FM14: *Potential ability spoiler* First time I've seen -10 potentials!

TheFiesty_One

Unless I've not looked properly on the last few versions of the game there's not to my knowledge been anyone with -10 potential when looking at the editor.

For those that don't know, (mainly) youth players in the game sometimes get given a "negative" potential ranging from -1 to -10. It is essentially 10 ranks of potential with each rank having going up in 30s. It basically allows them room to grow depding on training and other influences.

-10 = 170-200

-9 = 150-180

-8 = 130-160

-7 = 110-140

-6 = 90-120

-5 = 70-100

-4 = 50-80

-3 = 30-60

-2 = 10-40

-1 = 0-30

So I've previously only seen -9s before but this year

both Paul Pogba of Juventus and Marquinhos of PSG are -10

Are there any other players out there that share this potential on the game or not? I can't find any in the top 8 or so leagues

I tend to use Luke Shaw's potential as an example to judge people against. Considering his is

that's the kind of ability -9s on average will achieve during the game. However, as most of them don't have set determination attributes, this contributes greatly. Having above 15/16 determination with a -9 potential will make them so much better, in my experience, than a -9 with low determination attribute.

I tend to use Luke Shaw's potential as an example to judge people against. Considering his is

that's the kind of ability -9s on average will achieve during the game. However, as most of them don't have set determination attributes, this contributes greatly. Having above 15/16 determination with a -9 potential will make them so much better, in my experience, than a -9 with low determination attribute.

Arnt the hidden stats proffessionalism and ambition much more important for player growth than determination? especially the former?

Arnt the hidden stats proffessionalism and ambition much more important for player growth than determination? especially the former?

That's correct. Professionalism and ambition are the important attributes for a youngster's development. Determination can be improved either as the player gets older/more experienced or through tutoring (with more determined player, of course). Usually the personality and the media handling type could hint at a youngster's professionalism and ambition attribute.

On another note, it is interesting fact that a "-10" player could get a 170 PA while a "-9" player could get a 180 PA.....

On another note, it is interesting fact that a "-10" player could get a 170 PA while a "-9" player could get a 180 PA.....

True of course - but the more likely scenario due to the range of 30 will be that the -9 has a 66% chance of being 150 - 170 and the -10 has a 66% chance of 180 to 200

I take your point - but I guess that's the whole 'chance' of random pa!

However, as most of them don't have set determination attributes, this contributes greatly. Having above 15/16 determination with a -9 potential will make them so much better, in my experience, than a -9 with low determination attribute.

Determination doesn't affect player development.

Determination doesn't affect player development.

Not directly, but it affects how they play each game which affects their development.

A player with high determination will put the effort in to each game which should see them play better, which in turn will help boost their attributes through regular games.

Not directly, but it affects how they play each game which affects their development.

A player with high determination will put the effort in to each game which should see them play better, which in turn will help boost their attributes through regular games.

You could argue that all attributes do what you say btw so not sure why you'd isolate determination. Someone with good decisions will make more correct decisions, someone with good first touch will control the ball first time, someone with high technique will be better with the ball at their feet etc.

Determination is useful when going behind, that's when the attribute is most effective.

Determination is no different to any of the other attributes when it comes to player development. They all have an indirect impact if we are talking about the scenario you've just posted. There is nothing special about determination in this sense.

Gholiday - I've just deleted your post. Use the spoiler tags in future when mentioning a player and his CA/PA please as not everyone wants to know what it is.

Cleon - shouldn't post 4 be spoiler'ed? It refers to one of the -10's... so it's blatantly obvious.

Oh my mistake then guys. I always had it in my head that determination was the key attribute for youth player development, I didn't think of the ones outside of the "attribute page" in game.

So if it a definite that the higher ambition and professionalism a player has, the better he'll develop?

And on Januzaj, yes he's looking very promising at the minute, but I don't think giving him a

potential would be right. Don't forget that however good his performance against Sunderland was...it was against the team struggling at the bottom of the table with a manager clearly out of his depth. So I agree with the potential rating he's been given.

And on the note of "invisible" attributes which are:

Adaptability

Ambition

Consistency

Controversy

Important matches

Injury proneness

Loyalty

Pressure

Professionalism

Sportsmanship

Temperament

Versatility

I assume the higher attribute for each one is better than a low attribute? For example, with the attribute

injury proneness

I'm sure it's better to have a 1/20 rating than a 20/20 rating, right? Are there any other of these attributes that follow this suit, or is it better on all the others to be 20/20?

Hope that came across clear, I got a bit muddled up xD

pressure is how good a player is to deal with it so the higher the better! only injury proneness and controversy should be low! also controversy doesn't really have to be very low it's bad only if it's high( something like 10-11 it's still ok doesn't really have to be 1-2)

Cheers, I wasn't sure about that one and

pressure

as to whether or not it's how they deal with it or how likely they are to create it or how much it negatively affects them. I'd always assumed it was how well they dealt with it.

Pressure is a positive attribute, it's how well they can deal with pressure.

So following on from the fact that ambition and professionalism play a big part in developing a young player, how would you know this about a newgen player? Is there anything like his reputation or what not in the information tab that hints at the level of these stas? Or is there simply no way of knowing?

So following on from the fact that ambition and professionalism play a big part in developing a young player, how would you know this about a newgen player? Is there anything like his reputation or what not in the information tab that hints at the level of these stas? Or is there simply no way of knowing?

read more here( it refers to players personality and also newgens personality):

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/343043-Ajax-Youth-Development-%E2%80%93-When-The-Real-World-Meets-Football-Manager?p=8448837&viewfull=1#post8448837

• 3 months later...
Weren't there more -10s around before? I was under the impression the 'only' 3 this year were very little compared to earlier FMs. Above comments contradict that feeling though.

A few years a go I remember there were quite a few, then one year (FM11 or 12 perhaps?) it dropped down dramatically to just Ramsay.

Archived