Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

More here about the team talks, I really hope someone at SI can take time to answer if they are under review because they are somewhat baffling me.

I just played a game where it is 0-0 at half time, now we have played really well, 12 shots at goal 8 on target with 2 ccc, we are also dominating possession, the opposition have had 2 shots at goal and 1 on target.

Now it is clear we are playing well, come the half time team talk my assistant wants to say that the first half was disappointing, I find that a bit unfair as we have played well, we have just not scored.

I say to the team that we have played well and just keep going and the result will come, the entire team goes red, the entire team!

It makes no sense, we have been playing well and if we do the same for another 45 minutes there is a very good chance we will win.

Meh we won 2-0 at any rate. :)

JnTkeSc.png

All of a sudden I had six consecutive games without a win, despite my team being in top shape since the beggining of the season. Other than Napoli, the others were easy adversaries, anda even Napoli was expected to lose to me.

What changed, you might ask? I switched from 'Attack' to 'Balanced' in the team's training focus. Is that supposed to cause such a dramatic change in the team? Seems way unbalanced in my opinion. For the final three games I changed back to 'Attack' and ¡presto!, three wins.

Almost looks like the game had it's period. Is the game a she? Had I known I would've cursed alot less in front of it/her. :D

More here about the team talks, I really hope someone at SI can take time to answer if they are under review because they are somewhat baffling me.

I just played a game where it is 0-0 at half time, now we have played really well, 12 shots at goal 8 on target with 2 ccc, we are also dominating possession, the opposition have had 2 shots at goal and 1 on target.

Now it is clear we are playing well, come the half time team talk my assistant wants to say that the first half was disappointing, I find that a bit unfair as we have played well, we have just not scored.

I say to the team that we have played well and just keep going and the result will come, the entire team goes red, the entire team!

It makes no sense, we have been playing well and if we do the same for another 45 minutes there is a very good chance we will win. Meh we won 2-0 at any rate.

What is your reputation and how does it compare to the reputation of your team? What you're describing here sounds exactly what FM13 behaves like when your reputation is too low for the level you're managing at. I assume it still works the same. If you pick 'sunday league player' for example and try to manage a good team no-one will listen to what you have to say.

Hi all,

is it just me, or is it really hard to create a tactic with a high defensive line? I am playing a 4-2-3-1 with 2 DM (one Regista, actually), and a "Much Higher Defensive Line" plus "Hassle Opponent". All of my defenders and midfielders also have the "Close down more" player setting. That should make for a dangerously insane approach to defending, I think. My idea was to challenge the opponent as soon as we lose the ball.

What happens is the following: My defenders do push up towards the middle line, but as soon as the opponent has possession, they slowly fall back and only challenge the opponent's players once they already enter my penalty box! At that time, both my DMs are basically standing on the toes of my central defenders, which looks both uncomfortable and ineffective. I've already received tons of goals where the opponent winger ran to the ground-line (?) and then passed the ball back to the penalty corner, where one of the opponent's attacking midfielders had little trouble scoring.

In case this is a problem with my tactics (maybe "more expressive" or "Fluid" has a detrimental effect there), I would highly appreciate being corrected!

I play a 4-2-3-1 with Everton and we're playing very high up and doing rather well :)

Have a read in the Tactics forum, you might think there's nothing you can learn about tactics, but as I discovered, you always find insight from someone else!

I wanted to play higher up, press heavily, keep it short, retain the ball but not work into the box (I didn't want my wingers/fullbacks skipping crosses). So I adopted an 'Attacking' mentality after reading someone's topic about how to model Barcelona. You might think that means you've gone gung ho and sending every man forward, but that's not what's happened, you'll find players are far more inclined to play their football in the opposition half but don't necessarily go charging off or take risks.

I play with a Deep Lying Playmaker and Centre Midfielder Defend in the MC slots. I don't want DMC's dropping deep when i'm trying to play football in their half and the MC's with defending duties mean we still push and pressure high up, but we don't get caught out often.

I don't bother with the individual instructions, especially centrehalfs pressing because I don't want them stepping out of line and leaving a gap for a striker to roam into. I'd suggest getting the team instructions right, then tailoring individual players once you see their weaknesses in the matches. I had Negredo on loan from Man City but he kept wasting shots from 20 yards constantly... he soon slowed down once I told him to 'Shoot Less' in his instructions!

I'm more of the belief that Player Instructions should be reactive, react to your players mistakes, errors or wayward tendancies by altering their instructions. I hardly ever set them before seeing how they play with the defaults set.

Hi all,

is it just me, or is it really hard to create a tactic with a high defensive line? I am playing a 4-2-3-1 with 2 DM (one Regista, actually), and a "Much Higher Defensive Line" plus "Hassle Opponent". All of my defenders and midfielders also have the "Close down more" player setting. That should make for a dangerously insane approach to defending, I think. My idea was to challenge the opponent as soon as we lose the ball.

What happens is the following: My defenders do push up towards the middle line, but as soon as the opponent has possession, they slowly fall back and only challenge the opponent's players once they already enter my penalty box! At that time, both my DMs are basically standing on the toes of my central defenders, which looks both uncomfortable and ineffective. I've already received tons of goals where the opponent winger ran to the ground-line (?) and then passed the ball back to the penalty corner, where one of the opponent's attacking midfielders had little trouble scoring.

In case this is a problem with my tactics (maybe "more expressive" or "Fluid" has a detrimental effect there), I would highly appreciate being corrected!

You would be best posting in the tactics forum but I have to say your tactics do not look good at all.

You are playing a high line and asking players to hassle more and close down more and on top of that you are giving them more expressive play, that must leaves massive gaps in behind and even through the middle if your CBs are high up and closing down and hassling .

I use a 4-2-3-1 also, I am playing with...

-Stay on feet

-Hassle opponents

-Higher tempo

-Direct passing

-Pass into space

-Play out of defence

-Drill crosses

-Drop deeper

I know the Drop deeper and hassle opponents sort of conflicts but I only want my team to hassle the other team in our own third.

Edit-

I am sure wwfan is reading this and is a shame he does not post here anymore as I am positive he would help you out.

Like I said post in the tactics forum and wwfan will help you out.

It makes no sense, we have been playing well and if we do the same for another 45 minutes there is a very good chance we will win.

I usually follow the assistant advice at the start of a game, but once I have won a cup or a league, I usually do the opposite of what he says when my team is winning and his comment is negative or I just end up with half the team hating me if I do follow his advice.

To quote wwfan from his 'How to play FM14' thread:

10: Realise that team talks are contextual. They do not relate to the scoreline, rather how expected the scoreline is versus the quality / reputation of the opposition and the football you actually played. Sometimes you can be delighted at 0-0, at other times, if you've scraped a 2-0 lead with very few chances against a poor team, warning the team against complacency is required. React to what you think should have happened, not the scoreline. It's worth noting that although team talks and media interactions generally do not have a huge influence on how a match plays out, they can do. Sometimes a good motivational strategy will result in a player having the game of his life, and vice versa. Consequently, it can be worthwhile carefully considering your motivational strategy before key games, as it might make a subtle but vital difference during squeaky bum time.

Essentially, team talks are all about how your team should be performing. Personally I'm not too fond of this as depending on the strength of the team you put out, a result may well be disappointing, acceptable or superb (a team playing a relatively young and/or inexperienced squad in the Capital One Cup being an example). However, I can appreciate that it is probably quite difficult to code the game to assess comparable team strength as a variable in team talks.

I just got my fullback to be player of the match with a rating of 7.6 and I feel like I won the Champions League! :D

So far experience hasnt been bad, match engine seems a bit dodgy. and seriously sort out whoever is in charge of portuguese database 1/10 job done there. how can a player like matic have 8 stamina? someone who runs almost 14kms a game. Its as if the research does not watch football at all.

What's a good program to record on screen stuff?

So I can record some SI gameplay. I wanted to point out some issues.

If it is a goal you can upload to YouTube, outside of that maybe FRAPS, although I have never used FRAPS with FM so I am not sure how that would work.

What's a good program to record on screen stuff?

So I can record some SI gameplay. I wanted to point out some issues.

if you have an nvidia card I think the latest update has a game recorder integrated but in my case Ive been using bandicam for years and it works great, only problem is that it is not free.

So far experience hasnt been bad, match engine seems a bit dodgy. and seriously sort out whoever is in charge of portuguese database 1/10 job done there. how can a player like matic have 8 stamina? someone who runs almost 14kms a game. Its as if the research does not watch football at all.

Back 5 minutes and spamming already Pipson? :D if you want to contest any attribute ratings do it in the Data Forum.

What updates?

The patches on the Beta etc which solved all the issues that in Football Manager 2013 would have been there on release day.

Back 5 minutes and spamming already Pipson? :D if you want to contest any attribute ratings do it in the Data Forum.

been doing it for years kriss and its always the same disappointing outcome.

So, I played FM 2013 and I failed. Now I played the FM 2014 demo. The problem with FM 2013: I min-maxed some sliders and noticed that my matches looked quite the same, depending on the version of the patches and regardless of settings. Now, I play 2014 and instead of sliders I get more things to shout + sliders that are invisible. I still don't get any explanation whatsoever about varuious tactics settings or the different "tones" or the morale system on a whole. Thank you so much for this innovation! I certainly won't be reading the tactics forums this year. FM 2014 and its "new" tactics feature will be like playing a 10 wheel slot machine with tool tips.

If I am to purchase any future FM I will only do so if someone manages to write a proper documentation of each and every feature/option/stat that is in the game. Otherwise it's just too much guestimation to be wasting my time on this new and improved tactics hocuspocus.

I too am having a few issues with the release.

The issue with the match ratings is definitely a major problem. Whilst the full backs are the one's who are most effected, pretty much all my players are getting ratings of no more than 6.6/6.7 even if they have a solid game. Players who get an assist, have decent pass completion ratio's, avoid giving away fouls etc etc are still getting bog standard 6.5/6.6 ratings. The issue with the full backs is well documented, but I seem to be having this issue with everyone, admittedly to a lesser scale.

It is affecting many other factors of the game as mentioned. Morale, discipline, etc etc.

As for the match engine, I seem to be conceding a large proportion of goals that result from crosses towards the back post. It seems that when the winger hits the byline and cuts the ball back towards the far post, my defense and GK seem to freeze, and the opposite winger comes in at the back post completely unmarked to tap it in.

I get that the kind of cross in question is a lethal weapon in football, as neither the defenders or GK want to risk trying to deal with it in case it results in an own goal etc, but at the moment it's happening far too often; the crosses aren't being dealt with at source and the defenders seem to stop marking anyone when the opposition gets into the final third. The defending in general seems to slack; defenders don't actually seem interested in defending, be it closing down, tackling, or marking.

Also seem to be having an issue with players not moving into space that opens in front of them. A player receives the ball around 25 yards out with space to run into, and instead of dribbling into it (and being told to dribble more), they still fire a shot at goal from 25 yards, when in reality they could probably take another 2/3 touches without jeopardizing their chance to shoot without pressure.

Usually when they do shoot, it ends up being fired wide as well, even when not under much pressure.

Another *slight* issue I'm having is that when my players are on the ball, they seem to dilly dally with it, taking a few seconds to pass even in a situation where haste is required (ie being closed down, or if someone is in acres of space in a goal scoring position.). Compared to the opposition who seem to play intricate one touch passing, when it's required, I'm losing out on a few opportunities because the opposition is able to reorganize due to my players holding onto the ball for ages.

Just my thoughts/findings. Hopefully these'll be sorted soon because I know that there is definite potential in this years game (and I say that after having hated FM13 with a passion)!

You can be dispointed, and say it but really some peoples need to learn to be more respectful. I trust Si to fix all the issues with their games as quick as they can.

Hi all,

As well as the feedback you've had already, it is recognised that there are still problems with closing down / pressing in this current ME build 1426 and the high intensity pressing you'd expect from say, Barcelona, Dortmund, Southampton, just isn't happening at present no matter what you do with your tactics. This has been an issue for a long time and is obviously proving to be a tough nut for Paul C and his team at SI to crack.

It's a good game, no seriously it is. The rating issue's aside it is better than FM13, I'm actually interested in the media side of things that is a huge achievement in my opinion. The ME has it's faults but there mainly issue's I am used to and can deal with. Going by previous years I have faith in a better ME in the coming months but the game is playable and enjoyable at the moment. If you work with the limitation of the ME then you can have alot of satisfaction.

It's a good game, no seriously it is. The rating issue's aside it is better than FM13, I'm actually interested in the media side of things that is a huge achievement in my opinion. The ME has it's faults but there mainly issue's I am used to and can deal with. Going by previous years I have faith in a better ME in the coming months but the game is playable and enjoyable at the moment. If you work with the limitation of the ME then you can have alot of satisfaction.

Yeah, it's a seriously great version of the game. The ME is just a stubborn, stubborn, frustrating beast right now.

I've just noticed (im playing FMC, the thread over there is dead!) my Aston Villa team shows senior squad then Reserve squad. I though Reserve squads had been replaced by under 21 squads?

I'm happy as I don't seem to be getting the bugs/ issues that a lot of fellow managers here are getting. Maybe that because I'm playing FMC. My FBs are getting in the 7s more often than not. Low 7s. They have high tackle counts. My CBs however hardly ever tackle, they head a lot more and intercept more as well.

I read earlier that someone was having trouble with giving a player a nickname. Again, I have renamed Antonio Luna now known as Tony Moon. It is working fine.

I haven't had a chance to see what the transfer system is like as I have no money abut there are 6 teams interested in Benteke so I'm sure I will find out in 7 games! Sitting 10th, aiming for 7th. Really enjoying the game this year. First time in years as well even though I buy it every year.

Thanks SI for bringing this old player back into the fold. The only thing worrying me now is I have 4 or 5 ps3 games yet to play (this has made me stop playing GTAV) and a PS4 on pre order!

FMC hasn't dumped reserves because they're inanimate as far as gameplay goes, so it doesn't matter what they're called.

Compared to the opposition who seem to play intricate one touch passing, when it's required

If the opposition can do it, so can you with the correct training, players, and tactical set up. As has been said a thousand times before, the AI controlled teams can't do anything you can't do yourself.

Almost every cross is a goal... :/ disappointing

That's because you see every goal that comes from a cross, you don't necessarily see every missed chance that comes from a cross.

That's because you see every goal that comes from a cross, you don't necessarily see every missed chance that comes from a cross.

3 or 4 cross goal/game is unacceptable

game 0 out of 10 unplayable (like last year) crashes at start biggest football management game on the planet don't make me laugh... yes some of you will defend it but can you imagine buying fifa/cod etc popin them in your xbox and getting nothing , wouldn't happen but seems to be a the norm with fm now

Right, in the interest of fairness, and after having a little moan earlier....

I started a new save with Silkeborg (Danish 2nd Division), playing a very attacking 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond formation. I won't go into too much detail on the tactics, but I wanted to feed back some of my observations.

My first pre-season game ended in a 4-5 defeat and I was shaking my head in dismay. If I skip on to the main season though, when I'm playing teams on a similar level to mine, then I have recorded results of 2-0, 0-0 and 3-1, which I find to be quite acceptable, obviously.

I'm still seeing too many shots per game, I would say. Yes, the full backs are a bit stupid, and so are the attackers when they get to the byline in the box and play a pass to the CB, but I haven't experienced the crossing being too overpowered.

The match ratings are also a bit low, but saying that, only one of my regular back four has a rating less than 7 thus far, so it's not too bad. My midfield are suffering though (6.6 - 6.9).

This is all high level stuff, but I'm currently not seeing the really bad issues that others are (and I was on my previous save).

game 0 out of 10 unplayable (like last year) crashes at start biggest football management game on the planet don't make me laugh... yes some of you will defend it but can you imagine buying fifa/cod etc popin them in your xbox and getting nothing , wouldn't happen but seems to be a the norm with fm now

Given it's not 'crashing at the start' for everyone (in fact, can't remember anyone saying this), do you not think the problem might be, you know, at your end?

An avid fan and long term player of Football Manager, it somewhat breaks my heart that the full release of FM14 is such a shoddy, bug ridden, unrealistic, soul destroying piece of work.

I have spent the last two days relentlessly playing the game in an attempt to see if, in fact, the issues I am having are solely down to me (to all you 'it must be your tactics' bandits out there, if you truly believe that then I'll have some of what you're taking please)... Maybe I'm not fully understanding the new team instructions, signing players who aren't good enough, simply not taking the game seriously enough... All complete tosh! No matter what I do, who I manage or who I play against the same game ruining defects remain. It's gotten to the point now where I just have to give up – and I played FM13 which had it's fair share of bugs and rotten updates for over 1400 hours!

The ratings system is so abysmal that there may as well not be one – it has such a detrimental effect on every other aspect of the game it makes me feel a little like Tom Hanks trying to escape the island in Cast Away... Wave after wave after wave will just keep throwing you back to shore.

Defending is non existent – set defensive instructions to hassle opponents, mark tightly, whatever, and still you'll have a situation where Paddy Madden at Yeovil is tearing through your fully international back line on a mazy 40 yard run, doing a pirouette around your centre halfs and playing a delightful little through ball to their winger whilst your full backs sit on the sidelines eating a cheese sandwich whilst flicking through The Sun. This is of course unless you're the opposition defence... Oh no, don't worry there... Your top players will run at them, their defenders will fall down like planks and miraculously win the ball cleanly!

Hitting the posts is still a huge problem. Cross from deep – hit the crossbar, shoot from range and either hit the post or the corner flag (which in this instance I would like to think of as a post)... I had one game where Kevin Mirallas hit the left post only for the ball to ricochet straight past the keeper and hit the right hand post then rocket its way back to the oppositions midfield, who of course launch a perfect counter attack whilst your players dally around and file their nails! Twice in the same game! Actually I think each incident was in a 14 minute time frame, but who's counting?

Strikers can't shoot, midfielders can't pass (no matter how great they are the majority of simple passes in the middle of the park are intercepted despite their being no real initial pressure – the opposition players just find a sudden burst of inhumane speed and collect the ball like stealing sweets from a baby)... You can't sell players for peanuts, yet woe betide the man who tries to make an offer for others.... Without selling off the stadium, your house and offering the opposition manager a go on your wife just to sign a fair to average Scandinavian you've got no chance! This is unless you go to Celtic, obviously... Couple of cans of Iron Bru will buy you half their squad!

Players wage demands are such that you can't realistically have players in your squad for more than a couple of year. Renewing contracts is a pitfall of astronomical nonsense, for star players or reserves – unless you manage one of the BIG clubs I can't see a way any team can go three seasons without completely changing their squads.

I could go on, am fighting the urge to not go completely bat **** crazy, but I won't. It's plain for all to see that FM14 is thwart with problems to the point where the game is just not enjoyable to play at the moment. I really hope SI do take on board all that everyone else is saying and striving right the many wrongs with most notably the ME, but all other issues you're experiencing too. I appreciate the sheer amount of data (even in this mood I can't help but congratulate them on the database, it is a thing of beauty) must be a coding nightmare but seriously, why put all that effort into something when really all the statistics and all the tactical nuances in the world are ultimately as useful as a sparrows fart in the wind if you're unable to process them correctly?

Good luck, SI... You've got one hell of a job on your hands. I look forward to the updates. In the mean time I'm off to watch Vincent Kompany get the run around from Rob Hulse! :applause:

Don't want to be patronising but this is just not true. You got to put in the hard graft if you want the best results. Study everything, like a real manager would. My team are like my babies, and every goal threat to their survival :D

Does anyone play without full backs? I've always played with three centre halves in Football Manager and have managed to bring success to Aris in Greece. Two seasons in and I haven't won a match outside cup competition. Fortunately with the same team I can't win with my ass man with the worst managing stats you can imagine can take them on a 12 match unbeaten run including nine straight victories!

Am I just absolutely rubbish with the new FM or is it now impossible to play without full backs?

:(

I'm having a great time playing. Very playable for me. As for FIFA, look back through the thread and you will see someone who said that FIFA 14 is unplayable, and their forums going crazy cos EA haven't released a patch in weeks! At least SI engage with us here and on twitter, Acknowledge the issues and are working towards correcting them.

this is why im happy i didnt buy fm on release day for the first time in years

selling a broken game two years in a row, wont bother till after a couple patches

Just scored a goal in a friendly and their keeper picked the ball out of the net and carried it the centre spot, which was very nice of him, but probably shouldn't have happened.

I'm happy with the new FM to be honest, mind you i dont receive the full version until the morning. Playing version 14.1.1 on BETA, only gripe i have is i wont play anymore until transfer fees being offered and paid are sorted.

This is of course unless you're the opposition defence... Oh no, don't worry there... Your top players will run at them, their defenders will fall down like planks and miraculously win the ball cleanly!

Tactics pure and simple, if the AI can do it the so can you, and you can. And if you studied the limitations you were moaning about so much it would hit you like a lightning bolt how to attack the AI in multiple ways, multiple.

So, I played FM 2013 and I failed. Now I played the FM 2014 demo. The problem with FM 2013: I min-maxed some sliders and noticed that my matches looked quite the same, depending on the version of the patches and regardless of settings. Now, I play 2014 and instead of sliders I get more things to shout + sliders that are invisible. I still don't get any explanation whatsoever about varuious tactics settings or the different "tones" or the morale system on a whole. Thank you so much for this innovation! I certainly won't be reading the tactics forums this year. FM 2014 and its "new" tactics feature will be like playing a 10 wheel slot machine with tool tips.

If I am to purchase any future FM I will only do so if someone manages to write a proper documentation of each and every feature/option/stat that is in the game. Otherwise it's just too much guestimation to be wasting my time on this new and improved tactics hocuspocus.

I'm pretty certain you get a paragraph and some information on what each shout does when you hover over it.

This literally could not be further than the experience I am having. May want to look in the mirror with this one

Oh don't get me wrong, I get around opposing defenders the majority of the time (just don't like the way the tackling looks, it's odd)... not that it matters - am yet to see, in over 80 hours of beta and now full version of game, a single CCC scored. The problem mainly lays with one-on-one opportunities. Just seem to shoot wide or straight at the keeper. Very frustrating... but it's early days, sure SI will tackle these issues with gusto...

this is why im happy i didnt buy fm on release day for the first time in years

selling a broken game two years in a row, wont bother till after a couple patches

Only it's not 'broken' in the slightest. It's probably the most stable, playable first release of an FM game in many, many years. Yes, it needs a few things fixed, but so does almost every game post-release.

am yet to see, in over 80 hours of beta and now full version of game, a single CCC scored.

My team have scored at least one CCC in four of their last five games. The opposition have also scored a couple in this timeframe too. And that's only going back five games. I'd suggest there's something up with how your team are being set out.

I know fifa is unplayable every body traded them back in will the same people buy fifa next year?? no 50% wont I think, will I buy fm next year no I humed and r this year after last years none playable game and same again this year