Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Not going to quote it as I hate people who quote large posts, but darthrodent's post is the best I've seen on here, bar none.

Im curious what are these "other" issues? What is going to be changed? I'm asking, because I'd like to start a new long-term save and I don't know if i should wait for the update. If there are gonna be changes only in ME, I could start it now, because these changes should work also on existing saves. But if there are gonna be also some data-base changes or maybe something with finances etc. it could be a problem.

Nothing that would mean you'd need to start a new save.

The real fact is that if the ME was exploitable but realistic if you don't use exploits (like FM12) then no one would complain... perfect for beginners/experts

Just noticed that when you give your Director of Football the responsability to hire/fire staff, he gets to hire/fire Ass Man as well. Never really thought about that. To me that's one of the most important roles of my staff. I like my DoF to hire/fire physios and such as I don't really bother about those, but I am disappointed about my DoF firing my trusted Ass Man behind my back. Therefore I think there should be a separate part in the staff responsabilities where you can indicate who you want to hire/fire your Ass Man, just like you do for a lot of other jobs like Head Scout and Head Youth. I think it's a bit weird that Ass Man is put under 'Other Staff'.

A quick note on the mods. Believe it or not, the mods can and do help FM players. I do not believe for a minute they are blind defenders of the game. They want it to be as good as we do and they've played it a hell of a lot more than we have. It's perfectly fine to disagree with them and embark on mature discourse with them, but we really should be more trusting of them. For the most part, what they say matches my reality of the game far more than those opinions that blindly slam it. It would be a damn shame if they decided not to help anymore as a consequence of a minority of us making accusatory judgments that are quite simply not grounded on any sort of truth.

There are some good mods here, but I have to say the forums here are probably the only ones I've seen mods (one or two in particular) act in an inflammatory way towards paying customers. It's something they need to look at, but I suppose they're volunteers.

Anyway yes, generalisations do occur but there's much to be said about no smoke without fire. >_> There could be some methods used to limit such issues; a manual that's actually useful for example, a game that's "working" out of the box - maybe the ire at the 'patching' strategy is because it's been ongoing for far too many iterations of FM now? I don't know anyway, but I'd love to see little topics explaining stuff like, what effect does the weather have? What exactly does role A and B do? How do they differ? What's a good PPM for this role?

Y'know, there's some topics like that but they're not very exceptional or in-depth. There's loads of misinformation and contradictions across this and other sites. I mean the last topic on weather, if I google search, was 2011. More information and understanding in a nice consolidated place would be fab dab and might water down the moans. I've played FM for yonks, I still have to scan tons of topics to find information (reliable information). I've spent hours looking for help with setting up a scouting network, no dice. It's a drag. :(

Anyway, back to FM14. :)

Nothing that would mean you'd need to start a new save.

so does that mean the swedish problems have been left or are save compatible?

Just noticed that when you give your Director of Football the responsability to hire/fire staff, he gets to hire/fire Ass Man as well. Never really thought about that. To me that's one of the most important roles of my staff. I like my DoF to hire/fire physios and such as I don't really bother about those, but I am disappointed about my DoF firing my trusted Ass Man behind my back. Therefore I think there should be a separate part in the staff responsabilities where you can indicate who you want to hire/fire your Ass Man, just like you do for a lot of other jobs like Head Scout and Head Youth. I think it's a bit weird that Ass Man is put under 'Other Staff'.
Second that, my current DoF insta-fires any Assistant Manager of my choice. We seem to like different people.

The beta was fantastic imo and I couldn't wait for the full game to come out and start a long career from the lower league depths my beloved Luton Town are currently languishing in. But then patch 14.1.3 was released and made the game very unrealistic and unenjoyable for managers who like to take charge of clubs at the lower levels. The increased number of bugs is something I've also never seen before on any previous version of SI, with the ratings system, contract renewals at lower levels, opening transfer bid prices & number of goals in leagues all issues that are acknowledged by SI.

An option to go back to the beta version would be good - it was more enjoyable and had less playability problems than the current version. I suppose SI don't allow this because it would be a step backwards - or is it because the feedback and support for more than one version would be too complicated. IMO, they could make the beta version available for download with the caveat that no such support would be provided. People could then be playing that version and there might be less impatience from people waiting for the new patch.

I agree the game is not unplayable but it is unrealistic in many aspects in its current form.

....Anyway yes, generalisations do occur but there's much to be said about no smoke without fire. >_> There could be some methods used to limit such issues; a manual that's actually useful for example, a game that's "working" out of the box - maybe the ire at the 'patching' strategy is because it's been ongoing for far too many iterations of FM now? I don't know anyway, but I'd love to see little topics explaining stuff like, what effect does the weather have? What exactly does role A and B do? How do they differ? What's a good PPM for this role?

Y'know, there's some topics like that but they're not very exceptional or in-depth. There's loads of misinformation and contradictions across this and other sites. I mean the last topic on weather, if I google search, was 2011. More information and understanding in a nice consolidated place would be fab dab and might water down the moans. I've played FM for yonks, I still have to scan tons of topics to find information (reliable information). I've spent hours looking for help with setting up a scouting network, no dice. It's a drag. :(

Anyway, back to FM14. :)

Some fair points there. As feedback there's a lot of contradictory information and fog out there on many features in the game which seems a shame as so much will be missed by the player if it's not better understood. Rarely do you get an answer or much input from SI so it's left to forum users to surmise and debate on the little things.

Or maybe that's what they want, to leave it openly ambiguous for you to find your own way to what works for you? But I do think SI miss a trick on not better explaining some points of the game.

Its good to see you've fixed the goalscoring issues. :thup:

http://i.imgur.com/VWJrRKr.png

http://i.imgur.com/OaPe70i.png

I've been in the league less than two weeks and these results have happened. If you manage on the lower levels like I do, the amount of awful, and I mean awful defending is an absolute joke. In the past you could only really get these results if you played a stupid formation or played suicide tactics.

I should also add that my reserves have played two matches as well. 6-3 and 5-3.

I'm sorry guys, I'm a big fan of your games. But this current incarnation of Football Manager is completely terrible. You've clearly managed to break something along the way because it was never like this. I would also say that if you getting more and more people complaining about the same things, it might be because the game is actually not functioning correctly.

Anyone could tell me, if it's normal to be hard to sell players? For example, I'm trying to sell Iniesta, and nobody wants him...not for 40M € or for free... lol the same for Alex Song and anothers.

And the GK don't pass to my defense, like i said to him (instructions).

Tks btw.

Minor Feedback:

I think the game doesn't make enough of a 'deal' out of breaking longstanding records.

For example, I just broke this record in League 1:

Most Games Without Losing: Bristol Rovers - 32 (7th April 1973 to 27th January 1974)

and all I got was this message. I would've though that there'd be a press conference, or some sort of congratulations from the chairman. Even some angry letter from someone at Bristol Rovers saying how annoyed they are.

On a similar note, I think it'd be great to get notified if any League/Competition records that you hold get taken away from you, or are very close to being taken by someone else.

I feel like these long-standing records are a huge deal, and the game should use them for more flavour than they do currently.

Anyone could tell me, if it's normal to be hard to sell players? For example, I'm trying to sell Iniesta, and nobody wants him...not for 40M € or for free... lol the same for Alex Song and anothers.

Tks btw.

It does seem a TAD too tough, but not entirely unrealistic. I couldn't give away Maxwell for free, but I kind of accepted this because smaller clubs were either too low rep for him to accept the transfer, or wouldn't want to pay his relatively high wages. I managed to sell Van Der Wiel for €6m to West Brom which seemed a little bit low, but not completely absurd.

Is there any way of seeing how many goals I concede from corners? It's mental how many I'm seeing atm, lost my last match 2-1 due to the same corner being scored, and I've just conceded two in my current match too.

does this happen to anyone else? no names on this tab..

16h7tch.jpg

also, can anyone see if alen halilovic got transferred for free in the first season? i ask this cause i can sign him for free with burnley, which it's very unrealistic.. and if i don't sign him he is sold for free anyway.

thanks in advance

darthrodent with the post of the month :hammer:

I find it ironic that you name darthrodent the post of the month while it is

a. not constructive at all and thus not in line with the thread's goal

b. wrongly describing those that are very critical of the game's current state as people who are frustrated losing players. There may be some of those, possibly they are even the most vocal posters in this group, but there are a significant number of people who are very unlike the stereotype darthrodent describes.

c. basically nothing more than a straw man's fallacy

Now let me explain why the current version is unplayable for me:

I started a save in with Maidenhead in Skrill South on day 1 of the beta (LLM ftw :D ) and really had fun with the game. There were some issues, but nothing that really annoyed me (well, except for the ball physics maybe, I really wish SI would fix those in a future version).

Then came the general release, and quickly thereafter the 14.1.3 patch. I started to notice that some of my defenders started to get bad ratings. At first I just subbed them, sometimes even in the first half (I had been burned before by fielding a player too long while he was dropping into the low numbers quickly). But it soon became apparent that something else was wrong when this happened every game. While watching a game in full match mode (yeah, I am crazy like that, but to my defence I use speed controls a lot :) ) I saw my ratings of my outer two central defenders (I played three at the back in that game) drop step by step. Even though I was dominating the game. When they had dropped to 5.8 (nicely synchronised, I must admit) I had a wtf moment. While my left winger was trying to run past his opponent, one of the defender's rating suddenly jumped up to 6.4. Even though he had not touched the ball for a couple of minutes. At half time I subbed to other defender, whose rating had continued to drop. After the end of the match I looked at my team stats, and to my surprise the subbed guy now had a rating of 6.6 behind his name.

I had no idea how to manage my defence in future games with the rating basically rendered useless. Especially since it can be hard to see who is underperforming in a LLM match where basically all players suck. That killed of part of the fun for me and I started up the game much less than before. And I played shorter stretches whenever I did. Which may have been a good thing since I would go to sleep at somewhat normal times again. But all this would be fixed in a few days for sure?

It was when I was trying to get my players to sign new contracts that I encountered the show stopper (I encountered other bugs, but I won't bore you with a list of everything). Now those arrogant pr..ks didn't want to sign. Come on, you guys are no noes playing for a team that should fight relegation from SS. I was the one who made you play off material, show some gratitude. Sadly enough they didn't want to listen. It became clear that the contract negotiation for LLM are completely broken, to a point where it made me stop playing.

Now please someone tell me why I am wrong here when I say that 14.1.3 is unplayable for me. Because honestly I don't see it.

Finally, and maybe the most important point of my post, I do want to give you some constructive feedback (secretly vying for that POTM award ey?):

I really think the beta is a good idea. However, opening the beta 2 weeks in advance is not. Two weeks is just enough time for one single average SCRUM sprint. This is asking for problems - and an overworked development team.

I am sure you can improve the quality of the product at launch time a lot - at little extra costs, and with less stress - with the following suggestions (and this comes from a software project management senior, albeit not in gaming):

- prolong the beta period by at least two weeks. You should plan to release at least one patch/release/whatever you want to call it during the beta period.

With FM14, the GA release should have been the intermediate beta release. The one you work on now the version for release day. 14.1.3 should not have happened (or could have been rolled back during beta).

- think about making a limited beta release of the ME. Obviously, this is both the most complex part of FM, and the part that defines the FM experience for most of the players. As such, the ME should be off the critical path. Try to get it stable well in advance.

Oh, and please work on ball physics :D

Husband: I'm not going to be able to go to your Mum's this week (the first time in three years)

Wife: You never want to go to my mum's

More apt for this forum would have been..

Husband So do you fancy sex tonight? (had sex just 5 days ago)

Wife Nah not tonight.

Husband Meh you never want to have sex!

Otherwise a great post. :)

No update to this point is the lack of respect SI for the players who spent money on your faulty product. It is unfortunate that so you treat your customers.

also, can anyone see if alen halilovic got transferred for free in the first season? i ask this cause i can sign him for free with burnley, which it's very unrealistic.. and if i don't sign him he is sold for free anyway.

thanks in advance

About no names, also here, never noticed before!!

About Halilovic 2016/2017 from Dinamo to Chelsea for 4M(euro)

No update to this point is the lack of respect SI for the players who spent money on your faulty product. It is unfortunate that so you treat your customers.

Man, I tried to stop most of this stuff by trying to defuse the thread so it did not go like last years thread, there is no point, some of you guys really need to give yourselves a really good shake...

...and hopefully that shake takes you to another forum.

They're actually showing plenty of respect by making sure the update is of the desired quality and will have the desired results for the users. You're just translating your own impatience into SI being complacent or dismissive.

When will we have the new patch ?

Seriously?!

Download stuck at 58% in steam for a week now, other versions of FM download fine but FM14 will not move disabled Windows 8 firewall and Mcfee. Cleared out steam three time and tried to redownload gets stick in same place very time, tried different speeds download locations. What a load of S**T! at least FM2013 works. product key okay cost a fortune in download cost.:(:confused::thdn:

Is respect for the player is to publish a product that is defective? AI from the beginning despise players ... I regret that I let myself be fooled.

I'm not even a mod and I'm getting tired of these remarks/questions.

The update will be ready when it's ready. As the Scottish say: Och wheesht and get oan wae it.

Download stuck at 58% in steam for a week now, other versions of FM download fine but FM14 will not move disabled Windows 8 firewall and Mcfee. Cleared out steam three time and tried to redownload gets stick in same place very time, tried different speeds download locations. What a load of S**T! at least FM2013 works. product key okay cost a fortune in download cost.:(:confused::thdn:

Try right clicking the game in your library > properties > local files > verify game cache.

About no names, also here, never noticed before!!

About Halilovic 2016/2017 from Dinamo to Chelsea for 4M(euro)

thanks! strange.. halilovic is sold for free in the first summer every save i made, always to lokomotiva zagreb

The update will be ready when it's ready. As the Scottish say: Och wheesht and get oan wae it.

Oh man you really wish you were Scottish. :p

thanks! strange.. halilovic is sold for free in the first summer every save i made, always to lokomotiva zagreb

May depend on loaded nations/leagues.. who knows. Here just Italy (3 levels) England (4 levels) Nederland(2 levels) Sweden (3 levels)

Guys, about that screen tmvf posted, is that normal?

Is respect for the player is to publish a product that is defective? AI from the beginning despise players ... I regret that I let myself be fooled.

What do you mean the AI despises players? Are you struggling to win matches? It's probably your tactics.

Oh man you really wish you were Scottish. :p

I'd rather be accused of wishing to be Scottish than of being racist against Scots :p

It was out earlier. It's great. I especially love the way they've overpowered fullbacks now by giving them samurai swords to decapitate wingers. A really nice touch. Well done SI !!

May depend on loaded nations/leagues.. who knows. Here just Italy (3 levels) England (4 levels) Nederland(2 levels) Sweden (3 levels)

Guys, about that screen tmvf posted, is that normal?

i have portugal (2 levels), england (4 levels), france (2 levels), spain (2 levels), italy (2 levels), germany (2 levels), and almost every nation with the "see only" option.

must be it.. i just tested with only one league/nation, and he was't transferred this time.

Is there any way of seeing how many goals I concede from corners? It's mental how many I'm seeing atm, lost my last match 2-1 due to the same corner being scored, and I've just conceded two in my current match too.

Go to the goals submenu of your team report and click on goal assists, it shows you how many goals came from corners and how many you've conceded from them. It'll probably be fewer than you think. I'm 18 games into my current season, and I've conceded 5 goals from corners so far.

It was out earlier. It's great. I especially love the way they've overpowered fullbacks now by giving them samurai swords to decapitate wingers. A really nice touch. Well done SI !!

Both my fullbacks averaging 9+ now

I really wish that people complaining in here would be a bit more constructive, instead of the "no patch today, SI sucks"-theme.

They don't lack respect for their fanbase/customer group. They did however make some mistakes with the ME in the current edition, 14.1.3, I don't think anyone questions that. But I'm still enjoying this game, no question! My fullbacks are playing pretty good, I score a fair number of goals compared to the quality I have, and I don't see super keepers "every game" as some people seem to be doing.

The reason why the patch takes longer than expected is probably in relation to the "bugs" in question. If goalkeepers were playing worse and strikers scoring on more CCC's the scores would be crazy, and the complaining would be twice as bad. Just as the complaining would be of the charts if SI decided to push the release date of FM15 to december next year.

I would rather wait for a proper patch, as I don't want to be re-building my Union Berlin tactic, just because the new patch gets released to quick and doesn't have a balanced ME. Especially now when I'm getting close to a Europa League spot in my first season as a promoted Bundesliga team :)

When the patch arrives, some issues will be better, but for people thinking that the tactic they are now using suddenly will become good, I think many will be dissapointed.

Or you could've said " Get tae ya numptie and gies a brek, yur nippin ma heid so ye ur " :D

Long time Lurker, but i feel inclined to post with some feed back.

Having played FM/CM for about 10 years I'm at my wits end with the current version. I play as Livepool and I'm struggling / frustrated as never before. My major gripes are as follows.

1. Full backs. This has been well documented, but they are rubbish in a flat back four. The two I use have attributes for tackling, positions, pace and determination over 15. Match rating wouldn't be higher than 6.00 over the entire season. Highlight "tight marking", "stick to position" no difference.

2. Two footed tackles as soon as we have the ball. A player will receive the ball, slide tackle from opposition nearly every time. The player is dispossessed and left lying on the pitch. These players that are tackled have passing, decisions, creativity all over 15. If I was to employ the same tactic with tackling hard on the opposition midfielders my midfielders would be red carded. Worse is seems to happen a lot in the penalty box. How can you give a striker the instructions to "Hold up ball" when this happens. Frankly is looks ridiculous also.

3. Goal scoring. Getting the players to pass to the target man / forward. We get the ball at the top of the penalty box and just blaze at goal. The is no movement or short passes. This is with "work ball into box" and "more creativity" selected. Then the striker with finishing, composure, off the ball, decisions all over 15 will shoot straight at the keeper.

4. Wingers trying to win corners when one on one at the by-line. Wingers with instructions to stay wide and cross from by-line, shooting as soon as they receive the ball.

I 'm still trying to tweak tactics to get my team playing better but it's hard. The style I play FM is not to over analyse tactics from every match. I like to find the players that have the best attributes for their respective positions and let them play. This doesn't seem to be working. Eg: Lucas Leiva is one of the better DM's in the game. Over three seasons he hasn't had a match rating over 8.00.(Average around 7.00) Why is he a good player then? Will he better if I click a magic box in tactics?

That is what I find the hardest in this version are my players rubbish or are my tactics? Do you need to find the exact tactical instructions for each player before they shine.

That's about it. Cheers.

I really wish that people complaining in here would be a bit more constructive, instead of the "no patch today, SI sucks"-theme.

They don't lack respect for their fanbase/customer group. They did however make some mistakes with the ME in the current edition, 14.1.3, I don't think anyone questions that. But I'm still enjoying this game, no question! My fullbacks are playing pretty good, I score a fair number of goals compared to the quality I have, and I don't see super keepers "every game" as some people seem to be doing.

The reason why the patch takes longer than expected is probably in relation to the "bugs" in question. If goalkeepers were playing worse and strikers scoring on more CCC's the scores would be crazy, and the complaining would be twice as bad. Just as the complaining would be of the charts if SI decided to push the release date of FM15 to december next year.

I would rather wait for a proper patch, as I don't want to be re-building my Union Berlin tactic, just because the new patch gets released to quick and doesn't have a balanced ME. Especially now when I'm getting close to a Europa League spot in my first season as a promoted Bundesliga team :)

When the patch arrives, some issues will be better, but for people thinking that the tactic they are now using suddenly will become good, I think many will be dissapointed.

It can also be the opposite a current tactic that is good might not work when the new patch is out so if I were you I'd get to the end of your season asap and then stop until the patch is out as that will give you the pre season to find out whether your current tactic is going to work as you want it.

Tks btw.

Are you trying to sell Andres?????:herman:

Another one of those 'potentially good small new feature not really implemented properly' is the team talk option of telling your players to go out and get revenge after what happened last time the sides met.

In the last game I played there, only one player was 'motivated' by this half time speech, and he is one of only three players in the eleven on the field that didn't play against the opposition last time, in fact he wasn't even at the club. Surely the players that would be motivated would be the ones who actually played in the prior match?

Just a small thing, and not really important really, but there you are.

Second that, my current DoF insta-fires any Assistant Manager of my choice. We seem to like different people.

I third it. Would be great if the hiring and firing of the assistant manager could be separated from all other staff. Appointed my trusty lieutenant when taking over Leverkusen only for Rudi Voller to sack him and appoint someone worse a day later paying him 3 million in compo.

Other than that and a few minor issues which are in hand im really enjoying the game. Love the new tactics system, Also the option of falling out with the board and being sacked is great if you want to go on to manage a club with a "ill show em" attitude.

Well, that was well worth the wait darth. Even when we disagreed on pretty much everything to with the depth of motivation when you first posted, the debate was always excellent. Particularly interested now to hear what you consider issues when you get time :thup:

I'm very much enjoying the game. Fully immersed. A few little niggly bugs that have been recognised and are being fixed in the next patch, but nothing that has detracted from my enjoyment of the game. Still finding suprising little touches that make me smile. Thought I'd speak up, as one of the silent majority that is too busy playing the game to post too much on the forums.

question.

I found a player I wish to buy, I match the minimum fee release clause and bid gets refused, is this normal?