FM14: Liverpool F.C Thread - This Year is our Year!

cezar.sl

Gonna try my luck at a 4-4-2 formation this save play Sturridge & Suarez upfront

Unlucky there. It does take quite a while for the team to become familiar with the tactics so you gotta keep using the same one I believe and then it'll start taking form.

Pretty successful season:

F8hO2LC.png

We also won the League Cup (2-0 over I think West Brom) and the FA Cup (4-3 in extra time vs Arsenal). In both cups we played vs Chelsea in the semi or quarter finals which were both tougher tests than either final. Towards the end of the season we started leaking a lot of goals (5-4 win over West Ham, 3-2 over Cardiff and more like it), unfortunately we carried that into the FA Cup Final where we went 2-0 up in the first half-hour only for Arsenal to score three goals to take the lead. Luckily (90th minute!) we leveled to force extra time and my subs were all still fresh so after scoring a few minutes into extra time we looked very comfortable. Went close to scoring more in extra time, but it wasn't to be - luckily Arsenal barely even got a shot off so it didn't matter.

Suarez 2nd highest scorer in the league from under 30 appearances. Sturridge had a magnificent run at the only time during the season that Suarez's form began to drop. Unfortunately then he got injured. Still won English player of the year.

Suarez, Skrtel, Sakho and Sturridge all made the Premiership Best XI.

At the beginning of season two, my big splurge was on Shaw, but I also managed to secure some greek defender who is also an accomplished DM with incredible stats (name starts with a "K", but I forget what it is, atm).

I ended up selling Reina to Barcelona, but I could not find a buyer for Agger (no takers at 10m, wtf?), so I've taken him off the transfer list - he's still a great option vs sides that are not looking to attack at all as he is great at bringing the ball out of defense or receiving the ball deep and picking out a forward.

Primarily played 4-1-2-2-1, but also mixed in 3-2-2-1-2 and plenty of 4-2-3-1.

Absolutely pushed the budget to the limit, spent my transfer budget then offered Suarez a new contract (he asked), which has put me behind on wages.

That said, I'm unsackable, so it's no big deal.

EDIT: Also, Ibe scored nearly a goal a game playing primarily as a winger on loan! He's loaned to a upper championship side this season so hopefully he continues to do well.

#

Nice season. You mean Kyriakos Papadoupolous (I know I've spelt the name wrong lol) but yeah, he's great, but a bit lacking in the mental side in terms concentration I think, but he's young.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just getting to the end of September and enjoying the save so far, playing some lovely stuff in this 4-4-2 diamond I've gone with. However, two games I've played are worrying me about the long-term...

0-1 against Swansea (H)

5i80S.png

1-1 against Cardiff (H)

5i8v9.png

As you can see I'm dominating games, but I just cannot finish the chances. I watch via extended highlights and in most games, the keepers are having absolute blinders. Very frustrating, but I'm determined to at least see a season through! Sturridge in particular is very wasteful in the advanced forward role. I have him unlearning the 'shoots from distance' PPM so he may become more prolific in time.

My tactics

5i8IN.jpg

Average positions against Cardiff (1-1)

5i8N2.jpg

Are Coutinho and Aspas getting in each other's way? Some advice on my finishing problem would be greatly appreciated. :thup:

Edit: Here's another game to file under 'should have won' category!

4-1 against West Brom (A)

5iaKO.jpg

I see alot of people selling Allen for less than £10m.

But if you use him every now and then, he becomes higher rated by the coaches than Lucas (4 star for Allen) in the 2nd season and plays well nearly every match.

Give him a chance, he won't dissapoint in a deep lying playmaker role

Just getting to the end of September and enjoying the save so far, playing some lovely stuff in this 4-4-2 diamond I've gone with. However, two games I've played are worrying me about the long-term...

0-1 against Swansea (H)

5i80S.png

1-1 against Cardiff (H)

5i8v9.png

As you can see I'm dominating games, but I just cannot finish the chances. I watch via extended highlights and in most games, the keepers are having absolute blinders. Very frustrating, but I'm determined to at least see a season through! Sturridge in particular is very wasteful in the advanced forward role. I have him unlearning the 'shoots from distance' PPM so he may become more prolific in time.

My tactics

5i8IN.jpg

Average positions against Cardiff (1-1)

5i8N2.jpg

Are Coutinho and Aspas getting in each other's way? Some advice on my finishing problem would be greatly appreciated. :thup:

I would keep it simple. There are a lot of team instructions there and by reducing them, I have found I can score more goals. I would try and get Aspas to move into the channels to try and avoid the space that Coutinho occupies.

Also, as you have no wingers, there's nobody to track back to help the full backs. If the midfielders go, then there's more space in midfield for the opposition. But you should tell the strikers to learn to place shots, and also, you're not creating enough clear cut chances, only 1 in the first game, and 3 in the second. This is the problem that a lot of people have written about. Should maybe improve as the season goes on (and maybe from the patch) as your team gets more familiar with your tactics.

Gonna play my first PL game now I think. I went ahead and bought Honda for £1.2m after agreeing terms with him to come in January coz I needed another central midfielder I felt.

Phew. Came back from 2-1 down to win 3-2 with 2 late goals! Thankfully we won this game because we deserved too! Coutinho got 2 and Suso got 1 and assisted 1.

Cheers for the help guys. I gave the players greater freedom and trimmed the shouts down to four. It worked as I won my next couple of games much more convincingly. It also got the board of my back a bit.

I'm thinking that the narrow diamond isn't going to work in the long-term. I really want to find a system where attacking full-backs are effective as they can be very difficult to defend against. With the narrow diamond, you're right ADoubleK when you say they are exposed to wingers and full-backs. There's no protection and on review, a lot of the goals I conceded came from the wide areas.

The only way they can be properly protected is by playing wingers but Liverpool aren't blessed in this department at the start, especially ones capable of protection when we don't have the ball. Looks like I'm heading back to trying an effective 4-2-3-1!

Just squeezed the last drops out of my transfer/wage budgets to put in an acceptable offer to Lewandowski in the first Jan window, ******* immediately leaks the offer and Bayern come wading in, so that's probably the end of that. I've picked up Honda after wherever he agreed to go had the deal collapse. As well I've got Julian Brandt arriving on a free at the end of the season, does anyone have any experience with him/ know what he looks like down the line, my scouts like him and gave him 5 stars!

@hazzat how much for lewandoski and what contract u gavehim?

@nelle -- I su hendo and diame as b2b but yacob and brahimi or shomething are quite good

I offered him £105,000 a week and about £2.5m loyalty, £1.9m agent. He accepted my offer but Bayerns came in a day later and he took theirs for only £87,000 a week. He does have a preference to play for them though. (I'd spent all my transfer budget by then so that's why the agent and loyalty fee's were a little tight for me)

Nice season. You mean Kyriakos Papadoupolous (I know I've spelt the name wrong lol) but yeah, he's great, but a bit lacking in the mental side in terms concentration I think, but he's young.

Thanks. Yeah, I do. He has poor (10) positioning and concentration, but otherwise mentally he is ok. I've got him on heavy positioning training, but in the mean time he is already a fairly good stopper (I play a Cover/Stopper combo at the back). Only 21 he still has a star and a half to improve too, according to my assman, make him an incredible prospect. If I can get positioning and concentration up to 14-15 and maybe get his composure up a bit too, he'll be the best pure defender in the game. I'll need to play somebody more cultured alongside him, but Sakho is ok in that regard for the long term and Skrtel or Agger are both very good on the ball.

Anyone using a 4-2-4 formation?

Well, I use a 4 2 (1 DM, 1 MC) 3 1, so what do you specifically mean by a 424? As in, 2 wingers and 2 strikers with 2 in midfield or kind of similar to how I've done it?

I just started the game with Liverpool. I'm in October but yet to win a game, can anyone help me with what I'm doing wrong?

What kind of tactics and player roles are you using? You have to bear in mind that it takes the team a while to get used to tactics and you can see how competent etc they are getting with each of the aspects of that training. According to my assistant manager, the higher intensity you put the match training, the faster they learn the tactic, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Do you have more than one tactic or just using the one?

What kind of tactics and player roles are you using? You have to bear in mind that it takes the team a while to get used to tactics and you can see how competent etc they are getting with each of the aspects of that training. According to my assistant manager, the higher intensity you put the match training, the faster they learn the tactic, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Do you have more than one tactic or just using the one?

Agreed, let us know what you’re using and personnel changes please. That said I also found it a hard start until I realised that I had to stop making tactical changes to the team every week and let the squad blend a bit, I courted the relegation places for the first two months but am now sitting level on points with fourth in January so have faith!

Agreed, let us know what you’re using and personnel changes please. That said I also found it a hard start until I realised that I had to stop making tactical changes to the team every week and let the squad blend a bit, I courted the relegation places for the first two months but am now sitting level on points with fourth in January so have faith!

Haha, you're lucky! But I agree, not too much tinkering, but maybe changing of the player roles to accommodate squad rotation etc. Also, might be helpful to let your players train in "team cohesion" though I'm not sure if that has any effect in speeding it up or not or just helping with their understanding.

Im playing the same formation as you ADoubleK. Would you mind sharing a few screenies of your player roles, tactics and instructions ?

Sure, but I have to say, I'm only 3 league games into this save so not sure how it's gonna work in the long run! Also, I always have an issue with uploading screenies so will try my best to do that for ya.

Liverpool_352_tactics_png.jpg

This is my back up tactic, I'm pretty sure I've only used it in one match so far, which was a friendly, but I may try it out against lesser opposition in cups (but I think I did just draw Chelsea for the League Cup 4th round...). But I will probably make another tactic, like a 433 or something with 2 MC and 1 DM or 1MC and 2 DM, depending on who I play.

As you can see, the players aren't in their best positions. But this is just mainly to show you the roles I give to the positions. And I just changed it from the primary tactic to show you this.

Liverpool_Tactics_Overview.jpg

This is the main tactic that I use. I always pretty much play with this tactic and is probably going to be my main one, unless I get too many injuries for the wide men lol. But yeah like I said above, I change the player roles depending on the player etc. E.g. sometimes I might play Suso as a winger, or then as an inside forward. Depends on how he is doing in the game.

Liverpool_tactics_instructions_png.jpg

This is the team instructions for the tactic above.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me or anyone in regards to their tactics for Liverpool!

Other notes:

- Wisdom is actually 4* PA on my save, he's currently learning from Kolo Toure & Ilori is learning from Sakho, but Ilori isn't progressing as well as Sakho in training and he is only 2.5* or 3* or changing inbetween them. I've sold both Agger and Skrtel.

- Once Kelly is back from injury, him and Wisdom will probably be my main RBs with both of them rotating. With Kolo and Reveillere providing cover for that position. Kolo will probably be playing more games as a CB. Will see how it goes.

So the January transfer window has just closed and this is what I've changed since the start of the game:

md0i.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

Outs: As you can see there was a fair amount of clear-out in the summer, in retrospect perhaps too much. I managed to get good prices for Renia, Assaidi and Johnson, who whilst an excellent player is still a 28yo right back and that sort of price seems like a no-brainer. Agger and Allen seem fair business although perhaps they could/should have been retained. Jones was awful in Pre-season and I felt had to be replaced, even if I got terrible value for him.

Ins: Replacing Johnson has proved tricky, I looked at Peruzzi and Montoya, Peruzzi was too much upfront for right now although Montoya was a close choice, and I went with De Sciglio. The price is ok as he should last me for years but certainly he struggled a bit at the start of the season, seems to have improved recently and should be fine from now on hopefully. I also picked up Reveillere on a free; he's been pretty unused as we fell out of the league cup early and I've had no real injuries there, still he was inexpensive.

Balanta and Doria to replacing Agger seems like a good plan going forward, and I felt Agger can be less than impressive in the air at times so it seems a good swap, Balanta looks like he can grow into replacing Agger's ball-playing role directly if needed.

Diame has been a solid pickup for me for that price, allows me to play two DMs when really needed and covers Lucas and Gerrard well, Ward-Prowse on the other hand is one I definitely over-paid for, I felt he would get more minutes replacing Gerrard and Coutinho but that hasn't really panned out so far and with Honda just arriving in Jan I doubt it'll improve, should have loaned him back or waited until next season.

Zivkovic is one for the future who seems like a steal at that price, scored in his only game for me thus far :D Drogba whoever has been great, lots of goals and allowed me to play a system less reliant on Suarez who can be very patchy

4gf3.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

We started fairly poorly this season and were not impressive in pre-season either. I feel that is mainly my own fault as I failed to settle on a starting tactic and tried to learn too many at once. I was very disappointed to get City so early in the League Cup as I felt that could have been one of our best opportunities this year, despite this we were soundly beaten, they really could have had more. However since December we've had a settled formation and backup plan and the team has been pretty much all available except Sturridge who tore his hamstring after finally scoring some goals for me, that could be the death knell for his Liverpool career as he's out for three months.

o9ff.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

For the first two months we weren’t able to get into the top half of the table, I was warned three times in the media that my job was at risk and had to promise the board a win over Everton otherwise I was gone. Luckily the mid-tier sides didn’t capitalise too much and as we gathered form, league positions have followed. The top four looks like a big ask at this point as we failed to with either of our crucial games against City and Spurs that would have really pushed us on (I still held Champ League hopes at that point..) but we are looking ok to see off the challenges of Soton, Everton and hopefully also a resurgent Newcastle so European football for next season is a must.

o4x7.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

This has been my main tactic for the last few months, depending on opponent Lucas will sometimes drop back or if it’s really necessary then I’ll play two DMs and Gerrard as a CMa as in my third formation (4231 Super Def). I feel Coutinho really struggled to start with as did Suarez after he came back but both have been better at contributing as the seasons progressed. We lack a really quality option at RW still as Moses can be really up and down, sometimes he just dribbles into dead ends and shoots from miles out despite being told to shoot less but that’s an issue for next season mainly. Drogba has been good as a lone TM, really allowed Coutinho to shine as he pulls the defence with him and gives us an aerial threat that we didn't carry before. Enrique has been a consistently good performer given a more attacking brief and Diame covers both CM roles well, still trying to figure out where to utilise Honda, my first instinct is to let him be cover for Coutinho and Gerrard.

ueia.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

This is my alternative formation stolen and tweaked from http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/372538-The-Liverpool-Tactical-Experiment I find it allows me to have a little more control in certain games where the opposition is comfortable facing the 4231. Really works well for De Sciglio and Suarez who seem to get a lot of space, still not 100% sure if I like what Coutinho contributes here but I found him to be lacking in much competition for the role as Sterling just isn't up to standard yet.

I've found the squad to be more enjoyable than I originally thought it might be with Mignolet being a walking disaster to begin with but who now seems to pull of some amazing saves for me and may even survive another season. Aspas has proven very useful as well, his playing style is similar enough to Suarez that I can slot him into those IF or DLF roles without changing too much and still get acceptable output. Henderson is another who has impressed when he's played, his versatility is very handy and perhaps due to the somewhat disappointing performances of Gerrard, has looked closer to a first-teamer than I had originally envisioned.

Other notes:

- Wisdom is actually 4* PA on my save, he's currently learning from Kolo Toure & Ilori is learning from Sakho, but Ilori isn't progressing as well as Sakho in training and he is only 2.5* or 3* or changing inbetween them. I've sold both Agger and Skrtel.

- Once Kelly is back from injury, him and Wisdom will probably be my main RBs with both of them rotating. With Kolo and Reveillere providing cover for that position. Kolo will probably be playing more games as a CB. Will see how it goes.

Illori looks really disappointing on my save, only 2* pot. probably because I loaned him out though. Im impressed you've got Wisdom as a 4* I've not seen him go above 3.5 and is mainly 3 for me. I shipped Kolo out on loan, his wages are ridicuous for my 5th choice CB so he's at Roma for 70% of his wages and the option to buy for free, looks like he could havew been a handy tutor but I couldn't stomach the wages, another mark against Sturridge as well. How's Suso looking? I didnt edit his loan and he seems stroppy every time I try and talk to him about his progress.

Do you guys think that it would be understandable to give Mignolet an upgrade (using editor)? Nothing too big, maybe +1/+2 in certain attributes, +3 (to 12) in positioning, and a PA rise to something like 160-167?

He is criminally underrated, and I know it is judged from the previous season, but 9 clean sheets (also 2 in league cup) for a side like Sunderland was very impressive.

I don't know, I don't want to be accused of cheating for doing anything like that, so I'd consult the forums first.

haz - how do you play sturridge ?? targetman

Honestly, I don't. If I play him it's on the wing instead of Moses or occasionally as an IF. I couldn't get much out of him up front but when he's an IF on the left he seems a little better. Can't say I've missed him for the 3months hes been out really we've been playing our best stuff then.

Looks like i finally have a save going 5th after 8 games beat Man Utd 4-1 & drew 1-1 with Chelsea back to back games wouldnt have happened in my other saves if i survive season 1 ill sign 2 or 3 players in season 2 dont like going overboard with transfers

Alright lads, haven't been on all week. Hoping to get some game time over the wknd. Finished season 1 and now preparing the squad for a CL assault.

Worried I went a bit too mad on the transfers tho and overloaded the team. Might need to loan a few out

What are the ins and outs looking like? Also has anyone managed to get the best from Gerrard? He's only scored one from open play for me all season and that was when he played RW in an injury crisis.
Hasnt done much but hes got some assists for me

Had to start a new save, got fired on my first one, went a little crazy with team changes and it back fired!

Liverpool 13/14 Season

As I took charge of the squad, I wanted a few changes, I wanted to sign 3-4 star players by giving up maybe 2 of my own, I have never liked Suarez, so he is #1 out the door, and the other to go for maximum gain in cash, would be Leiva. So far my Plan has worked, I fetched $40m for Leiva in a heart beat, Suarez has been more difficult but there is a bid on him now for $40m. I am just about to play the first game of the season against Cardiff away from home. I ended up signing Pogba (MC) and Balanta (DC) out of the transfer budget thus far, two great signings!

First game of the season against Cardiff we dominated everywhere except the score board, a 2-2 Draw away from home with Aspas snagging his debut, and a DOUBLE!

Several days later it was finally confirmed, Suarez has left the building, and headed for FC Bayern! A $40m transfer deal. Only 1 hour later, more news broke out as I captured the Signing of Lewandowski for only $16.5m! What a steal.

And that is it with the signings, I thought I had $12m left, but it got taken away for some reason?? Anyway, 3 great captures, 2 exits.

IN

Pogba ($35m) < Juventus

Balanta ($15.5m) < River

Lewandowski ($16.5m) < Dortmund

OUT

Lucas Leiva ($40m) > Tottenham

Suarez ($40) > FC Bayern

LOANED OUT

Morgan > Port Vale

Yesil > Cottbus

Teixeira > Fleetwood

Pelosi > Morecambe

Wisdom > Watford

Ibe > Aberdeen

Flanagan > Burnley

Most loans have recall option available.

Second game against Norwich at home, Balanta, Pogba and Lewandowski all in the same team for the first time!

Team looks like this going into the game.

tlh0.jpg

25 - 7 Shots, and I ended up with a 1-1 draw with Norwich, Coutinho with the goal, Lewandowski PoM with an assist. I can't score!

Currently suffering a few injuries too:

Mignolet (near match fit)

Kelly

Alberto

Coates

Sakho (near match fit)

So that ends the update, need to get some goals, I am dominating all matches, just can't score!

Just getting season 2 underway. First pre season friendly 4-1 win against Brugge

Have sold a lot of deadwood to bring in 64m

Out went Skrtel, Enrique, Coates, Alberto, Aspas, Mignolet, Flanagaan, Reina, Allen, Kolo. With borini and assaidi about to go

Spent 107m bringing players in but all fit into the style I want

Ter Stegen 10.5m great deal and sold SM for 13m

Luke shaw 30m player I really wanted

Balanta 15m

M'vila 12.25m needed a quality player for DM

Veratti 16m passer in the middle

Goretzka 15.75m loads of potential

Timo Werner free! Could not pass up

And 5 regens who all got 4-5 stars from the scouts

I've had an excellent run since Febuary, unbeaten in the league, although we did get trounced by Spurs in the Cup. Everyone at the top seems to have had rocky periods; I just beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 2-0 with Lampard getting sent off for trying to end Gerrards game in the 90th min so I'm now (just about) in the CL spot. 3 games to go and its all in our hands with Newcastle being the best team left to play.

Hope we don't mess this up!

I just would like to ask if this is viable?

Suarez(IFa)---------------------Sturridge(Ifa)

-----------------cout(Ega)

------------levia(cmd)--gerrard(dlpd)

erniques(cwb)-----------------johnson(cwb)

----------------cd----cd------

I just would like to ask if this is viable?

Suarez(IFa)---------------------Sturridge(Ifa)

-----------------cout(Ega)

------------levia(cmd)--gerrard(dlpd)

erniques(cwb)-----------------johnson(cwb)

----------------cd----cd------

Your a player short mate

Archived