Sports Interactive Community
llama3

FM14: Arsenal Thread - "Remember who you are, what you are and who you represent!"

The greater shock is selling Wilshere at all! Why aren't you playing FM14?

Just finished my first season with Arsenal.

Played most of the season with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

GK - Goalkeeper defend

RB - Limited full back - defend

CD - Central Defender - defend

CD - Central Defender - defend

LB - Complete wing back - attack

DM - Regista

DM - Ball winning midfielder - defend

AMR - Winger - attack

AMC - Support Striker - attack

AML - Advanced Playmaker - attack

S - Deep lying forward - attack

Really a season of two halves. First half I dominated the Premier, got to the league cup final but just got through in second in my CL group with PSG. Second half completely fell of the bench in the PL, got knocked off third round of FA cup by Birmingham, lost the league cup final in the last minute (oh so familiar) BUT dominated the CL, beat Real Madrid convincingly, then Chelsea (EPL champions by miles), then Athletico before meeting the mighty Dortmund in the final and smashing them 4-1 to finish the season with two trophies - 4th place and the CL!

Need to modify my formation for the second season, reason i finished fourth was due to dropping loads of points in amazing throw away games. Lost at home to Palace despite them being down to 10 men, me having 35 shots and them having one 30 yarder from Chamakh in the last minute(!!), was utterly dominated by Swansea twice but did well against big teams. Clearly my formation (and maybe my team talks) work really well against teams who try and play but fails against teams who park the bus and struggles to break them down. I think in a few games i pushed both DM up into CM but had no effect.

Only signings i made were Revelliere at the start, Sven Bender for £17m and Carlos Vela for £3.4m. Gibbs, Monrael and Bender were consistently my high performers, hope SI fix the WB bug as its a touch annoying. Players player of the year was Azpilicuelta, young player was Luna etc.

Funny thing is City and Spurs were absolute tosh. Both managers sacked by November. So Wegner took over at City and is stalking me with constant bids for Ramsey, Wilshere and the Ox. Not a chance!!

Just done an end of season clear out. Bye bye to Rosicky (free), Podolski (£7.5m but awful for me and wanted the £100k off my wage bill so bad), Park (£3.4m), Reveliere (his purpose was served), Fabianski, Martinez, Bendtner, Djorou and Coquelin and brought in some regens plus Volland (£33m), Diego (free) and Landreau (free). Hopefully Volland and Diego should give me more options for the games I failed in last year.

Has anyone had any success with Cazorla? He seems a bit meh to me now, never really gets above a 7 on ratings but scores the odd free kick.

Also has anyone found Szczency's value drops loads? Was only worth £1.5m at the end of the year, despite playing most of the season, gave him a new contract til 2019 as he's rated 4 1/2 stars and still only worth £1.8m. Weird as he rarely makes mistakes but keeps quite a few clean sheets.

Oh and England won the World Cup with Rooney banned for the final against France.

Very busy summer for me, i seem to have the perfect balance in all parts of the park except for my goalkeepers, where i have 3 great keepers. Victor Valdes, Szczesny and ter Stergen who i was able to nab cheaply.

Players sold:

Vela - 9.5m

Ramsey - 35m

Walcott - 18m

Flamini - 1.5m

Monreal - 9m

Podolski - 2.5

Giroud - 17.5

Players bought:

Xabi Alonso - 350k

De Sciglio - 13.5m

Lucas Russ* - 5m

Amin Rounes - 5m

Ter Stergen - 3m

Luis Suarez - 18.75m

Baines - 13.5m

Full squad

1. Victor Valdes 2. Micah Richards 3. De Sciglio 4. Dennis Praet 5. Sven Bender 6. Koscielny 7. Griezmann 9. Luis Suarez 10. Jack Wilshere 12. Ribery 13. Szczesny 15. Ox 16. baines 17. Ozil 18. Rosicky 19. Oliver 20. Xabi Alonso 22. Zouma 24. Ter Stergen 25. Jenkinson 26. Mertesacker 28. Gibbs 32. Younes 33. Vietto

I think Valdes, Szczesny and Ter Stegen is a little excessive... But a strong squad though. Shame about the departures of Ramsey and Walcott.

Ramsey left due to us missing out on the title on the last day, walcott because Ox has outperformed him and i found a promising youngster to rotate with

Loaned Szczesny out to Barcelona for a season, will probably sell Valdez or Ter next season for a profit

Am a massive fan of Szczesny. He is number 1 for me always.

Agreed, i spent 40 million on him in fm12 to get him back wheb i realised my mistake in selling him :D

Expensive mistake, but you realised it nonetheless! His distribution is his only real weakness, that and an eccentric moment now and again. Develops really quickly too.

Its 4th November 2013 and we have the first BIG casualty in the Premier League.

Brendan Rodgers has been sacked by Liverpool who have just lost 1-0 to Everton at Anfield. This keeps Liverpool in 17th, yes 17th place with 1 win 4 draws and 5 defeats in 10 games.

I wonder if they'll bring in Arsene Wenger.

The greater shock is selling Wilshere at all! Why aren't you playing FM14?
. he wanted a new challenge and refused to sign a new contract (which ran out at the end of the season) so i sold him and i have players ready to take over. i'm not particularly keen on 14

Why not keen on 14? Simply because you haven't been very good at it so far? Its the same game with improvements.

I got this young DC from Kaiserslautern in the German 2nd div, so far he has played 13 matches at D© Av Rat 7.80 and 1 at D(L) Av Rat 8.10.

I did read on another website that he was rated as a good cheap buy, so as this is the beta version I decided to give him a go and all I know he's going to be my first buy in the full game.

Dominique-Heintz-Beta_zps5193241e.jpg

Mini update:

In November, in 6th position, 5 points off the top.

Ozil has gone off the boil recently, and Arteta got injured for 3 months which kind of screwed my midfield.

The DM combo of DLP defend and DM support wasn't quite working the same way as it was in FM13, so I've changed that. I'm now employing a half back (Arteta+Flamini) and Regista combo (Wilshere+Ramsey), it's working much better now. I've also selected to concentrate play down the left flank, this really takes advantage of the interplay between Gibbs, Cazorla, and Ozil, and often releases Walcott on the opposite flank with a quick crossfield ball :)

In regards to striker, I'm not entirely sure if it's not really working because of the role (AF), or because it's Giroud. Giroud isn't bad, but he isn't the type of striker I want for my team, ideally I'd have a more dynamic forward up front, someone like Suarez. He'll cost a bomb though, so I'll probably have to look for someone cheaper, any suggestions?

Podolski is a bit crap, his off the ball attribute is a joke (again), he'll be sold in the summer. 100k per week is too much for him. Flamini will be sold too, he's also a bit crap, thinking of bringing in Behrami (he's a great tutor too).

Complete disaster after this update, everything went wrong in December and continued to go wrong after the that. I got sacked in March, with the club languishing in 12th or something embarrassing like that. I've reloaded a save from November, so from the above mini-update more or less.

I've ditched the 4-2-3-1, which is a shame. I've never once managed to get a 4-2-3-1 to work effectively, or an AMC to work effectively, for a sustained period of time in any version of the game.

I've gone back to my favourite counter attacking 4-5-1, which seems like a waste really. When I have a player like Ozil I should be putting him central and building a team around him, instead of shunting him out to the right wing. It's what's best for the team though, performances and results are very good at the moment.

Transfer targets in January will be Coentrao and Michu (or Suarez if I can afford him).

EDIT: To avoid "wasting" Ozil I'm considering retraining him to striker. That way he'd be a trequarista, central, and the main playmaker of the team. Thoughts?

Has anyone noticed that when you go into Training/Individual and click on 'Ask Assistant to Set Players Focus' the players disappear until you click elsewhere then go back to Training/Individual and they reappear.

Also why does Fabianski's always say none, even if I set it to say handling then click the Ask Assistant.........' button it goes back to none.

I'm not sure that 4-3-3 like that suits Arsenal. Cazorla and Ozil should be behind the striker IMO.

Have you considered a 4-2-3-1 Assymetric? Tuck the AML inside and have an AMC (Cazorla and Ozil).

I don't like Anchor men or Deep lying forwards on their own.

I'd set up like this:

DL: FB (A)

DC: CD (D)

DC: CD (D)

DR: FB (S or Auto)

MC: MC (D)

MD: DLP (S)

AML: IF (S)

AMC AP (A/S)

AMR: W (A)

ST: AF/CF/P (A)

You can then tweak player instructions

- consider keeping the AMR wide and the DL wide

- Consider making the DCL a cover defender

Hi mate,

I am not sure but do you mean a DM and then an MCl, AMCl and AMCr?

I do like the idea of that but not quite sure on it. I have used your ideas for the player roles in my system though... Second post to follow...

So, it is safe to say this game is still as infuriating as ever.

Started a game with Arsenal, intended to be a bit of a 'test' until the full version comes out...

So, with Ozil and Flamini in place I decided to keep my transfers dealings quite minimal and only moved for a striker to provide competition and cover for Giroud as well as a young CB to also provide cover and competition.

For CB I followed the advice of a few people on here and brought in Balanta for a possibly overpriced £11.25m. For striker I went for Jackson Martinez at Porto, mainly because I am fan IRL and I hoped his beastly physical stats would bring success to my side. Only thing is I paid around £27million and Barcelona subsequently got Lewandowski for £18mil. Safe to say I overpaid!

Anyway, 7 games into the season and we are second, one point behind United. There have been some awesome results and performances, like this one, in my first game of the season:

dlwo.png

And this recently at home to Jose's Chelsea - I was annoyed they managed three goals, given their number of CCC's:

id0y.png

However, away from home it is lacking something and I am quite happy to admit I am not good enough (and never have been) at this bloody game, to know what it is...

Cardiff away:

o143.png

City away (no disgrace in drawing 0-0 but look at the CCC's) We were utterly battered:

fls0.png

So, this is my current setup - if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!!

p515.png

So, after testing the new roles, I've started a new game.

The main issue I had with Ozil was that he was ridiculously close to Giroud. I've swapped their roles to Advanced Playmaker (Support) and Complete Forward (Attack) which is balancing nicely.

I've also changed my Wide Target Man and Regista to an Inside Forward and DLP. Which is something closer to what I used with Ajax on FM13.

Opened my League Campaign with a 2-0 win at Spurs, and a 4-0 demolition of Norwich. Europe's been tougher; we played Sociedad, and it took a 90th minute screamer from Gibbs to put us through 2-2 on away goals!

Who are you guys using at left back by the way? Both Gibbs and Monreal had excellent preseasons for me, and both have done excellently so far!

Why not keen on 14? Simply because you haven't been very good at it so far? Its the same game with improvements.

i just don't like the 'feel' of it

So, it is safe to say this game is still as infuriating as ever.

Started a game with Arsenal, intended to be a bit of a 'test' until the full version comes out...

So, with Ozil and Flamini in place I decided to keep my transfers dealings quite minimal and only moved for a striker to provide competition and cover for Giroud as well as a young CB to also provide cover and competition.

For CB I followed the advice of a few people on here and brought in Balanta for a possibly overpriced £11.25m. For striker I went for Jackson Martinez at Porto, mainly because I am fan IRL and I hoped his beastly physical stats would bring success to my side. Only thing is I paid around £27million and Barcelona subsequently got Lewandowski for £18mil. Safe to say I overpaid!

Anyway, 7 games into the season and we are second, one point behind United. There have been some awesome results and performances, like this one, in my first game of the season:

dlwo.png

And this recently at home to Jose's Chelsea - I was annoyed they managed three goals, given their number of CCC's:

id0y.png

However, away from home it is lacking something and I am quite happy to admit I am not good enough (and never have been) at this bloody game, to know what it is...

Cardiff away:

o143.png

City away (no disgrace in drawing 0-0 but look at the CCC's) We were utterly battered:

fls0.png

So, this is my current setup - if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!!

p515.png

Not a fan of target men myself, especially as lone forwards. You are getting good player ratings though, keep your set up! Also, not sure if higher tempo works well with control mentality

The finishing is woeful. I'm struggling to get into it myself.

Giroud was better for me in my Arsenal seasons on FM13, he had a real slow start on my current season (Beta).

I feel that some of the class players (Wilshere, Ramsey etc) should start off on at LEAST 3 stars in the first season of 14 but they are only 2 stars, they are better than that. But developed them heaps now and pretty fast too. They are nearly up to full potential nearly finishing first season.

It's definitely quite comical at times.

Definitely have to agree AJW, if I had a pound for every header that has hit the bar I would be a millionaire. Shots from 2-3 yds out that get saved is unbelievable.

I've had players hit shots from the corner of the box and gone out for throw-ins by the corner flag. I had Walcott cut inside and dribbled to the near post and literally standing on the goal line has had his shot saved.

I posted this on another thread........

Thanks for the info Babak, because last night while playing I noticed that my screen flickered and although I've been playing the offside trap no flags were showing by the back 4, then after the flickering the offside flags appeared and my team started playing crap.

Play out of defence suddenly became hoof it upfield as hard as you can, started standing off of opponents, when tackling the ball would run loose and my players just stood and watched as the opposition ran after the ball and carried on.

Before this 2nd update I had push up and my back four would be just on or over the halfway line, now I am struggling to get them anywhere the centre circle. When attacking I would have as many as 6-7 players around the opponents box now I'm lucky to get 3 or 4.

So will carry on today and see what happens. Not holding out much hope.

At the moment I am top of the EPL by 7 points.

Arsenal P13 W13 D0 L0 Pts 39

Man Utd P13 W10 D2 L1 Pts 32

Man City P13 W8 D2 L3 Pts 26

Tottenham P13 W7 D2 L4 Pts 23

Since the new update last night has any one noticed any differences in their players or teams behaviour and playing style?

i just checked and Carlos Vela has got a release clause of 90mill pound. would love to buy him if he's on 3.5mill pound release clause though

i just checked and he's got a release clause of 90mill pound. would love to buy him if he's on 3.5mill pound release clause though

who has?

Update:

Now I'm into March, currently top of the league by a point. In the 6th round of the FA cup, and in the round of 16 in the CL. Things are going very well. I sold Walcott in January, city came with a ridiculous 32m pound bid so I accepted. I signed Coentrao (5m) and Vela (3.4m), Monreal went out on loan after refusing a 17.5m pound move to Southampton, and Sanogo went on loan since I converted Ozil to striker.

Ozil has been a bit of a revelation since I converted him to striker, he's really the main man at the moment. Tactic is working great, and everyone is playing well. Rosicky is surprisingly great by the way, really useful player who covers 3 different roles in my team. Gnabry has made about 20 appearances so far, Bellerin has made a few, and Zelalem just made his first appearance. Hopefully they'll get even more exposure as the season draws to a close.

Tactic and team is as follows:

4-5-1

Counter

Balanced

Retain possession, shorter passing, work ball into box, hit early crosses, run at defence, roam from positions, be more expressive, push higher up, stay on feet.

GK - sweeper keeper support: Chez / Fabianski

RB - WB attack: Sagna / Jenks

CB - CD defend: Mertesacker / Verms

CB - CD defend: Koscielny / Verms

LB - WB attack: Coentrao / Gibbs

DM - Half back defend: Arteta / Flamini

CMR: AP attack: Wilshere / Rosicky

CML: DLP support: Ramsey / Rosicky

AMR: IF attack: Vela / Podolski

AML: IF support: Cazorla / Chamberlain

ST: Trequarista: Ozil / Giroud

Joel Campbell just scored a late winner to knock me out of the CL. Losing at home to Olympiakos is embarrassing enough, but Campbell scoring the winner is infuriating.

Joel Campbell just scored a late winner to knock me out of the CL. Losing at home to Olympiakos is embarrassing enough, but Campbell scoring the winner is infuriating.

Hahahahahaha! I remember Bendtner scoring for Juventus against me at the Emirates on FM13, I went through thanks to a brilliant shut-out in Turin.

Solid, but unspectacular. Good final ball though.

Scored a hat trick against Real Madrid for me in CL. But that was on the initial version of FB are broken beyond belief. I was playing with Jenkinson RB and Sagna RCB due to injuries and that worked very well.

2013/2014 review

Decent season, but I was very disappointed with my performance in the cups, the opponents who knocked me out should have been very beatable.

League: 2nd (6 points behind Chelsea)

CL: Round of 16, knocked out by Olympiakos (Joel Campbell winner... )

FA cup: Semi final, lost to Everton.

COC: 3rd round, knocked out by Newcastle.

Ozil was the standout performer, 13 goals and 23 assists in his début season. Mertesacker was voted player of the season, absolute rock in central defence. Podolski surprised me greatly in the second half of the season, I had written him off and earmarked him for a summer transfer but he was genuinely fantastic, scoring numerous winning goals, he probably won us about 12 points on his own. Very encouraging development from Wilshere, Ramsey, Chambo, Gnabry, and sneezy too. This season I plan on giving lots of exposure to youth, especially the new regens.

England have just won the world cup, and Chamberlain was voted young player of the tournament!

Summer transfers

In

Corchia 4.6m, absolute bargain, very surprised to pick him up for that price.

Khedira 11m, another absolute bargain, delighted with this signing. Great tutor too.

7 exciting regens for a combined total of about 12m.

Olic, Drogba, and two others on free transfers for tutoring.

Out

Coquelin 2.2m

Monreal 10m

Djourou 4m

Campbell 2.5m

Flamini 1.5m

Park loan

Jenkinson loan

Sanogo loan

I'm also hoping to offload Giroud and Diaby. Probable team for the season:

GK - sweeper keeper support: Chez / Fabianski

RB - WB attack: Sagna / Corchia / Bellerin

CB - CD defend: Mertesacker / Regen

CB - CD defend: Koscielny / Verms

LB - WB attack: Coentrao / Gibbs / Regen

DM - Half back defend: Khedira / Arteta / Regen

CMR: AP attack: Wilshere / Chamberlain / Crowley

CML: DLP support: Ramsey / Rosicky / Zelalem

AMR: IF attack: Podolski / Vela / Regen

AML: IF support: Cazorla / Gnabry / Regen

ST: Trequarista: Ozil / Drogba / Olic

Max are you playing FM14 beta, if so who did you buy Khedira from?

Surely Real Madrid?

Max are you playing FM14 beta, if so who did you buy Khedira from?

Yes, playing the beta. I bought him from Madrid. He was having a contract dispute, he rejected multiple offers from Madrid from January onwards, I swooped during the summer. That's probably why his price was so low.

Yes, playing the beta. I bought him from Madrid. He was having a contract dispute, he rejected multiple offers from Madrid from January onwards, I swooped during the summer. That's probably why his price was so low.

OK cheers Max, he's gone to Man City on mine......git...:lol:

same here, went to Man City

As I am going to be playing 433, with 1 x DM I think I will have to make Khedira my first purchase before I do anything else.

Have you guys started new saves? Or continuing beta saves?

Have you guys started new saves? Or continuing beta saves?

Think I'll continue my beta save, I'm quite happy with my signings and the development of my younger players.

I really only used the beta version to get a feel for the game and to get a tactic sorted out so I can go straight in and start playing.

As for transfers I only brought in Balanta who will be my second signing behind Sami Khedira, who as Max787 said has trouble negotiating a new contract with Real Madrid and as I will be looking for a DM for my 4.1.2.2.1 he should be a good asset.

Doing a network game with a mate so i'll use that as my restart, will continue my current save as its quite a challenge

Let me know if someone got a brutal 4-2-3-1 tactic. Looking for lots of goals and chances. cheers