Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Oi! It's not a game, it's a simulation! On a serious note, I myself want realism and fun being there equally. Try FM Classic mode then and let you assman handle tactics? Full mode might be a bit more for you.

Long live the queen is a simulation, less bugs too :D

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what if somebody is a bad tactician? It's a bloody game, it's supposed to be fun. A lot of us have jobs and family lives. We don't have time to read up-themselves blogs like Zonal Marking or to spend hours making intricate changes to tactics. I want to be able to set broad guidelines so my team plays in a particular style and to find players who will suit my system. Nothing more complicated than that. I'm not claiming for a second that it isn't possible, because I manage it every year, but there is definitely snobbery on here towards people who aren't all that interested in False 9s and Enganches. How do some of you enjoy football matches? When I'm at a game in real life I'm not looking at the specific role of Lloyd Dyer on the left hand side. I just want him to run fast with the ball and pass it to somebody who can kick it.

then don't play the game for god's sake! that's like complaining the difficulty of ARMA series and saying " i don't have time to study the game and blah blah, it should be a no-brainer like COD or BF"

i'm sorry but if you wanna win big and always you should play FIFA or PES instead.

then don't play the game for god's sake! that's like complaining the difficulty of ARMA series and saying " i don't have time to study the game and blah blah, it should be a no-brainer like COD or BF"

i'm sorry but if you wanna win big and always you should play FIFA or PES instead.

That's a simplification. "Being good at tactics" or "mastering tactics" in FM should not necessarily mean that you'll have to microtweak your tactics within a match to gain an advantage. The equivalent of having to do that in your ARMA example, is to adjust sights because of wind as a sniper, or having your shot "cancelled" because your character ducks. Surely realistic, but overly intrusive in a game, perhaps?

If you want to go down that road it's just as easy for me to tell you to stop playing the game and invest your tactical interest more productively - go out and coach kids, God knows we lack that in this country. I want realism and fun in equal measure.Indeed my biggest complaints about the game this year are about realism. I think the game as it stands is too tactics heavy. By that I mean it favours a more intricate approach. I don't think that's entirely realistic. Some managers do win with complicated systems, some win with more simple ones. It isn't about winning for me. I've spent many a season pottering around in the lower leagues feeling quite satisfied. I don't have a problem with the scope being there for more detailed stuff. That's only right. What I do have an issue with is people being looked down upon for not being tactical experts.

I watch football an awful lot. I understand the game. I just don't have the hours to plough that knowledge into a game. That's why I want to be able to play the game in a more simple way. And maybe I can; I might well, as Kriss says above, be over-complicating things for myself by listening to the 'super-tacticians'. But those people shouldn't fool themselves that football is a complicated game. It really isn't. More generally I find it sad (in that it's a shame, not that it's something to be embarrassed about) that football has become a vehicle for overbearing tactical analysis. I find it interesting up to a point but I do think that we have gone into overkill mode and might be in danger of sucking the fun out of it.

That said, I find the social history of the game fascinating, and read up on it extensively. We lack an excellent social history of football in the UK book, actually. But anyway, I'm digressing. Each to their own. But you did misunderstand my point somewhat. Just as football should be for everybody, so should Football Manager. And again, perhaps it is - perhaps I make it more difficult for myself than necessary.

If you want to go down that road it's just as easy for me to tell you to stop playing the game and invest your tactical interest more productively - go out and coach kids, God knows we lack that in this country. I want realism and fun in equal measure.Indeed my biggest complaints about the game this year are about realism. I think the game as it stands is too tactics heavy. By that I mean it favours a more intricate approach. I don't think that's entirely realistic. Some managers do win with complicated systems, some win with more simple ones. It isn't about winning for me. I've spent many a season pottering around in the lower leagues feeling quite satisfied. I don't have a problem with the scope being there for more detailed stuff. That's only right. What I do have an issue with is people being looked down upon for not being tactical experts.

I watch football an awful lot. I understand the game. I just don't have the hours to plough that knowledge into a game. That's why I want to be able to play the game in a more simple way. And maybe I can; I might well, as Kriss says above, be over-complicating things for myself by listening to the 'super-tacticians'. But those people shouldn't fool themselves that football is a complicated game. It really isn't. More generally I find it sad (in that it's a shame, not that it's something to be embarrassed about) that football has become a vehicle for overbearing tactical analysis. I find it interesting up to a point but I do think that we have gone into overkill mode and might be in danger of sucking the fun out of it.

That said, I find the social history of the game fascinating, and read up on it extensively. We lack an excellent social history of football in the UK book, actually. But anyway, I'm digressing. Each to their own. But you did misunderstand my point somewhat. Just as football should be for everybody, so should Football Manager. And again, perhaps it is - perhaps I make it more difficult for myself than necessary.

same here.. totally agree thus the reason I miss FM12 because if people wanted too they could play without any exploits and have fun playing a realistic game and others just use some exploits to have fun .. winning some and losing some... perfect game in my opinion!

More generally I find it sad (in that it's a shame, not that it's something to be embarrassed about) that football has become a vehicle for overbearing tactical analysis. I find it interesting up to a point but I do think that we have gone into overkill mode and might be in danger of sucking the fun out of it.

Very true, I understand there are people who actually listen to football pundits on TV/radio instead of going to put the kettle on :D

My advice to you is, treat it like a game and that's just what it'll be, I don't ever enter the tactics forum and I only talk tactics at all to wind wwfan up :cool:

I think you might be making it hard for yourself tbh, you don't need pour hours into the game to learn (although you can do). I think you need about 30 minutes or so to learn how to get through football manager. Sure, you can spend hours trying to more into every aspect, but you don't have to. I'm willing to bet Kriss would look at how I play and decide its far too much hassle.

Lots of ways to play it, key is finding your own way. Everyone plays differently so you will always get different bits of advice. If you want to keep it simple, keep it simple.

There's three kind of people in this forum. The ones who like to beat the ME and think they are super tacticians. Others, like me, that wants ME to play my tactic. And others that find all ME's version a masterpiece.

That moment when you buy a star and put it to play for the first time. "Lets see how this monster play?". I sit and relax.

Now it's all about beat ME. who cares about individuality..? i do.

I need some help with team selection of my under 21 team...i don't know whether it's a bug, so i report it also here as a feedback/request...Why my under-21 manager does not ask me which of first team players I want to field in an under-21 match? Such useful feature was running in my first saves with FM14, now suddenly disappeared and I donìt find any option to take it back...is it a bug or I'm missing something? i'm playing with a specific under-21 manager (different than the assistant manager), maybe it's related with the issue? please help, thank you

Way to many goals in games... the amount of 8-5 wins and daft losses i've had are ridiculous. Defending really needs to be patched.

I take it you didn't read the previous 40 pages like the rest of us then???

But seriously I agree with above comments that in real life some coaches have seriously over complicated the game just to make themselves look good.

I need some help with team selection of my under 21 team...i don't know whether it's a bug, so i report it also here as a feedback/request...Why my under-21 manager does not ask me which of first team players I want to field in an under-21 match? Such useful feature was running in my first saves with FM14, now suddenly disappeared and I donìt find any option to take it back...is it a bug or I'm missing something? i'm playing with a specific under-21 manager (different than the assistant manager), maybe it's related with the issue? please help, thank you

Does your U-21 team have any fixtures? On the first season of many teams, your team won't be entered in any of the competitions, and you need to set up friendlies to give them games. During the next close season, you'll then be asked if you want to enter the teams in the U-21/U-18 leagues.

Does your U-21 team have any fixtures? On the first season of many teams, your team won't be entered in any of the competitions, and you need to set up friendlies to give them games. During the next close season, you'll then be asked if you want to enter the teams in the U-21/U-18 leagues.

thanks dag but that's not the point. I've got fixtures, both friendly and 'official' matches...my problem is that before such matches neither the under 21 manager nor the assistant manager ask me which first team players i want to field in the under 21 match. it has Always happened, why it's different now?

I take it you didn't read the previous 40 pages like the rest of us then???

But seriously I agree with above comments that in real life some coaches have seriously over complicated the game just to make themselves look good.

Nope, even if I did, still think theres way too many goals.

Very true, I understand there are people who actually listen to football pundits on TV/radio instead of going to put the kettle on :D

My advice to you is, treat it like a game and that's just what it'll be, I don't ever enter the tactics forum and I only talk tactics at all to wind wwfan up :cool:

Completely agree with this. I think the tactics forum (or tactics in football generally) can lead people round and round in circles trying to chase their tails. For those that enjoy that part of the game it's a great place for discussion and bouncing ideas off of each other to play the game at a different (not necessarily 'better') level but I like to keep it simple and do just fine. The 'should have' 1x support, 1x attack in Def/Mid/Att etc, the is a DLF/Poach better than a ComFwd/False 9 combo is interesting and all to hear but fluff to me as long as you have a set up that makes simple sense in link up and covering as much of the pitch as possible. Fluff, especially when the impatient one's try something they've seen on the tactics forum for 6 games then think it's not working so try something else.

Bill Shankly said "football is a simple game, complicated by idiots" or something like that. He nailed it I think. Find a set of positions/roles/instructions that cover as much of the pitch as possible as a complete unit, buy/select the best players you can to fill those roles and viola.

I like that FM allows you to be successful with my KISS "keep it simple stupid" take on football. It really isn't rocket science, the teams with the best players with a not absurd set up will generally win more than they lose. It comes down to mental stats then and managing morale. In FM and IRL.

any help please???

any help please???

I can't help, I always get asked for U21 and U18 games which of my first team squad I want to make available so don't know what's happening for you.

The problem I'm having is that my U18 manager is picking greyed out players instead of any of my U18 squad, when my U18 squad is really half decent and much better than the greyed out guys. It's annoying, all my U18 squad are severely lacking in match fitness. I've never had this before on previous FM's.

playing the rangers. just asked the board to increase the number of scouts (we had 7). request was granted. new max. number of scouts is 7... what?????

They've probably raised you from 7.01 to 7.99, or something like that :)

I'm pretty sure I've seen things like that in previous FM's as well...

ive never have problems with the bugs and ive been playing the series since 99. but i couldnt stand this one even for a week. completed a season with juve, winning the league by 15 points margin, with a zero attacking quality and variations. where are those through balls, curling shots, dribbles, smart off the ball runs, one-twos or other spicy combinations? what the purpose of creativity flair and off the ball? clearly its not a football simulation anymore. 60 goals scored in the league, 30 from corners, 15 from indirect freekicks, 7 from penalties, 8 from flowing attacks( mostly crosses to llorente).

they should put their focus on improving defense!!!!! positioning, awarness, team-def. etc. is very poor right now. just had a player from motherwell running with the ball covering ca 70 m, nobody stoped him, nobody even tried... the next maradona/messi... please focus on improving DEFENSE!!!!!

I can't help, I always get asked for U21 and U18 games which of my first team squad I want to make available so don't know what's happening for you.

The problem I'm having is that my U18 manager is picking greyed out players instead of any of my U18 squad, when my U18 squad is really half decent and much better than the greyed out guys. It's annoying, all my U18 squad are severely lacking in match fitness. I've never had this before on previous FM's.

this is interesting because adds to the problem, I've never been asked about U18...anybody can help???

this is interesting because adds to the problem, I've never been asked about U18...anybody can help???

This feature was announced on 19th September.

"Request that Reserves or Under 18 manager plays a player in certain position".

I can't even request that they play him, let alone in a certain position, so if I'm missing something obvious or otherwise where is this feature? Any tips would be tip top appreciated.

The mistake is listening to all these super tacticians :) just choose a formation, give your players a role and let them play.

You'll do just fine and from then on it's about signing better players.

Spot on Kriss, 2012 game I had a 4-3-3 system down to a tee, 20 years at same club, stadium made bigger, champions league etc then come 2013 I had to rethink my formation as the game AI had changed a little, tactics wise I played players in the correct positions, made sure the straining was exact for each of them and all done without reading up on the tactics thread. We know there's always little bugs and you usually get them sorted, lets hope you get it right this year as last years you didn't, which was a shame as it was generally a better game.

Something fishy going on here...

enNmY8Z.jpg

In the table after the game we both got one point each.

Otherwise I really like the game this year. Some things bother me but they have been listed here before so I won't bring them up again.

Having been away from the game for a few year there's a lot of new thing to learn. Still a little confused about the new training but loving the new tactics.

The 3d engine bugged me a little bit so I switched to 2D and the nostalgia is flooding over me. Having played 10-15 games in 2D now I must say the games feel much more realistic watching them this way.

Another example of how to wind your customers up!

cjho.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes, Yes i know its my tactic, i let them have one shot.

I know, no CCC on my side, its my tactic. Although i'm not sure what those 8 shots between the penalty spot and the goal are?

ktfu.png

By all means beat me, but at least make it believable.

Yeah, again that means nothing out of context.

How much pressure where those players under? How surrounded were they? What was the quality of their supply? Where they off balance for the shots?

Even if all that was perfect, this is still one match and sometimes it happens - and that sometimes IRL is a lot more often than people seem to believe.

Yeah, again that means nothing out of context.

How much pressure where those players under? How surrounded were they? What was the quality of their supply? Where they off balance for the shots?

Even if all that was perfect, this is still one match and sometimes it happens - and that sometimes IRL is a lot more often than people seem to believe.

To be fair, my team isn't good enough to continually create 30+ chances a game nor restrict my opponents to only a handful.

The actual results i'm getting and the scorelines are very believable, but its the manner in which these results are achieved which is breaking the immersion for me, being highly unrealistic both during the game and when analyzing post match.

Its early days, i'm sure you'll get it right soon, you always do.

But I still think its valid to post things like this up.

Just realised there's a Scoring Chances option on that analysis tab - it gives you a much better view of the chances you created.

Yeah, here you go.

z83m.png

Not sure what that tells us.

Anyway, thats me done for the night.

Sorry if i come across a bit cranky, been a long day.

Love the game and have the utmost respect for the Mods, I realise you get a rough ride.

night all....:brock:

My guess would be they're not getting enough space on the ball when they do get into the box.

There could be a real chance in there that's been missed by the match engine, but it's impossible to tell without watching the match.

Is this the sort of thing you get often? If so, best way to turn half chances into full chances would be to post about it in the tactics forum and see what advice they come up with to increase the space around your players.

If this is a one off, it's just one of those results you need to kick the crap out of something for until you feel better. I suggest getting a drum kit, it's immensely therapeutic and cool as hell :cool:

Finances still seem to be a problem for me. I under spent my wages budget by 62.4 million pounds and did not touch the 194 million quid transfer budget. Yet at the end of the season I had lost 45 million pounds.... and i never buy players on terms... i pay cash... therefore no past expenses catching up..... If I had spent the money allocated to me by the baord I would have ended up with a deficit of of over 300 million pounds... I have no idea why this happening.

Play in the lower leagues. Much better there.

I went with this advice, not only am I seeing the same bugs but I also cannot sign anyone on loan. No matter who it is, I can't even offer the club anything because no matter who it is, they want their player to be playing with a better quality of player. It could be my feeder club Blackburn's 17 year old, it can be someone in League 2 it makes no difference.

Honestly, suggesting to play in the lower leagues was some terrible advice. I'm seeing way more corner goals, and too many goals and red cards in general. My opening 5 matches have seen a staggering 21 goals in them, and there have been 20 corner goals in the league already.

This feature was announced on 19th September.

"Request that Reserves or Under 18 manager plays a player in certain position".

I can't even request that they play him, let alone in a certain position, so if I'm missing something obvious or otherwise where is this feature? Any tips would be tip top appreciated.

Please Mods can you help us with this feature/issue? at least tell us when we can look for a solution? thank you

Honestly, suggesting to play in the lower leagues was some terrible advice. I'm seeing way more corner goals, and too many goals and red cards in general. My opening 5 matches have seen a staggering 21 goals in them, and there have been 20 corner goals in the league already.

I'm managing in Skill north and I'm seeing none of this. *cough*tactics?*cough*

Archived