How do you play Messi?

So, with this in mind, has anyone found a winning formula for Messi in FM where's he's scoring freely and assisting etc?

In a current FM13 save I have going he's player at STRC as a Trequartista. He's smashed in 63 goals in 55 appearances so far. There no one else upfront and no one in AMR position. The only other player down the right wing in a Defensive Winger.

There's an IF (Attack) at AML, and an IF (Attack) at AMC, though appreciate the latter is not possible on FM14.

Discussions moved on so post deleted.

Cheers Cleon.

I'm trying all sorts of different things. Seems playing him in the lone striker position works best for me atm.

I like the false 9 role, seems to get the best out of him.

How have you set up the rest of the players to make the most of him being the F9?

Well, I've set my team up as follows.

------------GK----------

CWB - BPD - CD - CWB

------------HB----------

------AP(A)--AP(A)-----

IF---------------------IF

------------F9-----------

Actual balance of the team, possession, number of passes etc all seem to me to be quite good, not as good as I've made in previous FM versions but I'm ok with how my team is, my issue, if it really is an issue, is that Messi isn't quite scoring as much as I want or taking part in the game as much as I want.

In theory, I wanted the 2 central midfielders, Xavi/Iniesta both set as AP(A) to push further forward to be along side Messi more, who, with the F9 role, should drop deeper to be nearer them and make the shorter passing with each other increase.

Don't see that happening much though, many passes go to the right/left, despite settings being set to 'through middle' and 'narrow'.

I'll keep tinkering away, I never expect to find a perfect tactic but I'm quite sure I can get more out of Messi in particular.

I note tomtuck01 has had some good success there, I'll think about what you've put and maybe try his position slightly further to the right so he can cut in more.

Cheers

Well, I've set my team up as follows.

------------GK----------

CWB - BPD - CD - CWB

------------HB----------

------AP(A)--AP(A)-----

IF---------------------IF

------------F9-----------

Actual balance of the team, possession, number of passes etc all seem to me to be quite good, not as good as I've made in previous FM versions but I'm ok with how my team is, my issue, if it really is an issue, is that Messi isn't quite scoring as much as I want or taking part in the game as much as I want.

In theory, I wanted the 2 central midfielders, Xavi/Iniesta both set as AP(A) to push further forward to be along side Messi more, who, with the F9 role, should drop deeper to be nearer them and make the shorter passing with each other increase.

Don't see that happening much though, many passes go to the right/left, despite settings being set to 'through middle' and 'narrow'.

I'll keep tinkering away, I never expect to find a perfect tactic but I'm quite sure I can get more out of Messi in particular.

I note tomtuck01 has had some good success there, I'll think about what you've put and maybe try his position slightly further to the right so he can cut in more.

Cheers

IMO, the problem is that no matter what role Messi is selected to play, he just doesn't drop deep enough to connect with the midfield like it was possible in FM13 or even FM12. What kind of Fluidity are you using? Are you at full Tactic Familiarity?

What Messi needs to shine and to touch like 50 balls per game is play either as TQ (more ofensive, needs more supportive IF) or F9 (supportive kind of player, like cesc on that spot - no runs, just good passes and roaming, so IF need to be more offensive) but with a REALLY SLOW TEMPO. other roles give instructions to run from deep sometimes or constantly (CF, DLF), TQ and F9 don't. if you play a fast tempo you need your striker making runs, so the TQ or F9 is not suitable and messi won't get so many balls, though he may score with more ease each time he gets the ball. slow tempo does not require long runs forward as your aim is to get to the edge of the area with short passes and with the whole team at a time to create chances out of creativity, flair and technique. also, IF duties are important as stated before. if playing with F9 and supportive IF your CM will have 3 choices of passes on the same line, and with this ME wide passes are a priority (unless you set exploit the middle).

• 2 years later...

I tried to explain that Messi was poorly simulated in the game and the answers were not enlightening, He does not run in the game, rarely makes racing towards the opponent.

impossible to see messi producing with this ME, goals and ass he has, but productivity in the games is hard to see

if you want of a help, welcome

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/440931-After-update-the-game-back-to-FM15

I tried to explain that Messi was poorly simulated in the game and the answers were not enlightening, He does not run in the game, rarely makes racing towards the opponent.

impossible to see messi producing with this ME, goals and ass he has, but productivity in the games is hard to see

if you want of a help, welcome

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/440931-After-update-the-game-back-to-FM15

Read your thread and this is the problem I am facing. Messi is just not Messi for me.

I played Messí as a poacher on FM15, as i wanted him to concentrate on scoring as many goals as possible. From memory, on last years game, he had 20 for finishing, composure, anticipation and off the ball. He scored SO many goals in the poacher player role. around 75 in one season. You'd think setting him as a poacher would restrict his vision & creativity (not that i cared with so many creative players in the squad) but it didn't. Still managed over 20 assists per season.

Poacher all the way! :brock:

Poacher limits the player defensively, so their is no reason why a Poacher Messi wouldn't use his vision.

Most roles doesn't prevent a player from using his full range of stats.

That makes FM16 suitability for a role indicator a bit broken, the system says Messi isn't the best at playing any role.

I've been using Messi and Neymar as IF/S behind a CF/A Suarez, in a very fluent standard system. Solid wins, won the league by a land slide (everyone else had a bad season though), but very little magic on the pitch.

Poacher limits the player defensively, so their is no reason why a Poacher Messi wouldn't use his vision.

Most roles doesn't prevent a player from using his full range of stats.

That makes FM16 suitability for a role indicator a bit broken, the system says Messi isn't the best at playing any role.

I've been using Messi and Neymar as IF/S behind a CF/A Suarez, in a very fluent standard system. Solid wins, won the league by a land slide (everyone else had a bad season though), but very little magic on the pitch.

it's also realized that Messi is not 100% in any function

and about the lack of magic: I'm trying to explain it to the moderators since I created my thread, I think are not WHAT understanding we mean, we do not want magical goals every game, but WHAT we want to do at least one top player try to make magic moves, being successful or not, and not delay the move, or stop running toward the goal to make a pass, knowing that is 30 meters open field in front...

anyway, I still have hope

Tried Neymar-Suarez-Messi as 3 striker team, but that was awful.

Then I changed from IF/S to AM/S (Neymar) and AM/A Messi and wow that helped a lot.

Messi is also a problem because you can't create a manager that has enough reputation to stand up to him, second season as Barca Manager and I just noticed my AssMan saying Messi is disenchanted with my team talk and that's after I just got him the League Title, Champions Cup in the first season. When you finally have the rep to motivate Messi, he is in a retirement home.

(Was headhunted by Barca after winning the Dutch league with FC Twente)

Then I changed from IF/S to AM/S (Neymar) and AM/A Messi and wow that helped a lot.

Messi is also a problem because you can't create a manager that has enough reputation to stand up to him, second season as Barca Manager and I just noticed my AssMan saying Messi is disenchanted with my team talk and that's after I just got him the League Title, Champions Cup in the first season. When you finally have the rep to motivate Messi, he is in a retirement home.

Do you play Suarez as an CF-A?

Was it IF/F9/IF?

Never did do well with it on 15, mostly on account of the IF's tucking in a bit too early. I wonder if it is the same for 16?

Archived