FM14: Arsenal Thread - "Remember who you are, what you are and who you represent!"

llama3

I can't covert the shots into goals...and the opponent can.

Some pity results...

Lost 2-0 Norwich (A) them having 2 shots on target vs. 7 for me

Lost 2-1 Cardif (A) them having 2 shots on target vs. 5 for me

Draw 1-1 Villa (A) them having 3 shots on target vs. 10 for me

Draw 0-0 Swansea (H) them having 3 shots on target vs. 11 for me

After 10 matches ranking 4th with 20 points, 7 behind ManU.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately due to my poor performance last season Wilshere has fallen out with me massively, so he has a pre arranged transfer to Man City in January to look forward to for £31.5m. I have arranged for Benteke £15.75m & Baines £14m to join out of his money, lets hope he won't be missed to much.

We have just entered October, and going well:

PL - Sunderland 1-3 Arsenal - Arteta, Giroud, Walcott

UCL - Arsenal 3-1 Porto - Giroud (3)

PL - Arsenal 2-0 Stoke - Giroud, Oxlade-Chamberlain

COC - Arsenal 1-1 Blackpool - Gnabry - Arsenal win 5-3 on penalties - Arsenal play Fulham at Emirates Stadium in round 4

PL - Swansea 0-1 Arsenal - Cazorla

UCL - Bayer Leverkusen 1-4 Arsenal - Vermaelen (3), Oxlade-Chamberlain

Top of the league with 6 wins out of 6. Top of UCL group by 3 points to Leverkusen, and 5 points to Porto & Plzen. Into round 4 of COC.

We have just entered October, and going well:

PL - Sunderland 1-3 Arsenal - Arteta, Giroud, Walcott

UCL - Arsenal 3-1 Porto - Giroud (3)

PL - Arsenal 2-0 Stoke - Giroud, Oxlade-Chamberlain

COC - Arsenal 1-1 Blackpool - Gnabry - Arsenal win 5-3 on penalties - Arsenal play Fulham at Emirates Stadium in round 4

PL - Swansea 0-1 Arsenal - Cazorla

UCL - Bayer Leverkusen 1-4 Arsenal - Vermaelen (3), Oxlade-Chamberlain

Top of the league with 6 wins out of 6. Top of UCL group by 3 points to Leverkusen, and 5 points to Porto & Plzen. Into round 4 of COC.

Giroud Giroud! How are you playing him? DLF or CF (a or s)?

August 2013

PREM - Arsenal 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur - Wilshere (3), Giroud

UCL - R. Socieded 0-1 Arsenal - Oxlade-Chamberlain

PREM - Swansea 1-3 Arsenal - Arteta (pen), Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud

UCL - Arsenal 5-0 R. Sociedad - Özil (3), Koscielny, Cazorla

PREM - Arsenal 3-1 Southampton - Koscielny, Sagna, Giroud

Draw for the UCL Group Stage;

Anderlecht

Juventus

Schalke

We were drawn away to Ipswich Town in the 3rd round of the Capital 1 Cup.

September 2013

PREM - Crystal Palace 1-2 Arsenal - Balanta, Vietto

UCL - Anderlecht 0 - 3 Arsenal - Heintz, Özil, Giroud

PREM - Everton 1 - 2 Arsenal - Heintz, Giroud

C1C (3rd) - Ipswich Town 0 - 3 Arsenal - Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Heintz

PREM - Arsenal 3 - 0 Aston Villa - Walcott, Vietto, Luna (og)

Still unbeaten in all competition's so far.

C1C 4th round away to Fulham.

October 2013

UCL - Arsenal 1 - 0 Schalke - Rosicky

PREM - Arsenal 1 - 1 Manchester United - Özil

PREM - Sunderland 0 - 4 Arsenal - Walcott (2), Özil, Vietto

UCL - Juventus 1 - 3 Arsenal - Vietto (2), Walcott

PREM - Cardiff City 1 - 2 Arsenal - Giroud, Özil (pen)

C1C (4th) - Fulham 1 - 2 Arsenal - Gnabry, Vietto, Arteta missed pen

The Manc's held us to a draw at the Emirates, the only blot on our record so far. Still we're 4pts clear at the top of the Premier League.

C1C Quarter-final see's us drawn at home to West Ham United, at least they haven't got Brooking now....:lol:

It wasn't playing as well as I thought it might so after making changes and saving the tactic, I ended up with about 15 tactics and then I got confused....:lol:

I have gone back to my original tactic and have now got it down to 3 that Im happy with.

I'm 4pts clear of Chelsea after 9 games and the only blemish is a 1-1 draw at home to Man Utd, bloody Manc'ers.

I've scored 24 with 6 against. Beat Juve 3-1 in Turin. Got Fulham away next in the C1C, then at home to Chelsea (Prem) and Juventus (ECL-group).

lol yeah no what you mean , so you just use them player instructions from post#394 or have you removed them as well.

thanks

No they're what I'm using at the moment and thank god I've only got 3 tactics now....:lol:

how does your tactic you posted on page 4 fair in away matches?

I have just signed Lars Bender for the DM spot so I got nice cover there with him and flamini and Arteta as other options

how does your tactic you posted on page 4 fair in away matches?

I have just signed Lars Bender for the DM spot so I got nice cover there with him and flamini and Arteta as other options

I just play the 1 tactic cos I'm a lazy git....:lol:

What I have noticed and it seems to happen whatever tactic I play, is that in the 1st half I can be like Arsenal/Barce at their vey best, BUT in the second half we look more like a conference side, passes don't get to players we just stand there waiting for the ball to be taken away, and then after being 2-0 or 3-0 up we get pegged back to 2-1, 3-2 and end up lucky not to get beaten, though its not happening so much now.

At the start of November, here is how things stand:

PL - West Brom 1-2 Arsenal - Cazorla, Wilshere

PL - Arsenal 6-0 Norwich - Mertesacker (2), Arteta, Koscielny (2), Podolski

UCL - Viktoria Plzen 0-5 Arsenal - Podolski, Cazorla (2), Sanogo, Miyaichi

PL - Crystal Palace 1-2 Arsenal - Williams og, Podolski

COC - Arsenal 2-2 Fulham - Giroud, Bendtner - Arsenal win 5-3 on penalties

Well, finally things are running better :) Results after the draw against Everton:

PL - Arsenal 3-2 Chelsea - Koscielny, Balanta, Giroud

CL - PAOK 1-2 Arsenal - Ozil, Monreal

PL - Man City 0-2 Arsenal - Cazorla, Podolski

PL - Arsenal 1-0 Newcastle Utd - Ozil (48. with 10 men red card Balanta)

PL - WBA 2-3 Arsenal - Gibbs, Ox, Giroud

CL - Arsenal 1-0 Leverkusen - Ox (dominated with 35 shots (21 on target)

Table after 15 matches:

Man Utd 36

Chelsea 33

Arsenal 33

Everton 32

Swansea 26

Spurs 24

Man City 23

A.Villa 21

November 2013

PREM - Arsenal 3 - 0 Chelsea - Koscielny (2), Monreal. Ashley Cole s/o

UCL - Arsenal 1 - 0 Juventus - Özil

PREM - West Ham United 1 - 4 Arsenal - Podolski, Arteta (pen), Vietto, Koscielny

PREM - Arsenal 2 - 0 Hull City - Wilshere, Ramsey

UCL - Arsenal 4 - 0 Anderlecht - Vietto (3), Walcott

PREM - Arsenal 2 - 0 Norwich City - Arteta (2). John Ruddy s/o

Prem Table

1. Arsenal P13 W12 D1 L0 Pts 37

2. Chelsea P13 W9 D3 L1 Pts 30

3. Everton P13 W8 D3 L2 Pts 27

4. Man City P13 W6 D5 L2 Pts 23

Right...just completed my first FM14 season, with my aforementioned asymmetric tactic (though in tough away games I drop my AMLC-AP back to MLC-AP).

The intention was to Maximise Mesut and my gosh it worked....

P 38 W 31 D7 L0 - GF 98 GA 22 - Pts 100.

This also went rather nicely with winning ALL the cups.

My tactic took forever tweaking for the first half of the season, and by February the team became a juggernaught. Chelsea were second on 85points, Everton 3rd on 75 and Utd 4th on 70. Man City were screwed by Kompany and Yaya both busting their knee ligaments before xmas. Liverpool scraped 7th with a good late run and spurs only secured 11th on the last day. So many good players, but no cohesion, and struggled for goals.

Ozil and Mertesacker got the two player of the year awards. The former got 15 goals and 36 assists in 41 games as a Treq, and Mertesacker scored 15 despite me taking him off the near post at corners to mix up my scoring. His defensive anticipation stat seems to translate too effectively to the other box!

My best signing by a mile was Drogba for 3m. As well as being universally loved by everyone, Got me 35 goals in 40 games, with a goal a game in the League and rotated perfectly with Giroud, who got 25 in 41. It took me an age to get much out of Walcott but with 12 goals and 8 assists he contributed pretty well. Also took me a while to get rambo going, with only 7 goals and 6 assists....but he did get the winner from 30 yards in the UCL final....

My biggest disappointment was Cazorla who only got 4 goals and 7 assists in an injury interrupted season.

Other useful signings were ....

Mohammed Sissoko on a free. Excellent back up for cup games, tiny wages and a decent tutor. Scored the winner in the cup semi-final too!

Juan Cuadrado (12m) - was solid bench/cover material for both wings and at FB when re-trained, and provided massive tactical flexibility. Scored his 5 goals in big games too.

Diame 3.5m - Filled in/rotated very usefully without totally convincing, and earned me 15m at the end of the season when Man City continued their collecting of DMCs

Carlos Vela 3.4m - didn't really fit in, but scored 2 against Man U in the cup, and was sold to At Madrid for 12.5m.

Balanta 9.5m (48 months) - very useful cover at the back, and positional flexibility meant he got games at Anchor man (instead of DLP) too. Has improved lots.

Jese - 6m (48 months) - The madrid kid didn't play much, and was hot and cold, but occasionally took games over off the bench.

Honda (free - Jan) - Played great in the cups (didn't register him) - 2 goals and 6 assists in 7 starts, including the winner in the FA Cup final.

My other signings were promising kids or aging tutors for largely peanuts.

The challenge is to repeat the form and integrate new faces.

Rosicky is starting to tail off, and Drogba has maybe 1 more season of being useful. Sagna still looks the biz, but Arteta is just staring to wane.

Noteable arrivals and departures in summer 2014

In (all mostly over 48 months except frees):

John Ruddy 3m (Norwich relegated)

Matthias Ginter 3m

Bakkalli 9m

Umtiti 4.9m

ter Stegen 6.75m (gladbach went down and having been listed for 20m, they offered him to me for this....yes please..screws ruddy a little!)

Borini 2.5m

Micah Richards 2.7m

Denswil 3m

Nkoulou 5.25m

Vydra - Free

Julian Brandt - Free

Lewandowski - Free

Eduardo Vargas - Free

Virtinho - Free

And some regens/freebie kids worth a punt.

I bought so many defenders because PSG, Man City etc are trying to unsettle TV5, Sagna and Gibbs, and Umtiti and Desnwill are u21, so can fill in. Also because I think Balanta might eventually become my permanent anchor man, having been a rock in said role against Chelsea and Man U. Also all purchases are dictated by resale value. I want to turn this club into a financial powerhouse having spent a fair bit over the last 12 months.

Out going:

Vela 12.5m

Diame 15m

Park 2.5m

Djourou 4.7m

Wellington 300k

Diaby 25m (!!!!!!) - having recovered from his injury, he played in all m cup games after xmas and a couple in the UCL, and for some reason his value sky-rocketed. He was suddenly the 8th most valuable member of my UCL winning squad (and doesn't that suddenly boost everyone under 30s value - wow!), and I cashed in from the obsessional Man City, who seem to want to own all the tall powerful DMC or MC's in the world. They even tried to buy Pogba too!

That said, Man City at the seasons end put in bids for: Diame, Diaby, Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs, Vermaelan, Chamberlain & Koscielny. Every time I knocked them back for one, they came in for another! I think they only bought the ones I was willing to let go! Madness. Oh and they hired Ancellotti, who had been sacked and replaced by Klopp.....

Nice season lomekian. Were Drogba and Giroud playing as a TM still or did you change that?

Either played them as TM or AF, depending on team set up, but mostly AF after Xmas. TM made my midfielders get more of the ball, but AF scored more goals. Going to try CF next year I think,...

Either played them as TM or AF, depending on team set up, but mostly AF after Xmas. TM made my midfielders get more of the ball, but AF scored more goals. Going to try CF next year I think,...

Ah yeah. I think CF may work quite well, all depends what you want though. I would have though advanced forward might have created a bit more space for your AP and Tq. Did you have the AMR set to push higher up and get in behind the defense like Walcott does IRL?

Ah yeah. I think CF may work quite well, all depends what you want though. I would have though advanced forward might have created a bit more space for your AP and Tq. Did you have the AMR set to push higher up and get in behind the defense like Walcott does IRL?

Yes! Sometimes as effectively an S R

2015/2016 season review

League: 4th (1 point ahead of spurs, went down to the last game of the season)

CL: Quarter final (knocked out by PSG, won the first leg but Vermaelen got sent off 3mins into the 2nd leg and we lost.)

FA cup: 5th round (knocked out by Villa, late winner)

COC: 3rd round (kids lost against Newcastle in extra time)

38 year old Didier Drogba finished top scorer for me this season with 15 goals in 20 appearances, Ozil was top assister with 17 (mostly from corners).

Not the best season, performances were very encouraging but results didn't always go our way. Financial results were good though, Arsenal are now the richest club in the world (helped by me making a transfer profit every season so far)!

2016/2017 season preview

I implemented Dortmund's gegenpressing last season, moving to an aggressive 4-2-3-1 and I loved it! I really enjoyed the football, and have decided to fully embrace it, making the necessary transfers at both senior and youth level in order to properly implement it throughout the whole club. This summer has been the end of an era in some ways, certain older players had to be moved on in order to make room for the next generation of youngsters, and I sold the club's star player because he just doesn't fit in with our new gegenpressing philosophy.

Transfers out:

Koscielny 5m

Sagna 375k

Arteta (retired)

Rosicky (retired)

Ozil 46.5m

Podolski 1.5m

Cazorla 1m

Sanogo 8.75m

Total = 63.15m

Transfers in:

André Schurrle 20m

Kevin Volland 25m

Ciro Immobile free

4 regens 6.95m

Total = 51.98m

Selling Ozil back to Madrid may seem like a shocking decision, but I can't have a player with 7 aggression, 7 bravery, and 11 workrate, playing in my new system. Regardless of how good Ozil is, I need players who will work hard. Jack Wilshere is now the main man, playing as AMC and playing better than Ozil ever did tbh. Wilshere has scored and/or assisted in all of our games so far, but the biggest difference has been in the defensive phase of the game, Wilshere's pressing and workrate really helps win the ball high up the pitch, and he pressures the opposition into making mistakes.

The key attributes for my new side are:

Workrate

Teamwork

Determination

Acceleration

Stamina

All players in my starting 11 (except for Mertesacker and Khedira) have at least 15 for all of these key attributes, the result is an incredibly fast, hard working side who press the ball all over the pitch. We play a direct, high tempo game, pinning the opposition into their own half for the majority of the match (minimum of 60% possession for most games).

Team for the season (R means a regen):

Ter Stegen / Chez (goalkeepers rotate every game, I don't have a first choice keeper)

Corchia / Bellerin / Dorrian ®

Mertesacker / Black ® / Lemaire ®

Vermaelen / Rossi ® / Iniesta ®

Coentrao / Gibbs / Flenley ®

Ramsey / Boucher ® / Povey ®

Khedira / Zelalem / Pacheco ®

Volland / Chamberlain / Dot ®

Wilshere / Crowley /

Schurrle / Gnabry / Sawyer ®

Yanik ® / Drogba / Immobile

Plenty of youth in the team, I'm also delighted to have developed the likes of Bellerin, Zelalem, Gnabry, and Crowley. I also have 3 regens from the club's own academy who have an excellent chance of making it.

This is the new team, hopefully they can improve without Ozil.

hi Rosso

been giving your tactic a go , maybe not played it long enough but Im having trouble getting the best out of Ozil on the right wing as inside forward and Giroud as a poacher.

hi Rosso

been giving your tactic a go , maybe not played it long enough but Im having trouble getting the best out of Ozil on the right wing as inside forward and Giroud as a poacher.

Now thats a coincidence because for the last 6-8 games neither have been playing well for me either. I am thinking of changing Giroud to a DLF, which is where I had him when I was using 4-2-3-1 in FM13.

I couldn't get Özil playing at his best when playing him as a AMC/T in the same formation.

Some people are selling Özil because they can't get him to play to a decent standard.

I'm very happy with my defence, I've let in 8 goals in 15 games and I was thinking of putting another tactic together with my 4-3-3 defence and a 4-2-3-1 attack, but when I have used a 4-2-3-1 before I wasn't very confident using it and I leaked goals.

Now thats a coincidence because for the last 6-8 games neither have been playing well for me either. I am thinking of changing Giroud to a DLF, which is where I had him when I was using 4-2-3-1 in FM13.

I couldn't get Özil playing at his best when playing him as a AMC/T in the same formation.

Some people are selling Özil because they can't get him to play to a decent standard.

I'm very happy with my defence, I've let in 8 goals in 15 games and I was thinking of putting another tactic together with my 4-3-3 defence and a 4-2-3-1 attack, but when I have used a 4-2-3-1 before I wasn't very confident using it and I leaked goals.

yeah I think he plays best as a DLF , may alter things a bit , think I need an amc in my formation with the options avaiable to Arsenal here

yeah I think he plays best as a DLF , may alter things a bit , think I need an amc in my formation with the options avaiable to Arsenal here

Yeah I have to agree with you.

I just played Liverpool and split the 2 CM's by moving one forward as an T/a and left the other one as an AP/s.

So we have the back 4 of CWB/a - DC/d - DC/d - CWB/a, then we have a (DM/d) DLP/d, AP/s, W/a - T/a - IF/a, DLF/a, so we in fact have a 4-1-1-3-1.

Just done a piccy......

4-1-1-3-1_zpsfee11954.jpg

Well we're into December 2013 and managers are going down like a Whore's dr flies. Pellegrini has just been sacked from Man City.

So managers looking for a job AVB, Moyes and now Pellegrini.

In my game in november '13 Pellegrini also has been sacked, and Rogers. Guardiola is the new City manager and Arsene went to Liverpool.

Having always secretly liked Arsenal and having started to watch the Premier league again due to a high number of compatriots active there (hint: my country is a top seed for the coming WC), I of course had to start a game with them after such a brilliant (real life) start to the season. I've had a lot of fun so far, clearly at such a club the goal is to win everything but so many of the players have their own clear style and personality which makes it great to try and get performances out of them. Players like Ozil (brilliant but hardly the hardest worker or most determined), Cazorla, Mertesacker, Arteta, ... are all great - not 'generic' at all. Only disappointment is Ramsey's stats, still a great player but obviously nothing like how he is playing today. Currently 3/5 through my second season.

Anyway, quick overview of tactics, main transfers in/out, notable players and achievements:

Tactics:

• Primary tactic is a 4-3-2(wide)-1, pressing (hassle), control mentality and a balanced style. I've experimented with a more counter/fluid style, but that simply doesn't work as well so far. Owing to some of my transfers, I feel the team are at their best when I play with a fair amount of discipline and 'owning' the midfield (3 MC), and then use the brilliance of my AML/AMR (inside forward or AP on attack) who run around a false nine (Giroud). Only issue is that this really requires the team to gel upfront, else I struggle to score.
  • At the back a very traditional flat four, always using a stopper and preferably in combo with a cover (not if Mertesacker plays though), next to my supporting full backs. We concede very little, though I'm still not convinced that Szczesny is world-class - his kicking in particular is very poor.
  • In the middle of the park 3 MC, always a tall ball winner in the middle (S or D), typically flanked by two box-to-box (but sometimes other roles). As I have no AMC I want them to move in, and with the holding midfielder behind them I can afford it.
  • On the wings an AML and AMR, initially I tried a left-slanted AMC (Ozil) but that never really worked. My ideal duo is Cazorla on the left and Ozil on the right, with attacking advanced playmaker and roaming. This means in reality they will either create or drift inside as inside forwards, and often they also swap sides (very nice to see that).
  • Upfront I struggled the most, not having played a lone SC since Ibrahimovic at Barca in FM11 (godly, if you must ask). Giroud as poacher only led to tons of missed clear goal chances (not too dissimilar to real life?), target man with a support role was a bit better, but I've only really gotten him to shine (+.35 avg rating) by putting him as False Nine in support. This really allows the AML, AMR and box-to-box mids to pivot off of him, and together with my holding midfielder and tall center halves we own the skies.

Players IN (chronologically):

• Fierro: 5.5M EUR from Chivas. Was great for me in FM13 and still looks superb. Very nice first season (18 gls in 25, 7.36), now in 2nd season starting to look world class (15 gls in 16, 7.79). Play him mostly in the 'easy' games though, he's still only 20.
  • Fernando: 5M EUR from FCP. I never liked the looks of Flamini, and that was the only holding mid. As I know that to be the key to a good CM strategy, I figured I needed a great utility player in that role. Come in Fernando, who has perfect stats for a BWM on D duty. Proved his worth with 7.70 avg in 27(2), incl. the goal that put me into the CL finals. Now worth 19M EUR and 3 caps for Brazil!
  • Jonathan Silva: 7M EUR from Estudiantes. Already a great left back (2 star ability) with plenty more to come (4.5 potential). Capped 9 times for Argentina since joining me, and part of their world cup winning side (made 3 appearances).
  • Wanyama: 20M EUR from Southampton. Surprised they were willing to sell him, and for that money too, as they just got him in for 15.5M EUR. Struggled a bit to settle in, but got much better once I let him off the leash with a S instead of D duty. Stats are world class, ratings lower than Fernando but I play him in all the difficult games so that's normal.
  • Doria: 6.5M EUR from Botafogo. Joined me halfway through the season and got 6 caps for Brazil already at age 20. Scored 3 goals in his first 6 games (incl. one on his debut), and my goal of the season (a solo run all the way from the back, defending a corner). Main reason I let Koscielny go over the summer.
  • Cabaye: 26M EUR from Newcastle. My big summer signing after the first season. Was Premier league player of the year in the first season for Newcastle. I see him as a more combative long-term replacement for Arteta.
  • Bassong: 5M EUR from Norwich. Was really happy with him at Everton in FM13, and he was a bargain after Norwich relegated. Had a terrific first half of the season (in the 'easy' games though), now on loan to FC Lorient as I made a reactive mid-year signing in the second season...
  • Peruzzi: 21.5M EUR from Catania. At age 22 already one of the best right backs in the world, with more potential (3 star now, 4 possible). Enormous first season at Catania (7.59 with Serie A activated), world cup winner and first choice with Argentina, named world cup best player runner-up and shortlisted for golden ball. I already had my eye on him, but with Sagna, Wallance and Jenkinson I saw him more as a long-term option to replace Baccary. However Juventus had a bid for 21.5M EUR (i.e. bargain) accepted, so I had to take him early. MoM in his debut game! To make room for him I sent Bassong on loan and now play Sagna as a DC in easier games.
  • Lots of 'future potential' signings: Timo Werner (6M EUR), Julian Brandt (free), Angel Correa (free), Wallace (7.5M EUR), plus some great regens (4.5 or 5 star potential with high determination) that my incredible scouts turned up.

Players OUT (chronologically):

• Fabianksi, 2.4M EUR to Locomotiv Moscow
  • Frimpong, 2.2M EUR to Hull
  • Theo Walcott, 40M EUR to Chelsea - I think he looks decidedly average, much worse (long-term) than Chamberlain, and for 40M this was a no-brainer!
  • Montreal, 5.5M EUR to Athletic Bilbao
  • Abou Diaby, 1M EUR to OGC Nice (immediately after return from injury)
  • Park Chu-Young, 3M EUR to Olympique Lionnais after a first season on loan there
  • Flamini, 3M EUR to Evian after 1st season
  • Podolski, 3M EUR to AS Monaco after first season on loan there
  • Koscielny, didn't think I'd sell him but Doria came in so strongly that I could not refuse a 38.5M EUR offer from Real Madrid... haven't missed him at all
  • Djourou, 2.4M to Real Sociedad
  • Joel Campbell, 2M EUR to Everton
  • Coquelin 4.7M to Olympique Lionnais, didn't intend to sell him but they kept coming back with offers
  • Somewhere along also left on free: Galindo, Afobe, Aneke, Miyaichi, Rosicky (wanted to keep him but those wage demands!), Bendtner, Wellington Silva, Eisner, Illiev

Clearly I haven't spent too much time trying to get the maximum fees for surplus players, preferring instead to spend my time on finding new players at the right price and selling a few big names for (much) more than they are worth.

Notable players:

1. Giroud: Struggled in the first season due to instructions, but as a False Nine he is now the highest rated player in the league at 7.81, 13 goals and 7 assists in 19 games (for a player with support role!).
  2. Fierro: Just behind Giroud, 7.79 and 15 goals and 5 assists in 16 games. I vary him a bit more in roles, as he is less of a natural False Nine. Much better as a poacher than Giroud, but then I need a game where I really dominate.
  3. Ozil: Not a surprise perhaps, but my third best at 7.60. In 19 games he has a cool 7 goals, and a huge 14 assists (true to real life then). Bit surprised as I play him AMR, and his first season was rather soft.
  4. Vermaelen: My captain, the rock in my defence, and scores bags of goals (16 in 58 games) for a defender.
  5. Arteta: Thought he would be average, but he is so professional and composed that he outplays his own stats. An assist machine, whenever he takes a corner the opposition just trembles (with Vermaelen and Mertesacker very often scoring).
  6. Cazorla: Like Ozil a soft first season, but although he's not as good as Mezut, his second one is much better. Is not very consistent, but when he's good he wins games on his own.
  7. Notable mentions: Fernando (superb 1st season), Mertesacker (same - 7.75 but in 2nd down to 7.19), Doria, Jonathan Silva, Gnabry (massive 1st season, now gets less play due to too much competition).
  8. Less than expected: Gibbs (started brilliantly but average ever after), Wilshire (very good but I play him in a 'serving' role as box-to-box, still very happy with him), Ramsey (same as Wilshire), Sagna (just average), Chamberlain (great 1st, average 2nd).

Achievements: Premier league was easy in the first season as the opposition simply switched off and/or killed each other (Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Everton and Tottenham all finished within 4 points of each other). I did not expect at all to have a chance at the Champion's League, but was gifted the luckiest draws ever: group stage with PSG (tough), Ajax (walkover) and Sociedad (idem), then Leverkusen, Olympique Marseille, Real Madrid (unexpectedly dominant 2-0 in first leg at home sealed it) and a final against Dortmund. Ended up winning it 4-1, was 0-1 down until minute 90+2 when Ozil equalized, then Cazorla, Ozil and Giroud finished it off deep in extended time (between minutes 110 and 117). Talk about heart-stopping stuff. Also got the Capital One Cup (easy draws and everyone seems to play B teams), Community Shield (against Wigan FFS - losing that would have been an embarrassment), Euro Super Cup (lucky extended time 3-2 win to Bayern) and World Club Championship (is it possible to even lose that?). Only the FA Cup eluded us. So a massive first season which I probably can't hope to repeat - right now the league is looking tough with a dominant Chelsea putting a little distance between them and me, and a tricky CL draw against Atletico (with all the big teams still in the running). I'm also still in the FA cup, and it's probably not realistic to compete on all three fronts (though I have to say I rotate massively and have Lieven Maesschalk as head physio, so injuries are far and few between).

December 2013

PREM - Stoke City 0 - 2 Arsenal - Vermaelen, Özil

PREM - WBA 1 - 2 Arsenal - Balanta, Foster (og)

UCL - Schalke 0 - 1 Arsenal - Podolski (pen)

PREM - Arsenal 3 - 2 Liverpool - Özil, Giroud (2)

C1C (Qtr-Fnl) - Arsenal 3 - 0 West Ham Utd - Ramsey, Wilshere, Vietto

PREM - Man City 0 - 3 Arsenal - Rodwell (og), Özil (pen), Giroud

PREM - Arsenal 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - Balanta, Giroud, Özil (pen)

PREM - Fulham 2 - 3 Arsenal - Oxlade-Chamberlain, Khedira, Podolski

Premier Table

1. Arsenal - P19 W18 D1 L0 Pts 55

2. Chelsea - P19 W14 D4 L1 Pts 46

3. Everton - P18 W11 D4 L3 Pts 37

4. Southampton - P20 W10 D7 L3 Pts 37

Cup Draws

Capital 1 Cup Semi-Final - Arsenal v Everton & Tottenham v Chelsea

UCL Round of 16 - Shakhtar Donetsk with the 1st leg in the Ukraine

FA Cup 3rd rnd - home to Millwall

Luciano Vietto £7.5m from Racing Club Argentina.

He's scored 11 goals in 11 appearances.

thx

December 2013

PREM - Stoke City 0 - 2 Arsenal - Vermaelen, Özil

PREM - WBA 1 - 2 Arsenal - Balanta, Foster (og)

UCL - Schalke 0 - 1 Arsenal - Podolski (pen)

PREM - Arsenal 3 - 2 Liverpool - Özil, Giroud (2)

C1C (Qtr-Fnl) - Arsenal 3 - 0 West Ham Utd - Ramsey, Wilshere, Vietto

PREM - Man City 0 - 3 Arsenal - Rodwell (og), Özil (pen), Giroud

PREM - Arsenal 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - Balanta, Giroud, Özil (pen)

PREM - Fulham 2 - 3 Arsenal - Oxlade-Chamberlain, Khedira, Podolski

Premier Table

1. Arsenal - P19 W18 D1 L0 Pts 55

2. Chelsea - P19 W14 D4 L1 Pts 46

3. Everton - P18 W11 D4 L3 Pts 37

4. Southampton - P20 W10 D7 L3 Pts 37

Cup Draws

Capital 1 Cup Semi-Final - Arsenal v Everton & Tottenham v Chelsea

UCL Round of 16 - Shakhtar Donetsk with the 1st leg in the Ukraine

FA Cup 3rd rnd - home to Millwall

post your tactic please?

Great tactic mate, can you post player/team instructions? Do you use opp. instructions at all?

Archived