your progress on the beta?

so whats everyones progress in these past few days since the beta came out? who are you? are you liking it?are you planning on sticking with that team and that save for the future or are you just tsting things out? personally im gunna be sticking to this save I started during the beta, trying to restore LYON to there former domestic glory, while also trying to deliver there first European trophy in there history its a lot harder than what I thought! I would of thought a club of there stature would of had more money to spend I haven't evn got a transfer budget atm!!!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm playing with Newcastle Jets in the A-League. I will play this save for just a season or 2 probably before I do my main save. So far I'm 6 games in. 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss. I beat both the teams that won the league the last 2 years 3-0. My loss was really weird I was 3-1 up and cruising before my defence fell asleep and shipped 5 goals. I scored in the second half to lose 6-4. Besides that I've only conceded one goal. I like the new game.

I went with coventry because they are in administration at the beginning and I fancied the extra challenge that a 10 point deduction would bring.

I got super-lucky and a rich sort bought the club. In January he gave me 16m GBP transfer budget (I don't allow first window transfers). 16m. In league 1. He also upgraded facilities (at a cost of 19m).

So now I have a club with tons of cash. But I can't really use it thanks to Financial Fair Play... I can only spend around 40K a week on wages. I sold an important player in January, and made the buying club spread the transfer over 20 months hoping it would count towards turnover. It didn't matter. They don't include it. I would have been better taking cash up front and using the interest on it.

8 games remain and we are 2 points outside of the playoff zone. Most of my players have arranged free transfers because I can't afford to commit to a pay rise. I'm hoping we get promoted and I can keep the few that haven't signed elsewhere.

For what was supposed to be a "test" save, I'm loving it!

Arsenal, currently top in january, knocked out of capital one cup by liverpool in quarter finals, playing a blackpool side who eliminated spurs in the fa cup, and i 'll edit who i have in the champions league knock out round when i get home or remember :D Real Sociedad, not too shabby

Playing as Sheff Utd and struggling for any consistency. I find the match engine issues with defenders not tackling (just shuffling along next to attackers) and the poor goalkeeping, especially the inability to deal with any cross that comes in, to be extremely frustrating. I've never been good with the tactical side of the game either, often relying on far better people than myself on here to provide tactics... I'm one defeat away from getting sacked as I'm currently 13 games in and sat in 12th place in League 1.

My first save was a disaster, playing lower league and I was not used to the new finance system or indeed the new tactics, gave up after only 3 games.

Started again with Altrincham and after 13 games I am top of the league and 6 points clear with a game in hand, so far unbeaten but a few loans due to expire so I will have to sort that out.

2nd season with Aston Villa. First season finished 13th which I was reasonably happy with, but I'm getting my arse kicked this time. Languishing in relegation, constantly losing or getting the odd 1-1 draw if I'm lucky. Nothing I do seems to work any more.

So far so good:

47ng.jpg

Had a bit of a dodgy run but turned it around a bit. One thing is, im like 20 odd games in and still im not at full familiarity even though ive had match prep on full focus. Do the levels reset in pre season? Going to be a tad annoying if it they do...

xhcb.jpg

Just finished the first season as allmighty Stoke. We won the League Cup and ended 2nd in league.

I sold deadwood players in first transfer window for 18m € cash that I spent on upgrading youth and training facilities.

Players signed 2013: Honda for 2,2m and Jermaine Jones for 2m.

Loans 2013: Simone Pepe, Nicolas Gaitan

Most apps: Begovic 38, 21 clean sheets

Highest rating: Shawcross 7.89

Lowest rating: Begovic (somehow?)

Most goals: Crouch, 21

Most assists: Crouch, 14

Highest player value: N´Zonzi 12.7m €

Overachiever: Marc Wilson doubled his value to 12m€ with avg. rating of 7.56. He can play as DL, DMC, DR. Very mediocre stats.

Flop: Arnautovic. 7.07 rating, only 3 goals 3 assists in 21(13) apps

3sK1hav.png

Playing as Burnley, working on avoiding being fired before Christmas. I'll probably stay with this save until the full release and see how things are going. If I am still employed and making progress, I'll stick with this save - but if I've been fired, I'll probably start a new save and try to avoid the mistakes I've made so far!

Playing as Achilles 29 in the dutch 1st div. 1st season did alright, second season still semi pro, still horrible players. I'm 17/20 with the added ******** that the 18th to 20th team can't relegate because they are Ajax B, U23 PSV and U23 FC Twente, which really makes me question the sanity of the person who decided to make a league where 3/20 teams cannot relegate.

This ofcourse means I am in danger of relegating and thus losing the job, right before we finally go full pro. We are doing horrible and are one point behind an even worse team that somehow doesn't do as bad as you would expect with their quality of players. I don't know if its me, or my players but I can't get my tactic to consistently work.

Playing as Eastleigh in the conference south. The pitch is essentially a mud pit. If it rains, I'm sure soil will wash away to exposed the bodies of World war I soldiers. Aside from that, the defenders do a good job of watching attackers dribble past them. It would be easier to play four orange cones. Aside from that, I'm not sold. Was expected to be a title challenger, but twenty games in am W7 D4 L9 GF28 GA31. Every tweak exposes a new flaw, none of which fix the defensive issues. The match fitness is an issue too. I'm struggling to put out a team that is above 90% in even half the positions. Morale is low, and mediocrity seems to lies down every path I could take.

Managing Celtic and did the double in my first seasom (league and scottish cup) and got into the CL group stade, knocked out bottom of the group though so the aim in my second seasonis to retain the league title and try for last 16 of CL or at least still be in Europe after the group stages.

Took over Barca to have a "smooth" start. We are dominating as expected, have high posession and concede only few. But so far I'm not able to make Messi (as a false nine) more of a focal point of my offense. He doesn't see a lot of the ball and passes left or right way to much whenever he finally has a chance to take a run one-on-one through the middle.

playing as Gills obv. it's probably the most difficult L1 team to play because almost all their players aren't good enough for league 1. I'm still in preseason arranging many trials and scouting. we need to replace the defence and get a creative outlet. I've taken Jari Litmanen on trial. So far I have seen him play as enganche twice and he is struggling to create any chances or find space, probably because my other players are terrible off the ball.

Looking at getting ashley harris off of Portsmouth.

Found that the enganche role seems to send the player back to defend too much, but in a 442 diamond i suppose he has to. I'd rather he was always available in space, even if it means sacrificing defensively.

I'm playing as RFC Liege in the Belgian 3rd Division (holidayed 1st season, they are unplayable at the start of the game). Currently sitting joint top of the league after 20 games, but 4 points clear in the Period 2 table (winning which would get me a playoff spot).

Having a lot of fun so far.

Playing as Preston. Talked to board into adding Play More Direct into the philosophy. P2 W2 in the League but knocked out of Capital Cup by Forest - not too bothered, made 4 changes to starting lineup and we didn't play badly, just didn't take our chances. Just absolutely smashed Notts County though in the league, 5 CCCs! They didn't even manage a half chance. Just playing a standard 442, as below, I've taken off Higher Tempo and added Be More Creative as we are best decision makers in the league:

ScreenShot2013-10-18at222738.png

ScreenShot2013-10-19at004511.png

Playing as Spurs, clinched 3rd place on last day by beating Arsenal 1-0 at the Emirates (which was rather nice!) lost in Europa semis to Swansea and lost in FA Cup final to Newcastle.

Tactics - took team a while to get used to them (possibly thanks to a bit of tinkering - reacting to performances) but they seem to be doing OK now, main problem is late season injuries and tiredness which I suppose is realistic.

One thing I do like is the in-game player ratings widget now moves subs into the position of the player they replaced so you don't need to scroll - a simple but very pleasing change.

my pre-season was great win after win with two draws, was thinking to myself hmmm bit simple this game, season starts im playing as Liverpool and Fulham beat be 7-2 second game at home to Man Utd and lose 4-1 :o

gotta rethink my tactics again :p

But loving the game overall best series yet in my opinion.

Playing as Eastleigh in the conference south. The pitch is essentially a mud pit. If it rains, I'm sure soil will wash away to exposed the bodies of World war I soldiers. Aside from that, the defenders do a good job of watching attackers dribble past them. It would be easier to play four orange cones. Aside from that, I'm not sold. Was expected to be a title challenger, but twenty games in am W7 D4 L9 GF28 GA31. Every tweak exposes a new flaw, none of which fix the defensive issues. The match fitness is an issue too. I'm struggling to put out a team that is above 90% in even half the positions. Morale is low, and mediocrity seems to lies down every path I could take.

Hmm, I'm 6-3-0 with Eastleigh. In second on goal differential.

I'll grant you that the pitch is pretty horrendous though. Tommy Widdrington made me feel bad about it before our game. :(

Im playing as Sunderland and as the starting team is full of sub-standard, overpaid wasters i decided to go for a radical overhaul. I wanted to bring the wage budget down and reduce the average age of the squad as well as increasing the quality, which was difficult considering the lack of finances. Managed to get through the first season with some key signings (Honda, Souttar, Khune and Munoz in particular) and finished a respectable 10th.

In the summer we werent given massive funds (6m transfer budget and a reduction in wages) so a lot of wheeling and dealing had to be done. Sold some important players (Including Munoz for 18m), the team now looks like this:

GK:Khune

RB:Corchia

LB:Popov

CB:Hiram Mier

CB:Astori

CM:Nainngolan

CM:Honda

RW:Johnson

LW:Yarmolenko

CF: Doumbia

CF:Fierro

Subs- Souttar, Paredes, Giaccherini, Fletcher, Hughes (Loan), Henriquez (Loan),

Ive also brought in a whole load of quality regens including 2 of the best ive seen and 2 5 star potential players through my youth system

Playing as Leeds United and finished second in the first season ... therefore promoted to EPL. I had inconsistent results but somehow come good towards end of the season. I bought only Basham and sold a couple. But to be honest I have found this BETA disappointing... of the 1000 plus improvements... none seem to stand out to me as significant... but they may as the game progresses. I personally dislike the new interface but I know many others who like it. I guess SI can't please all the people all the time :) I will probably download a 3rd party skin to a cosmetic look I find more appealing.

I doubt i'll stay with this save... will start as Leeds again once the full game is released. But for now I'll try to keep my team in the EPL and see what happens.

Playing as Swansea - starting to find my feet. Now currently 14th after winning a few on the bounce. Had a lot of narrow loses and draws. Getting a lot of procession though which is good.

Really enjoying it though and will carry this on after full game in out and possibly a long term save.

Interested to here if anyone will be using their beta save as a long term save?

Pretty decent with Rangers; Lost in the LC to Ross County lost in the LCC to Raith (semi final ) knocked Celtic out the SC and so far 18 wins 1 draw from 19 league games.

What tactics you using? I finished season 1, won league and Ramsdens but got beat by sellic in both big cups, 3_1 and 1_0. Using 4132.

Finished my first season as Man united. I won the league by 7 points. It was a good close fight at the top until the final month. Turning points were a 1-0 wins away at City and a last minute goal to beat Chelsea. I also fielded a weakened team against Bayern to rest players for league games against Stoke and Fulham; the league was always my priority in the first season.

In the first season I sold Young, Valencia, Nani, and Buttner and signed Coentrao, Herrera and Draxler. I play a 4-2-3-1 with a front four of Draxler Rooney Januzaj and RVP. Now in my second season I've let Giggs, Fletcher, Ferdinand and Evra go and sold Cleverley. I've signed Thiago, Luke Shaw, and Oliver Toress (loaned him straight back) im also considering making Angelo Henriquez a part of the squad instead of loaning him out again. I've also bought a few promising 15 and 16 year old regens. I always try to build young squads.

Just finished the first season as allmighty Stoke. We won the League Cup and ended 2nd in league.

That's quite worrying tbh. You should never be able to have that much success in the first season with a team like Stoke. I had concerns the new tactics system would make things too easy.

Why is it worrying? He could be a quality manager getting his best out of the team. The new tactic system doesnt make it any easier, just more streamlined

Getting the best out of Stoke in season 1 should be a top 10 finish, not finishing 2nd in the league. I know that traditionally, FM becomes easy for good managers as the seasons go on, but IMO, you should never be able to take a team like Stoke to 2nd in the EPL in the first season.

Just my opinion though.

Playing as Leyton Orient, using a 4-1-2-2-1 formation which is doing the business so far, am 3rd in the league after 7 games (won 4 drawn 3 lost 0), lost in the 2nd round of the League cup on penalties to Norwich after a 3-3 draw (was 2-0 up), although as I support Norwich I wasn't too disappointed. Currently working on making more of corners as I haven't created 1 goal from one yet.

All in all, early days am enjoying the beta, and for me is the best 'out of the box' (although it's not even that yet) version yet.

I started unemployed with rep as sunday league footballer. Got the Wrexham job in December 2013. Led them to 4th place finish and got beat in the play-offs by Cambridge.

Didn't want to renew my contract as I thought I could get a bigger job, turns out I was wrong and have returned to Wrexham when their manager got sacked in June 2015.

Currently October and I'm 5th in the Skrill Premier. Struggling to gain any sort of consistency and morale not too high. Been hit by injuries and I'm expected at least to gain promotion.

Really enjoying FM14 a hell of a lot more than I did FM13. Gonna stick with this save and work my way up to a PL club or England manager hopefully!

Currently struggling no matter who I am, or what tactic I do... I must be doing something wrong but I really am not enjoying FM14. :(

Anyone nice enough to possibly let me try out their tactic that they've had success with to see if its that, or whether its just the mac version being rubbish as I am loosing patience fast now! :(

Dont think it really works like that this year (or FM13 for that matter), you cant fit a square peg in a round hole, I dont think another persons tactic will work if you dont have the players to suit it. Who you playing with, how you trying to play etc etc...

Archived