Understanding Player Roles

I'm not sure where this information is available in game.

In one sense the tactics have been simplified, less sliders etc. When you pick a "balance" and "flexibility" that seems to pick some team options for you, which is fine. But within the tactics there are an overwhelming number of player roles with no explanation of what they do.

"half back, target flank man, limited fullback, complete wing back, enganche, regista, false nine and shadow striker"

How am I supposed to know if my LB is a limited full back or a complete full back? Does the game describe this to me? Wouldn't it be better if the game could point out the key stats that each role needs (or does it actually do that, am I right in thinking it "highlights" these on some page)?

Even if it does that, I think it could describe what each position needs in order to flourish. The FIFA chemistry system actually provides something like that.

I just think that it's not that intuitive and a bit overwhelming. In the Skrillz premier I have a 4-4-1-1 and no way to establish if my AMC should be an AMC, engagine, false nine, etc.

I'm not sure where this information is available in game.

In one sense the tactics have been simplified, less sliders etc. When you pick a "balance" and "flexibility" that seems to pick some team options for you, which is fine. But within the tactics there are an overwhelming number of player roles with no explanation of what they do.

"half back, target flank man, limited fullback, complete wing back, enganche, regista, false nine and shadow striker"

How am I supposed to know if my LB is a limited full back or a complete full back? Does the game describe this to me? Wouldn't it be better if the game could point out the key stats that each role needs (or does it actually do that, am I right in thinking it "highlights" these on some page)?

Even if it does that, I think it could describe what each position needs in order to flourish. The FIFA chemistry system actually provides something like that.

I just think that it's not that intuitive and a bit overwhelming. In the Skrillz premier I have a 4-4-1-1 and no way to establish if my AMC should be an AMC, engagine, false nine, etc.

Tactics haven't been simplified. It is easier to understand though.

There you can see in the game what key attributes are needed for a certain position. It has been in the game for a few versions now. It is on the player instructions screen in FM14.

Edit: You can see it on the attributes page in a player's profile too.

You do, if you hover over the roles it gives you a description, if you change the role of the player it will highlight in blue the main attributes needed for that role. Or in the training screen you can set a player to train for a specific role, again it will highlight the attributes that this role will focus on.

Archived