Sports Interactive Community
Matthew Le God

FM14: Southampton F.C. - Gatecrashing the top table

I think I'll start with Soton, they seem an interesting choice. Any things I should know before I start? Like umm what players to sell or idk. Anything.

In my Parma save 1st season Southampton got relegated finishing 20th, it's madness lol.

Would you upload it please? <3

Just finished season one in 7th playing a variety of tactics. Highlight of the season undoubtedly beating Arsenal 5-0 at St Mary's.

Sold Gaston for £20m to Bayern at the start of the season to finance deals for Balanta, Souttar, Erazo, Oviedo, Vietto, Gauld and Honda. Total transfer income £22.75m, and outgoings £25m.

My most effective player was Nathaniel Clyne, Lambert finished top goalscorer. Erazo was probably the most consistent, while Shaw came and went throughout the season.

Because of the prize money, Cortese gave me £22m transfer budget which has adjusted to allow me to sign Valdes on a free transfer. Looking for another goalscoring striker (possibly Mitrovic or Rhodes) and a combative centre midfielder.

Team of the year:

Boruc

Clyne Lovren Erazo Shaw

Wanyama Cork Honda

Lambert Rodriguez

Osvaldo (who chipped in with 12 for the season)

Would thoroughly recommend Mitrovic - Osvaldo was great for me in the first two seasons but won't push you to the next level. As for the CM, look at either Gaston Gil Romero or Lucas Romero, who are both very useful.

Transfer update:

OUT

Jack Cork (Stoke - £6m)

Jay Rodriguez (Stoke - £5m)

Emmanuel Mayuka (Anzhi - £2.4m)

Various loans & others released, notably Jos Hooiveld, Jose Fonte.

IN:

Victor Valdes (Unattached - Free)

Youri Tielemens (Anderlecht - £4.3m)

Aleksander Mitrovic (Anderlecht - £12m)

Scott Allan (Unattached - Free)

Jordi Clasie (Feyenoord - £8m)

Darren Fletcher (Unattached - Free)

About to set up new tactic for the coming season. Got good strength in depth in the midfield, with Honda, Clasie, Schneiderlin, Fletcher, Ward-Prowse and Wanyama; Tielemens and Allan have gone out on loan. Hoping for solid contributions from Osvaldo and Mitrovic this season. Lambert, despite being Premier League top scorer last season could find himself phased out in the next twelve months, possible a coaching role will await. Looks like Balanta and Lovren will be my starting two centre halves, Clyne and Shaw as each wing back. Valdes undoubtedly the No. 1 but he was injured in a pre-season friendly, so Boruc will hold his place for the moment.

I'm struggling with the narrow 3 AMC formation... I can't seem to make it work....... Frustrating. I usually favor a 4-2-3-1 with AML-AMC-AMR so I'm starting again trying with my usual formation.

I'm planning on using Lambert, Lallana and Gaston in the 3 AM positions, but can't figure out who to play where... I would prefer both the AML and AMR to be IF but only having one of them at IF is okay with me too...

OR i'll just Lambert up front, and Osvaldo at AML as an IF... So confusing...

Any tips guys?

AML: Lallana (IF)

AMC: Lambert (SS)

AMCR: Ramirez (AP/T)

With both backs bombing forward you'll maintain the width.

Ah thanks! I feel Lallana needs an upgrade in this game... He is average at best in the game no?

Just started a new season with Southampton. Choose them because of there quality young players,great stadium and facilities.

I got rid of everyone that was suggested in the write up except for the 2 loaned players. I netted a cool 3.8 million pounds(lol) but I got some salary space back. I set out to get Honda,Pepe and Balanta.

I also got bombarded with transfer requests for Schneiderlin. Now what I don't get is how some of these teams have the money to make a huge bid. If I start the year as them I never get that much. Man City,Chealsea and Barcelona all made bids starting at 18 million pounds. After a few days the bids went up as I refused them. I eventually had to accept a bid of 35 million pounds from Man City for him.

After that I had a large transfer budget and room on the wage bill. I signed Pepe for 1.8 million pounds and Balanta for 5 million pounds. I then made a bid for Michael Bradley and Roma accepted my 6 million pound bid. Honda though signed with AC Milan. I also was able to get Gaitan on Loan from Benfica.

I tried to get Mitrovic but he would not sign here. I am not sure what you guys did to get him. I was able to get a few youngsters for the future. I signed Dundee utd duo Gauld and Souttar and for a combined 6 million pounds and loaned them back to Dundee for the year. I also signed Gabriel Barbosa from Santos as one of my scouts rated him 5 stars. He cost me 1.3 million pounds and future sell on clause of 25 percent.

I tried to sign a few more younger players almost all of them did want to sign with Southampton. I still have a large amount of money in the transfer pool but will keep it there.

So far after 7 games we are sitting in 3rd with 4 wins 2 draws and 1 loss

I am playing a 4-1-2-2-1

Shaw - Lovren - Balanta - Clyne

Bradley

Wanyama WardProwse/Lambert

Raimez/Pepe Gaitan/Lallana

Osvaldo/Lambert

Pepe got hurt after the 2nd game and I started Ramirez there and he really excelled. Ward-Prowse got hurt after the 3rd game so I put Lambert there and he started to score. He has goals from the midfield in 4 straight games. Osvaldo only has 2 goals so far but he has 5 assists. Gaitan and Lallana are both averaging 7.15 games so far. The Defesne has been solid and we only give up 2 or 3 shots on target per game. Balanta on set pieces is a monster. He has scored 3 goals so far this season.

The backs are both set as cornerbacks. They are giving a lot of freedom to move up. Lovren is the stopper and Balanta is set as Defend. Bradley is set to Defensive Midfielder. Wanyama is set to support and deep laying playmaker. Ward-Prowse/Lambert is set Advanced playmaker and Attack. Gaitan/Lallan are set to Winger and Attack. Pepe/Ramirez are set to Inside Forward and Attack. Osvaldo/Lambert are set to Poacher and Attack

Overall I have my tactics set to Control and Very fluid. I have found this leads to us with a large amount of shots and chances per game and giving up a few shots and quality chances.

Just started a new season with Southampton. Choose them because of there quality young players,great stadium and facilities.

I got rid of everyone that was suggested in the write up except for the 2 loaned players. I netted a cool 3.8 million pounds(lol) but I got some salary space back. I set out to get Honda,Pepe and Balanta.

I also got bombarded with transfer requests for Schneiderlin. Now what I don't get is how some of these teams have the money to make a huge bid. If I start the year as them I never get that much. Man City,Chealsea and Barcelona all made bids starting at 18 million pounds. After a few days the bids went up as I refused them. I eventually had to accept a bid of 35 million pounds from Man City for him.

After that I had a large transfer budget and room on the wage bill. I signed Pepe for 1.8 million pounds and Balanta for 5 million pounds. I then made a bid for Michael Bradley and Roma accepted my 6 million pound bid. Honda though signed with AC Milan. I also was able to get Gaitan on Loan from Benfica.

I tried to get Mitrovic but he would not sign here. I am not sure what you guys did to get him. I was able to get a few youngsters for the future. I signed Dundee utd duo Gauld and Souttar and for a combined 6 million pounds and loaned them back to Dundee for the year. I also signed Gabriel Barbosa from Santos as one of my scouts rated him 5 stars. He cost me 1.3 million pounds and future sell on clause of 25 percent.

I tried to sign a few more younger players almost all of them did want to sign with Southampton. I still have a large amount of money in the transfer pool but will keep it there.

So far after 7 games we are sitting in 3rd with 4 wins 2 draws and 1 loss

I am playing a 4-1-2-2-1

Shaw - Lovren - Balanta - Clyne

Bradley

Wanyama WardProwse/Lambert

Raimez/Pepe Gaitan/Lallana

Osvaldo/Lambert

Pepe got hurt after the 2nd game and I started Ramirez there and he really excelled. Ward-Prowse got hurt after the 3rd game so I put Lambert there and he started to score. He has goals from the midfield in 4 straight games. Osvaldo only has 2 goals so far but he has 5 assists. Gaitan and Lallana are both averaging 7.15 games so far. The Defesne has been solid and we only give up 2 or 3 shots on target per game. Balanta on set pieces is a monster. He has scored 3 goals so far this season.

The backs are both set as cornerbacks. They are giving a lot of freedom to move up. Lovren is the stopper and Balanta is set as Defend. Bradley is set to Defensive Midfielder. Wanyama is set to support and deep laying playmaker. Ward-Prowse/Lambert is set Advanced playmaker and Attack. Gaitan/Lallan are set to Winger and Attack. Pepe/Ramirez are set to Inside Forward and Attack. Osvaldo/Lambert are set to Poacher and Attack

Overall I have my tactics set to Control and Very fluid. I have found this leads to us with a large amount of shots and chances per game and giving up a few shots and quality chances.

WOW! How did you get those players for so cheap? I paid 15 million pounds for Balanta

I am not sure why the game does that. I have a West Ham save and he sold for 14 million to Man Utd. He is already a Wonderkid for me The other players were transfer listed. Gauld and Souttar I should have added they both have a future 15 percent sell on clause.

Sitting in 3rd spot after the new year. The board has generously given me 24 million pounds and they want to get a spot in europe for next season!

Looked around for some upgrades decided to bring in youth instead. Spent 7 million on Memphis Depay from PSV. 5.5 Million Nicola Murru from Caligari loaned him back as part of the deal for the rest of the year. 4.5 million for Harry Maguire from Shef utd. 3.9 for Giusuppe Prestia from Parma/Crotone.

I also went out and looked at some Free transfers. I was able to land Robert Lewandoski! Had to offer huge wages though nealy 94K per week. Singed Akinfeev the GK and Manual Fernandes MC as well for decent (35K week wages).

Hopefully we nab a Champions league spot and these big signings payoff!

Finished season one on a high note. We finished 3rd overall in the league. I think the big difference is we avoided the injury bug and tied some tough games on the road and won at home. Needless to say making the Champions league was a dream and the board and fans were extremely pleased.

With the free signings of Lewandoski,Akinfeev and Fernandes there really wasn't much to go after. The board gave 1.2 million pounds for salary and 26 million pound transfer budget. I moved out Lallana for 4 million pounds,Rodriguez for 3 million pounds, Mayuka for 4 millon pounds and let Jose Fontes go on a Free transfer. I also avoid Man City and Chelsea sniffing around Ramirez and Balanta. Both mad 17 million pound offers for both but I refused. I did see if I could get 35 for Ramirez from both but they backed off

I loaned out a most of the youngsters and got the board to get Zulke from Belgium as an affiliate for those passport transfers. I did sign 6 regens from different teams including 1 chilean and 1 brazillian who will go to Belgium for passports. The big "signing" so far was a loan move for Aser Illarremendi for the season to help the squad rotation at DM.

Started another game with Southampton as I felt I'd bought too many players in my second season so I want to try and keep the squad together as much as possible. The only signing that I've made so far was Eder Balanta for £10 million, as I want to build my defence around him for the next decade. (Tim Vickery would be proud)

I'm playing this formation below:

h7l4.png

Team Instructions:

Retain Possession

Work Ball Into Box

Play Out of Defence

Run At Defence

Exploit The Middle

Play Narrower

Play Much Higher Defensive Line

Hassle Opponents

Stay On Feet

Use Offside Trap

Much Lower Tempo

Be More Disciplined

The formation is Very Fluid and I alter between a mentality of either Control or Defensive dependent upon who I am playing.

The reason I am using this formation is I'm trying to get them to play similar to how Pochettino has them set up in real life, so I want this to be a game about keeping things really tight at the back as usually I just try and outscore the opposition. That's why I've set the team up as very fluid so we keep the shape as much as possible.

Sometimes I change the SS to an AP and bring in Ramirez if I want to get even more possession.

This is the table at the end of January.

jsea.png

A bit annoyed though as there's some games that I've been cruising only to concede which means we miss out on that all important clean sheet.

This happened in my last game and was obviously the main highlight of the season so far.

jfg2.png

How do you go having 'play narrower' and 'exploit the middle'? Seems like there would be an excess of players in the middle and one would interfere with the other.

Just finished second season with a serious fall from grace. Ended 12th behind 11th placed Liverpool and had some serious bids for my players, e.g.: £35m for Luke Shaw (PSG), £17m for Clasie (Arsenal) and £29m for Balanta.

Brought in Cabella (Montpellier: £5m), Icardi (Inter: £2.5m), Vorm (£3.1m), Ben Davies (£10m, both Swansea) and Kaka (free) as well as £5m for Hughes after he requested a transfer. This season should be better.

Started a Saints save as I wanted to work on some different ideas I had, and Southampton are the best fit. Helps that I like them.

So, out went Kelvin Davis (Man U, would you believe it), Hooiveld, Barnard, Sharp, Lee and Forte (last one only on loan, unfortunately). In came Andre Hansen, Balanta, Thomas Ince, Max Clayton and I'm just waiting on the loan signing of Javi Garcia from City.

The idea is to use Lambert as a TM(S), with other players buzzing around him. We'll see how it goes. Pre-season has seen good performances from Lallana, Ramirez and Rodriguez, with an injury to Schneiderlein. I will also be looking to develop youth a lot in this game, so after this season there won't be too many big signings (just the one a year to keep the board happy ;)).

Not sure how to play Will Hughes in my team:

Valdes GK(d); Clyne FB(s), Balanta CD(d), Lovren CD(d), Shaw FB(a); Ward-Prowse CM(a), Nainggolan DLP(s), Wanyama BMW(d); Barkley AP(a), Hughes ?; Rhodes P(a).

Normally I have one of Cabella or Honda interchange with Hughes but I want to give him a run in the team to help him develop.

Started a new Southampton game, after FM13 where I played with a strikerless formation and libero, I decided to go down that route again this year. However, as I have no natural libero and the defence not being strong enough as it is, I decided to play a flat back 3. The formation will be;

GK, DLC (D), DC (D), DRC (D), DM (A), MR (WMs), DLP, CM(S), ML(WMs), SS(A) and Treq

A total of £1.88m spent on new players including Sam Johnstone and Michael Keane (Man Utd), William Gallas and Alexander Milosevic (AIK) to bolster the back line along with Tiago Ilori on loan from Liverpool. January saw Javi Garcia come in on loan for the remainder of the season. Will throw up pictures when I get a chance. Gallas will move on to be a coach if I can get some more allowance on staff. Already asked and increased twice.

The season was fantastic overall, a ridiculous 3rd place in the league and only losing 4 games all season (away to Arsenal, Cardiff, Man Utd and Chelsea if i recall correctly) beating Man City twice (4-0 at home) and losing to them in an FA cup replay after extra time. Players of the season were Gaston (23 goals) and Lallana (20 assists) with great seasonal performances from most of the team.

A6CE76C9E693F9AD951CE74F039D18BDC07F67B7

Season 2 has just kicked off with the biggest moves for my side being as follows.

Ins

Maxim Koval - GK (£10.75m)

Javi Garcia - DM (£2.3m)

Sergi Roberto - AM (£1.3m)

Nick Powell - AM (Loan)

Dominique Heintz - DLC (£6m)

Aaron Cresswell - DL (£4m)

Oriol Romeu - DMC (£6m)

Lukas Spendlhofer - DC (£4m)

Out

Emanuel Mayuka (£13m) - had a great season with Sochaux being top scorer in France, moved on to Germany at a ridiculous price over 24 months

Pablo Osvaldo - (£18m) Atletico Madrid, barely played as he didn't like being either SS or Treq, still scored 4 goals in 10 games before going off on Loan in January to Madrid

Jose Fonte - (Loan) Cardiff

Jos Hooiveld - Free

+ all reserve/youth under 3 star

The big change for this year is to move Wanyama to CB and have Garcia in front of him. While Wanyama is a terrific DMC his passing is 11 and unlikely to rise much more, so he's going to be my central CB with Lovren and Heintz either side of him. Koval looks fantastic for a 21 year old keeper and will play rotation with the promising Sam Johnstone who was first choice last season.

If anyone wants to get the best out of Ramirez re-train him as a striker and play him as a false 9 or deep lying forward. He has fantastic creativity, good off the ball, dribbling and finishing, is strong for an AM (Strength 14) and has decent finishing (13?).

He also has the PPM comes deep to get the ball which is a bonus.

Sold Mitrovic, begrudgingly to Schalke for £19m after he only netted 15 times in two seasons. He's now scored six in two for his new side. Heres hoping his replacement can bang them in...

started a southampton save using the recommended formation that they use in real life - 4-2-3(narrow)-1, how do I get the 3 behind the striker to move around a lot, not be in eachothers way, scoring and creating, and how would u play the striker with this formation?

appreciate feedback

Just started a new game as Southampton as I've recently lost my way with the game and been flicking between save after save for a few weeks now.. I have always had a soft spot for The Saints so thought I'd give them a go in '14..

As it stands, I'm in November, sitting 4th on 22 points.. 4 behind first placed Liverpool. I've really enjoyed this save so far and have high hopes for the next few seasons.

I've signed a few players that I'd normally over look and also released a few first team squad members.. That was a decision I didn't take too lightly as I knew it would leave me short of options in times of need.. But none the less, we've now got a smaller squad full of players that I can count on.

Ins so far are: Tom Ince for £2.8m, Timo Horn for £3.8m, Evan Hovland for £230k and Jeremy Berthod for £400k.. I would have to say, out of all of those buy Hovland has been the best.. Sitting with a rating of 7.69 after 13 games in all competitions. Ince and Horn haven't really featured too much yet though due to formation and form of others but I hope they'll make a big impact next year at least..

I'm hopeful going in to the new year that we'll at least get a European spot and continue to grow!

is anyone else finding ward-prowse to be extremely injury prone? bought him for swansea and hes played 12 games in 2 years. so frustrating

Win Premier League first year with Saints, with 74 point.

A very strange and lucky (for me) league with Liverpool 8th, Arsenal 13th, Everton in CL with me, United and City.

Using 4-2DM-3 (narrow)-1.

Now I'm very close to transfer window and need two important transfer, a forward and an advanced midfielder.

Can Timo Werner be a good choice as forward?

Incredible budget from Cortese, 46M.

We need some players because with CL we must be able to do turnover.

Bought Pjanic (6.5M), Markovic (16M) and Zivkovic (rated 5 stars), preferred to Werner (18.5M). Bardi on loan. Lost Brandt on free that choose Real Madrid.

Sold Cork, Yoshida, Do Prado, Sharp.

United and City are pressing me for Ramirez (30M cash).

Project is to alternare 3 tactics: 4-2-3-1 Narrow, 4-2-3-1 with AMCL, AMC, and AMR (Markovic) and 4-1-4-1 Bayern style.

Selling Ramirez could provide me money to buy Hughes and Bardi/Butland or only Lamela, I'm struggling with this decision. Any suggestion?

Started a new game with Southampton on the January Update. Haven't strengthened the squad yet. Lallana and Shaw look to have recieved boosts on the update and Sam Gallagher looks promising.

Lallana has been ruled out for 3 months just before the season started.

Started with a home trip against Arsenal and won 3-0 (Ramirez, Rodriguez & Gallagher)

Started a new game with Southampton on the January Update. Haven't strengthened the squad yet. Lallana and Shaw look to have recieved boosts on the update and Sam Gallagher looks promising.

Lallana has been ruled out for 3 months just before the season started.

Started with a home trip against Arsenal and won 3-0 (Ramirez, Rodriguez & Gallagher)

Yep, Lallana and Shaw have been boosted :) this is about my tenth attempt (no joke) to start up with Southampton this time round...I really want to get into this save as they have great potential. I'm

finding it with every save I have at the moment that a key player gets injured right before the start of the season - so annoying!

EDIT: No transfer budget either sucks too, a CB, Winger and Back up striker appear essential. Retraining Ramirez as a STC DLF to counteract this...

I might have a go with Southampton now lallana has got the boost he deserves. Are there fewer philosophies now Cortese has gone?

Yep, Lallana and Shaw have been boosted :) this is about my tenth attempt (no joke) to start up with Southampton this time round...I really want to get into this save as they have great potential. I'm

finding it with every save I have at the moment that a key player gets injured right before the start of the season - so annoying!

EDIT: No transfer budget either sucks too, a CB, Winger and Back up striker appear essential. Retraining Ramirez as a STC DLF to counteract this...

I asked for an increase straight away and got £13M

I might have a go with Southampton now lallana has got the boost he deserves. Are there fewer philosophies now Cortese has gone?

Not sure what they were originally but its Attacking football, possession, sign high profile players and give youth a chance

Started a new save with Saints on the new patch. Asked for a slight raise on my transfer budget to facilitate a free transfer, and was given £19m. Probably won't spend it.

This is my only signing, he's fairly versatile and is good cover for Lovren or Shaw.

p3UaAS0.png

And nine games in, we sit pretty in the top 6, opening two games were Man City away and Arsenal at home, which make up my two losses, but since then I've had a significantly easier run, so I'm unbeaten in seven. Adam Lallana has been outstanding for me. But I cannot get Lambert to score for the life of me.

lcIgd5G.png

Sam Gallagher, Josh Sims, Harry Reed, and Jake Hesketh have all been promoted to the first team and have made appearances.

Unfortunately I was unable to keep up my early season form and dropped off significantly round Christmas time. Ended up finishing twelfth which is disappointing in the scheme of things.

284tUK5.png

Second half of the season results were poor, but my personal highlight was the 6-2 drubbing of Norwich at Carrow Road. After failing to sign Damiao I panic loaned Quagliarella from Juve for a few months, and he netted five of his seven goals for me in that one game. Ha.

U4KdvFH.png

Anyway, I didn't realise Osvaldo had a fee agreed in the loan contract, so I lost him - albeit for £16m, so that softened the blow somewhat, and then I replaced him swiftly with a significantly better striker anyway.

urwEsPz.png

Didn't think I'd get him, but for some reason City had set his asking price really low, and I got him for £10m + £1m after 50 goals. Building my team around him and I'm hoping to have him leading the line with Lallana, Lambert and Ramirez as the three behind him.

Evening all, decided to start a save with Southampton this time on the new patch. Like the look of the side and with a few additions I think I can go for at least a European slot. I am going for the title though first season as is always my personal challenge and target I set myself at the beginning of a new save no matter who I am with

Starting a Southampton save, want a pretty attacking set up which is relatively good at retaining the ball. Going for a wide 4-2-3-1.

Got Jay Rodriquez up top with Lambert behind as a shadow striker. Will look to eventually replace Lambert with a more mobile AM, potentially Rodriquez himself and then also bring in a beast up top.

More pressing issue is a right winger. Doesnt seem to be an out and out right winger in the squad, any recommendations? Would like someone young with flair, bit like Walcott but more ability..

Time for another quick update on my last twelve months. :p

End of the summer transfer window last season I managed to do this:

Bh1cc-SCYAAN2Bg.png

Although I'm now feeling the effects financially. :( Finished 6th in season two, but failed to qualify for Europe, which is frustrating as I could have done with the extra revenue, and games to continue blooding Hesketh, Reed et al.

Boruc got injured just after the summer window shut for 5 months and not trusting Davis and Gazzaniga for the better portion of the season, I panic bought Declan Rudd on a free transfer.

Anyway, season three transfers:

KEY9eOh.png

GK was a priority as Rudd and Boruc aren't necessarily good enough for my ambitions anymore, and at £6m and £42.5k a week Ruffier is a snip, but in some great early season performances. Jedvaj has proved to be a great find for me, and he's formed a great partnership with Dejan Lovren in defence, CB was another priority with Fonte declining and Yoshida not being good enough.

We sit top after 11 games with a superb defensive record. Took six games for us to concede!

e2ygcig.png

Hopefully we can at least get top 5 this season, as I'd prefer a season in the Europa League to blood a few more of my high-potential youngsters, and get them ready for top 4 assaults.

Starting my season now with Saints, after a couple os friendlys, we played against Schalke (2-0) and Granada (3-1).

We lost for Chelsea (0-2) but we played really nice, my first match is against United (A) and then Spurs (H) tooth matches.

Let's go!!

Schawcross arrived to qualify defence and sold José Fuente.

I Actually started a new save because I got a lot of injuries and were playing bad on PL.

So here we are playing a lot better and consistent, on first place so far, but I dont know how long we can stay on the top.

-

c09f.png

-

4sw8.png

-

q6x2.png

-

I can also take some help from you guys with my tatic

About to start my yearly FM Saints save, been waiting for the new patch! :)

Had a really good save with them last year, spending 10 years at the helm before moving on to the England job. Defo going down the same route as last year tho, concentrating on youth, scouting the world for young talent and playing an attacking, attractive style of play!

Shall update as soon as I finish pre-season.

Also starting with Saints on new patch and with first transfer window disabled. So i hope we wont struggle in attack as there is only Lambert for Striker role :p

Also starting with Saints on new patch and with first transfer window disabled. So i hope we wont struggle in attack as there is only Lambert for Striker role :p

You could play Rodriguez upfront.