Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think, a few buggy animations aside, 'keepers are far more reliable than in FM13, where if they weren't running out of their goal and clearing it straight to the opposition to hit into an empty net, they were letting strikers head the ball in from the goal line and not reacting to anything in their six yard box.

On FM14 I've noticed they are a lot more pro-active with coming out to any overhit passes, and they actually catch crosses and corners. Massive improvement for me.

i dunno, at times i'd agree and say the keepers are more reliable, but there's just some stupid incidents that seems to ruin them, granted most are probually bugs and will be fixed but i dislike seeing my keeper coming for a corner cross at the edge of his box, going for a pint during a freekick and kicking a pass back out for a corner kick

Even though the ME has its faults, it can produce something brilliant at time, like this goal with Dagenham and Redbridge we just got promoted to the EPL and we are playing 4231 with spanish passing, flair and movement!

[video=youtube;Xp1kvTYRvHU]

From defense to attack, 11 passes. perfect short passing and excellent movement

Nice goal but certainly highlights one of the defensive issues - the guy who scores can make an unchecked run into the box because his marker stands completely still instead of tracking his run. In fact it looks like he's not even facing the play.

If you check before the goal, his marking him well, closing him down but cant get close, and then when my fwd gets the ball the defender is looking at the ball but my player is behind him and once the pass is through my player makes a run for it and he reacts too late, also you have to take his attributes into account and not fault the ME. that player has 11 marking, 12 tackling, 12 positioning, 11 concentration, 13 anticipation, 11 decisions - attributes like that i dont expect him to play any better.

If you check before the goal, his marking him well, closing him down but cant get close, and then when my fwd gets the ball the defender is looking at the ball but my player is behind him and once the pass is through my player makes a run for it and he reacts too late, also you have to take his attributes into account and not fault the ME. that player has 11 marking, 12 tackling, 12 positioning, 11 concentration, 13 anticipation, 11 decisions - attributes like that i dont expect him to play any better.

But the defender doesn't move at all until the ball reaches the attacker. You don't need 20s in all your defensive attributes to cut out simple through balls. Looks like a clear bug to me, and I hope such situations will be eradicated with the improvements to the match engine.

Say what ?!?

I'm Preston, have a look at match stats in lower left ... Shocking considering final score. :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jgaub0yxsmo73l/Say%20what.jpg

Why does this seem to happen pretty often? Even with tactic change at half time.

Yeah, I know I didnt do any subs, I forgot in the midst of being shocked. :D

You had many more shots, but many were off target and you only created one more clear cut chance than your more efficient opponent?

What's the point you're trying to make?

Not trying to make a definite point - I just find it a bit shocking that something like that tend to happen more in FM than in real life.

I would'nt say Reading were more efficient - their goal was a long shot at goal - where most of mine where from inside the penalty box, but their goalkeeper had a magical night.

The "Overload" strategy you see in my SS, is only from 71' min. Me desperately trying to score, and it does give me a couple more chances before final whistle, but no go.

I just find it irritating and funny, that us, the players tend to get alot more chances without scoring than the AI, but AI converts better with their few chances..

Anyway - not trying to make a point, maybe just trying to raise something I find troublesome, that SIgames should work on.

If I'm all in the dark and wrong about how I approach it, then I sincerely apologize.

So i just lost to wigan. No biggie, Lord knows that i've only managed to get to 8th in the table through the efforts of Jack Hobbs and abusing the near-post corner bug. Problem i have is with the manner of the loss. I conceded first. Chris wood picked up the ball in midfield, jinked past Hobbs and his glacial pace and unleashed a shot from 25 yards out which beat Nicola Leali. Naturally i went over to Chris Wood's stats, 13 in Longshots? That's feasible then.

I sighed and turned back to the game with my rage subdued. I had left too much space for Chris Wood to shoot, but it was part of my gameplan for the match, cede possession and counter. "Eighty minutes left, more than enough time" I said to myself, and sure enough we scored ten minutes later, my new signing Vitinho sliding through an excellent pass across the box for my regen midfielder, Valentyn Chupryna to slot in easily. I smiled and fist-pumped, everything was going to plan. After halftime i decided to cede even more possession, sitting as deep as i could to allow my Advanced forward, Carlos Fierro more space in which to make his runs. Three times, Three times! Fierro was set through by an exquisite through ball by Quintero, Three times Carlos Fierro missed a one-on-one with the keeper, shooting it straight at the (presumably) grinning goalie. Carlos Fierro rates a 16 in Finishing, Composure, Off-the-ball and Anticipation, he could have also waltzed around the keeper as his Dribbling(15), First Touch(14) and Technique (16) are none too shabby, his pace(16) and acceleration(17) are stellar as well. Judging from his stats he's a good, young poacher or Advanced forward right? Always looking to run off the shoulder of the last defender and should be terrifying to the other team in a one-vs-one with the goalie right? I play all my games(On Comprehensive) and watch every goal and i have never, not once in three seasons of managing Nottingham forest, seen him score a one-on-one. It's a known issue right? Why am i bringing it up? Well it's cus mere seconds after Fierro missed the last of his trio of CCC's, Chris wood laid off the ball to McCann and somehow, somehow(seeing as i was sitting so deep and Chris wood isn't exactly Theo Walcott) ran onto a through ball from another(whose name escapes me atm) Wigan midfielder and one-one one with my Keeper(Nicola Leali) slotted it into the bottom right hand corner. Two shots, two goals, one irate Blueflash. Naturally we lost the game, after having three times their shots, although admittedly with only 4 CCC's.

By the way Daylight, if you're still lurking around at this time. I got my save back, loaded it up while muttering prayers and lo and behold it worked! Then i made the braindead decision to play some matches.

Also, Ackter, by my count I've made about eight or nine posts since the start of this thread(all i do is lurk honestly) and that was my only post about mods. I do not care about the moderators here(Though i do like wwfan) I almost never post, and when I do it's in the Good player and team forum and the rate my regen thread. I have been driven to GD by the imminent update. I am parched and once I have been watered down(metaphorically speaking) by the update I will disappear. I do not intend to offend any of the Mods here, and i understand how frustrating it can get(was a mod once, though the forum was not this big) Most people moaning here aren't bad guys, we just want to play and swear at the referees in-game.

personally i dont think its a bug, 11 concentration he mightve been day dreaming whats his gonna have for dinner when he gets home lol. if we go by what ur saying through balls would never work and every game would end up 0-0

11 is above average. If he had 2 or 3 for concentration, then maybe, but I really don't think players should totally freeze like that in mid-match.

See if the Wigan forwards had missed lots of one on one CCC's and Fierro had scored with his only attempt, would you still have posted?

Yes. I don't care about losing, i just want to genuinely enjoy the game i'm playing. That's all i want. I want the difference in attributes to be more obvious, I want to see my highly creative AP\s slide in beautiful through balls, i want to see my CD's make excellent tackles. I want to be able to tell where my tactics are going wrong. At the moment, I often can't tell if it's my tactics or the ME. That's what's frustrating me. I started playing this game as a nine or ten year-old. No one held my hand, no one explained anything to me, i figured it out myself, i want to be able to do that.

Yes. I don't care about losing, i just want to genuinely enjoy the game i'm playing. That's all i want. I want the difference in attributes to be more obvious, I want to see my highly creative AP\s slide in beautiful through balls, i want to see my CD's make excellent tackles. I want to be able to tell where my tactics are going wrong. At the moment, I often can't tell if it's my tactics or the ME. That's what's frustrating me. I started playing this game as a nine or ten year-old. No one held my hand, no one explained anything to me, i figured it out myself, i want to be able to do that.

I agree with most of your points.

I also adore this game, for all the small things, the learning, the perfecting things over time.

And I would have hoped, that with all the time SIgames have had with FM ( last 4-5 years ) minimum, that they would have done more with the ME than they had.

And also made attributes worth more than they are - because that is really what you look for in a player.

Its disheartening to see a 27 year old striker (who shall remain nameless for his own sake) with 18 finishing, 15 composure, 17 technique have 9 shots, 7 of which on goal, and not score a single goal.

Only to see the AI have a 19 year old striker in front with only 11 finishing, 13 composure, and 10 technique have 2 shots, 1 on goal and score.

Its similar disheartening to see a goalkeeper with 19 arial ability 17 positioning and being 196cm tall, get scored upon twice in a game via headers on corners, with the AI only have 4 corners in total.

This is not in anyway pointed towards anyone person, nor mods. But the game and its ME.

I know the ME gets blamed for alot of things... But seriously, looking at when the ME first got introduced, and then now... It should have been improved alot more.

The more refined the ME is, the more specific the attributes become, the more interesting it gets to learn to create tactics, to play, to test to really dig yourself a hole and work work WORK. :D

Anyone seen yesterday's game between Bayern and Dortmund? They were pretty much leveled, Dortmund was actually better in the first half, better chances etc. Bayern won 3-0 in the end, and yep, it was Klopp's tactics, because he chose to play the risky card. Oh, and just have a look on the injury list of both teams, especially those who moan about injuries in FM.

Anyone seen yesterday's game between Bayern and Dortmund? They were pretty much leveled, Dortmund was actually better in the first half, better chances etc. Bayern won 3-0 in the end, and yep, it was Klopp's tactics, because he chose to play the risky card. Oh, and just have a look on the injury list of both teams, especially those who moan about injuries in FM.

That's not the point. In a managerial game match when a team dominate and the other team wins MUST be possible. It's the beauty of football.

But this has not to happen in 1 game on 2, this is what make me down with this game. Every single match it's the same, if you win or if you lose. I win a league with Prato (i came from there :D ) - Italian C1 - and i see things that i have never imagined.

If strange things happens ok, it's football. But sometimes, not always.

Sorry for my english.

I agree with most of your points.

I also adore this game, for all the small things, the learning, the perfecting things over time.

And I would have hoped, that with all the time SIgames have had with FM ( last 4-5 years ) minimum, that they would have done more with the ME than they had.

And also made attributes worth more than they are - because that is really what you look for in a player.

Its disheartening to see a 27 year old striker (who shall remain nameless for his own sake) with 18 finishing, 15 composure, 17 technique have 9 shots, 7 of which on goal, and not score a single goal.

Only to see the AI have a 19 year old striker in front with only 11 finishing, 13 composure, and 10 technique have 2 shots, 1 on goal and score.

If you're seeing this often there's things you can do tactically to improve your chances of scoring and limit the AI's counter threat. Start a thread in the tactics forum explaining your tactics and the trouble you're having and people will be able to help you maximise your threat.

Its similar disheartening to see a goalkeeper with 19 arial ability 17 positioning and being 196cm tall, get scored upon twice in a game via headers on corners, with the AI only have 4 corners in total.

Now this annoys me. I've never liked how the goalkeepers behave at corners, but if you're watching key highlights, you're only going to see the times where it goes wrong. You'll need to watch the full match to see a keeper catch the ball from the corner and distribute it without fuss.

That's not the point. In a managerial game match when a team dominate and the other team wins MUST be possible. It's the beauty of football.

But this has not to happen in 1 game on 2, this is what make me down with this game. Every single match it's the same, if you win or if you lose. I win a league with Prato (i came from there :D ) - Italian C1 - and i see things that i have never imagined.

Sorry for my english.

If it's happening always, there's tactical things you can do to fight it. There's something in your tactic that is leaving far too much space for the AI to attack into. Having a read of the Tactics Forum will show you some threads that'll help.

Sorry for my english.

Last night the teams had competent managers in charge. In FM, this isn't always the case.

Edit: People moan on here that they're ALWAYS seeing something happening, but yet they don't change anything. The same things will continue to happen unless you do something about it.

Man what a day!After all the celebrating for reaching the CL with my Leipzig side I switched on the game this morning, got my season budget and thought "right lets get in some really good players".I hit the search button and just as I did it hit me....CL football...players trained in nation....players trained at club!It was never my thought I would get into the CL so fast, I thought at least 2 or 3 seasons... Oh man damn that tactics forum!I have exactly 2 players trained in my nation .... 2!I have spent the entire day ignoring the wife and searching for players, I have finally managed to get a few players out and a few players in that were trained in the nation in.As you can see by my 'location' I normally love to search for players but this has been an almighty struggle, I am still missing a couple of trained in nation but I still wanted a quality striker and thought I had one with a transfer I had agreed..but then this..ijff.jpgNow he is a player I have that I added to the transfer as I don't need him anymore and it helped to bring the price down.At first glance it seems fair enough, he wants a better deal, nothing wrong with that.Now here is the 'feedback' bit.He wants a goal bonus,He is a goalkeeper!!!!Man it took me ages to get them to agree to a deal, there was no fast track as they always wanted me to offer the deal so they could think about it, then the plug gets pulled as the goalkeeper wants a goal bonus!I need a beer.

I'm actually more concerned about this. All the other stuff in this thread is well documented and has been talked about time and time again and is already being looked into.

However, do we know whether this has been raised as there is a potential exploit here with signing keepers. If they decline a contract due to a goal bonus it probably means they will accept a contract due to one. This means we could offer crazy bonuses to ensure that the keeper signs a contract knowing full well they're not going to score goals.

If you're seeing this often there's things you can do tactically to improve your chances of scoring and limit the AI's counter threat. Start a thread in the bugs forum explaining your tactics and the trouble you're having and people will be able to help you maximise your threat.

Now this annoys me. I've never liked how the goalkeepers behave at corners, but if you're watching key highlights, you're only going to see the times where it goes wrong. You'll need to watch the full match to see a keeper catch the ball from the corner and distribute it without fuss.

In the tactics forum? :)

Also, are goalkeepers buggy as hell or is the animation just really poor? I can't tell.

Do you need to be told something is wrong to confirm a problem that may not exist? If you think you see an issue raise a bug in the bugs forum and support it with evidence.

I'm not really usre yu are explaining what you think is wrong?

Last night the teams had competent managers in charge. In FM, this isn't always the case.

Edit: People moan on here that they're ALWAYS seeing something happening, but yet they don't change anything. The same things will continue to happen unless you do something about it.

Well said. Something I always say - its pointless moaning and doing nothing because nothing will ever change. You can apply this to life in general as well as FM :D

For those complaining that the AI cheats when a human plays AI weaker opposition in season 2013/2013 AI Bournemouth beat AI Man Utd in the FA Cup final 2:1

Bournemouth: 5 shots, 3 on target

Man Utd: 30 shots, 9 on target

Possession 60:40 in Man Utd's favour

Bookings 5 Man Utd, 1 Bournemouth

so it seems upsets even happen in the AI world :D

Yrs but that happened once, maximum ten times in a single BPL season. In FM, that buggy situation happens way more often than that.

If it happens way more often than that it's because your tactics are inviting it to happen.

I need a little help from a Mod. I'm trying to do this:- http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=218 (win 7), but I have yet to find this "Preferences" folder!

I must be typing in the wrong thing (tried with and without the colon thru' to 2014), could you let me know exactly what needs to go in the search box please.

Cheers

xxx

Click on Start > paste ''%localappdata%/sports interactive/football manager 2014'' (without quotation marks!) in the ''Search programs and files'' bar > press ''Enter''. It will automatically open the desired folder. Works for me just as in description in FAQ on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Same outcome! In that message, is the address being shortened deliberately or could it be the search facility recognising only that part of what I pasted in???

Don't know to be honest. FrazT is your man for that. :D

I'm starting to thin that you haven't installed the game correctly. :D if you have, you need to run the game at leat once in order for those folders to create IIRC.

It's the demo, I've run it several times, mostly due to 5 crash dumps today. I haven't even got to choose a team yet! Could it be that I'm running it in offline mode, but not done everything needed to make it work properly?

It's the demo, I've run it several times, mostly due to 5 crash dumps today. I haven't even got to choose a team yet! Could it be that I'm running it in offline mode, but not done everything needed to make it work properly?

I haven't got the demo installed so cannot check but should the file path not be;

C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2014 Demo

​Just a hunch

Thanks anyway Fabio, the message is actually slightly different when I paste in your suggestion: UuxFuI6.png

Edit: Does anyone know of another way to delete these "Preference" files?

Try the Roaming folder instead of local.

I took a glance at my country's fm14 community forum and to my surprise as i browsed through the 49 pages of comments i couldn't find anyone complaining, not about the ME not about anything in fact. They are discussing tactics and transfers, asking advice giving advice. Posting amazing developed regens and overall being extremely addicted to this year's edition. That got me thinking that maybe this years edition does not enjoy plug and play gameplay. I guess it needs another try from my part, dwelling deep into the tactics and less pressing continue and ask assistant to pick players.

Archived