FM2014 Pre-Release Beta *UPDATE* Feedback thread

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to check whether this is a possible bug or WAD, when you tick the option preventing signings in the first transfer window, loans are still allowed. Is this as it should be? My apologies if so, I've never actually ticked this option before.

That's fine, the option disables transfer budgets in the first window, rather than all transfers.

Hmm, strange. I'm not seeing this problem myself, but noticed you're the second person on this thread to have mentioned this. We're looking into this further.

Add me to the list. My team isn't highlighted anywhere either.

Hi all,

I admit I have not tried the beta yet. I've still been playing my FM 13 save and am wary of jumping in too early on a new version, since the last several versions really weren't in a near final state for a month or two after release.

That said, I'm wondering if they have addressed some of my biggest peeves about the FM 13 ME. This is not to complain about FM 13, but rather I'm hoping they are fixed in 14. If they are I might dive in a bit earlier this year.

1) Are their more goals from outside the box?

These were super-rare in FM 13, even from top quality sides with players with very high long shots. WC midfielders with an 18 LS might be lucky to score once or twice a season from outside the box. I believe this was because shot power was set too low, meaning that most long shots were limp affairs that only got in if the keeper was obstructed. This reduction in shot power was probably due to poor marking resulting in too many goals if the balls were actually hit at a proper speed.

2) Has the ratio between corner and free kick goals been fixed?

In FM 13 it is common for a center back to finish with between 5-10 goals per season from corners, even without coming up with a custom corner routine.

In contrast, I seemaybe 2-3 direct FK goals per season in 100 or so matches, despite having world class FK takers. I think this is largely related to #1 above.

3) Have tackles, headers, crosses and interceptions been tuned to more realistic levels? In FM 13, these stats were way out of proportion with real life.

In my current FM 13 save, the top tacklers average about 10 per game, while in real life its about 5

In FM, top interceptors average 12 or more per game, in real life, 4

Unfortunately there's no easy way to get headers that I can find from real life but its clear there are way too many in FM 13. In my save the league leaders average 12-13 header attempts per game (I believe that this is related to the interception problem, as FM treats most headers as interceptions, bloating the former number. The league leader in headers in my save also leads the league in interceptions).

Crossing is less effective than in RL as well. The Premier League average for cross completion is in the low-20s percentage wise, while that would put any individual player among the top 10 crossers in FM 13. I believe it may also be too easy to get off crosses in FM 13, and the success ratio has been reduced to compensate.

I believe these are the result of more frantic, less controlled play in FM 13 ME. Teams play less true possession and are more likely to ping pong the ball around, boosting all the related numbers.

End of season 1 review:

Board expectation - reach play-offs

Reached play-offs but board are only "satisfied" - they were pleased for a couple of weeks in March when I was in 2nd - should be pleased IMO

They did offer me a 1 year contract with the same expectations/budgets which I negotiated to 2 years

Not too sure about finances - did raise £200k from pre-season but was losing £12-20k a month during the season - maybe a bit too much considering I was only £120 over my wage budget

Have reduced my wage bill from 6.5k to 2.5k by releasing out of contract players and replacing with youth and a lot of free agents are accepting non contract deals so that will help

20 new sponsorship deals - up to £50k pa from £18k

Manager sackings seems to have been improved since update (still not sure it was a fix) - only the bottom 6 in the Premier sacked their manager plus Pellegrini when City were about 8th IIRC and knocked out of the CL group stage - happy with that - Steve Bruce was not sacked until the end of the season with Hull bottom all through the season

Condition of CDs are real problem - they drop too quickly in a match (more than any other position) and don't recover between games fast enough - even a player with 18 in Natural Fitness which I always thought was key in recovery - players were on light/very light training - LL clubs have to rely on a small squad IRL and I'm sure their CDs will play most of their games

Still a lot more playable since the update and a hell of a lot better than last years beta :thup:

Board expectation - reach play-offs

Reached play-offs but board are only "satisfied" - they were pleased for a couple of weeks in March when I was in 2nd - should be pleased IMO

I think satisfied is right, as you met the minimum expectation, not exceeded it (unless you won the playoffs?)

I think satisfied is right, as you met the minimum expectation, not exceeded it (unless you won the playoffs?)

No got spanked by Staines :D

They were happy enough to give me a new contract which was essential

Couple of points on training

AM set to handle training - weird assignments like 100% team cohesion until new year and then 50% TC rest of season when squad harmony was 100%

Tactic familiarity was still only 90% by the end of season

Argggghhhhh. Finishing is really beginning to **** me off. Cazorla had the ball right on the goal line, hits the bar. One on ones seem to be harder to score than long rangers too. Frustrating.

Also, have SI said anything about how ridiculous Stoke are on this game? Height and power seems to rule.

Hey guys,

I haven't played FM extensively since FM08, however, FM14 is my return.

When going in to match day, I like to watch the match on the overview screen, and have it cut to the 2D Classic pitch for highlights. I've fiddled around with it a lot, but can't seem to get this action to happen again. Has it been removed from the game now?

Currently I have have the split screen 2D Classic pitch / Match facts - which doesn't really work well for me. Thanks for any feedback :)

Just had one of my better players unhappy and wants to move to a bigger club. I want to keep him so told him we can get promoted this season.

He doesn't believe we can get promoted this season even though we're 11 points clear at the top with 15 games to go.

He's now put in a transfer request.

Hey guys,

I haven't played FM extensively since FM08, however, FM14 is my return.

When going in to match day, I like to watch the match on the overview screen, and have it cut to the 2D Classic pitch for highlights. I've fiddled around with it a lot, but can't seem to get this action to happen again. Has it been removed from the game now?

Currently I have have the split screen 2D Classic pitch / Match facts - which doesn't really work well for me. Thanks for any feedback :)

I don't understand why my thread has been moved to a post in this thread. It has nothing to do with feedback on the game. It's to do with a functionality with in the game that I'm asking about.

I don't understand why my thread has been moved to a post in this thread. It has nothing to do with feedback on the game. It's to do with a functionality with in the game that I'm asking about.

If your question might need a Dev answer it's best it's in here, they don't get time to look anywhere else much atm.

Plus this is still the FM13 forum so keeping 14 in one thread as much as possible helps all round.

Another one in my favour just...

Clearance by defender, ball rolls along the ground over the halfway line through three opposition defenders who are happy to wait for the MC in my half to 'chase' after it. Only for my striker to surge through all of them for an easy one on one, goal.

Definitely an awareness issue, my second or third post now, so I may as well put up a pkm or something.

When playing with 3 CB's and 2 WB's on support, the centrebacks still seem to love going walkabouts on the sideline, leaving just one defender in the middle of the pitch in what should be a compact three.

On top of this, seeing a lot of hattricks being scored. One of my players had 6 for the season last year. A third of the way into a season in the Welsh League to see at least two different players bag a hat-trick for their respective clubs each set of weekly games.

This might be Mac specific, but I'm having an issue with my mouse pointer not lining up with the buttons on screen. For instance, I have to click above a button/link/anything in order to click the button/link/etc that I actually want.

It doesn't happen every time I load up the game, but I thought it was worth raising in case it's a bug.

Glad to see the 'faffing about' highlight has been removed from the ME. I was getting frustrated with watching players collect the ball for a corner and then have the highlight end one second after it was actually taken ;)

Is nobody else struggling to score goals?

E: So far this season, Weimann has 14 shots on target, 7 goals. Benteke 33 shots on target, 7 goals. If Weimann can score 50% of his shots that are on target I'd expect Benteke to have 16 goals this season.

E2: Benteke just missed the target from a clear cut chance, 12 yards out.

AI managers are asking too much for their players. I have to pay 100m for Benteke, Lukaku, Bender, etc.

I'm now in my second season, and I can't buy a good player unless I pay at least 50m for him.

Match engine looks better, but it still have some things that need to be polished out. For example, almost every through ball is played in air, not on the ground, and there are a lot of missed chances inside 5 yard box. Apart from that, best beta ever.

Fourth person concurring...please sort this. It's ruining lower league managing experience.

I wouldn't say everyone wants key player. But I had a substitute with av rating 6.76 only play handful of games on £500 a week request £3,600 a week :-\ wages in lower league definitely need toning down ESP. German 3rd division.

I only play football manager for the euro academy challenge, so it's the vital part of my gaming experience.

However kudos on the new look match engine - it's making the matchday experience much more enjoyable :-D

I think the game designers have decided that you must either manage Man utd, Arsenal, Barcelona, or a few other top sides, otherwise you should be punished for being a dirty commie. I've tried different saves with different teams. The only one that isn't horrible to play was the Valencia save. I'm off back to FM13 and won't return until I see comments from lower league managers who aren't tearing their hair out.

Hi all,

I admit I have not tried the beta yet. I've still been playing my FM 13 save and am wary of jumping in too early on a new version, since the last several versions really weren't in a near final state for a month or two after release.

That said, I'm wondering if they have addressed some of my biggest peeves about the FM 13 ME. This is not to complain about FM 13, but rather I'm hoping they are fixed in 14. If they are I might dive in a bit earlier this year.

1) Are their more goals from outside the box?

These were super-rare in FM 13, even from top quality sides with players with very high long shots. WC midfielders with an 18 LS might be lucky to score once or twice a season from outside the box. I believe this was because shot power was set too low, meaning that most long shots were limp affairs that only got in if the keeper was obstructed. This reduction in shot power was probably due to poor marking resulting in too many goals if the balls were actually hit at a proper speed.

2) Has the ratio between corner and free kick goals been fixed?

In FM 13 it is common for a center back to finish with between 5-10 goals per season from corners, even without coming up with a custom corner routine.

In contrast, I seemaybe 2-3 direct FK goals per season in 100 or so matches, despite having world class FK takers. I think this is largely related to #1 above.

3) Have tackles, headers, crosses and interceptions been tuned to more realistic levels? In FM 13, these stats were way out of proportion with real life.

In my current FM 13 save, the top tacklers average about 10 per game, while in real life its about 5

In FM, top interceptors average 12 or more per game, in real life, 4

Unfortunately there's no easy way to get headers that I can find from real life but its clear there are way too many in FM 13. In my save the league leaders average 12-13 header attempts per game (I believe that this is related to the interception problem, as FM treats most headers as interceptions, bloating the former number. The league leader in headers in my save also leads the league in interceptions).

Crossing is less effective than in RL as well. The Premier League average for cross completion is in the low-20s percentage wise, while that would put any individual player among the top 10 crossers in FM 13. I believe it may also be too easy to get off crosses in FM 13, and the success ratio has been reduced to compensate.

I believe these are the result of more frantic, less controlled play in FM 13 ME. Teams play less true possession and are more likely to ping pong the ball around, boosting all the related numbers.

I'll try to answer that.

1. No, actually in 30 matches I haven't seen one long shot scored neither for me nor for the opposition. It is actually worse than in FM 13 where occasionally there were some... I find that quite akward as tuning long shots should be rather easy shouldnt it? I mean there's not much of other factors that need to be balanced, except for the overall goal rate.

2. Yes and no. I haven't seen much of goals by CBs after corners, so that seems to be alright (though my CBs all have a jumping rate of max. 13...). I haven't seen a single free kick scored, though. Again, I don't understand why it is so hard to tune this? I am not a game developer, but especially for free kicks I suppose it is a rather easy algorithm like "general chance of scoring free kick + free kick attribute (plus other attributes that come into place like technique...) - goalie ability - size of wall players (?)". I must say these things are the most disappointing to me, because either I have no idea of how hard it is to tune them or it seems like they just didn't care about them as they had other priorities...

3. Well right now, don't even dare to play FM 14... tackles are completly off (FBs regularly having 10-20 per game etc.) and headers are too many too (while that depends on how the opponent plays) for CBs. This leads to a big problem for player ratings as defenders and esp. full backs get match rating of up to 9.0 on a regular basis.

Unfortunately there is a still a lot of work needed for the ME to even reach the level of FM 12 (regarding to realism I mean, it has many other advantages over the old ME). I hope that can be done through patches, but as I see how little has improved from FM 13 it makes me think that we might have to wait rather severaly years for that (which is what happened with the old ME too, that one took 5 years to become really good, so nothing special here).

It is a pity, though, as the rest of the game seems to be at an excellent standard. But well, it's a BETA so theres no need to be pessimistic, yet

EDIT: I might seem to be one of the moaning and ranting guys on this forum, but I really am not. I am just trying to be constructive and trying to say what are the most important fixes to be done right now, in my opinion. I love FM and I highly appreciate the level of realism and the conistency of quality which comes with the game every year, there's no other game in the world which comes even close to that in terms of complexity. And CM / FM is by far the game which I spent most time of my life with, by faaaaar

Playing as Aberdeen. Until the BETA patch came out McGinn was on 16 goals in 15 games and Vernon 15 in 15 games (i do get the ball pumped into the box a lot). Sitting joint top with Celtic then after the patch nobody can score. One on ones, empty net, long range, corners, free kicks........nada. I actually had my defence working well too but thats changed too. Now the stand around waiting for the ball and a opposition player bursts through every time, albeit they usually miss anyway. And my team aint highlighted either.

AI managers are asking too much for their players. I have to pay 100m for Benteke, Lukaku, Bender, etc.

I'm now in my second season, and I can't buy a good player unless I pay at least 50m for him.

Match engine looks better, but it still have some things that need to be polished out. For example, almost every through ball is played in air, not on the ground, and there are a lot of missed chances inside 5 yard box. Apart from that, best beta ever.

Uh oh..so we're back to non lofted thru balls again...so defending disimproves and thru balls get better then defending improves lofted thru balls are back...interceptions/tackles crazy high. What's most annoying of the criticism of the previous ME to highlight a perceived improvement in the new one (yes we can all see potential for it to be better than previous but if that is never realised then it will actually never be better) was the previous one enabled ME exploiting tactics but last years ME produced ME broken defences of its own in High numbers of tackles/interceptions to protect it...ie the way to stop ME exploiting tactics is to produce a broken ME to prevent the ME from bring exploited...this is an absurd way of 'evolving' an ME. With the 31st looming it would be really great to have this corrected

I gave up on last years game because of the lack of cohesion in matches of it but still look forward to playing this years offering but reading all the feedback it still seems SI are unable to control their own ME and one thing which struck me last year was the new engine utilising collision detection was proving too difficult to be adapted with game play with too many players in pockets of the pitch particularly trying to attack in close proximity to penalty area where play almost always broke down prior to the lofted balls efforts which seem a cop out...not sure if this is the case but something is proving (yet still a year later) to be extremely prohibitive to SIs ability to get this right

Just a couple of things. Firstly, I haven't had a press conference since the beta update, over 6 months of gameplay. Additionally, I can't sign any staff because when I attempt to the game crash dumps. Finally, when I talk to a player about his concerns, they never agree with me, and I can do it repeatedly by just clicking back on the talk to player button, over and over again, as many times as I want to. Anyone else had these issues?

CCCs arent what they used to be. I think more are being created but far less converted.

Thats the point, MORE ARE BEING CREATED. Nobody talks about that, everybody is just demanding that strikers shouldnt miss the chances. I can tell what will happen: SI will under this pressure make sure that finishing will be much better with release and then we again will have everybody talking about the bad defending!! I pray that SI doesnt do that! FINISHING CANT BECOME BETTER WITHOUT MASSIV REDUCTION OF CCC´s FIRST!! Otherwise this ME will be a desaster with release. The defending overall has to be better first, THEN we would have less CCC automatically and only THEN finishing is allowed to be a liittle better! I really dont want to see these 6-6 matches again but if they just improve finishing without first make the defense work, thats exactly whats going to happen!

Archived