Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

You should take a look at last years' feedback threads, then you'd see far more negativity.

To imply that SI don't work hard at the game is an insult, try and show more respect instead of firing off the cuff remarks about.

ok sorry! lol didnt mean to hurt your feelings.. its not like SI care what I (individually have to say) they wont change anything dont worry.. in theory a game should have 1 or 2 patches throughout its whole life i.e. 1 year instead there are 9 to 10 patches.. is that normal? and the errors like: too many shots... low match ratings.. low transfer bids thats all normal isnt it? yeah thought so!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6) The most important part. Defending is actually much improved from 13. Team shape works looks much better, players position themselves much more intelligently, anticipate passes better and make the right movements to intercept. Where it all falls apart a bit at the moment is one on one player engagement. I said earlier that I fully support the shift towards more tactical defending less dependent on tackling and I still do. But it's never going to work well unless a way to win the ball from an opponent without tackling is introduced. When a defender has an attacker running at him the only way for him to win the ball right now is to tackle. They can't use their physique to muscle the opponent off the ball, they can't do much to guide them into a less dangerous space because they have no physical presence and they can't even block crosses or shots unless it's straight at them. The poor defenders are being completely overwhelmed and they simply have no tools to deal with it

That's certainly a big part of the problem. The other major issue that I'm seeing is that there seems to be this struggle going on with defensive players between doing their tactical job/holding their position etc and between just getting to the ball and clearing it. I'm seeing things like:

A ball out to an opposing winger where the fullback seems to drop right off (like he's moving towards his designated 'position') but then he suddenly realises that he should be closing his man down and runs back towards him, at which point it's too late, where as if he had just closed his man down straightaway he would have probably cut the pass out, or at least put enough pressure on the winger to prevent a cross.

A ball through to an opposing forward where 3 defenders all seem to stand off to form a circle around 10 yards away from the player allowing him the freedom to shoot or pass. Where as at other times all 3 seem to close him down at the same time, meaning if he does get a pass off, it inevitably goes to an unmarked attacker for an easy chance.

A corner is played back out to the corner taker and no one closes him down as they're all still marking their designated players, giving him an easy chance to cross or dribble into the box.

There's plenty more cases, but it all boils down to making the wrong choice between holding position and just doing the simple defensive thing. I'm aware that this is going to be difficult to get working, as you can't just have everyone chasing after the ball like 10 year olds, but there needs to be some work done here.

Guys, the transfers suck.......!!!

Liverpool have just offered 325K for Fabianski (i'm Arsenal) he's worth 2 mill

I counter offer by saying, 1.6 mill (He's not on transfer list)

They come back with £725K but the best bit is £36k over 12 months?????? (yeah that will do it...)

Selling players has been like this for a few versions now, it's the same old pay a fortune for who we want and get nothing for our players? needs a tweak SI no?

My cursor keeps disappearing in game. It's irregular but happening more and more often.

It seems to happen most of all when I close the steam overlay. Is there a fix for this? It's frustrating to have to keep restarting.

Just curious.. do you have cursor trails on? That might be affecting it.

in theory a game should have 1 or 2 patches throughout its whole life i.e. 1 year instead there are 9 to 10 patches.. is that normal?

Your theory is somewhat out of touch, pre Steam all updates were consolidated into 2 or 3 patches due to the complexity of patching, Steam allows updating virtually on the fly so the number of fixes isn't really any different.

Guys, the transfers suck.......!!!

Liverpool have just offered 325K for Fabianski (i'm Arsenal) he's worth 2 mill

I counter offer by saying, 1.6 mill (He's not on transfer list)

They come back with £725K but the best bit is £36k over 12 months?????? (yeah that will do it...)

Selling players has been like this for a few versions now, it's the same old pay a fortune for who we want and get nothing for our players? needs a tweak SI no?

That's rather old news now, you could add your example to those in the bugs forum though.

Having won the league I thought I’d do some experimenting with tactics, so with a couple plucked off the FM base site, I played a game with each, both ended in draws (that’s now 7 of my last 9 games that have been drawn) but what a difference between the two.

Zero Sea's Rage 100

A 3-4-3 tactic

Score Luton 1- Mansfield 1

The ME played this really realistically I thought, 14 shots – 10 shots, 47 % - 53% possession, excellent defending, it just looked like a real match between the 1st and 3rd placed teams and I have no quibble with it.

Under pressure tactic

A 4-2-4 tactic

Score Luton 2 - Hartlepool 2

19 shots – 5 shots, possession 61% - 39%, 1CCC and 4 HCs against 1CCC and 1 HC, obviously an effective attacking tactic.

According to the team talk news item this game in fact finished 2-2-2, maybe the ref had a good game and scored a couple for the officials, it’s a mystery? This match unlike the other didn’t resemble real football, now of course playing this kind of formation can leave you vulnerable in the middle of the park and to the counter attack and I doubt I would try to start with it against another top team but Hartlepool are 21st so it should have been a reasonable tactic to try and maybe score a few. Now in real life, my possession, the amount of shots, my pass completion 86% to 60%, would lead me to believe that I would have won this game by a handsome margin nine times out of ten, but alas it was not to be. Unfortunately this was not a one in ten match because the ME throws these results up time and time again, In my last 9 games I have dominated the possession, the shots, passing, tackling, crossing every aspect of play except the ball in the back of the net, won two drawn seven and one of those was a 1-0. What I do find curious is that these kinds of results never seem to happen to me the other way round, only 39% possession, only 5 shots but I still get a draw, not a chance.

ok sorry! lol didnt mean to hurt your feelings.. its not like SI care what I (individually have to say) they wont change anything dont worry.. in theory a game should have 1 or 2 patches throughout its whole life i.e. 1 year instead there are 9 to 10 patches.. is that normal?

Most games aren't nearly as complex as the fm games. It would be an illusion, thinking that it could be as easily fixed as simpler games.

The average ratings in FM2014 is very low... i am at postion 1. in serie a with Fiorentina after 30 games... and i don´t have many players with an average above 7.00? I liked the higher average ratings in FM2013:-) and hope they will make an update to change this.

Guest El Payaso

What do people think about AI teams holding on to their current players? After the first season I was able to keep hold of every player that I wanted with Boston United. But in the summer there where huge amount of good players (for team of my calibre) without contract. If I wanted, I would have been easily able to build a super team for Conference level of these free players. What do you think, is the AI giving us too much handicap for us in this matter?

I was able to keep hold of every player that I wanted with Boston United.

Lucky you. I lost my six best players after winning the league with Stirling Albion in Scotland. My top scorer, with 37 goals in all competitions, decided to sign for less money than I offered to go to Forfar - who were relegated from the league above, meaning he's going to be in a lower league than Stirling. I've had to rebuild almost an entire new team from scratch to just survive in a higher league. It's a challenge I suppose!

Guest El Payaso
Lucky you. I lost my six best players after winning the league with Stirling Albion in Scotland. My top scorer, with 37 goals in all competitions, decided to sign for less money than I offered to go to Forfar - who were relegated from the league above, meaning he's going to be in a lower league than Stirling. I've had to rebuild almost an entire new team from scratch to just survive in a higher league. It's a challenge I suppose!
Yes it's a bit odd as I've been reading a lot about this difficulty of keeping hold of players. I did let some of the players go as I was able to get better and younger for cheaper. My main complaint still is the amount of 5 star players I would have been able to sign if I wanted.

in theory a game should have 1 or 2 patches throughout its whole life i.e. 1 year instead there are 9 to 10 patches.. is that normal?!

Theory and practise are rarely the same.

How many patches has GTA V had so far?

Completely different game, massively different scale of development team, but another genre leading game that didn't launch without any issues.

I can't think of any large scale game that has launched without subsequent updates.

The average ratings in FM2014 is very low... i am at postion 1. in serie a with Fiorentina after 30 games... and i don´t have many players with an average above 7.00? I liked the higher average ratings in FM2013:-) and hope they will make an update to change this.

To lower the level of ratings in itself isn't a problem as long as every other aspect that gets indirectly influented such as morale also takes this into consideration, but that some positions seems to get the "blame" for everything or that it leads to a downward spiral isn't good at all. IMO it has been to easy earlier to get good ratings, especially for DM/DC's and goalscorers, but it just needs to be linked to the actual performance/stats of that player. I've been annoyed for many years that a penalty would like to a large increase in a players rating. You can still be crap and net a penalty, but I've never seen this in the game. I'm not sure how the player ratings are calculated, but if it's linked to the stats for each game, surely it can't be too hard to fix the issue and hopefully we'll be seeing results of this in the next patch.

Mmm.. Ok..Then how can you explain these woodwork and corner "bugs"? Are they a result of hard work?

Well I can tell you with absolute certainty that yes, they are the result of hard work. Very hard work most likely. I think it's one thing to have a criticism of the way the game works, but to imply that SI aren't working hard is totally unfair.

Completely different game, massively different scale of development team, but another genre leading game that didn't launch without any issues.

I can't think of any large scale game that has launched without subsequent updates.

I really don't feel GTA had real game spoiling issues that needed urgent fixes though.

Mmm.. Ok..Then how can you explain these woodwork and corner "bugs"? Are they a result of hard work?

Ask them how can they expalin making the best football management simulation series in the world of all time?

1. Almost half the world – over three billion people – live on less than $2.50 a day

2. According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die each day due to poverty.

3. Some 1.1 billion people in developing countries have inadequate access to water, and 2.6 billion lack basic sanitation.

http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

That's some staggering, sobering statistics there. I guess they don't get a feedback forum anytime soon to meltdown whine about their lot in life or their (or even our) latest new computer game. But we do. :D Lucky us. Who needs context when their problems are not ours and nor are ours theirs in at least they don't have to worry about their make believe full back going walk about or unrealistic transfer dealings on a computer game.

Even to choose to ignore that horrific real life and death background context some of the whining and melting down here is way OTT even within a spoilt rich bratty first world country and surely only gets in the way of genuine feedback on where the game could or needs to make it even better.

Let's get one thing straight, these threads differ little year on year and this year is not the worst by any stretch. If you don't believe me, search the forum. I've been in one or two in both camps as well shamed to say. Two camps of evangelical defenders no matter what and the "I've been playing this version for years, but this year enough is enough" brigade. Throw in a few car analogies and you're there, let's face it car manufacturers wouldn't dare deliver off the production line an incomplete car (except they do). We need more car analogies, not infractions for them! :D

Some of the ways people speak to mod/SI, who are here 24/7 throughout the night especially post release trying to help is not just rude and discourteous but smacks of at a keyboard bravado saying things they'd probably never if they were invited in to have a look around at their offices. Or maybe they're just ignorant (like me sometimes) and would do just that. Either way, it helps nobody, everyone just ends up peed off and angry when we all want the same thing; the best FM it can be. Nobody can argue with that, conspiracy nuts aside.

And one of the biggest shameful posts in this thread is the one from some SI guy saying that many of their staff don't come here because it wears them down. I don't blame them, but who loses most on that? We do. How many companies you buy goods from do you get an inside line to chat to about the product from the guys actually making it? Not many. What a wasted opportunity for all of us. Those that do come from SI and the mods have my respect, in their shoes I'd invite you up to go 15 rounds WWF across the desks interlaced with rants of "if you don't like us, **** off and make your own game". I don't think I'd make a very good business owner.

I get the outrage over activation issues in the Far East etc, those boys have a right to be mega peed off, Sega won't care, but for the rest of us, as frustrating the game might be, it's only a game. It will improve. And think of the hrs per $/£ or Euro you've had from it. That's never bad VFM in anyone's book especially if as many whiners have played as many versions as some claim.

And I don't know your salaries, but if you can honestly say on the say £10k - £30k you charge your employer every year you give equal value for money on £ per hour pleasure or necessary contribution to as many lives as SI do in their work output then fair play to you. I don't and never have.

But if that's all too much, three tips to help you taking a step back from melting down (they've worked for me :) ).

1. Remember that statistic at the top of my post. Your problems with you full backs ARE NOT problems.

2. Make your own game, see how you do, make it as perfect as you demand.

3. Next year buy the game in February (because next year will be no different....Jibby promise :) ), it's polished by then and cheaper. Win/Win.

Ignore those three all you like, but really, really don't come whining. It's your choice.

SI as a company have given me the best Value for Money product I've ever bought and I know how lucky I am to be in a position to enjoy what they offer, too many are not. That's all that matters.

I'd rather have plenty of patches throughout the game, instead of having to wait a long time for one or two major ones to be launched. Also, the latter option would also leads to bigger problems if it has been "tweaked" too much. That said, the level of errors in the release version of the games the last years have been way too high. In my opinion this is a result of the game now using more time on looking good rather than being realistic, which leads it closer and closer to any FIFA-hybrid. I can live with the same ME being used in many releases in a row, if it's just tweaked as close to realistic as possible. I do not need 100 new features every year or an even cooler looking 3d-simulation, as I'm buying Football Manager for the realism.

The fact that they stop patching the game halfway through its "life cycle" is more annoying. I understand that they need to focus on next years game, but given the history of the last releases, one thing should exclude the other. I'm one of those wondering if I should play one of the games for 1,5 years and then start chagning games after each january patch instead. That way you get the game at half price with less errors (which obviously creates more value) but uses the game for the same period. Unfortunately this far, I've been way too impatient for this :) However the likelyhood of me dropping one of the games soon (I have all of the games both in teh CM/FM series) increases every year, and I don't think I'm alone unfortunately.

Low but balanced ratings would be fine if it didn't lead to a downward spiral of morale and form. Part of why this version is more difficult than others is the trickiness of keeping a team's mental health in the green, which affects how fluidly and confidently they perform your tactics.

It doesn't help that there are seemingly fewer ways than before to keep morale up (e.g. criticizing training form across the board, or having just about any player interaction be 'successful', which you could cheerfully abuse in FM13). I'm glad of that, because those things were unrealistic, but their absence makes it even harder to maintain your players' happiness as it stands.

For how many YEARS they were making GTA V though?

Maybe there's a moral to the story there.

Although I think the where number of FM games made counteracts that argument somewhat.

Clearly you didn't play GTA online

Nope, never. Might do now though I've finished it.

the ' player confidence / rating screen ' with information about the body language etc.. when playing a match is still swaping between my team and the other team every week ? This is something annoying, i have to change this every game.

SI as a company have given me the best Value for Money product I've ever bought and I know how lucky I am to be in a position to enjoy what they offer, too many are not. That's all that matters.

Here here, sir. Not just for the quoted conclusion, but for the whole post, which I didn't want to quote in its entirety, because it's annoying when people quote huge posts just to add a sentence...

The thing getting on y nerves the mot is the fact that i can't honestly tell whether I'm getting screwed over by my tactics or the ME.

What you have to realise is that the 3D match engine is purely a visual simulation of a game that's already been played. If you pick the right tactics, and make the right subs/changes in game, then your chances of winning will be increased, regardless of how animations of little pixellated stick men might look on screen.

Play a few games commentary only and try to react to how the game is going. See if that makes a difference.

I'd really appreciate (and I'm sure not just me) if SI UI designers/programmers would add a 'copy preset' button to the screen where you can assign roles and duties to specific players in specific positions. For now, I have 2 CM (4-3-3) and I have to add identical players and identical instructions for both central midfielders. I'd like to be able to set up one CM and have a 'use the same instructions' on another.

Honestly I think the game is fantastic improvement, however the only thing that truly needs work other than a few bugs is the rating system. The problems it creates are deep and long term. First you buy a player for a certain amount and he performs like he probably should but the rating system has him at an average for 10 games at 6.6!! Not going to keep your value at that level. the values go down precipitously as your ratings. That over time creates an escalating effect on your teams value and so on. But at the same time im sure SI knows this and will improve it. It appears they all start in the mid to high 6 range at the start of the game which could be part of the problem. The other problem is during the pitch the players arent playing like they should....especially defenders and fbs. Anyway there are some rating and a few ME fixes and I think they have a splendid game. thank you

Someone clearly has no understanding whatsoever about how a game works/is made.

And someone clearly has no idea about how people earn money in different places of world. Everyone paying for playing a good game not for same bugs every year. At least we can criticise what we paid for. But SI have no perseverance for being criticised.

Might as well shut this thread, you're either getting absolutely mental posts like Jibby's or Dagenham Dave going around moaning at anyone for having the slightest bit of criticism.

Posts like yours do not help at all either.

We're pretty clear on what we're looking for, and there is still some very useful stuff coming in

Might as well shut this thread, you're either getting absolutely mental posts like Jibby's or Dagenham Dave going around moaning at anyone for having the slightest bit of criticism.

As I said earlier this is not so much the "feedback thread" it is more like the "keep all the lunatics in one thread so the forum does not look like a bombsite thread".

Archived