FM14 TACTIC - "THE FULCRUM" - Back to Back Promotions + Cup Win

Can i ask when you get the scout report on next opposition and it recommends a different match prep for example, attacking movement. Do you apply this? or just keep this on def set pieces

I leave it on defending set pieces at the moment.

When corners are less OP i'll probably let my ass-man handle the training.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My strikers are scoring at around a goal every other game (both of them), that's not actually that bad.

The problems arise when you have a slow build up, there are lots of bodies in the box and loads of your shots hit defenders, sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row. Now you could play at a higher tempo but then you would give the ball away in dangerous positions and have less possession. Passing into space allows a few more direct attacks whilst still winning the possession battle.

Suarez has scored 6 in 18 (poor), Aspas has scored 4 in 14 (poor) and Sturridge has scored 13 in 19 (decent).

I've just changed to pass into space (also att movement) for the last 12-15 games of the season so I'll let you know how I get on.

Changed it back to def positioning as I've pretty much lost the title in the 8 games I changed to att movement. Passing into space doesn't seem to be making a lot of difference to the tactic either, at least not that I can notice.

My strikers have completely given up scoring now, I'm still winning with goals from midfield but its not a realistic football simulation.

When I get home I will try changing the 2 forwards to the tried and tested advanced forward/A - deep lying forward/S but I don't expect anything different.

I think jimbob is trying 'under pressure' and getting the same thing.

My strikers have completely given up scoring now, I'm still winning with goals from midfield but its not a realistic football simulation.

When I get home I will try changing the 2 forwards to the tried and tested advanced forward/A - deep lying forward/S but I don't expect anything different.

I think jimbob is trying 'under pressure' and getting the same thing.

Pretty much this. I think I may just shelve the game and wait for the next patch.

It's still a very good tactic for anybody who wants a plug and play.

Great tactic Mr U Rosler, I've been using it for the past season with Spurs and I've been really pleased with the results.

I'm in my first full season utilizing this tactic, which I did including the pass into space but also utilizing long throws, where I used FB's with good throwing abilities and trained the bullet throw PPM. This has resulted in a large portion of my assists this season from Kyle Naughton and seems to be far more effective than in previous iterations of FM.

I've struggled with drawing in the Premiership so it looks like my initial flawless run at the start of the season has now dribbled into a 4th finish and loss v Real Madrid in the Semi's of the CL, overall I am fairly satisfied since my squad is still mid-transformation to fit this tactic.

I re-trained Lamela as my F9 and he has been a main goal threat by a long distance with 39 goals this season and 24 in the league, I've tried a host of different strikers in the Poacher slot and none of them seem to be able to perform - even including the expensive Balotelli and Mitrovic which I signed purely for that role in the January window :(

Great tactic Mr U Rosler, I've been using it for the past season with Spurs and I've been really pleased with the results.

I'm in my first full season utilizing this tactic, which I did including the pass into space but also utilizing long throws, where I used FB's with good throwing abilities and trained the bullet throw PPM. This has resulted in a large portion of my assists this season from Kyle Naughton and seems to be far more effective than in previous iterations of FM.

I've struggled with drawing in the Premiership so it looks like my initial flawless run at the start of the season has now dribbled into a 4th finish and loss v Real Madrid in the Semi's of the CL, overall I am fairly satisfied since my squad is still mid-transformation to fit this tactic.

I re-trained Lamela as my F9 and he has been a main goal threat by a long distance with 39 goals this season and 24 in the league, I've tried a host of different strikers in the Poacher slot and none of them seem to be able to perform - even including the expensive Balotelli and Mitrovic which I signed purely for that role in the January window :(

Wow, i've never seen a striker perform like that under 14.1.3.

Especially from the f9 position.

Can you post up his attributes so i can try and work out whats going on.

thanks

Wow, i've never seen a striker perform like that under 14.1.3.

Especially from the f9 position.

Can you post up his attributes so i can try and work out whats going on.

thanks

Stats - I know, a little low on work rate and teamwork :(

Reports

He also just got 'Europes top marksman'! It doesn't seem to help out the poacher though who really seems to struggle... Maybe Lamela is a greedy ******* and just takes the goals for himself rather than helping others? Alot of his goals are great shots outside the box though...

Stats - I know, a little low on work rate and teamwork :(

Reports

He also just got 'Europes top marksman'! It doesn't seem to help out the poacher though who really seems to struggle... Maybe Lamela is a greedy ******* and just takes the goals for himself rather than helping others? Alot of his goals are great shots outside the box though...

He's a great player, but not exactly 20 finishing & 20 composure. Guess he got a lot of chances and got on a roll.

Working well in Skrill North... main poacher hit 17 goals in 17 starts until injury, and his replacement has scored 6 in 5. I have added Pass Into Space, which seemed to kick off the goalscoring.

Cool, thanks

Hi guys,

I've just had clubs come in for aload of my players so I've got some cash to spend now, anyone got suggestions on how best to improve my squad for this tactic? I know it's not easy without being able to see specific stats...

Current Squad

The cash injection mostly came from Will Hughes for 33m, Samuel Umtiti for 31m and Gaston Romero for 23m.

I'd love a top-class right back to replace Naughton who should really be a back-up, I've already replaced Gaston Romero with Goretzka who looks a great B2B.

My AP Quintero is unhappy I rejected the 20m bid from Barcelona from him so maybe I need to replace him too :(

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed!

Hi guys,

Just thought I would chip in here as I have been using this tactic for last 3 1/2 seasons. Playing as Mansfield Town i have gone from League 2 to the Premier League in consecutive seasons - this tactic being a major part.

The poacher has always bagged 20 + (Nakhi Wells bagged 36 in the championship) whilst the false 9 always more of a creator chipping in with around 10 a season. Struggling abit this season, due to having a vastly weaker squad than anyone else in the Prem, although Ngog has scored 10 in 22, so not too bad, with the midfield chipping in as well.

Hi guys,

Just thought I would chip in here as I have been using this tactic for last 3 1/2 seasons. Playing as Mansfield Town i have gone from League 2 to the Premier League in consecutive seasons - this tactic being a major part.

The poacher has always bagged 20 + (Nakhi Wells bagged 36 in the championship) whilst the false 9 always more of a creator chipping in with around 10 a season. Struggling abit this season, due to having a vastly weaker squad than anyone else in the Prem, although Ngog has scored 10 in 22, so not too bad, with the midfield chipping in as well.

Interesting, on the surface my poacher is better than Ngog. perhaps some hidden attributes are at play here.

First season complete! Very good tactic.

endfinish_zpsb6689b69.png

Only brought in 4 Players and sold around 7 and came second very happy. Top work.

As is stated in this thread many times it is definately down to getting the right players for the roles as it makes a massive difference when you through someone in who doesnt fit the mould.

Cracking tactic though Uwe i have to say. Best tactic I have seen for any version of FM/CM and I have tried out a good few!

High praise indeed.

My best tactic is normally around February after the final patch. Not many people get on them though as many are 'done' with the game by then.

I know a few people had unbeaten seasons with 'Fearsome Engine' last year, I won back to back Champions Leagues with Stockport but never the premier league finishing 2nd to man city 5 years in a row!

So for an early tactic its good, but its only gonna get better when the ME settles down a bit.

First season complete! Very good tactic.

endfinish_zpsb6689b69.png

Only brought in 4 Players and sold around 7 and came second very happy. Top work.

As is stated in this thread many times it is definately down to getting the right players for the roles as it makes a massive difference when you through someone in who doesnt fit the mould.

Nice job :applause:

Hi guys,

In my game both Wells and Ngog have the 'moves into channels' preferred move. I wonder if that makes a difference? The only other thing I noticed was high ambition in both players.

Mixed for me, with my first season in charge with Wycombe(predicted 18th) i won the league. Then in the 2ns season with them i i came bottom and got sacked.

Now i got a job at Doncaster, who admitidly have a very small squad and i just cant stop loseing/drawing at best, the amount of goals i concede is amazing. Anyway... just to see if its the tactic or my squad which isnt good enough im just about to start a new game with barca/madrid to test how it goes.

Had some mixed results like in the last post. Got promoted with Havant & W in first season using my own and this tactic, second season... got relegated and sacked.

Though of doing a holiday game with this tactic and results were terrible. I couldnt believe.

Holiday game in Italy with inter. Sacked before christmas

Holiday game in England with Man Utd. Sacked before christmas

Holiday game in Spain with Real Madrid. Sacked after 12 games.

Strange, but i noticed those sequences that Rosler is talking about... ok i can live with 2 penalties in a row, but cant live with 5 matches in a row with penalties.... 3 matches with red cards in a row. Same tactic that didnt let a single set piece goal in 10 game would concede in 10 games in a row.

I find that it's not the tactics case. Same happened with my tactics aswell.

Hmmm... second season syndrome weve all talked about... its the rep issue and its just a feeling but it may be that this may not be seen as a bug and may be expected to be solved by the in game editor... just a hunch but ties in with current app philosophy....

as for the rest I ask myself why some of us have great results and not others..... are you playing to Roslers guide or are you tampering.... do you have the right squad? The one certainty about this and the last version of FM was that there is no certain plug and play..... you have to get all the other conditions right too and this means changing your thinking when approaching a tactic..... I suppose somewhere between expecting the tactic to work anytime and anywhere and not tinkering too much. For the last two years there has been to mind no other tactic that is so effective THIS EARLY IN THE RELEASE.

Now Ill just get off my pedestal....

A quick update got promoted on 93 points to league 2 in the second season in the conf prem (3rd season overall) the same amount of points i got the season before but didnt go up due to a weaker goal difference.

First season in league 2 i struggled tbh finished 18th but way clear of relegation zone and 6 points from play offs so wasnt disastrous.

Just about to start my second season in league 2 and 5th season overall. Hopefully have enough to go up.

Hmmm... second season syndrome weve all talked about... its the rep issue and its just a feeling but it may be that this may not be seen as a bug and may be expected to be solved by the in game editor... just a hunch but ties in with current app philosophy....

as for the rest I ask myself why some of us have great results and not others..... are you playing to Roslers guide or are you tampering.... do you have the right squad? The one certainty about this and the last version of FM was that there is no certain plug and play..... you have to get all the other conditions right too and this means changing your thinking when approaching a tactic..... I suppose somewhere between expecting the tactic to work anytime and anywhere and not tinkering too much. For the last two years there has been to mind no other tactic that is so effective THIS EARLY IN THE RELEASE.

Now Ill just get off my pedestal....

Good points, I've tried many other's tactics and tinkered myself over many versions, but I've looked at this tactic and it works logically (roles and position wise) and like you say is a good one so early on after release. The F9 alongside a poacher with an anchor man/BBMx2/AP behind them covers all bases and areas of the pitch to me defensively and attacking wise, it's simple logic but like all the best ideas, they're simple. That's why they work best. Like Shankly said "Football is a simple game complicated by idiots", that's what this tactic is to me; simple and logical and it's very good.

Tactical fluidity (learned) as ever is key on FM, but the real golden key has to be the right players playing the right roles. Sounds obvious, but I think where many people might struggle is that they pick a tactic of how they want football to be played and overlook who they are asking to play their vision of the game. Just because a player has great ST© attributes, he might be the 'worst' F9 and/or Poacher you could ask to play your vision.

I like this tactic, a lot, and I'm not keen on many ready-made tactics created by others.....but you need the right players. Obviously. :D

Are you really telling me that Inter/Real Madrid/ Man utd doesnt have players for this tactic??? Look at my posts above. How can this tactic fail with such players in holiday game?

Game is a bit broken... i wonder when there's new patch coming out

Are you really telling me that Inter/Real Madrid/ Man utd doesnt have players for this tactic??? Look at my posts above. How can this tactic fail with such players in holiday game?

Game is a bit broken... i wonder when there's new patch coming out

The higher up the pyramid you go, the margins get narrower. They might have 11x top class players on the pitch but look at Real Madrid, their Galácticos policy and what they won or didn't from 2004-10. I can build a team through the editor with the very best player in each position (not role) on FM and they will fail if I don't get their role/tactic right. For this Fulcrum V2 is as simple and as good as anything I've seen.

I can't be arsed to argue over whether the ME or game is broken, been there, done that, and anything you or I say won't change each other's opinion. It's the same every year and needs working on sure like it always does 10 days (or weeks or more) after official release. Next year buy the game in Feb.

The higher up the pyramid you go, the margins get narrower. They might have 11x top class players on the pitch but look at Real Madrid, their Galácticos policy and what they won or didn't from 2004-10. I can build a team through the editor with the very best player in each position (not role) on FM and they will fail if I don't get their role/tactic right. For this Fulcrum V2 is as simple and as good as anything I've seen.

I can't be arsed to argue over whether the ME or game is broken, been there, done that, and anything you or I say won't change each other's opinion. It's the same every year and needs working on sure like it always does 10 days (or weeks or more) after official release. Next year buy the game in Feb.

I think you have some really interesting points. I play this game from 00/01 version, and it's really been the same every year... after the final patch game is really good. Don't get me wrong, but i will wait for the next patch to start a new game. Can't buy the game in february... it's like have a full fridge of beer at home and don't have a bottle for 4 months.

As for the topic... on tactic... I think the idea of the tactic is brilliant, but the thing that makes me angry i cant understart how to there bad sequences happen. Won 10 in a row, cant win 10 in a row. Good defence - horrible defence.

Hi.

Just popping on to comment on my success with this tactic in Season 1.

Started pretty poor (whilst getting used to tactic), things then picked up but we were still struggling for consistency. But once I signed a goalscorer (Stevie May) and a DM (Momo Sissoko) which allowed me to free up Austin to play a more advanced role, we really improved. Got struck by the injury bug (4 left-backs and 4 strikers injured over one month) but scraped over the line into the play-offs with a couple of great performances and hard-fought draws, and then with a near full-strength squad (missing just my main DL and a player to some Mickey Mouse U20 cup that didn't start for another 10 days...) recorded this result against 3rd placed Reading to secure promotion.

fbzw.png

Conclusion: A very effective tactic but requires patience to get to full fluidity and most importantly the right players for the roles.

I turned off the first transfer window for realism so had to stick with the squad I had (which is why I went with this formation - we have no wingers). Sorely struggled for goals early on, things improved when I switched my strikers (McCormack and Nuno Gomes) around as I realised they fit each others role equally well, and NG was just too slow for the poacher role. And then when I signed a goalscorer in Jan we really started to find our groove. Ended with 3rd best defence.

My left-back (Warnock) was my best player and 3rd best in the division, averaging a 7.35. What full-back bug?

Edit to include fixtures screenshot. Whilst we didn't dominate (which wouldn't be realistic or that enjoyable) we didn't lose many games in the latter half of the season and dug out a lot of draws to compliment the more dominant wins. Ended up being a very enjoyable season - far more fun than winning the league at a canter!

hpvh.png

Interesting points guys.

Cant comment on results whilst on 'holiday' as i have never done that and I don't understand how results are calculated, but it cant really be massively relevant as that's not how the game is supposed to be played.

We have had 4 versions of the match engine, on the first 3, results were much more consistent, strikers scored and everything seemed to make sense and was 'believable'.

The current version is plain strange, its seems to be about patterns and 'runs of results', unbreakable winning streaks, long streaks of drawn matches and for some of you long losing streaks. Strikers are very 'streaky', the whole match engine experience feels very un-natural, if you are in a run of draws and are a goal up with 10 minutes to go, you can just 'sense' that equaliser coming.

Yet, myself and many others are still being very successful.

But I get that its a very fine line, in my first season in the Prem i got in a very bad run after a good start, there were rumours of me being 'under pressure', my next game was away to rampant a Tottenham side who were walking the Division so i was expecting a hammering which would damage morale further and heap pressure on me. However, the game was called off due to waterlogged pitch, so I played bottom of the league Nottingham Forest instead and smashed them. that was a stroke of luck and a turning point.

So we've 'prospered' on 3 match engines, its been mixed on this one with many promotions followed by a difficult season.

So the question is, is the next engine likely to make this 'worse' or are they likely to take the good out of the early versions and leave the bad stuff out of this one and give us something stable to work with.

I think the latter, there are too many complaints on the main forum, they cant risk a poor update.

I hope they also 'tweak' the reputation system, it shouldn't be left to the editor, i don't know how to use it and don't want to learn. i was onto this early doors, i raised it on the bugs forums, SI requested my save games which i gave them and I knowm they have been looking at it and consider it an 'issue'. However, they may have dropped it for a while when they realised they had major engine issues.

i believe the testing team have been putting a new version of the Match Engine through its paces this weekend so an update is imminent, possibly as early as tomorrow.

I for one cant wait.

I have 4 games left of this season, once i've finished them I will post up my final position.

After that I WILL NOT play any further games under 14.1.3. Its impossible to analyse, unrealistic and is frankly 'breaking the immersion' for me and ruining the game.

Once the ME is updated, i'll be all over it both in terms of my 'career save' and tactically.

As someone kindly pointed out, this system is logical, ticks all the boxes and should function well under any fair and logical match engine

If it doesn't, I'll just have to build a new tactic.

Second season, won the Swiss League again, with 3 games in hand, as well as being in the Swiss Cup final again. So another resounding success really!

Well Done Uwe!

Was wondering where you were..... nice one:applause:

Archived