FM14: What Team should I be?

SRL88

Nation: England/Italy/Germany/France - England hopefully

Division: Doesnt matter

European Competition: dnm

Media Prediction: 5-20

Board Expectation(s): in line with squad quality (after transfers at the latest)

Transfer Budget: LOTS OF MONEY!

Wage Budget: MONEY!

Finances: LOTS OF MONEY

Other: As you can see, i want a mid/low-team with lots of money..

Southampton, Tottenham, Liverpool, Shakhtar, Schalke .. they all have decent amounts of cash, or players you can flog off to have a bit more money to spend. There isn't many mid-low table teams in England with a lot of money to spend, you'd probably be looking at the top-6 in order to spend money ..

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nation: European - preferably not England this time though.

Division: One of the top two leagues.

European Competition: Preferable, but not necessary.

Media Prediction: Title challenge if Second Division, or Top 6 if First Division.

Board Expectation(s): As above. Attacking Football/Give Youth A Chance.

Transfer Budget: Not important.

Wage Budget: Not important.

Finances: Healthy.

Other: I am looking for a club which has a good starting base, has a bit of money to buy a few younger faces, has a few youngsters of their own. A sort of club that doesn't have to buy the top top players and the board doesn't want you to win the league. On my current save, I have bought so many Germans, so that could possibly be factored in as well. I've never played with another team than West Ham, so it should be interesting.

See my post at #146. VfB Stuttgart could suit you. Great youth, massive stadium but still a challenge to break the top clubs. Everything is there for you to push into the next level. They always seem to produce great newgens in my saves, too. If you focus on building a team with majority being German, you should have a great time as it makes it that bit harder. I always focus on my youth academy and German clubs are the best to do that imo, and it's realistic too.

Nation: England, Italy, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Portugal

Division: Preferably not the top division, though an underdog in the top one would suffice

European Competition: None

Media Prediction: Not that important

Board Expectation(s): Any

Transfer Budget: Not important

Wage Budget: Preferably not in the red

Finances: Not important

Other: I would like a team with building blocks in place for sustained succes (youth facilities etc.), and preferably a team which is known for playing a certain brand of football which I can implement.

Thanks, guys.

RB Liepzig? 3.Liga (third tier in Germany), fresh club 'born' 2009. Mould it into what you want. Amazing youth structure for that level. Just waiting for someone to come along and turn them into a German powerhouse. You could get back to back promotions or build slightly slower so it's easier once you're in the big league. All up to you.

Nation: England, Scotland

Division: Any other than the top division in England, and alos Celtic

Media Prediction: Not important

Board Expectation(s): Preferably not favourites for title winner/promotion

Other: A side ideally suited to play 442 from the beginning, and a fairly decent youth system

RB Liepzig? 3.Liga (third tier in Germany), fresh club 'born' 2009. Mould it into what you want. Amazing youth structure for that level. Just waiting for someone to come along and turn them into a German powerhouse. You could get back to back promotions or build slightly slower so it's easier once you're in the big league. All up to you.

Thanks!

Will surely give them a shot!

See my post at #146. VfB Stuttgart could suit you. Great youth, massive stadium but still a challenge to break the top clubs. Everything is there for you to push into the next level. They always seem to produce great newgens in my saves, too. If you focus on building a team with majority being German, you should have a great time as it makes it that bit harder. I always focus on my youth academy and German clubs are the best to do that imo, and it's realistic too.

Thanks mate, will give them a go. Tried a quick save with Arsenal, Dortmund and Chelsea and just couldn't get into them. I am way too involved with my West Ham saves and can't feel it with any other side ..

Nation: England, Scotland

Division: Any other than the top division in England, and alos Celtic

Other: A side ideally suited to play 442 from the beginning, and a fairly decent youth system

Crewe Alexandra? Excellent youth system as their reputation/history suggests. Tactically quite versatile as most of their players can play multiple positions, 4-4-2 certainly no object. A few excellent youngsters amongst their ranks who you can develop to potentially good enough for lower midtable PL sides.

Nation: European - preferably not England this time though.

Division: One of the top two leagues.

European Competition: Preferable, but not necessary.

Media Prediction: Title challenge if Second Division, or Top 6 if First Division.

Board Expectation(s): As above. Attacking Football/Give Youth A Chance.

Transfer Budget: Not important.

Wage Budget: Not important.

Finances: Healthy.

Other: I am looking for a club which has a good starting base, has a bit of money to buy a few younger faces, has a few youngsters of their own. A sort of club that doesn't have to buy the top top players and the board doesn't want you to win the league. On my current save, I have bought so many Germans, so that could possibly be factored in as well. I've never played with another team than West Ham, so it should be interesting.

What about Rangers . as in Glasgow Rangers.

Nation: England, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Norway and Holland

Division: Top

Media Prediction: Mid-table

Board Expectation(s): Finish mid-table/Europe (Europe not that important) (If in Norway/Sweden/Holland then European qualification is the preferred expectation)

Transfer Budget: Enough to bring a player or two in

Wage Budget: ^

Finances: At least secure

Other: I need a side that I can stay at for a few years and build them up to be the best in the country or one of them at least. I am going through an FM rut and I'd like a save that'll engage me.

Nation: England, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Norway and Holland

Division: Top

Media Prediction: Mid-table

Board Expectation(s): Finish mid-table/Europe (Europe not that important) (If in Norway/Sweden/Holland then European qualification is the preferred expectation)

Transfer Budget: Enough to bring a player or two in

Wage Budget: ^

Finances: At least secure

Other: I need a side that I can stay at for a few years and build them up to be the best in the country or one of them at least. I am going through an FM rut and I'd like a save that'll engage me.

How about either of Swansea or Everton? Their squads for the first season is decent enough to push for at least Europe and there's a lot of room to grow them in as well.

Nation: Any European nation (I like the UCL)

Division: Top 2 leagues

European Competition: Don't matter

Media Prediction: Don't matter

Board Expectation(s): Don't matter

Transfer Budget: Enough to buy a player or two.

Wage Budget: Don't matter

Finances: Don't matter.

Other: This will be better to explain. I am looking for a club which has a good starting base, has a bit of money to buy a few younger faces, has a few youngsters of their own. A sort of club that doesn't have to buy the top top players and the board doesn't want you to win the league. Southampton is a great example, but being a Pompey fan... I can't bring myself to do it as my first save on FM :D

A bit late...but why don`t you try a game with Dinamo Moscow?

Just started with them myself. They have a lot of money (currently over £50M on my save) and a chairman that will settle for european qualification spot the first season. I got £30M to spend on transfers and £1.2M on wages. They have some good youngsters in the squad and a lot of quality players like Igor Denisov, Christopher Samba, Balázs Dzsudzsák and Kevin Kurányi. And two goalkeepers that are on the russian nationalside.

The club will also be moving into a brand new 33 000-seater stadium in 2016. The league rules in Russia also make it more challenging with only allowed to have 7 non-russian players on the pitch at same time. A good reason to develop/buy russian talents.

Division: top in their country

Other: looking for a team with decent budget and yet lots of "oldies"

I intend to revamp the whole squad.

Try Werder Bremen. You could sell three of their highest rated players for more than $50 mil. and then build a squad of your liking.

Nation: Anywhere in Europe ather than France and Italy

Division: Any

Wage Budget: Not important

Other: Just looking for an interesting save really in an interesting league.

Nation: Anywhere in Europe ather than France and Italy

Division: Any

Wage Budget: Not important

Other: Just looking for an interesting save really in an interesting league.

Gladbach in the German first division will give you an interesting challenge. Not a big transfer budget around 2M euros. Have several good youngsters coming through and a few ageing players on big wages. In what is a very challenging league try to topple the dominance of Dortmund and Bayern...

Nation: Anywhere except England or Spain

Division: Not fussed

European Competition: Not fussed

Media Prediction: Not fussed

Board Expectation(s): Not fussed

Transfer Budget: As much as possible

Wage Budget: As much as possible

Finances: Good. Manageable debt is fine.

Other: Ok so i am not entirely fussed about where i go, as long as they have money to invest as i am looking for a club which i can really put my own stamp on.

Nation: Anywhere except England or Spain

Division: Not fussed

European Competition: Not fussed

Media Prediction: Not fussed

Board Expectation(s): Not fussed

Transfer Budget: As much as possible

Wage Budget: As much as possible

Finances: Good. Manageable debt is fine.

Other: Ok so i am not entirely fussed about where i go, as long as they have money to invest as i am looking for a club which i can really put my own stamp on.

Look at Monaco I'd say, lots of money but still only just promoted so you have tons of room to grow it in. And hey! Falcao is always a plus.

Fancy a go as Hajduk Split.

Normally load up the top divisions in Europe when playing as an English team and end up with about 50,000 players which my laptop handles pretty well.

Anyone got any advice which leagues would be good to load as Hajduk of Croatia?

Also, would you recommend setting nationality as Croat or could I just have English with Croat as second nationality?

Fancy a go as Hajduk Split.

Normally load up the top divisions in Europe when playing as an English team and end up with about 50,000 players which my laptop handles pretty well.

Anyone got any advice which leagues would be good to load as Hajduk of Croatia?

Also, would you recommend setting nationality as Croat or could I just have English with Croat as second nationality?

Im pretty sure that if you just set it as your second nationality that will be fine. When I start games in Eastern Europe Id normally load Serbia, Ukraine and Russia up as well as the other major European Leagues.

Nation: England

Division: Championship

European Competition:

Media Prediction:

Board Expectation(s): Playoff's or Promotion

Transfer Budget: Very preferably above £5 million

Wage Budget: Preferably pretty big

Finances: Same as above

Other: Should be able to pick up some big names from the start. (As in "Big names in the championship")

Nation: England

Division: Championship

European Competition:

Media Prediction:

Board Expectation(s): Playoff's or Promotion

Transfer Budget: Very preferably above £5 million

Wage Budget: Preferably pretty big

Finances: Same as above

Other: Should be able to pick up some big names from the start. (As in "Big names in the championship")

Brighton. Great stadium, decent squad, very possible to get promotion first season. After promotion i was handed 20M to spend.

Nation: Any except England

Division: Premier

European Competition:

Media Prediction: Relegation Candidates

Board Expectation(s): Survival

Transfer Budget:

Wage Budget: ~50-100k (Good enough to get a few freebies in)

Nation: England, France, Germany, Italy

Division: Top Division

European Competition: Have quality to push for Europe in 1st season

Media Prediction: Don't care

Board Expectation(s): Don't care

Transfer Budget: Good amount of money to get players

Wage Budget: Don't care

Finances: Don't care

Other: Not Southampton, Everton.

Nation: England, France, Germany, Italy

Division: Top Division

European Competition: Have quality to push for Europe in 1st season

Media Prediction: Don't care

Board Expectation(s): Don't care

Transfer Budget: Good amount of money to get players

Wage Budget: Don't care

Finances: Don't care

Other: Not Southampton, Everton.

Wolfsberg (Germany), Roma, Inter (Italy)!!

Nation: Any in Europe outside of the UK.

Division: Top division preferably.

European Competition: No

Media Prediction: Don't mind.

Board Expectation(s): Anything below Continental Qualification.

Transfer Budget: I don't really mind, but I prefer to have to scout for bargains.

Wage Budget: I don't mind.

Finances: Ideally a club that is a bit hard up, or at least not rich.

I'm basically looking for a club that is mid-table with either a bit of potential or that needs an overhaul; a club that could be aiming for Europe after 2 or 3 seasons. Ideally the club I'm after would meet one of the following criteria:

a) A weak First Team, but some good youths.

b) An aging First Team with few prospects.

c) A club in financial difficulty.

As an example I had a really enjoyable FM13 save with Aston Villa but I'm after something a little different than the UK this time though.

I'm very keen to start this save tonight - does anybody know what the expectations for first season are here? Push for promotion or happy to be mid-table? Still trying to get used to 14.2 so can't really guarantee promotion Season 1.

Nation: Any. UK would hold less weight than others.

Division: Top division preferably but would go lower.

European Competition: Europa league or equivalent at most

Media Prediction: Don't mind

Board Expectation(s): Continental Qualification and below

Transfer Budget: no preference

Wage Budget: no preference

Finances: maybe tight

Looking for a fallen giant, team with long wait for a league title or a team with potential to be a big force in there country. I guess Aston Villa would be the Premiership equivalent.

Transfer Budget: I don't really mind, but I prefer to have to scout for bargains.

I'm basically looking for a club that is mid-table with either a bit of potential or that needs an overhaul; a club that could be aiming for Europe after 2 or 3 seasons. Ideally the club I'm after would meet one of the following criteria:

a) A weak First Team, but some good youths.

b) An aging First Team with few prospects.

c) A club in financial difficulty.

As an example I had a really enjoyable FM13 save with Aston Villa but I'm after something a little different than the UK this time though.

How about Montpellier or Toulouse in France? You have a few good young players in each first team, and no European competition. There are many young French players that can be acquired or loaned in, but Ligue 1 has a reputation that can allow you to bring in cheap youngsters from places like Holland/Belgium too. You also have the luxury of the ACP/Cotonou agreement, allowing you to sign cheap/free Africans with no WP problems.

Belgian, Dutch, Portuguese and Spanish clubs might also be worth a look - although there isn't so much there outside of European competition.

Club: Achilles '29

Division: Dutch 1st division

Transfer Budget: 0

Wage Budget: 500k euro

Finances: You will make around a 180k a month probably for the first year. Balance when you start is probably 500k.

Board Expectation(s): Don't get relegated

Key Players: All your players are amateurs, you have to sign a whole squad. Levi Raja Boean is a beast though up to low-Eredivisie standards.

Pros:

-Challenging

-unique (this team is the first amateur team to get promoted to Dutch 1st div. now the rules have changed.)

-you can build your own club from the ground up.

-you will make a huge profitt the first 2 years because TV rights > your wage costs by far. Huge meaning around 180k Euro's a month 1st season which is loads for a team like this.

-regens will all be from the town Achilles is from (Groesbeek) at least the first few years.

Cons:

-very low status, players often don't want to join

-you might lose a lot the first 2 seasons, I only got promoted after 4 seasons.

-small stadium (4k), bad training/youth facilities

-most players aren't good enough (you are the worst team in the league at the start), you have to get a lot of free transfers in, that said there are tons of clubless Dutch players. I recommend Osama Rashid and Gino Pieters (if he is free, he becomes a beast for this level up to low Eredivisie level.)

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult):

I would say 7+.

Seriously this challenge is unique and I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for this, kazm. I had not heard of Achilles '29 before this and it is a unique challenge. thus far (6 games in) am mid-table having signed 18 free transfers and only missed on a couple of players I wanted. I have not had problems signing the players as most weren't wanted by anyone else. The board doesn't seem to mind that I am 28% over my salary budget, since we are making $200K-250K per month or paying the occasional agent fee despite no transfer budget. My favorite signing has been 40 yo Eric van de Merwe who has terrible physical, great technical skills but according to his history hadn't played a competitive game this century

Parma? Got quite a few ageing players & have a ridiculous amount of players at the club something like 161 players most out on loan or co-ownership deals, once they come back the wage budget takes a heavy hit so is in need of a massive overhaul and could aim to bring back the glory days at Parma lol.

Thanks Jogo and Lennon for your suggestions.

Since writing my post, my laptop has packed up and gone back to Acer for repair. Naturally, now that I can't play FM I'm itching to get back to playing my ongoing Argyle save (:rolleyes:), so I'll see you back in the Sky Bet Leagues thread soon Jogo!

May not be the right part of the forums to ask, but here goes anyway.

I've been playing a journeyman game on FM14 - spent a few months in Israel and then Holland without success, took on a role in Denmark where I won my first trophy, the board slashed the budgets and wage bill, so I walked and got offered the Lille job, which I took. However, in less than a season it all went very sour and I got sacked ! Gutted, but not surprised given my performance.

So, on to the advice - I have 2 job offers on the table as follows:

CFR Cluj in Romania - a £975k transfer budget, a wage budget of £85K, predicted to finish 3rd, club valued at £4.8m - club 7th in league with a handful of games left to play, so budgets will no doubt get reviewed for next season and there are a few transfers in already lined up.

Metalist Kharkiv in Ukraine - transfer budget £7m, wage budget £325k, predicted to finish 3rd, club value £36m - I ran game on a bit from the Cluj offer, so this is at the end of the season, so these budgets will be for the next season. No transfers lined up.

Kharkiv are clearly the bigger club, both reputationally and financially, but they have a much smaller squad than Cluj and have 10 foreign players in a league where you an only name 7 in your match day squad - any player who is not Ukrainian is considered foreign. There seem to be fewer constraints in Romania and for this reason I'm leaning toward Cluj. The chances of success seem similar with either club - although the chances of actually overhauling Shaktar seems unlikely - again, here I'm leaning toward Cluj.

Your views would be much appreciated thanks

Shrimper, I don't do journeyman saves but if it was me, I would go for Cluj. You can pick up a whole team for £975k, not that you probably need to. Your recruits can be from a much wider talent pool, and you have a genuine chance of winning the title. As a matter of interest, which team in Israel did you manage and how did you find it?

Shrimper, I don't do journeyman saves but if it was me, I would go for Cluj. You can pick up a whole team for £975k, not that you probably need to. Your recruits can be from a much wider talent pool, and you have a genuine chance of winning the title. As a matter of interest, which team in Israel did you manage and how did you find it?

I was Maccabi Herzliya - only there a short while and quite tough.

Cluj looks like the one...

I had a short time at Beitar Jerusalem (a festive special), and enjoyed the league and players available there. But the more I found out about the club in reality, the more uncomfortable I found it to be managing them. I'm definitely going to take on either Maccabi Tel Aviv or Maccabi Haifa in the near future though.

Back on topic, wait and see if you get some other comments, I don't want to be solely responsible if it doesn't work out at Cluj :lol:

Back on topic, wait and see if you get some other comments, I don't want to be solely responsible if it doesn't work out at Cluj :lol:

JB - have a thread under PC / General as well on the same subject - opinion pretty split there based upon size of club and level of challenge based upon foreign restrictions etc. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Cluj...I won't come back and blame you if it all goes wrong ! :eek:

Cluj from me too. I dislike league constraints/rules/registrations that why I find the Bundesliga the best to manage in. Cluj sounds a good challenge, but seeing as I'm all about youth prospects from the clubs nationality I'd be looking at the Romanian pool of newgens vs the Ukrainian one. However I'm sure Shakhtar would have the best Ukrainain ones on their books already.

Nation:Spain, Germany or Italy

Division: Doesn't matter, but not too low

European Competition: Doesn't matter

Media Prediction: Doesn't matter

Board Expectation(s): Doesn't matter

Transfer Budget: Doesn't matter

Wage Budget: Doesn't matter

Finances: Doesn't matter

Other:It needs to have something interesting about them. Interesting background or origin story, it could be a giant fallen a long way down. Anything, how to say, unique about them. I know it's weird, but this is a quirk of mine, i cannot play with boring or ordinary team, i lose interest very quickly. Teams i managed before: San Marino, FC United of Manchester, Leeds, Real Oviedo. Anyone who can recommend me a team i can be interesting in managing, i would be grateful to.

P.S. Sorry for any misspells and grammar errors, english is not my first language.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

As mentioned already on this page I'd say RB Leipzig would be a good bet for you Dokara. Brand new club in lower divs of Germany but backed by Red Bull. Good facilities. If not you could go for one of the high div plastic clubs like Hoffenheim/Wolfsburg. Or try and win some silverware with Leverkusen (Neverkusen).

Other:It needs to have something interesting about them. Interesting background or origin story, it could be a giant fallen a long way down. Anything, how to say, unique about them. I know it's weird, but this is a quirk of mine, i cannot play with boring or ordinary team, i lose interest very quickly. Teams i managed before: San Marino, FC United of Manchester, Leeds, Real Oviedo. Anyone who can recommend me a team i can be interesting in managing, i would be grateful to.

P.S. Sorry for any misspells and grammar errors, english is not my first language.

I think Dynamo Dresden suits your needs perfectly, there is the thread about them in this very same subforum I started (therefore I'm recommending them in the first place :) ) although it has been pretty inactive recently as I'm waiting for the final patch to start a proper save.

Play with FC St. Pauli (Punks, prostitutes and socialism) Amazing club.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/08/18/football.st.pauli.punks/

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/video/2011/mar/16/st-pauli-socialist-football-hamburg-video

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_St._Pauli

Or F.C. Pro Vercelli 1892 (the original Italian super power)

http://www.thefootballramble.com/dwhof/entrant/fc-pro-vercelli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._Pro_Vercelli_1892

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_F.C._Pro_Vercelli_1892

Thank you guys, great suggestions. I'm divided between St. Pauli and Dresden, already played with Pro Vercelli (started two times, got fired on both occasions, first time in Serie B, second after failing to qualify for CL after playing in final year before). Wanted to go to Germany for a while, since FM 2012 i haven't managed team from that country. And Leipzig, too many people already play with them...

I've just had the unpleasant experience of being sacked and feel like I need to start a new game soon and freshen it up.

I realise this thread is usually used to set criteria for a club and then people make relevant suggestions but there's a few clubs I'm thinking of starting with and just can't decide which.

So, can someone stick these names in a hat and pull one out for me? ;)

Atletico Madrid, Southampton, Juventus, Tottenham.

Archived