Sports Interactive Community
llama3

FM14: Arsenal Thread - "Remember who you are, what you are and who you represent!"

lol. i bet he's gonna miss Arsenal.

He went to city in my game, got sacked in less than 6 months.

What team instructions are you using llama?

GK - Goalkeeper - Defend

DR - Full Back - Support

DRC - Central Defender - Defend

DLC - Central Defender - Defend

DL - Wing Back - Attack

MRC - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support/Box to Box Midfielder - Support

MLC - Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend/Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend

AMR - Winger - Attack

AMC - Advanced Playmaker - Support

AML - Inside Forward - Support

STC - Advanced Forward/Deep Lying Forward - Attack

Balanced Philosophy

Aim for possession football or counter-attacking football - dependant on opposition and how the game is going.

Started a trial season playing one tactic, which is a work in progress and our first game was home to the spuds......SHOVE IT BOAS!!!!!.

Spuds-4-0_zps6b60e773.jpg

Now THAT is how to play away to big teams! Sit organised, but can break at speed or retain the ball as needed.

Have any of you guys noticed that Ozil's not being called up into the German squad? Per and Podolski are being called but not Ozil. Odd considering his stature within the German team

Could anyone share a well performing 4-2-3-1 tactic?

Now THAT is how to play away to big teams! Sit organised, but can break at speed or retain the ball as needed.

Think we got a bit lucky tbh, their pressing was so good, we could barely get the ball out of our own half! Wasn't so much "retaining possession," we just couldn't do anything with the ball for large portions of the game.

A touch lucky, but luck is part of games. Once we scored Dortmund got nowhere near us. If you cannot out-press your opponents, then should try and keep your shape instead.

Could anyone share a well performing 4-2-3-1 tactic?

Yesterday I implemented a Dortmund inspired gegen-pressing 4-2-3-1 which is working really well :)

Very fluid

Attacking

Clear ball to flanks, roam from positions, hassle opponents, stay on feet, use tighter marking.

Sweeper keeper attack (Chez / Ter Stegen)

Complete wingback attack (Corchia / Sagna)

Central defender defend (Mertesacker / Koscielny)

Central defender defend (Verms)

Complete wingback attack (Coentrao / Gibbs)

Central midfielder defend (Ramsey / Khedira)

Central midfielder defend (Wilshere / Arteta)

Winger support / inside forward support (Podolski / Gnabry)

Attacking midfielder attack (Ozil / Wilshere / Cazorla)

Winger support / inside forward support (Chamberlain / Cazorla)

Advanced forward attack / Target man attack (Regen / Drogba / Podolski)

Thread for more ideas here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/367741-Replicating-Dortmund-s-gegenpressing

A touch lucky, but luck is part of games. Once we scored Dortmund got nowhere near us. If you cannot out-press your opponents, then should try and keep your shape instead.

That Armenian midfielder, Mkith- something, had a golden opportunity to score, Reus mishit a great cross in the 6 yard box, Lewandowski had that shot at the end too (and Mert did​ foul him). We threatened an awful lot more once we scored though, could have easily added a second at some point.

Makes up for the match at the emirates, we got sucker punched at the end and didn't deserve to lose that one. Fantastic result :)

Think we got a bit lucky tbh, their pressing was so good, we could barely get the ball out of our own half! Wasn't so much "retaining possession," we just couldn't do anything with the ball for large portions of the game.

We still had more of the ball than Dortmund. We probably created more chances than them too.

We still had more of the ball than Dortmund. We probably created more chances than them too.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776558/Live

51% possession for Arsenal, most of which was trying (and repeatedly failing) to bypass the first wave of their press. We had the ball, but it wasn't threatening in the slightest for large portions of the game, we lost it pretty much as soon as we ventured into their half.

4 shots in total for Arsenal (2 on target, 2 off target). 15 shots for Dortmund.

We got a bit lucky, but all that matters is the result, 3 points in the bag and a brilliant away win.

Wenger described a lot of our possession as "sterile possession" - had it but didn't do much with it. Sometimes on FM thats the hard thing to improve on.

My team is so German by the way, I can easily field a team with 8 german players!

ST: Regen german striker

AMR: Podolski

AMC: Ozil

AML: Gnabry

MC: Khedira

MC: Zelalem

CB: Mertesacker

GK: Ter Stegen

I think I have just seen the fastest red card.

While playing R. Sociedad in the 2nd leg of the ECL play-off's at the Emirates, Franco Zuculini got sent of after 15 seconds. We won the 1st leg 1-0 and a 30min Özil hat-trick saw us win the 2nd leg 5-0 on the night and 6-0 on agg.

Just done draw for Group Stages and we got;

Schalke, Juventus, Anderlecht

Man City got Barcelona, PSG & Celtic.

C1C gave us an away tie at Ipswich Town in the 3rd round.

Hi ATB as you requested......

FM14-433_zps043e0011.jpg

433-team-instructions_zps39a2625d.jpg

You still using this one? If so, mind me asking what mentality / fluidity you are using?

I am still using this in my main game and its Contril/Fluid, BUT I am also using another one, it is similar with a few new changes in a trial run and thats nowhere near ready.

GK - Goalkeeper - Defend

DR - Full Back - Support

DRC - Central Defender - Defend

DLC - Central Defender - Defend

DL - Wing Back - Attack

MRC - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support/Box to Box Midfielder - Support

MLC - Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend/Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend

AMR - Winger - Attack

AMC - Advanced Playmaker - Support

AML - Inside Forward - Support

STC - Advanced Forward/Deep Lying Forward - Attack

Balanced Philosophy

Aim for possession football or counter-attacking football - dependant on opposition and how the game is going.

Thanks, similar set up to me. I ment more the instructions/shouts (hassle opponents etc). Apologies for not being clearer!

My shouts constantly vary though. Depends on my opponents and approach.

Just beat Everton 2-1 at Goodison. If I had a pound for every Giroud header that hit the crossbar I'd make a friggin fortune.

Poxy referee in the way when receiving passes from team mates.

When my players had the ball they just stood there and let the Everton players take the ball off of them.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.

Rant over.

Started a trial season playing one tactic, which is a work in progress and our first game was home to the spuds......SHOVE IT BOAS!!!!!.

Spuds-4-0_zps6b60e773.jpg

what tactics & instruction you using?

Its a few posts upwards mate, use your eyes...

I play a 4-2-3-1, works well enough, just not in Europe :D i also just snapped up yaya toure for 2m and beat Man City 2-0 in the community shield :) Rejected for the England job though

382AE2AD4FAAE0EEF97288877B8A1A1D74AA89E4

Do you use OI ?

Its a new trial 433 I'm working on, it's based on the old one with a few team and player changes and is nowhere near finished. These are the results so far.

433-trial_zps454567dc.jpg

Its a few posts upwards mate, use your eyes...

Haha April fool...:lol:, its a new(ish) one.

Do you use OI ?

Ive only just woken up so sorry but what is OI? :D

hi guys!

i'm starting my first season with arsenal!

need a good striker,any suggests?

ty!

I picked up drogba for 3m - scored 23 in 27 so far (including some off the bench)

hi guys!

i'm starting my first season with arsenal!

need a good striker,any suggests?

ty!

Depends on what type of player you want really.

i'm thinking to play with only one central striker..

i'm interesting to diego costa and el shaaraway,but i don't know if for €40M they're a good move..

Ive only just woken up so sorry but what is OI? :D

Opposition instructions :)

A bit late but this is a fantastic thread indeed.

About to start an Arsenal save, It would be great to hear your opinion on some things.

- Thinking of a 2 CM/1 ACM midfield, dropping a CM for a DM alternatively.

Seems to me that I can get the best of Ozil from the AMC position, so I'm planning to start Wilshere as a CM. The question is, do I waste him there or he is as natural in the position as he is when playing as an AMC?

- I feel like I have to bring in the team a good DM. Not a wonderkid (though Lucas Romero and Porto's Reyes are on my list) but an already top class player that has at least 3 to 5 good years ahead of him and can start as an integral part of the squad immediately? So, is it Sven or Lars? Or someone else?

- Would you rather have Coentrao or Alaba as a LB at Arsenal?

- I guess Balanta is a yes then, straight away?

A bit late but this is a fantastic thread indeed.

About to start an Arsenal save, It would be great to hear your opinion on some things.

- Thinking of a 2 CM/1 ACM midfield, dropping a CM for a DM alternatively.

Seems to me that I can get the best of Ozil from the AMC position, so I'm planning to start Wilshere as a CM. The question is, do I waste him there or he is as natural in the position as he is when playing as an AMC?

- I feel like I have to bring in the team a good DM. Not a wonderkid (though Lucas Romero and Porto's Reyes are on my list) but an already top class player that has at least 3 to 5 good years ahead of him and can start as an integral part of the squad immediately? So, is it Sven or Lars? Or someone else?

- Would you rather have Coentrao or Alaba as a LB at Arsenal?

- I guess Balanta is a yes then, straight away?

I've been playing Wilshere at CM all year. Been fantastic for me.

For DM, both Sven and Lars are fantastic but expensive. If you want a cheaper option, get Nigel De Jong. You can get him for 9-10 mil. Fantastic at protecting the back 4.

Balanta, definitely.

Alaba is poor defensively. Very poor. Coentrao is no beast, but he's alright. I'd rather get Baines tbh. Between the 3 of them, he's better. Santon is another option.

First season, a LB shouldn't be priority I reckon. Monreal is pretty good. You might want to stick with him. Gibbs is ok. Between them two, Vermaelen and Balanta (assuming you buy him), you've got a lot of options. Sagna and Jenkinson can also play there is really required.

Buy a backup striker. More important...

who are lars and sven? :D

Sven and Lars Bender, the German internationals.

i dont touch opposition instructions, leave them to my ass man

Thanks for the info, mate.

Yes, I was also thinking of Baines, plus he's English. But yeah, not sure if I really need a LB if Monreal is good.

I will definitely go for back up striker. I was thinking of Volland form Hoffenheim, also thinking of bringing in Huntelaar if thats possible. He's not young but he looks like a solid goal scorer with experience.

Sven and Lars Bender, the German internationals.

thx!

Lars Ulrich and Sven Goran Ericksson, obviously :D

lol :D

2013-2014 Season

Already completed this season, it wasn't great and I am currently hanging on to my job by a thread as I struggled with my tactics.

Transfers In

(Pre Season)

Carlos Vela £3.4m, signed as a versatile back up player.

Xabi Alonso £24.5m, I wanted him to be the DLP in a possesion based tactic.

Timo Werner £4.4m, young striker who is potential wonderkid but I immediately loaned him back to Stuttgart for the season.

(January)

John Mensah Free, a back up centre bak who got injured in his first appearance!!

Miguel Britos £2m, another back up centre back signed as I attempted a 3 CB tactic.

Transfers Out

Arteta £5m, Bendtner £500k, Frimponh £500k, Fabianski £1.5m, Diaby Free.

I started the season with the intention to play a 451 possession based 4-2-3-1 but I couldn't get it to work so I went for a 3-6-1 (3-3-1-2-1) and 5-4-1 variation just to get through the season as my job seemed to hang on Very insecure/precarious from November until the end of the season. My performances in the League and Champions League was poor.

Premier League - 8th (Luckily qualified for Europe via the fair play way in :brock:)

Champions League - 3rd in group stage.

Euro Cup - QF.

FA Cup - 5th Round.

Capital One Cup - Runners Up

Top Scorer:- Giroud 24 (14 league)

Most Assists:- Ozil 21

Highest Ave Rating:- Ozil 7.22

Best 11 (5-3-1-1):- Szczesny; Monreal, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Sagna; Wilshere, Flamini, Alonso; Ozil; Giroud;

I managed to keep my job over the summer, although I'm on a rolling contract which is worrying so I will have to tread very carefully. I must admit I am enjoying the added pressure of playing for my job every game.

I am still using this in my main game and its Contril/Fluid, BUT I am also using another one, it is similar with a few new changes in a trial run and thats nowhere near ready.

Hi Rosso

where do you find corzorla and ozil play best in your tactic you posted further up this page as I notice you don't use a amc?

cheers

2014-2015 Pre Season

A summer of upheaval, a European adventure and a manager left in limbo.

This summer I managed to hang on to my job to my surpise, I put it mainly down to the fact I had a nice Euro Cup run with some very poor teams to face which meant I could test some new tactics which would be more like the original formations I wanted.

Transfers In

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool) £3.1m, Andre Schurrle (Chelsea) £8.25m, Victor Valdes (Barcelona) free, Rever (Atl Minero) free, Will Hughes (Derby) £13.5m, Sergi Roberto (Barcelona) £7.5m, Marquinhos (PSG) £3.4m, Andrea Grosso (Genoa) £750k, Diego (Werder Bremen) Free.

A good summer with world class keeper Valdes joining, centre backs Sakho, Rever & Marquinhos adding depth there, midfielders Hughes, Roberto & Diego providing the technical ability I’m looking for and attacking winger Schurrle coming in to provide support for the strikers. I also signed youngster Grosso who is a young Centre back and could be a big player in the future. I wanted to sign young players who could be in and about the main squad and I’m pretty happy with the players who have come in.

To fund the incomings I sold numerous players which boosted the club funds by £52m. So out went Ramsey (Man City) £28m, Campbell (Newcastle) £4.9m, Mertesacker (PSG) £4.6m, Vela (Liverpool) £4.3m, Podolski (Schalke) £3.1m, Park Chu-Young (Bologna) £2.2m, Flamini (Everton) £2m, Miyaichi (Stoke) £1.7m, Djourou (Torino) £1.6m, Mensah, Miquel & numerous others left on a free transfer.

In the Euro Cup we was drawn against Lincoln of Gilbrator and beat them 9-0 at home and set a new club record in our 16-0 away game to win 25-0 on aggregate. We then met Honka of Finland who we laboured to a 2-1 win at home in the first leg but then smashed 7-1 away to win 9-2 on aggregate. Next up was Israels Kiryat-Shmona, first was an away win 2-1 and a 4-0 home win followed to make it 6-1 on aggregate. In the play off game we was paired with Grasshoppers of Switzerland who represented a step up in class but we dispatched of them with a 3-0 away win and a 5-0 home win.

Things look more promising for the season ahead so lets hope I get to provide a second season update, my job is still very insecure.

Hi Rosso

where do you find corzorla and ozil play best in your tactic you posted further up this page as I notice you don't use a amc?

cheers

Hi Mitch, would have been in earlier but just been demolishing some wannabe's.:lol:

As you know I play a 4-1-2-2-1 (433) and I usually have Özil IF/a on the right and Cazorla W/a on the left.

I have played Cazorla and Özil in the AP/a if Wilshere is unavailable.

The W/a has player instructions of; More Direct Passes, Get Further Forward, Stay Wider.

IF/a player instructions; as the W/a but with Dribble More added.

I usually alternate them with Walcott, Ox, Podolski, Gnabry.

How the hell did you snap up Marquinhos for £3.4M and Sakho at £3.1M? And even convince them of coming to a club that finished 8th?

How the hell did you snap up Marquinhos for £3.4M and Sakho at £3.1M? And even convince them of coming to a club that finished 8th?

Both transfer listed by their clubs, I'm guessing our reputation hasn't dropped to dramatically as we was 5th favourites to win the league at 6-1, Liverpool was 16-1 so I guess the Sakho deal makes sense.

Hi Mitch, would have been in earlier but just been demolishing some wannabe's.:lol:

As you know I play a 4-1-2-2-1 (433) and I usually have Özil IF/a on the right and Cazorla W/a on the left.

I have played Cazorla and Özil in the AP/a if Wilshere is unavailable.

The W/a has player instructions of; More Direct Passes, Get Further Forward, Stay Wider.

IF/a player instructions; as the W/a but with Dribble More added.

I usually alternate them with Walcott, Ox, Podolski, Gnabry.

thanks , seems like they play alright in them positions then , just wasnt sure on Ozil on the right but will see how it goes with them player instructions added, how is your new trial based on this tactic going?

thanks again

Well, finally got my Career save game up and going (work loads of hours, shame). Anyway, here goes:

PL - Arsenal 4-0 Aston Villa - Giroud, Ozil, Jenkinson, Walcott

UCL - Arsenal 5-0 PSV - Giroud (4), Monreal

PL - Fulham 2-3 Arsenal - Walcott, Giroud (2)

UCL -PSV 2-1 Arsenal - Rosicky - Arsenal win 6-2 on aggregate

PL - Arsenal 1-0 Tottenham - Walcott

So overall a very good start. PSV game was weakened side, and progressively switched on a few younger players, so I was not too concerned. Walcott and Giroud have been very effective in attack so far this season.

Capital One Cup 3rd Round

Arsenal v Blackpool

UEFA Champions League - Group E

Arsenal (ENG)

Porto (POR)

Bayer Leverkusen (GER)

Viktoria Plzen (CZE)

thanks , seems like they play alright in them positions then , just wasnt sure on Ozil on the right but will see how it goes with them player instructions added, how is your new trial based on this tactic going?

thanks again

It wasn't playing as well as I thought it might so after making changes and saving the tactic, I ended up with about 15 tactics and then I got confused....:lol:

I have gone back to my original tactic and have now got it down to 3 that Im happy with.

I'm 4pts clear of Chelsea after 9 games and the only blemish is a 1-1 draw at home to Man Utd, bloody Manc'ers.

I've scored 24 with 6 against. Beat Juve 3-1 in Turin. Got Fulham away next in the C1C, then at home to Chelsea (Prem) and Juventus (ECL-group).