Sports Interactive Community
Matthew Le God

FM14: Southampton F.C. - Gatecrashing the top table

Go to make him learn a PPM and go to technique training at the bottom and it's the bottom one.

Not 100% sure, but you have to train him to use his weaker foot, which I believe is a PPM. Eventually he'll become good at using both feet through it, making him either-footed.

Like I said, not 100% sure if that's true though.

Go to make him learn a PPM and go to technique training at the bottom and it's the bottom one.

Nice one :thup:

First season finished. Here's a series of screenshots:

67A45B912B4850B59F2AB7A2F400591CD3AB318E

98672DCB6B4DE36C9DB9983E5BDAF3022AE5F078

3BEA17FFF40A912B2EE12ACCE68E73ECB917FBDA

03D93C0E412D22C2A0591F37CB34F257A3CB7AD3

E8D96706205B7CFB2DB744D7EFBFAA7F8C50EDCA

82187AEA245A426052B59103CC25634A4BE01D0B

Fantastic stuff, ready to start building for next season. I reckon we can challenge the title but I'd be happy to finish top four again, get a good cup run and be playing in Europe after Christmas (whether it's the CL or EL I'm not fussed).

Started a game with them aswell, will post screenies when I get home from work (in 6-7 hours or so). Yesterday i got the preseason done (till market closed), short stuff, playing 4-3-1-2, short passing possesion style. Preseason went well, Osvaldo seems to fall a bit short atm (playing him as Poacher). Got Nesta, DiVaio, Onazi and a backup gk (Andre Hansen i think his name is) and Honda, sent the majority of the youngsters on loan with Davis. Made a complete overhaul of the staff. Lost first game 4-2 against Chelsea (a), team played a good game not really dissapointed. Won 2-0 (h) with Liverpool (i murdered them). Won 3-1 in the cup against a lower division team (can't remember the name at the moment) (Ramirez got sent off min 16 or so), preety happy with that one. Up against Hull (h) next. Shortlisted Oxlade and Theo (hoping to get some budget in the winter transfer to buy one of them and maybe loan in another defender as Nesta has been a disaster so far. Jay9 has been amaizing since I got DiVaio, Lovren too as well as Clyne and Morgan.

Drew the toughest CL group imaginable. I was the lowest ranked side in the entire group stage :D

Barcelona

Borussia Dortmund

Roma

Southampton

:(

istx.jpg

It's possible guys!

Edit: Didn't remove the "Sign players from chairman's own nation", but "Sign high profile players" disappeared.

I was also wondering how you remove this? I might go in the editor if it can't be removed through a board meeting.

Has anyone actually managed to get rid of the "Sign player's from Chairmans own nation"?

@lewis999: nope :(

@bjg123: crazy start there mate.

Quick update after today's gametime. Reached 1st of January, currently sitting in the Champions League spots althou losing the last 3 games in a torrent rain (I think a change of game plan is needed when raining, the short passing doesn't work at all). Lost Lambert for the entire season with an injury. Decent progress on JWP, Shaw and Ramirez and J9. Quick tip, never get Nesta if you intend of using him, my worst player ever. Extend my contract with the club till 2016 so happy about that.

And as a bonus:

ipRiQcE.png

After that mental start it's all gone a bit boring, beat West Ham 1-0 lost 2-0 to United, then beat Everton 1-0. Gone from no clean sheets and scoring at least 3 in every leage game to 2 clean sheets in 3 and 2 goals in 3 games :D

Awww, yeah :cool:

CC741732E4087D02A3A3AEC8D9500156D82F4011

07F4DC7A932B3E4E47FD274BE2BC332F94B83D6D

Possible Last 16 opponents: Juventus, Atletico, PSG, Metalist, Steaua, Basel, Anderlecht.

Any of the first three will be nasty (although after the games I had in the groups, I feel like anything is possible), any of the latter four preferable.

Great results there JDownie. You still using the 4-3-1-2? I used to use that on FM12 and thought about it the other day again but was concerned I would get hammered down the flanks. I take it looking at those results, you don't? :)

Cheers guys, Cheers very pleased with our performances in Europe.

I've stopped playing 4312 because I feel it's a bit weak defensively. I have switched to a 41212, playing Wanyama at DMC as a Half Back. Provides defensive stability and means we essentially play a 352 in offense. Two MCs are DLP/S (Xhaka) and BBM (JWP). Also switched my strikers. TM/S and CF/A is how I line-up. In Europe I go Defensive and in Domestic competitions I go Control. Depending on my Last 16 opponents I may go Control, dunno yet.

I'll post some in-depth screenies if you guys want them tomorrow, not at my laptop tonight unfortunately.

Came 5th in my first season. Osvaldo was a monster with 29 goals in all comps.

Ward-Prowse has been unreal for me in my second season. 2 games left and he has 13 goals and 20 assists. Average rating of 7.41. I'm currently in 5th again, level with 4th but behind on goal difference and 1 point behind 3rd. Hoping to get into the top 4 but not looking likely.

Turned off first window transfer budgets as I wanted to play with the real team in the first season. Didn't make any signings until the second season. They were Marc-andre ter Stegen (8m), Davide Astori (8m), Javi Garcia (loan) and Antonio Candreva (12m) in the summer. Picked up Fabio (4.4m) and Sebastian Giovinco (5.25m) in January. Osvaldo has struggled this season, especially in comparison to the first. Only 9 goals for him so far but Candreva, Ward-Prowse, Lambert and Ramirez are all in double digits so it hasn't affected us much. Went out of the Europa League to Liverpool on away goals in the quarter finals.

Why am I not surprised that the tactics that are yielding so much success here are sucking for me? With izzydizi's tactic I am winless at home and just got pasted 4-1 by Norwich, at home. We had 4 shots on goal.

Well my computer just had a meltdown and my harddrive is now gone, so I need to start a new game today.

@zoe: There are a few things you need to consider, I'm gonna go by each so you have an idea how I prepare my team:

- team talks - If I'm winning with less than 2 goals I always tell my team I'm expecting better; unless I massacre the opponent and they have no shots and no possesion or they are the big four, than I go with I'm please with the victory.

- match preparation - Preseason and until my tactic bars are full I go with "tactics only" and after that with "teamwork".

- during games - If I have a lead by 2 goals I switch to contain, if I got an extra man I switch to control (I'm using 3 match preparation tactics; with the same player positions; this way my team gets used to contain, standard and control).

- training - I prefer to train the players on the respective position (ex: Wanyama on BWM) so I only train them in the respective roles. I handle the preseason training aswell, first week go with Fitness, next 2 weeks go with tactics after that balanced, this way the team will get used to the tactics much faster. [all of this needs to be done in the preseason, I dont know how to handle changes during the season, thats why I lost too many games in December when the team was underperforming]

Gonna start up a new game tonight, I'll come back and post some pics after.

Started a Saints save at the side of my Barnsley one (local team). Started the season brilliantly and unbeaten after 6 games. 4 wins and 2 draws including a two 2-1 wins over Chelsea and Tottenham. A 1-1 draw against Liverpool (Late equaliser for them :( ) and just now a fantastic and well deserved 1-0 win over Man City at St. Mary's.

Now I have an 'easier' set of fixtures so looking to cement a top 4 place at least before I get to January. Hoping Cortese gives me some funds in January too.

EDIT: Scratch that, just asked him in the boardroom for more transfer funds and he agreed straight away and gave me 7.5m which is fantastic. Think I am going to go after Will Hughes. Let the unsettling start :D

DR707fR.jpg?1

KLAHFe0.jpg

Some tough matches coming up, but I am confident of reaching CL now!

zMgoer4.jpg

11 matches to go! Will the league title of 2013 be coming to St. Marys?

After my West Ham game went down the swanny Ive started a Saints game.. only signing has been Balanta at the back. Hopefully get something decent on the go with Southampton!

Well my computer just had a meltdown and my harddrive is now gone, so I need to start a new game today.

@zoe: There are a few things you need to consider, I'm gonna go by each so you have an idea how I prepare my team:

- team talks - If I'm winning with less than 2 goals I always tell my team I'm expecting better; unless I massacre the opponent and they have no shots and no possesion or they are the big four, than I go with I'm please with the victory.

- match preparation - Preseason and until my tactic bars are full I go with "tactics only" and after that with "teamwork".

- during games - If I have a lead by 2 goals I switch to contain, if I got an extra man I switch to control (I'm using 3 match preparation tactics; with the same player positions; this way my team gets used to contain, standard and control).

- training - I prefer to train the players on the respective position (ex: Wanyama on BWM) so I only train them in the respective roles. I handle the preseason training aswell, first week go with Fitness, next 2 weeks go with tactics after that balanced, this way the team will get used to the tactics much faster. [all of this needs to be done in the preseason, I dont know how to handle changes during the season, thats why I lost too many games in December when the team was underperforming]

Gonna start up a new game tonight, I'll come back and post some pics after.

Thanks izzydizi. I had done all of these things (except (3), but my problem is that I'm going down early, especially at home) and I still failed -- I don't understand it. I think I've read every thread in the tactical forum as well. But this is nothing new for me. I haven't succeeded with any team since my FM12 Arsenal save.

Anybody on here successfully tried to replicate the way Pochettino has them set-up in real life? As I'd interested in the kind of positions Ward-Prowse plays when he's on the right, Lamber off Osvaldo etc.

I'm thinking of doing so and I would start by having a 4-2-3-1, high defensive line, very rigid, lower tempo, retain possession.

I've tried using the Pochettino system and I failed horribly, finished on 8th place on the new save (which I'll probably delete). Defensive wise the system is flawed, average rating for Balanta and Lovren were around 6.2 and not even Fonte who performs excellent can keep up with the quick strikers you'll encounter. I dont know if its the system or me but I just dont like it.

When I'm up against quick strikers and wingers, I usually use the shout "Drop Deeper".

First Season Summary:

A good first season with the league title secured. Primarily because of my bad runs in the cups, which made my team selection easy as all players where fit throughout. I need much more rotational players in the next season when Champions League is coming to St. Marys!

Fixtures:

92Hyua1.jpg

Team:

yH1GbQO.jpg

mYQ3Jo2.jpg

My top eleven:

PvAUVUC.jpg

League Table:

KnwM4VA.jpg

Bring it on, Europe!

Second season complete. Here's some screenshots of how things went:

9DEF2457CC3008B7B4D01F841835E285D0138D42

847739D4C00780776867D6F2605A5D5B0E15B47B

311A7DC3D2264F0B3D8FE6655FED802B26A08DD2

B2CCCD45BD46D372E9F2054D0B298C2947DB0E63

34C53625B6B29A770DA4D3C1F60627CCB933AE37

E4DE3726B0FA165429A3BEAB03F54E6067969EFE

6B02ED232B68238B32BB6D44A6685F4E34E3E784

Great season. Looking forward to next year. I want to build on this success, try and retain the PL and do better in Europe. A good cup run would be nice. Yet to get past the 4th round in any of my four cup runs so far...

Last season I got a CL group consisting of Barcelona, Roma, Dortmund and Southampton. This year might be tougher...

Real Madrid (La Liga Champions)

PSG (Ligue 1 Champions)

Hannover (Bundesliga Champions)

Southampton (Premier League Champions)

:lol: I hate being fourth seeds :(

My only saving grace might be how well I performed last season in the CL, managing to top that group.

Made a few signings and changed how I play quite a bit, instead of a narrow 41212 I've gone for a 433. I'll post some screens etc tomorrow, too late to bother now.

When I'm up against quick strikers and wingers, I usually use the shout "Drop Deeper".

First Season Summary:

A good first season with the league title secured. Primarily because of my bad runs in the cups, which made my team selection easy as all players where fit throughout. I need much more rotational players in the next season when Champions League is coming to St. Marys!

Fixtures:

92Hyua1.jpg

Team:

yH1GbQO.jpg

mYQ3Jo2.jpg

My top eleven:

PvAUVUC.jpg

League Table:

KnwM4VA.jpg

Bring it on, Europe!

1st place int he first season is incredible!!!

Can I ask what mentality you use? Fluid, balanced or rigid?

I would also like to ask if you how you vary between using control, attack and defend?

Again: well done! Rett og slett utrolig bra!

I've just started a game with Saints for FM14. After 3 games in the league i'm bored and annoyed already. While i've won 2 and drawn one, i've had 4 red cards (Lovren, Yoshida, Tomkins and Hooiveld), 19 bookings (instructions are to stay on feet and press) and Ramirez has missed an open goal in every game. (each time the "theres only one outcome" message). The game is really poor this year, way too many shots on target and far too many instructions to be ******* about with to get it right. You always feel that they'll score with every attack while your team either struggle to create good chances or miss open goals. Very disappointing this year.

1st place int he first season is incredible!!!

Can I ask what mentality you use? Fluid, balanced or rigid?

I would also like to ask if you how you vary between using control, attack and defend?

Again: well done! Rett og slett utrolig bra!

Tusen takk :)

Mentality: Balanced; Didn't really vary much, used counter all through the season.

Having a tough start to second season, as where I could come away with laying low, now I have to control as teams shut up shop early on.

CL group:

Dortmund

Benfica

København

Now I need to find a way to break down teams, while maintaining tight defence. Anyone else having a lot more injuries after the patch? May be just unlucky.

Tusen takk :)

Mentality: Balanced; Didn't really vary much, used counter all through the season.

Having a tough start to second season, as where I could come away with laying low, now I have to control as teams shut up shop early on.

CL group:

Dortmund

Benfica

København

Now I need to find a way to break down teams, while maintaining tight defence. Anyone else having a lot more injuries after the patch? May be just unlucky.

Nice! Thanks Rekobeto. Will be exciting to see how your team copes with CL!! :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on a DM for my second third season? Playing in the Euro Cup, and aiming for Champion League this season. My best current DM player is also my number 1 CD.

Transfer budget of £20m, however my finances are crap at the moment, so as cheap as possible would be great!

Started another game with Southampton as I felt I'd bought too many players in my second season so I want to try and keep the squad together as much as possible. The only signing that I've made so far was Eder Balanta for £10 million, as I want to build my defence around him for the next decade. (Tim Vickery would be proud)

I'm playing this formation below:

h7l4.png

Team Instructions:

Retain Possession

Work Ball Into Box

Play Out of Defence

Run At Defence

Exploit The Middle

Play Narrower

Play Much Higher Defensive Line

Hassle Opponents

Stay On Feet

Use Offside Trap

Much Lower Tempo

Be More Disciplined

The formation is Very Fluid and I alter between a mentality of either Control or Defensive dependent upon who I am playing.

The reason I am using this formation is I'm trying to get them to play similar to how Pochettino has them set up in real life, so I want this to be a game about keeping things really tight at the back as usually I just try and outscore the opposition. That's why I've set the team up as very fluid so we keep the shape as much as possible.

Sometimes I change the SS to an AP and bring in Ramirez if I want to get even more possession.

This is the table at the end of January.

jsea.png

A bit annoyed though as there's some games that I've been cruising only to concede which means we miss out on that all important clean sheet.

This happened in my last game and was obviously the main highlight of the season so far.

jfg2.png

i'll have to try the same tactic with your team instructions, i played the first season with Southampton and it seemed like a suicidal tactic (different instructions though), losing by 6 goals to big teams, barely managed to eke out 8th position

what player instructions do you use?

HUNc68z.png

Incredibly well done on your first season dude! Has this formation worked on the latest patch (14.2 I think) do you know? Am intrigued to play the same on my just started Saints save..

Not keen on Boruc but looks like he was good for you.

Thanks man.

First Season Summary:

My top eleven:

PvAUVUC.jpg

The formation did not work out in my second season (after installing 14.2) but I think it's more down to the tactic relying heavily on defence and quick counters, while the opposing teams came with defensive tactics, which results in way to many players congested in the wrong end of the pitch.

I'm currently 14th (:D) after some heart-wrenching performances which see me drop way to many points, and struggling to keep some form. Hopefully the board will see me through the season on my former merits, and I'll have a chance to get back into the top 8 in the next season..

I've bought

Jason Steele

Eder Balanta

Aleksander Mitrovic

Nathaniel Chalobah

and several yougn regens.

Potentially the team can be magnificent, but currently the performance is way off. Hoping to develop a new tactic for the next season. I'm quite open for suggestions. ;)

Also playing a Southampton game here.

I decided not to make any transfers and to see what I could do starting with the existing squad given its potential with the likes of Clyne, Shaw, JWP, Wanyama, Ramirez etc. I was flying high halfway through the season in and around the top spot then the update to 14.2 caused a blip in form. I signed Eric Dier in January though hardly gave him a game choosing instead to bed Jack Stephens in to the team alongside Lovren. Osvaldo and Lambert both had been banging the goals in for the first half of my season but with the change in formation I also began to play Jay Rodriguez whose goals led us to the title in which was a very weird season with my team fighting it out with Newcastle for the title and Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool finishing 8th, 9th and 10th.

James Ward Prowse was my star man with 12 goals and 15 assists and already being capped by England. With a war chest of around 35 million for season 2 and many top players now interested in signing for our side I am undecided how to continue as I do not want to sign too many players and keen to keep as much of the existing squad together as I can.

The obvious improvements should be in goals with Boruc getting on, being quite erratic and on a big contract but Gazzaniga played my last 10 or so games and was the man in between the sticks as we picked up the title.

Defence wise I think we need a top class defender to play alongside Lovren and I am considering bring in another attacker to replace Osvaldo (if I can sell him) as whilst he gave a good goal return I don't feel he adds enough to the team and given his 70k a week salary I think now is possibly the best time to get a return on our investment in him and get a quality attacker in (particularly with Lamberts stats dropping already)

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages_zps28996605.png

Southampton_TransfersTransferHistory_zps95276d9e.png

Southampton_SquadPlayers_zpsbfd37f32.png

I cashed in. Highly recommend it. He's a huge wage drain and doesn't perform :thdn:

I restarted a Southampton save. Barely played it due to it being the time of year it is, but I'll play it a lot more over the next week. I'll no doubt get the first season out of the way by next Friday.

The formation did not work out in my second season (after installing 14.2) but I think it's more down to the tactic relying heavily on defence and quick counters, while the opposing teams came with defensive tactics, which results in way to many players congested in the wrong end of the pitch.

I'm currently 14th (:D) after some heart-wrenching performances which see me drop way to many points, and struggling to keep some form. Hopefully the board will see me through the season on my former merits, and I'll have a chance to get back into the top 8 in the next season..

I've bought

Jason Steele

Eder Balanta

Aleksander Mitrovic

Nathaniel Chalobah

and several yougn regens.

Potentially the team can be magnificent, but currently the performance is way off. Hoping to develop a new tactic for the next season. I'm quite open for suggestions. ;)

tried 3 games on latest patch with your formation for 2 seasons, doesn't work at all with the squad Southampton has, best i got waas 8th, same as my old tactic

Southampton seem like a really exciting team to be. Great youngsters, great support and the board seems good as well.

I'm worried about Boruc as my starting keeper. The club doesn't really give enough funds to find a good keeper... I have a few in mind i wanna bring in in season two so hope Boruc can do okay for the first season. Is Butland good enough to be a starting keeper right from the start? I've only played one save so far with Liverpool and I signed Valdes for free 2nd season... I don't wanna really sign him again though.

I played for about an hour but couldn't seem to get rid of the deadwood...

My issue at the minute is not having the strikers to score goals. Rodriguez, Osvaldo and Lambert don't even look like putting the ball in the net, and having signed Vieto he isn't ready for first team action I feel. Do I have to turn to Guly and Ryan Seager?