The best Skrill North/South club to start with?

Thanks for the assistance but too late lol. I went with Eastleigh shortly after making this thread. Pretty solid club. When are a strong Skrill-South club. Wanted to start with a very bottom Skrill team but I am liking this so far.

I'm just mucking about with Gosport Borough to get a feel of things. Not the greatest squad!

Ya my ultimate plan, which I won't approach until the full game comes out, is to take the very bottom of the bottom club and stick with them my entire career and work their way up. Pretty much take a club from the skrill north/south that is projected from the start of the game to finish towards the bottom of the league and who also has one of the lowest club values.

Ya my ultimate plan, which I won't approach until the full game comes out, is to take the very bottom of the bottom club and stick with them my entire career and work their way up. Pretty much take a club from the skrill north/south that is projected from the start of the game to finish towards the bottom of the league and who also has one of the lowest club values.

You should take a look at dafuge's challenge - control a team promoted into the Skrill N/S at the end of the first season and take them to Premier and CL glory.

Altrincham have a pretty good squad, they have a very good striker which is vital, unfortunately for me he got injured for 4 months just before the first game of the season.

I am halfway through the season and 12 points clear, of course I added a couple of players and brought in a few on loan.

Also a good thing with picking Altrincham is they have Man Utd as a parent team, not a lot of use now but after a couple of promotions you should be able to get a few of their under 18s/21s in on loan which will make your task a bit easier.

You should take a look at dafuge's challenge - control a team promoted into the Skrill N/S at the end of the first season and take them to Premier and CL glory.

Never thought about this. Seems really interesting. So for the first year just remain unemployed and wait til the end of the season take over one of the teams that gets promoted into the skrill north/south? Definitely doing that.

The problem with doing this - as I discovered with Worcester in FM12 - is that the club never scales with its success. I was consistently top 4 in the PL and getting to the latter CL stages but was only getting 11k through the gates every week.

Unless they've fixed that since then? Anyone know?

The problem with doing this - as I discovered with Worcester in FM12 - is that the club never scales with its success. I was consistently top 4 in the PL and getting to the latter CL stages but was only getting 11k through the gates every week.

Unless they've fixed that since then? Anyone know?

There is a rule written in the game that states that a new stadium can not be built unless the old one has been in use for at leat 25 years

There is a rule written in the game that states that a new stadium can not be built unless the old one has been in use for at leat 25 years

It's 20 years.

However yes the fanbase/sponsors/rep never quite seems to grow as big as it should, you can win 4-5 PL titles and a few CL's and the club is still only probably on par with say a mid table prem team in terms of sponsorship and fanbase.

It's 20 years.

However yes the fanbase/sponsors/rep never quite seems to grow as big as it should, you can win 4-5 PL titles and a few CL's and the club is still only probably on par with say a mid table prem team in terms of sponsorship and fanbase.

When Blackburn won the Premier League they weren't having attendances in 40-50k mark? It takes time to build a team to be one of the biggest in the world

Surely you would need an entire generation of fans to pass while your at the top of the game to get the massive gates the established teams get?

Say you pick your team at school, I was 8 when I attached myself to Everton. Now if Marine suddenly shot to fame I wouldnt switch teams, but I wouldnt be supprised if my daughter started supporting the local team that was now bigger than daddys team.

I would think 20 years at the top and you would see a dramatic increase in supporters as you will see the kids that would have picked the Man Uniteds, Arsenals, Chelseas, etc would be interested in your little Worcester Town.

Just my take on it

Surely you would need an entire generation of fans to pass while your at the top of the game to get the massive gates the established teams get?

Say you pick your team at school, I was 8 when I attached myself to Everton. Now if Marine suddenly shot to fame I wouldnt switch teams, but I wouldnt be supprised if my daughter started supporting the local team that was now bigger than daddys team.

I would think 20 years at the top and you would see a dramatic increase in supporters as you will see the kids that would have picked the Man Uniteds, Arsenals, Chelseas, etc would be interested in your little Worcester Town.

Just my take on it

Agree with all that

I always create my own team and players based on myself and friends and start off in the Skrill South. FM is a game after all and don't tell me you don't want to score the winning goal in a cup final or be picked for your country. It adds a whole new level of enjoyment from FM for me !

Never thought about this. Seems really interesting. So for the first year just remain unemployed and wait til the end of the season take over one of the teams that gets promoted into the skrill north/south? Definitely doing that.

Yeah, create a filler manager for the first year (Holiday Man or something stupid), holiday to the day before the new season and save. Then holiday for one day and see who gets promoted, create a new manager (yourself) and take over the team you want, then retire Holiday Man. If you don't like the teams, reload the save and holiday for one day again to change the teams.

If you go to the CSE area, you can do the same challenge anywhere in the world (Big Euro, Gundo's Euro adventure, Asia and Africa or the Americas) with a great community of guys.

I always create my own team and players based on myself and friends and start off in the Skrill South. FM is a game after all and don't tell me you don't want to score the winning goal in a cup final or be picked for your country. It adds a whole new level of enjoyment from FM for me !

That's exactly what I do. However, for the beta I'm trialling Inverness Caley Thistle. I try things out with a decent team in the beta/demo cos if you start with a semi-pro non-league side, how can you tell what's a bug and what's down to the players being utterly pants?! Soon as the full game is out boom! I'm into the editor.

I started the beta with Leamington as they are predicted bottom. It's been a good challenge and loving it so far although I haven't played as them since the 14.0.3 patch. Cannot wait to start my career save!

To test if my ideas for tactical shape will work at the top, I started a game as Man Utd. I normally like the old 442 but 4231 really seems the way to go this year. So much versatility.

I'm doing a career with Altrincham - a couple of questions:

1) As a part time club am I right in thinking I'm not allowed to offer full time contracts? I have to hope that financial we get secure enough and the Board will take that decision?

2) At the end of season 1 all my players are out of contract. It looks like I can only offer 1 or 2 year contracts anyway. However, I'm not able to offer anyone a new contract. Literally ALL my team leave the club, despite my being promoted. Most of them don't want to resign with me so I have to get in a whole new 17 players. Doesn't seem very realistic, do you think this was just my fault for spending too much on salaries in year. Seems a bit inflexible with a few days after them leaving I have my wage budget again, and the club gets it's new sponsorship etc and we could have afforded to have kept them. Oh well, was only Darren Reeves who was any good anyway.

I'm doing a career with Altrincham - a couple of questions:

1) As a part time club am I right in thinking I'm not allowed to offer full time contracts? I have to hope that financial we get secure enough and the Board will take that decision?

2) At the end of season 1 all my players are out of contract. It looks like I can only offer 1 or 2 year contracts anyway. However, I'm not able to offer anyone a new contract. Literally ALL my team leave the club, despite my being promoted. Most of them don't want to resign with me so I have to get in a whole new 17 players. Doesn't seem very realistic, do you think this was just my fault for spending too much on salaries in year. Seems a bit inflexible with a few days after them leaving I have my wage budget again, and the club gets it's new sponsorship etc and we could have afforded to have kept them. Oh well, was only Darren Reeves who was any good anyway.

I am just about to begin season 2 with Altrincham, I managed to keep I think 9 players from season 1, that is including the 3 or 4 I had already signed for my first season, there is actually a few good players in that team. Clee on the left wing won the leagues player of the year last season, also a few others that will do very well in the Skrill Premiership.

Anyway started with 9 players and no staff for season 2, took me hours to get the staff in and then the players in, then my saved game would not load so I had to do most of it all over again, happy days.

The club will not go pro until it goes into Division 2 I don't think.

I just took over Staines. On the second day, even though I'd adjusted the staff responsibilities to stop it happening, twelve of the under 18 squad get released. Most of them were 5 star potential. This has happened on three saves. It's getting on my tits.

Staines spanked me 4 times in the first season including a 5-0 in the play-offs :(

I'm Leamington and Altrincham did that to me in the first season. Beat me in both league fixtures 3-0, then 4-2 and 3-1 in the playoffs.

I also had an epic Dorchester Town save on FM13 so would recommend them too.

What the hell is Skrill anyway? I've lived in the US for a decade and have never heard of them. The name sounds like it should be either a sci-fi/fantasy movie, a fish food, or a chewing tobacco.

It's the new(ish) name for Moneybookers ewallet

Hate it myself - will change it to Conference Premier/North/South in the editor

Some time ago when I got into the series, I, despite being an American, decided I wanted to play in the English leagues. For, y'know, obvious reasons. I was frankly never really a fan of soccer (as previously mentioned, I'm American, so I kinda have to call it soccer because I'm also a big fan of American football and to call them the same thing just feels weird), I just wanted to find a good sports sim, because the only good one I had found to that point was the PCM series (I'm a big fan of cycling), and I was kinda tired of that. I had no rooting interest in soccer whatsoever, excepting the US national team. Ended up taking the reins at Eastleigh. And then I never left.

I am now an Eastleigh fan, because of Football Manager.

Join me!

Some time ago when I got into the series, I, despite being an American, decided I wanted to play in the English leagues. For, y'know, obvious reasons. I was frankly never really a fan of soccer (as previously mentioned, I'm American, so I kinda have to call it soccer because I'm also a big fan of American football and to call them the same thing just feels weird), I just wanted to find a good sports sim, because the only good one I had found to that point was the PCM series (I'm a big fan of cycling), and I was kinda tired of that. I had no rooting interest in soccer whatsoever, excepting the US national team. Ended up taking the reins at Eastleigh. And then I never left.

Join me!

On a related note.

I seem to remember there was a 'Dorchester town fans Scandanavia' group on Facebook, who discovered the club and became fans through playing football manager.

I wonder how many other people(Especially people who don't live in Britain) have started following Non-leauge teams through playing football manager, expect there's quite a few out there.

I wonder how many other people(Especially people who don't live in Britain) have started following Non-leauge teams through playing football manager, expect there's quite a few out there

I've got a friend in the US who is now a fan of my village team in level 11 leagues - got him interested in FM and just waiting for the demo so he can have a go

Will be interested in who he picks :D

Concord rangers......... It's the hardest team I've seen. Have 20 seasonticket holders.. Haven't won a game yet...

(I use to get the teams at least to championship, but I don't think this will have the chance. Probably won't get a good stadium later on. Only have 1400 seats

Join me!

Another American here, started up a lower-league Scotland database this year (FM 2013), randomly picked Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic (Sean Connery once played for them), worked them up to the SPL, won the Champions League with them, started keeping up with them through their website (although it's notoriously slow in keeping things updated), ended up buying one of their home jerseys off eBay. Red/white hoops, it makes me look like a fat "Where's Waldo?", maybe it'll motivate me to lose 20 pounds.

I started with Concord Rangers, they are 100% the hardest Skrill South team.

They are the least valuable at 75k, have the smallest stadium of less than 1.5k and are predicted to finish 20th.

The team is crap aside from Goodacre and Stokes. In my first season we valiantly survived relegation with a 7 game unbeaten run towards the end and stated up by six points. Of my 19 players 15 left and I was left with the above two and this 15 "wonder kid". Of my 3k wage budget they are about half but they are the core, Captain Stokes, the solid defender and 25 goal a season 16 year old striker. The rest of my team are from my new intake of youth players and free agent with £5 ow contracts.

To add to the horror the stadium doesn't comply with league rules and we were forced to increase its size, as a result we are in 150k worth of debt and are surviving just because of our cup run, I am in the second round of the FA cup in season 2 and the FA trophy round 4.

Trust me it is very hard and fun. The combination of 22 (yes I won over 2 more) season ticket holders, the debt, the fact they have a poor squad and teams like Eastleigh destroying morale it is hard. I hope to actually make a promotion push in season 3

• 1 month later...

I will always start with my home town Stockport County but obviously since they've been downhill ever since I don't think I'll try and bring them up but it is possible to get them up IF you are willing to playing FM for about 3 or 4 months getting them up :rolleyes: but I've not got the patience to get them up but I might get them up if I'm unemployed then get another team up and then see where they are.

Sutton United is the only option. Managing Eastleigh feels like cheating with their huge budgets and Fleetwood / Strevens. Way too boring. :D

That said, getting Slabber and Taylor to score is something of an impossibility now. I remember in the beta they both used to bang in 25+ a season.

Archived