FM2014 Pre-Release Beta *UPDATE* Feedback thread

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't push it too far mate its a good game they just need to make some changes regarding decisions made by players in this game and for a beta version it is top quality.

That's what I meant - been impressed with the beta so much I've stopped playing and counting the days until the full release

Many times better than previous betas - of course there are a few bugs but that's the point of the beta to catch them and get rid

The guy saying he wants a refund before the full game is out is laughable IMO

Not a bug as such, but has anyone noticed that since the latest update was released, how a number of players star ratings have decreased at the start of the game, compared to what they were prior to the update? Seems strange to me that an update, which I presume has mainly impacted on the match engine, could have such an effect on player ratings.

I think the star ratings from coaches and scouts are dynamic and relative to your own players, and will change if your squad is strengthened or weakened. A striker who was rated 4 stars at the start of your game could be rated 3 stars later on, if you've bought better players in the meantime.

You need to pay attention to the text descriptions from the scouts/coaches as well. For example, a "good player for most Premier Division sides" is better than a "decent player", but a "leading player" is better than both of those, and a "star player" is even better.

How many stars they get on the rating depends on how good your own players are. Luis Suarez may only get 3 stars if you already have a squad full of players that are similar to his level, whereas he might get 5 stars, if you only have a squad of very average players. But he would probably be called a "star player" no matter the amount of stars.

How many games did Rodwell, Sinclair and Adam Johnson get IRL?

Sinclair made 12 in one season, Johnson played 97 games in 2.5 seasons and Rodwell made 15 in an injury plagued season.

So none of those are relevant to the problem mentioned. Which is a massive issue for long term games.

Just holidayed Oct 2015 and my initial fear is long term games are going to be as messed up as ever.

Aug 2013 - Oct 2015

Theo Walcott has 4 games

Alex Oxlade Chamberlain has 8 games

Raheem Sterling has just 2 games.

My other main concern is Arsenal sold Aaron Ramsey for 25.5 million to Man City in Summer 2014 and he's played just 12 games since then. No injuries kept him out. (as of right now, he's not even registered) and Man City also signed Gaston Ramirez for 18.75 million and played him once before selling him for 5million the following summer.

Re: Ramsey. Who else did City buy? You haven't mentioned that. For all we know they could have brought in better players who aren't prone to injuries and have run with them not giving Ramsey much chance.

Just a quick question - maybe I am wrong on this one, but in past versions this was different iirc: when playing the match in "only commentary" mode, is there no longer the option to gradually increase the commentary speed via the "speed during highlights"?

Adjusting this slider makes no difference at all to the speed of the text.

Adjusting the "speed between highlights" by just one notch makes the highlights themselves so quick you can almost no longer read them.

Should this not be the other way round?

I played like 30 seasons with Scarborough AFC last season. (funny as im referring to a FM-game as a season)

Downloaded FM 2014 beta last night. For the first time ever I pushed the Challenge button once. This is about an hour ago. Have been searching the internet since then, and my question is:

What does difficulty level Easy, normal and hard really mean?

Is it about injuries, moral, or is it like you get "free wins" playing on the easy level:herman:?

Centre back's static while the opposition number 9 run's through on goal chased by my DM.

Seen it a number of times, very frustrating.

I understand it's the beta, but finding it tough.

Playing as Spurs and the morale seems to be very fragile and sensitive.

• SI Staff

9. Regens are still poorly created - this has been a problem for many years.

Personally I feel we have made significant improvements with the newgens and the player progression over the last few years, so I'd be interested to hear what makes you feel like the newgens are poorly created ?

Personally I feel we have made significant improvements with the newgens and the player progression over the last few years, so I'd be interested to hear what makes you feel like the newgens are poorly created ?

I agree with you Riz, I played through 30+ years on FM13 and I thought the newgens were great. I actually find it hard playing with the real life players at times because I really enjoy having a world filled with newgens. I'm sure they can and will be improved every year but it's miles better than it used to be for sure.

I think the star ratings from coaches and scouts are dynamic and relative to your own players, and will change if your squad is strengthened or weakened. A striker who was rated 4 stars at the start of your game could be rated 3 stars later on, if you've bought better players in the meantime.

You need to pay attention to the text descriptions from the scouts/coaches as well. For example, a "good player for most Premier Division sides" is better than a "decent player", but a "leading player" is better than both of those, and a "star player" is even better.

How many stars they get on the rating depends on how good your own players are. Luis Suarez may only get 3 stars if you already have a squad full of players that are similar to his level, whereas he might get 5 stars, if you only have a squad of very average players. But he would probably be called a "star player" no matter the amount of stars.

Is probably just that I am a bit old school but this confuses me greatly. Personally I would prefer fixed scale rating along the lines of:

Poor - fair - good - very good - world class (all broken down to 5 stars, with half star increments that is 50 increments. With Ronaldo at one end of the scale and me at the other that should give enough coverage)

Agreed I find that regens in this version are better balanced, you used to find the perfect winger who couldn't cross, defensive midfielders who couldn't tackle and don't get me started on regen physical attributes. However I've found that in this current version they're so much more better balanced to the extent I've actually got 1 in my first team (season 3) as Arsenal and 2 on my bench. It always bothered me that the game refused to throw out quality ready made players however this appears to not be the case now.

Is probably just that I am a bit old school but this confuses me greatly. Personally I would prefer fixed scale rating along the lines of:

Poor - fair - good - very good - world class (all broken down to 5 stars, with half star increments that is 50 increments. With Ronaldo at one end of the scale and me at the other that should give enough coverage)

But you already have that with the text descriptions. It tells you what their approximate skill level is at relative to the different leagues (e.g. "good conference player", "decent premier division player", etc) - while the stars tell you their skill relative to your own squad.

I agree with you Riz, I played through 30+ years on FM13 and I thought the newgens were great. I actually find it hard playing with the real life players at times because I really enjoy having a world filled with newgens. I'm sure they can and will be improved every year but it's miles better than it used to be for sure.

I'm quite puzzled by this opinion, never knew there were people out there who like playing with imaginary players better than with real ones... However I'm sure that this opinion/taste is 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000.

In my opinion there were waaaay too many regens with abnormally high attributes in FM13. That is actually one of the biggest flaws the game had. I generally hate the regens, and would like the game to go as far to include even younger players than 15 year olds (dont know if thats legaly possible), because the the regens kill the game after a few years. After a while I just don't feel that I'm playing a realistic game with real people and I generally try to avoid signing them as much as possible.

And on top of that if there is so many of them with crazy attributes that's a nightmare. I hope FM 14 has less good regens than 13.

I'm quite puzzled by this opinion, never knew there were people out there who like playing with imaginary players better than with real ones... However I'm sure that this opinion/taste is 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000.

In my opinion there were waaaay too many regens with abnormally high attributes in FM13. That is actually one of the biggest flaws the game had. I generally hate the regens, and would like the game to go as far to include even younger players than 15 year olds (dont know if thats legaly possible), because the the regens kill the game after a few years. After a while I just don't feel that I'm playing a realistic game with real people and I generally try to avoid signing them as much as possible.

And on top of that if there is so many of them with crazy attributes that's a nightmare. I hope FM 14 has less good regens than 13.

IMO the majority prefer playing with regens. Moulding your players as they come through your club? Seeing their careers progress? If you don't appreciate that part of the game, you're missing out a lot but that's just my opinion. :)

I think the regen system on FM13 was excellent and my only recommendation on how to improve it on FM 15 would be to allow regens to have other family members in football, such as brothers or sons (when they retire for sons).

I also note in FM14 regens will now complain on social media.

When you're managing in 2060 (as i were on 13) and the world is full of retired regens, alongside 30 year old players for seperate teams who you'd come across time and time again during your career. I often scared myself being able to pretty much quote their career history without looking and always keep a keen interest on how their careers progress. Whether for the better or worse.

I imagine that's a database update, in fact, I'm pretty certain it is. That means you'd need to start a new game - database updates are not save game compatible.

Yeah that's what I thought. I have tried starting a completely new game. I notice that it is 14.0.3, but the database showing on the new game is still 14.0.0. There isn't any option to change it while setting up a new game. Was there actually a new database released?

Yeah that's what I thought. I have tried starting a completely new game. I notice that it is 14.0.3, but the database showing on the new game is still 14.0.0. There isn't any option to change it while setting up a new game. Was there actually a new database released?

Neins. There won't be a database update until January I don't believe.

I'm just looking forward for the updated beta tonight. I hope there's a changelist this time.

Still think theres an issue with contracts and players wanting to leave:

Playing as Workington in Skrill North - Media Expected 12th - finished 2nd. 8 First team players "arent interested in entering contract negotiations" even though they are happy and the club is overperforming.

Same save, 2nd season, same thing - despite not doing quite so well, still lots of players dont want to stay - even a player I bought in January. So hes only played for 5 months and has already had enough?

I could see a couple of players wanting to leave but its hard to build a cohesive team when nearly all of your First Team leaves every year....

My 2 gripes with Newgens in 2014 are the lack of PPMs and the lack of two-footed (or even remotely two footed players). I simmed to 2034 and I found that very few good players had any PPMs or had the weaker foot rated at fairly-strong or above.

My 2 gripes with Newgens in 2014 are the lack of PPMs and the lack of two-footed (or even remotely two footed players). I simmed to 2034 and I found that very few good players had any PPMs or had the weaker foot rated at fairly-strong or above.

PPM's are mostly developed through tutoring. & often don't come along till later on in their career.

Urm, as for having 'fairly strong or above' for a weaker foot... Well I think I'd call that being two footed. No-one is truly ambidextrous. Even Ronaldo, Messi & co will have a slightly stronger foot than the other.

Still think theres an issue with contracts and players wanting to leave:

Playing as Workington in Skrill North - Media Expected 12th - finished 2nd. 8 First team players "arent interested in entering contract negotiations" even though they are happy and the club is overperforming.

Same save, 2nd season, same thing - despite not doing quite so well, still lots of players dont want to stay - even a player I bought in January. So hes only played for 5 months and has already had enough?

I could see a couple of players wanting to leave but its hard to build a cohesive team when nearly all of your First Team leaves every year....

Real life Bromley at that level, 4 players who ended last season with us still here. This is a normal season, no particular change of finances or manager, just the usual turnover at level 6.

The game keeps making my single striker "mark specific player" and usually it is the opposition DMC. The thing is, I even disabled my AssMan's opposition instructions so no-one should be applying this player instruction to him.

I've had the exact same thing happen. I've also have my AssMan tell me that I don't have anyone marking the posts on corner kicks, when I do, in fact, have players marking the posts on corner kicks.

Just had an older player break his leg in a game and a media article pops up saying he might retire (see below)

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1047378331385435820/D55A43417E159EFC3A9E9C27F41D4D04DEC3F1CE/

In his profile, he says he thinking of becoming a scout when he retires. When you suggest a future role to an older player, the player sometimes says he can make himself available right away. Now I'd like to take this one stage further and suggest he retires due to injury but the club will retain him in his preferred non-playing role, i.e. as a Scout.

His contract expires at the end of the season (3 months) and I wasn't going to keep him on anyway, so the above suggestion may be a good fit for both parties.

PPM's are mostly developed through tutoring. & often don't come along till later on in their career.

Urm, as for having 'fairly strong or above' for a weaker foot... Well I think I'd call that being two footed. No-one is truly ambidextrous. Even Ronaldo, Messi & co will have a slightly stronger foot than the other.

I understand both points and took them into account. The problem is that it doesn't appear that AI managers are "teaching" PPMs to their players (at a high enough rate) to maintain a balance of PPMs similar to what is there in the starting database. In regards to the second point, perhaps I should have phrased in in reverse. Essentially, approximately 2/3rds of the top 50 or so players in the world in 2034 have their weaker foot rated at very weak or weak, which is definitely not the case in the starting database. The holy grail for me in FM for long term games is for the database at any future point to reflect as closely as possible, though with some realistic deviation, the starting database.

When clicking the filter to open, it closes when selecting a player? Why this change?

Im used to filter the squad when team-selecting. Its really frustrating doing this when the filter disappear when a player is selected. Then I have to click the filter button again to open the filter so I can filter the players!

Its so frustrating!!!

Please LET THE FILTERS STAY OPEN WHEN CLICKED DURING TEAM SELECTION!!!

LET THEM STAY OPEN UNTIL THEY ARE CLOSED BY PURPOSE!!!

Please let the filter STAY OPEN during team selection! Like ALWAYS BEFORE!!! Now it GO AWAY every time you select a player during team selection!

PLEASE... STARTING TO GO MENTAL AT MY LAPTOPMOUSE CLIKING THAT FILTER BUTTON TO OPEN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if this the case for most people but I really don't like how players want so much appearance money and unused sub money in contract negotiations?

I have only played as Arsenal so far so cant say if its the same with most clubs but here is an example

Sagna wants improved terms , he only has a year left so I say prove to me that you deserve a new contract , 1 month or so later I enter negotiations.

he was on 44k or so with 10k app and about 2k unused sub and first team player

he now wants rotation role with 55k wages , 22k app and 16k unused sub!

the wages he is asking is ok but 22k app and 16k unused sub! , why such a jump from his old terms?

this seems to be the case with all new signings wanting massive hikes on app/sub terms as well

[QUOTE=gmbrann;9132950]Please let the filter STAY OPEN during team selection! Like ALWAYS BEFORE!!! Now it GO AWAY every time you select a player during team selection!

PLEASE... STARTING TO GO MENTAL AT MY LAPTOPMOUSE CLIKING THAT FILTER BUTTON TO OPEN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im Stian and Im a friend of gmbrann. I must say I also have this problem.

Please let the filters stay open during team selection!

• SI Staff
I

I think the regen system on FM13 was excellent and my only recommendation on how to improve it on FM 15 would be to allow regens to have other family members in football, such as brothers or sons (when they retire for sons).

Newgens can have brothers (even twins) already in the game, it's been there a good while. If newgens turn into non-players and go on to become managers, they can have sons appearing in the game as well.

Too many immediate replies from opposition when you score, regardless of whether or not you change tactic. So far, I see about 3 positives vs 9 or 10 serious negatives in FM14. Hope others are enjoying this beta more than I am.

Archived