FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

Just a couple of questions.

Why would windowed mode decrease the responsiveness of the interface (as per the warning)? I've always played in windowed mode and whilst I know my PC would never struggle with FM (it's a gaming rig), I'm just curious as to the reasoning.

Secondly - what would you say is the best way to experience the game? Full screen or windowed? In the past I've never felt like full screen was necessary - sure, more information was displayed but everything you needed to know was in windowed mode and took up much less screen estate.

...and finally - any chance of a full-screen borderless mode?

About to get cracking with the game - initial impressions are that the interface is very snappy and looks great¬

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So.many.bugs.

I know this is not a bugthread, but I have to comment on the apparent return of and spawn of a huge number of bugs, I thought squashed in FM13. I can mention the widgets resetting in matches, errors with the panels in team view acting strange, this time when switching to 125% zoom and then clicking the autowidem on ex. teamposition, teams rejecting loan offers without explanation even though all demands are met...

The match engine seems off as well. The ice-capade is back and the are some strange rebounds off players in strange positions.

But I am only one match in, and this is a beta, so many of these annoyances will be gone come gold-time. All of them, I hope... for a change.

PS: Please stop writing you are downloading the game! This is for feedback, so stop being narcissistic.

If you are seeing lots of bugs, it would help the development of the game if you could constructively detail the things you are seeing in the relevant areas of the Pre-Release Beta Forum.

The bugs logged in Pre-Release are very important, and whilst they won't all get fixed immediately, they will get looked at and reviewed over time.

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/341-Football-Manager-2014-Pre-Release-Beta-Bugs-Forum

First impression of ME is very good, im not a 3d fan but the new ball movement and flight looks so much better in 2d classic

edit - second impression is i love it! Scoring some lovely fluid goals and my team and players are playing like ive asked them too! So far so very VERY good! Millions times better than Beta fm13

Agree. I play in 2D classic as well, and I feel the match engine is looking very good at this stage.

• Administrators
My game won't even run. I have posted in bugs forum, would be grateful if someone would look at it please.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/363641-Can-t-even-run-the-game!!!

I have a Alienware x51 so I know I have the specs etc.

Have replied now, thanks.

in preferences you have this:

2mpdYgiTAAxeZgenr7nO.png

that specify's all folders for custom content...

so for instance... i just moved over my graphics folder to that location and adjusted the config files and voila

Thanks for that... what do you mean by "adjust the config files" please?

Had a little play earlier. I loved the new match engine. It's much clearer, a bit more HD maybe? The gameplay is smoother, and the players don't stand quite so up-right :)

Transfers and press conferences seem greatly improved. I signed Enzo Zidane for free, and in the press conference after I signed him, I was asked about Real Madrid and their choice to have a Director of Football. I thought that was a nice touch that adds depth. The new way of negotiating transfers is great too, it's very much like the boardroom requests if you will. Gone are the days when you make an offer to loan a player, and 3 days later they reject it. You now know whether they'll be willing to let him leave on loan before you even make the offer. You can't even offer a loan deal if they are unwilling to let him leave on loan! It's so nice to be able to make a transfer offer and then see what the other club asking for straight after you make the offer, which is probably more like real life.

The player values seemed to have differed too. Messi is valued at 63 million, where as before it seemed that 30-40 million was as high as players got in terms of value. So hopefully when we sign players for 50 million+, they don't stand out like a sore thumb atop the player value table.

It'll be interesting to see if the inflation on transfers has changed, although I do get the feeling by season 2020, we'll be signing players for 140 million again. However, I may be wrong. It just seemed ludicrous that you'd offer for a player worth 35 million, and they'd want 130 million. I have faith in SI though!

One other thing that I hope will be improved this year is the contracts. On the last game, a free agent Wesley Snjider wanted £150,000 a week. He then signed for Feyenoord and was on £30,000. So far, it does seem that players want less than last year though. Usually a top prospect would want at least 10k, even if they were 16, and that seems to have gone from this years game.

So far, so good!

Started a game with Stockport and I do not know if this is a new thing or a bug.

I sold an under 21 player ( he is 19), he was a decent prospect but I need him off the wages, I seen Huddersfield were interested so I offered him to them for 2k, they accepted and when he had agreed terms it came up that he was joining them as an under 18s coach which I found a bit strange.

As I said not sure if this is a new thing, seemed a shame for him to end his playing career already, he did seem to be an okey prospect for the lower leagues.

Ok, if it's not too much hassle could you copy and paste the line of the config file that needs updating (or tell me specifically what needs adjusting) please. thanks

in fact.....i just rerouted the path to my existing fm user folder (the same one i've been using for many previous incarnations) and my graphics have all appeared in the game. No adjustments neccesary

I know many people don't notice this, but I REALLY appreciate the fact that the game now makes sound even when the window is now longer "in focus". Lets me run matches on my secondary monitor while multitasking. Especailly since the new version of KSP is supposed to drop today as well. Man, FM on one monitor, Kerbals on the other...

Today is a good day.

• SI Staff
Started a game with Stockport and I do not know if this is a new thing or a bug.

I sold an under 21 player ( he is 19), he was a decent prospect but I need him off the wages, I seen Huddersfield were interested so I offered him to them for 2k, they accepted and when he had agreed terms it came up that he was joining them as an under 18s coach which I found a bit strange.

As I said not sure if this is a new thing, seemed a shame for him to end his playing career already, he did seem to be an okey prospect for the lower leagues.

This does sound odd could you post in here http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/349-Transfers-Contracts-and-Responsibilities with a save for the issue so we could take a look please.

Will also add, this seems to get brought up every year but why is there no dark skin?

I know it is just the beta release but it really is hard for me to play for any length of time while staring at the white screen.

As I said this gets brought up every year, I really wish SI would include a dark skin from the off, surely it would not take that much work to have it included for the beta release.

Will also add, this seems to get brought up every year but why is there no dark skin?

I know it is just the beta release but it really is hard for me to play for any length of time while staring at the white screen.

As I said this gets brought up every year, I really wish SI would include a dark skin from the off, surely it would not take that much work to have it included for the beta release.

It's actually a lot of work to maintain more than one skin at the same time, so what happens is, we tend to work on the default skin until it's pretty much complete, and only then, would we consider other alternative skins based off of the default skin. This reduces development time, as otherwise we'd have to fix certain issues twice over.

It's actually a lot of work to maintain more than one skin at the same time, so what happens is, we tend to work on the default skin until it's pretty much complete, and only then, would we consider other alternative skins based off of the default skin. This reduces development time, as otherwise we'd have to fix certain issues twice over.

Seems fair enough, thanks for the answer.

I will look forward to the dark skin being added.

Why "B" teams still not worth for anything? We can't disponibilize one player of the main team to play for the "B" team without sending him to there, and if we send players to the "B" team they don't make a significant progress.

Anyone from SI?

Oh for the love of god why do things that get fixed in one version get broken again in the new one.

Widgets do not remember their location.

In FM13 you had to move them everygame, now you have to move them several times during a game!

Oh for the love of god why do things that get fixed in one version get broken again in the new one.

Widgets do not remember their location.

In FM13 you had to move them everygame, now you have to move them several times during a game!

Post it in the bugs/issues forum and hopefully it will get fixed before release this time.

Only 3 pre-season games in, but having known this to be a problem on previous incarnations of the game I thought I'd mention it:

- The woodwork is getting hit at a ridiculous rate. 5 times first game, 4 second, 7 (!) in the third...

that is very silly . when we have done a poll on this here ,. to which skin is better ..dark is way out in front ...

so the silly part on your side is .... why don't you start with the dark skin 1st

Anyone else seeing the pre-season odds for the title are a little high? Man Utd favourites for the title at 16/1 whereas my Man City side are 3rd favourites at 25/1.

There are going to be some bankrupt bookies if thats anything to go by :D

Problem already, just gone through my intro to the club with the chairman. I then get introduced to my assistant and we start the meeting. Clicked on his name to look at his stats and then clicked back.

This took me to my main home page and my meeting has vanished.

Problem already, just gone through my intro to the club with the chairman. I then get introduced to my assistant and we start the meeting. Clicked on his name to look at his stats and then clicked back.

That was the case with fm13 too... Report it and it will hopefully get sorted...

• Administrators

Can you raise this in the bugs forum please? - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/341-Football-Manager-2014-Pre-Release-Beta-Bugs-Forum

Fantastic as always lads, but my only issue so far is that my Windowed mode is greyed out and I cannot click it

A little look around would find 3 or 4 closed threads about the same issue.. it's that your resolution is set too low ... so windowed mode isnt available

Dunno where to put this, since it's not really a bug, so I'll put it in here.

For Elgin City, Brian Cameron can't play centre mid. It's pretty much the only place he's played all of this season. Also seems criminally under-rated compared to the other Elgin players, but that's subjective.

Dennis Wyness starts in the reserves & transfer listed - he's a starting 11 player.

that is very silly . when we have done a poll on this here ,. to which skin is better ..dark is way out in front ...

so the silly part on your side is .... why don't you start with the dark skin 1st

The poll on here wouldn't be reflective of the entire user base – it's just a small sample and it wouldn't be wise to base a decision like that on such small data. The choice of skin and colour scheme is a personal preference, yours happens to be the dark skin.

Interestingly of the many people I've come across who have struggled with bright skins, the majority have not had their monitors calibrated correctly and therefore they tend to suffer from colour reproduction and brightness problems that are not actually present in the light based skin. A widespread problem, not just for us and our game however, but extends to plenty of other applications and even colour critical situations – like viewing photos.

The poll on here wouldn't be reflective of the entire user base – it's just a small sample and it wouldn't be wise to base a decision like that on such small data. The choice of skin and colour scheme is a personal preference, yours happens to be the dark skin.

Interestingly of the many people I've come across who have struggled with bright skins, the majority have not had their monitors calibrated correctly and therefore they tend to suffer from colour reproduction and brightness problems that are not actually present in the light based skin. A widespread problem, not just for us and our game however, but extends to plenty of other applications and even colour critical situations – like viewing photos.

Edited for lack of reading comprehension.

Archived