FM14: Newcastle United - Vive La Revolution

james_wilko

mid of season 2 currently in position 6. decided to read up more on tactics (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/377489-Creating-A-Tactic-Design-Create-and-Maintain) and in match tactics tweak. now it left me wonder....

1) Should i buy players to fill the position and role or to change my tactic according to the players i have?

2) How do you manage squad rotation? By his average rating or by match rotation?

3) Will there be match experience for the regens if i sub them in from 75th mins onwards?

4) Loan youngster/regens out or keep them with the team (U21)?

1) I tend to develop my tactic, then buy players that fit it. Unless a great player is available then I`m willing to change. I`ve never made wholesale changes in my long Newcastle game, just subtle tweaks (like replacing Moussa with Wilshere and changing the role from BWM/BBM to DLP).

2) If I have a lot of games coming up, I`ll switch the players around more. Generally save the better players for the bigger teams/more important games. Sometimes I`ll just drop out a player even without the fixture pile up just so other players stay happy.

3/4) Some, but probably not enough. If you don`t plan on loaning them out, using them in lesser games and cup games is a good way to get experience as well as giving them some minutes at the end of games. If you do loan them out, make sure it`s to a country you have ticked so their results aren`t random and you can scout them. It also helps to send them to a team with high youth development.

Good luck with your game Col, looking forward to hearing about it.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys and girls been a while since I've posted but really enjoying reading the thread. I'm going to start a Newcastle save and want to make this the most realistic experience for me which means no transfers in the first window, leaving Joe Kinnear in charge to do what he feels is right (face palm), and finally setting my reputation to Sunday league footballer. I've read on here of some fantastic first season's where people are winning the league and marching onto Champions League glory but my main question is this, do any of you set their reputation as low as possible and approach the game the way I'm planning on doing it?

I`ve never done that Nelson, but I know it will make your game significantly harder since the players won`t respect you.

It will be really difficult but I`m really interested to hear how it goes for you.

Would recommend booking a lot of friendlies early on against tiny clubs, get the morale really high so your lack or reputation goes against you a little less.

This is proving to be a really tough challenge as none of my players that have a year left on their contracts want to renew and team talks are basically a bust as no matter what I say even praising a player results in them coming back with "Player X believes that manager lacks credibility", of cause it doesn't help when your first league game of the season is a poor scrappy 1-0 defeat away to the great unwashed across the river, I don't even have luck on my side as my next game was at home against Stoke which even though I played well and was winning 1-0 with 5 minutes to go the ref gave a penalty against Colo for a challenge on Crouch, after the game it said in the referee performance that he made the controversial decision to award the penalty, I promptly slated him to the press and the F.A done nowt proving I'd been robbed, I'm going to stick with it and plough on through, who knows what will happen when Kinear has free reign in January :-s

Hi guys and girls been a while since I've posted but really enjoying reading the thread. I'm going to start a Newcastle save and want to make this the most realistic experience for me which means no transfers in the first window, leaving Joe Kinnear in charge to do what he feels is right (face palm), and finally setting my reputation to Sunday league footballer. I've read on here of some fantastic first season's where people are winning the league and marching onto Champions League glory but my main question is this, do any of you set their reputation as low as possible and approach the game the way I'm planning on doing it?

I set my reputation depending on what league I start in, so if I am playing in the lowest league I'll set it as sunday league footballer but if I start in the top league I'll set it at International footballer.

Getting rid of Joke Kinnear is the first thing I did because I can't stand the man.

Well 15 games in and I'm sitting in 8th place and due to disabling transfers in the first window Kinnear has been pretty redundant apart from loaning in Zaha on deadline day who I didn't really need, I've put him charge of everything he can be apart from finalising first team signings as surely even puppet Pardew wouldn't stand for that? I've also put hiring and firing the director of football to fat Mike so it's up to him how long his mate stays :-s

nufc.png

July - August 2013.

Transfersendoffirstwindow2013.jpg

Tom Ince : The young English winger joins from Championship side Blackpool for £3.5m, he will be a rotation player in his first season here but I fully expect him to become a first team starter by next season.

Éder Álvarez Balanta : The Colombian joins from Argentine side River Plate for £7m, hopefully he is going to form a great partnership with Fabricio Coloccini at the back or in a back three with either Steven Taylor, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa or Remie Streete.

Simon Tibbling : The Swedish youngster joins from Djurgårdens for £110k, he has been sent to Bolton Wanderers on a season long loan to hep aid his delevopment a bit quicker because he wouldn't get many games at Newcastle.

Júlio César : The Brazilan Goalkeeper joins as a free agent and will be our new number two goalkeeper replacing the departed Rob Elliot.

Youri Tielemans : The Belgain wonderkid joins from Anderlecht for £4m, He has the potential to become a World Class midfielder and will get plenty of game time and tutoring off Yohan Cabaye to help aid his delevopment.

I managed to get rid of some of the deadwood, so Jonás Gutiérrez, Gabriel Obertan, Mike Williamson and Rob Elliot have all left the club. I also let a few of the clubs youngsters leave on loan to get some first team football.

July-Augustresults2013.jpg

PremierLeaguetableendofAugust2013.jpg

In Pre season I tried a few different formations before deciding to play a 4-2-3-1 Deep formation when the Premier League season started against Sunderland. However after 32 minutes in the Sunderland Hatem Ben Arfa broke his ankle and his now out for 3 months, forcing me to change to a 4-4-2 and I have been surprised at how well the players adopted to the change and we have won our first three games in the league.

As you can see with some of the goalscorers I am giving the youngsters a lot of game time, especially Adam Campbell who is going to play nearly every game, because if he's as good as he was on FM13 he will become World Class after about three seasons :cool:.

Started a save with Newcastle earlier today, find myself 2nd in January playing some really good stuff. Playing a 4-3-1-2 formation taking advantage of the decent central midfielders they have.

Can't get Cisse scoring, so I thought I'd stick Campbell upfront with Remy for the home game against Sunderland. Bagged 2 in a 3-0 win :D

nufc.png

September 2013.

Septemberresults2013.jpg

PremierLeaguetableendofSeptember2013.jpg

YouriTielemansbecomesNUFCyoungestevergoalscorerinSeptember2013.jpg

We won two out of our three Premier League games in September, beating Swansea away and Arsenal at home but we finished the month off by losing our unbeaten record losing to Fulham at Craven Cottage.

We are through to the Capital One cup 4th round after our youngsters/reserves beat Championship side Birmingham City via a penalty shootout. In the next round we play Everton at Goodison Park.

Youri Tielemans has become our new youngest ever goalscorer by scoring in the Birmingham game.

@Nelson12345 - I'm starting a new game also setting my reputation to Sunday League footballer. Should be a good challenge!

Trying to bring more of an English identity back to the squad.

Sold:

Obertan

Guttierez

Marveaux

Santon

£22m

Bought:

Ince

Lowton

Bertrand

£16m

Still time and funds left to bring in a player or 2 if i feel the right one becomes available. I've brought up a few reserves for now to again add more English players to the squad, E.G Campbell, Bigirama, Streete.

I feel if i bring in some English players to the squad now, it saves me having to go out and buy ones i don't want in the future, just to make the regulations on the squad registration

Looking forward to this challenge. 2 Friendlies left and then the season kicks off. Top 10 is a must and i'm hoping i can make a cup final.

My team is playing horribly. Though I'm currently 3rd in the table after 13 games, all I can seem to do is scrape 1-0 wins. HBA is no good AT ALL at AMR as an IF (0 goals and 2 assists in 13 games), Zaha has proven to be WAY better, but I love HBA, and after seeing what he can do for some of you, I want him to get to play well for me! Yanga-Mbiwa seems to be hit or miss, he'll either mess up badly or do fine. Cabaye as a DLP has done nothing getting 2 assists and 1 goal in the 13 games. Cisse has 5 in 13 games, playing as an AF (now switched to Poacher and still does nothing). My AML (either Gaitan or Ince) do even less than my AMR's do (which is basically nothing).

I can't depend on sheer luck going forward. I need some tactical advice. I created a fantastic 4-2-3-1 on FM13, which is just useless on FM14, and so far this year, no tactic has worked for me, like my FM13 tactic did. I prefer to play a 4-2-3-1, but with what Newcastle had available I went with a 4-1-2-2-1.

fhkBSqw.png

I pretty much have 0 individual player instructions. My back four are all relatively quick, and with 3 central midfielders, I'd expect my Newcastle team to be able to press high and keep possession of the ball.

I'd really appreciate some help, because I hate the way my Newcastle team play at the moment. Scoring in general has been my biggest issue with this years FM, and I don't know what to do anymore....

Cisse will be isolate playing as a lone poacher. Either set him play as a supporting striker or make Cabaye to CAM to back him up. Should create more chances for the whole team.

If you check the first page, you can see my recommended formations that I had success with.

Would drop down to fluid, very fluid is an opening for players to do whatever they want.

First month done and a more than satisfactory start.

After reading a few threads I've gone with tactics that can be a lot more adaptable when playing different opposition and i'm actually paying a lot more attention to opposition scout reports. I like to build on a solid defence as if you don't concede you can't lose.

Newcastle 1-0 Sunderland

Stoke 1-1 Newcastle

Chesterfield 1-4 Newcastle

Newcastle 1-0 Cardiff

Things going well so far but a long way to go yet. Been given another decent draw in the capitol one cup which I plan on taking seriously.

nufc.png

October 2013.

Octoberresults2013.jpg

PremierLeaguetableendofOctober2013.jpg

Even though my save is quite slow with all the countries and leagues I have loaded I am really enjoying FM at the moment and of course it helps when the team are getting good results. What I thought would be a very hard month for us hasn't been the case as we picked up seven points out of a possible nine in the Premier League.

The youngsters and backups scraped through against Everton at Goodison Park in the Capital One cup, we will play Preston North End in the quarter final, so I would be shocked if we didn't make it to the semi final now.

I'm 4 games away from finishing 2nd in my first season. How I've done it I'm not entirely sure. Ben Arfa might be sold in the summer, he's only managed 16 games all season through numerous injuries so I'm thinking to cash in now and bring in someone slightly younger and better.

nufc.png

November 2013.

Novemberresults2013.jpg

PremierLeaguetableendofNovember2013.jpg

Apart from our slip up against Cardiff City, we had another solid month with three wins out of four games in the Premier League. I know it's early days but looking at the Premier League table and Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal are having a really bad season so far, how can both of them be so poor with the squads both of them have ? :eek:

James_Wilko

Allione is the single greatest player in my team - he is an absolute beast. Bought him January of 1stc season and he is just unreal - cannot believe he has not been capped by Argentina in my game. He has just smashed average rating and assist record in 2018 - only half a year away from being English - surely they'd cap him?

On other topics - I had an amazing season. Winning the league cup, league and Champions League. The last 2 were a massive shock - was only on goal difference from Arsenal AND Man City in the league but the CL was won despite playing Madrid twice in the group, then Benfica, AC Milan and Bayern on the way to beating Atletico Madrid in the final.

Think I may be sacked next year as there is no way I can repeat, thinking about dismantling the team. Accepted £48m for Firerro and about the accept £52m for Benzia. Will embed a new regen GK in next year too as Koval is rubbish. That will leave Allione, Chalobah, Campbell and Pugliese as only non-regens in team and two of those are subject to massive bids that could be accepted.

Transition stage after most successful season, sounds like what Mike Ashley would do right?

October Update

Newcastle 1-2 Liverpool

Newcastle 0-1 Man City

West Brom 2-3 Newcastle

Newcastle 1-3 West Ham (Capitol one Cup) AET

It was always going to be a tricky month and narrow defeats to 2 big clubs wasn't too hard to take, espeically by the fact that we bounced back with a great comeback at West Brom. However, the lack of strength in depth showed as a mixed team fell in extra time to West Ham in the cup, a cup i was hoping to get far in.

I'm currently sitting 9th in the premiership, so on track at the moment, will definitely need to strengthen, with the likes of Cisse being moved on.

Also, i have Cisse, Ameobi, Sissoko, Vuckic, Lowton, Streete, Tiote all out with term injuries (at least 2 months)

November Update

Southampton 3-3 Newcastle

Norwich 0-1 Newcastle

Newcastle 2-1 Hull

Crystal Palace 1-1 Newcastle

A successful month in my eyes, sitting in 6th and things going well

nufc.png

December 2013 - January 2014.

TransfersendofJanuary2014.jpg

Ximo : The Spanish full back was brought from Real Mallorca for £400k, after I had agreed to sign him on a Bosman free but I decided to sign him now for the small fee. He will be Mathieu Debuchy's back up.

Papiss Demba Cissé was allowed to go out on loan after he put in a transfer request because he wasn't getting enough game time, I offered him out for transfer but surprisingly nobody wanted him until Atlético Madrid came in with a loan offer. I accepted it because he will be a key player for them and if he plays well his transfer value will get higher and he should attract more interest. Tom Heardman was also allowed to go out on loan.

I recalled Simon Tibbling because he wasn't getting the amount of game time that Bolton Wanderers had promised he would, I've played him in a few of our cup games and he has done quite well.

December2013-January2014results.jpg

PremierLeaguetableendofJanuary2014.jpg

We are now top of the Premier League although Chelsea do have a game inhand on us, which if they win then they will go back to the top of the table. I have changed our formation back to a 4-5-1 now but I am still tinkering around as Adam Campbell's goals have dried up now as he's now in a supporting role rather than a attacking one.

We are through to the Capital One cup final after a fright in the first leg we won the second leg to set up a final with Chelsea. I don't know whether to stick with the players that got us to the final or use the first team as it gives us more of a chance to get our first piece of silverware.

1225809172___Newcastle_United_Banner.png

Mid-Season 2016-2017

We have made it through the first half of the fourth season. With a few high-profile outgoing transfers, and not a great deal incoming, could I keep Newcastle on the road going forward, or would it be a sideways step?

PREMIER LEAGUE

Well, inconsistent to say the very least. From start to finish we just failed to get a good run of form going. There just seemed to be something missing at times, despite the amount of good chances and good possession throughout most games. However towards the end of the first half of the season, we started to get going, with some great wins over Man City, Spurs and Chelsea, giving us something to build on.

xfGzT2B.png

Despite the average showing, we are still in the top four, keeping up with the minimum expectations for the season.

Newcastle-Uniteds-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-celebrates-after-scoring-against-Fulham-2241420.jpg

Hatem Ben Arfa continues to be "the Jewel of the Tyne", and is still the key man for the Magpies

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Despite a great start with the draw in Madrid, we slipped up at home to Leverkusen, a sloppy goal gifting them three points. We came out in the last four games with real intent, and fired our way to the knockout stages as group winners, with highly impressive showings against Real and in Leverkusen.

sbRF7pL.png

Hoping that finishing top may just give us a more favourable draw in the knockout stages, although any team will provide a stern test.

qAObANP.png

So, it's Portuguese giants Benfica, a side which we faced in the group stage last season. Tricky, but certainly one we can win.

CAPITAL ONE CUP

Lost out to a strong Liverpool side on penalties. Not too bothered, as Champions League and Premier League are more important.

Not sure if I will be making any signings in the January window, maybe a defensive-minded midfielder, plus see what becomes available in the market, along with scouring for free transfers and youngsters.

nufc.png

February 2014.

February2014results-1.jpg

PremierLeaguetableendofFebruary2014.jpg

We have come through what I thought was a tough month unbeaten, considering we have to play Manchester City, Arsenal, Everton and Fulham who have been really overachieving. We are still top of the Premier League but we have played one more game than pretty much the rest of the league and if Manchester United win there's then we would drop to second.

The youngsters and back ups have beaten Championship side Burnley in the FA cup to setup a match with another Championship side Blackburn Rovers, who are the league leaders.

Wow, for that being your first season, there are some bizarre league placings. Man City and Arsenal have never been out of the top 4 and I am in 2018.

Same on my current save. Although going into February, Liverpool are one point from relegation zone....got a few decent players that are coming to the end of their contracts too....:rubs hands together with anticipation:

Well finally finished my first season with my little 'Sunday Morning player' challenge and managed to finish 7th and sneak into the Europa league!! I thought Kinnear wasn't doing a bad job at first, he loaned in Zaha (who I didn't really need), then he bought in Honda for nowt, then he proceeded to get rid of my 'deadwood' Jonas, Williamson, Obertan, Marvaux and terminated Goslings contract at a saving, amassing me a nice little 'nest egg' of £12 million, then he went and promptly blew the lot on 31 year old Ricky Lambert!!! Now as much as I like Lambert as a player both IRL and on the game and don't get me wrong he's scored 6 in 12 since joining, there's no way I'd have spent £12 million on a 31 year old, to top it off the fans couldn't believe we'd managed to get him for such a reasonable price as it was £5.7million straight away with £5.4million after 10 league goals!

Wow, for that being your first season, there are some bizarre league placings. Man City and Arsenal have never been out of the top 4 and I am in 2018.

I was shocked as well but it looks like it was just a bad month for them as both have climbed up a few places in March.

nufc.png

March 2014.

March2014results-1.jpg

PremierLeaguetableendofMarch2014.jpg

We have dropped down to second in the Premier League after a some poor results but we have already claimed a place in next seasons Champions League.

We won the Capital One cup after beating Chelsea after extra time in a superb game, which had four goals in the last ten minutes in normal time and then we win it in the 120th minute after Tom Ince scores from the spot to bring my first piece of silverware to Tyneside.

Blackburn Rovers embarrassed our youngsters and reserves in the FA cup quarter final at Ewood Park. It's the worst performance of the season and one I hope never happens again.

Youth Candidates.

YouthcandidatesinMarch2014-1.jpg

I was pretty pleased with our youth intake this year and these are the players that will be getting kept on.

Richie Morgan, Neil Wallace, Derek Shannon, Keith Meredith, David Goodall, Theo Snaith, Matt Trowbridge,

Has anyone got to the stage where you need to look at replacing Tim Krul? He seems to do okay for me, and I do suddenly see a lot of easier goals go in the cup games when a reserve keeper is playing (shots that seem to go straight through them, or deflect off them into the goal)

He is still only 28 so has many, many years ahead but I'd easily move him on early for a decent price if I could get a great goalkeeper in now. I'd love to have someone like ter Stegen but he's already moved to Barcelona...

Has anyone got to the stage where you need to look at replacing Tim Krul? He seems to do okay for me, and I do suddenly see a lot of easier goals go in the cup games when a reserve keeper is playing (shots that seem to go straight through them, or deflect off them into the goal)

He is still only 28 so has many, many years ahead but I'd easily move him on early for a decent price if I could get a great goalkeeper in now. I'd love to have someone like ter Stegen but he's already moved to Barcelona...

Still my number one, and do not have any plans to replace him for 10 years really. Got a cracking two young GKs(one Egyptian, one Croatian, both will be club HG when they get to 21) who will surpass him, but purely for the homegrown slot I will be keeping him as long as I can.

nufc.png

Season 2013-14 Review.

We had a great first season as we win the Premier League and the Capital One cup to complete the double. I don't think I have ever been a part of a title race that went to the last day of the season before but I was certaintly both excited and nervous at the same time watching our game with Liverpool on that last day.

Premier League Table.

PremierLeaguetableendofMay2014.jpg

In The Cups.

Capital One Cup Final: Chelsea 3-2 Newcastle United.

FA Cup Quarter Final: Blackburn Rovers 5-1 Newcastle United.

The Squad.

NUFCsquadendofseason2013-14.jpg

Star Players.

Éder Álvarez Balanta : He was my player of the season and he was bought for a bargain £7m, he was just immense and formed a superb partnership with Fabricio Coloccini at the heart of the defence.

Fabricio Coloccini : Captain Colo was awesome at the back and was just edged out of being my player of the season by Éder Álvarez Balanta.

Adam Campbell : Young Adam had a good season for us scoring 15 goals and he also made 12 assists for his teammates, he was more often than not used as a lone forward up front.

Loïc Rémy : Our loanee from QPR had a good season scoring 14 goals, he was mainly used on the left wing. I won't be making his loan a permanent one though as he wants well over £100k a week and I don't think he's worth it.

The Future.

I have decided to try and play a formation with three at the back and two forwards. I don't know yet whether it will be 3-3-2-2, 3-2-3-2 or 3-5-2, that will be decided when I see how we play in pre season and what type of players are available to sign next season.

Adam Campbell : Young Adam had a good season for us scoring 15 goals and he also made 12 assists for his teammates, he was more often than not used as a lone forward up front.

care to share how have you done that? campbell is developing alright in his first season in my save but so far he has not been performing all that well as a loner up front in my 4-5-1 (4-1-2-2-1), easily muscled off the ball and not helping out the midfield enough for my liking. have tried setting him to DLP(s) or DLP (a) or F9 or CF (s) but nothing seems to work for me. i have tried giving him full games on easy cup runs or beatable opponents, usually he would just come on around the 60-70 mins mark whenever i am leading though.

perhaps i am a lousy tactician after all

Bad luck there Spedding, new owners can be a d*** in this game. In my 3rd season I had a takeover and he was wanting to replace me with some useless manager. Thankfully he took over the club near the end of the season (think it was mid April) and I managed to win the league that season so he didn`t boot me.

What`s the plan? Restarting or just reinstating yourself as manager?

KY: I`d say the reason Campbell is struggling is your formation. Like you said he`s easily knocked off the ball, so having the space behind him caused by a 4-5-1 means when he gets the ball he has to hold it up for support. If you try a 4-2-3-1 with an AM behind him it means he`s less likely to be pushed off the ball, and having a creative player in the CAM position should encourage more through balls which with his pace you want him getting.

care to share how have you done that? campbell is developing alright in his first season in my save but so far he has not been performing all that well as a loner up front in my 4-5-1 (4-1-2-2-1), easily muscled off the ball and not helping out the midfield enough for my liking. have tried setting him to DLP(s) or DLP (a) or F9 or CF (s) but nothing seems to work for me. i have tried giving him full games on easy cup runs or beatable opponents, usually he would just come on around the 60-70 mins mark whenever i am leading though.

I gave him the first three seasons to bulk up. Now his all-round stats are very good, and he is my first choice ahead of Fierro and Zapata.

Into season 2018 and I survived a take over, got offered FC Bayern and Holland international positions.

The current line-up.

Goalkeepers

Jack Butland, Victor Valdes.

Defenders:

Alex Sandro, Lucas Digne, Juan Jesus, Stefano Diswell, Steven Taylor, Elio Carpadossi, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Sebastian Corchia.

Midfield:

Jack Rodwell, Leon Goretzka, Will Hughes, Kesukie Honda.

Attacking Midfielders:

Georgino Wijnaldum, James Rodriquez, Juan Fernando Quintero, Fred

Wingers:

Raheem Stirling, Bruma.

Strikers:

Vaclav Kadlec, Khouma Babakar, Alexandre Pato, Jesse, Adam Campbell.

Still haven't won the league but we it could be this year, after winning the Champions League we got a £50m transfer budget. So I am looking to bring to 4-5 star players.

Bruma is just the best winger I have bought and Striling is getting better as each season progresses.

Quintero is scoring almost every game and is truly a gem of a player. I got him for £1,5m and he valued at £26m now. Rodriguez is also a constant threat and being retrained into a left winger.

Onwards and upwards :)

Into the semi finals of the Champions League in my second season! And the last 4 teams are myself, Juventus, Basel and Celtic so I could have a good chance of getting to the final and even winning it. Just hope I don't get Juve in the semis now.

EDIT: I got Basel! Great chance for me. I'm also in great contention for the Premier League but fixture congestion and tired players mean it's going to be tough.

I had Adam Campbell tutored by Papiss Demba Cissé for the first half of the season and I am using the Complete Forward training for him as I want to make him a complete forward and not just a Poacher.

I normally played him as a Advanced Forward with a Advanced Playmaker supporting him in a 4-2-3-1 Deep, I also used him as a False Nine when we played a 4-5-1 but he obviously was more of a creator rather than a scorer when he played that role.

Led Newcastle to 2 2nd place finishes, a Capital One Cup and a Champions League final and the new chairman decides to sack me. Save totally ruined.

That's a shocking decision by the new chairman :(, how can he sack you after what you've done, Are you going to start a new Newcastle save ?

Seems like something SI want to have a look at, Newcastle start as a mid-table team, if people are getting them up in and around the Champions League/league winning positions then there`s no way a new owner would sack them as soon as they took over.

Archived