Sports Interactive Community
Michael F

Editors Hideaway Rules & FAQ's - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Editors Hideaway Forum Rules

• Please use the search function before posting
  • Please ensure your thread title is as descriptive as possible preferably including the version of the game (FM13, FM14 e.t.c)
  • Please post in English

• Please do not post in all capital letters or all bold font.
  • Please do not post in text speak

• Do not re-release other people's work without their permission with or without your own edits as your thread will be deleted and an infraction being handed out.
  • Do not request donations to be able to download your work or to receive an early copy of your work, your thread will be deleted and infractions being handed out.
  • Do not swear or be abusive, anyone who is overly abusive or uses excessive foul language will be infracted, please try to be constructive when giving feedback.
  • If a thread is closed please do not start a new one asking why, send the person who closed your thread a private message to discuss the reasons.
  • 3rd party tools such as real time editors and scouts that are not supported by Sports Interactive cannot be discussed here and will be closed.
  • Please test your files in-game first before asking for help
  • Moderators reserve the right to close, delete or edit threads and also hand out warnings, infractions or bans if they decide you have broken the house rules.
  • We encourage the use of the report post button (triangle on bottom left under the users name) if you feel a post is unacceptable.

If you have any questions please feel free to send metal_guitarist a private message.

Editors Hideaway Frequently Asked Questions

How do I download the editor for Football Manager through Steam?

You need to download it separately through Steam. It can be found in the Tools section within Steam. To get to it do the following;

Open Steam -> Library -> All Games -> Tools -> Football Manager Editor. And then Install”.

The initial run may require to install direct X files.

Where Can I find the Editor?

If installed using steam the editor can be found: C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 20xx\Tools\

If installed on Mac it can be found: /Users/*YOURUSERNAME*/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/football manager 20xx/tools/

What are the Minimum Specs for the Football Manager Official Editor?

Sports Interactive recommend at least 2GB Ram or more for optimal performance, however due to the amount of data stored in the editor you may experience poor or slow performance.

Can I download files from other users to use in Football Manager?

Yes, you can download other users .dbc files they have created and load them into your game by putting them in the editor data folder.

How do I load my file into my game inside FM?

When clicking 'New Game' inside FM, you will get a dialog box appear called Choose Database. Notice in this box it will have section saying Editor Data Files and a 'Change' tick button. Clicking this button will allow you to select which of your files to load into your game.

Where Should I save files to?

Whether you have created the files yourself or downloaded them they need to be placed in the following locations for them to be loaded into the game.

PC – Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 20xx > editor data

MAC – Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 20xx > editor data

Remember when saving files you have created yourself always use the File > Save As within the editor

Where can I find the editor data folder

PC– Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 20xx > editor data

MAC – Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2012 > editor data

I have created a player with a Current Ability (CA) of 200 and gave him all 20 attributes, why has this not worked in the game?

This is due to the weighting of the attributes, some of them have more weighting (e.g physical) take up more points than others (technical & mental). To make a player as effective as possible, give higher attributes to key areas depending on the players position e.g. a striker will need higher finishing, first touch, technique & composure but could have low Free Kicks, Throw Ins, Corners & Marking.

What are the boundaries for minus potential?

They are as follows:-

10 = 170-200

-95 = 160-190

-9 = 150-180

-85 = 140-170

-8 = 130-160

-75 = 120-150

-7 = 110-140

-65 = 100-130

-6 = 90-120

-55 = 80-110

-5 = 70-100

-45 = 60-90

-4 = 50-80

-35 = 40-70

-3 = 30-60

-25 = 20-50

-2 = 10-40

-15 = 0-30

-1 = 0-20

Why is the German National team greyed out?

This is due to licensing issues as Sports Interactive don't hold the required licence to be able to use players from that nation in the national team. Due to licencing issues this can't be discussed on the Sports Interactive forums so please do not ask about this as the thread will be closed.

Can I edit international or continental competitions?

Yes, you can re-create competitions (see advanced FAQ below)

Can I edit the amount of prize money a club gets in the editor?

Yes you can but it would involve having to recreate the entire nations league structure and adding in the prize money you want.

Can I remove or add point deductions to clubs?

Yes you can but it would involve having to recreate the league structure and adding in the points deduction.

Where can I find how to create a new nation rules or how to add leagues to existing leagues?

Videos of how to create these can be found at http://www.footballmanager.com/index.php?p=videos

For creating new nation rules view –

For adding new levels to existing leagues view - Football Manager Data Editor –

I have created a custom file but it is not appearing in game?

Firstly make sure you have saved the file to the editor data file. If this is correct, you should try the following.

If the file is definitely saved, you should delete your cache and then remove the config.xml file from the editor data folder.

Windows XP:

1. Click "Start" then click "Run"

2. Type the following into the run box and press "Enter": %appdata%

3. Go into the "Sports Interactive" Folder.

4. Go to the "Football Manager 2014" Folder.

5. Delete the "Cache" Folder found inside here.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Click "Start"

2. Within the "Search Programs and Files" box, paste the following then press "Enter": %localappdata%/sports interactive/football manager 20xx

3. Delete "Cache" folder

Windows 8/8.1/10

1. Click the "Desktop" tile

2. Launch an Explorer window (a folder for example or just press the windows key + the letter "E" at the same time)

3. In the address bar at the top copy and paste the following then press "Enter": %localappdata%/sports interactive/football manager 20xx

4. Delete the "Cache" folder

Can I load multiple files into the game and how do I do this?

Yes, you can load several different .dbc files into a new game, however some files can prevent other from working if you have made many changes to leagues and structures.

You cannot merge files where league rules have been edited in both files. Merging is also really intended as a Power User feature, in some respects, and should be avoided where possible - if necessary, you can merge 'person' changes into a league-edited file, for example.

In this example, there is no need to merge the files, as multiple .dbc files can be loaded into the game and be run side-by-side (see below). Any custom ID numbers will be re-assigned upon creation of a new game.

I have created multiple .dbc files but I get errors when loading them into Football Manager

If you have multiple .dbc files created some of the changes you have made may affect another .dbc files.

Example:

Removing a side from the MLS and moving them into an English league in one file & having a new USA league with new structure using same teams. The second ,dbc would not work if loaded together as the MLS side from the first .dbc will have been moved and the USA league will not recognise correct number of teams.

I've loaded multiple editor files into FM, and the game re-assigns the custom team/player ID numbers each time. How can I get my custom graphics (e.g. facepacks) to work?

As the IDs of created players will change all the time you need to set up the custom graphic config file differently to not use IDs.

For example:

record from="angha" to="graphics/pictures/person/martin angha 22-1/portrait"/>

This sets the file angha.png to the player Martin Angha who is born on 22/1 (you don't need to put the year).

How can I set up regional divisions?

A good example of how this works is the English National League North and South, so check that out! In this case, there are actually three divisions entered into the database - the NL North, NL South and a special third one called something like 'National League Regional Divisions' which does not have any teams entered. When you add this last one in, you can specify the divisions that are in this level.

For a promoted/relegated club to be placed into the 'correct' division within a level, there are two methods; it's advisable to use both! For this, each club should therefore have two pieces of info added:

1. a stadium, located in a city which has longitude and latitude values set. Each individual league can then have geographical boundaries set - i.e. a box, where up to 4 cities (also with set longitude and latitude values) define the limits of the box. It's not always necessary to set all four cities - if a region has one boundary against the sea, for example, then this entry may be best left blank.

2. regional competition settings. If you navigate to each club, you will set a competition tab, and within this each club has a tab for setting regional divisions. Add a Level box (e.g. '6' in the National League Regional example), and enter the appropriate division the club should go into at that level (e.g. National League North or South). Repeat as necessary for all levels and all clubs.

Without setting 2, clubs at a level will be reshuffled each season. Without setting 1, clubs won't have a reasonable fallback position should their chosen division be over-subscribed.

It takes time, but the results can really be worth the investment.

Accessing The Advanced Rules (using adding the 5+6 system as an example - thanks to sporadicsmiles)

Firstly, you will need to add nation rules, select the nation you want (for example England), and select the option 'add lower divisions and cups to existing structure'. Next, you need to switch to advanced rules. You do this by going to the Rules menu and selection 'Convert to advanced rules.'

Now this will give you a heck of a lot of things under the Advanced Rules panel, but there is only one thing that is of interest to you, so we can ignore almost everything. What is important is the tab called 'England' (or whatever nation you select). If you click on the '+' next to the nation this will bring up a new list full of options. You will be interested in 'Fixture Rules', which again will have a '+' next to it. If we click on this +, we will be able to see all the different rule groups that are used in England. There will typically be one for every competition which has different rules. In the case of England there are 21 different rule groups.

What we need to do first is find which rule group we need to change! This is easy to do. If you select the competition you want to edit on the lower left hand list, you will see a series of options appear. Clicking on the 'Competition' tab will bring up basic information about this competition. If you scroll down the main panel until you see the 'Fixture Rules Index' tab (which is just under the 'Date Range' box. This tells you the number of the rule group this competition uses. In the case of the premier league it is 6. We can now edit the correct set of rules without changing anything else.

Going back to the fixture rules tab, we can select 'Rules 6', which tells us all of the information about the squad selection rules for the premier league. You will see that they are the ones you are familiar with in game. There are several options here, and you can explore the rest if you want, but for your 6+5 idea you want to go to the 'Squad Selection Rules' box at the very bottom of the main panel. There are already 2 options in here, about squad size and number of homegrown players. If you click 'add' you will create a new rule. Selecting the box on the left hand side, you get a menu to select what rules you want. You want to select 'first 11 rules -> foreign players in first 11'. You can then select 5 in the 'value' box, and make sure the criterion is 'less than'. You have changed the rules!

Because you have used the advanced rules, after you save you must verify that your file is okay. This is not hard, but can take 5-10 minutes. Save the file, and then from the Rules manu, select 'Test Rules' and then 'All'. This will run a simulation to ensure nothing crashes and everything works. After this, you should be able to use the file. Repeat as required for whichever league you want.

View Advanced Rules For Continental Competitions - thanks to kingrobbo

'If you want to see the advanced rules to e.g. Champions League/World Cup etc just give it a playable nation.

Go to add lower leagues to that nation then convert it to advanced rules and you will see Champions League rules in the list. This can be done for any continental comp.

PLEASE NOTE you do not get the same details for international comps you do with continental ones

Excel and the FM Editor - magicmastermind124

I will preface this post by stating that SI generally do not support files that have content created outside of the FM Editor, including Excel.

I've used Excel with FM over the past year to help with big projects when it comes to importing a massive amount of data. It can rapidly reduce the amount of time you would otherwise spend in the Editor making the changes manually, and as long as you create the file separately from your main project, and test it in game to ensure that it works, you should find that it works flawlessly.  This includes changes to the database for items like histories etc.

One example of this is when setting up Fixtures in the editor - this can take a long time and when you have a few leagues you want to do, this can become monotonous (I have probably done a 100 of these over the past few years, and I did all fixtures not included in game for last years EEE release, minus 3 L9 leagues that still announce their fixtures monthly, in other words, the EPL, L7, L8 and 11 L9 leagues - 21 in total for one season while SI had the EFL and ENL covered with 7 leagues). Using excel text formulas you can manipulate the data in released fixture files and tabulate all the necessary details, such as the date, the home team and away team, and the time for the fixture.

As an example, here is one original fixture announced for the EPL this year:

13/08/2016      15:00   Arsenal v Liverpool

This is how the fixture is formatted by the FA in their original announcement here.

The way I tabulated this data was first of all to separate the date, which could then be separated into the day of the week, the day of the month, the month and the year.  The formula I used was "=LEFT(A2,10)" to retrieve the information for the date.  I could then obtain all the other data by using formulas such as "=LOWER(TEXT(B2,"ddd"))" for the day of the week, "=DAY(B2)" for the day of the month, "=LOWER(TEXT(B2,"mmm"))" for the name of the month and "=YEAR(B2)" for the year.  Similar formulas are done for the rest.

The trickiest part here is getting the data for the teams separated so that you can find the team Unique ID.  The formula "=MID(A2,25,100)" separated the teams from the original data, at which point you can then use formulas to get the home and away team.  The " v " is the key part here, as you can use this as the dividing line to separate the data in formulas.  I retrieved the home team using "=LEFT(D2,SUM(SEARCH(" v ",D2,1))-1)" and the away team using "=RIGHT(D2,SUM(LEN(D2)-SEARCH(" v ",D2,1))-2)".  A separate sheet should be setup with the Unique ID's and the names of the clubs in question - not too hard to get from the Editor and not too time consuming.  From here, you can use a VLOOKUP function to get the ID's of the clubs. I used this formula: "=VLOOKUP(J2,[ENG.xlsx]ENG!$A:$B,2,FALSE)", just a simple VLOOKUP to another spreadsheet which has the club name in the first tab and the ID in the second.

So my end result is the following:

DATE

TIME

MATCH

Day 

Date

Nmonth

Year

Time

Home Team

Away Team

Home Team ID

Away Team ID

13/08/2016      15:00   A.F.C. Bournemouth v Manchester United

13/08/2016

15:00

A.F.C. Bournemouth v Manchester United

sat

aug

A.F.C. Bournemouth

Manchester United

13/08/2016      15:00   Arsenal v Liverpool

13/08/2016

Arsenal v Liverpool

sat

aug

Arsenal

Liverpool

13/08/2016      15:00   Burnley v Swansea City

13/08/2016 

Burnley v Swansea City

sat

aug

Burnley

Swansea City

etc.

So, with this data I can now set up the xml data for the fixtures.  Having exported a copy of the Advanced Rules file for England into an xml, I was able to ascertain which data I would need and inputted each xml line into a tab on the first row, and removed the data which would require altering.

<record>

<integer id="fixture_order" value="0"/>

<string id="day_of_week" value=""/>

<integer id="day_of_month" value=""/>

<string id="month" value=""/>

<integer id="year" value=""/>

<string id="time" value=""/>

<record id="home_team_id">

<integer id="id" value="1752003689"/>

<integer id="Ttea" value=""/>

</record>

<record id="away_team_id">

<integer id="id" value="1635218537"/>

<integer id="Ttea" value=""/>

</record>

</record>

These were the first row tabs.  As an example, the first cell that would need changing is '<string id="day_of_week" value=""/>'. Using a formula you can change this to find the day of the week easily from the previous worksheet. I used "=CONCATENATE(LEFT(C1,32),fixtures!E2,RIGHT(C1,3))", and similar ones for the rest.  As for the cells that didn't need extra data, it was  a case of equalling the first cell (e.g. "=B$1").

Once this was done, you could drag the formula all the way down to get the fixtures.  I've attached the file to this so you can check out the exact worksheet I used so you can create your own.

Lastly, you can use the xml data and paste it into an FM XML file. I just found the EFL fixtures, pasted that into the EPL file and overwrote the main fixtures part with the one from the worksheet.  I've attached that file too so you can see the EPL Fixtures in the editor.

So why go through all this, it seems like a lot of work from what I've written?  If you've had to do this before, you'll know how long inputting fixtures into FM can take.  This has taken me from 09:21 when I saved the original fixture list, to 10:04 when I saved the FM XML file with the fixtures formatted. A total of 43 minutes for 380 fixtures. And once you've done this only once, it becomes quicker the second time, and you can use this as a basis to edit other things like records and histories into the game.  You could even use it to add players, although I have not done it.  You just need to add a few records into the same and save the file as an xml to check the data and how it is formatted.  Then you can identify what you need and implement a worksheet with Excel for what you need.

I'm hoping to bring out more content like this in the future, please let me know if you found this useful or interesting! And please feel free to ask questions if you think I have missed something or if you think there is another way the work can be improved.

57b8286ddf3d6_EPLFixturesWorkbook.xlsx

57b828783a2ce_EPLFixtures.xml

On 10/30/2013 at 16:41, Michael F said:

View Advanced Rules For Continental Competitions - thanks to kingrobbo

'If you want to see the advanced rules to e.g. Champions League/World Cup etc just give it a playable nation.

Go to add lower leagues to that nation then convert it to advanced rules and you will see Champions League rules in the list. This can be done for any continental comp.

PLEASE NOTE you do not get the same details for international comps you do with continental ones

Where do I see this? For the life of me I am sure it is not on the list in the advanced rules...?

On 8/16/2017 at 10:28, lukejones2 said:

Where do I see this? For the life of me I am sure it is not on the list in the advanced rules...?

its there if you set the UCL to that nation

On 30/10/2013 at 20:41, Michael F said:

I've loaded multiple editor files into FM, and the game re-assigns the custom team/player ID numbers each time. How can I get my custom graphics (e.g. facepacks) to work?

As the IDs of created players will change all the time you need to set up the custom graphic config file differently to not use IDs.

For example:

record from="angha" to="graphics/pictures/person/martin angha 22-1/portrait"/>

This sets the file angha.png to the player Martin Angha who is born on 22/1 (you don't need to put the year).

Could this be expanded on please.

What if i'm using one of the many facepacks out there and some of the people i have created have UID's and some have randomly generated one's. How would i incorporate these into  the facepack i've downloaded? do i have two config files or do i tag my creations script on to the end of the config file for the downloaded facepack?

Many thanks in advance

Posted (edited)

How to Access Advanced Rules

Open the editor  load the DB

go to Rules

Add nations Rules

select the country you want here it is Belgium

select add lower divisions and finish

NB now if you are going to add any real fixtures to a comp now is the time to do it while still in basic rules

760935efea0fc99760240c032f504bdb.png

df0505523b44909985eda0e826172a37.png

now to get to the advanced rules back up to rules and select Convert to advanced

1cacc1d8c8e15df729337a370e9d89c0.png

you then get the full comprehensive rules for that nation

80e72075010674a9abd61fd85f4f0f39.png

see recent posts here from some users still confused how to do this and some not even aware the advanced rules exist,thinking they have to recreate the whole league structures from scratch, hope this helps

Edited by Roy Race 9

since you can add/deduct points in basic rules (even in existing leagues) you can remove this line 

Can I remove or add point deductions to clubs?

Yes you can but it would involve having to recreate the league structure and adding in the points deduction.