FM14: Manchester United FC Thread - Dawn of a New Evra!

batty1

Reached 100 games in management lsat night:

23r37lc.png

While Ryan Giggs is still breaking records :D

2hozevn.png

But he's retiring :(

29o5thx.png

Taught Liverpool a lesson, they are 2nd in the league to me:

2cfb0bo.png

And finally, I retained the League Cup too:

51byhs.png

Played around 9 hours on the new patch last night, and I only really have one pressing concern, and that is that I only saw 1 corner goal in all that time (between me and the ai), kind of feels that its been over compensated too far, anyone else finding this?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reached 100 games in management lsat night:

23r37lc.png

While Ryan Giggs is still breaking records :D

2hozevn.png

But he's retiring :(

29o5thx.png

Taught Liverpool a lesson, they are 2nd in the league to me:

2cfb0bo.png

And finally, I retained the League Cup too:

51byhs.png

Played around 9 hours on the new patch last night, and I only really have one pressing concern, and that is that I only saw 1 corner goal in all that time (between me and the ai), kind of feels that its been over compensated too far, anyone else finding this?

What skin and background pack do you use

Season One Review: So I finally managed to get around to finishing a full season on FM14 (I have tried and failed a few times to get into the game), I went against my usual nature when playing FM and have not made any changes to the squad for this season. I Have bought in Luke Shaw for £26m for the start of next year and I have used the Editor to change Rooney's contract to the reported £300,00 per week and extend it.

Squad Analysis

Rooney was the stand out player of the season, playing in a withdrawn shadow striker role, he finished as the top scorer and assist maker for the team. He also went on to claim the Player of the year title and World Player of the year.

Rafael also went on the claim the young player of the year for the league.

yt3n.png

Throughout the season I found that my main striker (RVP, Hernandez or Welbeck) struggled to get involved in the game and score on a consistent basis, thankfully however everyone of my outfield players scored at least once in the season and this took the burden away from them.

Tactics I played the majority of the season using a 4-2-3-1 formation.

sgmf.png

and used the following team instructions:

avyl.png

Competitions In the end the league was fairly straight forward, we hit the magic 100 mark for goals and lead practically from start to finish. Arsenal finished down in 12th place but managed to sneak in to the Europa League on virtue for their FA Cup performance. The highlight of the season for us was beating Liverpool 6-0 on their own ground. However this result did drop them into the relegation zone and lead to the sacking of Brendan Rodgers which caused and upturn in their fortunes (they finished 7th).

pv8x.png

European Qualifiers and relagated teams through the league.

Fixtures and Results:

jj3o.png

FA Cup: Another trophy added to the collection, though we did it the hard way with a few replays in the earlier rounds. Thankfully we made it to Wembley and saw off Arsenal 1-0 in the final.

0oc6.png

Capital One Cup: We failed to add this trophy to our cabinet this season with Chelsea, who we eventually went out to going on to beat championship side Nottingham Forest 5-0 in the final.

swkc.png

Champions League: A great achievement in bringing this trophy back to Old Trafford for a fourth time, it took penalties against a good PSG team in the final, but we'll take it. Nemanja Vidic was a monster all competition finishing not only as the highest rated player but also as the fourth highest goalscorer in the competition!

Group Stage:

fe5n.png - Only a defeat away to Dortmund ruined a great group stage for us, but we qualified comfortably at the top.

Knock-out Stages:

3r89.png - We survived an early scare in the knock-out rounds, turning a defeat to Ajax around in the second leg thanks to two late Vidic goals. From then on though it was pretty much plain sailing until we got to the final.

There we met PSG and after 120 minutes of entertaining, yet goalless football in which we finished with only nine players on the park (due to injuries). Jonny Evans kept his nerve to fire home the winning penalty.

We also started the year off by winning the community shield against Wigan at Wembley.

Looking forward to next season, I will be moving on Buttner as Shaw is coming in as the long term replacement to Evra. Giggs and Ferdinand did enough to be offered new one-year deals but will be bit part going forward. I will also more than likely look to cash in on RVP following his poor performances last season and his age.

On to Season two..

Couple of monster wins coming up, my tactics seems to have improved since the patch :)

New record PL win:

30ubdw1.png

Dominated double-winning PSG, after losing the first leg 2-0, I went all out attack:

ipcl8h.png

Finally, do semi final first legs of the CL get any better than this? :D

2ce4xh1.png

stevemc

This is not a criticism, but you really don't seem to create many Clear Cut Chances, despite having loads of attempts. The Forest game is really striking. Fantastic result winning 10-0, but you had 33 attempts and yet only 6 of them were CCC's. I'm guessing you create a fair few of half chances?

stevemc

This is not a criticism, but you really don't seem to create many Clear Cut Chances, despite having loads of attempts. The Forest game is really striking. Fantastic result winning 10-0, but you had 33 attempts and yet only 6 of them were CCC's. I'm guessing you create a fair few of half chances?

Yeah, I just seem to be dominating games. My tactic wasn't this potent pre-patch (14.3), it was good, but I've started banging the goals in for fun now.

Look at the Wolfsburg away game, I created 9 CCC's.

stevemc

Personally I don't think the CCC stat is that important as it used to be.

Personally I don't think the CCC stat is that important as it used to be.

Well of course it's not, I never said it was. I just pointed out that for so many attempts in that Forest game he had a rather low amount of them.

I wasn't saying you did :) I used to concentrate on that stat soo much on previous versions, to the point of obsession, trying to get them as high as possible. I started off like that n this version as well until I won 15-0 with 56 shots 47 on target and only 3 CCC. I wish SI would remove that stat from the main match stat screen to be honest and just make it available when you go into an in depth analysis of the game.

Giving a united save a go on the new patch.

Going to try play a 4231 but with 3 attacking mids rather than wingers, going for Janujaz, Rooney and Mata. Anyone got any recommendations for roles?

Thinking Rooney SS, Mata AP but not sure what to go for with Janujaz yet... Gonna have RVP as a Poacher too I reckon.

Have already flogged Hernandez for 20 mill and Valencia for 15. Bought in Will Hughes, Nat Clyne and Callum Chambers. Trying to rebuild the squad with young english talent although Uniteds current youth ain't up to much cop, thinking a back 4 of Chambers, Jones, Smalling and Clyne should work pretty well, potentially looking at Shaw if I get a bit more cash.

Help guys I've gone mental! Just began a Man Utd save one the new patch. Brock in the patch release statement teasingly suggested that taking over at Man Utd with the arrival of Mata and attempting to better Moyes was just too good to turn down. Only problem is I've had a mass clear out of what I considered to be the deadwood (barring Rafael, but I wanted an English emphasis on the team)

Players Out: Evans, Nani, Hernandez, Young, Welbeck, Rafael, Evra, Valencia and Cleverly, netting nearly £100million for them all! (no one will take Ferdinand)

Players In: K. Walker, L. Shaw, Balanta and Huntelaar. totalling £65million.

The board at first only gave 50%of incoming transfers so I ran out of money and needed a back up striker and Huntelaar was all I could find for cheap. Bit irritating but as long as I can hang in there, there or there abouts by Xmas I hope the board will back me with the finances to bring in 2/3 players as I'm starting with only an 18man squad due to getting carried away selling players.

Wishlist: Wilshere, Suarez (one can dream), unidentified CB & CM (any suggestions would be great!)

you are mad getting rid of evans and rafael!!! lol

and you replace hernandez and wellbeck with huntelaar??

I also notice you want an English emphasis on the squad yet you sell 3 English and only bring in 2 lol

I would look to the u21 and u18... Michael Keane is a promising CB and there are a few CM to chose from who can do a job with some training and first team experience. There is a lot of talent in there if used in the right way.

you are mad getting rid of evans and rafael!!! lol

and you replace hernandez and wellbeck with huntelaar??

I also notice you want an English emphasis on the squad yet you sell 3 English and only bring in 2 lol

I would look to the u21 and u18... Michael Keane is a promising CB and there are a few CM to chose from who can do a job with some training and first team experience. There is a lot of talent in there if used in the right way.

Yep I got carried away :lol: Rafael was especially a silly move - But I banked £5million selling him and signing a replacement who's potential is to be 1/2 a star more than Rafael. Tottenham offered £20million for Welbeck and Chelsea offered £20million for Hernandez that's £40million for two subsitute players and replaced them with 1 striker costing £10million! ...I've just sent Keane out on loan to Sheff Utd, The plan is to crawl through to January and bolster the squad with 2/3 quality signings for the run in.

I do want the English emphasis but I want quality not quantity, I'm playing 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMCs and no wingers so Young was rendered useless - To accomodate Rooney, Van Persie, Mata and Januzaj I couldn't afford to play with wingers. The dream is to sign Wilshere in January but remains to be seen whether it'll be possible.

Won Charity shield 3-0 and just beat Hull City 5-1 first game of season so not a bad start by any means with Huntelaar bagging 4 goals in those two games. (Van Persie torn Hamstring - 3 months :( ) The thing with Welbeck and Hernandez is I play with a DLF or a TM and neither can really play either so both were rendered useless, I said beforehand I was going to be ruthless, but in hindsight maybe I should of kept one of the two!

Wilshere would cost about 40-50m unless you tap him up for a while... Well that was on the old patch, I'm not on the new patch yet till I have finished my target.

damn I only got about £24m for the pair of them not almost that each :(

A question... Do you have a back up plan if the 4-2-3-1 doesn't work in certain matches? Having a winger or 2 can give you an extra tactical option when you are struggling to break through a team

Wilshere would cost about 40-50m unless you tap him up for a while... Well that was on the old patch, I'm not on the new patch yet till I have finished my target.

damn I only got about £24m for the pair of them not almost that each :(

A question... Do you have a back up plan if the 4-2-3-1 doesn't work in certain matches? Having a winger or 2 can give you an extra tactical option when you are struggling to break through a team

In an ideal world I would mate, But due to the fact the board only allowed 50% of revenue in I just couldn't afford it, and personally I really despise Young anyway for all his diving antics so until I can afford them I will just have to go with what I've got. Just got beat to Fulham away 1-0 - this is tough!

EDIT: injury list is adding up :lol:

Wilshere cost's an absolute fortune. Admittedly I am playing my save right from the start, but I have offered Arsenal £70-80m various times for him, to have it rejected every single time. And tapping up doesn't really help in this years version much either. Have regularly been praising Hazard, Oscar and Wilshere - to the point where I am a favored personnel of Oscar and Hazard, but none of them have ever requested a transfer.

And, you can always use Januzaj and Mata as wingers, or at least inside forwards. I use Januzaj and Draxler as Inside forwards in a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-5-1), set them to swap wings with each other, and they tear teams apart.

Wilshere cost's an absolute fortune. Admittedly I am playing my save right from the start, but I have offered Arsenal £70-80m various times for him, to have it rejected every single time. And tapping up doesn't really help in this years version much either. Have regularly been praising Hazard, Oscar and Wilshere - to the point where I am a favored personnel of Oscar and Hazard, but none of them have ever requested a transfer.

And, you can always use Januzaj and Mata as wingers, or at least inside forwards. I use Januzaj and Draxler as Inside forwards in a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-5-1), set them to swap wings with each other, and they tear teams apart.

Yeah, that really bugs me about this game. IRL if a player hear's of interest from another team they're interested in - a Transfer request is slapped in first thing!

Hmmm, it's definitely food for thought. Being realistic I don't think I have the squad to compete with Chelsea and Man City this year so i'll settle for CL qualification then begin my assault on the title next season. IRL this Man Utd team needs changing drastically aswell so in all things considered this is more realistic...

Tapping can work but it takes time. I managed to get lampard from chelsea by constantly tapping him up to the point where he refused a new contract and I snapped him up on a free

Tapping can work but it takes time. I managed to get lampard from chelsea by constantly tapping him up to the point where he refused a new contract and I snapped him up on a free

Mmmmm, I am currently in the 7th season, and have been tapping up Hazard and Oscar since the end of the first season, praising etc every month (have set a note to remind me to do it once a month), and neither has every requested a transfer or refused a new contract. As I said, it doesn't really work, not as well as it used to in previous versions.

2014/15 review:

Won the league pretty comfortably:

2lizn05.png

2lufkbd.png

And some personal accolades:

9717h0.png

2psn9q9.png

2dklte0.png

2rze241.png

qo605s.png

Topped the season off by winning the Champions League, especially after losing it last year in the 90th minute to Barcelona:

aaxctz.png

And finally, Arsenal still cannot win a cup... :D

2d7yn2h.png

I was looking at him but I have so many who can play in his position. Can you post a screenie of him on your save? just want to see how different he is on yours to mine... I mean how you have improved him :)

I swear I am never going to win the Capital One Cup, just lost in the 3rd round again!!!, to Cardiff this time 9-8 on pens with De Gea missing the last pen. 3 seasons in a row now. It's the only trophy I have yet to win as United manager this save

I've just agreed to sign Luke Shaw in Jan for a deal worth upto 26m and am in negotiations to sign hughes for 12.5m with 5m of that upfront, the rest over certain games and goals. So I will probably sign him as well as I know they are accepting the offer. Where do you play Hughes, scott?

Bought Hughes in the summer, having him tutored by Fletcher so he picks up the ''Arrives Late in Oppositions Area'' PPM, currently playing him as a Regista but honestly, he can potentially play in any position in mid-field.

Edit - Agreed to get Lewa coming in Janurary, Mata and Lewa :cool:

I'm still deciding where I would play hughes, he does look like he can play anywhere so hes good to have. I have him as a back up in his contract.

Oh how much are you getting lewa for?

I was looking at him but I have so many who can play in his position. Can you post a screenie of him on your save? just want to see how different he is on yours to mine... I mean how you have improved him :)

I'll post a screenie tonight when I get home :)

I think he has that "dictates tempo" PPM, its beautiful to watch :D

Started the 2015/16 last night, bit of a mixed start really, Summer was quiet, the board are getting tighter (despite my success), they gave me £40m and 75% of sales, but I didn't really have anyone in the squad to sell on to add more money to that, I was hoping to sign Luke Shaw, but then the opportunity to sign Marquinhos turned up and couldn't afford both, like wise Jack Wilshere went to Man City for £35m too.

My dealings:

15eehro.png

I nearly signed O'Campos too, he was available for £8m, but decided to stick with Zaha who has made a brilliant start to the season, and will get plenty of games now that Mata (2 months) and Bale (3 months) are out injured.

Won the Charity Shield on pens, after a poor performance:

iqy5h5.png

Then really found top form on the opening game of the season, before losing the next game 2-1 to Tottenham, and being ripped apart by Manchester City in the Super Cup Final:

j90utl.png

15ek0fr.png

Had a decent League Cup draw as I go for winning it three years on the bounce, and her is my Champions League draw:

2b88j7.png

I've found that this now 14.3 seems to herald more goals, so I've tweaked my tactics (since the Manchester City mauling) to keep it tighter at the back, focusing on defending and defensive positioning, playing "counter" away from home and "attacking" at home, and its working nicely. Still playing around with the corner set up though.

Season    League             League Finish   FA Cup         League Cup    Europe              Charity Shield     Super Cup    World Club Cup    Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14   Premier League     1st             Runner's Up    Winners       [CL] Runner's Up    Winners             -           -                 Manager of Year
2013/14   Premier League     1st             5th Round      Winners       [CL] Winners        Runner's Up         -           -                 Manager of Year

Only a season and a half I think and the loans paid off so you will have more money to spend then :)

That will be nice :)

Only problem is that I'll have a perfectly aged squad by then, and I probably won't need to sign any really expensive players :D

You say that but I bet you will find a couple you just have to sign :p I have a good squad and didn't need to bring in shaw and hughes but I did it because I just had to spend some cash haha Have to sell a couple now to make space lol

True :D

I've already starting planning for the future, I have signed Barbosa (described as the new Ronaldo) to replace RVP long term, I also have Vietto and Henriquez to replace Rooney eventually. I've got a regen CB to replace Evans too, and I've already replaced Rio, Vidic and Valencia.

I need to make LB a priority new Summer, I'd love Alaba.

thought you had Shaw?

Ooh a new Ronaldo, fat one or Madrid one? If the latter I may have to take a look, I have been trying to get Ronaldo for 3 seasons now and he keeps telling me to eff off lol. Although again I don't need him or anyone else I have some great youth breaking through to add to the experienced players.

thought you had Shaw?

Ooh a new Ronaldo, fat one or Madrid one? If the latter I may have to take a look, I have been trying to get Ronaldo for 3 seasons now and he keeps telling me to eff off lol. Although again I don't need him or anyone else I have some great youth breaking through to add to the experienced players.

Fat Ronaldo I presume, as he's Brazilian.

No, I had a £27m bid accepted for Shaw, but couldn't afford him and Marquinhos in the same Summer.

Fat Ronaldo I presume, as he's Brazilian.

No, I had a £27m bid accepted for Shaw, but couldn't afford him and Marquinhos in the same Summer.

I have just looked at him on mine, barcelona hae him :(

Surely alaba would cost more than shaw?

Have you seen this guy?

facundo.jpg

He's my back up striker who I sometimes play as an inside forward. I have Vietto as my main striker now RVP can't score anymore, henriquez is on the bench at the mo but I'm selling RVP so henriquez will get more game time

I have just looked at him on mine, barcelona hae him :(

Surely alaba would cost more than shaw?

Have you seen this guy?

facundo.jpg

He's my back up striker who I sometimes play as an inside forward. I have Vietto as my main striker now RVP can't score anymore, henriquez is on the bench at the mo but I'm selling RVP so henriquez will get more game time

Yeah, Alaba & Shaw would be great as both my options :D I'll get rid of Evra, and I currently have Jonathan Silva who is only 21, but he's suffering some real issues, but I rejected a £20m bid for him in the Summer from Bayern. so I know I can generate value from him if I need.

RVP is a monster for me, but I had Henriquez in an old Wolves save and he's develops into a lethal finisher, so I think he can replace RVP long term.

RVP was great for me but hes getting old and my tactics have evolved with the team building I am doing and he doesn't fit in the fast attacking style.

Evra keeps getting sent off so I am letting him go on a free at the end of the season... Buttner, Fabio and shaw will take me forward although I may sell Buttner for 10m as spurs are interested.

Thats a point has anyone noticed Spurs wanting practically the whole team? They want about 9 of my players but they are going to have to pay at least 3 times the value of players for me to even think about it.. I have put Viettos price tag up to 60m and Spurs still want him

RVP was great for me but hes getting old and my tactics have evolved with the team building I am doing and he doesn't fit in the fast attacking style.

Evra keeps getting sent off so I am letting him go on a free at the end of the season... Buttner, Fabio and shaw will take me forward although I may sell Buttner for 10m as spurs are interested.

Thats a point has anyone noticed Spurs wanting practically the whole team? They want about 9 of my players but they are going to have to pay at least 3 times the value of players for me to even think about it.. I have put Viettos price tag up to 60m and Spurs still want him

My full backs were prone to red/yellow cards too, so I removed the "hard tacking" and "hassle opponents" and it seems to helped.

Archived