2D Classic vs 3D Match Engine

How do you watch your games  

347 members have voted

1. 1. How do you watch your games

I've seen a lot of debate about the state of the match engine this year (which I consider to be the best in the series even though its still a BETA). At the same time a good percentage of people upload goals, and highlights in 2D on the Internet. It made me wonder what's the break up of people currently in terms of which way they watch their games?

I've been on the 3D ME for the past 2 editions before this one. But something about the 2D still appeals and its making me toy with the idea of trying it out again.

i use 2d as it shows more of the pitch so i can see better what is going on overall. i did use 3d previously but this year is too choppy even with 5 star graphic performance in the preferences.

Drop it to medium and it should fix your problem!

3D, especially this time around. While the match engine itself does need work re. defender rating, amount of CCC's created and conversion rates, it is lovely to watch and look at :)

That said, I really should use 2D more than I do as I find, by looking at the whole pitch, I can spot some tactical problems more easily.

2D, lets imagination fill in the blanks and is more immersive. 3D breaks that as you observe all the perculiar choices and movements that remove the illusion of a football game.

That's one of the reasons I'm considering a move back to 2d. In fact I'm surprised by the high number of people who still play 2d.

I've been wanting to give 2d another try recently, but I've always found 2d classic runs very choppily, does anyone else have that problem? It's like they want to force me to play in 3d because they put most of their efforts into it.

Also, I've tried 2d (not 2d classic) mode but I've found it doesn't look very good unless you set 3d quality to High+, and then it runs as slowly as if it was in full 3d. :rolleyes: Also there's a section at the bottom of the pitch that I can't see because it's covered by some widgets...

2D and it will stay that way until FM can introduce a kind of Fifa ME engine and even then I dont think anyone would be able to afford a PC/Laptop that could run off that.

3D is too LMA for me. Plus you can see more of what is actually going on in 2D, as has been noted.

2D and it will stay that way until FM can introduce a kind of Fifa ME engine and even then I dont think anyone would be able to afford a PC/Laptop that could run off that.

3D is too LMA for me. Plus you can see more of what is actually going on in 2D, as has been noted.

how the first statement make any sense? even today laptop can run FIFA kind engine let alone 5-10 years from now

how 2D can tell you everything 3D can ? can you say if player used his left foot or the weaker right when scoring? can you say if your Striker scored from a deflected ball whether it hits his chest accidentally and gone inside or he actually used his legs to put the ball in? comn .. i can give you 100s of examples of times 2D can't tell you anything

how the first statement make any sense? even today laptop can run FIFA kind engine let alone 5-10 years from now

how 2D can tell you everything 3D can ? can you say if player used his left foot or the weaker right when scoring? can you say if your Striker scored from a deflected ball whether it hits his chest accidentally and gone inside or he actually used his legs to put the ball in? comn .. i can give you 100s of examples of times 2D can't tell you anything

An entry level laptop, which the majority of people who play FM on use would not run a FM which uses a FIFA esque engine with the amount of graphics required. It goes without saying.

By see more of what is going on I mean in terms of space, shape, width etc. I actually dont like what you see what is going on in 3D. Players boot the ball around like 5 year olds. At least in 2D you can actually use your own imagination of football as well as the 2D aspect of it all which is what I do.

Love the 2D dots. Tried watching in 3D before, game crashes more often and the graphics just look kind of funny. The way the players move seems robotic.

Maybe if the 3D graphics are of or near FIFA's standard, I might watch in 3D.

2d classic for me, it sadly seams like the fm14 3d have advanced beyond the capacity of my laptop so I dont really have a choice

But last year's edition saw you playing on the 2D? Do you feel you get a full-fledged understanding of the tactical capacity/flaws of your side in 3D?

I used 2D until FM13.

Now it feels odd watching the dots. I feel more immersed using 3D. It also helps me get a feel for how much of an impact the weather is having and whether I should quicken, or slow, the tempo.

Dunno if it's just me, mind

One of the few here who uses both. 2D Classic for the real time action, 3D for the replays of goals.

I've been playing FM/CM for a fair few iterations and watching the match in 3D just doesn't 'feel' right to me, I also find that for me 2D classic makes it easier to notice tactical tweaks and the like. Don't really know why I view the goal replays in 3D, different perspective I guess.

One of the few here who uses both. 2D Classic for the real time action, 3D for the replays of goals.

I've been playing FM/CM for a fair few iterations and watching the match in 3D just doesn't 'feel' right to me, I also find that for me 2D classic makes it easier to notice tactical tweaks and the like. Don't really know why I view the goal replays in 3D, different perspective I guess.

Exactly the same for me. Just like 3D replays in slow motion, however the match 2D all the way.

• 2 months later...

anyone notice that in 2D ( not 2D classic ) it's almost impossible see the numbers in many teams ( for ex: napoli (home games), we only see in perfect conditions on teams with contrast colours ( team black & white numbers) ??

sorry for bad english

Guest El Payaso

2D classic, always. 3D just looks stupid to my eye. It's also easier to review the general performance of your team when you're able to see the full pitch all the time.

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Matt Fraser said:

Shame you cant have both at the same time. Alot of people have more than one screen nowadays. Would be an awesome option to have all your stat windows and a 2d pitch on a separate window

Add it as a suggestion in the correct sub forum. SI pick up a lot of ideas from there. At least it's your best possibility of getting it implemented.

2D for me. My eyes can’t cope with the ME graphics anymore. I’ve tried and tried to like 3D but the animations are so poor and the stadiums look dull. I can see all the positioning and movement using the 2D view anyway.  It’s so good at looking at what’s going on on the pitch and like someone just said, until the match graphics are up to speed with today’s graphics, I’ll be sticking with 2D. I think even if the graphics were top notch, I’d still use the 2D to check certain things from time to time. 

On 28/10/2013 at 06:25, Babak G said:

I think the 2D is a bit more engaging in the sense that you see the whole action. Although, I think the 3D could be zoomed out to a point to give you a further out view, right?

Should be possible to give a blimp view in 3d. Top down above the centre circle. 

Would love a free camera view where you had full control over position and zoom, so you could create your own custom camera views. Should also be HSV adjustment for the colours, but that's a different subject.

Edited by rp1966