FM14: Arsenal Thread - "Remember who you are, what you are and who you represent!"

llama3

Well the season is underway, my first game:

Premier League

Arsenal 4 - Giroud (2), Koscielny & Walcott

Aston Villa 0

We took advantage of Villa's poor set piece defending, but controlled the game superbly. A minor injury for Giroud will rule him out of both legs of UCL qualifier against Pacos Ferreira, the league game against Fulham, and possibly the North London Derby. Koscielny misses the first leg of qualifier & Fulham game too.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the season is underway, my first game:

Premier League

Arsenal 4 - Giroud (2), Koscielny & Walcott

Aston Villa 0

We took advantage of Villa's poor set piece defending, but controlled the game superbly. A minor injury for Giroud will rule him out of both legs of UCL qualifier against Pacos Ferreira, the league game against Fulham, and possibly the North London Derby. Koscielny misses the first leg of qualifier & Fulham game too.

llama what formation and player roles and duty are you using.

you mean alvarez balanta right? I bought him too for 6.5 mill pound. he's my third choice CB now behind kosc and per. surprise he's been playing really well, better than vermaelen.

I really only used the beta version to get a feel for the game and to get a tactic sorted out so I can go straight in and start playing.

As for transfers I only brought in Balanta who will be my second signing behind Sami Khedira, who as Max787 said has trouble negotiating a new contract with Real Madrid and as I will be looking for a DM for my 4.1.2.2.1 he should be a good asset.

Has anyone activated Velas buy back clause, thinking about selling bendtner and bringing him back as third choice striker, his stats look decent

I bought him for 3.4m in January of the first season. I've been playing him as an inside forward attack on the right wing, he's been a bit rubbish to be honest.

He's well worth the money though, you're unlikely to find someone better (or as versatile) for that price, and you'll be able to sell him on for a profit at any point.

Has anyone tried searching for players, I tried typing a players name on the box and it would not allow me, so I had to go to the players club and get him that way.

It worked in beta OK though. Any thoughts peeps?.

The search function works fine for me, try clearing the cache, it might help.

anyone bought coentrao? what were his wages like? got him at 100k a week, 12k appearance, 15k clean sheet bonus. is that a bit excessive?

I bought him in January of the 1st season for 5m.

4 year contract until 2018, 71k per week, 35k appearance bonus, 21k goal bonus, 23k clean sheet bonus, 23k unused sub fee

Mine seems a bit more performance based.

February update 2014/2015

1st of February and currently in 3rd position, 3 points behind the leaders. Performance in the league has been ok, nothing special, but in line with the board's expectations at least.

Cups have been disappointing, again. Went out of the COC in the 4th round against Swansea, they scored the winner in extra time. I went out of the FA cup in the 3rd round against united, Vermaelen scored an own goal in the 90th minute. Qualified 1st in my CL group fairly easily, I've drawn PSG in the round of 16 though.

January was a fairly quiet month in terms of transfers, I signed Ter Stegen on a pre-contract for the summer as his deal was expiring. I was delighted to see that I was offered the option of buying him immediately for the measly sum of 1.9m so I accepted that straight away! I'm currently rotating him with chez every game, since they're pretty much as good as each other. I sold Fabianski for 500k, his contract was expiring in the summer so I was glad to get some money for him. I sold Vela to Bayern for 10m, he had been very disappointing.

Chamberlain has been on fire this season, he's developing really well. He won young player of the tournament in the world cup this summer, and he just won European golden boy. Cazorla got injured for 3 months, so Chambo has been my starting AML. Gnabry has been having a fantastic season too, as the main sub for the AML position, unfortunately he's just gotten injured for 4 months so he'll be out for the rest of the season. Zelalem has been making quite a few appearances this season, his development has been very encouraging, and he has an excellent chance of making it at the club.

AMR has been a massive problem this season, Podolski has been disappointing (the end of last season must have been a purple patch), and Vela has been sold. Needs to be addressed in the summer. Any quality left footed players people can recommend for the inside forward role on the right?

He's been good for me as an inside forward support on the left.

How important is it for the inside forward to be a "wrong sided" winger, i.e. right footers on the left, and left footers on the right? I'm struggling to find a good, affordable left footed wide player for my right wing.

Thinking of moving Chambo and Cazorla to the right wing, and buying a striker for the left wing, someone like Suarez (he's moved to city though, so that ship has sailed). If it makes a big difference I'll go back to having one inside forward and one winger, instead of two inside forwards.

Started as my beloved Gooners finally. Besides organizing my staff, I'm only going for Doria as my transfer target since he's 18. Going to try to rough it with the rest of the squad until January. Looking forward to using Ozil with this group :)

Guys, Just started playing as Arsenal.

I always try and sign Newcastles Davide Santon, he's quality for both LB an RB

Got him 9.75M in a upfront and monthly bundle, I feel he's better than anything in starting squad and can we really wait for Gibbs and Jenks to grow?

Max when you bought ter Stegen how long did he have left on his contract with Gladbach. When did you offer him a pre contract I'm just going into August 2013.

At the moment he has 23 months left on his contract and has refused a new contract on the grounds that he doesn't believe the squad is strong enough to play at the level that matches his ambitions.

Max when you bought ter Stegen how long did he have left on his contract with Gladbach. When did you offer him a pre contract I'm just going into August 2013.

At the moment he has 23 months left on his contract and has refused a new contract on the grounds that he doesn't believe the squad is strong enough to play at the level that matches his ambitions.

6 months, his contract was expiring, I signed him on a pre-contract in January of the second season (so, January 2015).

It seems that in FM14 you can buy players that you have signed on a pre-contract. As soon as the contract was agreed I had the option of buying him immediately for 1.9m, it's a very good new feature imo.

Anyone found that when you sign a midfielder , Ramsey moans , I gave him a dressing down in a private talk but it didn't go well, our relationship has now broken down and his morale is abysmal , I really don't want to sell him.

Will this change if I just play him or will his presence effect the team?

Depends how much you annoyed him. He is quite professional tbh, so you should be fine in the long run. Not playing him will **** him off more

well I said "I'm the manager , blah blah"

and that upset him I then said something similar in a assertive manner and that destroyed his morale, not sure why he moaned about first team opportunity's when it was a defensive midfielder who I signed.

cheers

also does anyone think ramsey and flamini need a boost? i know its all done based on last year so i think i may do it myself in editor

Are you serious? Ramsey is rated at 150 CA and 170 PA which i think is about right yes he has had a brilliant start to the season but lets just see if he can maintain it and flamini is a similar case despite his low ca and PA.

Ozil has 5 goals and 7 assists from 13(2) appearances so far with overall rating of 7.26 for me. I play him as AMC with Enganche role in 4-2-3-1 formation and I'm in late November 2013 now. not a bad return I guess.

struggling with ozil, anyone had him playing well? if so what role?

GM I had the same problem with Ramsey and I told him 'Show Me Why You Should Be First Choice' and he came back 'I Enjoy A Challenge' and then played out of his skin.

cheers might start again , only 2 friendly matches in , cant even offload Monreal , who I sold for 7.75m on the beta.

do you guys bother with a director of football?

Hi Mitch, no DoF for me. I did in FM13 and found he was more trouble than he was worth. I know you can set up the staff, but I kept getting messages saying 'Tom Thumb has agreed a contract with Arsenal' WTF. I decide which players I want.

I have just started my Arsenal save and will be playing 4-3-3 and managed to get Sami Khedira from Real Madrid for £11.5m to sit in the DM slot.

Anyone found that when you sign a midfielder , Ramsey moans , I gave him a dressing down in a private talk but it didn't go well, our relationship has now broken down and his morale is abysmal , I really don't want to sell him.

Will this change if I just play him or will his presence effect the team?

I signed Khedira and Ramsey didn't say anything.

I rejected a bid from city a while ago and he moaned about it, saying that we couldn't work together. I continued playing him and he's been absolutely fine though.

struggling with ozil, anyone had him playing well? if so what role?

I retrained him to striker and he's playing as a trequarista in my 4-5-1.

also does anyone think ramsey and flamini need a boost? i know its all done based on last year so i think i may do it myself in editor

Flamini is fine, but Ramsey could do with a boost.

Just off the top of my head, his strength attribute is a bit of a joke.

I read on another website about some really young defenders that could be world class players so I decided to take a punt.

Mattia De Sciglio (20) - D R/L, WB R/L - AC Milan - £2.5m

Jonathan Silva (19) - D/L, WB/L - Estudiantes LP - £2m

Éder Álvarez Balanta (20) - D/C, D/L - River Plate - £4m

Dominique Heintz (19) - D/C. D/L - Kaiserslautern - £4m

I am looking at probably Sagna and Arteta leaving at the end of the season so De Sciglio will partner Jenkinson and Sami Khedira will replace Arteta.

I am looking at promoting Gnabry from the U21s and Zelalem U18s to the 1st team for cup games and lower opposition in league games.

I'm thinking of ditching my current 4-5-1 tactic, even though it's working quite well, and going with something much simpler. Considering this:

Very fluid

Counter/Control/attacking (the three tactics I'll be training, not sure which one to have as my "normal" tactic though).

SK support

WB attack

CD defend

CD defend

WB attack

DM defend

CM support

CM support

IF attack

IF attack

TQ attack / F9 support

Undecided on the striker role, I haven't tried a false 9 yet so I don't know how it functions in the match engine. I think I'll use "counter" as my normal strategy, I've used it since FM12 in most of my main tactics. Thinking of the following for my shouts:

Play wider

More roaming

Swap wide players

Pass into space

Thoughts?

I read on another website about some really young defenders that could be world class players so I decided to take a punt.

Mattia De Sciglio (20) - D R/L, WB R/L - AC Milan - £2.5m

Jonathan Silva (19) - D/L, WB/L - Estudiantes LP - £2m

Éder Álvarez Balanta (20) - D/C, D/L - River Plate - £4m

Dominique Heintz (19) - D/C. D/L - Kaiserslautern - £4m

I am looking at probably Sagna and Arteta leaving at the end of the season so De Sciglio will partner Jenkinson and Sami Khedira will replace Arteta.

I am looking at promoting Gnabry from the U21s and Zelalem U18s to the 1st team for cup games and lower opposition in league games.

Balanta is meant to be class.

Think you should keep Arteta tbh, he's an excellent tutor and is definitely good enough to play for another 3 seasons at least. I'm in the second half of the 2nd season, Zelalem is slowly replacing Arteta, but he's very handy to have and still gets plenty of games. Sagna is still going strong in my game too, playing much better than Corchia for my team, and still regularly starting for France.

Gnabry is great by the way, mentals are lacking a bit, but everything else is very good. Get him tutored asap.

Yes, Arteta tutored Zelalem, he seemed like the perfect tutor (15 determination, model pro, several PPMs for a DLP). I'll tutor him with someone else as well though, I'd like to get his determination up a bit higher. The main advantage of using Arteta as a tutor is the PPMs, it will save a lot of time in the future.

Rosicky is quite decent too btw, he's still getting a few games for me (covering DLP and advanced playmaker). Good tutor too. I don't think he'll play from next season onwards though, but I'll keep him until his contract expires for tutoring.

Archived