FM14: Manchester United FC Thread - Dawn of a New Evra!

batty1

if you have nothing to say about the game say nothing at all?

I have done though. :thup:

and I have to ask, has anyone tried to get Valdes on a free?

Seen a few manage to sign him for Liverpool. However, as others have said, his wage demands seem a bit toppy.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lewandoswski is showing on mine as having agreed a move to Bayern, so he is untouchable, would have been my first choice.

Only looking for a back up with Welbeck, because i sold Henandez for £25Mil, and in my first save he never really impressed me tbh

Lewandoswski is showing on mine as having agreed a move to Bayern, so he is untouchable, would have been my first choice.

Only looking for a back up with Welbeck, because i sold Henandez for £25Mil, and in my first save he never really impressed me tbh

I started on the updated patch, United also get £44M now for winning the league

Chelsea wanted £99 million for Lukaku!!!

Bargain! ;)

I'm sure I looked at Benteke and his finishing was around 14? Can anyone confirm? Not on FM. I was thinking Diego Costa could be an option but his price will likely be ridiculous.

So started my second save yesterday after using the first as a learning curve and to test the waters, I will be probably sticking with this save long term.

Transfers in : Koke (12.75m), Keisuke Honda (1.5m), Gabriel lancu (13m), Giuseppe Bellusci (2.9m)

Transfers out : Ben Amos (825k), Buttner (4.5m), Anderson (10m), Nani (7.5m), Zaha (Loan to Newcastle), Adnan JanUzaj (Loan to Bristol City), Gabriel lancu (Loan to Bologna)

Going really well after a great pre season, beating Barcelona 4-0 was good for the team.

Wigan in the CS (Won 2-1 Rooney and Fellani)

Swansea Away (Won 2-1 Hernandez and Cleverley)

West Ham at Home (Drew 0-0, got fined for having 7 player booked)

Arsenal Away (Lost 1-0 despite dominating the whole game with multiple clear cut chances, one counter attack from them and Ozil gets a goal)

Sunderland at Home (Won 3-1 Bellusci, RVP and Kagawa)

AC Milan at Home (Won 3-1Rooney x2 and Koke)

Hull at Home (Won 3-0 Rooney, Hernandez and Kagawa)

Derby Away (won 2-1 RVP and Kagawa)

West Brom Away (Won 3-1 RVPx2 and Kagawa)

Steaua Away (Drew 1-1 RVP)

Everton at Home (Won 4-1 Evans, RVP, Rooney and Kagawa)

Norwich at Home (Won 1-0 Hernandez)

Ajax Away (won 1-0 RVP)

Fulham Away (Won 2-0 Bellusci and RVP)

Sunderland Away in the Cup (Drew 3-3 Rooney, Kagawa and Vidic. Kagawa missed a penalty for to lose on penaltys)

Strongest formation and lineup is a 4312 at Home and I sometimes drop to a 442 playing away against good teams

De Gea (GK), Rafael (RB), Vidic (DC), Bellusci (DC), Evra (LB), Jones (CM, Ball Winning Midfielder Defend), Honda (CM, Deep Lying Playmaker Support), Fellani (CM, Box to Box Midfielder), Kagawa (AM, Advanced Playmaker Attack), Rooney (Target Man Attack), RVP (Complete Forward Support).

Kagawa having a fantastic season for me so far, Honda and Kagawa link up so well from midfield to advance positions. Koke playing bit part so far as I want him to try and settle into the new enviroment and country. Hernandez used as a super sub and Welbeck I will probably ship out in January if theres a buyer, along with Young and Valencia. Bellusci has pushed Ferdinand out of the team and is an absolute rock for me, absolute soldier

Bargain! ;)

I'm sure I looked at Benteke and his finishing was around 14? Can anyone confirm? Not on FM. I was thinking Diego Costa could be an option but his price will likely be ridiculous.

Yeah it is.... Hoping putting him on Finishing training will help improve it

Lewendowski is going to bayern on mine as well. tempting to make a fresh save just so i can have Alaba, and grab Honda and Lewendowski

I also looked at Benteke and was dissapointed, still Aston Villa are down near the bottom early doors so maybe.

but my scout said Llorente was 28.5m which is tempting.

Something i have noticed on this years game is the team talk i normally give to my younger players (Calm - No Pressure) seems to demotivate, rather than gain confidence like it did in FM13....

Can anyone suggest a alternative talk to take the pressure off my young players, because ive always found that it gives better performances.

Update on Benteke, i have been using him as my starting striker (Due to Rooney Injury). Playing him as a Complete Forward, or Target Man, still trying to find what works best.

Played - 3 (1 as Sub)

Scored - 1

Assists - 1

Ave Rating - 7.53

Having a bit of a fiddle on Beta. So far brought in Ross Barkely (fee rising to £21.5million, initial fee was just £8million though), and Sami Khedira (fee rising £20.5million, initial fee again small at £9million). Only player out is Buttner for £4.2million to PSV.

Well happy with those deals and now got a lovely squad to work.

2nd season getting ever nearer and looking to bring in a young(23or younger) cb.Plus 2 cm that will rotate and play cm advanced playmaker,again 23 or under.Bargains needed with a 45 million budget,with some of the older guy leaving on frees in a few days it could add a few more million.

Budget pushed up to 90 million.

Current squad

gk De Gea/Valdes(free)

dr Rafael/Callum Chambers (rafael great player but not always happy,currently unhappy i rejected offer of 20 million from PSG)

dl Shaw/Fabio

dc Evans/Smalling

dc Jones/ CB REQUIRED

dmc Camacho/Fellani

mc BTB Carrick/Fletcher Both getting on though.

mc AP Cleverly/ 2 CM REQUIRED,1AP AND 1 BTB.

aml Welbeck/juanazi

amr Rooney/Zaha/Kagawa

sc RVP/Hernandez/Henriquez.

90 million,but dont want to spend all that to bring in cb and 2 x cm.

increased to 98 million,got my wage budget down to 1.9 million a week.

De Jong 29,7.5 million offer accepted.Good buy?.

3 x 40 million offers for Rafael accepted.I will have 30 million of it as 75% of future sales i get.

so looking at 130 million budget now.

Who do i sign? Nigel De Jong 7.5 million?

what Rb to replace rafael?.

Started what I think will be a long term save with United a couple of days back, I started with no first window budget to see how I'd get on with the original squad. I'm about halfway through the season and all is going well so far.

Competitions

I'm leading the PL on goal difference over Chelsea after 19 games, my opening 7 fixtures in the league looked winnable up until Tottenham away however an injury to Carrick for the first 3 months really made it hard with the original squad. I drew 4 of my opening 8 fixtures before going on a 6 game winning run which was ended by West Brom, then came four ridiculously placed fixtures one after the other Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City in December. Got through a tricky looking Champions League group as winners over Zenit, Leverkusen and Milan in that order, I've drawn PSG in the 1st knockout round and I've got COC semi's against Fulham. Won the Community Shield as I suspect everyone has and finally I drew Reading away in the FA Cup.

Fixtures and Results Screenshot

Screenshot of PL Overview Page

Players

Starting with the original squad I knew where the strengths and weaknesses of the team where and I knew who I'd be keeping and those that will eventually be let go of. An injury to Carrick right at the start of the season was a huge blow for me, knowing full well there no one else with the quality to replace him. I attribute my slow start to his injury and trying different players in his role, Rooney has had an average start thus far and I'm not sure how to get the best out him an injury to RVP means he'll need to step it up for the next few weeks at least.

Rafael has been a revelation putting in some superb performances playing as CWB he really is outstanding, Evra too has been great playing as either a WB or Full back. De Gea has been top quality keeping 13 clean sheets in 19 games, I try and rotate Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans and Jones just to keep players fresh. Fellaini has been decent as my main partner to Carrick in CM playing as a BBM, I use Cleverly as my first choice of cover after him its Giggs and Anderson the former getting the winning goal in the San Siro. Valencia seems to be my best winger in terms of goals but Nani seems to be better at assisting them, Young has done nothing of note and I'd like him off the books as soon as. Kagawa hasn't nailed anything down yet a bit like in the real world playing him in hole doesn't seem to be doing it, I've gotten more from him out on the left as an AP but that isn't saying much.

Screenshot of Squad including Stats

Tactics

My intentions were to go with the obvious 4-2-3-1 formation but I found it was not getting the best out of my team so I switched to a 4-4-2 with advanced wingers to play the 'Man Utd way'. My team looked better and seemingly played better too, I have recently pulled to the wingers back to create a flat 4-4-2 for a little more balance in the side. I set the team to play with an attacking mentality with a balanced style of play, I created a custom shout getting the team to play at a higher tempo and to push right up etc... In terms of attacking play my side creates a lot of chances and we usually take possession of around 55 to 60% enough to satisfy the board I hope.

I created a 4-5-1 formation as my secondary tactic using it against some of the better teams away from home. Jones plays the anchorman role with Carrick and Fellaini just in front, the only problem this formation creates for me is whether to play Rooney or RVP up top. Normally I've been going with RVP upfront and Rooney thrown out left as an AP, I set the side to play a balanced style with standard mentality. I created a second custom shout to retain possession and play at a slower tempo. This tactic creates fewer chances but keeps around 60% of the ball.

Screenshot of my main formation with custom shouts.

Screenshot of my second formation with custom shouts.

January Transfers

The board has given me £13.5m to spend but I mostly happy with the squad as it is, I will need to sell off a number of players too up my money. PSG and Monaco have been sniffing about Evra but I'm reluctant to let him go without getting someone in who can be a starter. Alaba has signed a new contract so I'm looking at Shaw or maybe Coentráo as Baines at 29 is overpriced and a little too old. More quality in the midfield is a must but who do I buy? Any suggestions will be more than welcome. Another winger may also be on the cards.

Potential Outgoings: Young, Amos, Anderson and Búttner. I will let Zaha and maybe Januzaj go out on loan.

I've had to use Steam for my screenshots as Imageshack doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

Anyone managed to get Welbeck scoring?

Signed Munian, Thiago & Shaw (loaned back for a year to Southampton) in my save, Munian and Kags got 3 month hammy injuries so played Welbeck as a WTM in the AML position (I play 4231 wide) and he banged in 11 in 15 games before getting a knock that kept him out for a few weeks himself, hasn't scored in 7 and has gone off the boil since he came back from the injury.

On the bright side, gave Januzaj a 5 year contract and the #7 shirt :cool:, 8 starts and 9 sub apps and he's got 5 goals and 2 assists generally playing as an IF on the AMR position for me. I'm bedding him in by using him as backup for Nani on the right wing, flogged Tony V to Chelsea for 30m too, couldn't get rid of Cleverley, Anderson and Young especially though unfortunately.

Won the league and champions league very comfortably in my first season which was very surprising, thought there would be more tinkering with my 3 centre backs and wing backs but 24 league clean sheets says otherwise. Beat Bayern 4-0 on agg in the semi and Chelsea 3-0 in the final.

Sold Hernandez for 19 million and signed Kevin Volland on loan from Bayern. De Bruyne signed for 5 million, Marquinhos signed for the best part of 30 million too. Coentrao signed for 6 million to replace Evra.

Evra, Ferdinand, Giggs left for nothing and Fletcher went for 7 million.

Still missing a great centre mid but Ward-Prowse in developing well and Carrick still has another year but the budget will be spent in this area next summer

i'm having good results with attacking - fluid , short passing , play narrower , higher tempo

Thanks. Do you (or anyone else having success) simply have player roles set by your tactics or do you change them depending on who plays to suit the players?

I have the beta but I'm going to wait until the full version comes out before I start what I hope to be a long term game at United :)

Who do i sign? Nigel De Jong 7.5 million?

what Rb to replace rafael?.

7.5 for De Jong is too much i think, especially considering his age.

As for a RB, i always have Jones playing really well at RB for me.... Alternatives.... Montoya is available for cheap, and Marquinhos seems to be a good prospect, not sure if PSG will sell like, but its worth a look

Started a new game on the updated beta. Brought in Khedira to solidify the midfield and a young Argentinian as potential backup for Left Back. Just let the rest of team show what they can do in the first season.

Played around with a 4-2-3-1 (2DM, 1CM) and a 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1) tactic, but the latter gave the best results.

Loving the game so far, but hating games like these (FA cup semi final against City):

3E634CE50D6F757217D12BA455925B88193C42C5

7.5 for De Jong is too much i think, especially considering his age.

As for a RB, i always have Jones playing really well at RB for me.... Alternatives.... Montoya is available for cheap, and Marquinhos seems to be a good prospect, not sure if PSG will sell like, but its worth a look

paid 25 for walker in the end,Montoya had recently moved on.I went ahead with De Jong,just hope it pays off.He will rotate the dm role with Camacho.

Next issue,Rooneys contract nearly up(end of the season).I refuse to pay him 250k a week he wants.Just getting rid of him now is difficult.

Signed Munian, Thiago & Shaw (loaned back for a year to Southampton) in my save, Munian and Kags got 3 month hammy injuries so played Welbeck as a WTM in the AML position (I play 4231 wide) and he banged in 11 in 15 games before getting a knock that kept him out for a few weeks himself, hasn't scored in 7 and has gone off the boil since he came back from the injury.

On the bright side, gave Januzaj a 5 year contract and the #7 shirt :cool:, 8 starts and 9 sub apps and he's got 5 goals and 2 assists generally playing as an IF on the AMR position for me. I'm bedding him in by using him as backup for Nani on the right wing, flogged Tony V to Chelsea for 30m too, couldn't get rid of Cleverley, Anderson and Young especially though unfortunately.

Nice man I just cant seem to get Welbeck to score, and when I do put him in the side and tell the team before the game that I expect them to carry on our winning ways he feels pressurised and stressed lol.

Just beat Spurs 2-0 away which is a fantastic result and Lamela played a mighty game against me, might try and go in for him in Jan as hes been outstanding for them all season aswel, quoting me 39 million though, i'll try and unsettle him until January

Welbeck keeps missing his shots for me, but i got him to score the odd one or 2, I just need to stop him cutting out wide.

I'm using attacking - fluid - short passing - exploit the flanks.

Tony V is an assist machine, I am also using Ben pearson in DM when Fellaini needs a rest.

@falahk Not in front of my home computer now but i supposed it didn't trigger rvp match highest earner clause?
in short, RvP was downright dire in a match, I took the proper disciplinary actions, it lead to a conversation where I told him to back down or get transfer listed, a while later he was off to Barcelona for £40m after spending a few months in my freezer (so he had already departed on the first day of the winter window, before I signed Rooney to a new deal)

thinking about it in retrospect it was probably the right choice anyway, since I would not get such a high fee had I waited longer with selling him, and I still have to many strikers in the squad dispite selling him

Strict disciplinary tactician you are good sire.

Not too shabby a sum to get for a 29yr old though.

does mean I lose out on a bit of quality in the short term thought, this in combination with me using youth players more often probably mean that my league win will be less comfortable then the one posted by knap on the first page

I'm currently in my first season.

Managed to offload Young to Everton (£6.25m), Anderson to Valencia (£7.6m), Buttner to FC Twente (£4m) and Macheda to Wigan (£1.3m). Brought in Alaba (£22m) and Kovacic (£12.25m).

First in the league after 15 games - won 14, drew 1 away at Stoke. I'm 10 points ahead of second place at the moment. However, I now have a run of Man City, Everton and Spurs in the December congestion.

Januzaj's progressing very nicely for me with Shinji tutoring him. A defence of Smalling and Jones has been absolutely phenomenal.

I'm looking to renew the contracts of Smalling, Jones, Evans, De Gea, Kagawa, Welbeck, Rafael and get them on five year deals as they will be the spine of my side for the foreseeable future, but their agents are all ******* who want ridiculous appearance fees.

Archived