FM14: Liverpool F.C Thread - This Year is our Year!

cezar.sl

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey lads!,

Just bought the game so I'm new to this years version!

Started a long term save with my beloved Liverpool. Must say the data researchers really as always undervalue Liverpool squad and overvalue Everton! Rant over now!

sold pepe reina to napoli for 13M Euros most of it 48 month installments. bought tom ince for 3.8m Euro as a backup. bought will hughes and james ward prowse and straight away loaned them back to their previous clubs for them to get more game time.

and bought andros townsend who have been magnificient so far in the absence of suarez whois serving his ban. sturridge is on ice. aspas is doing a great job. im at the end of september so more time nedeed to let you know. Most of my buys have been over 48 months spread out as well to finance these deals. sent moses back to chelsea but keeping cissoko as he is doing pretty good and enrique is injury prone.

Any chance you could share your tactic?

Thanks!

All there in the picture mate - no individual settings made.

The one thing that I suggest doing, which I haven't really implemented yet is to have the false 9 to be told to mark tighter. It seems to bring a CD out of position and the ability to break into a counter attack. Else than that, not much else to say. :)

just a quick update! start of january, dropped from 2nd place to 6th in one month! due to bloody december fixture list which completely destroyed my team got no midfielders! lucas, allen and hendo are all out for couple of months. so is sturridge and townsend for another month. aly cissoko picked up another red card. ship is leaking in water!

89c8ea543e51a77faa9bb168b6fd1736.png

It's currently April 4th and we have a game against Sunderland (19th place) and this came up in the backroom staff meeting.

I think it gives you an idea on how good I'm doing. :lol:

edit: Nevermind, Man United drew away to Aston Villa so we are now champions. Going to play a very rotated squad (including giving everyone 10 games to get a champion's medal) from now until the end of the season.

quick question guys, in my 3rd season i won the league, my steam then did the latest update, 4th season im mid table after 12, my team looks awful, it doesnt make sense, have anyone elses tactics/game been effected since the update?

Yes, better attack, worse defence. Lamela has scored 13 and assisted 5 in 10 league games, Suarez has 7 goals and 2 assists.

Starting my third season and I've never had to start again or something.

9th in 2013/2014

5th in 2014/2015

Squad now:

Goalkeeper

First Choice: Victor Valdes

Backup: Marc Andre Ter Stegen

Central Defender

First Choices: Mamadou Sakho, Martin Skrtel

Backup: Daniel Agger, Sebastian Coates

Future: Lloyd Jones

Defender (Left)

First Choice: Luke Shaw

Backup: Jose Enrique

Future: Jack Robinson (Loan)

Defender (Right)

First Choice: Andre Wisdom (Surprised? :D )

Backup: Glen Johnson, Martin Kelly

Future: John Flanagan (Loan), Ryan McLaughlin (Loan)

Defensive Midfielder

First Choice: Lucas Leiva

Backup: Lucas Romero

Future: Pedro Chirivella (Loan), Jordan Rossiter (Loan)

Central Midfielder

First Choices: Steven Gerrard, Joe Allen

Backup: Keisuke Honda, Jordan Henderson

Attacking Midfielder

First Choice: Coutinho (Injured >.>)

Backup: Suso

Future: Luis Alberto

Wingers

First Choices: Iker Munian, Raheem Sterling

Future: Harry Wilson (Loan), Jordon Ibe (Loan)

Forwards

First Choices: Luis Suarez, Alvaro Morata

Backup: Daniel Sturridge, Iago Aspas

Future: Jerome Sinclair (Loan), Sheyi Ojo (Loan), Samed Yesil (Loan)

Now if I get Kurt Zouma in before the season begins, the squad will be good.

Here is how my save has started.

Transfers:

ggeb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tactic:

9crm.jpg

League Position:

6wxc.jpg

Drew the first league game 2-2 at home vs Cardiff, but I beat Arsenal 2-1 away and Man United 1-0 at home (Stevie G playing as AMC with the winner). I just lost 0-1 away to Chelsea due to a dubious penalty early in the game. It didn't help that Suarez (twice) and Coutinho missed clear cut chances 1-on-1 vs Cech in the second half. My other league games were against West Brom (4-1 home win) and against Crystal Palace (4-0 away win).

Just about wrapped up my transfer dealings. Did not go as planned since I couldn't seem to sell anyone :/

ggGpxdj.png

The Ola John transfer turned into a lot more when I had to pay an extra 4M to buy him from his owner. But I like playing with wingers, so he will be very helpful. I'll probs use Sturrridge as my main striker till Suarez can play, whilst rotating with a youngster.

Alright, I may as well have my end of season 1 post here now. Be warned, this is going to be an extremely in depth post, so it will be quite the read so bear with me. I will include a couple of pictures for those who just want a brief overlook of my progress.

League

0d463b715cd09b33f3523d83becd85d3.png

Results 1

Results 2

My team destroyed the league. The highest points tally I've ever gotten in the Premier League in all of the Football Managers I have played - and this is the first season.

Although the team didn't score the most goals, compared to what I have seen, I do prefer having a defensively solid team over anything. Most of the home games that I played, I was averaging around 65% possession and away, just a little less - only conceding possession to Manchester City early on in the season and the Arsenal game I am about to mention.

The team failed to score in one game, a 0-0 draw against Arsenal away. They dominated us but Mamadou Sahko led the team to an awesome victory.

Towards the end of the season, the team seemed to conceded a little more often than I wanted to, but we did have three away games in a row and a very tough game against Manchester United. But I am definitely overall happy with how the team performed throughout the season.

By the way, that Crystal Palace game was played with a completely rotated squad, with Jerome Sinclair getting the goal.

Domestic Cups

http://gyazo.com/140e4f9263bb4eaeeb7ac45a5ff6d40d.png[/b]"]Results

Had a great rotation policy for these games and it made me realise how good some of my youth players are. Especially Jordan Rossiter and Jerome Sinclair.

We got pretty lucky with the draws, in all honesty. The Manchester City game, they played a rotated squad and I took them seriously. Oh well. ;D

Player Analysis

ed69b7241bd61ba18da617584cd80723.png

I am disappointed with the goals to games ratio from Suarez - he's my only striker that I use (with Sturridge rotating when he is unavailable) and the kind of goals:games is not good enough for an apparent world class striker. I will blame that on my tactics for now, but I want to see a lot more from him next season.

Else than that, I'm happy with how my team has performed. But I think I could do with another striker, sell maybe Agger, Coutinho (he is worth £36.5 million!), Mignolet and bring in a world class 'keeper (not Victor Valdes as his wage demands were out of this world) and maybe buy another central midfielder as Gerrard seems to be on his last legs.

Transfers

(I also loaned out Luis Alberto and Jose Enrique after he got pissy at me for fining him for getting his fourth red card)

Mario Pugliese was loaned out to Fleetwood Town for the season and helped them storm to promotion to League 1.

[/url]Will Hughes had a very solid first season, starting a lot more than I expected because of the injury proneness of Gerrard. But he also had a lot of development because of two (one ongoing) tutoring spells with Gerrard and his attributes are shooting up.

Timo Horn was originally my back up 'keeper but then he performed pretty well in some of the cup games so I decided to give him a go in the league and he did not disappoint. A bargain for his quality, that's for sure.

Kyle Walker's average rating is very misleading because he made an average of 3 interceptions and 5-6 tackles per game.

Blaise Matuidi was a bargain for his price - again making a lot of tackles per game and a lot of interceptions. He was probably one my players of the season, in all honesty. It's a shame that he isn't going to the world cup

Balanta , however, was one of my players of the season in terms of development. Look at that progress. He is now my undisputed first pick on the first 11 alongside Suarez. He doesn't tackle much, although he doesn't really need to because he's an interceptions machine. I'm pretty sure I saw him grab over 20 interceptions in a game at one point. He is amazing and well worth the money.

Ryan Gauld is developing well and had two loan spells with Preston and surprisingly Norwich City - performing pretty average, but the game time is important for such an early age. He also made his Scotland debut at some point, which was pretty cool.

John Souttar had a great loan spell out at Dundee United, playing as both a centreback and a central midfielder. I have loaned him out to the club for next season to aid his development even more.

Lorenzo Insigne was another superb signing - rotating on both wings to provide a versatile attack with Coutinho and Sturridge when either one was rested. May play a larger part in the next season, depending if I want to sell a £33.5 million rated Coutinho.

Mowinckel and Kvien are two bargain signings from Valarenga (who always tend to have great youth players in this game) who I will develop and sell on for profit when they turn 21 if they don't break into the first team. Kvien had a decent half season at Peterbrough also.

Davide Santon is my new starting left back with Jack Robinson being back up starting from next season. I would've bought Cissokho but Valencia want £9 million, so no thank you.

Seb Corchia is my rotation right back for when Walker is tired/underperforming. He is a pretty good player and had a better half season than Walker, in my opinion. I will see how he develops.

I will also being signing this lad at the end of the season. English, great potential and already looks pretty good defensively, which is what I like in a central midfielder.

I sold Martin Kelly to Bayern because he wanted more first team football and an improved contract and complained when I said he already had some time left on said contract. I regret that now - he is Bayern's starting right back now.

My next post will be on youth development, I want to make a separate post so I can use more images. :)

edit: I just realised I did the links wrong. Hahaha, I will fix that.

Youth Development Analysis

In this post, I am going to highlight how some of my most promising players have developed over the past season.

My first player is Jordan Rossiter:

b2efc344bfa5d4d23c317cd9e0ad6c0f.png

Probably my favourite development story so far is the development of Jordan Rossiter. When I sold Lucas, I had in mind that Blaise Matuidi would be my starting half back alongside Gaston Gil Romero. Well, Gil Romero couldn't get a work permit so instead, I decided to try out Rossiter as a backup player. The results, are incredible. He has been tutored by Matuidi for two (one ongoing) spells now and I think he could end up making his England debut very soon if he keeps up this development.

Secondly: Will Hughes

8cadf3cbb833057ae6ff387919b09069.png

Like Rossiter, Hughes was originally going to be a back up to Gerrard whilst Henderson overtakes the more defensive duties. I, however, decided to take a risk and play Hughes as the supporting central midfielder, and Gerrard (with Joe Allen also) being back up to him. :lol: He had a solid season though. Played a lot of games in the cup and will turn into an unbelievable box-to-box midfielder in the future. I have been using Gerrard as a tutor for Hughes, to get some of those mentals up a bit.

Thirdly: Jerome Sinclair

cd71161ae4efd3995c1482a5c9ce31de.png

I think I got lucky with Jerome Sinclair in his random attribute generation. (same with Rossiter, actually). He looks amazing after a season in the youth team and 8 months of tutoring from Suarez. I played him in the final game of the season and he scored a goal and his cup games record seems to be pretty good. I can see Jerome Sinclair being a world class striker in three to four years time, and probably my future captain.

A surprising inclusion is Harry Wilson

384a7dfe5a48bcea5324e2215a5b63c5.png

The reason why he has such a high potential by the way, is because I'm using a transfer update - and the creator of the update made Wilson a -9 potential (and increasing his CA to 80 to coincide with his Wales debut). Everything else at the start of the season is randomised attributes wise, and I got the best of the lot with 20 determination - also it does make him difficult to tutor. I will play him in more games next season.

I almost forgot about Raheem Sterling

677a0d47e62e91adbec1b33fb496bd84.png

Sterling got a CA boost to 110 in the update (I think). But he's looking to be a very promising player. I played him a lot more in the latter half of the season because my coaches specifically said that he was ready for first team football. I think I will start him over Sturridge next season.

I would like to mention that I got two really decent footballers in the youth intake this season. An Indian (yup, I randomly chose a nationality for myself at the beginning of the season so I would get players from that nation) central midfielder by the name Satish Sajesh, who looks very good for his age already. And also an English striker by the name of Jim Brocklehurst who looks pretty average technically, but is developing pretty nicely.

Things are looking up for my Liverpool future. :)

Starting my third season and I've never had to start again or something.

9th in 2013/2014

5th in 2014/2015

Squad now:

Goalkeeper

First Choice: Victor Valdes

Backup: Marc Andre Ter Stegen

Central Defender

First Choices: Mamadou Sakho, Martin Skrtel

Backup: Daniel Agger, Sebastian Coates

Future: Lloyd Jones

Defender (Left)

First Choice: Luke Shaw

Backup: Jose Enrique

Future: Jack Robinson (Loan)

Defender (Right)

First Choice: Andre Wisdom (Surprised? :D )

Backup: Glen Johnson, Martin Kelly

Future: John Flanagan (Loan), Ryan McLaughlin (Loan)

Defensive Midfielder

First Choice: Lucas Leiva

Backup: Lucas Romero

Future: Pedro Chirivella (Loan), Jordan Rossiter (Loan)

Central Midfielder

First Choices: Steven Gerrard, Joe Allen

Backup: Keisuke Honda, Jordan Henderson

Attacking Midfielder

First Choice: Coutinho (Injured >.>)

Backup: Suso

Future: Luis Alberto

Wingers

First Choices: Iker Munian, Raheem Sterling

Future: Harry Wilson (Loan), Jordon Ibe (Loan)

Forwards

First Choices: Luis Suarez, Alvaro Morata

Backup: Daniel Sturridge, Iago Aspas

Future: Jerome Sinclair (Loan), Sheyi Ojo (Loan), Samed Yesil (Loan)

Now if I get Kurt Zouma in before the season begins, the squad will be good.

Stegan is to good to be a backup

Tactics look like theyre working in the new update currently in season 3 in december im 5th at the halfway mark had a slow start lost 3 of my 1st 5 games only once since then my goal is to get top 4 then the following season challenge for the title my youngsters have been great im going to sign 1 player & 2 young players every year from season 4 gonna go for youth in this save

Hey Sabine,

I really think you should start a separate post on the tactics forum regarding your tactics so that we can check it out and all help to make it better. I say this because I was completely fed up in my second season after my tactic no longer worked for some reason after dominating the first season. Regardless, gave your tactic a shot and it was amazing for me. Would be interested in seeing that mate.

sabine which transfer update you using

LFC Marshall's update - I made a couple of changes myself in the ingame editor, but they were mainly for players who I will probably never buy. (Gotze, Reus, Matic etc.)

Hey Sabine,

I really think you should start a separate post on the tactics forum regarding your tactics so that we can check it out and all help to make it better. I say this because I was completely fed up in my second season after my tactic no longer worked for some reason after dominating the first season. Regardless, gave your tactic a shot and it was amazing for me. Would be interested in seeing that mate.

I might have a look into doing that actually.

I'm currently trying to get it so the team scores more goals, so I'll probably spend most of my pre-season looking at ways to improve on that.

I'm glad it's working so well though - I know that some tactics work for some and not for others. But that's great news. :)

Started a new save after a disaster first attempt!

would you recommend Lewandowski for 10M Cash and + 25m spreak over 48 months? I got an offer accepted and he agreed to my terms. making him highest earner. will try to use suarez on the left wing as an inside forward if I agree to a deal.

Just completed my first season as Liverpool manager and I decided when I started this that I wasn't going to sign a player over the age of 18, and well, this is how we did in the Premier League:

kjXYQTh.png?1

Could this be a new 'big 4'?

We also beat Everton 3-2 aet in the FA Cup Final, and here are our best Youth players:

JBoAi70.png

hjM90KG.png

dZgeV0d.png

5kS4CQg.png

He did not had joining bayern line on my game. maybe we play different versions i got the latest one i believe as i had just bought it like 2 days ago.
He was set as future transfer to Join Bayern at the start of my save

Mini update

After 6 games, that has included a run of Newcastle, Spurs, ManU I'm undefeated.

The ManU game was a total fluke, with Sturridge snatching a sneaky tap in and an awesome Luis Alberto free kick winning it. We had 38% possession and 8 shots to their 30 odd. But I'll take it!

Sturridge has 4 in 5 despite not playing well. Luis just got back and has 3 in 2. No one is really standing out at the moment, just playing well as a team.

McLaughlin in developing well, and none too soon, since Johnson is awful.

Here is an update on my save towards the end of January. I'm sitting on top of the table and here is how the league looks like:

biwo.jpg

And here is my fixture list so far:

d2v0.jpg

And here is an overview of my tactic:

3bym.jpg

Unfortunately, Lucas got hurt for 2 months with a broken toe after a challenge from Rosicky in the recent Arsenal league game. So I had to shop for an additional DM and get Javi Garcia on loan with an option to buy for 4m euros. I also bought Carlos Fierro and will develop him as back up for Suarez.

I'm really enjoying this save so far.:)

Alright lads, I need your opinion on something:

Coutinho is currently under a £46.5 million bid from Manchester City and I'm very tempted to sell him.

What do you all think? To help with deciding, I have including his attributes and his stats over the past season:

3057344e786fa58a2807c56f0b6a3581.png

The reason why I'm so hesistant on selling him is that he looks pretty amazing and fits into my team very well, but Lorenzo Insigne outshone him last season.

Although now, I will be playing in the Champion's League, do you think I need quality all around? I have no replacements in mind (maybe Shaqiri but Coutinho is way better), however and I think that since I'm playing Champion's League football, I should keep him around..

Here is an update on my save towards the end of January. I'm sitting on top of the table and here is how the league looks like:

biwo.jpg

And here is my fixture list so far:

d2v0.jpg

And here is an overview of my tactic:

3bym.jpg

Unfortunately, Lucas got hurt for 2 months with a broken toe after a challenge from Rosicky in the recent Arsenal league game. So I had to shop for an additional DM and get Javi Garcia on loan with an option to buy for 4m euros. I also bought Carlos Fierro and will develop him as back up for Suarez.

I'm really enjoying this save so far.:)

Any individual player instructions?

Gerrard probably played only once till x-mass with always out injured thanks to internationals.

I have bought Ryan Bertrand from Chelsea for 4.5M. I play him AM-L ( Winger-Support) has been revelation! Immense player! Tom Ince even made it to England Squad :)

Season 4 is progressing well having passed the Jan window in which I purchased a young regen keeper and ML. I only bought a new ML because a 40mill bid from Man City casused Luke Shaw to become unsettled and I had to promise him that we would win the champions league to keep him happy. So if we fail to win it he may leave which would be a shame as he has finally started to become a star player. He is now an awsome natural ML and I would hate to lose him.

Will Hughes was an absolute steal at 5m and has become first choice AMC ahead of Coutinho. Nastasic was also a bargain at 6m and is as good as Sakho.

Jerome Sinclair is unhappy. He wants to go on loan as he has not broken into the first team yet. My first choice strike partnership is still Suarez / Paloschi with Alberto Cerri coming in for cup games. I also have acquired a 16 year old French regen Striker who looks very promising indeed.

However Sinclair has scored 6 in 5 games for my England team :p

I am considering bringing Gerrard into the team to get his 125th cap before his retirement.

Arsenal offered 1.4 million for Yaya Toure! Yes his value is low due to his age (33 now) but he is still a 5 star rated player and my current team captain. I am thinking that I may make Sakho captain next season.

Any individual player instructions?

Yes, a few of them. And some of them may change from game to game.

But in general:

FBs - get further forward and (when facing 4-4-2/4-4-1-1) close down more

DM - close down less

IFs - shoot less often, get further forward

DLF - shoot less often, dribble more, move into channels, roam from position

During games I may add Retain Possession, Pass Into Space, Get Stuck In and some Tempo modulation (higher or lower). In some games I've used also Much Higher D-line and Use Offside Trap as well.

Against teams that use 2 forwards, my DM becomes HB.

Archived