Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

I can understand why they wouldn't commit on update dates. I wasn't asking for any promise to be made. But I do think that saying what is under review won't do any harm, but will atleast get customers to know that those issues are spotted, or these aren't issues.

People will always whine - You can't please 100% of any crowd, no matter how sympathetic they are towards your product, but just like I would prefer a waiter at a resturant to give me a heads up that the resturant is packed and service may be a little slower than him serving me in a lousy way with no explanation, I would like to know what SI consider the main issues - even if fixing them will take months, or won't happen at all due to other priorities.

If worded properly and if there's logic behind answers, everything is acceptable, even if not pleasing.

I see you point, I imagine it's up to the individual managers/supervisors of each section at SI, I know in the past some have given a small list of some of the things being looked at. Maybe they will later on once the main phase if updates are finished, we'll have to see :)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2. Defending needs sorting out. At the moment I am finding it impossible to get my defenders to mark properly, close down, or even consider where the opponents are. The whole 'stay goal side' logic isn't implemented in the game whatsoever. I see players attempting to 'mark' players, but behind them, freely allowing the attacker to remain goal side whilst making no attempt to get goal side of him. Wingers are regularly left completely open on the opposite flank. If a player attacks down the left, the right winger is left in absolutely acres of space. I completely understand that in that situation, any smart winger would either a. look to nip in at the back post unmarked to finish, or b. stay wide on the opposite flank to either pick up on any overhit crosses, or to stretch the opponents defence across to him, opening up space in the box. But we're talking about them being in 25 yards or so of space sometimes, whilst my left back is concerning himself with getting a drink from the dugout, or going and picking up a random midfielder.

Nail on the head there.

I am playing with Hajduk Split in Croatia. There must be something wrong with reputations as and lots of players that shouldn't be interested in signing for us from Spain and England are more than willing to come. There are even quality players from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia and Arsenal youth teams willing to sign.

9lh8y9.png

Another strange thing is scouting where my scouts are mainly targeting western Europe and finding lot of interested players especially in English lower leagues.

Sorry guys. I really am sorry to say this but this years game is a bit of a mess. This is going to be a long post, as I'm going to try and outline what my issues are, in the hope that SI gain some benefit from this post, rather than it being a one paragraph whine which doesn't really help anyone.

Before I go into why, I'd like to give a little background. I've been a massive fan of the CM/FM series since CM4, and have played every year since then. I found myself able to get success on every version, with the right amount of difficulty, up to FM13. Aside from one save as WBA, I struggled to find any successful tactics etc, which led to me putting in considerably less hours on FM13 than I had on 11 and 12, around 400 hours, actually. I always believed however that 13 was so close to being a great game, it just lacked the ability to really make an impact on your squad. Team talks, tactics, etc etc seemed to be routinely ignored or brushed over by my squad, or had such a short lived impact that they ultimately seemed pointless.

I installed the BETA of 14 with much excitement. I hadn't played the game since August, which for me, is a hell of a long time. I started up a game as United, with international experience, to bed myself into it. I had a whale of a time. The match engine seemed solid, and I was seeing things that had seemingly been a rarity in previous match engines, such as a weighted through ball to my strikers to put them one on one, and thought, 'they've got it right this year'.

I played the BETA as United up until release day, finally looking to get into a game as Oldham, the team I support. I played a few games and realized my side was getting low ratings constantly, particularly my full backs. As this has been mentioned, I won't go into it in too much detail. At the time however, I was discussing their poor performances with them, which seemed to infuriate them, despite them picking up ratings of ~5.0. This led to a morale drop spreading around my squad like a disease.

I tried a different approach, and started as Middlesbrough, with Professional experience. I had the same issues. Then I went with Norwich, with international experience, and had the issues again. After growing tired of the same thing happening again and again, the same issues with the match engine (which I'll go into later), I spoke to a friend who'd recently got the game. He was finding it quite forgiving as United, with international experience, and told me to stick with it, and give it another shot.

I started as Preston in League 1 with international experience. I said to myself, I'm really gonna work hard at it, and made myself 3 tactics developed to deal with different situations, and to play to the strengths of my main forward, Kevin Davies, who for League 1, is an outstanding target man. I started off fairly well, winning 3 and drawing 1 of my 4 pre season games. My morale was good, which wasn't the end of the world, but considering how we'd played in pre season I found it a little low. Never mind, I thought.

I played my game on the opening day, at home to Wolves, and lost 3-1. I told the team that I was disappointed, but in a calm way, as despite their poor performance, Wolves were always likely to be the better side on the day. I then lost 2-0 away to Blackburn in the league cup first round. Same team talk, same reasons. Morale was stuck on the poor/okay area, with the majority on okay. I could understand this, we'd started poorly but it was still very early in the season, no need to panic.

We followed this with back to back wins, 2-0 away to Rotherham, and 2-1 at home to MK Dons. I praised the side for their wins, without going over the top, it was still early in the season, when anyone can beat anyone. I come back to my squad screen to find their morale a mixture of poor, very poor, and okay, with the vast majority being poor. Now this I couldn't understand, after back to back wins, one of which was against a playoff rival. I'd not critisized anyone, I'd not given anyone any over the top praise, and we'd just taken 6 points from our last 2 games. This is where everything begun to go wrong.

I then lost 1-0 to Coventry away, followed up with a 1-1 draw away at Walsall. Not too concerned, win your home games, draw your away games as they say. I'd taken a point from two tough away ties. Not the end of the world.

My morale was still poor/very poor, despite us doing reasonably well in our start. Two wins, a draw and a loss in the league, and a loss away at a team in a higher division in the cup.

Next however, I played Wolves in JPT first round. Learning from my mistakes in the first game of the season, where I'd given Griffiths and Doyle far too much attention, I decided not to mark Doyle and Griffiths tightly straight away, I'd watch and see how much space they got before committing to them too much. Doyle scored in the 23rd minute after being left in acres of space. I decided at that point I'd have him marked tighter, and put Bailey Wright as his man marker, with 13 marking, he was the best I had. He went on to bag two more in the next 10 minutes. Figuring that he'd scored more being tighter marked, I took off the man marking. He scored another. Sako then made it 5. I was 5-0 down before half time. I simply could not string 3 passes together, whereas they'd had somewhere in the region of 27 shots at half time. I appreciate that the Wolves squad is very good for league 1 level, but this was ludicrous.

I went on to lose 6-2. By this point, the morale sapping virus that had infected my squad, which had seemingly come from nowhere, had well and truly destroyed us. The icing on the top was our next game, at home to Oldham. Being an Oldham fan, I know we have got a decent squad (who are inexplicably unlucky in the real world atm, but that's another point). I went into the game with terrible morale through our squad, despite still being 13th in the league, and Oldham's morale was good/very good. I lost EIGHT - ONE. They had had in the region of 28 shots at half time. By full time, they had around 40 shots. 40 shots from ONE team. You're lucky to see that many in 1 and a half games of football, and that's split between both sides.

No matter what I did, I could not get my defenders to stick close to the Latics strikers, MacDonald and Rooney. I tried hassling, tight marking, man marking them, I removed the hassling opponents and dropped deeper, to see if I could limit their chances in and around the box. Nothing worked. Every time their wingers got to a crossing position, Rooney and MacDonald were in acres of space, regardless of whether or not I had tight marking etc on.

This was the result, of two things. The match engine needing a fair few tweaks, and the morale sapping issue. The morale issue turned into a vicious circle. It appeared from nowhere, which led to a poor performance against Coventry, which ended in defeat. Morale dropped further, so I scraped a draw against Walsall. Morale randomly dropped again, leading us to get back to back slaughterings off Wolves and Oldham, which obviously left morale at an all time low. From nowhere to begin with!

The issues I have with the match engine are as follows;

1. There are often a ludicrous amount of shots, for one side or the other. Some people have it where their own side has 35+ shots, and few, if any, goals, wheras the opposition have 6 or so shots and nick a goal. In other peoples case, such as mine, it's where the opposition seem to hit 35+ shots. I watch a lot of football, on the tv, and I've been regularly going to Oldham games for the last 8 years or so. In all the time I've been watching Latics, I only remember one game where we had 25+ shots, and that was the second leg of the JPT regional final 11/12 against Chesterfield. I think that the amount of shots player take, needs toning down. It'd solve two problems IMO, the first being the insane amount of shots taken, and the second being the amount of ridiculous shots you see, either fired 20 yards wide from 15 yards out, or from the byline, and fizzing out for a throw in on the opposite wing.

2. Defending needs sorting out. At the moment I am finding it impossible to get my defenders to mark properly, close down, or even consider where the opponents are. The whole 'stay goal side' logic isn't implemented in the game whatsoever. I see players attempting to 'mark' players, but behind them, freely allowing the attacker to remain goal side whilst making no attempt to get goal side of him. Wingers are regularly left completely open on the opposite flank. If a player attacks down the left, the right winger is left in absolutely acres of space. I completely understand that in that situation, any smart winger would either a. look to nip in at the back post unmarked to finish, or b. stay wide on the opposite flank to either pick up on any overhit crosses, or to stretch the opponents defence across to him, opening up space in the box. But we're talking about them being in 25 yards or so of space sometimes, whilst my left back is concerning himself with getting a drink from the dugout, or going and picking up a random midfielder.

3. Some of the passes at the moment are completely wild. I know that not every pass would be expected to connect, but sometimes I'm seeing player (on both sides) under no pressure, misplacing a simple 10 yard pass by a good 5 or 6 yards. As I said, I know this can happen sometimes, but I'm seeing it far more often than I'd consider realistic.

I know that some people are going to reply 'it's your tactics' or whatever, which is fair enough, but me and many other people are experiencing this. It doesn't seem to be effecting my friend anywhere near as much, but he's playing as an elite team with an elite managerial reputation from the start. I dispute the 'it's your tactics' response on two levels.

The first is the fact that I, in my opinion, understand tactics in modern football well. Without sounding like I'm 'blowing one's own trumpet', to quote George from Blackadder, I am qualified to coach football, and I do so. I'm not saying this is the be all and end all, there are thousands of people out there who have a grasp of tactics way better than I do. All I'm trying to prove is that I'm not some tactical noob, who is say;

1. Telling my team to hassle opponents whilst defending deeply.

2. Allowing opposition wingers to freely cross the ball when they have 2 6'3"+ strikers on the pitch.

3. Forcing players to go narrower who have solid long shot stats.

Please note the above are things I am NOT doing. Just three examples of tactical mistakes people could theoretically make.

Secondly, when people say, that other peoples tactics are wrong, what are we supposed to do about it? Lose game after game after game, tweaking and changing tactics to try and find something right? By the time that's happened, it's often too late. Bad morale has kicked in, or you've been sacked. I appreciate that it's not simple to get a team to fully understand a new tactic, but sometimes it feels futile when your players, particularly those in the defensive areas of the pitch, seem to bluntly ignore the tactical instructions you set anyway.

I'm sure some people have made successful tactics straight away, but those tactics don't suit every level. At the moment the game feels very difficult to me if you're playing at anything but an elite level, IE teams who are in Europe. To the people who are succeeding at finding solid tactics, and are enjoying the game, I wish them the absolute best. But sadly, for me, at the moment, I'm not enjoying the game.

I enjoyed it in BETA. Perhaps that was because the changes since have changed the game too much, or because I was playing as an elite side with elite reputation.

I hated FM13 with a passion. It felt somewhat unfinished. At the moment, FM14 feels the same way. Perhaps, as some people have said, next year a longer BETA may be a good idea? Yes, some people use it as a way to just play the game early, but others give valuable feedback and see things that the developers might not see. Ultimately it's SI's decision.

I'm not giving up on this years game, and I'm not writing any of the staff off. They've proven time and time again, particularly with FM12, that they are more than capable of getting it right. I'm going to take a break from the game, until the next patch is out. I know you guys can get it right, you've done it before, please go and do it again. I can't have another year of not getting hopelessly addicted to this game.

Apologies for the long post. If anyone, fan or staff, wishes to discuss this with me in more depth, please feel free to PM me and I'll help/explain in any way I can,

Cheers,

Nez

Very good post.

Jose used to bring on Varane for Alonso at times, Wenger would do the same with Monreal with a midfielder. Lots of teams bring on a defender for a forward, the same way you will see a team sacrifice a defender for a striker if need be. There really isnt anything special about it. It's certainly wrong to say no one does it. If you really haven't seen it, you should watch the type of subs made more often.

I'm not saying it happens all the time, or that everyone does it, but I would certainly never argue that no team adjusts the back line when winning, most common option is to keep a 4 man back line and push that defensive change into midfield.

Yesterdays Arsenal game was a perfect example of this where Wenger actually brought on 3 defenders.

I'm playing as Villa 2nd season and i was on a 10 game unbeaten run, next up is Chelsea at SB who are top.

Before the game my players morale is all good, very good and excellent, but after losing EVERY players morale throughout the squad has dropped to fairly poor and ok.

Surely something wrong there? i had a look at other EPL teams results and morale and there are teams that haven't won for between 3 and 5 games with much better morale???

I really don't like the changes that have been made to the highlight modes since FM12. 12 and earlier the most extensive modes used to show chances and quite a bit of general play leading to nothing in particular, but it gave you a good view of what was happening. Now it's only shots and fouls leading to cards/warnings. The 'comprehensive' mode doesn't even show all shots! If there's any tactical issues to sort out the only way to get any insight into what's going on on the pitch is to watch full matches. Yet we still see players walking up to take a corner, getting warned/booked, being carried off the pitch etc in the highlights packages.

Sorry guys. I really am sorry to say this but this years game is a bit of a mess. This is going to be a long post, as I'm going to try and outline what my issues are, in the hope that SI gain some benefit from this post, rather than it being a one paragraph whine which doesn't really help anyone.

Before I go into why, I'd like to give a little background. I've been a massive fan of the CM/FM series since CM4, and have played every year since then. I found myself able to get success on every version, with the right amount of difficulty, up to FM13. Aside from one save as WBA, I struggled to find any successful tactics etc, which led to me putting in considerably less hours on FM13 than I had on 11 and 12, around 400 hours, actually. I always believed however that 13 was so close to being a great game, it just lacked the ability to really make an impact on your squad. Team talks, tactics, etc etc seemed to be routinely ignored or brushed over by my squad, or had such a short lived impact that they ultimately seemed pointless.

I installed the BETA of 14 with much excitement. I hadn't played the game since August, which for me, is a hell of a long time. I started up a game as United, with international experience, to bed myself into it. I had a whale of a time. The match engine seemed solid, and I was seeing things that had seemingly been a rarity in previous match engines, such as a weighted through ball to my strikers to put them one on one, and thought, 'they've got it right this year'.

I played the BETA as United up until release day, finally looking to get into a game as Oldham, the team I support. I played a few games and realized my side was getting low ratings constantly, particularly my full backs. As this has been mentioned, I won't go into it in too much detail. At the time however, I was discussing their poor performances with them, which seemed to infuriate them, despite them picking up ratings of ~5.0. This led to a morale drop spreading around my squad like a disease.

I tried a different approach, and started as Middlesbrough, with Professional experience. I had the same issues. Then I went with Norwich, with international experience, and had the issues again. After growing tired of the same thing happening again and again, the same issues with the match engine (which I'll go into later), I spoke to a friend who'd recently got the game. He was finding it quite forgiving as United, with international experience, and told me to stick with it, and give it another shot.

I started as Preston in League 1 with international experience. I said to myself, I'm really gonna work hard at it, and made myself 3 tactics developed to deal with different situations, and to play to the strengths of my main forward, Kevin Davies, who for League 1, is an outstanding target man. I started off fairly well, winning 3 and drawing 1 of my 4 pre season games. My morale was good, which wasn't the end of the world, but considering how we'd played in pre season I found it a little low. Never mind, I thought.

I played my game on the opening day, at home to Wolves, and lost 3-1. I told the team that I was disappointed, but in a calm way, as despite their poor performance, Wolves were always likely to be the better side on the day. I then lost 2-0 away to Blackburn in the league cup first round. Same team talk, same reasons. Morale was stuck on the poor/okay area, with the majority on okay. I could understand this, we'd started poorly but it was still very early in the season, no need to panic.

We followed this with back to back wins, 2-0 away to Rotherham, and 2-1 at home to MK Dons. I praised the side for their wins, without going over the top, it was still early in the season, when anyone can beat anyone. I come back to my squad screen to find their morale a mixture of poor, very poor, and okay, with the vast majority being poor. Now this I couldn't understand, after back to back wins, one of which was against a playoff rival. I'd not critisized anyone, I'd not given anyone any over the top praise, and we'd just taken 6 points from our last 2 games. This is where everything begun to go wrong.

I then lost 1-0 to Coventry away, followed up with a 1-1 draw away at Walsall. Not too concerned, win your home games, draw your away games as they say. I'd taken a point from two tough away ties. Not the end of the world.

My morale was still poor/very poor, despite us doing reasonably well in our start. Two wins, a draw and a loss in the league, and a loss away at a team in a higher division in the cup.

Next however, I played Wolves in JPT first round. Learning from my mistakes in the first game of the season, where I'd given Griffiths and Doyle far too much attention, I decided not to mark Doyle and Griffiths tightly straight away, I'd watch and see how much space they got before committing to them too much. Doyle scored in the 23rd minute after being left in acres of space. I decided at that point I'd have him marked tighter, and put Bailey Wright as his man marker, with 13 marking, he was the best I had. He went on to bag two more in the next 10 minutes. Figuring that he'd scored more being tighter marked, I took off the man marking. He scored another. Sako then made it 5. I was 5-0 down before half time. I simply could not string 3 passes together, whereas they'd had somewhere in the region of 27 shots at half time. I appreciate that the Wolves squad is very good for league 1 level, but this was ludicrous.

I went on to lose 6-2. By this point, the morale sapping virus that had infected my squad, which had seemingly come from nowhere, had well and truly destroyed us. The icing on the top was our next game, at home to Oldham. Being an Oldham fan, I know we have got a decent squad (who are inexplicably unlucky in the real world atm, but that's another point). I went into the game with terrible morale through our squad, despite still being 13th in the league, and Oldham's morale was good/very good. I lost EIGHT - ONE. They had had in the region of 28 shots at half time. By full time, they had around 40 shots. 40 shots from ONE team. You're lucky to see that many in 1 and a half games of football, and that's split between both sides.

No matter what I did, I could not get my defenders to stick close to the Latics strikers, MacDonald and Rooney. I tried hassling, tight marking, man marking them, I removed the hassling opponents and dropped deeper, to see if I could limit their chances in and around the box. Nothing worked. Every time their wingers got to a crossing position, Rooney and MacDonald were in acres of space, regardless of whether or not I had tight marking etc on.

This was the result, of two things. The match engine needing a fair few tweaks, and the morale sapping issue. The morale issue turned into a vicious circle. It appeared from nowhere, which led to a poor performance against Coventry, which ended in defeat. Morale dropped further, so I scraped a draw against Walsall. Morale randomly dropped again, leading us to get back to back slaughterings off Wolves and Oldham, which obviously left morale at an all time low. From nowhere to begin with!

The issues I have with the match engine are as follows;

1. There are often a ludicrous amount of shots, for one side or the other. Some people have it where their own side has 35+ shots, and few, if any, goals, wheras the opposition have 6 or so shots and nick a goal. In other peoples case, such as mine, it's where the opposition seem to hit 35+ shots. I watch a lot of football, on the tv, and I've been regularly going to Oldham games for the last 8 years or so. In all the time I've been watching Latics, I only remember one game where we had 25+ shots, and that was the second leg of the JPT regional final 11/12 against Chesterfield. I think that the amount of shots player take, needs toning down. It'd solve two problems IMO, the first being the insane amount of shots taken, and the second being the amount of ridiculous shots you see, either fired 20 yards wide from 15 yards out, or from the byline, and fizzing out for a throw in on the opposite wing.

3. Some of the passes at the moment are completely wild. I know that not every pass would be expected to connect, but sometimes I'm seeing player (on both sides) under no pressure, misplacing a simple 10 yard pass by a good 5 or 6 yards. As I said, I know this can happen sometimes, but I'm seeing it far more often than I'd consider realistic.

I know that some people are going to reply 'it's your tactics' or whatever, which is fair enough, but me and many other people are experiencing this. It doesn't seem to be effecting my friend anywhere near as much, but he's playing as an elite team with an elite managerial reputation from the start. I dispute the 'it's your tactics' response on two levels.

The first is the fact that I, in my opinion, understand tactics in modern football well. Without sounding like I'm 'blowing one's own trumpet', to quote George from Blackadder, I am qualified to coach football, and I do so. I'm not saying this is the be all and end all, there are thousands of people out there who have a grasp of tactics way better than I do. All I'm trying to prove is that I'm not some tactical noob, who is say;

1. Telling my team to hassle opponents whilst defending deeply.

2. Allowing opposition wingers to freely cross the ball when they have 2 6'3"+ strikers on the pitch.

3. Forcing players to go narrower who have solid long shot stats.

Please note the above are things I am NOT doing. Just three examples of tactical mistakes people could theoretically make.

Secondly, when people say, that other peoples tactics are wrong, what are we supposed to do about it? Lose game after game after game, tweaking and changing tactics to try and find something right? By the time that's happened, it's often too late. Bad morale has kicked in, or you've been sacked. I appreciate that it's not simple to get a team to fully understand a new tactic, but sometimes it feels futile when your players, particularly those in the defensive areas of the pitch, seem to bluntly ignore the tactical instructions you set anyway.

I'm sure some people have made successful tactics straight away, but those tactics don't suit every level. At the moment the game feels very difficult to me if you're playing at anything but an elite level, IE teams who are in Europe. To the people who are succeeding at finding solid tactics, and are enjoying the game, I wish them the absolute best. But sadly, for me, at the moment, I'm not enjoying the game.

I enjoyed it in BETA. Perhaps that was because the changes since have changed the game too much, or because I was playing as an elite side with elite reputation.

I hated FM13 with a passion. It felt somewhat unfinished. At the moment, FM14 feels the same way. Perhaps, as some people have said, next year a longer BETA may be a good idea? Yes, some people use it as a way to just play the game early, but others give valuable feedback and see things that the developers might not see. Ultimately it's SI's decision.

I'm not giving up on this years game, and I'm not writing any of the staff off. They've proven time and time again, particularly with FM12, that they are more than capable of getting it right. I'm going to take a break from the game, until the next patch is out. I know you guys can get it right, you've done it before, please go and do it again. I can't have another year of not getting hopelessly addicted to this game.

Apologies for the long post. If anyone, fan or staff, wishes to discuss this with me in more depth, please feel free to PM me and I'll help/explain in any way I can,

Cheers,

Nez

Best post in this thread! I agree 100% with everything you've said.

while I find the press conferences a bit of an improvement this year theres one question that bugs me. Who do you consider the opponents weakest link? As a question every now and again its fine, but to me it seems to be asked in almost every press conference and from the press real world conferences its not a frequent question. It seems to have taken the place of the question about who is the opponents most dangerous player, which is a much more common question in real life than the weakest link one.

Is it entirely realistic that Nikola Zigic wants 86k a week to sign for Middlesbrough?

If you saw him play last season, he wasn't worth 8.6K! Is this something to do with him having already been on 55K a week at Birmingham last season?

I have to agree, though, that is still looks like player demands are OTT in this year's version. Indeed, everything to do with contracts, player interaction (over-reaction) and transfers probably needs tweaking. Frustrating but, I think the latest version of the game is showing a lot of promise this year and just after release too, which makes a change lol!

In regards shot count and just looking through some of yesterdays games in the premier league, Championship and 1st and 2nd divisions, in most games the shot count was mid teens for most clubs, only in two games was there a high shot count for any team, Man City vs Norwich 27 – 7 and Hull vs Sunderland 25 – 9. Now although as a Norwich supporter it pains me to say it, Norwich were truly awful (please Chris a nice man you are, a manager at this level you are not, time to go) so no surprise there and in the Hull vs Sunderland game, Sunderland went down to nine men so that seems fair.

In the Championship Watford had the highest shot count (19) in a game they lost to Leicester (14 shots) 3-0, must have been an entertaining game, if a rather frustrating one for Watford. In most games the shot count for any one side was the low to mid teens.

In Division 1 Leyton Orient managed 20 shots in their game against Peterborough, for the rest pretty similar to the Championship.

In Division 2 Fleetwood managed the most shots 17.

So very high shot games are rare, Clubs that do manage a high number of shots far more often than not score a few, it’s rare for a team with a very high number of shots in a game to not score more than once (17+), it’s extremely rare when one side has a substantial higher proportion of shots in a game compared to the opposition for that side to lose.

So far this season and Its currently the 24th of March, I’ve had 8 instances in the league in which I have had over 20 attempts on goal, two of those games were 1-1 draws and one was a 0-0 draw, in one of the 1-1 draws there were 28 shots, with 16 against. The most shots in any match was 29 but a great many were pretty average based on the numbers in real leagues, I have not been involved in a game where one side had over 30 attempts on goal. The most I have had against me was 25 in a 1-0 loss to Tottenham in the Capital one cup, 11 on target, 1 CCC and 3 HC.

Below are my last 7 matches 2 wins and 5 draws

Shots for and against/Score/chances and half chances/possession

15-6/1-1/4HC-1CCC+1HC/58%-42%

14-5/0-0/4HC-1CCC+1HC/61%-39%

15-5/1-1/1CCC-1CCC+1HC/57%-43%

25-8/1-1/3CCC+4HC-1CCC+1HC/61%-39%

22-11/4-0/2CCC-3HC/58%-42%

16-9/1-1/1HC-1CCC+3HC/57%-43%

17-5/1-0/2CCC+4HC-2HC/52%-42%

Totals

Shots for 124

Shots against 49

Goals for 9

Goals against 4

CCC for 8

HC for 17

CCC against 5

HC against 12

Possession average for 57.71%

Possession average against 42.29%

Conclusion

Shots to goals ratio for 13.77

Shots to goals ratio against 12.25

Doesn’t look to bad, however take the 4-0 game out of the picture and we get

Shots to goals ratio 20.4

Shots to goals ratio against 9.5

So in six of those 7 matches my team had to generate twice as many shots per goal as the opposition.

Now of course this is small snapshot, however it is worth noting that all of these matches have been played since the last patch, I would except that that may or may not be relevant but I don’t doubt that I could back up those stats by looking back in depth over this season and the last.

Is this something I should report as a bug?

Having this with a few players. Youth Player is coming towards the end of his deal, when I go to offer a new contract he doesn't even want to discuss it.

http://i.imgur.com/Am1Kn32.png

But on Happiness he is said to be "Enthusiastic about his future at the club".

http://i.imgur.com/3Ge2V05.png

I've tried many times over the course of the season and have had no luck, already lost a few players last season who then didn't go on to sign for a new club. One player I managed to re-sign a few months later after he left me.

After 100 hours of FM14 and another 100 hours of frustration I won't comment this game anymore... It's just another beta, like FM13 was... SI should really work on this, otherwise you'll lose another customer.

width=150 height=77http://www7.pic-upload.de/thumb/03.11.13/1z2y27mm7kx.png[/img]

width=150 height=76http://www7.pic-upload.de/thumb/03.11.13/3kpteoyr66t.png[/img]

width=150 height=77http://www7.pic-upload.de/thumb/03.11.13/aj59krgsx5x4.png[/img]

width=150 height=76http://www7.pic-upload.de/thumb/03.11.13/d9y16h5scpe.png[/img]

After last patch my WBs ratings seem more normal again Good. However, no matter how I tweek the tactic the centerbacks have been getting consistantly low ratings, unless they score. From watching the games I must say I'm not ipressed by their play either - but then again I never were, not in beta, FM 13 or earlier. I can imagine this being a challenge for the ME. Anyway, There MIGHT be some ME related problem with CBs now, or atleast rating related problem. My Liverpool CBs are way too good for whats happening, and I have even managed to get the God-like Eder Alvarez Balanta and even he sucks as much as the others.

I have played the game now for a full 6 month period now, first time I've been able to stomach the terrible comebacks or alternatively not get sacked (apparently Chelsea don't like get constantly turned over at the last hurdle :)

However again trying not to be here slagging, I've bought the game (even though I believe it wasn't fully finished when it was released :( ) now I just want it improved and trying to help so I can get the best out of the game.

To that end I'm now into February and my results and performances, ratings and overall game-play has improved, still a lot of ME issues but the results are playing a lot truer I have a feeling however I'm no computer wizard that this could be linked to the morale as initially I was low morale throughout the team and when giving team talks the players were constantly questioning my credibility (cant think why!!!)

Since about November/December time morale started to climb and results started to turn I'm now in and around 2nd-4th place each week dependent on the result of the week I've no chance of catching 1st and I feel my league challenge was kinda over before I got started because of the issues initially where I was being turned over when well ahead.

There are still issues like I say with the match engine ie

1 Strikers not scoring.

2 Set plays seem to score much to high in proportion to open play making my centre back leading scorer. (John Terrys good but not that good)

3. Hitting the bar on average 3 times a game

4. When shooting seems to go well wide rather than being accurate with less shots.

As I said though the game has become so much more playable and realistic (apart from the points above) as I have progressed and the teams confidence in me and the morale of the team has gone up whether this is linked or relevant is for SI to decide but for me its pretty significant change when I myself haven't changed a lot and I'm sure its probably hard to pin point the issues and fix it straight away without messing another aspect up, so I hope this is useful feedback.

I'm not gonna drag on about the other issues I'm sure your well aware of them and are working towards fixing them.

Eagerly awaiting your next update.

G

Oh god where do I start! Everything aside from the ME is absolutely amazing! Best FM in that regard ever made. But the Match Engine is just plain awful. I'm into March now with Arsenal and haven't scored a single goal from outside the box in the whole season! Even with Cazorla and Ramsey having high long-shot stats. Actually my midfielders rarely score at all, none from the two CM's and a handful from Ozil as a CAM. Strikers are useless, Giroud can only score headed goals (and will miss several headed chances from 2-3 yards per match), haven't seen a single through-ball all season either. I consistently hit the woodwork several times a match. Half my goals have come from corners.

My players try long-shots, but half go wildly wide (mainly from Cazorla who has a 18 long shot rating I believe), while the others are saved by a comical sliding goalkeeper who manages to save even the most powerful efforts. It's ridiculous how you can make a game this good in every aspect apart from the ME.

I bought FM2013 but quickly hated it as it has a terrible ME, went back to FM 2012 which has an amazing ME. Why couldn't you just keep it the same? Looks like I'll be going back to FM 2012 again at this rate, I've already played it over 2000 hours in two years! This will be the last time I buy an FM if these ME issues aren't fixed. So disappointing.

At least tell us you realise the Match Engine is wrong and are patching it....

They have said that they are working on the ME. I think for the more part its "OK" but it needs a few tweaks especially on the defending side (wing play) and maybe a little up front in terms of finishing but balance that against chance creation.

This free agent issue is really starting to do my head in now.

I got promoted to League 1 in Scotland in my first season, and most of my best players left in the summer. Annoying, but it happens. So I'm now having to rebuild the squad, but what chance do you have when this happens?

I offer a midfielder £200 a week (will be one of my top earners), with a squad status of 'key player'. He accepted the offer, and then a day or so later it popped up another couple of clubs were also in for him. He eventually decided to sign for League 2 club East Stirlingshire on a whopping £75 a week. So he's accepted less than half of what I offered for a league below at a club 10 miles along the road.

NEVER HAPPENING. :herman:

Except it does. All the freaking time. It is the one part of the game that really annoys me, and makes it doubly difficult to try and build a decent squad, particularly after promotion where I'm gonnae be favourites for the drop anyway.

Sort that out, and we have a great game.

this free agent issue is really starting to do my head in now.

I got promoted to league 1 in scotland in my first season, and most of my best players left in the summer. Annoying, but it happens. So i'm now having to rebuild the squad, but what chance do you have when this happens?

I offer a midfielder £200 a week (will be one of my top earners), with a squad status of 'key player'. He accepted the offer, and then a day or so later it popped up another couple of clubs were also in for him. He eventually decided to sign for league 2 club east stirlingshire on a whopping £75 a week. So he's accepted less than half of what i offered for a league below at a club 10 miles along the road.

Never happening. :herman:

Except it does. All the freaking time. It is the one part of the game that really annoys me, and makes it doubly difficult to try and build a decent squad, particularly after promotion where i'm gonnae be favourites for the drop anyway.

Sort that out, and we have a great game.

sortitoutsi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Few issues I've noticed.

Apologies for the anecdotal nature of this:

1 - Red cards seem to be too frequent - so far in half a season I've seen 12 - even split between me/opposition. Granted I'm using high tempo and hassling opponents, but still seem too frequent.

2 - Defending of crosses/corners/IDFKs is fundamentally broken. Corners to feet in the 6 yard box are common, the ball bounces around the penalty spot fairly often from corners. Crossing, defenders just appear to switch off when the ball's in the air and fullbacks just watch...

3 - AI bidding for players they can't afford.... Getting several deals fall through because the AI doesn't have the funds, VERY frustrating.

4 - This one may be tactics related but I've had 90 minutes with me on "attacking" with not a single "key" highlight. I get that sometimes attacking may not be the most effective way of breaking down a troublesome opponent, but it should at least expose my team to counters and generate something over 90 minutes....

5 - option to overide assistants training selections missing/not working? As I've not got a clue I tend to let my assman do training. However he seems intent on over working my player. So i tinker with those who are unhappy, and next week, he puts them back to heavy work loads..... Can we have the option to override the assman?

6 - Contradictory assman advice. "Go Direct" then seconds later "we're losing possession"....

Please don't take the above as a sign I'm not happy! The game's very good, just needs some of the mroe significant issues ironed out.

I have to say this year's game has me scratching my head. I'm going to turn it off and wait until SI have sorted it. I've lost count on the amount of games I truly demolish the oppo, to lose. I have all my players bar strikers to shoot less often as all they seem to do is get 25 yards out and pass it back to the keeper or balloon it into the stands. Even when all my players are TOLD to work the ball into the box, they just potshot from distance. Take this game for example (it won't let me upload pic?!) But what it should show is my Liverpool team have been beaten at Reading despite having 32 shots 17 on target. Of the 32 shots 19 were long but none of my players should be shooting long. This is not a one off. It happens every sodding game and it's just unrealistic. The only goals I seem to get is when the keeper parries it after the 3rd strike. The ones where my players go one on one they inexplicably tw@t it wide when they really should bury them.

Sort it out SI

I seem to have a big transfer issue and I'm on 14.1.3, the weird thing is that I have not had this issue during beta.. it really seems something with this patch.

It's still my beta save and I'm playing as Real Madrid.. I offered Xabi Alonso, Pepe and Diego Lopez .. sure old players but previously because of the club reputation/player reputation and their rating the least bids you would get were transfer value.

Pepe has a value of 11 million.. so first I offer him for 20 million.. no bids.. but also no interest at all for xabi alonso and diego lopez.. (this normally was never the case).. then I offer Pepe for 10 million to other clubs (just below his value).. and I get one offer back for 3 million.. and offer xabi alonso and diego lopez also for a lower price and they still don't have any interest at all.. even xabi alonso..

On the other hand though buying players from other clubs seems to have become much more difficult since beta.. offering the transfer value for a player gets insta rejected (not even with a counter offer).. and even for players below 10 million.. people only start to talk to you when the bid is over 30 million or so..

tried never to complain before... but the ME is so bad that im out of words to describe it... from fullbacks that cant defend ****, to strikers who cant score. Please fix it so we can enjoy the game again. because now its just pain in the arse...

Sorry to sound like the annual "It's your tactics" jerk, but I do not seem to have any issues with getting people to cross the ball, or strikers scoring from open play. I noticed that my full backs were coming inside, rather than crossing, but I switched them for other full backs and the new guys are crossing rather than cutting in. My four stirkers have scored 11 goals in 10 games, none were penalties and only one was a freekick.

Feeling much better about this game than I ever did with the gold version of 13.

The amount of cards in pre-season is very silly and i have nobody on hard tackling, also during the season also have nobody on hard tackling and i get so much yellows and reds, even the opposition managers comment on my teams robust playing style i don't get it.

Had a career with Darlington in FM12, Europa League for the 2years in a row but few days ago I deleted everything about 12.

Now a little tear is falling down if I think about that career, now I really don't know what to do with this FM14, I feel somehow hopeless with almost any career I've started. I can't really stand anymore players skidding around, not defending, just watching the opponent doing nothig. This ball rolling and rolling and rolling gaining speed each time it touches the grass and never stopping. Crosses hitting the bar, headed shots hitting the bar too as a flipper. Things like these get you frutstrated in less than an hour, the only thing to do would be going back to 12.

Listen to me, I don't want to say it's sh*t, I believe the new ME had HUGE potential but it needs so many HUGE fixes, everything I can say now is that I REALLY miss 12's ME.

Anyone elses team have a tendency to give away the ball at the kick off? one of mine kicks the ball at his mate who then walks off and the opposition get the ball. They also recieved a free kick for a foul from a player who must have been ten yards away and then my keeper inexplicably picked up the ball and ran outside of the box with it to get sent off. Needless to say i replayed that match.

Edited to add

in the league cup semi finals (two legs) don't away goals apply anymore??? extra time after 2-2 and i'm away after a 0-0

Anyone elses team have a tendency to give away the ball at the kick off? one of mine kicks the ball at his mate who then walks off and the opposition get the ball. They also recieved a free kick for a foul from a player who must have been ten yards away and then my keeper inexplicably picked up the ball and ran outside of the box with it to get sent off. Needless to say i replayed that match.

Edited to add

in the league cup semi finals (two legs) don't away goals apply anymore??? extra time after 2-2 and i'm away after a 0-0

You can see the competition rules in the game. Check there.

I spend many hours trying to do all the things i normally do every year to see that nothing works.

I dont have the time to post screenshots too.

People are not lying, there isnt any need of detailed feedback, the problem is simple. Players do not defend.

Why dont you post some screens prooving the opposite? That defence and ME works nice (not good or perfect, just nice.)

I hope you're joking?

Not at all, I am really enjoying it. I bet the vast majority of peoples issues with the game aren't to do with the match engine but the instructions they are giving to their players (their tactics!!!)

Okay here we go, my posts need mod approvement to be shown?

Somehow my post disappears an I got no notification about it?

Are you damn serious?

Your game is NO FUN at all and If you want to post on your forum you just deny negative feedback?

Seriously, this one was the last FM I bought from SIgames.

Cheers from a customer since 2009, wo enjoyed former versions.

Not at all, I am really enjoying it. I bet the vast majority of peoples issues with the game aren't to do with the match engine but the instructions they are giving to their players (their tactics!!!)

post screens of results and stats.

Well, spent all morning playing and overall I'm finding it much more enjoyable and more of a challenge than FM2013.

Pros;

Game flows better generally.

Really enjoying the ME, though it does need a few tweaks.

The in-match tactical options are great. Clicking on a few buttons to give instructions, love it.

The assistant's comments and ability to act on them, very good.

The increased options in terms of talking to the captain and players, much better.

Loving the different colour boots on players very realistic.

Transfer negotiations, much better.

Cons;

ME, defenders need tweaking further. Some very odd-looking tackles on the flanks.

ME, second half whistle goes a second or two after kick-off.

ME, I like that some players have long sleeve shirts now, but a few have arms that are a different colour to the top half of the sleeves. It doesn't look right.

That's all. Really enjoying it otherwise.

Archived