• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

183px-SL_Benfica_logo.svg.png

Bruno Gama's Management Career - September 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Sep2018_zps6bb8e374.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Sep2018_zps69a363b6.png

Four wins from four in September makes maintains our 100% start to the season. Spiffing.

We were uttanding against Nacional in the firt half, and then we slacked off. They really came back into it as we got sloppy and got back to 2-2 in the 88th minute. Thankfully though Fabio popped up from leftback with an absolute screamer to win it for us. After the international break Braga were swept aside with comfort. 2-0 up again at the break, only this time we closed it out. A massive game against Porto followed, and we definitely didn't disappoint. Joaquim Silva got us off to a great start after just ten minutes, but Porto came back into it. They managed to get alot of shots away, but most of them were from outside the box. Just before the break Foguete popped up with a fourth goal of the season to send us in 2-0 infront. The second half was a case of us controlling possession and Porto throwing in more shots from range. We then hit them on the break late on to go 3-0 up - dreamland! Porto though got one back straight away from a setpiece, but we saw out the remaining minute for a great win. The final game of the month was a good, solid win away at Arouca. Youngster Choquito Rocha fired in just after half an hour, and then late on he played a lovely ball through for Eduardo Salvio to wrap the points up.

Six from six, and next we face a trip to city rivals Sporting.

Champions League - Group Stage

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Sep2018_zps97344c07.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Sep2018_zps96f22684.png

Well I can't over emphasise what a great point this is.

In all honesty we took a bit of a battering, but Salih Tunc had a great game in goal for us. Just after the hour mark Real took the lead after a shot flew off the post traight to Gareth Bale who had an easy tap-in. We then really came back into it, and fourteen minutes later got an equaliser through Foguete. Ok it was a misshit cross, but I didn't care! We nearly won it in stoppage time, but Joaquim Silva's effort went just the wrong side of the post.

A great point to start the group stages with. Now we face Helsinborg at home and three points is a must if we want to have a chance of qualifying.

Great point in Madrid :thup:, just the other 5 games to negotiate now!

Three of them at home. As I said previously, win a couple of those and we're in with a chance.

Bloody hell. Don't feel so bad now seeing Olhanense at the bottom of the table.

Some cracking results there, Tom. And what a result against Madrid!

They'll be fine - they always are!

As for Madrid, we took an absolute pounding really.

Fantastic to get a draw against Real Madrid :cool:

More than luck than judgement I think. :D

Bruno Gama's Management Career - October 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Oct2018_zps0c8a26f6.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Oct2018_zpsf1d51e86.png

Two good wins, the first one stonking!

We put in an outstanding performance against city rivals Sporting, although we did need a setpiece to breakthrough initially. After the first goal we started to play more freely, and it was only a surprise it took us so much time to get the second. When Javi Garcia smashed a third home with nineteen minutes to go we were flying! Annoyingly Sporting got one back, but it was just a consolation as we fairly comfortably won 3-1. The Maritimo game saw us have to come from behind after trailing at the break. They took the lead inside the opening twenty minutes, and at half time my players needed a bit of a kick up the bum. We came out and equalised quickly when a Foguete cross was turned hime by a Maritimo defender. Telve minutes later Ricardo Kishna arrived from the left to slot home what proved to be the winner.

Our next game is at home to Pacos Ferreira.

Taça de Portugal - 3rd Round

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseCup-Oct2018_zpsbe1bf115.png

What a terrific performance. Funny game as Porto had plenty of shots, but just like the league game they were having most of them from long range, whereas as we had more possession. All things considered it would have probably have been fairer had it gone all the way to penalties, but just after the hour mark one of our young kids, Joaquim Silva grabbed what proved to be the winner. A bit barrier broken down for the team with this win.

In the fourth round we will face Tondela of the second division, at home.

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Oct2018_zps2009e26a.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Oct2018_zps19f7e566.png

Two great wins, the second one especially, and we're flying!

We dominated againt Helsinborg and should have won by a couple more, but after going 2-0 up we just controlled possession and didn't take our chance when they came. The Arsenal game was something special. We flew out the traps and got an early goal which helped us massively. From there we were able to keep the ball more at the back without taking many risks. When the second goal came after a bit of Arsenal pressure we were in dreamland, and from there we were able to really control the match. In the second half Arsenal pressed but out goalkeeper didn't have anything too troubling to deal with. A great three points were ours.

We next travel to London to face Arsenal, and then face Real at home. Massive two games that which will go a long way to determining whether we get out the group.

wow - a perfect month. Sporting seem to be struggling this season, not the best of starts for them. It looks like your CL group will need a couple of wins to go through. Normally 10 points is enough but your group is very close.

Sporting are in a bit of mess really. They have little money and improving their squad is difficult. They didn start last season in similar style, but soon got themselves tucked in behind us and Porto.

As for the Champions League, it's getting those wins that might be the problem. We should win our final game in Sweden, but the other two will be very tough.

Sporting are in a bit of mess really. They have little money and improving their squad is difficult. They didn start last season in similar style, but soon got themselves tucked in behind us and Porto.

As for the Champions League, it's getting those wins that might be the problem. We should win our final game in Sweden, but the other two will be very tough.

4 points should be the target to see you though I think. Guess it depends on the Arsenal v Madrid game.

Excellent month all-round.

Why thank you. A couple more months like this and I'll be laughing all the way to the trophy cabinet! :D

4 points should be the target to see you though I think. Guess it depends on the Arsenal v Madrid game.

I agree with that. Like I said, a win at Helsinborg should realistically come, so just need something from the other two. Real have been getting back to form recently, so the Arsenal game might be my best bet.

CareerSave-BenficaHoustonLink-Oct2018_zpsde77d3d2.png

Terrific news for the club. Apart from the obvious financial benefits, we can have the pick of some great young players from Houston's youth facilities, which are described as being "superb".

CareerSave-BenficaExtraTransferFunds-Oct2018_zpsdc44f16a.png

Not that I'm really fussed about the additional funds, this is great news and real sign of the improved financial situation since I joined the club.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - November 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Nov2018_zps2e40d15e.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Nov2018_zps61289268.png

Two solid wins and we've now won ten out of ten in the league.

We opened up with a 4-1 win at home to bottom side Pacos Ferreira. The first half really didn't go to plan and we trailed at the break. A few stern words at the break seemed to do the trick, and within nine minutes of the second half we were 3-1 up and the game was all but over. We added another late on to complete the second half turnaround. We then travelled to struggling Guimaraes, but they put up some stern resistance. One goal was enough to win it, and it was Mattheus who delievered just after the hour mark.

We have a trip to Olhanense next, the first of five league games in December.

Taça de Portugal - 4th Round

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseCup-Nov2018_zpsc4dd0ff7.png

A excellent performance in the end after we had fallen behind after just two minutes! We did level things up just seven minutes later, and shortly before the break Eduardo Salvio put us ahead. In the first minute of the second half we added a third, and then a fourth followed on the hour mark. It probably should have been more, but given the rotation I was happy with the 4-1 win.

In the next round we face Leixoes at home.

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Nov2018_zps3cd6d896.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Nov2018_zpsbce2b2c5.png

Speechelss. Two brilliant results have seen us qualify for the first knockout round!

We went to London to face Arsenal in much the same line of thinking as we did when we went to Real - just give a good account of ourselves. Well we did give a good account of ourselves, and in the end I was a bit disappointed only to draw, such was the quaity of our performance. We took the lead after 38mins but Arsenal equalised stright away. They did have more shots than us, but we had more possession and the better quality of chances. Still, a point was very decent. Then, Real Madrid came to town. The group was ever so tight with us on eight points and Real and Arsenal both on seven. I'd have been happy with a draw meaning we'd just have to win at Helsinborg to qualify, but jesus my lads took the game by the scruff of the neck. A lovely cross from Foguete was turned into his own goal from Varane early on, and then for some reason my halfback Javi Garcia charged got forward on the counter attack and swept home from the edge of the box. 2-0 on the troke of halftime - dreamland! Just before the hour mark another counter led to Rodrigo slotting home for 3-0. Isco got oneback from a direct freekick with fifteen minutes to go, but despite an onslaught we held on, and even added a fourth in the 89th minute when Javi Garcia nodded in his second from a corner to give us an emphatic 4-1 win.

We finish the group off away to Helsinborg, knowing a win will guarantee we top the group.

Fantastic month. Salvio looks a great player. Could you post a screenshot of him when you get a chance. Still can't believe that win over Madrid. That has almost certainly knocked them out of the CL if they don't get a result against Arsenal.

Salvio is decent, but he's more than likely going to be on his way in the transfer window as he has asked to leave. I want to keep hold of him, but there's not really much room for him in this system of mine as I don't play with an AMR and have better options at AML.

Anyway, here he is; Eduardo Salvio

I'm more bothered about keeping him as he has a personality I like for tutoring. However, having his £18,750 p/w off the wage bill will be good.

Good results in all of the fixtures. Are you tempted to rest your first team players against Helsinborg?

How much are you looking to sell Salvio for?

What formation are you playing Tom?

I might rest one or two, but nothing too drastic as I want to secure top spot in the group. Can't take the risk of resting players and dropping points just incase Arsenal go to Madrid and win.

Salvio is all but gone now for a very small fee of just £450,000. No one was offering any more, so it looks like he's off to the Premier League and Hull City. At the end of the day he's nearing 29 and it gets near £1million a year off my wage bill. Happy enough with that as their isn't really a regular place for him in the formation I'm employing.

As for the formation, it's a 3-2-2-2-1. (GK, RCB, LCB, LB, RWB, DM, RCM, LCM, AMRC, AML, STC). I'm not going into roles, instructions, etc. as they are tailored to suit the players I have.

Salvio looks good. Great physicals. £19k is a lot to save a week though. Assuming you have enough cover for him? Surprised he left you for Hull City. I think you're a better option, considering your league position and Champions League football. Odd one. How are Hull doing? Did he get a pay rise for going? Why did he ask to go, anyway?

Salvio looks good. Great physicals. £19k is a lot to save a week though. Assuming you have enough cover for him? Surprised he left you for Hull City. I think you're a better option, considering your league position and Champions League football. Odd one. How are Hull doing? Did he get a pay rise for going? Why did he ask to go, anyway?

Well I don't need cover for him as he rarely plays. Just look at the screenshot; it's December and he has hardly appeared. It's understandable that at 28/29 he wants to be playing more. I simply don't use an AMR and that's where he's best. Does ok at AML, but I already have better options there than him.

Hull are midtable in the Premier League at the minute. But as for contract he has agred with them, I don't know and I don't really care. :D

Pretty much set for top and great 100% record in the league.

Cheers. :)

Unfortunately the 100% record didn't last too much longer, but to have won every league game in the first third of the season will go along way towards helping us retain the title.

Well I don't need cover for him as he rarely plays. Just look at the screenshot; it's December and he has hardly appeared. It's understandable that at 28/29 he wants to be playing more. I simply don't use an AMR and that's where he's best. Does ok at AML, but I already have better options there than him.

Hull are midtable in the Premier League at the minute. But as for contract he has agred with them, I don't know and I don't really care. :D

Ah you're right. I opened the image on my phone so only glanced over the stats.

That's an amazing result against Madrid! great job!

Helps when you get an own goal and a setpiece helping you along the way. But thanks, I was still pleased.

Superb going.

Cheers SRL. Hope we can continue in the same vain.

Ah you're right. I opened the image on my phone so only glanced over the stats.

Like I said, it's not about not liking him, it's just about the system I'm playing. He simply doesn't fit.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - December 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Dec2018_zpsc82dc316.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Dec2018_zps4156a5c2.png

A great month as we extended our lead at the top of the table, besides dropping our first points of the season.

We dominated against Olhanense early on but only got the breakthrough thanks to an own goal. We then couldn't kill the game off, and in the last minute a rare error from goalkeeper Salih Tunc gifted the home side an equaliser. We bounced back to winning ways by thumping Setubal 4-1 with Joaquim Silva and Neilton getting one apiece and halfback Pedro Rodrigues grabbing a double- what he was doing getting forward is anyones guess! We then won three more games on the spin keeping three cleansheets in the process, something that I am very pleased about. Against Academica Victor Andrade got his first goal of the the season, and Joaquim Silva kept us his decent little run grabbing goals against both Academica and Portimonense.

All in all, a great month. Up next after the little break for Christmas is a trip to Beira-Mar.

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Dec2018_zps0fe164a2.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Dec2018_zps8dc0ab0e.png

I rested a couple of players against Helsinborg despite needing a win to guarantee we top the group. We got the perfect start when Rodrigo scored after 24 seconds. From then on we took total control, but the second only came from the penalty spot through Lorenzo Pezzi. Helsinborg grabbed one with fifteen minutes to go, but we won another penalty nine minutes from time and Pezzi again slotted home.

The draw for the first knockout round couldn't have been much tougher.

Taça da Liga - Group Stage

In mid-December the draw for the 3rd phase of the Taça da Liga was made and we got a comfortable enough draw, with Arounca, who are fifth in the league, being the toughest side we will face.

CareerSave-BenficaTacadeLigaFixtures-Dec2018_zpsd1e31369.png

CareerSave-BenficaTacadeLigaTable-Dec2018_zps7f2a4cd0.png

A real good performance by us in an attacking sense, especially in the first half when we slammed in four to lead 4-1 at the break. Olhanense got another early in the second half but they didn't mount a proper fightback, and we wrapped it up late on with a fifth from skipper Lisandro Lopez.

We have Maritimo at home next, and we round the group off against Arouca, also at home.

Another excellent month, Tom. I did find it amusing that it was Olhanense that took your 100% record in the league, but glad you recovered to go on and win the other games.

That Champions League performance was amazing. It's a shame that all your efforts to get top resulted in you getting the worst possible draw in the next round.

Another excellent month, Tom. I did find it amusing that it was Olhanense that took your 100% record in the league, but glad you recovered to go on and win the other games.

That Champions League performance was amazing. It's a shame that all your efforts to get top resulted in you getting the worst possible draw in the next round.

Cheers, and sod off! Was not happy about that Olhanense game at all. Dominated so much and simply couldn't bury them. :thdn:

The Champions League was a bit ridiculous in terms of who won/who came runners-up in the groups. With us, Porto, Marseille, and Olympiacos winning our groups, it was always likely to be a tough draw. Out all the 2nd placed teams, there wasn't really anyone I fancied apart from Ajax. The other two that on the face of it I wouldn't have minded were Monaco and Schalke. But looking at their squads, they both have some great players.

Cheers, and sod off! Was not happy about that Olhanense game at all. Dominated so much and simply couldn't bury them. :thdn:

The Champions League was a bit ridiculous in terms of who won/who came runners-up in the groups. With us, Porto, Marseille, and Olympiacos winning our groups, it was always likely to be a tough draw. Out all the 2nd placed teams, there wasn't really anyone I fancied apart from Ajax. The other two that on the face of it I wouldn't have minded were Monaco and Schalke. But looking at their squads, they both have some great players.

That's crazy to have those teams winning the groups. Although looking at the way you so easily dispatched of Real Madrid, I'm confident you can do the same to Bayern. I wonder what the bookies will give me for the treble.

That's crazy to have those teams winning the groups. Although looking at the way you so easily dispatched of Real Madrid, I'm confident you can do the same to Bayern. I wonder what the bookies will give me for the treble.

Well I hope it turns out as easily, (err, we got pummled both times), as the Real games, but I'm not holding out much hope to be perfectly honest.

And why not ask for odds on the quadruple instead?! :D

Bruno Gama's Management Career - January 2019 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Jan2019_zps28b9bed3.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Jan2019_zpsb324957b.png

A good start to the new year with us stretching our latest winning run to six games.

Against Beira-Mar we were terrible in the first half. We fell behind in the second minute, and were thankful to Salih Tunc for saving a penalty in the 24th minute to keep us just 1-0 behind. We got an equaliser just before the break through Pedro Rodrigues, and in the second half we totally took control. Rodrigues got a second just after the hour mark, and Joaquim Silva all but secured the win thirteen minute from time. We won a later penalty, which Rodrigues took and scored, meaning a 4-1 win and a hattrick for our halfback! We saw off Gil Vicente in comfortable fashion, with Brazilian's Foguete and Victor Andrade getting the goals in a 2-0 win.

Up next is Nacional da Madeira at home.

Taça de Portugal - 5th Round

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseCup-Jan2019_zps5a813eb1.png

Lorenzo Pezzi hasn't impressed at times during his loan spell this season, but at other times he has done things like this. He was just fantastic in the first half, taking every chance that came his way. 5-0 up at the break, and Leixoes were well beaten. We slacked off in the second period, but Rodrigo did add a sicth late on with a stunning freekick to wrap up a great win.

In the quarter finals we face a trip to the side who knocked us out in last season thrid round - Feirense.

Taça da Liga - Group Stage

CareerSave-BenficaTacadeLigaFixtures-Jan2019_zpsa69a1ba8.png

CareerSave-BenficaTacadeLigaTable-Jan2019_zps6c61b114.png

Two slim wins, but still through to the semi finals with a 100% record.

We totally dominated Maritimo, having 67% of the possession and 34 shots to 3. However, we struggled to convert those chances and it was left for right wingback Foguete to grab the winner with just nine minutes to go. In our final group game Arouca put up some stern resistance, but we managed to get into a 2-0 lead after 50mins. They came back at us though and got one back with twenty minutes to go to make things a bit nervy. We held on the ensure we finished the group with three wins from three.

In the semi finals we face a trip to Braga, who qualified from a group in which Porto were the seeded team!

Transfers

Arnaldo França

A player who really could be a coup. He needs some work on his mentals especially, but I really think he can be moulded into a star for many years to come. whether he'll play much this season remains to be seen.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - February 2019 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Feb2019_zps16f1187d.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Feb2019_zpscfa65a43.png

A pretty poor month and we have let Porto back into it.

The month didn't tart too badly, as we dominated for large parts of the game against Nacional. We finally got 2-0 infront and thought that was it, but we sloppily let them back into it, and just about held on in stoppage time. Braga then put in a great performance against us and probably only didn't win because they were a bit poor infront of goal. We got back to winning ways against Arouca, but that problem of conceding sloppily late on reared its ugly head again. Sporting then grabbed a point at our place after we faied to kill the game off. After going behind, we roared back to go 2-1 ahead just after halftime. However, Sporting equalised just after the hour mark, and despite some great chances we somehow didn't manage to win it.

With Porto winning all their games this month, they have now cut the gap to just four points. And our next game? Yep, Porto away. A huge fixture in this seasons title race, and unfortunately it comes just days after our trip to Germany to face Bayern.

Taça de Portugal - Quarter Final

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseCup-Feb2019_zpsa70e7362.png

Very comfotable win in the end, but early on Feirense gave it a real go. We took the lead just before the half hour mark, and from then on we blunted their early flourish. Two goals arrived in quick succession with just under 25mins to go, and that sealed a 3-0 win.

In the two legged semi-finals we face Beira-Mar, with the first leg away from home.

Taça da Liga - Semi Final

CareerSave-BenficaTacadeLigaFixtures-Feb2019_zpsc27c79ca.png

Ridiculous game of football and I really wasn't happy with our defending. We went 3-0 up but before half time Braga had pulled it back to 3-2. We showed greater control in the second half and all but sealed the game at 5-2, but again we let Braga back into it as with three minutes to go they got a third goal. It finished 5-3, and we're through to the final, but I wasn't happy.

We face city rivals Sporting in the final.

Champions League - 1st KO Round 1st Leg

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Feb2019_zpsd5449c44.png

For me, this tops anything we did against Arsenal or Real as we kept a cleansheet. Bayern totally dominated this game, (we managed just 38% possession), but we actually created just as many clear cut chance as them. Yes our attempts were few and far between, but did well we got the chance to counter. Goalkeeper Salih Tunc was man of the match, but all the team did their bit. A great result.

The return leg come on March 19th. What a huge moment that could be.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - March 2019 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Mar2019_zps28956f08.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Mar2019_zpsbdcc92e6.png

Well it has all gone a bit wrong.

That massive game at the start of the month was unbelievably tight. The only goal came on the stroke of halftime, as Douglas Costa had a long range effot deflected in. We pushed for an equalier in the second half, but Porto held out for a 1-0 win. We got back to winning ways with a terrific 4-1 win at Maritimo to stay top by a point, but things went wrong in the next match. Guimaraes came to town, and with the return leg against Bayern just a few days later I rested some players. Fair to say it went a touch wrong as we twice tok the lead and surrendered it. Porto won their game and stretched their lead to three points. The month finished with a solid win at Pacos Ferreira to atleast keep intouch with Porto, who had earlier won 3-0 over Beira-Mar.

They are all must wins games now, and next we face Olhanense at home.

Taça de Portugal - Semi-Final 1st Leg

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseCup-Mar2019_zps5310df25.png

Comfortable win to realistically see us through to the final as I can't see us letting a 2-0 lead slip away at home. I did rotate a bit, but it was solid enough without being spectacular. We should have scored more, but I was happy enough to get the win and the cleansheet - they've been in short supply recently.

Champions League - 1st KO Round 2nd Leg

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Mar2019_zpse5d1eeec.png

Just brilliant. This Champions League campaign continues to astound me!

The first half was very even, with both us and Bayern going close to taking the lead. Bayern really cranked up the pressure, but on the break we always looked dangerous. Just after the hour mark Rui Miguel met a corner from Mattheus, and with a stonking header he gave us the lead! Bayern continued to push, but with thirteen minutes to go we caught them on the counter and Victor Andrade turned smartly in the box before sliding into the bottom corner. 2-0, I couldn't believe it!

A great result, and the quarter final draw has been as kind as it could be.

Topping that Champions League group unbeaten is some going, and great results against Bayern :thup:.

Thanks alot. :)

I really am a bit stunned to be honest. We're going so well in the Champions League, but things have just gone to pot in the league!

Darn, I don't think you've slipped that badly but the trouble is how well Porto can take advantage of even a small blip.

I think it's probably done with. Porto have been on an insane run, winning ten games in a row in the league. I just can't see them slipping.

Porto are relentless. Good luck against Olhanense. They could become a bit of a nightmare for you this season.

Champions League was kind. I think you drew the best side there looking at the remaining candidates. What happened to Barcelona?

They're a total pain! :D

Barcelona went out at the group stage, finishing behind Marseille and Milan on just eight points!

Well done in the Champions league. Hope you can beat Marseille.

Thouroghly enjoying my journeyman save at the moment. It's bloody tough though. managing in Sapins 2nd div B and one team has a player on more wages than my entire wage budget. :)

Archived