Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Oh I just noticed another bug. Played a match ended 1-1, a good draw in Munich. Oh wait.. Bayern won 2-1 despite no one scored the second goal for them haha!

90y81c.jpg

Edit: oh well it seems just a missmatch of the shot. Things are back to normality once quitted the page :) Just in time I was ordering at the grocery store a new liver :D

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We don't get patches, only updates :p how long before people get with the terminology, it's damned irritating :D

Irritating to those of us who say they are patches for sure.

Sorry, but SI don't get to choose the language of others. SI can choose their own language by all means :)

You do realise the more you say this, the more people will continue to use the word "patches" because they really don't like being told what words to use ;)

We don't get patches, only updates :p how long before people get with the terminology, it's damned irritating :D

Of course it could be argued that mixing the terminology is maybe less "irritating" than (for example) purchasing a piece of software that does not work as advertised for several weeks because it needs patching. ;)

Of course it could be argued that mixing the terminology is maybe less "irritating" than (for example) purchasing a piece of software that does not work as advertised for several weeks because it needs patching. ;)

updating :D

To all those who won't play the game because of its perceived 'unplayability' and are itching for a game - Before the update comes out, start up a game on FM Classic. For some reason, many of the issues in the main game simply aren't there in classic mode. Fullback ratings are fine, there's nowhere near as many goals from corners, playable full detail leagues have more realistic scorelines, and contract issues don't appear to be as harsh.

I have no idea why this is, or if it's simply that I've been lucky in the save I've started - although I've checked stats from other leagues too - but it's a joy to play at the moment. And I'm someone who's currently loving the main game, despite its faults.

Definition of the word, "Update"

"To bring up to date", "To bring files up to date"

Definition of the word, "Patch" in regards to Computers.

"Computer Science A piece of code added to software in order to fix a bug, especially as a temporary correction between two releases."

Some might argue for one over the other, others might argue the other way around. Nevertheless, we know what people mean when they say, Update or Patch.

Let us leave it at that.

Personally I love Football Manager, with all its flaws and/or bugs. I know that Paul and SIgames will fix problems eventually.

I always come back year after year to purchase and play hours on end - and have been since Championship Manager 2. (Yes, I'm THAT old!)

I'm loyal and determined to the end with Football Manager, and whoever is posting on these forums, whether it be praise or complaints, I know that deep inside, they love this game.

Otherwise they would'nt come out and praise nor complain - they care... Some just say things in a different way, and there could be many reasons for that. (Not impying we should start a debate on that).

Thanks to Paul C, and his team of hard working developers for making us such a beautiful game.

Thanks to all the moderators on the forums, for being patient with all of us, and for sticking around through the good and bad times.

Now lets play the game, and dilligently wait for Paul C, and his team to FIX whatever bugs that have been found by all of us loyal FM gamers.

Have we really got to the stage where we're debating "update vs "patch"?

I can see I missed nothing at work then :D

I agree with you themadsheep2001 and, with the greatest respect to you, it was not the community who triggered this debate. It was moderators who asked people to change their language from "patch" to "update".

You're right, it has got to this stage and I'd suggest you look indoors, because you're right if you're saying that this has become a debate. It has become a debate because some people have made it so - again look indoors.

No individual person gets the right to change language.

I agree with you themadsheep2001 and, with the greatest respect to you, it was not the community who triggered this debate. It was moderators who asked people to change their language from "patch" to "update".

You're right, it has got to this stage and I'd suggest you look indoors, because you're right if you're saying that this has become a debate. It has become a debate because some people have made it so - again look indoors.

No individual person gets the right to change language.

I'm actually more concerned you've taken my post seriously. It's an entirely irrelevant point of argument. Although i don't know why I would look in house either. Nor at any point have I said ( or indeed cared) what they are called.

I'm actually more concerned you've taken my post seriously. It's an entirely irrelevant point of argument. Although i don't know why I would look in house either. Nor at any point have I said ( or indeed cared) what they are called.

Well I think we should all take posts that have thought in them seriously, as you clearly did in replying to mine. As I am now yours. :)

As for the "in-house" comment - I'm not going to comment further. That is for you and also the community here to reflect on.

Definition of the word, "Update"

"To bring up to date", "To bring files up to date"

Definition of the word, "Patch" in regards to Computers.

"Computer Science A piece of code added to software in order to fix a bug, especially as a temporary correction between two releases."

Some might argue for one over the other, others might argue the other way around. Nevertheless, we know what people mean when they say, Update or Patch.

Let us leave it at that.

Personally I love Football Manager, with all its flaws and/or bugs. I know that Paul and SIgames will fix problems eventually.

I always come back year after year to purchase and play hours on end - and have been since Championship Manager 2. (Yes, I'm THAT old!)

I'm loyal and determined to the end with Football Manager, and whoever is posting on these forums, whether it be praise or complaints, I know that deep inside, they love this game.

Otherwise they would'nt come out and praise nor complain - they care... Some just say things in a different way, and there could be many reasons for that. (Not impying we should start a debate on that).

Thanks to Paul C, and his team of hard working developers for making us such a beautiful game.

Thanks to all the moderators on the forums, for being patient with all of us, and for sticking around through the good and bad times.

Now lets play the game, and dilligently wait for Paul C, and his team to FIX whatever bugs that have been found by all of us loyal FM gamers.

What I'm hoping for is for people to pick up on the things that haven't already been reported, because the update won't catch everything.

Have we really got to the stage where we're debating "update vs "patch"?

I can see I missed nothing at work then :D

Not much else to do on the forums while we wait for the pa... err... I mean update. It's just funny when companies try to sugarcoat things with more positive words, thinking the public can't see through it.

No offense to SI, no game give me more pleasure over a year than FM. And the developers do a terrific job fixing and tuning the game after release. Many other devs don't. Kudos for that.

But I guess spindoctors need jobs too :)

What is the most goals someone has got out of a single player in FM14 so far?

I feel like Messi is being limited somehow so that his stats arent 3x higher than anyone else. How often does he miss 50% of his penalties? How often does he miss the target from 12 yards out?

daylight has done a great job to turn things round, and the Tactics forum did its bit to help.

Technically that's not true: daylight's old (pre-tactics-forum) approach had already earned him back to back promotions. After making his thread he kept winning. No turning around. Whether he would have been less successful with his old approach is conjecture.

Regardless of the nit picking above. Do read the tactics forum people. (Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt)

Don't want to create new thread, so ill ask it here..

Is it normal that my players pace (nothing else) dropped from 15 to 12 in one day after injury (strained knee ligaments for few weeks)? Playing FM for 10 years and never seen this happen..

Not sure, but injuries in this game wreck players completely

I think SI have had this long in hand.

From what I can tell, its not as simple as strikers excessively missing point-blank headers, which does happen a lot.

The problem is that full-backs are underpowered at stopping wingers, so wingers are getting more good crosses in than they might do IRL. Hence, the ME is set to compensate by lowering the goals from point-blank headers conversion rate. If it didn't do this then there would be too many goals.

If they can fix the full-back problem we'll see less of those easy headers, then when they do happen they'll hit the back of the net more often.

I strongly suspect that by the next patch, this will have been sorted. :)

IMO, it's not just point-blank headers but high-attribute attackers in general have a lot more trouble finishing than they should. I'll check my stats when I get home but I think most of my attackers (Ibrahimovic, Cavani, Lavezzi) have shot conversion rates around 4-5% whereas IRL good strikers are around 8-10% and top strikers can get up to 20%.

Also, I'm not sure I've EVER seen a striker score from a 1-on-1 in FM14. They can't seem to pick the right shot and either put it wide or right into the oncoming keeper's chest.

Hopefully this will improve after the impending patch. Improved shot selection will go a long way.

What is the most goals someone has got out of a single player in FM14 so far?

I feel like Messi is being limited somehow so that his stats arent 3x higher than anyone else. How often does he miss 50% of his penalties? How often does he miss the target from 12 yards out?

THIS and the corner bug, is by far my biggest issue with this years game. Possibly due to the bad defending, it seems like stats like finishing and composure has close to no influence at all. Earlier in this thread someone posted a screenshot of a topscorer CB playing in a striker role. No finishing and composure, just good physical ability, which really backs up my point. Also take a look at your topscorer tables and you will mostly see that there is no link between finishing, composure and goals, strikers generelly seem to score at the pretty much same conversion rate. Here is what I have tried myself:

1. I have tried numerous tactics, self-made and downloaded ones with my all-time favourite poacher role, a finisher of finishers role, but I just cant get it work as intended. The conversion rate is simply too poor no matter the quality of the poacher. I decided to check my FM13 saves and as I suspected, this year poachers need up-to twice as many chances to score in generel. And with the poacher being a almost-goalscorer-only-role, the role is simply not worthwhile, seeing that other roles contribute to more aspects of the play.

2. On my long term AC Milan save I tried switching between Balotelli (Great finishing and composure) and Volland (Rather poor at both) in a striker role supposed to be best suited for Balotelli (CF - Support) and to my surprise Volland scored more goals at a slightly better conversion rate and with NINE of Balotelli's goals, being from penalties. Meaning that Volland actually outscored Balotelli completely. I did this for an entire season and I won the CL that year btw. but I guess that theoretically you could always blame my tactics.

3. Please dont get me wrong. Its not the games difficulity, but simply how the game plays out thats my gameruining issue. Bad defending -> too many chances -> poor finishing. Seeing those FB's and CB's for that matter, running around like clueless chickens, following worldbeating strikers shooting the ball directly into the keepers hands in 1v1's and sitter situations time and time again, is simply too much for me to handle.

You can argue that the game is as balanced as it can be, but simply just not in a realistic way. And before you say anything, im happy for the people who made tactics they feel giving them are more realistic gameplay. I got no trouble making tactics that give me results, but they are just not playing out the way I want. I guess thats a subjective opinion, but I know im not the only one having it.

I really hope that this is also something on SI's attention for the coming update, else im afraid, the game experience wont last as long for me.

Technically that's not true: daylight's old (pre-tactics-forum) approach had already earned him back to back promotions. After making his thread he kept winning. No turning around. Whether he would have been less successful with his old approach is conjecture.

Regardless of the nit picking above. Do read the tactics forum people. (Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt)

Daylight himself says he wouldn't have been as successful. So your point really doesn't hold up.

A rat born in a stable is not a horse :) You can call it whatever you want, its still a patch :)

From Wikipedia..

"A patch is a piece of software designed to fix problems with, or update a computer program or its supporting data. This includes fixing security vulnerabilities and other bugs, and improving the usability or performance. Though meant to fix problems, poorly designed patches can sometimes introduce new problems (see software regressions). In some special cases updates may knowingly break the functionality, for instance, by removing components for which the update provider is no longer licensed or disabling a device.

Patch management is the process of using a strategy and plan of what patches should be applied to which systems at a specified time."

So it is "a patch" but its purpose is to "update".

What a patch does:

"a piece of cloth or other material used to mend or strengthen a torn or weak point."

..... yeah if I was SI I would want to steer away from terms like "torn" and "weak" too!

Of course, Wikipedia could be less than 100% correct.

By the way I had a terrible dream last night that Forum pressure forced SI to release a bugged "patch" just before Christmas which made the game practically unplayable all over the Christmas holidays - that couldnt happen......., could it ? ;-)

By the way I had a terrible dream last night that Forum pressure forced SI to release a bugged "patch" just before Christmas which made the game practically unplayable all over the Christmas holidays - that couldnt happen......., could it ? ;-)

Ha. That was close to being the worst version of the ME ever and FM13 never fully recovered from it. The version before (13.1.3) was no doubt the best in that game (yes, better than the final one) even though the shot counts were too low. It's obviously good that they've learned from it.

As Daylight is unable to predict the future, he himself couldn't have known he would be unsuccessful. So your point really doesn't hold up.

What we do know though is that Daylight was unhappy with the performance of his team and was looking for ways to improve it.

Through learning more about his old tactic he has identified the areas he was unhappy with and learned how to adjust it to match the way he wants them to play.

Well I think we should all take posts that have thought in them seriously, as you clearly did in replying to mine. As I am now yours. :)

As for the "in-house" comment - I'm not going to comment further. That is for you and also the community here to reflect on.

I'm really proud to be the acknowledged author of a FM conspiracy theory, but I have to bring things back to rationality.

If you think I was doing anything other than poking people lightly with a blunt stick you seriously need to get a life :D

Also to those quoting Wikipedia definitions, they aren't an authority, I can go into Wiki and change that definition to say anything I want it to (if I actually gave a toss:p)

Don't want to create new thread, so ill ask it here..

Is it normal that my players pace (nothing else) dropped from 15 to 12 in one day after injury (strained knee ligaments for few weeks)? Playing FM for 10 years and never seen this happen..

I've seen it quite often and I'd say it's realistic in as far as number scales can portray it, in fact if you want to be pedantic it should drop to virtually nothing if he's on crutches:)

I don't know if that's any indication of how fully he'll recover though, remember many, many players never do get back the pace they once had after ligament damage.

As Daylight is unable to predict the future, he himself couldn't have known he would be unsuccessful. So your point really doesn't hold up.

Pretty much what Ackter says..

He wouldn't have been. His tactic would have fallen apart against teams better able to counter him. It was leaving massive spaces all over the pitch for them to exploit.

There were quite a few games last season where I know I would have gotten slaughtered with my old tactic.

Through taking what the guys told me and willing to change things, even mid game I see myself changing a lot of things now where as before I would not have.

The last game of the season for example at 0-0 at half time I had a lot of the ball and quite a few shots at goal but I was not opening them up, I thought about where the spaces would be and changed my instructions to 'pass into space' and 'work the ball into the box', the space was in behind the defence and in the first half I was not exploiting that, the second half we did and I won 3-1.

Just the couple of (crudely drawn :p) pictures from Ackter in the tactics forum got me thinking more about the space and how teams would look when they did not have the ball.

I can say 100% I would not have finished 3rd using my old tactic, I am also sure that 2-0 win I snatched at Bayern would have been a 5 or 6 nil loss.

So, wasn't supposed that the patch was going to be this week(the week that has already passed)? Is there any news?

No, the update will be out when it is fully tested and ready for release. They may have hoped for earlier, but it is not yet ready. No news beyond that.

Archived