Sports Interactive Community

Only rage-quit.

Like the other night when I lost 4-0 to Toulouse, missing 312849328756732 easy looking chances. How I never scored I do not know. Replayed and lost 3-1, fair enough.

maybe those two players are really on non-contract terms? It's not impossible afaik for a pro club to sign players on non-contract. Wasn't Hargreaves on a non-contract at Man City? (Although I don't think that was the case in-game).

No, SI have confirmed that Professional clubs do not sign non contract players in the game - hence why I as there manager cannot - so therefore these two players on non-contract terms must be an error in the database

fair enough then, sort of. But they may still be non-contract irl, SI often make exceptions to their own rules so the game can mimic reality at the start.

I think that every player should enjoy the game to the max. If this includes cheating - there is nothing wrong, as long as it is fun for you..

I have a tendency to misclick my team talks. When I do, I immediately close the game and reload.

I can't cheat at the game as feel too guilty.

I have a current dilemma - managing Stockport on the Beta who are a Professional Club and cannot sign non-contract players. The database shows 2 players who are non-contract in the squad I inherited. This is obviosuly an error on SI's part.

I have spent 4 days working out tactics, scouting players etc... putting in alot of leg work and signed some loan players on no salary to build the squad up. However I know my wages of my squad should be 50-60k more. I am already 12k over my budget.

Do I restart once the game is fully live and edit the database to show these two errors of non contract players as full time salaried staff or carry on knowing that my salary should be £50k higher than what it is.

If I kept going would it be classed as cheating and how can you justify it.

That is not a data error - these players are on non contract terms in real life. Not sure how the game handles non contract terms, but there is no reason irl why a professional club (which we are not any more btw) cannot sign players on non contract. We did it when we were in the Football League, so it's not a Pro/Semi Pro thing either.

I cheat at FM. But that is because I mostly use FM to learn more about soccer/football and I like to have more control. I only play in the single player part of it and I do not brag about accomplishments.

Everyone cheats in some small way... I havent cheated in the last couple of fm's though once i became one with dafuge's challenge.

before that, I always always cheated. it was always one cheat which would have a massive impact into my career as a manager throughout the WHOLE game. I would register my main manager in one of the lower teams in blue square, then add a fiction manager from the richest club (usually chelsea before man city). I make the richest manager buy my worst player for 50m, when the transfer goes through then i retire the manager and continue my game with a blue square team 50mil rich and first things first start fixing ammenities.

Horrible cheat i know

That is not a data error - these players are on non contract terms in real life. Not sure how the game handles non contract terms, but there is no reason irl why a professional club (which we are not any more btw) cannot sign players on non contract. We did it when we were in the Football League, so it's not a Pro/Semi Pro thing either.

Thanks for clearing that up - In the game Stockport cannot sign non-contract players - however there are two in the squad at the start in the database - which you have said is correct.

The data error is that the game has Stockport as a Professional club and in game terms SI have said that only semi professional clubs can sign non - contract players. I have experimented in the game and this is correct.

So in the editor I need to correct this and put Stockport as Semi Professional as you state that the club has gone from professional to semi professiona, so that the club can sign non - contract players. Ill also log it in the bugs section.

Not anymore... when I was younger definately used to reload after poor results. But now, no reloading and all my own tactics and scouting.

Used to when I was a lot younger but now I like it to be as realistic as possible although I do use FMRTE once at the start of every game to change my age to the right age :D

Every time I start a new save I tell myself not to use genie scout. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I dont (I just want to know that injury proneness really :(). I used fmrte once in fm12 but it got out of hand fast. I made my whole team giants (9 feet or so) with the best stats just to see how it would look in 3d. Think I quit fm12 after that and waited til 13.

I edit the database a bit to reflect the real world for the tippe league because all things are not always correct there,

and i check CA and PA in real time to keep an eye on my players progress and scout new players.

YES. I add a new manager for the difficult games. But that wont be needed anymore once we have the editor as I will most likely use that to my advantage (player fitness wise).

The only cheat I use is the occasional ragequit-and-reload. Although I don't save before each match, so I often lose more than one game when this happens - sometimes to my detriment. I don't replay "re-set" games this way in order to get a better result although the reason for the rage-quit is usually an absolutely terrible match that I cannot explain. I try again to see if I can discern wth happened, and usually continue even with a loss. It is also a big risk because if I lose two or more games because of the re-set, my inclination to continue the save gets a kick in the nuts. Usually I take a little break and then return to the game, but a corrupted savegame and then reverting to a earlier rolling save losing four or more games has killed a savegame for me in the past.

I use FMRTE to boost the AI, though, and I do add new managers to AI clubs but that is to buy them a better team. Sometimes I buy one of my own players at base value while doing so, but usually I stay away. I also boost managers for the same reason.

I remember last year I had my first ever go with the editor, not for a serious save but just to see what it felt like to have loads of money with a lower league team.

Man what a lot of work it is, I gave Tonbridge something like 40 million and I thought that would be that, I had no idea it would change so much in the game.

The board wanted to win the league, they wanted to reach the semi-final of the FA cup etc etc.

I had no idea I would have to change all the board things as well, I only gave the team money, I never changed their rep so could only attract the same level of player I would with a normal game.

I never made it to the first pre-season game, lesson learned.

Well, I don't know if this is cheat or not. Before every match, I save the game (save A) then after the match I save it on different save (save B). If I lost, I reload the save A and do adjustment until I know how to win that match. Then I reload save B and continue the game with the knowledge I got from reloading the save A

I cheat all the time.

My favourite aspect of the game is building a club up to be the best in the world. I like building a squad, a new stadium, facilities etc - I like the summer periods more than the season itself sometimes. I like hunting for those new players, and developing youngsters into top players.

But I get frustrated in the first couple of seasons. I just want to break into the top 4 and have a bit of a transfer budget a bit quicker. So I reload a few games to get a few better results, mostly in that first season.

Then later down the line I don't cheat, even when doing badly. I then use Genie Scout as scouting takes far too long to find those gems, and when the quality of the regens is lacking the further into the game you go it annoys me when I cant build a world class squad even with the resources to do so.

I wouldn't play the game as much without doing these. I enjoy building my club up more than actually winning things in the end.

I wonder if the FML experiment has left a bit of a negative after-effect on the game, or people's attitude to it?

'Gaming' FML was horribly easy, and actually seemed to be the object of the game, as it was so 'rank' obsessed.

The Match engine had corner bugs and couldn't cope with flooding the midfield or playing three up front.

Anyone playing a 4-4-2 or the like in the early match engines just got slaughtered outright.

Equally, players tailored to exploit these holes in the ME were available much cheaper than the supposedly 'world class' players,

so the game polarised rapidly between those people playing the game 'at face value' and those doing what was required to win.

With this mentality of 'win at all costs' established, it was inevitable that people would move onto 'harder' stuff, and it became

increasingly obvious that the gameworlds were rife with cartels, inflating prices and fixing competitions.

Multiple accounts were the thing which really broke the game beyond all fixing. It was obvious that some people ran multiple teams

in the same gameworld from the very beginning, but the trial accounts enabled cheating on a scale which the mods just could not

begin to cope with.

In the advent of another multiplayer version of FM, I think serious thought would have to be given to tackling this.

Never cheat, never look for wonderkids on forums or good player guides.

All my own work....

I did know a guy who would find all the wonderkids, sign them and then go on holiday and let the assistant manager play the whole season and that was how he played the game. Cant cheat much more than that, what on earth is the point?

Never cheat, never look for wonderkids on forums or good player guides.

All my own work....

I did know a guy who would find all the wonderkids, sign them and then go on holiday and let the assistant manager play the whole season and that was how he played the game. Cant cheat much more than that, what on earth is the point?

When you say "find the wonderkids" do you mean using Genie Scout or similar? I would agree that that is cheating, but what's wrong with letting your assistant play the whole season? Towards the end of FM13 I did that on some seasons, just stopping at the big Champions League games.

I have reloaded in the past, but not since I started posting career updates - just isn't much point then. I also edited the youth facilities for a one-club save to finish off my FM13 time so that I could play a long term game that may pique my interest.

Not sure if it's a cheat or not but I've just added a really good version of myself to the database to boost my options for my upcoming Scotland save (probably going to be my last save on FM2012 as I've pre-ordered 2014 so I just thought I'd have a little laugh).

Absolutely not. Where's the sense of achievement if you cheated?

I used to 'cheat' on FM by doing rage-quits, but now I have realized that win, lose or draw, it's all part and parcel of football. Besides, it's only a game and there is no need to get angry over it - life is too precious to fume over a game. So I accept whatever results my team get, though I may still fill a tad unhappy when my team plays badly.

I devise my own tactics, do my own scouting and never used Genie Scout.

A few weeks before the 2014 Beta, I was on my Career save and had been managing Barcelona for 3 seasons (Had dominated with Hull City up until then) and since 2014 was coming I pumped about 500m into the Icelandic teams, using Barcelona's huge transfer budget, to see my nations raise to fame and applied to one of the teams in the Division. All the teams got equal amount of cash so I didn't really have the upper hand when taking over. But I just find the Icelandic league so boring! Gave up after 2 seasons and half way into the third and went to play a little FM14 and then gave up on the ME.

Other than that I've stopped using real-time editors and scout programs years ago.

I prefer to discover my own players and make my own mistakes in the transfer market rather than sign wonderkids or the same 4/5 players everyone seems to be signing etc. I don't reload. I only use the editor to correct data issues. I don't download tactics.

Much less than I used to (of the reload variety). Now I only do it when I get really, really annoyed at something.

For an example of how much I'm not cheating compared to how I used to, I managed to alienate my best striker prospect (Ismahil Akinade) because I didn't want to put him on the first team when he complained to me, and when I suggested loaning him out he flipped out (probably justifiably, tbh). This was around January. What I would have done in the past is reload. This time I just went with it, and started actually playing him on the first team in the hopes that he would come around eventually. To my great horror, he instantly became one of my best players.

FINALLY, on the same day of our youth intake in March, he decided that maybe I wasn't such a bad dude, and signed a new contract. Commence the well-earned fistpumps on my part.

Anyway, I never use editors or db changes or outside scouting tools & resources. Scouting and working the market is the most fun part of the game to me, the matches are almost secondary. So I'm far more committed to playing "clean" in regards to scouting, contract negotiations, and building my team, than the rest of the game. I do still save before asking my board for stuff because they're a bunch of nitwits and it takes too long for dialogue options to reset.

I usually steer clear of editors and what not. But with my current FM14 Save I'm having an internal conflict.

I was playing with Reading and come to November I was doing terrible. The monthly meeting had come around and the board said they were slightly disappointed and wanted to have a meeting.

I click the meeting button and it brings me to the club overview, no meeting. I tried to do everything to have the meeting or continue but nothing would work. I was stuck. I decided to Holiday for 1 day to get past the screen and BAM! Sacked for not attending the meeting. Now, I saw this as a technical error. So I thought I'd reload. Sadly my last save was in August where I obviously wasn't quite as badly off. I decided to play on from there and ended up getting promoted through the playoffs.

It feels like cheating because I didn't restart the game. I feel like I had a right to reload because it was a bug, not something I did. If I had gone into the meeting I may have stayed and got a change of luck, or I could have been sacked. Who knows.

It's interesting reading through the 'challenge' threads thinking about this stuff.

I can't shake the impression that a lot of people are playing the game almost as follows:

Play it straight up until a critical point (for example a playoff game, or a youth intake)

Reload until the desired result is achieved.

Now that I put it like that, I realise thats exactly how I've played the game in the past :eek:

Its great hearing all your confessions/affirmations, I think it will help me knock it on the head :thup:

It's interesting reading through the 'challenge' threads thinking about this stuff.

I can't shake the impression that a lot of people are playing the game almost as follows:

Play it straight up until a critical point (for example a playoff game, or a youth intake)

Reload until the desired result is achieved.

Now that I put it like that, I realise thats exactly how I've played the game in the past :eek:

Its great hearing all your confessions/affirmations, I think it will help me knock it on the head :thup:

Again in that same save game, I had the last game of the season where I could have reloaded. It was last game of the season before playoffs and I was placed in third.

I needed not only a win but to score two more goals than Leicester in 2nd who I was tied with on points.

I ended up winning 2-1 so I was resigned to playoffs. Now some would reload, where I see it as the roll of the dice. That's where I feel that I am not a cheater in that save game. At least I tell myself that lol

I still cheat to this day, some intentionally, some unintentionally.

For instance I wanted to hire Eric Steel as U21's manager, but the board blocked it, due to no wage budget, so I added a new manager brought a youth for a few hundred thousand, and signed Steel.

I save just before every game, as my game has a tendency to crash just after a game, and lets say I just won, then the game crashed, I would keep loading till I got a similar result to the game before it crashed.

i used to reload saves with all the ******** fm13 bugs that literally cost me games. this release has been the most bug free since i started playing this game, and i just go along with it now. i dont know whether its me growing up or just having a relatively bug free game im enjoying it more, which means even the losses i can now blame on myself rather than another bug

i do occasionally still encounter some weirdness and just end task, but its really rare compared to last year or year before

I can only remember choosing to cheat once and that was when i was managing southampton for 5seasons and started having a bad season and they fired me so i reverted back to a previous autosave and played again and didnt get sacked.

At the end of the day its a game, play it however youre most going to enjoy it.

I'm a habitual rage quitter. If it's fair play (a poor back pass, set piece goal), I can usually temper my frustrations. When it's a player idiocy thing, like my RB, RW, and DM all tracking the ball carrier and abandoning their actual assignment, I'm more likely to pull an Alt+F4.

I've gotten more into the habit of saving immediately after each result.

I'm a habitual rage quitter. If it's fair play (a poor back pass, set piece goal), I can usually temper my frustrations. When it's a player idiocy thing, like my RB, RW, and DM all tracking the ball carrier and abandoning their actual assignment, I'm more likely to pull an Alt+F4.

I've gotten more into the habit of saving immediately after each result.

I've already done one of those in FM14, my keeper was kinda walking out of the goal dribbling the ball, and for some godforsaken reason one of my central defenders was walking right next to him. The defender decides to casually saunter in front of the keeper, who decides it was a good time to launch one down the pitch. It ricohets off the back of the defender's head, and in a beautiful, rainbow-like arc, floats gently into my own goal.

Fastest. Quit. To. Desktop. Ever.

I wish I had recorded it, the stupidity of the moment was almost inspiring, in a completely horrible kind of way.

When I was younger I did the whole add another manager and fine a player until he joins my club. But that completely ruined the game for me. I did at one point use genie scout, which only allowed me to view the details but also after a while that also made games boring. I haven't really touched anything to cheat in recent times but I did go out of my way a month or so back to go through all my fm13 saves and view the ca/pa of my players just out of curiosity as I had stopped playing it.

I think we would all agree that ultimately 'beating' FM becomes a hollow victory if you 'cheat.'

I reject your premis. I've been cheating like heck for a decade now and I've never felt a sense of hollow victory. Starting as a non-league manager, in those ten years I've never got past League Two. I use the pre-game editor, Genie and FMRTE to "cheat" - not to make my career easier, but to set me specific challenges that keep me more engrossed in my save for the long haul.

My general pattern is that I create my own club and put it in the lowest playable division. I populate it with youths aged from 14-17. I give the club good training facilities and top coaching along with a background sugar daddy to keep us solvent. I give the players high PA, loyalty and professionalism to help them develop and have them love the club and chairman to keep them from wanting away. I use the ingame editor to increase PA/loyalty/prof in new recruits.

How this plays out is that my squad are always the shortest and weakest in the division, with each player lacking stamina and being extremely inconsistent. I have to therefore devise tactics and rotate the players to manage these handicaps. The result is that I never actually achieve much 'success', but I get to know my boys as I nurture them over the years. That is my version of "cheating" and I make no apologies for it.

LLM sounds like a religious cult. Too many rules for me. :cool:

The SI forum is a cult; however, anyone can manage a lower/lowest league club in any way they see fit (just stay away from those grumpy maniacs :p )

I sometimes used to reload but that didn't feel as good when I won things so I don't do it anyone

I've reloaded a couple of games in the FM14 beta where I've lost games due to ridiculous bugs like the defending/tackling bug, rather than being outplayed, but these haven't been that common.

It's something I've 'grown out of' for the most part. It can be kind of fun seeing what happens in ridiculous situations, but for serious long-term play I try to keep it to a minimum.

I do also sometimes save and reload when handing contract negotiations because you can occasionally "back someone into a corner" ridiculously easily, when in the real world you'd have a few more options. There's a difference between a mistake I've made, and trying to deal with game limitations that aren't particularly realistic.

I can't cheat at the game as feel too guilty.

I have a current dilemma - managing Stockport on the Beta who are a Professional Club and cannot sign non-contract players. The database shows 2 players who are non-contract in the squad I inherited. This is obviosuly an error on SI's part.

I have spent 4 days working out tactics, scouting players etc... putting in alot of leg work and signed some loan players on no salary to build the squad up. However I know my wages of my squad should be 50-60k more. I am already 12k over my budget.

Do I restart once the game is fully live and edit the database to show these two errors of non contract players as full time salaried staff or carry on knowing that my salary should be £50k higher than what it is.

If I kept going would it be classed as cheating and how can you justify it.

Here's an idea, why don't you just go another team? Either that or just play the game as is? Will you still be banging on about realism to SI when you've got Stockport playing in the Champions League?

I usually maintain two saves, one a reloading + genie cheat save, the other a non cheating save. I enjoy both for completely different reasons.

From this perspective, any player recommendations, knowledge from other FM games or even from RL is forbidden.

To me this is just absolutely ridiculous and crazy, I mean how can you erase any knowledge from past FM games, or real life knowledge? Our brains don't work like computers, there's no delete button. To spend days, weeks even months of game time playing past FM games, or watching players in real life and not use that to help you in a game, for me is just stupid.

On cheating, in a sense I think it says something about what kind of person you are, people who excessively cheat like to take the easiest and quickest road to success, regardless of morals, people who don't are obviously more disciplined, like to earn and work hard for what they do and frown upon people who cheat their way to the top. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle, I try to keep the cheating to a minimum, because it will taste oh soo sweeter when you achieve something without cheating. I sometimes use a reload, when my star player get's injured for 6 months, or a lose that makes absolutely no sense but I like to do all my scouting and tactics through trail and error instead of using sites to help me. I think I enjoy online games more than singleplayer games though, it removes the temptation to cheat and reload, all I have is my shortlist and tactics.

I used to do it when i was younger (i feel old while saying this even though i'm 24 :))) but now i refrain from it, because from my past experiences when i did it i didnt have the same passion about the game afterwards.

The only time i felt good about it was in FM 13 when i saved before my 2nd UCL final, lost the 1st one, and i had a bad feeling about it, went to lose it from 2-0 up, missing a penalty and being equalised in '89 and '90+3, then at penalties i had 2-0 and had to score at least 1 more to win it, missed both, and in the end i lost it, i was managing Tottenham, this was the last time i recall going mad at the game, loaded again and won it 4-0, i was playing against Juventus, and felt really good about it, like justice has been done :))

I normally have 2 games on the go:

- One pure.

- One where I shamelessly cheat.

My typical methods of cheating are to give Newcastle a ton of money, top of the line training facilties, a brilliant back room staff and 4 youth players with max potential (1 GK, 1 DC, 1 M/AM RLC and 1 ST) based off of myself and my flatmates from uni. I used to use a scouter tool as well to find the best regens but stopped doing that a few years ago as I could do almost as well with a decent scouting regime.

I only start the cheating game after I've done a couple of pure games and the youth players only have maxed out PA not CA, they need to develope for a few seasons first. This has lead to some interesting situations where one or more of them didn't develope that well due to poor loans or injuries (or all of them the time I messed up setting how injury prone they were). A couple of years ago my star striker broke his foot and then broke his leg in his 3rd game back, out for an entire season and that just crippled him, never reached his potential.

I have save scummed a couple of times but only when I felt justified, namely when I'd already played and won the match but lost the result due to a crash or power cut before an autosave, so I'll reload till I get the result (or one close) to how it happened the first time.

My only cheat comes from rage-quitting. Did it a lot in FM13 because of awful ME. Plus those really annoying injuries and knock outs. 2-3 guys lost 50% of their condition practically every game and it made gaming experience really frustrating.

Anyway, this year ME seems to be much better. Although players inability to score in 1v1 situations is really pushing my boundaries again :)

To me this is just absolutely ridiculous and crazy, I mean how can you erase any knowledge from past FM games, or real life knowledge? Our brains don't work like computers, there's no delete button. To spend days, weeks even months of game time playing past FM games, or watching players in real life and not use that to help you in a game, for me is just stupid.

This is exactly what I don't understand about LLM. But they obviously enjoy playing the game that way, so fair play to them. I really really don't get it though.

I used to cheat a bit when I was younger like others, by taking over a second team and spending their entire budget on my rubbish youngsters.

I never reload the game now, no matter what happens. I'm currently in a situation where all of my central defenders are injured for a few weeks at least, and when I loaned a couple more central defenders to get me through it, one of them decided to get sent off for violent conduct on his debut too. It's all part of the game though, and I'd much rather struggle on through it than reload and have my defenders fit again. Face it, you may as well use a real time editor and admit you're cheating at that point.

Nowadays the only thing I do that many might consider cheating is occasionally using uploaded tactics as a base for my own tactics in game. However, with ambiguous sliders no longer being a part of FM, I may not be doing that anymore either.

I don't cheat

but eventually you learn how to exploit the match engine

you make more of the transfer market, and can make your budget go further, than the AI managers

so in a way...I suppose if you are just patient and stick at it....that s the ultimate cheat