Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

After not playing the beta at all I've finally got the demo and here is my initial feedback for what it's worth

Not a fan of the layout and general display - I'll get a new skin in time so not a big deal

Match screen looks amazing, crisp and fluid graphics, players movement and actions very realistic

My team are playing pretty much how I have asked them to, my vision of bring back the 3-5-2 is working a treat so far.

Not sore why the press conferences are now in news ? Bit pointless

Possibly too many goals from corners

No major bugs or issues found (apart from no trialists able to play for Rangers)

Cautiously optimistic about FM14, bring on Thursday when I can start the full game :applause:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
Only just saw your post from above Neil so just done that, will report back if it happens again!

Wonder if the save is knackered, as that's the only one it's done it on? I'd got it to save weekly so I must not have even done a week which is surprising.

I doubt it's the save. We think it's an issue with the update which has caused this. Do let us know whether the cache deletion has definitely fixed this for you. Thanks.

Anyone else having the "unable to sync" Steam thing every time you start? Rather annoying.

(Still can't get the freaking logos to work but that's beyond the remit of this discussion)

When that happens i fully close steam, using the task manager if it doesnt want to close itself, then restart fm14 and it usually fix the problem.

I cant believe long freekicks havent been fixed. It´s the most annoying shitfest when you have a freekick and whole team goes into the opponent penalty area. Even if I set to short or aim far, the freekick taker will shoot the ****ing ball, without any height, into their defender closing down the half circle, and they will counter and maybe score.

Goals from crosses are too common aswell, just like FM13 early release.

Defenders dont act normal either, just look at this defensive setup on a freekick. What is this wall?

ldLjrfH.png

Yes, I conceded after this.

#BringBackSliders

Good evening to anyone. After several games with the new update i have to say:

1)Too many long shots from outside the area. The players looks like they have nothing to do but shot. It seems the same problem like 13.3 patch. You can t see a through ball or a good pass inside the box...

2) The game is very attaking. Every team win the ball is trying to counter. One player takes tha ball and start running down the flanks.

3)Goalkeepers save everything

4) No one place the ball. Everyone shots with power

Completely disagree, I think it's a vast improvement.

1) Don't have this problem at all.

2) Not really noticed

3) This is much less the case after 14.1

4) Not really seen this either.

Apologies if it's been mentioned before but since today's update, whenever I set an individual training role for a player on the overall individual player training screen, that player's row on the screen goes blank. The training itself updates, as going back a page and then forwards displays the updated training instructions, but when the selection is made the row itself turns blank.

Please try deleting your cache/preferences using the instructions found here: http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=207#accordion-207.

This should fix the issue. Let us know if it hasn't.

I have played several games on this new BETA update from today. (and have played the BETA since the minute it was available for dowload)

W2k8 - AMD10 processor

I have not had any crash dumps

I have not had the weird inbox issue

The ratings have definitely changed but is that a bad thing?

We do not even know yet what the change behind it was as this is still BETA so time will tell (about 2 more days haha)

From the matches I have watched and am in the process of watching (I paused it while I am typing) I see better defending and better decisions being made ... I have not see the oddness people are talking about.

I for one am thoroughly enjoying this BETA.

Thank you SI

• Administrators
I've just started unemployed the fresh save with continental reputation. Loaded the top divisions in ENG, GER, ITA, ESP and FRA with starting date in February 2014 (via Sweden that is unplayable). It is September now and not a single club out of maybe 10ish accepted my aplication. No, interviews no messages in the inbox regarding my declarations of interest... nothing.

Is that normal?

What starting past playing experience did you give yourself, and what is the lowest playable league in the game?

Oh, dear God! How come the current ME version is worse than previous one?! In v.14.03 we've got a decent amount of blocked and unblocked crosses, through passes, ccc etc. - in one word, game looked pretty ballanced. Also I had an inpresion that you have managed to get rid off all this "super-dribble" sh*t. What we have right now is a complete disaster. Ive played 10 games till now and seen literally 1 or 2 blocked crosses; super-dribblers came back in glory and good old ice skating effect issue(well known from FM 13) just intensified somehow. Also there is another issue that popped up after this update. I call it "chaos teory" issue, cuz it makes all the players move like a headless horsemen on the field.... no tactics, no positioning, no discypline... just 22 headless horsemen!

I was really looking forward to try this new update. I tought you might tweak some finishing issues which was pretty unbalanced and sort out some minor bugs making this ME great, yet I've just downloaded 50 mb of complete crap which made this game "same old sh*t". is that what you call a progress, for God sake?!

• Administrators
Oh, dear God! How come the current ME version is worse than previous one?! In v.14.03 we've got a decent amount of blocked and unblocked crosses, through passes, ccc etc. - in one word, game looked pretty ballanced. Also I had an inpresion that you have managed to get rid off all this "super-dribble" sh*t. What we have right now is a complete disaster. Ive played 10 games till now and seen literally 1 or 2 blocked crosses; super-dribblers came back in glory and good old ice skating effect issue(well known from FM 13) just intensified somehow. Also there is another issue that popped up after this update. I call it "chaos teory" issue, cuz it makes all the players move like a headless horsemen on the field.... no tactics, no positioning, no discypline... just 22 headless horsemen!

I was really looking forward to try this new update. I tought you might tweak some finishing issues which was pretty unbalanced and sort out some minor bugs making this ME great, yet I've just downloaded 50 mb of complete crap which made this game "same old sh*t". is that what you call a progress, for God sake?!

Please provide feedback in a constructive calm manner even if you have to criticise. Calling the game 'crap' and the 'same old ****' is completely unacceptable.

Okay, well I guess the good news is that the main thing I wanted fixing has been sorted; the moving widgets. But now there seems to be a whole host of new problems.

As mentioned, the screen flow is very jittery when loading news items or match previews. The players ratings also seem pretty hectic, with players so far for me starting on anything from 5.7 to 7.2 in the first few minutes. Also, not an issue so much as a minor annoyance, but at the start of every single game the opposition will have a higher average rating than me on the stats widget. It's meaningless, as obviously nothing has happened yet in the game to affect the ratings, but it gets on my nerves how nothing has happened yet somehow my players are judged worse. Probably just a bit of a paranoia thing on my end though.

Full backs ratings also seem to have completely flipped, and now are usually very low.

I'm in pre-season now and haven't played a home game for a while, but have read that the match information box when waiting for the next highlights in a game still sticks to home/away team rather than remembering to just show the opposition formation/body language etc. That's another thing I'd like to see sorted out.

Also just has a crash when trying to save my game after a match. Hasn't happened again since though, so nothing major.

Must be honest though, it's kind of disappointing to be dealing with all of these issues. I know it's a beta, but considering things should only have improved with each update, and it now being close to the full release, it does feel like we've merely being doing the work of testers, and finding issues should have been ironed out long ago.

I see significant improvements with this patch in the ME. Much better chance conversion and a more realistic number of CCC's in games.

Fast, wide players possibly a tad overpowered. Jesus Navas just seems to run and cross at will for me.

Full back ratings do seem to be a little low.

One odd thing, and this might just be me, but AI teams seem to be having a lot of possession against my Man City team. Hasn't affected results as I've been creating opportunities, defending ok and winning games, but seems odd when I've played standard or control strategies mostly. Using retain possession shout helps a bit but not much. It could well be I need to refine my tactics further but putting it out there just to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

All in all though, great job SI, especially considering this is still at Beta stage :)

The match engine is much improved. A few observations:

- Finishing seems better and properly powerful, but long shots and free kicks seem quite inaccurate.

- Crossing is much better. Wide players even make cut-backs now when crossing is set to "drill", instead of putting it into the 6 yard box every time. Very nice!

- The annoying habit of wide players trying to buy corners off opponents but miss them completely is back (it was very apparent in FM13, but I didn't notice it earlier in the beta). That needs to be tuned badly - it looks really stupid.

Hush. it's no where near as bad as you make it out to be. Check your tactics. Oftentimes a new ME update screws up your old tactics or improves it.

Still a work in progress. They're still tweaking and fixing based on their own testing and our feedback.

Sure is progress for me. Only comparing to your post now but in my experience i see a much more balance ME. Certainly there are a few issues but i'll take them more seriously when the game has been released.

As you played an earlier ME version i take it you're playing the BETA. Remember - you're testing the game.

Anything that doesn't seem right to you just post it in the bugs forum and be prepared to upload .pkms, screenshots and saves.

Can anybody tell me how to change the path of the graphics folder in the game so all the files I have from before show? There used to be an option like that in FM13, I cant find it now.

It would be very helpful because I can't transfer all the pictures from my D partition where they are now to C where the default FM14 graphics folder is :/

Nothing on this mates?

I must say I'm really enjoying the beta so far. Maybe it's because I'm doing better than expected as Villa!

I'm not seeing a lot of the problems that others are reporting. I'm seeing tackles, players following my instructions. I also am seeing some wonderful goals. I had Benteke get put through on a 1 on 1 and chip the goalkeeper. Tonev play a 1-2 with Sylla and place the shot into the far corner. I'm seeing sliding tackles and all round good play. In the previous update I would get 3 or sometimes 3 ahead but always concede to either draw or loose. I'm not seeing that now. Full backs are not getting the really high ratings but are still getting good +7 ( if they play well) I've had 1 get 9 while the other got in the 6's.

In fact the only bug I can see is the fans are upset I sold Hutton! :) I mean..come on! It's Hutton! Hahaha

Great job SI.

I don't recognise any of the things you say here from what I've seen of the ME.

Must be honest though, it's kind of disappointing to be dealing with all of these issues. I know it's a beta, but considering things should only have improved with each update, and it now being close to the full release, it does feel like we've merely being doing the work of testers, and finding issues should have been ironed out long ago.

But that's what beta means - that you help iron out bugs, while getting the chance to play the game earlier. You're a beta TESTER right now. If you're not interested in that, you really should wait until the full release.

Besides, the game is in a much better state than this time last year.

Did something get patched about the ridiculous wage demands? I kinda don't wanna keep playing my best save because my striker asks for 15% of my total wage budget, while I just got promoted.

Also about wages, I saw Christiano Ronaldo with 35million euro's a year wage, I thought it was a bug or something, is that normal? (I guess it is, looking at Messi for example, but still 35MILLION DAYUM)

I think with some tweaks this game could be great. This last patch was already way better than fm13 ever was, and so much less frustrating. I hope scoring/defending is somewhat more realistic. If that happens I'm gonna dump all my family and friends and become a professinal FM2014 player.

Well until GTA5 is released for PC. Or the Diablo3 DLC comes out. Or I suddenly get good at LoL. Or I win the lottery so I can afford's EA's newest ripoff BF4.

Please provide feedback in a constructive calm manner even if you have to criticise. Calling the game 'crap' and the 'same old ****' is completely unacceptable.

Sorry for that. English is not my mother language, so I speak in very emotional yet boorish manner... have to work on that. Anyway, everything I just said about the game is a very sad true. I just don't understand how you can messing aroud with this ME for that long? One day it starts to look pretty sharp, then update comes around and everything is messed up... It's like one step ahead followed by two steps back all over again... two updates has been relised so far and in my humble opinion the game looks the same as FM 13 right now. So, please, tell me what were you doing for the past 6 months? Working on the ME? I doubt...

But that's what beta means - that you help iron out bugs, while getting the chance to play the game earlier. You're a beta TESTER right now. If you're not interested in that, you really should wait until the full release.

Besides, the game is in a much better state than this time last year.

I'm fine with the idea of playing a beta to make the full game better, but there just seem to have been some glaring issues that make you wonder how they were missed in development in the first place. And with each update, other issues seem to have cropped up, which makes me cautious as to whether they will be sorted in time for the full version. But obviously I'll reserve proper judgement until that is out, and if it turns out that everything is sorted by then and the proper game has omitted most of these issues, then I will consider the beta to have been a success.

One question, is anyone else finding -alot- of the goals scored are basically passed "backwards" - E.G Fifa/Pro Evo type of goal everyone hates? Just across the defense and knocked in.

Seems to be be happening alot for and against me. Anyone been able to counter?

Hush. it's no where near as bad as you make it out to be. Check your tactics. Oftentimes a new ME update screws up your old tactics or improves it.
Definetly not my tactics, cuz I always start from scratch when the update comes up. Moreover, it;s jus BETA, so Im just testing the game not paying too much attention on some serious FM careere.

• Administrators
I'm fine with the idea of playing a beta to make the full game better, but there just seem to have been some glaring issues that make you wonder how they were missed in development in the first place. And with each update, other issues seem to have cropped up, which makes me cautious as to whether they will be sorted in time for the full version. But obviously I'll reserve proper judgement until that is out, and if it turns out that everything is sorted by then and the proper game has omitted most of these issues, then I will consider the beta to have been a success.

It's very easy to criticise without knowing the process which goes on behind the scenes. There are limited eyes looking at the game and limited time for the devs to fix every issue. It's a lot more complicated and difficult than I certainly ever thought it would be before I got into the industry.

Demo played only, did not have the beta game. I have yet to play a league match, just played 7 friendlies. Some of my observations mirror some of the points being raised:

*in game widgets stay for home team rather than your club (already noted by SI)

*agents seem just as bad!

*interaction with players etc much improved

*ME seems to flow better than FM13

*players appear to adapt to their roles better than they did in FM13

*team talks have improved and if anything I get maybe too many "extremely delighted" responses!

*my defenders so far appear to be averaging a reasonable score e.g range 6.7 to 7.1

*yet to come across any thing major re crashing, or screen issues.

*press conferences slightly improved and not so much a pain

*layout in my opinion is easier and intuitive re it flows better.

I am sure I may yet come across a number of things that some of the community have raised but these are my early observations.

Fantastic match earlier this evening Luton vs Gillingham, firstly the bad,

Luton 28 shots, 11 on target despite having a man sent off on 20 mins, Gillingham 16 shots, 8 on target, 44 shots in total just not realistic, defenders ratings mostly below seven my GKs rating a measly 6.8 when he was fantastic and saved a penalty.

The good

Forester for Gillingham through on goal, Ronnie Henry makes a last ditch attempt to tackle him from behind but brings the man down and he’s got to go. Now not great for Luton but realistic, it happens week in week out in real life, the thing is here that Henry tried to make the tackle, he didn’t just stop and give up.

The final few minutes Gillingham throw everything into a last ditch effort to secure a win against 10 men, Luton’s defence absolutely heroic, tackles flying in, and proper clearances of the sort you would see in a real game, clear the ball into touch, just brilliant.

Conclusion still work to do but minor tweaks not major ones, make the defence a bit better so less shots in a game when teams are relatively well matched , still too many shots hit the bar, still a problem with defenders looking to tackle an attacker who’s trying to get to the by-line and cross, defenders still seem to stop about a metre from the by-line leaving the attacker free to get his cross in, in real life it’s the attackers skill that allows him to beat the defender and cross and not because the defender can’t be bothered to run any further.

Ive noticed that my CBs hardly tackle. My FBs will have between 9-16 or more but CBs between 0-2.

Still loving it although my 5game unbeaten streak was abruptly ended in a 0-5 defeat at Arsenal. Must be a bug! Lol

The media have started saying I'm a tinkerman who throws up tactical surprises but it was this that lead to my undoing against Arsenal. Love it!

I am wondering if those that have been playing beta before the demo have had their game slightly skewed as opposed to those that are playing the demo. Not sure but they does appear to be a difference?

Spoke too early just had my first crash!

:D

Fantastic match earlier this evening Luton vs Gillingham, firstly the bad,

Luton 28 shots, 11 on target despite having a man sent off on 20 mins, Gillingham 16 shots, 8 on target, 44 shots in total just not realistic, defenders ratings mostly below seven my GKs rating a measly 6.8 when he was fantastic and saved a penalty.

The good

Forester for Gillingham through on goal, Ronnie Henry makes a last ditch attempt to tackle him from behind but brings the man down and he’s got to go. Now not great for Luton but realistic, it happens week in week out in real life, the thing is here that Henry tried to make the tackle, he didn’t just stop and give up.

The final few minutes Gillingham throw everything into a last ditch effort to secure a win against 10 men, Luton’s defence absolutely heroic, tackles flying in, and proper clearances of the sort you would see in a real game, clear the ball into touch, just brilliant.

Conclusion still work to do but minor tweaks not major ones, make the defence a bit better so less shots in a game when teams are relatively well matched , still too many shots hit the bar, still a problem with defenders looking to tackle an attacker who’s trying to get to the by-line and cross, defenders still seem to stop about a metre from the by-line leaving the attacker free to get his cross in, in real life it’s the attackers skill that allows him to beat the defender and cross and not because the defender can’t be bothered to run any further.

I had the same match earlier too away to Watford, we took an early lead and it was backs to the wall for the entire game but we rode it out my back 4 was magnificent

In windowed mode it's hard to offer contracts to players, you have to switch back from windowed to not windowed to click on some things because you can't see them otherwise. And you don't see how scouted player compares to your current players in scout reports, it's annoying. There should be options to scroll down to see it.

Archived