Sports Interactive Community
bubunabu

FM14: West Ham United - Come on you Irons!

The wages we pay to average players is actually disgusting. Carroll isn't worth 70k a week, Downing isn't worth half of 50k a week and Diarra isn't worth whatever he was on.

Well the club relegated in my random save in Championship so I thought it might be some fun to rebuild the squad. It was really hard to offload most of the players, but eventually managed to get rid of the deadwood. Currently the biggest wage is Carroll's 3,200,000 p/y.

Well the club relegated in my random save in Championship so I thought it might be some fun to rebuild the squad. It was really hard to offload most of the players, but eventually managed to get rid of the deadwood. Currently the biggest wage is Carroll's 3,200,000 p/y.

Is that roughly 60k a week? I've heard that West Ham gets relegated by the AI in most saves .. says a lot about our squad.

Well Carroll had a bigger wage but it dropped with about 10% after relegation. I kept him hoping that he might rape Championship defenders, but he's useless. Rodrigo from Barcelona scored me 11 goals in 13 matches.

First game I started I couldn't for the life of me understand being unable to sell anyone... yea I switched off the T window by mistake... what an idiot... restarting as we speak.

Well Carroll had a bigger wage but it dropped with about 10% after relegation. I kept him hoping that he might rape Championship defenders, but he's useless. Rodrigo from Barcelona scored me 11 goals in 13 matches.

That's strange, his physicality should be dominating the Championship. I think any style other than hoof ball (or whatever PSG are playing) won't get him scoring.

First game I started I couldn't for the life of me understand being unable to sell anyone... yea I switched off the T window by mistake... what an idiot... restarting as we speak.

We have all been there. I once ticked the option to change all the players names, and couldn't work out why Noble and Tomkins weren't in my side.

Yeah definitely because I sold the high wages players. Remember I am in the second season as I took over a relegated West Ham side, so I am playing in Championship. The team:

GK - Henderson, Siegrist (got him on free, he's 4,5 stars rated).

LB - Cresswell (got him from a relegated Ipswich side for 3m), Potts (back-up).

CB - Reid (wanted to leave, after he submitted a transfer request in the first season, but he decided to stay), Coates (2m bargain from Liverpool, rated 4,5 stars), Nielsen (Danish, got him for free for back-up, he's rated 3 stars), Souttar (youngster from Dundee, potential to become good/leading Premier League defender).

RB - Byram (4,5m from Leeds), O'Brien (back-up).

DM - Hyam (from relegated Ipswich, got him for around 2m), Coquelin (on loan from Arsenal).

CM - Noble (raped almost every defence, got like 5 goals and 8 assists in 15 matches), Ledley (he was at the club before I took charge, I decided he may stay), Nolan (he's got good stats, except physical, but I am going to sell him in January), Jhon Cley (Brazilian playmaker, 20 years old, rated four stars), Morrison.

AML - Mackay-Steven (1.5 from Dundee Utd), Nieto (brought from Barcelona for back-up, he's 4 stars but put in good performances, enough to keep Mackay-Steven out of the team).

AMR - Cuenca (on loan from Barcelona).

ST - Carroll (big wages, thought he might any defence in Championship, but he's been average when I played him), Rodrigo (on loan from Barcelona, a beast, but somewhat inconsistent, although he scored 11 goals in 13 games, he'd bag a hat-trick, then won't score for three matches in row. He's on 3 months loan and I've paid 1m as monthly fee, so I might get him again on loan for another 3 months until I may buy a better striker in January), Gary Martin (cheap, but average player from an Icelandic side for 70k), and an Albanian striker, on loan from Genk, but he's more like a back-up to back-up.

It's a shame that Negredo is transfer listed and also listed for loan and I cannot snap him, no matter how much money he'd get, he's a monster. He's not interested in coming to West Ham and recently I've seen Everton and Fulham interested in loan, but hopefully they won't get him before I do.

I might have missed a player or two, but that's the side I have under my command. First in Championship after 15 matches, but I am really annoyed by the away form, haven't won a game in like 5-6 matches. At home, we're either leading 3-0 at HT then dangerously win 3-2, or convincingly win. But in my last match, against Peterborough, was down 1-3 at HT, managed to pull back and draw 3-3.

Looks like Tomkins has left then :herman:

How are your finances going? Must be healthy if you can afford the loan fee for Cuenca.

With being up 3-0 at half-time, what are you saying in your team talks? And what mentality are you using?

Yeah, so Tomkins was 2,5 stars so I sold him to Charlton for 1,5m.

Well the club had about 48m-50m wage budget when I took over, but it exceeded that (I think the total wages were around 56m, so I've started with around -6m). Soon, some good players were released by their clubs, or transfer listed (Adam Smith from Spurs would join on free, Cresswell was wanted by Wigan) so I've had to do something to lower the wage budget as I couldn't offer those players any decent wage. I've sold most of the deadwood on free (Petric joined Torino on free, Crouch, who was at the club on ridiculous wage, also left to Palace for 300k, Rat went to Alkmaar for 135k, Sidwell was at the club on big wages too so I sold him to Everton for 1,3m, Downing went to West Brom for 4,5m, Collins to Palace for 1,8m, Jarvis to Hull for 5m. Jaaskelainen and Matty Taylor left on free and Demel and McCartney were mutually released). So in the end I've lowered the wage to around 15m-20m and with my additions to the squad, as I've had only three or four core players, the wage reached 28m. I've slided some of the wage budget towards the transfer as I couldn't bring them all, but I still have around 4-5m in my wage budget left to be spend. I can put up a picture of my transfers/finances if you want.

As for the HT talk, I usually calmly tell the players that I am satisfied with their game and to keep it up, get a great reactions from almost everyone and then they really bad. I've used overload in the first half and didn't change it so that's probably the reason I was conceeding goals, but I've changed that to Attacking/Control and let's see how it works. I've had games where I was totally destroying teams (5-0 against Bournemouth, 5-1 against Leeds), then lose the next match away.

I'm not sure about the fluidity if it has any impact in the game.

After a lot of wheeling and dealing here is all my transfer dealings.. Still settling on my first 11 and so far not so good in the league but have progressed well in the cup games. Hopefully with my latest striking additions it will get some goals!

| Date               | Person             | From               | Fee                | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 19/7/2013          | Franco Zuculini    | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 20/7/2013          | Carlos Carmona     | Atalanta           | £2.6M              | 
| 21/7/2013          | Joe Ledley         | Celtic             | £1.3M              | 
| 28/7/2013          | Adam Matthews      | Celtic             | £1.8M              | 
| 29/7/2013          | Tom Ince           | Blackpool          | £2.2M              | 
| 31/7/2013          | Alex McCarthy      | Reading            | £5.25M             | 
| 2/9/2013           | Manucho            | Valladolid         | £625K              | 
| 2/9/2013           | Ola Toivonen       | PSV                | £4.5M              | 
|                    | Total              |                    | £18.35M            | 
|                    |                    |                    |                    | 

| Date               | Person                 | To                 | Fee                | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 9/7/2013           | Rinor Nushi            | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 10/7/2013          | Tim Brown              | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 11/7/2013          | Kyle Knoyle            | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 11/7/2013          | Paul McCallum          | Mansfield          | Loan               | 
| 12/7/2013          | Alex Pike              | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 13/7/2013          | Ricardo Vaz Tê         | Anji               | £2.9M              | 
| 13/7/2013          | Stephen Henderson      | Crystal Palace     | £825K              | 
| 13/7/2013          | Djair Parfitt-Williams | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 13/7/2013          | Sean Maguire           | Falkirk            | Loan               | 
| 14/7/2013          | Jerry Amoo             | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 14/7/2013          | Sebastian Lletget      | Pro Vercelli       | Loan               | 
| 15/7/2013          | Amos Nasha             | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 16/7/2013          | Rob Girdlestone        | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 17/7/2013          | Kieran Bywater         | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 17/7/2013          | Mohamed Diamé          | Liverpool          | £10M               | 
| 18/7/2013          | Kevin Nolan            | Southampton        | Ln Fee £28K p/m    | 
| 18/7/2013          | Nana Boakye-Yiadom     | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 19/7/2013          | Thomas Gogo            | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 20/7/2013          | Courtney Homans        | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 20/7/2013          | Matthias Fanimo        | Macclesfield       | Loan               | 
| 21/7/2013          | Ben Marlow             | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 22/7/2013          | Nathan Mavila          | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 24/7/2013          | Lewis Page             | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 25/7/2013          | Jack Collison          | Norwich            | £5M                | 
| 25/7/2013          | Taylor Miles           | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 26/7/2013          | Reece Burke            | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 27/7/2013          | Marcio Martins         | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 27/7/2013          | Danny Potts            | Tranmere           | Loan               | 
| 28/7/2013          | Taylor Tombides        | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 29/7/2013          | Josh Cullen            | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 30/7/2013          | Moses Makasi           | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 31/7/2013          | Emmanuel Onariase      | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 31/7/2013          | Paul McCallum          | Mansfield          | £66K               | 
| 1/8/2013           | Jordan Brown           | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 3/8/2013           | Winston Reid           | Wolfsburg          | £5.25M             | 
| 3/8/2013           | Jordan Spence          | Blackpool          | £1M                | 
| 9/8/2013           | Alou Diarra            | Sunderland         | £250K              | 
| 10/8/2013          | Matty Taylor           | Sunderland         | £350K              | 
| 10/8/2013          | Blair Turgott          | Partick Thistle    | Ln Fee £20.5K p/m  | 
| 11/8/2013          | Leo Chambers           | Morecambe          | Loan               | 
| 17/8/2013          | Pelly Ruddock          | Southend           | Loan               | 
| 31/8/2013          | Elliot Lee             | Dunfermline        | Loan               | 
| 2/9/2013           | Raphael Spiegel        | Coventry           | Loan               | 
| 2/9/2013           | Jussi Jääskeläinen     | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 2/9/2013           | George McCartney       | Free Transfer      | Free               | 
| 2/9/2013           | Modibo Maïga           | AZ                 | £2.7M              | 
|                    | Total                  |                    | £28.47M            | 
|                    |                        |                    |                    | 

Reid is a traitor, he came to me saying he wants to stay, now he wants to move to a bigger club, so I've accepted his transfer request but I still need to play him as Nielsen picked an injury. Cuenca also injured for 4 months so I unfortunately terminated his loan from Barcelona. December in my game, still on top, Birmingham and Reading one point behind. Good thing is that I am unbeaten in 10 games, but I think I drew six of them.

As January is approaching, I am looking to bring a quality striker and some back-up players. I'll probably sell Carroll who scored only one goal and is also injury prone, Reid and Nolan.

Nice seeing some people are playing with Hammers.

My first season was quite good to say the least:

After quite a lot of wheeling and dealing i finished 3, 8 point behind Man UTD that won everything in first season.I managed semi final of Carling Cup where i lost on away goals with Chelsea.Will provide SS later.Most of the season i played quite regular 4-DM-4-1 formation.

On the last day of season i lost on purpose to Hull City.Why? Because losing to Hull would mean that Liverpool would be relegated. :)

So i liked the challenge and ATM i am a manager of Liverpool in championship. I have West Ham save on computer which i will continue on a later date.

PS: Maybe thats called cheating or whatever but there is one trick how to get rid of high salary players.I was desperate to get rid of Collins in start of season.No one would take him even for free so i started looking for straight exchange with other teams.That way i managed to sell him to Fulham and in another way came a youth prospect Noe Baba.I got rid of Collins wage which enabled me to sign Milosevic from AiK.For some its cheating for me its wheelin and dealin :)

I was on a 13 matches run without defeat but couldn't take a big lead on the top of the table and after that I've got like four matches without win and slipped to third, managed to get a lucky draw at Birmingham and I am sitting second behind Reading, six points between them and us, with the next match to be played at Boleyn against the leaders.

Played against Reading and won 2-1, saved the game last night all good, today I am trying to load it and it doesn't work, ffs.

Played against Reading and won 2-1, saved the game last night all good, today I am trying to load it and it doesn't work, ffs.

Devastating. How close to promotion were you?

I have an absolute fetish for German players right now. Brought in Holtby, Schurrle, Marin, Reus and Gundogan so far. That's not including several youngsters I've poached from German academies, and Meyers on his way next season for £20,000,000. Managed to nab a world-class box-to-box regen from Shakhtar, looks like he will be immense. Will post a screenshot soon. Still not happy with how we are playing, seem to be just holding possession instead of looking for a killer pass. Had a proper patch where we scored 16 goals in four games, and then back to grinding out 1-0 wins.

I have just come 2nd in the Premier League with West Ham in season 2 with a strikerless 4-1-2-3-0 formation.

All came down to game 36 at home to Chelsea - we created the best couple of chances in a fairly dour game, but I missed, and got punished on the counter in the 86th minute to lose 1-0. If I'd won, I'd have won the league by a point. Having siad that, we then went out and beat Southampton 5-0 away in the next game and Spurs 2-1 away on the final day - so whether those results would have been the same if I NEEDED the wins, who knows!

1st choice Backups

GK(D) Ruddy Henderson

FB(S) *2 Reveillere / Rat O'Brien / Potts

DC(D) *2 Tomkins / Spence Collins / K Bartley

DM(D) Diame / Annan

DLP (S) at MC Noble / Fernandes Lazaro

CM(A) Collison Nolan

IF *2 (usually one on S and one on A)

Jarvis (L) Brahimi

Downing ® Falque

AMC TQ(A) Quintero

Playing balanced / counter

2 different variants depending on the opposition - one narrow and one wide.

Still mostly been with the initial Hammers squad, but Quintero has now settled in and scored 11 in his last 10 games of the season

To try and help others: I look at the analysis and stats screens now quite a lot during the games to find out which of my players aren't getting involved (if that happens it's usually one of the IF's - so I then tend to swap them to the other duty). I also look to see where the other side are playing their more defensive MC - and potentially move my CM(A) to the other side to give him more room for his bursts forward. I use OI's to nullify their midfield supply where possible - tight marking a playmaker, while leaving their more defensive MC/DM to try (unsuccessfully) to pull the strings. Choosing the correct DC's for the opposition has worked well - one quicker DC (Spence or Bartley) if they have a quick striker for example. Lots of possession for me, but no chances = lower the tempo usually. No possession = play out of defence / retain possession shouts (dependant on the score)

Basically just trying to look at closing down their supply and hitting them with quick 1-2s between my front 4/5 - creates lots of 1 on 1's.

I also have a lot of 4-5* regens who this season got around 8-10 sub appearances each, but given the additional games next year, will need to start some games - but I think, given their progress this year, they will be up for it.

How are you playing your midfield combination? I found an awesome thread which has helped immensely, stopped me getting left open and overrun.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375632-Pairs-amp-Combinations-The-Complete-Series

I'm playing with a Deep Lying Playmaker (usually Gundogan) and a Box to Box Midfielder (usually Romero, but he's injured so it's my world-class Ukrainian regen slotting in at the moment). I still have the majority of the English youngsters from the original squad, but they have been relegated to bench/rotation roles.

The DM is a simple DM(D) - purely there to shield the back four, and be a backwards 'out' pass for the MCs and wide players if no-one gets free. Annan and Diame are the choices here, although I have two 15yo regens who will get some game time next year (one already did this year). I think the player instructions are Mark Tighter and Close down more (although not got FM on this PC so can't check)

The MCR is usually the DLP(S) - Noble and Fernandes have played there mostly. From the play in the games, Noble has appeared to be more involved and playing better (Fernandes seem to delay on the ball more and play it backwards more) but having seen the end of year stats, Fernandes has 9 assists while Noble actually hardly has any. No extra player instructions.

The MCL is the CM(A) - started the season as an AP(A) but didn't really do much, then read somewhere else to try CM(A) and he breaks forward past the TQ beautifully. Collison has been a revelation in this position - struggled initially to finish his (many) chances, but once he started scoring, he is superb. Only instruction is to Shoot Less.

I haven't tried a B2B so can't comment on how well they work.

The plan for season 3 is to potentially push Quintero up to FC as a TQ so he can basically play the Messi role (he has several of Messi's PPMs - drop deep etc) - this was inspired by reading this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/371809-Best-Position-or-Instruction-for-Messi (specifically Tokyoblade's advice)

and I got lots more advice from the older 'Understanding Your Tactic' thread (having read so far the first 600 posts out of 1600!) (can't find the link on this PC)

You know with having a defensive midfielder protecting your back four, you can afford to have two attacking central midfielders.

You know with having a defensive midfielder protecting your back four, you can afford to have two attacking central midfielders.

Given that I play (generally) at least 2 (if not 3) of the AMs on Attack, plus the CM(A), putting another CM on an attack duty would lead to a big split in the team (5 purely attacking, 2 FB's trying to support and 3 on defence)? Possibly might work v smaller teams though

And Fierro has just broken his leg against Burnley. Out for five months, and I only have Yassine Benzia to replace him .. and I might consider playing Memphis Depay there when he needs a rest.

Hello fellow Hammers!

Started a new save, looking at this as a project! I'm aiming for top half with this very average and under strength squad, by focusing on getting the basics right and building from the back. Away points will be a bonus and Upton Park will be a fortress.

No money was available and with injuries hitting me hard, a loan deal Ihar Shytau, a defender from Dinamo Moscow.

Only outgoing is Stephen Henderson for £700k to Notts Forest.

7 games in to the Premiership and i've won 2, drawn 3, lost 2 leaving me comfortably in 13th and about on target for now. A great 2-2 away draw spurs the highlight so far

I was knocked out by holders Swansea in the league cup, who are also the only team to beat me at home so far.

I'm hoping to ship a few players on ridiculous wages out next season, paving the way for me to get some attacking players in!

Hi.

I didn't really get into FM last year so this year I don't really know where the bargains are. After a quick look at the forums, I managed to start my West Ham save with the following transfers ....

INS

Mo Sissoko FREE (Good DM cover)

Miguel FREE (An ageing but competant R/B)

Franco Zuculini FREE (A good CM with room for improvement)

Stefan Stranberg 350K (A young DC who seems well respected on the forums but I know little of him, a cheap gamble though)

Alberto Cerri LOAN. (A young striker who seems to have bags of potential. I loaned him hoping to build a relationship with him so maybe he'll consider joining permenantly at a later date)

OUTS

O'Brien 2.6mil

Demel 240k

Henderson 700k

And a few loans.

I can't give Taylor, Vaz Te or Diarra away for free which is causing havoc with my wage bill.

I have a Mil in the bank but I can't find a striker for that kind of money and I fell we are desperate for one till Carrol grows up.

I may get Vossen with a bit of luck and creative money juggling but I dont think he's a permenant answer.

Anyway, Just played our first game and got a fine 1-0 win at Aston Villa. Downing scored at the far stick from a Jarvis cross in the first half and we held on for the victory.

I'm not getting over excited though, it looks like a tough season ahead.

Good luck all and keep the posts coming ... The info helps.

EDIT.

A very hard season although relegation was never really a threat. Finished 14th.

Tomkins was player of the season and develops nicely.

Zuculini is improving well and looks a very good player.

Sissoko and Strandberg have both done well.

Morrison is coming on well.

The young loanee Cerri broke his leg a few weeks into the season so his loan was terminated.

I couldn't get decent form from Noble, Nolan or Collinson.

Maiga ended up first choice striker over Petric but our lack of a goalscorer showed.

Carrol got a few games but was not too impressive.

Crouch can do a job as a cheap replacement (either to buy or loan for a season) for Carroll initially - with the bonus that he is a fairly similar type of player so you shouldn't have to change tactics too much when Carroll returns

As an update on my game, my third season has been extremely frustrating so far (I'm in mid-Jan) - only just managed to get my first back-to-back wins of the season in my last 2 games - my nice tactic from 14.1.4 didn't work at all in 14.2, so have been tweaking a lot!

Good news is that I got through the group stage of the Champions League - very strange results though - lost at home to Schalke to a very dodgy penalty, then thrashed Steaua 3-0 away. A home win and away draw with Shakhtar, followed by an away 3-3 draw with Schalke (thanks to a 91st min equaliser) saw me through - and I then proceeded to lose 4-0 at home to Steaua!! WTF!!!! Anyway, I got a decent KO draw - v Monaco, so will see how that goes soon.

In the league, I'm currently 8th, so have a lot of work to do to get back into Europe next year!

Transfers - apart from Balanta coming in as noted earlier, I only signed a 5* potential Argentine DL - who has had to play as first choice all season as Rat has had 2 * 4-month injuries! I've got Luca Marrone and Rodrigo Gomez set to arrive in the summer for free, and am in the middle of signing Rafinha for £8m to give Quintero someone good to rotate with up front immediately. I've got a lot of good regen kids who have had some playing time, with the best being a 16yo German DC who is already nearly as good as Tomkins attributes-wise, but still has 2.5* more potential available to him, plus an English winger/IF who is also fairly immense.

4 games into our 2nd season and 4 straight wins. Just beat Arsenal 4-2 at home with Carrol on fire grabbing a brace.

I dont expect it to last but we should achieve our aim of mid table easily.

I got just short of 12 mil to play with and bought two players.

Will Hughes for around 13mil and Koen Casteels for 5.5. Had to be creative with the finances.

Hughes is going to be a great asset in the middle of the park.

Casteels is a great young keeper who is worth every penny and more.

Ive also managed a few good loans.

Demba Ba comes back to West Ham for the season to act as cover for Carrol (I play a loan striker - Target man)

Lucas Digne joins us for a year and is impressing already at left back.

I brought in Djbril Sidibe To help out with the right back slot.

And a real coup in my oppinion is securing the services of Wil Zaha for a year.

Cole, Taylor, Diarra, Jussi, Petric, McCartney and Vaz Te all left on free's.

Had some silly offers for a few of the players that didnt even match their stated values. 1.2 mil for Tomkins??? Complete joke.

EDIT

END OF SEASON 2

Achieved mid table, finished exactly 10th -)

Not a bad season, Downing was player of the year, Carrol found a bit of form. Zaha was great but i couldnt renew his loan for the following season.

We somehow made the FA cup final but got outclassed by Chelsea when we lost 3-0. They did the double.

Just reached December in my first season in charge of the Hammers. Currently sitting 11th, despite losing 5 of my first 6 matches. We just couldn't score at the start of the season. Petric and Maiga have been dreadful and Ezequiel Rescaldani who I brought in on loan has been equally as bad. My solution? Move Morrison to striker and play him as an advanced forward. He's done quite well, 2 PoM performances in a 7 matches with 4 goals. Probably going to sell Petric in Jan if I can, I apparently unknowingly changed his squad status during a staff meeting and he threw a fit demanding to be transfer listed. Not really bothered by it though, he's been terrible anyway.

So just finished a VERY frustrating 3rd season. Eventually settled back to my 4-1-2-3-0 tactic, but changed to control / balanced. Having been inconsistent all season I won 5 and drew 1 of my games near the end, leaving me 1 point ahead of Everton and Stoke in 6th place with 2 games to play. Unfortunately my two games were home to Arsenal and then away at Man Utd on the last day. The Arsenal game saw me take a 3rd minute lead and then pepper them with EIGHT CCC's but unable to score from them at all. 86th minute sees a simple backpass played to Ruddy who controls it with no-one within 20 yards of him, and then decides to walk away from the ball allowing Giroud to tap into an empty net. My gf was rather less than impressed with my language at that point.

92nd minute sees Rat fire a cross to the far post where my regen winger (Hunt) fires a shot across the goal which Szeszny(sp) parries onto the post and then it comes back onto his back....at which point Koscielny decides to try and clear it straight into the net! So I won 2-1, but with 2 of the most horrific defensive ****-ups in the last 5 mins! (fortunately one for each team)

The Sunday kickoff then saw Everton and Stoke draw with each other - leaving me 3 points ahead of both - but I had about 8/9 goal difference advantage over both, which allowed me to play the youth team at United on the final day and still nick the last UEFA Cup spot for next season.

Champions League saw me beat Monaco in the last 16 2-0 on aggregate, but then go out to Bayern in the quarters 4-2 on aggregate - a great performance away from home for 83 mins saw me drawing 1-1 - but then give away a stupid corner goal and a long shot to lose 3-1, and then an early sending off for Downing in the home leg (silly yellow then another for 'simulation') meant I had no chance.

Sendings off were a huge problem for me this year - at one point I had 7 in 9 games! Hence I eventually changed to 'stay on feet' as a team instruction which at least kept me with 11 men from then on!

If anyone is interested, here is my tactic (NB I have no claims as any kind of expert tactician),

4-1-2-3-0 balanced and control.

Roles and instructions are:

GK GK(D) - Pass shorter, distribute to defenders

DR FB(A)

DL FB(S)

DC *2 DC(D) - Pass shorter

DM DM(D) (this becomes a HB(D) if playing against 2 FCs) - Close down less

MCR DLP(S)

MCL CM(A) Shoot less

AMR W(S) Play wider, shoot less

AML IF(A) Sit narrower, shoot less

AMC TQ(A) Dribble more, more risky passes, get further forward, shoot less

Team instructions are play out of defence, work ball into box, hassle opponents, stay on feet, higher D-Line

(The 2 MC spots might be the wrong sides - not in front of the game at the moment)

No further transfers in since my last update. Going out in the summer is Kevin Nolan who only played twice this year - I almost got sentimental about him leaving and nearly played him in that final game but decided to give the kids the run out instead.

Rat and Reveillere are now getting slower and slower, so need to make a decision whether to keep them for next year (as my two regens for DR and DL are just as good as them now anyway). Brahimi and Spence are a pain in the backside - constantly moaning about too much competition, wanting a transfer - then changing their minds. Spence will therefore probably leave (as again I have at least 3 regen DCs who are about as good as him already), but not sure about Brahimi (as he is actually very good on his day!)

In bad news: Rodrigo Gomez, who is set to join in June is out for 4 months having done his hamstring. Just what you need from someone that you signed due to their blistering pace (or what will be left of it after that!)

Kris Hunt (my AMR regen), who came in my first youth intake, has already, aged 18, been picked for England! He is only 3* CA (but 5* PA) - so a promising future for him.

And the future will now be interesting for the club as well - we move into the Olympic Stadium in July as well. Hopefully that will improve the finances even more and they are already pretty rosy after Champions League money this year, plus keeping the wages nearly £200k/week under budget this year. My max wage paid is just under £50k/week, but will possibly review that to try and really push us forward in the next year or two.

I am finally knuckling down to FM14 and as always am playing as my beloved Irons. Looking to sell the high wage earners and pick up some help at RB and forward. Have signed Strandberg and Mitrovic, any cheap RBs around? Has anyone got any feedback on the move to the Olympic stadium?

For DR - try Reveillere (should be available on a free in 1st season).

I've just moved into the Olympic stadium in 2016 - due to pay £2m per year in rent (but have the option to ask the board to buy the stadium already. Have had a couple of new sponsorship deals worth £6m per year just announced as well, so not worried about the rent!

Have had problems getting properly sucked in by FM this year. Well, that was the case until I started a West Ham save.

Mid-way through February and here's the league table:

rIzXfO8.png

And a few results:

Atu5Xrz.png

Fifth! And still in with half a chance of Champions League football! The financial constraints have posed some challenges and the team is pretty knackered now but they've continued to get results with this tactic I've developed:

3If2Jnr.png

Peter Crouch, who I signed to replace Carroll during his absence, has been an absolute standout with Razvan Rat, Ravel Morrison and Matt Jarvis each contributing assists, goals and a huge threat down the flanks. Mark Noble has thrived in the regista role, spraying passes and through balls out to Jarvis and Morrison who terrorise full-backs before either laying crosses in for Crouch or going it alone.

The objective now is to secure Europa League football, get rid of some of the loftier contracts and bring in some younger, more dynamic players as well as an experienced centre-back and goalkeeper to bring some solidity and poise to our defence.

Anyone found the best roles for Carroll and Nolan? Just can't get Carroll scoring. Best link up play seems to be Nolan as an AM A with Carroll as a TM S but no real goals between them. Think half the problem is all these blocked crosses we get, not much help if you have players good in the air!!!

Hey there, I am not quite as much around nowadays but will provide an update after the transfer window closes.And after that i hope i start my long project with Hammers

Mighty Irons!!

I always have a career game with my beloved, I normally wait until the January patch but I can wait no longer :D

I've downloaded an unofficial transfer update.

Looking at our squad, I think ill be playing a flat back 4, 2 holding cm's, an attacking mid for the home games, with a lot of football focussing down the flanks.

First things first, offering Momo Diame a bumper contract and to shift his min release clause. I've also promoted Elliot Lee and Danny Potts to be in and around our first team squad.

Ill also try and shift the likes of what I class to be dead wood, including Linda, Taylor, Diarra and Hendo for now.

Ill post regular updates in here and hopefully bring this thread to life :)

Have had problems getting properly sucked in by FM this year. Well, that was the case until I started a West Ham save.

Mid-way through February and here's the league table:

rIzXfO8.png

And a few results:

Atu5Xrz.png

Fifth! And still in with half a chance of Champions League football! The financial constraints have posed some challenges and the team is pretty knackered now but they've continued to get results with this tactic I've developed:

3If2Jnr.png

Peter Crouch, who I signed to replace Carroll during his absence, has been an absolute standout with Razvan Rat, Ravel Morrison and Matt Jarvis each contributing assists, goals and a huge threat down the flanks. Mark Noble has thrived in the regista role, spraying passes and through balls out to Jarvis and Morrison who terrorise full-backs before either laying crosses in for Crouch or going it alone.

The objective now is to secure Europa League football, get rid of some of the loftier contracts and bring in some younger, more dynamic players as well as an experienced centre-back and goalkeeper to bring some solidity and poise to our defence.

What player instructions and alternative tactic are you using?

Just an update. Have totally settled with an attacking philosophy and it is doing pretty well first season taking me to joint top in December. Still early days but attacking seems to be working for me. I was one down against Arsenal away and was getting a bit over run so pulled the BBM back into the right DM strata as a DM and won 2-1 so now use that switch if I am finding it difficult against top teams or away. Otherwise the 451 is doing pretty well.

WestHamUnited_FixturesSchedule.png

WestHamUnited_TacticsOverview-6.png

I've just taken over West Ham around a third of the way through season 2, jumped ship after winning League One with Wolves and was doing ok in the Championship but (recently relegated to the Champs) West Ham looked like a better project to me.

Struggling to get any consistency out of some of the big names though - Collison has been particularly frustrating, anyone have any thoughts on his best position/role? After tinkering with some other tactics I've gone back to my trusty 4-3-3/4-5-1 similar to Sussex Hammer's above, but just can't get a decent performance out of him. Jarvis is another who is great one minute and then terrible the next.

Morrison on the other hand has been my saviour and my main goal threat, building everything around him!

Also just turned down a 5.25m bid from Liverpool for one of the two fantastic 16 year old prospects in the U18s, good to see the Football Academy is still alive and well. Been giving the transfer target a run in the team as well so he should be spectacular sooner rather than later hopefully.

West Ham is a great challenge on the game, especially with the prospect of the new stadium only a couple of seasons away...

Just started a West Ham save.

I wanted to bring back "Attractive" football so I have gone with a new formation and tactics.

And fingers crossed it is going quite well so far.

2w734f7.png

21owlm8.png

AC Milan came in for Diame while I was negotiating a new deal with him so I lost him. :(