ri916's FM14 Anglo/Euro Youth Academy Challenge

I don't expect an easy ride. Have you got any tips since you've done it before? I'd also like to declare that there was a pre-arranged incoming transfer.

Personally, I would offer two pieces of advice.

1 - Set your expectations low. This year I will be aiming for a 5 year plan for each league. Yr 1, avoid relegation. Yr 2, consolidate mid to bottom half of table. Yr 3, mid table. Yr 4 challenge for playoffs. Yr 5, challenge for promotion.

2 - When you get youths who you think will be quality, start playing them ASAP. More (good) first team appearances = faster progression.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finances are really looking terrible atm for English sides...

I started with AFC Hornchurch (just as a test until we get normal release) and players want too much money... Have 18 players and projected finances are 400k in red for next season... Don't see how it will be possible to upgrade anything even with awesome cup runs...

Vikeologist's2014-5 Lega Pro Prima Divisione Mid-Season Report

130px-Piacenza_calcio_fc_zps8c2d9d4e.png

Because let’s be honest, we won’t all make it to the end of the first season without getting the sack.

Predictably this is tough, even with having some advantages. At the mid-way point we’re 18thout of 20 teams, in the playout places. Our attendance is above average for the division. We have ok training and youth facilities. We haven’t had too many injuries and we have lots of promising youngsters without any major first team position gaps.

For the most part, the first half of the season has been tough, but after a very poor run of form, we won a couple of games and then earned a couple of draws. After 17 games, we were 9 points above Lecco, the team in the rock bottom automatic relegation slot. I was confident of riding our form to a victory in our match against them and opening up a 12 point gap.

Problem 1 - Butwe lost. Lecco won their next game as well. We lost ours. Suddenly that gap is 3 points. We’ve resuscitated Lecco.

Current League Table

Problem 2 –I have 10 players with 5 star potential, (6 of whom are all potential and no current). I know for long-term success I have to play my promising players, but it’s a bit hard to do that when there are much better immediate options, and we’re losing our games. I don’t have any good wingers, so there was no harm cementing my prodigios in those positions, but the gap between the other 4 and their first team equivalents is huge. Apart from my back-up goalie, they’ve all made an appearance at some point, but none of them did particularly well.

Current First Team Squad

Problem 3 – Eventhough I’m well within the wage budget, I’m making a loss. That wouldn’t normally be a problem, as I could sell players, but of course I need to hold onto the ones I’ve got. I do have a surfeit of strikers if it becomes a big problem. (I did sell a couple of players, but for a grand total of £1k).

Problem 4 –Although I have players in all positions. (I made sure of this after semi-starting with a viable goalkeeper-less Taranto) my defence is paper-thin.I started with about 10 strikers and 3 central defenders. I had 2 ok central defenders, a raw youngster in that position, and that’s it. I’m retraining lots of players to fill the potential gaps in the squad, but some of them are rubbish in their original positions.

Problem 5 –Our team is professional, but a lot of players are or were on semi-pro contracts which limits their development and fitness. Our 2 central defenders are exhausted, jaded, in need of a long rest and attending team meetings in those little buggies very old people use to get around. My 15 year old third choice is young, fit, raring to go - and unable to tackle my 6 year old daughter. Playing twice a week most of the time is brutal. I have to rest half my team virtually all the time, which will limit their development, team cohesion etc.

So, I’m sure these problems aren’t a surprise. I just wanted you to share my pain.

Its always admirable that people are so keen to start, but really all challenges should come with a warning that the game is currently in BETA. Really challenge attempts are a little ill advised 2 or 3 days into the BETA process, but equally if u treat it as what it is - a chance to "test" the scenario, huge value for SI :)

I don't see any reason not to do the challenge in BETA. The only real risk is that there is some huge problem that completely ruins the challenge. Thus far there isn't. In fact last year, in Germany, it was only during the BETA that people could start a challenge in Germany. The 'final' version had only reserve teams getting promoted because of reputation.

Some people have been suggesting that there's too many goals, but currently in my save the highest scoring club in my division is averaging 2.5 goals a game, and nobody's conceding more than 3 per game.

As I say, I understand people who wait. Of course the finished refined version of FM2013 might be better than the BETA version of 2014. On the other hand, I think the lack of flashy new features mean that the BETA is not bad. My game hasn't crashed (unlike the final version of 2013 which occasionally did). Most importantly for this challenge, the club philosophy option (particularly the give youth a chance option) seems to be working. I've told my Chairman that's what I want to do, and thus far he hasn't complained about my doing that.

The game is always in development, but thus far I think I can place the problems at the door of my squad, (and the frustrating challenge rules) rather than computer code.

Good to know that you're doing better now, janesy. And thanks for the advice. Also, I've just looked at the FFP in the football league, the financial picture is going to be bleak.

Aye, That's why I chose RW Essen as I had a little fling with them last year and financially they could hold their own year on year. It won't always be like that, once you get a steady tactic and you build a fanbase and the odd cup run here and there....you'll be fine just keep at it.

Janesy - I'm impressed (and jealous) how well you're doing. Are you playing your promising players, even if you have much better options? I'm almost certainly going to finish 19th, and have to do the relegation playouts, so I might throw in my 'YP1' even though he's about my 6th best striker.

You mention cup runs, but we weren't even entered in the Italian Cup this first season. We got through a couple of rounds of the Serie C Cup, but I'm not sure the money is worth the extra fixtures and attendant player tiredness.

Gogogo - How are you doing in England?

Nottingham Forest / Brugi / Owl / Budiko- How's it going?

I was going to put my YP1 in the first eleven, when a club made a paltry transfer bid for him, and it made me think; hold on. He's still on a youth contract. Somebody else could offer him a contract, (and pay me peanuts). God knows I've done this myself enough times, so it would only be my karmic desert.

So, maybe I'm going to hide him away until he turns 17 and actually puts his name on the dotted line. If another club even mentions his name, I'm just going to keep screaming out 'child molester' until they stop trying to sign him.

@vikeologist - Just sign them to a pre-contract and nobody can poach them. I normally do it on intake day for the highly rated guys.

@gogogo golem - Tough luck, the first couple of seasons are the hardest before the youth players kick in.

Sorry to hear your news, Gogogo. Did your Chairman send you messages before telling you to drop the player?

No, that was his only follow up. The annoying thing was the team performance was fine, it was a buggy mechanism that told me to drop a player a few months back, I did for a few games, then played him, he did fine and then what rankles is the way that the player in question was man of the match in the game before my sacking. I'm reporting it as a bug because a non controversial player selection issue (I mean without aggro problems like Suarez or Barton) shouldn't lead to a sacking from a manager who was delivering the expectations set, and it's even worse if you did drop them for two or three games, and you then bring them back and play well and get sacked for it.

Janesy - I'm impressed (and jealous) how well you're doing. Are you playing your promising players, even if you have much better options? I'm almost certainly going to finish 19th, and have to do the relegation playouts, so I might throw in my 'YP1' even though he's about my 6th best striker.

You mention cup runs, but we weren't even entered in the Italian Cup this first season. We got through a couple of rounds of the Serie C Cup, but I'm not sure the money is worth the extra fixtures and attendant player tiredness.

I'm doing ok i guess... Mid table.

But I guess this is going to be test save for me... Just to get into new match engine, tactics and stuff... I will start a new save when game gets released (beta DB is incomplete...).

Just holidayed a year in France with CFA enabled and LEMANS FC got promoted to the playable third "National" league...I wonder if I should go for them, as I think they have a little advantage having:

25k+ stadium

Top corporate, Great training, Great youth facilities

Average jun. coaching and Above average youth recruitment.

What do you guys think about it? Too easy?

Also from previous FM's, what are your experiences with managing in France? Especially this challenge? Never in 5 years of me playing FM have I managed a french club, that's why I am asking.

Thanks in advance!

@Tush - The youth recruitment in particular will make it easier in the medium term (you typically can't raise it for many years otherwise), but the start may be harder if the club has high expectations ... expectations based on you going out and spending your wage budget on new players.

France is a tough place to start I found, I've been relegated/fired there trying this challenge in both FM12 and FM13.

I beginning to think that I was in the opposite bug situation to Gogogo. I've picked up 18 points from 31 games (10 losses in the last eleven games), but the board showed no signs of losing patience with me, but I was suddenly hauled into a meeting to discuss my performance. I've managed to persuade them to give me another month, (which unfortunately will be up immediately before 2 games against clubs at the bottom of the table).

I'm definitely going to finish in the relegation playouts at best, and am only 2 points above automatic relegation. I almost wanted them to put me out of my misery, but I've just had an intake of youth candidates with a bucketload of promising players, so if I can by some miracle survive, things might eventually get better.

UPDATE - After losing the next match I was summoned to another meeting. I asked what it would take to save my job and they said 10 points from the next 5 matches. I asked for a more realistic target (I was thinking 1 point) and they sacked me.

Well, that's been a depressing experience. I always suspected I did well because of the players I bought, but I hoped I had some kind of motivational and tactical nouse as well. It seems not. I might try this challenge again, but not immediately. Bye.

@vikeologist - Tough luck, don't take being fired too hard, it's part of the deal when you play this challenge. Depending on the starting squad there can just be plain nothing you can do to save the club.

Yeah im going to give this a BETA test, since the game is in beta il do a challenge in BETA. Had great fun in Spain on my last attempt last year, so off there I go. Probably one of the hardest and least likely to complete but the lower leagues were fun, and decent enough youth intakes and possibility of some tv money :)

My team from last year appear to have been promoted in real life (Cultural Leonesa) so I shall need to pick a new one :)

My team from last year appear to have been promoted in real life (Cultural Leonesa) so I shall need to pick a new one :)
Waymouth? :) You know you want it... :)

Heh, yep it will be Weymouth. Sadly my team from last year have ceased to exist, otherwise it would have been a tough call.

I havnt played as much as I would have hoped, but its tough, as expected. Although I think my WKE side have what it takes to stay up. It appears I have now found a tactic which is effective, which is a help

Still think I will use this as an experiment and then start again once the full game is released

I think I may retry with FC United of Manchester as they look like they have the finances to support a couple of promotions (over a few seasons). Unlucky vikeologist, I think nine points would have been fair but those emergency board meetings are really overpowered.

FC_United.png

FC United of Manchester - keeping the squad more united than the team with the words the other way round

Manager Profile: http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/gogogogolem/media/2013-10-22_00001_zps7852adf4.jpg.html

Club Overview: http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/gogogogolem/media/2013-10-22_00002_zpsf7eaf808.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Facilities: http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/gogogogolem/media/2013-10-22_00003_zps55c3f020.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1 - The pitch condition looks awful but we have the finances to improve.

Now then, lets get cracking.

EDIT: This post is null and void since I just found out I have no goalkeeper.

FC_United.png

FC United of Manchester - keeping the squad more united than the team with the words the other way round

So, I've reholidayed, different save, to inherit a squad with a goalkeeper, albeit a low quality one, and the screenshots are, I think, identical even though they're from the saved game.

Manager Profile: [urlhttp://s1281.photobucket.com/user/gogogogolem/media/2013-10-22_00004_zps35c116c5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4[/url]

Club Overview: http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/gogogogolem/media/2013-10-22_00005_zpsfff8fc7c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Facilities: http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/gogogogolem/media/2013-10-22_00006_zps25624b50.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3 - The pitch condition looks awful but we have the finances to improve.

Now then, lets get cracking.

Also, my first board meeting was a massive success, youth facilities, junior coaching(basic to adequate) both upgraded and they're looking for a parent club since a small fee and a free friendly should help with finances:

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/gogogogolem/media/2013-10-22_00007_zps51b2bea5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1 http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/gogogogolem/media/2013-10-22_00008_zps8ce38b22.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

I thought the parent club wasn't worthy of a screenshot.

CD Castellon

logo.png

Manager profile

Joining the club, the staff consisted of the chairman, and me..........So had to go out and get some staff in.

The squad doesn't look terrible, enough coverage for each position, and in a change to any other time ive played this challenge in Spain, we actually do have a "B" team affiliated. They had 3 players, so not like it adds much to us!

I chose the team because im a Valencia fan. Our famous ex players include Vincente del Bosque, and the town can also boast another famous sportsman in Sergio Garcia :)

May I ask, what is the reason for the countries that are allowed. Surely with clubs from the Netherlands, clubs that come up will be amateur. Has anyone ever done this, and do they become professional? Do clubs even get promoted into playable leagues?

On the other hand, how would people feel about adding Greece to the countries, (I admit because I might be interested in playing as AEL. I need al the help I can get). Otherwise I might do the challenge again as Piacenza, (with a completely new holiday season beforehand). I can't get into the Hibernian save, even though they're my boyhood team and I've never won anything with them. This challenge has ruined transfers for me, and I really, really hate failing at things. It's eating me up.

I very briefly started again with Sakhalin (Russia) Maybe they're the closest club to me, because they're practically in Asia. Someone on another challenge managed them, but failed miserably, and that was with being able to buy players. I want at least a small chance of success.

@vikeologist - The nations available were chosen by ri916 based on feedback after the first challenge on what nations people who played the challenge would like to see. Personally I don't see a problem with using any nation in Europe - most of the ones not included will be harder due to the lower quality of youth that comes through - although I think the idea of restricting the nations was so that there would be a better chance of multiple people playing in the same nation.

Certainly some nations are tougher to get started in than others, depending on the quality gap between the playable and unplayable promotion league - the Netherlands are one of the hard ones. If you want an easier start I'd suggest Portugal or Belgium as being two of the softer lower leagues, particularly if you reload a few times to find a club with a decent starting squad. However completing the challenge there is a long haul due to both nations having poorer youth intakes compared to the big 5 nations.

Larisa_zps37f80c0b.png

Well, I’m going to do the challenge with Larisa (AEL) from Greece. I hope you’ll decide that it’s better to have me inside the tent urinating out, then outside urinating in.

I want to do the challenge in Greece for a few reasons.

Firstly AEL are (or used to be until this year) a big club; maybe the fifth biggest in Greece, but due to financial troubles, they’ve been kicked out of the second tier into the third tier of Greek football (where rather unsurprisingly they’ve re-emerged at the first attempt into my capable (nobody tell them about Piacenza) arms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEL_1964_FC. They’re the only ‘countryside’ club outside the two main cities to ever win the top division. In some ways that may make it easier, but then again, who knows what extra problems there may be with expectations and wages.

There is an even bigger team, AEK Athens, who were kicked out of the top division. What have I chosen AEL instead of AEK? Well, I got mixed up and thought that AEL were the really big fallen giant, and by the time I realised my mistake, I’d fallen in love with the team.

Secondly, Greece’s league system looks interesting for a number of reasons; chiefly that to be in the top division, you need a ‘license’. More about that if I ever get there, and if it’s in the game. Hopefully you’ll find the ‘variations’ to my tale interesting.

Thirdly, if I complete this challenge, I will have also completed Gundo’s, and have killed two birds with one stone, albeit that this particular bird is huge, and this is my second stone.

One potential problem is that the board want me to sign high profile players. Boy, are they going to be disappointed. They also expect em to finish in the top half of the table. I don’t have an Assistant Manager or Head of Youth Development yet, but I’ve checked out the reports of my best JP coach, and there are a few weak spots, which is only to be expected.

Anyway,

Manager Profile

Squad

Club Facilities Information

HitchinTownFCbadge.png

Again this year I played around a bit with signing players but I just can't get into that, players I sign aren't my guys. Wasn't really sure where to go, England didn't do it for me last year but maybe this year it will, so I'm Hitchin' a ride. Couple of reasons to choose them: green and gold for the Aussie connection, and Fairly Basic youth recruitment is solid at this level, so hopefully I'll get some decent prospects in. Predicted to come absolute bottom, but I think there's enough about the squad to stay up. Finances will be an issue, will need youth to push for spots fairly quickly as I'm guessing we'll see a cut in wage budget next year, so keeping all the current squad beyond the season will be tough ... even keeping them all this season may not be possible, so many have contracts that need renewing for the season.

Facilities | Manager

I think some of you who are struggling need to remember that the hardest part of succeeding this challenge is the first couple of seasons. I expect to lose copious amounts of games in this first season and have terrible run of form on a regular basis, I pick and choose my tactics each game...luckily in the German league Dortmund II and Stuttgart II are terrible so i will attack them ferociously, where as 80% of the rest of the games I will play counter and the top 6 teams I will be defensive and try and limit big scorelines that affect morale.

Everyone who plays football manager wants to win every game and convincingly at that. It's just not possible with this challenge. Every time I get frustrated I go to my other saved game and play a few games and come back to this one after a period of relfection as to where I can improve.

@Vikeologist - I've got a couple of youngsters in my first team squad but I don't really rate players who are already in the game (real life players) due to knowing their potential is capped at a certain point, so I know they're not going to improve all that much (although one is wanted by German First Division team).

In Germany your youth players can't play til 17, I have a decent striker coming through the ranks who is constantly wanted by top tier teams with no bids coming. However I play with a poacher and he is a target man. So i'm debating whether to sell him if a bid comes in or change my tactics. I've just had a new youth intake and just 7 games left with no real danger of relegation. An update will be produced most likely today/tomorrow.

Depending on your tactics a targetman type striker can do well in a poacher/af role ... it's how I played at the start of my save last year.

The contract "negotiation" system was already my least favourite part of the game and I can tell it's going to be even more annoying to me this year, everyone on my team thinks they're a key player. :(

Depending on your tactics a targetman type striker can do well in a poacher/af role ... it's how I played at the start of my save last year.

The contract "negotiation" system was already my least favourite part of the game and I can tell it's going to be even more annoying to me this year, everyone on my team thinks they're a key player. :(

Yep, I've already flagged it up in general feedback forum the sillyness of wages...It is critical in this challenge.

Archived