheus looks an amazing player. Cannot believe how cheap you got him for. Amazed his current value is only £6m, too.

They deserve everything they get for appointing him! :D

I still can't believe the Mattheus thing. He was simply offered to me for that price by his agent - I couldn't exactly say "No". New contract on the way for him with a massive buy-out clause - he deserves it.

just read all through this , well done tom on your success , keep it up

Thanks alot. Hope you keep reading. :)

Well done on the league title & unlucky in Europe.

I must say that your thread has inspired me to have a real go at a journeyman career. I must say i am loving it despite it being a lot more difficult than i thought it would be. I have had to totaly readjust my thinking on what makes a good player.

Cheers fuzzrab. :thup:

As I have said many times before, I would recommend a journeyman save to anyone. My FM12 one was easily my best save on any FM, and this one is looking like being of similar standard.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Season Preview 2018/19 - Benfica

Board Expectations

Liga ZON Sagres - Challenge For The Title

Taça de Portugal - Not Important

Taça da Liga - Not Important

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira - Not Important

Champions League - Reach Group Stage

Personal Expectations

Liga ZON Sagres - I'd like to retain it

Taça de Portugal - Do Better Than Last Year

Taça da Liga - Play The Kids

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira - It's Against Sporting - Win

Champions League - Get Out The Group

Odd set of expectations from the board. They seemingly don't want anything except for us to challenge for the league, and I don't get the Champions League expectations given that we're already in the group stage. From my point of view, I'd just like to do as well as we can domestically and get far as we can in the Champions League for the benfit of the finances.

Budgets

Transfer: £1,036,279

Wages: £364,393 p/w (Currently spending £283,443)

Balance: £1,339,997 (+£7,367,367)

Happy enough with the budgets. I knew that the finances still wouldn't be great right now, but they will improve over the course of the season with Champions League football. I'm not not looking to bring in much apart from young players, so a big transfer budget isn't needed.

Just catching up on this thread, congratulations on the league success! Unlucky in the Europa League and although Porto beat you in the cup to lose after so many penalties is still unlucky. Champions League will obviously help with the finances looking to sell any one to finance a couple in? Or do you think you can manage to sign a couple of youngsters with the current budget? Can you send scouts out to Brazil?

Just catching up on this thread, congratulations on the league success! Unlucky in the Europa League and although Porto beat you in the cup to lose after so many penalties is still unlucky. Champions League will obviously help with the finances looking to sell any one to finance a couple in? Or do you think you can manage to sign a couple of youngsters with the current budget? Can you send scouts out to Brazil?

For starters, cheers! Last season was even better than I'd hoped. :)

Not looking to sell really, but I know that every player has a price and that reasonable offers have to be considered. The budget is so low as I've already signed up one of last years loan players on a permanent deal, (It cost me £2.8million of the initial budget that was set out at the end of last season), and I'd already agreed a couple of free transfers.

Regarding scouts, they've had free reign since I took over. This summer Ive already brought in a young Colombian and a young Brazilian. :thup:

Funny enough I just got my first job on my journeyman (inspired by this thread) at Olhanense. How are they doing in your save?

They've just hung around in midtable and towards the bottom of the table throughout the save. Never been relegated, highest finish of ninth. All a bit dull really

Could have learnt from your past record and signed you up to a long deal to get some compensation when you move again. When are you starting your new season?

Ha yes they might have learnt after what happened at Brighton! :D

Not sure on the new season, back into the full swing of work this week so not got much free time. (I do 7am-6pm a few days). Probably wont be until Friday night/Saturday daytime before I go to Manchester. Free all day on Sunday though so be on a fair bit then.

wow that's a killer! What do you do for work (if you don't mind me asking).

Look forward to the update. My career is taking a nosedive so need some positivity to read!

Have just had a look at it. :thup:

I don't mind answering that. I work in a place that deals with car warranty. We mainly deal with Porsche's, Merc's, cars like that. I basically oversee the three teams of phone staff. In short, I work in a glorified call centre and I'm incharge of almost everyone! :D

Yeah I've threaded: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380756-FM14-My-European-Adventure.

I'm not doing too good after a good start.

Sounds like a tough job, guess you deal with all the angry Porsche *******, too. Won't derail this thread anymore with real life talk. Perhaps harass you about it on twitter or in the GPTG big thread.

And hurry up and get an update! :D

I think I'm doing the opposite with mine, unfortunately.

Depends what you see as progress?

Personally I'd have thought just keeping Olhanense in the division would be a solid first season, and then from there you look to grow. No need to be in a rush. Just make sure yoy meet the boards expectations first and foremost, and anything thereafter is a bonus.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Preseason 2018/19 - Benfica

Transfers

CareerSave-BenficaPreseasonTransfers-Summer2018_zpsf85e91e6.png

Considering our budget, this has been a great summer. The boards initial budget back at the end of May was nearer £4million, hence why I was able to structure a deal of £5million for one player. Of the players who left, Almeida, Mitrovic, and Oblak, were on around £25,000 p/w between them, so that is just over £1million over the course of the year that we were able to invest elsewhere. The others were just 'B' Team/young players who were no longer needed at the club.

Here are the players that have come into the club;

Nicolas

Yes he needs a bit of work, but in the long term he could be an absolute bargain at just £1million. Happy enough already with his technicals, it's his mentals and phyicals need the immediate work.

Foguete

Important signing. Last season he was on loan at the club for a second year in a row, and he was Mr.Consistency. We've paid £2million up front for him with the rest payable over 48months. He's very important to us.

German Canchilla

A very cheap signing, but gosh what a solid one he could prove to be. Equally adept at playing at CB or DM, he has some cracking stats technically and mentally that have room yet to be improved.

Abdelhak Nouri

Still young enough at 21, but there's alot of work to be done with him. Plenty of training is needed and he may not be ready for first team football for some time.

Ricardo Kishna

Picked up on a free, and I'm surprised that the AI have done a decent little job with him. He's not bad at all, and definitely worth a punt. If nothing else I might be able to sell him in a year or two for a little bit of profit/

Lorenzo Pezzi

Excellent young loan signing who could help fire us to some trophies. The only annoying thing is the agreed fee if we want to buy him - a staggering £16.75million.

Gustavo Colman

Brought in purely because he has a PPM that can only be learnt via tutoring. I overpaid without a doubt, but I reckon he can do a job for us.

Preseason Friedlies

CareerSave-BenficaPreseasonFixes2018-19_zps0b5286f2.png

Absolutely thrilled this season as I was bedding in a new tactical system. The 11-0 win over Padova, who have just been promoted to Serie A, was brilliant, even for preseason. A tour of South Korea followed and we won every game while we were out there. The only slightly disappointing bit came against Pohang; we led 7-0 and it was annoying to let in two goals late on! All in all, some good work outs for the players.

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseSuperCupFixtures-Aug2018_zps1c5f602f.png

Always nice to get the season off to a start with a trophy, especially when it's against your city rivals.

It was a real up and down game we really. We went 2-0 up after just a quarter of the game through wantaway man Rodrigo and loanee Pezzi. However SPorting hit back at us and at half time they had squared it all up at 2-2. After a slight tactical change at the break we came out and performed much better, scoring another two goals but without conceding again to win the match 4-2. Very satisfying indeed with the new system getting its first outing in a competitve game.

On with the season now! Our first game is away at Gil Vicente.

A great pre-season and some shrewd signings. Good luck with the rest of the season.

I'm more delighted, as you may have seen on Twitter, that I've managed to persuade Joaquim Silva to stay and that Rodrigo has asked to come off the transfer list. The two biggest "signings" of the summer.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - August 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Aug2018_zps9c81156e.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Aug2018_zps986370fa.png

Delighted with this start to the season - two solid wins and two cleansheets.

We started off with a great win at Gil Vicente, a game in which we dominated possession and rarely gave them a sniff at goal. Lorenzo Pezzi grabbed his first league goal for the club which was very pleasing. We then gave a similar performance against Beira-Mar, totalljy dominating and comfortably winning 2-0 with both Joaquim Silva and Foguete getting goals yet again.

Up next is a trip to Nacional de Madeira.

Kishna and Nouri :cool:

Nice start to the season too :)

Cheers.

Kishna has had a couple of niggles so far, (as you said he might), so has only managed a couple of sub appearances. Nouri will be broken in via the cup this term probably. He needs so much work. We gave a two year contract though with an option for a further year, so he can assessed more after this season/throughout next season.

Champions League League Group Stage Draw

After missing out on the Champions League group stages for two years in a row, (the year before I took over the club lost in the Best Placed Playoff round and then only made it as far as the Europa League 1st Playoff Round, and then only finished 4th in the league that year), we were only seeded third for the draw. As a result we got a terribly tough looking group;

CareerSave-CLGrupDraw-2018-19_zpsc3556e9f.png

Well, it's a bit of a shocker. Real Madrid have an unreal squad of players, and Arsenal's isn't a bad one either. The spot of luck might be Helsinborg as we could have drawn someone tougher, such as one of the Italian clubs. Hopefully we can six points off the Swede's, and then who knows from there.

Archived