FM 14 Big Euro Challenge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't be officially entering the challenge of course, but I'm starting a save following exactly these rules, just in Belgium. Gundo's thread last year was really dead and he hasn't put up the new one yet. Do you guys have a problem with me just keeping track of my Belgium save in here instead?

I won't be officially entering the challenge of course, but I'm starting a save following exactly these rules, just in Belgium. Gundo's thread last year was really dead and he hasn't put up the new one yet. Do you guys have a problem with me just keeping track of my Belgium save in here instead?

I think he plans to get one up shortly. Seeing Trier come up makes me want to come onto this one but I am enjoying Chile a lot so will put Trier on the back burner for now.

Yeah rlipscombe, I would love to say I believe you, but I just can't. ;)

I have my club, am at work, just want to be at home (Have a Russia Holiday game running), if I find any crippling Portuguese bugs I will be restarting, but still getting the same club.

Good Luck holding out til Oct 31st.

So after hundreds of re-loads I just couldn't get Wormatia to come up...so I have gone for:

Hessenkassel.png

KSV Hessen Kassel have today appointed former Sunday League jobber Ben Rollo as their new manager.

Hessen - who last season were promoted to the third tier of German football - have surprised a few people with this move, particularly as Rollo was quoted as saying "I'd give anything for the Wormatia job" a matter of hours before this appointment.

Die Lowen have a rich history and Rollo will have a tough task ahead as he attempts to mould the squad into a side capable of staying in the 3. Liga. He will need to look towards commanding centre back Matthias Rahn and young central midfielder Florian Nagel as he seeks to build a competitive side.

Good luck to everyone giving this challenge a go!

Well having just started building my spreadsheet, we currently have 6 entrants, 1 season completed, 2 players in Portugal & Germany, and 1 in Italy & Russia.

Hopefully use this to keep some stats throughout the challenge. (1 month inactivity will see a game recorded as inactive)

That 1 in Russia will almost certainly become a 0 soon LLR, i am looking like getting Smena KA relegated...

Just lost 5-4 and was 4-3 up with 15 mins to go as well... We are letting too may late goals in. Now need to win our last 5 games to stay up...EDIT: 1st 4th and 6th to play in those last 5 games.

Oh dear. Good Luck, hopefully you can manage to get your team up from drowning.

Sounds like a lot of goals?

Oh dear. Good Luck, hopefully you can manage to get your team up from drowning.

Sounds like a lot of goals?

Not previously, we just had to go all out since it was the team sat just above us .. Didn't work though. We have scored 41 in 36 games aaaand we are down. I was so desperate to play as these (or FC Sakhalin) i spent literally days trying to get them up on 13 to no avail and now i get them relegated at first attempt. The difference between the Eastern clubs to the Western Russian clubs is huge, hopefully i can come back and try again but for now i'll have a bit more of a play around .. I may try again in France actually can't remember the last time i played in France.

Not previously, we just had to go all out since it was the team sat just above us .. Didn't work though. We have scored 41 in 36 games aaaand we are down. I was so desperate to play as these (or FC Sakhalin) i spent literally days trying to get them up on 13 to no avail and now i get them relegated at first attempt. The difference between the Eastern clubs to the Western Russian clubs is huge, hopefully i can come back and try again but for now i'll have a bit more of a play around .. I may try again in France actually can't remember the last time i played in France.

Sounds similar to in Germany, the Eastern Clubs there were waaaay harder than the Western ones. Think it's almost a case of having to play Stoke long ball to win early games to stay up and build from there. (Buy a fast striker and two fast wingers, and have everyone else behind the ball always.)

Sounds similar to in Germany, the Eastern Clubs there were waaaay harder than the Western ones. Think it's almost a case of having to play Stoke long ball to win early games to stay up and build from there. (Buy a fast striker and two fast wingers, and have everyone else behind the ball always.)

I was playing with a big Left sided Wide Target Man and hoofing the ball up to him, it gave us a chance but we weren't beating the teams around us which really cost us. I didn't think the goals were too bad in Russia to be honest, highest scoring team has 67 lowest 31 (after 36 games).

I was playing with a big Left sided Wide Target Man and hoofing the ball up to him, it gave us a chance but we weren't beating the teams around us which really cost us. I didn't think the goals were too bad in Russia to be honest, highest scoring team has 67 lowest 31 (after 36 games).

Actually sounds like Russia is pretty good, Highest team should be about 2GPG, lowest under 1, is about right :)

Some of the Eastern German sides that are coming up on this FM look like decent prospects (Jena and Magdeburg is particular, both have very good starting facilities).

I was so desperate to play as these (or FC Sakhalin) i spent literally days trying to get them up on 13 to no avail and now i get them relegated at first attempt..

I remember trying to get Sakhalin promoted a few FM's ago, but gave up after far too many attempts and settled for Amur Blagoveshchensk who are situated on the Chinese border. I think I checked Sakhalin's reputation in the editor and it was just so, so low there was clearly no chance they were getting promoted, it was something like 100 when everyone else in their league was around 1000. Still, if anyone were ever to get them promoted, I'd love to give them a go. The chance to play Champions League football on an island in the Pacific Ocean is too tempting to turn down!

567px-Wormatia_Worms_logo.svg.png

Wormatia Worms has appointed young Norwegian Kristian Holm as their new manager. The club's history isn't much to brag about, but atleast it has one.

Will the EWR-Arena audience witness their team getting sent straight back down, or will this new mysterious Norwegian manage the ropes and keep them in the division?

Wage budget: £ 39,487 per week

Media prediction: 20th.

Good luck at Hessen Kassel, benrollo! IRL they missed out on promotion last season to the 3.Liga when they lost in the play-off to Kiel

Thanks london boy! I was doing a bit of reading up on them and noticed this, they obviously had a good core. I say 'had' because most of the squad left on frees a matter of days after me taking over! I have a major rebuild job on my hands - I'll post up a pre-season report later

Also, I am super jelly of you siLKEAPE - how many attempts did you make before Wormatia came up?!

Aloooot of reloads. I too wonder how many it was because I wasn't counting. I am actually still doing a few reloads to see if it is possible to get a team from the Bavarian league.

Good luck everyone.

I am not intending on getting FM14 as I want to continue with my Santa Eulalia FM13 game. Although I don't think that this is the 1st time I have said this at the release of a new game and then still bought it!

Anyway, for anyone playing in Spain the Wiki page for the Tercera division has a map for each group so you can easily see where each club is from and is in relation to others. Could be useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_Tercera_Divisi%C3%B3n

Well congrats siLKEAPE! You have given me the belief that it can be done - so if things don't work out with Kassel, I'll be giving them a go (just don't tell my board that)

552px-KSV_Hessen_Kassel.svg.png

Hessen Kassel Pre-Season Report 2014-15

As soon as I joined the club, I was told that about 15 players were due to leave the club when their contract expired IN TEN DAYS. I didn't have much time to get offers in, and even when I did some of the players were asking for ridiculous wages. Take star player Stefan Muller. I offered him maximum everything - wage, sign on bonus, appearance fee, even my office. But he wanted QUADRUPLE the wage I was offering. So off he went!

So realising that my squad would be severely depleted in a weeks' time, I had to go out and find some players. First off I grabbed two handy scouts - Wolfgang Damm and Abderrahim Ouakili - and sent them off to find me some replacements. Both scouts rated Austrian striker Harun Sulimani very highly, so he was my first priority. It took a massive contract, but I managed to snap him up on a free.

A number of other players followed (Transfer History), with a notable Brazilian signing in the shape of 30-year old goalkeeper Roger. I had managed to get him in on a trial before offering a permanent deal. My focus was on building a strong spine that would keep it tight at the back, so I also picked up defender Marco Kehl-Gomez, who was rated very highly by both my scouts.

I also picked up a couple of loanees to help strengthen the side, with Italian striker Giuseppe Pisano joining from Gladbach and Ghanaian winger Okyere Wriedt coming in from St Pauli.

I won three and lost one of my pre-season friendlies. I conceded a goal or two more than I would have liked, but it seems we have some good attacking prowess that should see us score a few goals this season as we do our best to avoid the 20th place finish that most people are predicting for us.

KSV Hessen Kassel 2014-15 Opening Day Squad

Oh, and one final thing. England won the World Cup. I think this save might be bugged...:D

Just seen you mention the number of goals LLR, there is a massive issue with the number of goals in the lower leagues atm. I did a test in Portugal, and in the third tier the number of goals/game was around 4.5-5 which is around 2 more than IRL. Whereas in the Portuguese Premier league the goals scored was about right, only 0.30 more than real life per game, but that can be seen as natural variation rather than an issue. SI are aware of it and are hopeful of fixing before full release. This is why I'm refraining from starting a small club save until it's sorted.

Just seen you mention the number of goals LLR, there is a massive issue with the number of goals in the lower leagues atm. I did a test in Portugal, and in the third tier the number of goals/game was around 4.5-5 which is around 2 more than IRL. Whereas in the Portuguese Premier league the goals scored was about right, only 0.30 more than real life per game, but that can be seen as natural variation rather than an issue. SI are aware of it and are hopeful of fixing before full release. This is why I'm refraining from starting a small club save until it's sorted.

Based on a very small sample size (just the holiday season from my save), this doesn't appear to be too much of a problem in the German 3. Liga. An average of 2.35 goals/game, whereas last season IRL had 2.51 goals/game.

Based on a very small sample size (just the holiday season from my save), this doesn't appear to be too much of a problem in the German 3. Liga. An average of 2.35 goals/game, whereas last season IRL had 2.51 goals/game.

The detail level would have been none mate, as you weren't managing in that league and I doubt you manually set the detail level for the 3. Liga to 'All'. This means the results would have all been calculated on what the game has been told is 'about right' and based on team reputations rather than all the matches being simulated in the match engine like it is when you're managing in the league. So take a look at the scores this seaosn when the detail level with be set to 'all' :).

Here we go again. This time with an actual eligible club.

es4i.jpg

FC Carl Zeiss Jena have announced, that the man to bring the club back to its previous glory is the unknown danish manager Preben Bjørnsen.

He is said to be thrilled to take over a club with such a vast history. Jena was a great club in the previous DDR, and won the East German championship three times in 1963, 1968 and 1970. They also finished as runners-up in the European Cup Winners Cup in 1981.

They play at the Ernst-Abbe Sportfeld which can host 12.990 spectators, and is located in Jena in the Thuringia region of Germany.

Yeah rlipscombe, I would love to say I believe you, but I just can't. ;)

I have my club, am at work, just want to be at home (Have a Russia Holiday game running), if I find any crippling Portuguese bugs I will be restarting, but still getting the same club.

Good Luck holding out til Oct 31st.

unfortunately I don't have an awful lot of choice as my brother is buying it for me as an early Christmas present. I am in the process of buying a house and I don't think the wife would be too happy with me splashing out for it myself right now!

We are constantly monitoring the Match Engine for things like goals scored and conceded, these are a delicate balancing act. In the meantime, please bear with us. Thanks. :)
is what answer I got...weird.

unfortunately I don't have an awful lot of choice as my brother is buying it for me as an early Christmas present. I am in the process of buying a house and I don't think the wife would be too happy with me splashing out for it myself right now!

Oh understand that. Only reason I was able to is because the wife and I put spending money for ourselves within the budget for things we want, and I generally in about July just start putting $10 aside so I can get it. Don't worry I'll be looking forward to you joining :)

Hessenkassel.png

2014-15 Season Summary

Final Position: 13th (League Table)

Best Signing: Jeff Gyasi - 7.47 Average in 36 league games (Transfer History)

Squad News: I'm about to lose a few players on frees, but happy with the side overall (Squad)

Manager Update: I got a two-year contract! (Manager Profile)

Comments: Pretty happy with 13th overall! Things got off to a mixed start, beating Bayern II 2-1 away first game and then getting trounced 7-0 at home to Munster a few games later. This was pretty much the story of the season - we'd win one, then lose one. We did manage to set two records for results - the longest run without a win (six) and the longest undefeated run (also six). So a mixed bag, but a great end position that we'll try and build on next year.

Archived