Sports Interactive Community
llama3

FM14: Arsenal Thread - "Remember who you are, what you are and who you represent!"

Well his rating is affected by his passing, assists, goals etc - and they are affected by teammates too. So kind of depends what you are doing with him, and the rest of the team.

Whats the way to get the best out of Ozil? He just cruises along in my save so far - average of about 7.1/7.2 each game.

So what formation are you using and also what team and player settings?.

I have the following settings so far:

GK - Defend

LB - Complete full-back attack (Gibbs)

CB - Central Defender - Defend (Vermaelen/Mert)

CB - Central Defender - Defend (Kos/Balanta)

RB - Full-back - Support (Sagna)

DM - Deep-Lying - Support (Pirlo/Arteta)

DM - Ball winning - Defend (Di Rossi/Flamini)

AM - Trequartista/Enganche/Advance Player maker (Ozil) - I've tried a few player settings

LW - Winger/Advance Player maker - Support (Cazorla/Podolski)

RW - Winger - Attack (Walcott)

ST - Advance Striker/Target Man (Giroud)

Team settings are - Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Play out of defence, Hassle opponents

Midfielders have passing set to short, including Ozil.

How many games do you give a player at a certain role, because it can take a few games for a player to get used to his new role.

I find as others have found that Giroud plays better as a Deep Lying Forward - attack.

I only tinker with roles every 5/6 games. I'll try Giroud in that position and see if it helps my midfielders get into the game

Looking forward to starting my proper career save next week!

What leagues are you guys running in game?

RG - Flamini is NOT a Regista - not by any stretch of the imagination. Ozil looks very out of position there.

I normally play Arteta in place of Flamini and usually as a DM/s. Once the full game is out I will be looking for a proper DM like Lars/Sven Bender.

Özil does really well there as he links up with Cazorla and Walcot and plays mainly around the centre of midfield bringing others into play and making openings with through balls as well.

This is still a work in progress.

Has anyone else noticed a change in the behaviour of their IF's since the new update.

Before the update both my IF's would run from the halfway line to the corner flag and never cut inside, now especially Walcott comes in and attacks the box with venom as well as getting to the line and putting in crosses.

decided to show progress the only five players let at the club from one of my fm 13 games-using the default DB(I'll post it there to ) the first attributes are from the start of the game. i'll put this in the fm13 thread too

arsenal5_zps2212cfda.jpg

Arsenal1_zpsb031dc0c.jpg

Arsenal3_zpsf9583477.jpg

arsenal4_zpsaf563610.jpg

arsenal2_zps259aa6c9.jpg

No Ian Wright in club legends or Icons? Im not an AFC supporter but was shocked to see that.

Great thread either way chap :)

No Ian Wright in club legends or Icons? Im not an AFC supporter but was shocked to see that.

Great thread either way chap :)

No worries man.

ATB were these results got through playing matches or were they got through going on loan and tutoring?
loans tutors and individual focus

Absolutely pointless playing this game atm, because Stoke are just unstoppable. 8 points behind them after 22 games. Just sucks any enjoyment out of it

Quick question for you lot, playing as Newcastle and managed to sign Gibbs for 6mil in the second season. How good is he? Have I wasted my money or am I set for LB for the foreseeable?

More than good enough for Newcastle. Nacho is rated higher than him in the game (which is wrong) but he's been good for me so far.

Hard to judge how good though due to the player ratings bug.

More than good enough for Newcastle. Nacho is rated higher than him in the game (which is wrong) but he's been good for me so far.

Hard to judge how good though due to the player ratings bug.

We finished 3rd (above Arsenal ;)) so it`s more a case of is he good enough for Champions League. He looks like what I`m after, an attacking wingback with solid defensive stats.

2nd season transfers -

In -

Oliver - 15.75m

Gabriel Barbosa - 2.8m

Juan Manuel krikorian* - 4.1m

Bobby Walton* - 4.9m

Sven Bender - 20.5m

Kurt Zouma - 12.5m

Sven Nieuwpoort - free

Luciano vietto - 14.75m

Dennis Praet - 11.1m

Luke Shaw - 14m

Carlos Vela - 3.4m

Victor Valdes - free

out -

Sagna - 12.5m

Park Chu Young - 2.5m

Diaby - 500k

Thomas Vermaelen - 15m

Djourou - 1m

Arteta - 1.2m

Cazorla - 18m

and a shed load of youngsters on loan

missed out on Bale and he has signed for Man Utd >.<

what's wrong with Arsenal football manager 14? First season 9th Place and middle in second season 18th! What the H**l? Suuper players in the Squad! anyone else seen this?

It's happening on my Sevilla save, too. Wenger was one more loss away from getting sacked in November, with the team mid-table and losing to the likes of Palace and Sunderland at home.

Liverpool are 18th and Rodgers was sacked about a month ago.

It's all a bit strange.

Wenger has never been sacked on my 3 games, but he left the club after the season because they didn't give him a new contract. And Arsenal never finished over 9th Place. Moyes has been sacked on al 3 games in November :p But Arsenal is the thing i don't understand..

Wenger has never been sacked on my 3 games, but he left the club after the season because they didn't give him a new contract. And Arsenal never finished over 9th Place. Moyes has been sacked on al 3 games in November :p But Arsenal is the thing i don't understand..

I've always thought arsenal have been underrated on fm when managed by an ai manager

Just started up an Arsenal game, to test out the Beta.

Trying this formation out;

GK: Szczęsny (Sweeper Keeper - Support)

DR: Sagna (Complete Wingback - Attack)

DL: Monreal (Complete Wingback - Attack)

DC: Mertesacker (Limited Defender - Defend)

DC: Koscielny (Centre Defender - Defend)

DMC®: Arteta (Regista)

MC(l): Wilshere (Box to Box - Support)

AMR: Cazorla (Advanced Playmaker - Support)

AML: Podolski (Wide Target Man - Support)

AMC: Ozil (Engache)

ST: Giroud (Complete Striker - Support)

Please could someone post screenshots of Jack Wilshere & Aaron Ramsey? I have not got the demo yet.

Much appreciated.

Just started up an Arsenal game, to test out the Beta.

Trying this formation out;

GK: Szczęsny (Sweeper Keeper - Support)

DR: Sagna (Complete Wingback - Attack)

DL: Monreal (Complete Wingback - Attack)

DC: Mertesacker (Limited Defender - Defend)

DC: Koscielny (Centre Defender - Defend)

DMC®: Arteta (Regista)

MC(l): Wilshere (Box to Box - Support)

AMR: Cazorla (Advanced Playmaker - Support)

AML: Podolski (Wide Target Man - Support)

AMC: Ozil (Engache)

ST: Giroud (Complete Striker - Support)

No forward runs from any of your 4 most attacking players!? Madness, come visit the tactics forum, it won't work.

Downloading the beta now (steam is being infuriatingly slow btw).

Planning on not allowing first window transfer budgets, so I'll be starting off with our current squad. I'll have to look at the new roles, but based on the FM13 roles this is how I'll be setting up. There will probably be a few changes after pre-season though, due to the new roles and changes to the match engine.

Balanced

Attacking

More direct

More pressing

More roaming

Zonal marking

Default for the rest

GK: Sweeper keeper support: Chez

RB: Full back support: Sagna / Jenks

RCB: Central defender stopper: Koscielny / Vermaelen

LCB: Central defender cover: Mertesacker / Vermalen

LB: Wing back attack: Gibbs / Monreal

RCDM: Defensive midfielder support: Ramsey / Wilshere

LCDM: DLP support: Arteta / Flamini (with a different role probably)

AMR: Winger attack: Walcott / Podolski (as IF)

AMC: Trequarista: Ozil / Rosicky

AML: Advanced playmaker support: Cazorla / Chamberlain

ST: Advanced forward attack: Giroud / Bendtner

(And Gnabry should get a decent amount of games covering the AM strata).

The plan is to buy a top class striker at the end of the season, then I'll just try and bring youth through.

So, against my better judgement I have started a save game with Arsenal.

I say better judgement because I gave up with FM13 because I just could NOT get with the game. It seemed to me to have too many random instances and performances and, well, I just gave up and hoped for better from FM14.

So, after catching up with this forum and the excellent Ozil thread here (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/364391-%C3%96zil-10-a-tactical-exercise-on-FM14-with-Arsenal ) I decided to give it a go.

I settled on a 41221 formation as I hoped that would give me a solid foundation, with a platform for my attacking players and a system which could hopefully work both home and away...

I followed Cleon's pre-season and smashed 11 teams you have never heard of and started my season with a home match against Spurs. We smashed them 4-0 and all looked great.

Unfortunately, since then we have really stumbled and stuttered which culminated with a 2-0 loss at Cardiff in which we created nothing and were fortunate to not lose by more.

I am happy to keep plugging away, at least until the full version comes out and hope I can sort a few things out but I wonder if anyone could provide any pointers or tips in the meantime?

My current set up is below, it is fairly standard other than I ask my AML to tuck in and dribble more and my AMR is push further forward and stay wide.

Really, I have never been a great FM'er so welcome any tips anyone might have.

Cheers

hrgl.png

Why are some of the attributes of my own players ​blocked out? Really annoying "feature."

I'm not sure that 4-3-3 like that suits Arsenal. Cazorla and Ozil should be behind the striker IMO.

Have you considered a 4-2-3-1 Assymetric? Tuck the AML inside and have an AMC (Cazorla and Ozil).

I don't like Anchor men or Deep lying forwards on their own.

I'd set up like this:

DL: FB (A)

DC: CD (D)

DC: CD (D)

DR: FB (S or Auto)

MC: MC (D)

MD: DLP (S)

AML: IF (S)

AMC AP (A/S)

AMR: W (A)

ST: AF/CF/P (A)

You can then tweak player instructions

- consider keeping the AMR wide and the DL wide

- Consider making the DCL a cover defender

Why are some of the attributes of my own players ​blocked out? Really annoying "feature."

Never mind, only happens when I tick "show recent attribute changes," it must be a space issue.

Ozil is ridiculously good!

Mini update:

In November, in 6th position, 5 points off the top.

Ozil has gone off the boil recently, and Arteta got injured for 3 months which kind of screwed my midfield.

The DM combo of DLP defend and DM support wasn't quite working the same way as it was in FM13, so I've changed that. I'm now employing a half back (Arteta+Flamini) and Regista combo (Wilshere+Ramsey), it's working much better now. I've also selected to concentrate play down the left flank, this really takes advantage of the interplay between Gibbs, Cazorla, and Ozil, and often releases Walcott on the opposite flank with a quick crossfield ball :)

In regards to striker, I'm not entirely sure if it's not really working because of the role (AF), or because it's Giroud. Giroud isn't bad, but he isn't the type of striker I want for my team, ideally I'd have a more dynamic forward up front, someone like Suarez. He'll cost a bomb though, so I'll probably have to look for someone cheaper, any suggestions?

Podolski is a bit crap, his off the ball attribute is a joke (again), he'll be sold in the summer. 100k per week is too much for him. Flamini will be sold too, he's also a bit crap, thinking of bringing in Behrami (he's a great tutor too).

Podolski is a bit crap, his off the ball attribute is a joke (again)

Why not bring it up in the Arsenal Data Issuses thread then?

His off the ball attribute is also quite accurate.

It really isn't, 10 off the ball is absolutely ridiculous, as ridiculous as Walcott's 9 decisions rating. Looking at the first team squad in FM, do you honestly feel that he has the joint 3rd worst off the ball movement? Only better than Mertesacker and Szczęsny?

You don't get over 100 caps for Germany in an attacking position without knowing how to exploit space, you don't score 16 goals from out wide (predominantly) in 2012/2013 without knowing how to exploit space.

I see fixture congestions is alive and well in FM14, surprise, surprise.

28/9/13 - Man City (a) EPL..w1-0

1/10/13 - AC Milan (h) ECL

3/10/13 - Brighton (a) C1C

5/10/13 - C.Palace (a) EPL

It really isn't, 10 off the ball is absolutely ridiculous, as ridiculous as Walcott's 9 decisions rating. Looking at the first team squad in FM, do you honestly feel that he has the joint 3rd worst off the ball movement? Only better than Mertesacker and Szczęsny?

You don't get over 100 caps for Germany in an attacking position without knowing how to exploit space, you don't score 16 goals from out wide (predominantly) in 2012/2013 without knowing how to exploit space.

Here, I'll link for you seen as you didn't get the message first time; Arsenal Data Issuses Thread.

Moderators have said in the past that the threads in the Good Player And Team Guide isn't the place for the airing of these grievances. :thup:

No forward runs from any of your 4 most attacking players!? Madness, come visit the tactics forum, it won't work.

It's just an excuse for me to mess about some of the new roles for now (I'm using two roaming midfielders for pete's sake :D). I'll be starting a "Proper" Game later this week.

Ozil's been very quiet during pre-season. Alternating using Treq and Engache, neither are really working...

My first transfer deadline day signing is Frank Ribery in January in 2015 :cool:

It's just an excuse for me to mess about some of the new roles for now (I'm using two roaming midfielders for pete's sake :D). I'll be starting a "Proper" Game later this week.

Ozil's been very quiet during pre-season. Alternating using Treq and Engache, neither are really working...

they won't work if they have nothing to aim for...

Started a new save recently. Just entered December and sitting top of the league so far. 1 loss and 2 draws from 14 games in the Premier League. Also won 5 out of 5 in the Champions League. Atletico Madrid is the other tough team in my group.

Here are my signings so far:

Eder Alvarez Balanta - 9.5m

Nigel De Jong - 9m

Alvaro Morata - 9m

Gabriel Barbosa - 2m

Sent out a bunch of kids on loan.

Couldn't sell anyone as I wasn't getting any decent bids. Fabianski, Bendtner and Park were all on the transfer list to start with but didn't move on.

The game's going well but the number of missed one-on-one's is infuriating. For every 10 shots of mine, the opposition take 1 and seem to score. Not to mention, some of the shooting is absolutely atrocious!

Having said that, my strikers have been very good. Giroud has 15 in 15 games, Morata has 5 in 8 games and Bendtner has 6 in 7 games (!!!). The goal-scoring run has seen Bendtner get a new contract but that's mostly to sell him at a decent price soon. Giroud has been sensational with 8 assists to go with the goals.

Anybody looking for a solid DM, I strongly recommend De Jong. He's an absolute monster and is very reasonably priced. He's on an average rating on 8.18 from 14 games. And that's without scoring any goals and only getting 2 assists. Very good, old-school DM who's only there to protect the defenders.

In Jan or next season, I want to bring in another, more reliable Goalie. Victor Valdes is high on the list ofcourse seeing as he's free at the end of the season. Need a good left back and right back both by the end of the season.

The rest of the team looks in good shape for now. I will probably move on the older players like Rosicky, Arteta and maybe Flamini at the end of the season if there's any interest in them..

Last game is going to be tense! Away to Cardiff, City are away to Stoke and Chelsea are away to Swansea!

66CE74A2B685C5056BBCB1C474B005B890394AA7

Me and Chelsea both drew, Chelsea throwing away a 3-1 lead, and me being unable to get a single goal thanks to Gibbs getting a straight red, where as man city won 3-1, resulting in Ramsey leaving as i did not win the league.

35m to PSG

Just a recommendation for you guys playing as Arsenal, use Gibbs as a Complete Wing Back on Attack duty. In 10 games for me he has an average rating of 8.04, averages 9 tackles a game and has a successful pass rate of around 80%. He has been fantastic. Surprised Wenger sold him to me on my game, especially for so little (only 6.25mil).

Marked Bale out of the game we played V Madrid as well which was very nice to see.

Mini update:

In November, in 6th position, 5 points off the top.

Ozil has gone off the boil recently, and Arteta got injured for 3 months which kind of screwed my midfield.

The DM combo of DLP defend and DM support wasn't quite working the same way as it was in FM13, so I've changed that. I'm now employing a half back (Arteta+Flamini) and Regista combo (Wilshere+Ramsey), it's working much better now. I've also selected to concentrate play down the left flank, this really takes advantage of the interplay between Gibbs, Cazorla, and Ozil, and often releases Walcott on the opposite flank with a quick crossfield ball :)

In regards to striker, I'm not entirely sure if it's not really working because of the role (AF), or because it's Giroud. Giroud isn't bad, but he isn't the type of striker I want for my team, ideally I'd have a more dynamic forward up front, someone like Suarez. He'll cost a bomb though, so I'll probably have to look for someone cheaper, any suggestions?

Podolski is a bit crap, his off the ball attribute is a joke (again), he'll be sold in the summer. 100k per week is too much for him. Flamini will be sold too, he's also a bit crap, thinking of bringing in Behrami (he's a great tutor too).

I'd be tempted to try and use Giroud as a complete forward - he is decent in the air and on the floor, can create and score