FM14: Inter Milan - Shooting for Europe!

D0bi

Have just completed my first season with Inter and managed to finish fourth as missed out on 3rd by goal difference.

Transfers In

Giuseppe Bellucci - 1.8mln

Andrea Bertolacci (CO) - 2.4mln

Marco Verratti - 14mln

Transfers Out

Christian Chivu - free

Ricardo Alvarez - 2mln

Jonathan - 2.8mln

Formation - 4-1-2-1-2 (Diamond)

GK - Handanovic, Carrizzo

LB - Perreira,

RB - Nagotomo, Zannetti

CB - Jesus, Bellucci

CB - Rannochia, Samuel, Andreolli

DM - Cambiasso

CM - Verratti, Kuzmanovic

CM - Taider, Bertolacci

AM - Kovacic, Guarin

FW - Milito, Icardi

FW - Palacio, Belfodil

Summary

Pleased with defence as conceded the fewest goals in the league but apart from Palacio in the last few games none of my strikers were able to get into any sort of form. Kovacic was star performer and top scorer with 12 goals and especially pleased with defence. Strike force will need sorting out for next season.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good solid first season there with some strong transfers too. Unlucky on missing out on the Champions League (who finished above you?).

If you stick with them, Icardi and Belfodil can become exceptional but they need a season or two to grow properly.

0BPZcWr.png

September 2014 – Inter Milan

Serie A

EJYhOtg.png

We didn’t deserve to lose to Juventus. We was heading to a draw until we conceded a free kick in 90+2 minutes which Pirlo, took the free kick and Asamoah headed in, which was Juventus only shot on target in this match. We had plenty of chances but just couldn’t get them back of the net. Even Conte, admittedly they got lucky to beat us. Our next match was against Padova at home, Mitrovic bagged a double for us alongside with Mudingayi. Mitrovic could have been the hat trick hero, had 3 CCC to his name.

We travel to Palermo after our win over Padova. I decided to rotate few players and left Mitrovic on bench and start with Palaico in his place, which he didn’t disappoint with 2 goals to his name. Nice to see Kovacic bagging a goal after having a good season for us, also Belfodil as well. Amazingly we had 8 CCC against them, Belfodil x4, Palaico x 2 and Kovacic x2. Would have been nice if they put few of them away.

Then we face Sampdoria at home, decided to play Mitrovic and Belfodil as our striker pairing against them. I feel they work brilliantly together. We took the lead after 15 minutes thanks to Mitrovic. Balatna got injured in 25th minutes which took the wind out of our sail. Replaced him with Juan Jesus. And 10 minutes later they scored from corner thanks to Salamon’s header, which we went in half time, 1-1. Thanksfully our strike duo manage to kill the game off in 2nd half.

hcb2zh9.png

Champions League

c3XqY9Y.png

What an decent start to our Champions League. Made one change which I handed Joe Obi his first start in the midfielder for us, which he got MOTM for us. We was battered in first half by them. Belfodil beat Subotic to hit the winner for us. We managed to hold out til the end to claim 3 points away from home.

We went behind after 3 minutes against Olympiakos and Belfodil pulled one back for us in 21st minutes. At half time I decided to hand Barbosa his debut which he replaced Palacio, which he repaid me by grabbing his first goal for us on 58th minutes. Unfortunately we gave away a penalty on 60th minutes before Schar popping up to head in from the corner to give us another 3 points!

Transfers

IixUyI1.png

Decided to bring in Szczensy. 4.4M for him is a bargain! Handanovic isn’t getting any younger, I will get him to tutor Wojciech when he comes here in January.

hx00KuU.png

I have also signed a Turkish regen keeper. He won’t be joining us til 2016. My chief scout rated him very highly and promising keeper.

Forgot to mention I made 3 changes to our backroom staff over the summer.

VTorV1o.png

I’m really pleased to see I finally got Borrell as HOYD. Tried to get him while he was at Liverpool. Got released in the summer which I approached him straight away and he signed for us.

Honda is being chased by Spurs, keep getting news that AVB was spotted at my games, Thinking about cashing him in. Any advice?

Handanovic is being sniffed around by Arsenal.

0BPZcWr.png

October 2014 – Inter Milan

Serie A

0VLsyD7.png

We started the month with an away fixture against Cagliari. Took Mitrovic 5 minutes to take us in the lead. Thankfully we had a penalty which Schar stepped up to double our lead. We took our foot off the pedal in second half, which I was hoping to extend our lead to 3 or 4. Cagliari scored in 79th minutes to set a nervy last 11 minutes for us. Good we managed to see it out to get 3 points.

Next match was at home against Bologna, Belfodil decided to be our hat trick hero and lead us to 4-1 win. Honda bagging the other goal.

Tough match against Atalanta, It was even consented match between us. We had chances to score but just didn't take them. Such a shame to draw as I was hoping to open up the gap on Udinese.

We entertained Sassuolo at our place. They couldn't cope with Belfodil during the match, and Ishak could have grabbed a couple but it was straight at the keeper. Another clean sheet for us.

ixOIaaz.png

Champions League

Xhzgaql.png

We came up against Dinamo. I was confident of a win against them, thanksfully we raced to 3-0 at half time thanks to Belfodil bagging a brace and goal from Honda. We conceded in 80th minutes. We are currently sitting top with 5 points ahead of Dortmund and Olympiakos with 3 games to go.

Fingers crossed that'll get some excellent new Youth in to the squad. How has Szczesny done for you, if he's back from injury?

Hopefully D0bi :D

I'm just coming to the end of November, He haven't joined us yet. I don't think he will be playing til after March.

Hahah, my bad :D

How you getting on with Bayern?

Despite doing nothing different to what I normally do, the players weren't learning the tactic at all (It seemed to be stuck half way) so they were playing at about half the level they could. That said, I think I've played 10 games (not including the unbeaten pre-season) and only lost once, to Chelsea in the Super Cup. It got a bit frustrating in that we'd play awful, yet win 3-0 practically every match. It was also getting annoying that three of Kroos, Muller, Gotze, Shakiri, Thiago, Martinez and Schweinsteiger would have to be on the bench because they have such a good midfield.

Reloaded my Inter save, next match is Livorno. Noticed that Zaza hasn't actually scored a league goal in the game (and I'm in my 3rd season) so I'm going to play him until he scores. I don't understand why he's done so poorly at Sassuolo (7 games no goals) and Cagliari (16 games no goals) as his attributes suggest he's excellent.

He's not actually played for me yet (he's been out on loan at the clubs mentioned above) but I'll be playing him as an advanced forward. The game rates Poacher and then AF as his most effective roles so he should do quite well.

Just had this ruled out for offside (It hit's Rescaldani [The player just outside the 6 yard box] in the face before going in). Fuming.

Untitled_zpsb04b7af8.png

EDIT: He scored anyway 5 minutes later, looked like he was offside too. This ref is having a 'mare.

EDIT 2: My "playing Zaza until he scores" philosophy didn't take long!

zaza_zpsc0ea867f.png

Yeah just shows that nobody was using him correctly, really.

Untitled_zpsc328bae1.png

Just asked the Board for a new stadium, they declined so I took a risk and leaked it to the press. 'lo and behold, the Board are planning a new stadium. Should help us beat Juventus financially in the long-run. I just hope it's got as many seats (or there abouts) as the Giuseppe Meazza does.

Yeah just shows that nobody was using him correctly, really.

Untitled_zpsc328bae1.png

Just asked the Board for a new stadium, they declined so I took a risk and leaked it to the press. 'lo and behold, the Board are planning a new stadium. Should help us beat Juventus financially in the long-run. I just hope it's got as many seats (or there abouts) as the Giuseppe Meazza does.

Lucky you! How big will this new stadium be?

I'm not sure, I've not actually had a news item about it, it has just appeared in the Boardroom section. I don't see myself having to spend any money on transfers for the next 3 years or so, barring an offer that's too good to turn down so it seems a good idea for the excess money to be used on a stadium that we own.

Plus, I love the fact that there's a chance I could be managing at the Zanetti stadium in a few years.

I'm not sure, I've not actually had a news item about it, it has just appeared in the Boardroom section. I don't see myself having to spend any money on transfers for the next 3 years or so, barring an offer that's too good to turn down so it seems a good idea for the excess money to be used on a stadium that we own.

Plus, I love the fact that there's a chance I could be managing at the Zanetti stadium in a few years.

0BPZcWr.png

November 2014 – Inter Milan

Serie A

jregPFI.png

We started with a tough match away to Roma, I was expecting a draw at least before the match. We went behind thanks to De Rossi's opener goal for them. Roma was all over us in first half and second half it was us who was all over them, It was great to see the team scoring 2 goals in 3 minutes. We had chances to put the game to bed but couldn't break through Roma's defence nor could they to our defence.

Next match was home to AC Milan. I decided to put our mentality to control before the match. Once again, we fell behind after 2 minutes. It wasn't long til we equalised through Taider 3 minutes after they scored. Went in half time 1-1. 51 minutes gone, We had a corner which Kovačić floated the ball in the penalty box, De Jong decided to push Illarramendi which the ref gave us the penalty, which Palaico converted to give us the lead. Milan equalised on 71 minutes via Poli's long shot. Looks like it was heading for a draw until we had another corner which Milan failed to clear the ball away and Illarramendi booted the ball into top right corner to give us 3 points with 4 minutes left on the clock!

Torino always plays well against us, and both team just couldn't break eachother until Illarramendi broke the deadlock on stroke of half time, which I was relief about. I decided to replace Zanetti who was playing as MC and was shattered, brought on Knudsen for his league debut for us. Which he didn't disappoint by bagging a goal on his debut to extend our goal lead against Torino. 20 minutes later Honda scored 26 yards free kick to put the game to bed.

Before the game Walter Mazzarri told the media that he doesn't like me so I responded that I don't give a **** about it. Switched our mentality to attacking. 2 minutes into the game Murru, played Kovačić into the box and crossed it to Corchia who was in the box and blasted it into the corner with his left foot, he could have bagged another goal but his shot hit the woodwork. Marcos Alonso conceded a corner after 8 minutes which Kovačić took the corner and Schar was on the end of it to head it in the goal to double our lead to 2-0. We had another corner again on 18th minutes with another goal from Schar once again to take the lead to 3-0. Kovačić bagged assists to all 3 goals. I decided to take him off at half time as he was knackered and jaded. I brought on Knudsen and second half was boring but we was keeping the ball well. We gave away a corner on 59 minutes which was headed in by Rodriguez of Fiorentina. I was confidence that my team going to see the rest of the game out which they did.

5wcUDLO.png

We have opened up 6 points over Udinese after they was held at home to Cataina.

Champions League

9JHiZRl.png

No surprised to see we stuffed Dinamo with 4 goals. Mitrovic was on fire on that night and could have got 4 or 5 goals to his name. After the match, it was confirmed that we have qualified for next round.

I'm quite surprised we put 5 past Dortmund. but 2 goals thanks to Hummels making 2 crucial mistakes to gift us the goals :D Our strikers was having a stormer against Dortmund, both has 9.4 rating. I decided to take off Honda for Luca Pedicini on 57 minutes and it wasn't long til he bagged his first goal for the club which was pleasing for me.

zx2pjLB.png

Get in my son :cool:

Now we are 6 points clear of 2nd place, I will be rotating the team for our last match which is away to Olympiakos.

I never got a new stadium but now I tried your way - leak to the press and it worked! So happy right now! Thanks for that :) My current transfer budget remaining is 387M€ and wages 3.79M€ p/m so finances wont be a trouble in my game.

p.s. this will be a long year to wait till it is built...

I did what you did and leaked it to the press and just noticed they're planning for new stadium :D

The tactic seems a extremely successful then! We're 3 for 3 today trying for a new stadium. Just stupidly agreed to sign Gaston Gil Romero for £5m in January. I don't need him, my midfield is already packed but I couldn't say no at that price. I'll probably loan him out for the remainder of the season and look to make a profit off him, unless someone comes in with a monster bid for a midfielder in the summer.

You said it pal :D Any news on the new stadium yet?

Who is your U's19 manager?

I currently got Ivan Couto as U's19 manager, U's19 are 6th in the league (P16, W9, D2, L5). Thinking about changing it to Borrell as U's19 manager.

EDIT: Sacked Ivan Couto and asked Borrell to take over U's19.

I've still got Salvatore Cerrone but he's reasonably young and has excellent stats so I'm happy with him. My U19's are set to play with my formation but frequently win games 7-3 or lose 6-5, I'd love to watch them in real life if they played like that. I think on a previous page I posted their stats over a season.

I have around 11 months left of planning on the new stadium still, you?

I'm thinking about bringing in Davide Santon from Bayern, They wants 12M for him. Shall I go for him?

That's still a good price, he was at Arsenal on mine when I tried to sign him and they wanted ~£30m for him. He went to Dortmund in the end. Have a look first at Murru, Abate, Caldirola and Donati to see how they've developed as they could well be cheaper for you.

I haven't played this since last posting :(

Got a bit stuck with squad management in pre-season. Probably going to start a South American career soon, try and win the Libertadores from a new nation

My Argentinian triumvirate upfront are sensational. The front 3 of Rodrigo Gomez, Mauro Icardi and Ezequiel Rescaldani are scoring/assisting for fun at the minute. Annoyingly, Icardi could have been called up for Italy until late last season but the Italian manager opted not too. He still has the chance to call up Rescaldani but the Argentinian manager has been at my last 5 games and keeps saying he's considering calling him up.

Gomez is playing in the left wing role, but as an Inside Forward (Attack) which means he plays slightly behind the other two, but it helps link the attack and the midfield a lot better. Rescaldani then plays in the centre as a Target Man (Support) whilst Icardi plays just to the right of him as an Advanced Forward (Attack).

That's still a good price, he was at Arsenal on mine when I tried to sign him and they wanted ~£30m for him. He went to Dortmund in the end. Have a look first at Murru, Abate, Caldirola and Donati to see how they've developed as they could well be cheaper for you.

I do have Murru, for some reasons he have picked up a lot of booking this season :eek: 8 yellow cards and one red in all competition. He's already one booking away from getting suspension in CL.

0BPZcWr.png

December 2014 – Inter Milan

Serie A

JBM4AAT.png

As we welcome Chievo to Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, We had chances to score before Mitrovic grabbed a goal on 18th minutes, they frustrated us until Barbosa put the game to bed in added time of 90th minutes.

I was really disappointed to not pick up 3 points against Catania, We had 5 clear cut chances and just couldn't finish them off. We was all over them, just couldn't find the net on the day :(

It was a big match for us to try and extend our lead at the top. We was on top from the start to finish. Udinese took total of 3 shots all game with one on target. Margia took a shot outside the box beating the goalkeeper and went into the net to give us the lead going into half time! Once again, I was frustrated to see the team not taking our chances. We could have went 2-0 up after Barbosa crossed the ball in which Coda deflected it into his own net, lineman flag went up for offside against Barbosa.

NR3LxeH.png

We have opened up the gap to 4 points. Would have been nice if it was more.

TIM Cup

5bnu6a3.png

Was a good chance for me to rest the first team players. Played fringe players and youth players also switched formation to 4-1-2-1-2. And Chivu made a glaring mistake to gift them the opening goal on 12th minutes. Thankfully Barbosa equalised right after they did. From onwards, we dominated the game, nice to see Pedicini grabbing a goal before going to half time. The duo bagged another goal in second half, Barbosa could have got hat trick if it wasn't the post that deny him. We got Udinese in 1/4 final at home, will probably go for a stronger XI.

Champions League

vJ6WuQM.png

A dead rubber game for me, Again, I played fringe players but I have kept first back 4 players. We went 2-0 down in 20 minutes which wasn't nice to see :( Thankfully Mitrovic and Barbosa pulled it back for us to 2-2. I thought we had a good chance of winning the game until Rocca, got himself a straight red for 2 footed tackle on 48 minutes. Which led them scoring the winner 7 minutes after thanks to Scevpoic's tap in.

First knockout Round draw

WmtNYXs.png

Decent draw for us, I was hoping to get them before it was drawn.

Zenit were probably the easiest team you could have got there, so well done! Mitrovic and Barbosa seem like a free-scoring pairing up top.

I agree :D

Mitrovic - 18 starts, 1 sub - 12 goals.

Barbosa - 3 starts, 3 subs - 5 goals.

Lost Belfodil to African Nations Cup. So I will be relying on them two on banging goals for us.

Hi D0bi great thread you have here. I just started a save with Inter and would like some advice.

I use the same tactic 1 that you have in the OP. I would like to know what Instructions you use. I'm still doing the friendlies in year 1 so I'm still tinkering around. My big problem seems is that no matter what instructions I use the possession is usually in favor of the opponent, shots are approx. 16-10 against me, and in 4 games I won 1, lost 1, drew 2 - against inferior clubs.

If you or anyone else wants to give a FM rookie some help I would appreciate it. Sorry to hijack your thread, thank you

Hi D0bi great thread you have here. I just started a save with Inter and would like some advice.

I use the same tactic 1 that you have in the OP. I would like to know what Instructions you use. I'm still doing the friendlies in year 1 so I'm still tinkering around. My big problem seems is that no matter what instructions I use the possession is usually in favor of the opponent, shots are approx. 16-10 against me, and in 4 games I won 1, lost 1, drew 2 - against inferior clubs.

If you or anyone else wants to give a FM rookie some help I would appreciate it. Sorry to hijack your thread, thank you

Feel free to join in, the more the merrier in here! :) Try not to take pre-season too seriously, the squad will still be learning your tactic and until the Tactic Familiarity bar starts filling up, your team will generally play like they've never seen a ball before at times, in my experience.

That's one of the problems I've generally had with Inter; it's tough to be successful and have a high possession rating. Inter work best in-game (at least in my opinion) playing on the counter and so I try to set them up to play for around 40-45% possession but we generally have a higher shots on target ratio than the other team.

If you're looking to play possession football, you want to look at Instructions such as

• Shorter Passing
  • Retain Possession
  • Work ball in to box
  • Push higher up
  • Hasse opponents (to win the ball back quickly)
  • Stay on feet (to avoid rash challenges)
  • and finally, Lower Tempo

Those shouts will generally set your team up to play a slow, methodical style of play that should see you keep the ball. Naturally you'll want to make use of the midfield so ensure that the middle of the park is supported by either a 5 man midfield, or using wing-backs to push on etc.

Archived