Sports Interactive Community
Matthew Le God

FM14: Southampton F.C. - Gatecrashing the top table

Just finished pre-season, went pretty well, a number of the younger players impressed me, so much so I have promoted 4 of them into the 1st team! (Josh Sims, Harrison Reed, Jake Sinclair & Matthew Targett).

Team has gelled well into the style I want to play, high pressing possession football. Managed to get 15m off the board for transfers a week into pre-season to strengthen the squad. Signed Balanta for 7m & Baird on a free (versatile cover/tutoring). Looking into bringing in Timo Horn from Koln as well as in need of a new GK (3.8m release clause).

My squad for the start of the season is as follows....

GK - Boruc/Gazzaniga

RB - Clyne/Chambers

RCB - Lovren/Baird

LCB - Balanta/Fonte

LB - Shaw/Targett

DM - Wanyama/Cork/Baird

RCM - Schneiderlin/Reed

LCM - Ward-Prowse/Davis

AMR - Lallana/Sims

AML - Rodriguez/Sinclair

ST - Lambert/Ramirez (retraining as a striker)

Set myself the same goals on this save as my last one:-

Play attractive attacking football (ties in with clubs philosophies).

Try to promote at least 2 youth players per season.

Have a squad made up of at least 70% home grown players inside 3 years.

Win the Champions league with no fewer than 8 players in the match day squad from own academy.

Expand our scouting knowledge throughout the world.

Win the Prem.

Have an academy prospect win world player of the year.

May also add a few others the further I get into the save.

I decided to start a new save with Southampton a few weeks ago. I liked the look of the team and how they give youth a chance while having a mainly English core.

First season I finished 3rd and qualified for the CL. I was sadly drawn in a group including PSG and Bayern. Finished 3rd in that group only missing out by 1 point but went on to win the Europa along with the League Cup in my second season. Also got to the FA Cup final but lost to Man City. The cup runs came with a price and as we suffered a lot of injuries I only finished 5th in the league, missing out on the CL. Shaw and Lallana missed nearly half of the season each with bad injuries.

On to the third season. I am currently sitting top of the table and playing the best football since I took over thanks to some of the excellent guides in the tactics forum. I'm focusing more on the league rather than cup runs but still in the League Cup semis and got through the Europa group stage comfortably despite mainly playing my fringe players and youngsters.

Here is how my squad looks:

fm2014-03-0719-51-08-10_zps9c7c2e1a.png

And the table:

fm2014-03-0719-55-40-62_zpsb76c6991.png

Not much has changed since I took over. I have mainly invested in youth and picked up a few very highly rated regens, along with getting the highest quality coaches and scouting team which should see me right for the next few years.

Mitrovic has finally come into his own this season. He scored 22 in 41 apps throughout season 2 but he already has 21 in 23 this season.

JWP has been fantastic too despite him becoming unsettled after interest from Liverpool. I mad him the promise that we will qualify for the CL which is looking pretty good at this point.

Real Madrid have got into the habit of unsettling my players too. Nkoulou is unhappy about me rejecting a bid from them and now they have made an offer of £42m for Schneiderlin.

Is it worth selling him for that massive amount? He is my only DLP that I have in my squad. I have Gomis, a French regen rated 5 stars, but he is not ready for first team football yet. JWP could drop into that role and Will Hughes could come in at AP.

I decided to start a new save with Southampton a few weeks ago. I liked the look of the team and how they give youth a chance while having a mainly English core.

First season I finished 3rd and qualified for the CL. I was sadly drawn in a group including PSG and Bayern. Finished 3rd in that group only missing out by 1 point but went on to win the Europa along with the League Cup in my second season. Also got to the FA Cup final but lost to Man City. The cup runs came with a price and as we suffered a lot of injuries I only finished 5th in the league, missing out on the CL. Shaw and Lallana missed nearly half of the season each with bad injuries.

On to the third season. I am currently sitting top of the table and playing the best football since I took over thanks to some of the excellent guides in the tactics forum. I'm focusing more on the league rather than cup runs but still in the League Cup semis and got through the Europa group stage comfortably despite mainly playing my fringe players and youngsters.

Here is how my squad looks:

fm2014-03-0719-51-08-10_zps9c7c2e1a.png

And the table:

fm2014-03-0719-55-40-62_zpsb76c6991.png

Not much has changed since I took over. I have mainly invested in youth and picked up a few very highly rated regens, along with getting the highest quality coaches and scouting team which should see me right for the next few years.

Mitrovic has finally come into his own this season. He scored 22 in 41 apps throughout season 2 but he already has 21 in 23 this season.

JWP has been fantastic too despite him becoming unsettled after interest from Liverpool. I mad him the promise that we will qualify for the CL which is looking pretty good at this point.

Real Madrid have got into the habit of unsettling my players too. Nkoulou is unhappy about me rejecting a bid from them and now they have made an offer of £42m for Schneiderlin.

Is it worth selling him for that massive amount? He is my only DLP that I have in my squad. I have Gomis, a French regen rated 5 stars, but he is not ready for first team football yet. JWP could drop into that role and Will Hughes could come in at AP.

How did you get those shirts to look like that on the tactics screen?

How did you get those kits to look like that on the tactics screen?

Not really sure tbh. I'm using the default skin with SS'14 kits and LFCMarshall's update.

Who should i bring to tutor Luke Shaw on latest patch? I need to get his determination up!

I wanted Lovren to tutor him but Luke wasnt on list..

Kind of a dead thread but if anyone's starting or is in need of a tactic get this one

http://gyazo.com/845b8a5e3ec165689199fdf86664b8d2

Top of the league after 10 games with 8-2-0 record and 21-7 goals for/against.

Tell your team to drop deeper instead of having the high defensive line against pacey forwards or world-class strikers. Mind you, I've only beaten teams that are expected to be in the lower half of the table but I just beat City 1-0 and drew 4-4 at Goodison. Everton are tied with me at the top btw. My christmas period is Liverpool (A), Arsenal (A), Newcastle (H) and Man Utd (H) and i'll update after it just for confirmation if this tactic actually works in the long run against big teams.

The two strikers are my main threat and they score every game. Tight defense means almost no goal scoring opportunities for the opposing side and the counter is deadly with the pace of the Sot'on side.

Kind of a dead thread but if anyone's starting or is in need of a tactic get this one

http://gyazo.com/845b8a5e3ec165689199fdf86664b8d2

Top of the league after 10 games with 8-2-0 record and 21-7 goals for/against.

Tell your team to drop deeper instead of having the high defensive line against pacey forwards or world-class strikers. Mind you, I've only beaten teams that are expected to be in the lower half of the table but I just beat City 1-0 and drew 4-4 at Goodison. Everton are tied with me at the top btw. My christmas period is Liverpool (A), Arsenal (A), Newcastle (H) and Man Utd (H) and i'll update after it just for confirmation if this tactic actually works in the long run against big teams.

The two strikers are my main threat and they score every game. Tight defense means almost no goal scoring opportunities for the opposing side and the counter is deadly with the pace of the Sot'on side.

Only thing with that formation is where do you play Lallana? CM (A)? As I take it Rodriguez and Lambert are up front. Then where do JWP, Wanyama and Schneiderlin come in? I think it's because I like to play the way they play in real life with them.

Only thing with that formation is where do you play Lallana? CM (A)? As I take it Rodriguez and Lambert are up front. Then where do JWP, Wanyama and Schneiderlin come in? I think it's because I like to play the way they play in real life with them.

The thing is, I tried their IRL style but it didn't work so I started again and tried this one and it's amazing. I got Wanyama as the DM/RGA, Schneiderlin as the CM/D and JWP as the CM/A. I don't like the AMC role in this game and IMO, Southampton are short for wingers so I didn't want to do something just because they had 1-2 good IRL. This tactic ensures defensive capabilities against any team I meet domestically and Southampton are so good on the counter so it works!

The full backs get the ball and bang forward. Either JWP or them find a cross or a through ball and the strikers score most of the time.

I won the league first season with a 3-5-2 formation with Spiderman as regista, Wanyama CM(d) and Lallana CM(a), the formation works very good countering the much used 4-2-3-1 formation in the PL, and congest the space in front of the box making the flanks the only available space to watch out.

However the formation is best defending, and I found it difficult to control matches in which I should be the better team.

I won the league first season with a 3-5-2 formation with Spiderman as regista, Wanyama CM(d) and Lallana CM(a), the formation works very good countering the much used 4-2-3-1 formation in the PL, and congest the space in front of the box making the flanks the only available space to watch out.

However the formation is best defending, and I found it difficult to control matches in which I should be the better team.

Yea it's your tactic I found here I'm using. I just thought you had quit the thread so sorry for not giving you credit for it mate! (Kinda forgot your name as well :D) But when I'm expected to win I switch to my 4-2-3-1 tactic with 3 AMC's and put Lallana, JWP and Gaston behind Jay Rod and I score goals that way. I'm not in-game atm so can't link the tactic but I think I found it in this thread too.

But I really like the tactic against better/same opposition because they just can't find a way through that defense. And I say it again, the counter attack potential in this team is insane so scoring goals is easy enough against any opposition. I put 5 past Fulham for example. When I meet a team that plays defensive I sometimes use the tactic and change the philosophy to control or attacking and that gets me like 2-3 goals against the likes of Stoke. The magic of this tactic is, you don't get many chances, but when you do, you score almost every time. With a clinical finisher up top (Jay Rod), two wing backs that can use their pace and cross the ball (Shaw, Clyne) and a rock solid defense, this can't go wrong.

Hi guys, i brought Wanyama to my Valencia side in the third season, and although he has no EU citizenship, he doesn't count as a non-eu player?!

any ideas why? he is from Kenya, what makes him a Non-EU in Spain?

Hi guys, i brought Wanyama to my Valencia side in the third season, and although he has no EU citizenship, he doesn't count as a non-eu player?!

any ideas why? he is from Kenya, what makes him a Non-EU in Spain?

It's part of the Cotonou agreement where most of the African nations don't count as foreign in Spain.

Go to your league table then rules and at the bottom it says "Nations treated as EU" Then click on the Cotonou thingy.

Ok, I'm going to implement a tactic with wingers for next season but I'm stuck on what I should go for. I'm looking to bring in Lacazette and either the winger pair from Ukraine Konyoplanka and Yarmolenko or the PSV wingers Bakkali and Depay. Does anyone have any experience with playing Southampton with wingers and can suggest some tactics? And if someone has experience with these pairs of wingers, please let me know how to get the best out of them! :D

I used Lallana and Rodriguez as my right wingers and Ramirez and A. Ayew as my left wingers. It worked out really well and I ended up winning the league in my third season.

fm2014-03-2408-21-07-57_zps802444b5.png

I still use it from time to time, mainly at home, when the opponents are playing narrow against me but it is not my main tactic any more. When it worked it was great but teams started adapting so I was forced to make changes for my 4th season.

Came 4th in my first season, 1st and 2nd the entire season until the very last day. At peak I had a 12 point gap over 3rd when I was in second but had a terrible run in.

Only signings were;

Ashley Williams

Diego Poyet

Will Hughes

Bobby Ward

Lambert finished on 17 goals and Ward-Prowse smashed the young players player votes.

For CL football I have now brought in.

Mark Noble

Samuel Umtiti

Tom Ince

Stefen Jovetic

Started a save with Southampton, first time I have done so, always normally Tottenham (my team) but decided to give Southampton a crack and I am really enjoying it!!

Transfers IN:

Balanta

Jonathan Silva (LB)

Nilson (Danish LW prospect)

Le Fondre (always scores against me!!)

Season started off great beat Utd @ home 4-2. Have since lost to Everton 3-2 at GP and 3-0 away to Stoke however have beaten Norwich 3-0 and Cardiff 1-0 at home so mixed bag ATM!!

How did you get funds? I started as Saints the other night and couldn't get a budget for love nor money!

Started yet another game with Southampton in the aim of trying to get them to play in a similar way that Pochettino has them set-up in real life. Well I think I've finally achieved it and the season has actually panned out better than I ever could have expected.

The formation below is how I have the team lining up.

vexs.png

It is an absolutely joy to watch due to the interchanging of the front four, the amount of clear cut chances that I've been creating has been fantastic. I've also managed to get Lallana playing as I've struggled to get anything out of him prior to this formation.

Here's the league table so far.

j0cq.png

I signed Balanta at the start of the season and have brought in Quagliarella on loan as a backup to Lambert. Also signed Aaron Creswell from Ipswich as backup to Shaw.

Begrudgingly sold Schneiderlin to Real Madrid as well as I needed some money in January to improve facilities and bring in better coaching staff. (So I've retrained Ward-Prowse as a dm and he is going to be my Regista, needs to improve his positioning though)

zhly.png

kvsz.png

yb8m.png

On the new patch Lallana has different stats to yours and is natural at RW. Have you altered some of the players positions etc? Rodriguez is also natural at LW but on yours he's RW. I know you could of trained him but as you're using 3 CAM's I realised that wouldn't make sense so I thought i'd ask.

How did you get funds? I started as Saints the other night and couldn't get a budget for love nor money!

I also asked for it. If I want to sign players at the start of a save I also find it really helps changing the philosophies of the club to sign big names and then ask for money for key signings!

On the new patch Lallana has different stats to yours and is natural at RW. Have you altered some of the players positions etc? Rodriguez is also natural at LW but on yours he's RW. I know you could of trained him but as you're using 3 CAM's I realised that wouldn't make sense so I thought i'd ask.

I've been using an edited database which would explain why. :)

I finished 2nd in my First season. United won it. Made the league cup final but lost to United and got knocked out in the FA Cup away to arsenal.

Signed Balanta and got Ocampos in on loan and in Jan got Quagliarella in on loan as a back up False 9 to Lambert.

Scored the most goals in the league but also conceded like 50. Lambert finished with 20 goals. Rodriquez finished with like 21 and Ramirez scored around 17 got the most assists in the league and got the young player of the year award.

Got 30 mill for next season so hopefully I can get in enough players to try and win it.

I could have won it this year but had like 2 wins from my last 9 league games. Had a really poor run in. My man management needs some work.

I finished 2nd in my First season. United won it. Made the league cup final but lost to United and got knocked out in the FA Cup away to arsenal.

Signed Balanta and got Ocampos in on loan and in Jan got Quagliarella in on loan as a back up False 9 to Lambert.

Scored the most goals in the league but also conceded like 50. Lambert finished with 20 goals. Rodriquez finished with like 21 and Ramirez scored around 17 got the most assists in the league and got the young player of the year award.

Got 30 mill for next season so hopefully I can get in enough players to try and win it.

I could have won it this year but had like 2 wins from my last 9 league games. Had a really poor run in. My man management needs some work.

Which system did you use?

How good are you finding Rodriguez on the latest patch? He still looks underrated to me, which is a shame.

Which system did you use?

I used a rigid 4-2-3-1 with the counter strategy but it was set up to press high and playing short passing possession football.

How good are you finding Rodriguez on the latest patch? He still looks underrated to me, which is a shame.

In my first season as an inside forward attack on the left he played 42 in all comps scored 22 and got 10 assists. In the league he played 37 scored 17 and got 8 assists.

In my first season as an inside forward attack on the left he played 42 in all comps scored 22 and got 10 assists. In the league he played 37 scored 17 and got 8 assists.

Woah, that's way better than I was expecting. Thanks for the info! What kind of system are you using overall?

**EDIT - ignore that, just saw your post a couple up answering exactly the same Q from someone else.

Going for a English assault!!! Sold Schneiderlin,Cork and Davis and signed R. Morrison, Hughes and Diame . Also sold Gazzinaga and Fonte and signed Wickham. First game away to Man City lost 2-0 however have just beaten Liverpool 2-1 and MK Dons in League Cup

3-2 (AET) Looking positive and a strong change of 8+ English in the starting line up

Anyone having injury problems with Lallana, I am half way though season oneand he is always injured either in training or a match(he's only played 4).I have not altered any training from the default

Amazing 3 seasons with this club. Firts time i train this club in FM.

Would like to thank Mister Vodu, FM tatic genius.

http://prntscr.com/3bfgzf

http://prntscr.com/3bfh9y

http://prntscr.com/3bfhh2

http://prntscr.com/3blylh

1st season won premier but strange, United lost like 6 matches in the last 10.

3 seasons, Premier champion 3 times, European champion 2014/2015, 2015/2016. Best world club, and top 5 finances.

This 4th season sold almost all my best players (200M €) Diego Costa, Coutinho, Ayew, Criscito, etc.

Still good team.

After many aptents, Vodu get a good tactic in this strange ME. Thanx VODU.

Cheers

Just started a new save with the Saints.

Transfers In:

Ryan Gauld £4.6M

Miguel Veloso £7.75M (Jan)

K Richardson (Loan Jan)

Transfers Out:

do Prado £325k

Fonte £100k (Jan)

League:

Finished 2nd in the league behind Man Utd

FA Cup:

3rd Rd lost 5-0 to Huddersfield after fielding mostly youth players

League Cup:

3rd Round lost 3-0 to Newcastle again my trust in youth failed

Rickie Lambert finished top scorer in the league with 27 goals.

Lallana won Footballer of the Year

Need strenght in dept for next season to deal with fixture congestion next season

I had a bit of a shocker in our first season, really struggling to find any balance but pulled away from any serious relegation danger after January with the loan signings of Salvio and Holtby who suited us much better. Ever since, we've been on an unstoppable incline.

We finished second in 14/15 with 86 points, just edged out by Chelsea on 87 but then gained our revenge the year after with a comfortable title win, despite only totalling 83 points for the season. A title defence didn't look on the cards in 16/17 after a poor start, probably down to my own naive tactics, as we were despatched by all the big guns and ended up 13 points off the summit over Christmas. Slowly but surely we began to creep back into it but when the chance to take top spot from City appeared, we bottled it with a brutal 4-0 defeat at Reading, who'd beaten all my rivals at home that season. I thought that was game over, Chelsea took top spot but then choked themselves and we managed to grab top spot on the penultimate day and defended it with a 7-1 spanking of Barnsley on the final day, giving us 84 points.

Alongside the title defence, we somehow managed to win the Champions League, toppling BVB, Real, Barca then City in the final. Christ knows how, as we were thumped in the final but miraculously triumphed 1-0.

I've managed to conduct some stellar transfer dealings along the way and our squad now looks like:

Igor Akinfeev, Regen

Callum Chambers, Nathaniel Clyne, Ryan Shawcross, Doria, Eder Balanta, Tiago Ilori, Luke Shaw, Ben Davies

Victor Wanyama, Morgan Schneiderlein, James Ward-Prowse, Nathaniel Chalobah, Jack Cork

Gabriel Barbosa, Georginio Wijnaldum, Ross Barkley, Oliver Torres, Bernard

Sergio Aguero, Wilfried Bony, Jay Rodriguez

A net spend of around £45m there.

Aguero - £24m after City finished fifth in the thirs season. On a huge bonus related contract, but he's my favourite player so had to be done.

Barkley - £20m at the start of season three. God. Absolute machine in behind the striker.

Chalobah - £20m. Trying to sign the best British talent possible and I'd been tracking him for a long time. Finally became affordable just before the start of season five.

Bernard - £20m. Signed in January of season three and really helped us across the line. Struggled to make him effective last season but improved at the end.

Bony - £12m. Swansea were relegated and I needed somebody to compete with J-Rod in season three. Always a threat and brings goals and assists. Now second choice behind Serge

Shawcross- Singed in the first summer for £8m. Absolute rock and our captain.

Doria & Balanta - Signed at the start of season two for £7.5m and £5.5m respectively. Doria the preferred choice to partner Ryan. Both worth £20m+

Departures:

Gaston Ramirez - £28m to Real. Could never get him going properly and the money was too good to turn down

Candreva - Signed on a free, two seasons with 15 goals in each but £12 was too good to turn away and I wanted to change the way we played

Taider - £15m to Valencia financed the Chalobah deal. Not much between them, but have chased Chalobah for a long time.

Lovren - £8m to Parma. Good player but just wasn't needed.

Victor Andrade - Signed for a pittance then Wolfsburg threw £8m in my face. Potential, but wasn't featuring enough and had a better prospect in Gabriel Barbosa

Sanchez Mino - £10m to PSV. Sold on the back of our Champions League victory. Reliable, versatile and good going forward, but silly money when I could pick up Ben Davies for £4m

Tom Ince - Signed for £3.5m. Never really broke through but had a couple of good loan spells elsewhere. Wanted £10m but took £8.5m from Reading.

I don't have a first choice XI as my centre mids change depending on my opposition. Morgan and Vic start against the big teams usually as they're better defensively, whilst I'm planning to use the English trio of Chalobah, Ward-Prowse and Barkley against the normal teams. Barkley starts every game though when he's fit. J-Rod is an absolute star at filling in across the frontline and always bags his fair share.

Quick question, has anyone had a problem with Luke Shaw's very low determination? I'm a big fan of the attribute, and Shaw is pretty much perfect, once developed, other than this one attribute.

Now this save is so easy because this team has the best facilities already. I remember playing with them in FM13 You should prolly get a new GK, though. Boruc is old :o

Well,still in first season as don't have much spare time lately but just won the carling cup 1-0 agansit Everton so Europa league to look forward to. My best 2 formations for me are 4-4-2 and 4-1-4-1 but will update at seasons end.

Hello guys!

I started playing as Southampton (again) especially after the january update, its even lot more fun!

Quick question(s):

A)I'm playing with 3 AMC's, and i really have trouble with getting the best out of Gaston Ramirez, what role should i best use him?

And the same question goes to his 2 other partners (Ward-Prowse & Lallana)

B)How good does the youngster Sam Gallagher really get?

will he ever be able to challenge for a first team role?

C)Which one is better for DR (potentially) Clyne or Chambers?

A) JRod LW (IFs) Ramirez (APs) Lallana RW (IFs) was my set up first season, it led me somehow to 2nd place. All 3 were amazing in their roles.

B) Gallagher hasn't threatened the first team just yet but he has been out on loan for the past 2 seasons. Currently in the Championship where I think he's found his level, he could be a decent backup in the Prem.

C) Both great, can't choose between them.

Gonna start a savegame with Southampton right as we speak, cant wait to get it rolling.

Anything i should be speciel aware of ? (havent played FM2014 for +6 months)

Edit : 0 $ transfer budget - ouch :(

Gonna start a savegame with Southampton right as we speak, cant wait to get it rolling.

Anything i should be speciel aware of ? (havent played FM2014 for +6 months)

Edit : 0 $ transfer budget - ouch :(

Ask the board for transfer budget, you can get around £15m straight away.

Just finished my 4th season with the Saints. haven't updated since season 1. Just a quick update here.

Season 1: PL 2nd

Season 2: PL 7th, FA Cup winners

Season 3: PL 7th, FA Cup Winners

Season 4: PL Winners

Delighted to win the league after 2 disappointing seasons. Sam Gallagher scored 32 league goals in 33 starts on the way to glory.

Rowe, Reed, Shaw, Chambers, Sims, Gallagher, Ward-Prowse and about 5 other academy players in the league winning squad with only notable signings Horn, Ginter, Alverez Balanta and Welbeck accompanying them

Did you alter the potential of the likes of Gallagher, Reed, Rowe etc?

If not could you post screenshots of them if possible mate?

Sorry if that came across as I didn't believe you mate, was more of a compliment. Brilliant results there with the kids already at the club. Do they all start in the first 11? If not who else is in your team?

Won the league and the Europa League in the second season. More interestingly though, the board announced plans to increase the capacity of St. Mary's by 16,000 seats to be completed in October 2016. In the mean time, I am ground sharing with Reading until the work is complete. And Coventry City fans thought they had it bad!!!!!!!!!!!'

Sorry if that came across as I didn't believe you mate, was more of a compliment. Brilliant results there with the kids already at the club. Do they all start in the first 11? If not who else is in your team?

Cheers, didn't take any offence by it knew what you meant.

My squad is pretty much this

GK: Horn, Regen

RB: Chamber, Clyne

LB: Shaw, Academy Regen

CB: Balanta, Ginter, Academy Regen, Academy Regen

CM: Schneiderlin, Powell

CM: Reed, McEachran

RW: Rowe, Lallana, Academy Regen

CAM: Ward-Prowse, Gauld

LW: Bernard, Rodriguez, Sims

ST. Gallagher, Welbeck, Seager, Academy Regen

Reed started about 30 games and Rowe about 20 or so. I didn't really expect it after finished 7th twice but gave them another year, tweaked the tactics and aimed to play for draws away against the big sides

I've just been appointed as Saints manager, after a rip-roaring nine year spell at Man Utd (I know!) where we won everything a lot, generated huge funds, maxed out the stadium capacity and created a first team squad comprising almost entirely of newgens (average age of just 23).

This, inevitably, became rather dull, so I elected to resign and rejected a host of advances from international and club sides. I had an eye on River Plate, but when Saints offered me a job with a staggering £240m transfer budget, it caught my eye :D That is in conjunction with a "respectable league finish" expectation :)

The squad basically contains Shaw, Schneiderlin and Rodriguez; no other originals. All were sold for significant sums (with Wanyama and Osvaldo peculiarly generating the largest fees), and in recent years, a succession of academy prospects have been sold for huge profit - which sounds somewhat close to real life!

I played as Saints extensively on FM13 and it was a successful save, and I hope to recapture the dizzy heights of last year. Based on the current shape of the squad, I've come up with a odd tactical twist to the Brazilian Box, and I've started signing players to fill slots in that tactical vision.

Nine years into the game, the transfer market contains rich pickings! Whilst at Man U, I was hoovering up kids at 16/17, and they became the core of our squad. In just an hour of scouring the market last night, I can see so many players that I missed, or who developed better than I expected. There are exceptional free transfers available, and some highly talented young players stagnating, and dissatisfied, in the Reserve Teams in top level clubs across Europe and South America.

This has the hallmarks of being just the save I needed to rescue me from a bit of FM boredom! I'll scan through this thread now to see how far along you lot have got, and the sort of level I need to aspire to reach.

Based on the current shape of the squad, I've come up with a odd tactical twist to the Brazilian Box, and I've started signing players to fill slots in that tactical vision.

Good luck with the save RTH. I remember your Saint's save from last year.

Any plans to share this tactical twist with us here (or in the Tactics Forum)? I'm actually in an Inter save, but am returning to a Box formation as it seems to have all the ingredients I like in a formation and I like to compare notes. Knowing your normal predilections, I'm going to say it's a Striker-less Box... :p