Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

Only it's not 'every time', not even close to it. I'd suggest you watch a full game, even just once, to see that fullbacks get plenty tackles in, in those positions. Those tackles don't make highlight reels of course.
That may well be the case but all that means is that the defenders are still switching off several times a game, I would still expect to see instances where the defender attempts to win the ball or clear the danger but the attacker still gets his by-line cross in, what I don't expect to see is successful crosses from the by-line only happening if the defender gives up, which is what we have now.

It also appears having now played a few more matches with this version of the engine, that attackers no longer score when one on one, an issue that had been fixed.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why won't the board allow me to distribute more money towards the wage budget? I don't understand how them allowing me to have a transfer budget of £40m but only £400k in wages helps anyone. If I want to give myself more wages (at the expense of my transfer budget), allow me to.

Edit:

In addition, youth players are far too expensive. I was quoted £18m for an 18-year-old goalkeeper who hadn't even played a professional match. Where did they get that figure from?

That may well be the case but all that means is that the defenders are still switching off several times a game, I would still expect to see instances where the defender attempts to win the ball or clear the danger but the attacker still gets his by-line cross in, what I don't expect to see is successful crosses from the by-line only happening if the defender gives up, which is what we have now.

It also appears having now played a few more matches with this version of the engine, that attackers no longer score when one on one, an issue that had been fixed.

I wonder then if there's a difference in the FMC match engine to the main game. I haven't started a save on the full game yet (waiting for the proper release before I do that), so I've been tinkering using FMC - which is very impressive btw - and I don't see half the issues with defending that people report on here. The only thing I've really noticed is the reduced player ratings for fullbacks, but they seem to even out during a whole game after a slow start. My goals for and against are all a good mix of goals rather than all being from crosses and long shots as people have reported, and I also see plenty through balls, before and after the update(s). I also don't see a huge amount of shots every game, it seems to be fairly realistic. And I've never had any issues with extraordinary low bids for players.

Perhaps all this only happens on the full game, who knows.

Just a quick question, did someone say they was an "instant" button in full game? If so, were is it, do you need to switch it on in preferences?

Cheers

ps playing the game on extended and having a generally good experience overall.

Just got the game now and first impressions are not the best. Each time I click on something it seems to take and age for anything to happen. Prob leave it now until first patch and hope this is fixed.

That would suggest your computer specs are either not up to scratch or you need to re-download latest drivers etc.. as there aren't really any issues with that AFAIK

Might be a silly question but if I've pre-ordered the physical version will I need the disc to activate the game or will I be able to upgrade from the beta version at midnight? Last year I just bought the digital version so I'm unsure.

You won't need the disc but you will need the code that is with it.

Might be a silly question but if I've pre-ordered the physical version will I need the disc to activate the game or will I be able to upgrade from the beta version at midnight? Last year I just bought the digital version so I'm unsure.

If you have already the beta activated with the code you don't need anything.

You will need a full game key which i would think will come with your physical game. Nothing to stop you starting a game on your open beta , saving then loading up into your full game when received and installed tomorrow

• SI Staff
Only it's not 'every time', not even close to it. I'd suggest you watch a full game, even just once, to see that fullbacks get plenty tackles in, in those positions. Those tackles don't make highlight reels of course.

I think this is a massively important point that many on here are missing. Thank you for making it!

I wonder then if there's a difference in the FMC match engine to the main game. I haven't started a save on the full game yet (waiting for the proper release before I do that), so I've been tinkering using FMC - which is very impressive btw - and I don't see half the issues with defending that people report on here. The only thing I've really noticed is the reduced player ratings for fullbacks, but they seem to even out during a whole game after a slow start. My goals for and against are all a good mix of goals rather than all being from crosses and long shots as people have reported, and I also see plenty through balls, before and after the update(s). I also don't see a huge amount of shots every game, it seems to be fairly realistic. And I've never had any issues with extraordinary low bids for players.

Perhaps all this only happens on the full game, who knows.

Nope. ME is same regardless of mode.

another 2 games, another 2 red cards for the opposition :)

You can't use a 5 game sample as proof - see how it is over 30 games. And see above in thread for average card stats per match over a full season.

my summary so far is,

too many shots, Derby just had 34 shots to my 18.

DR & DL seem to get ratings of 5.8 etc a lot.

Too many red cards.

Shots - again see stats from game and RL above in thread.

DR/L ratings. Agreed and under review for an update.

Cards. If you do significantly exceed the averages I posted above then chances are it's relating to your specific tactics and/or players.

One more thing - had to post this for reference.....

http://www.soccervista.com/soccer_leagues_ordered_by_number_of_goals.php

;-)

Paul, this is a team game, not a division game.

This is the average ratings from the leagues not from the teams.

Barcelona is making 1-3 long shots per game while Real Madrid is making 4-6. This does not mean that every team from the same league will have a standard numbers of shots. Every team is different, so and the players.

I cant't believe in this match engine how barca plays. Messi never try a killer ball when he is outside of the box. He is always finish with powerfull shot. What about a combination and a beatifull quick play till the finish...

Also i have a question. Can i play a formation with no center for? Can the match engine "recognise" this or you suggest me not even try? I m thinking about a 4-3-3 with lio messi as an attaking mildfielder (AMRC)..

Thanks

I think this is a massively important point that many on here are missing. Thank you for making it!

And as I say he may well be right however, this still does not explain why the ME when showing a highlight of a by-line cross never has the defender making some sort of challenge. In real football successful crosses into the box don’t occur only when the defender has given up or doesn’t make an attempt to win the ball, they frequently happen because the attacker is stronger or has a good technique and can hold the defender off, ride the challenge and get his cross away.

I play a 4-2-3-1 formation and signed the Japanese player, Honda, to play in the AMC role, as an advanced playmaker behind Fletcher, and in four games, he's set up five goals for Fletcher, Johnson, and Giaccherini, all from through balls.

Guess it's your tactics :D

Can you post them on YouTube ?

And as I say he may well be right however, this still does not explain why the ME when showing a highlight of a by-line cross never has the defender making some sort of challenge.

This is the unfortunate nature of highlights. The underlying point that Dagenham_Dave makes is a very good one.

If you spend the time to watch a few matches in full, or at least on comprehensive, you will see defenders tackling, you will see then blocking crosses.

The more abbreviated the highlights mode, the more likely it is that you pretty much just see goal scoring opportunities - this will inevitably include instances where the defender fails to engage on a cross.

Key Highlights gives a very Match Of The Day interpretation of a match and it can be far removed from what you actually see if you go and watch the game in the flesh.

It's the exact same thing as people posting outlying matches with 50 shots - it is an exception and not a rule.

Can you post them on YouTube ?

Sorry chief, I've deleted the save, as I'll be starting all new ones when the full release is out later. My AMC from my Gladbach side in an earlier save did much the same, and 4-2-3-1 is a favourite formation of mine, so I daresay I'll have examples to post in the coming days.

Sorry chief, I've deleted the save, as I'll be starting all new ones when the full release is out later. My AMC from my Gladbach side in an earlier save did much the same, and 4-2-3-1 is a favourite formation of mine, so I daresay I'll have examples to post in the coming days.

Excellent...look forward to seeing them. Id expect there to be an update to ME so hopefully there will be plethora of through balls to choose from

Meh, they say the same every year. Every year, the previous version was THE best of all time. It has actually been a lot quieter here than previous... although I may have jinxed it and tomorrow all hell will break loose. Good luck mods :D

I think it's because FM13's earlier patches had some key issues whilst the beta patches (ignoring this current one) had no MAJOR issues. I actually found the previous patch to be a fantastic start and I'm seriously looking forward to the game.

I see some posting about the fullbacks making tackles in the match and we would see them if we watch an entire match.

I do not disagree with that, although I will not be watching a full match anytime soon as it just is not feasible for me.

What it does say is that the ratings for the fullbacks are really broken as there is no way they should be getting such low ratings match after match, it is quite bad that this is the release match engine version and can't help but think there will be quite a lot of fallout on these forums over it, is a real shame as if the transfer bug and the fullbacks got sorted it could have been a somewhat smooth release.

What I am seeing of my fullbacks is they are generally playing well enough, setting up attacks and I do see them making some tackles even on extended highlights, if those tackles are even more in the full game then there really is no reason why my assistant is telling me to sub them after 25-30 minutes every other game.

What it does say is that the ratings for the fullbacks are really broken as there is no way they should be getting such low ratings match after match, it is quite bad that this is the release match engine version and can't help but think there will be quite a lot of fallout on these forums over it, is a real shame as if the transfer bug and the fullbacks got sorted it could have been a somewhat smooth release.

What I am seeing of my fullbacks is they are generally playing well enough, setting up attacks and I do see them making some tackles even on extended highlights, if those tackles are even more in the full game then there really is no reason why my assistant is telling me to sub them after 25-30 minutes every other game.

Don't worry - ratings are a comparatively "easy" thing to fix, and it is an issue that PaulC confirmed is under review and will be fixed shortly.

I wouldn't be fixated with the ratings at the moment, just make your own assessment of your player performance based on their stats and ignore the ratings - or just add 0.5!

I don’t know if this is a bug so I am leaving this in the feedback section

I keep encountering the same sort of problem with my goalkeeper

whenever I’m winning the opposition team take a long throw and it ends up hitting my goalkeepers hand and going in

I would understand that if this happens once in a while but when it happens like two or three times it can be really annoying especially when your about to win the game. I don’t know has anyone experienced this same sort of problem

Minor ME improvements and tranfers fixes and we can talk about the best ever FM .Even better than 2012.

Is it certain that we will get an update tonight ?

It is certain that there will be no ME update tonight, but I'm unsure about whether issues relating to transfers or non-ME issues will be updated.

whenever I’m winning the opposition team take a long throw and it ends up hitting my goalkeepers hand and going in

I would understand that if this happens once in a while but when it happens like two or three times it can be really annoying especially when your about to win the game. I don’t know has anyone experienced this same sort of problem

If you are experiencing this regularly, then please upload .pkm files from the affected games into the Bugs Forum - it does not sound right.

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/347-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/363153

One observation... Pre-update; Average shots on both sides was around 9-10. Maybe a spike to 20 in games where we really dominated but very rarely.

Now, 14.1.1 at least 20+ shots a game, in one case 31 shots for my away team and 20+ for the home team.

I dare say it needs toning down. -_- Has the shot ratio been racked up in the last update?

Addenum; Goals galore too... I'm wondering if it's because the defensive line is going too far backwards. Some of the goals I'm seeing are coming right on the goal line or by bypassing a really deep defensive line even though the settings are left on default...

Don't worry - ratings are a comparatively "easy" thing to fix, and it is an issue that PaulC confirmed is under review and will be fixed shortly.

I wouldn't be fixated with the ratings at the moment, just make your own assessment of your player performance based on their stats and ignore the ratings - or just add 0.5!

lol yeah I could do that I guess.

The part that really gets my confused/annoyed is how quickly the rating for them dances about, 1 minute they are 5.4 and I am thinking of subbing them, before I even reach for the mouse they are 6.6, just as I lay my arm on the chair they are 5.6.

I mean what the hell are those fullbacks doing, it almost feels like they are putting in 1 minute of hard work and then 1 minute of chatting up some chick in the stands.

I think for the future, when we issue problems to SI, it should be in some form of format: Example

Game Version:

Full restart from version?

International Experience?

Team?

Tactics?

How long played?

How many signings made?

ETC

Therefore it would be easier for them to see what are 'tactical' based issues, from 'AI fixes' required

Only thought this because i read some posts, that are totally opposite to my experience, and wander if it really is the game players tactics or style of play that is the issue

Archived