Is Winning a European trophy with an Eastern European Club Possible?

So that is the question really. Is winning an European trophy with a small Eastern European club possible.

I know it is possible with a small club from England, Spain or Italy because the riches on offer by winning their leagues opens up a host of expensive signings.

But these riches are not on offer with Eastern European clubs.

So if anyone has achieved it please let us know plus some of the details.

Yes it is I have done it in Wales, NI, Scotland and Sweden its all about knowing your tactics and the right sort of player as well as being able to keep in touch with your finances. I mean at this point in time I wouldn't attempt to do it in FM14 not used to the tactics or features.

Once you know the tactics the right player and how to make a profit it all falls nicely in to place you can focus on dominating your league which is a constant flow of revenue it also adds reputation more rep means better young players better young players mean eventually better team and when you sell them you can make more money then all the teams in the league can make in a season.

The quickest I have done is 5 seasons but that was exceptional by all means I tried again and I didnt do it for 20 seasons as I wasn't getting the right player (my tactics change for nobody)

Done it with IFK Goteborg in Sweden so its definitely possible in leagues such as Belarus, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria etc. A lot harder with teams from Estonia, Latvia etc but still possible over the long term. Unfortunately playing in these leagues i always get to the point where the AI managers cannot improve their teams sufficiently no matter how much my performances increase our coefficients. In the end the league becomes uncompetitive and boring.

I had a long save in Poland with my beloved Widzew Lodz. The furthest I had gotten was the Semi's with some major luck on team draws. I never faced a big giant club until the semi's. The big issues I found were that my players were not really being valued properly. I had players with great stats but low value. I once sold my striker and his value jumped from 800k to 15MIL pounds(sold for 3mil) Same thing for a CB and DM.

Another big issue I had was that even though my team was always making it past the group stages of the CL I could never attract good established players to join my team. It was taking very very long for my club rep to go up even though I was ranked top 30 in the world for clubs no one wanted to join me but then would go and join clubs that were ranked 50+. I imagine this might have something to do with the league rep?

It was very frustrating at times and my players always demanded to be sold but I never let them go and promised them CL to test themselves vs the best and then a week later they would demand to be sold again even after agreeing to give me till the end of the season. It was a mess. Makes me not want to play in leagues likes that anymore which is a shame.

I'm sure if a team in Poland made it past the group stages of the CL 5-10 years in a row there would be loads to "good players" that would consider going there. Maybe even stars if the $$ was right.

I don't think anyone using countries like Wales or Sweden as examples to show success with leagues of comparable size to those in Eastern Europe actually counts as them thinking such places are in Eastern Europe. It seems to me like the two of you that have tried to point it out have done a pretty poor job of sounding clever

I'd imagine Shakthar Donetsk would be one of, if not the, best candidate to achieve Euro success with from Day One, which is why I am considering starting a save with them in 14. It would depend on keeping your talented Brazilians around, attracting more of them and maybe...mayyyybe...snatching up a good player who wouldn't mind playing in the Ukraine. They should have a decent amount of money, good staff and facilities and a pipeline to Brazil which, I think exists in FM as it does in real life.

I can't believe you have drawn me to this. I'm not going to argue with you anymore over a game, you bad joker. The post states Eastern European. No matter how you dress it or argue it. It's Eastern European. Not similar not close too not like and not comparable. It's Eastern European teams. Sort yourself out son

I managed to reach the CL final with GKS Katowice in Poland. Lost to Arsenal in extra time and since then I've been knocked out in the quarterfinals 3 straight years.

So it could be done, although I've had a lot of the same problems as Widzew mentioned in his post. Eventually something clicked where instead of getting offers of 2-3 million for my best players it's more like 15-20 million... but I still don't sell them because it's too hard to find replacements. You can't sign established stars but you can get 15-18 year olds with world class potential.

I can't believe you have drawn me to this. I'm not going to argue with you anymore over a game, you bad joker. The post states Eastern European. No matter how you dress it or argue it. It's Eastern European. Not similar not close too not like and not comparable. It's Eastern European teams. Sort yourself out son

You're embarrassing yourself a little here - The question was not 'has anybody won the CL with an Eastern European club' it was 'Is it possible to win the CL with an Eastern European Club'. By showing it's possible to win it with a Welsh team answers the op's question since the Welsh league is weaker than all Eastern European leagues with possibly the exception of Estonia and Armenia which are about the same level.

A lot of it depends on whether the country is within in the EU. If it is not, there is likely to be a foreign player limit which will hinder your progress if the country does not produce any talented youngsters. I know Norway is not Eastern Europe but they are a Non-EU country that is lowly ranked within Europe (FM13) and I was highly successful with this side and would have confidently said I would have won the champions league if Norway decided to produce any decent youngsters as there was a 5 foreign player limit.

Definitely possible. Won the Europa League with OFK Belgrade and later on the CL with Red Star Belgrade. Separate saves however.

Through signing talented youngsters and a decent transfer strategy I managed to build 2 sides that were competitive on the highest level. One thing that bothered me however was the fact that it was a bit too easy to keep my squad assembled as even the unhappy players were worth keeping. After I failed to deliver on a promise to them, usually their unhappiness magically disappeared for a while. I hope that's been fixed for FM14.

Eastern European Countries

Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Georgia, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Ukraine

You could do it in any of those countries if you really wanted to.

Kosovo is not a country.

If you're worried about players being undervalued I recommend you edit the nation you're about to manage and edit the transfer values and wages of the higher reputation levels to those found in England and Spain. This way when you get famous you should be able to retain your players.

As of 26 September 2013, 106 UN states recognise the independence of Kosovo. I would say it is a country.

one of the reasons why Januzaj hasn't decided the country he want's to play for as he wants to play for Kosovo but it hasn't been accepted by FIFA....yet of course it will be accepted though but you can never be sure how long it will take just look at Gibraltar for one took them ages!

but back to the OP yes totally possible you can be the best team in the world from any country in the world just different ones are more difficult than others

Archived