FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

I haven't bought a Football Manager since the 2011 edition but I've played the 2013 one briefly. Is it time to purchase the 2014, is it worth it? It's quite expensive on Steam at present.

I would wait if I were you, at least until a couple of days after release. There a lots of bugs - just read this topic - that shouldn't exist 1 month before the release. Just hold your horses - you will be grateful you did.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The widgets (?) move during the game if you go into "tactics" for example. When you cme back to the game, the widgets have moved and often stacked on top of each other.

I am sure this has been brought up already, but it is seriously annoying..! :-) But it is beta, so no harm done.

The widgets (?) move during the game if you go into "tactics" for example. When you cme back to the game, the widgets have moved and often stacked on top of each other.

I am sure this has been brought up already, but it is seriously annoying..! :-) But it is beta, so no harm done.

It's a known issue, and has been mentioned a few times in the thread. It's on the SI radar.

That reminds me - I've always thought that the representation of certain attributes doesn't make sense in that they are necessarily byproducts of others.

Example: in FM it is possible for a striker to have a high finishing attribute but terrible technique and consistency, resulting in him scoring very few goals. If a real-life striker had terrible composure, terrible technique and was awfully inconsistent, and consequently missed lots of chances then it would be impossible to describe his finishing as 'good'. His finishing ability, his ability to put the ball in the net when given a chance, is the sum of other attributes, not something that can exist independently of them.

Similarly, it's bizarre and nonsensical to say of a player, "He's amazing at penalties, but thanks to his lack of composure and diabolical technique, he doesn't score all that many of them" or "He's a fantastic tackler but thanks to his physical weakness and absence of determination, frequently comes out worst in challenges." If your various shortcomings stop you from scoring penalties, you're bad at them and if you don't win tackles, you're a crappy tackler. No?

I realise this might be a tad off-topic so maybe I'll set this debate up somewhere else, if there is even one to be had.... I've thought of a couple of potential holes in my point already to be honest

Well said!

That reminds me - I've always thought that the representation of certain attributes doesn't make sense in that they are necessarily byproducts of others.

Example: in FM it is possible for a striker to have a high finishing attribute but terrible technique and consistency, resulting in him scoring very few goals. If a real-life striker had terrible composure, terrible technique and was awfully inconsistent, and consequently missed lots of chances then it would be impossible to describe his finishing as 'good'. His finishing ability, his ability to put the ball in the net when given a chance, is the sum of other attributes, not something that can exist independently of them.

Similarly, it's bizarre and nonsensical to say of a player, "He's amazing at penalties, but thanks to his lack of composure and diabolical technique, he doesn't score all that many of them" or "He's a fantastic tackler but thanks to his physical weakness and absence of determination, frequently comes out worst in challenges." If your various shortcomings stop you from scoring penalties, you're bad at them and if you don't win tackles, you're a crappy tackler. No?

I realise this might be a tad off-topic so maybe I'll set this debate up somewhere else, if there is even one to be had.... I've thought of a couple of potential holes in my point already to be honest

I'd love to be part of that discussion...

Imo, there isn't too much wrong with the finishing set-up as it is. Finishing is how accurate his finishes are, with no influences. Add a defender or two who are closing him down quickly and suddenly his composure comes into play.

Just one thing that is really bugging me, the lack of shots my striker seems to be taking, for example my last game I had 26 shots, my striker who I play up front on his own as a poacher, had zero of these shots. i think that would be impossible. I have him set up to " shoot more often" as well , my 3 attacking mids behind him have the majority of the shots even though i have them all set to " shoot less often" . seems very unrealistic and quite annoying. don't know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. It's lewandowski in case anyone wondered not some donkey :)

Just one thing that is really bugging me, the lack of shots my striker seems to be taking, for example my last game I had 26 shots, my striker who I play up front on his own as a poacher, had zero of these shots. i think that would be impossible. I have him set up to " shoot more often" as well , my 3 attacking mids behind him have the majority of the shots even though i have them all set to " shoot less often" . seems very unrealistic and quite annoying. don't know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. It's lewandowski in case anyone wondered not some donkey :)

Might be worth looking/mentioning in the tactics forum, they're bound to have a theory :)

Might not be possible to do at the moment, but something that I would like to see in the game is the ability to see which leagues you have playable and which leagues you have as view only by clicking the mode tab. So for example this is how it currently looks:

r2WrGvj.png

When you so what I do and load as many as I can and set the ones I'm not using as view only working out what you have as each is a nightmare!

I can't remember the official term, but like here where I have set the ability to be listed in order:

tjjAvju.png

I'd like to see something like that on this screen, to just separate the "view only" and "playable" teams

Does he actually get the ball? Easy for a poacher to get lost in a sea of defenders if the opposing team is parking the bus.

The team ratings screen for the widgets changes between the teams. I want to just look at my team but it seems to change based on who's home or away.

I've had a similar problem, but it's that I have both ratings widgets open and every time I re-open the full screen pitch view, the two ratings widgets are in exactly the same place, overlapping each-other.

What I would hope is that it follows this logic:

Widget A is used to display "the team the manager controls", whether home or away, Widget B is used to represent "the team the manager doesn't control", whether home or away. That way you can always keep track of your players and their ratings always appear in the same place. If the manager doesn't control either team (i.e. traveling somewhere to scout a game) Widget A represents "the home team" and Widget B represents "the away team".

I've posted my concern regarding the camera-man positioning in 3d animation (please refer to post number #1039 and #1104). I've yet to receive some form of respond. As such, i'd like to post my concern again.

Doesn't the positioning of the camera-man bothers anyone..? I'd recalled that someone brought up this matter and it's said that the positioning is wrong, as it should've been behind the ads board and it'll be corrected during our current FM, ie FM2014. However, the camera-man is visible in the current FM2014 beta version. The irony is, it wasn't there in the Pre-beta #FM14 Match Engine Footage.

Is it possible for us to have it removed or unticked as what we can do with stadium, cloud and scenery..?

Thank you.

Had a bit of time with the game now so here's a few thoughts, not going to type up every issue so don't worry! I'm aware that a lot of stuff raised will already have been mentioned, and probably fixed, by now so apologies if I repeat anything that's already been brought up.

1) I like being able to pick my hometown & my favoured formation from the profile screen. My only gripe with this is that I'm from York and it takes forever to scroll down to the bottom of the list to pick my hometown club, surely it would be much easier if you could save this in the preferences section like all your other information rather than it just pop up everytime you add yourself onto the game? Alternatively I'd like to see a scroll bar added so we can drag it down.

2) I'm comfortable with the current skin, however it would be nice if there was a darker option for those who are struggling.

3) In FM13 I had 1 gold star ('Poor') for my PC graphics rating, which was fine. I set it to recommended & just let it do it's thing. When I've looked at my 3D rating for FM14 there are no gold stars, however when I hover my mouse over the graphic it states it's an 'Excellent'... surely this isn't right?! Again, I've set FM14 to use recommended settings, & it's decided to go with 'Very high', which I guess would make sense if it really believes my graphics capabilities are excellent. Skipping a bit ahead of myself, I've played matches with this setting & it does run, I was quite surprised. It's by no means perfect, a bit jerky in places but is definitely better than what I'm used to. All a bit confused by this, I like being able to watch games in 3D but I'm also not expecting anything to blow me away graphically here. I just want to know which settings to use in order to make the game room smoothly.

4) When setting up a game & choosing nations there doesn't seem to be too much difference regarding game speed, I usually use a large database & have around 30,000 players loaded. For me, 3 & a half stars drops down to 3 stars at 34,000 players, whereas in FM13 it dropped down at 36,000 players.

5) On the 'New Game Overview' screen I like the new 'Prevent teams which already have managers from being controlled' tickbox... not catchy but a nice little addition.

6) First of all, I think some of the buttons are a bit muddled, their style differs and doesn't always look right. Some have very sharp edges, while some are softer & rounded. I prefer the look of latter, I think FM13 had this about right, although I seem to recall that too took me a bit of gettingused to so maybe it's just that.

7) I think the coloured bars at the side of the news items are too thin, which make them difficult to see, as they are they serve no real purpose. Just making them a little bit wider would make a great deal of difference.

8) I like the look & content of the messages from the chairman at the start of the game, they seem to hold a lot more information than they have in previous versions. I should add that the background info on the club is also presented in a much better format and is definitely more interesting to read.

9) Additional options when meeting the club's assistant manager, such as being able to suggest exactly which areas of training you'd like him to deal with and with which squads, could come in very handy.

10) Glad your assistant will now suggest holding a team meeting to introduce yourself to the players, it's something I've forgotten to do on a few occasions & can be really beneficial to squad morale.

11) When meeting your staff it's nice that there's no longer repeated suggestions for penalty, free-kick & corner takers, they've all now been condensed into one message which is much better.

12) There's now more space on my manager homescreen which means I can fit an extra info box in, which is always handy having more detail at hand rather than having to go to a certain menu to get it.

13) I've seen this mentioned previously but in the league table & cup competitions your own team isn't highlighted, which isn't exactly a game breaker but it can be a little annoying at times.

14) Another issue I've seen mentioned previosuly is the sorting of squad screens, again not game breaking but frustrating all the same.

15) On the tactics screen, the bars underneath the players name, which have replaced the dots to show a players suitability, are difficult to see and the 2 green options can at times be difficult to distinguish. I know there's limited space but making these thicker would be helpful.

16) Team instructions! There's been a lot of talk about the removal of sliders, & whether or not people like the new system it seems it's here to stay. Personally I think it's a real improvement, and it feels much more realistic to give proper instructions to your team. I don't see myself as a tactical genius but I've always done reasonably well on FM, I never really used the sliders an awful lot though. I'll be much more inclined to use these, especially with the colour coding, that helps to make sure you aren't contradicting yourself.

17) Individual instructions! As above! The only issue for me here is that you're unable to save player instructions to a particular tactic, eg. if you play Jack Wilshere on the left side of centre midfield in all 3 tactics but want him to have different instuctions in each formation due to who he's partnered with then you're going to be disappointed. I read elsewhere in the thread that this problem is something SI are looking into for the future but I guess it's too late for FM14 now.

18) The training overview screen is much better presented and more engaging.

19) In 'Staff responsibilities', a scounted player being added to your shortlist is no longer the default option. Don't really think this is a huge change, I can see positive & negative aspects to this, however whatever your stance it can be changed.

20) Being able to ask your DoF/Assistant to recommend transfer targets/loan signings from the 'Transfer Targets' tab in your 'Transfer Centre' I'm sure will be a really helpful feature... when people realise where it is! I'm read there may be a few issues with it but I'm sure if there is they'll be sorted out.

21) Scouting... love the colour coded world map! :)

22) Haven't had much of a chance to explore the finances, however I'm sure those screens will become very important for anyone who's in it for the long haul & wants to look at projected income for FFP etc. Speaking of finance, I like how you now get a world shirt sales round up at the bottom of your monthly summary.

23) There are a few new options in the boardroom, again I've not had much of a chance to use them but they look like nice, potentially useful additions.

24) Staffing, looks a bit confusing as coaches & physios are now lumped together as "other (Squad) staff" but it's simple enough to work out and is just another thing that needs a bit of getting used to.

25) The match engine. While I've still got the issue of exactly what settings to run it on, it does look better and it's evident the game's in a better state now than last year. Several issues have been reported including GK distribution, defending and tackling so there's no point me listing them here... I'm sure there'll be a fix for those coming. I haven't had seen any other bugs than those already listed on the pages above, and fingers crossed, I've had no crashes or other issues either.

All in all, for a Beta I'm quite impressed. Hopefully by giving us all early access we'll see a much better game come the 31st.

When I was playing last years beta, there were many things wrong, and I'll admit, I lost my head, I ranted and raved on here etc, which was wrong. That being said, for all the criticism SI get, they deserve praise for the good things they do, and I've been playing the beta for a while now, not really seen anything game breaking or any issues with the game, even though it's still the beta. So, credit goes to the team for that, well done SI.

Why ruin the night games :(

I used to love the night matches playing in Spain, but with fm 14 it's so bright that it looks like a day match. Clearly the pitches and lighting have not been worked on. I tried to reduce my brightness but it changed nothing in terms of the the way it like looks. I actually hate night matches now looks awful!

I played half of the first season with Liverpool. I never feel very comfortable in any of these matches :) So I can't agree to people saying that the game is so easy.

I don't know is it about the Liverpool team, tactic creation (Which I am good at) or something else. But I find the game very hard and mostly very realistic.

However the game is very realistic in terms of graphics and animations of the players,

there are still very important unrealistic aspects which are effecting the sustainable playability of the game very much.

- I gave special attention to both attacking and defending set pieces in match preperation. But I find only 2 goals from corners none from freekicks.

The worst part is, I conceded nearly 60 percent of the total goals from set pieces. And my assistant manager never warn me

about set pieces preperation during the game. So there is no balance between user and computer teams in terms of set pieces.

- I agree the discussions on defending. On the other hand, computer teams can defend very effectively. Defenders of computer teams can tackle, mark, intercept the ball very well.

So there is no balance between user and computer teams in terms of defending.

- It is difficult to create and complete chances by beating defenders using dribble skills. While computer team attackers are easily beating my 3 defenders and scoring by a really nice place shot,

my players can not!!.. So there is no balance between user and computer teams in terms of combining dribbling and finishing.

- It is really difficult to score in the game. Most of my shots are out of bounds, or saved by the goal keeper. Same thing happens to computer team too. I'm not expecting to score during all the chances.

But there are lots of clear chances, which my players can not score. The saddest thing is, I usually am beaten because of these missing chances. This is really effecting the sustainability of my playing experience.

- I watch highlights in extended mode. I think hassle and get stuck in shouts are not working in the game.

I usually don't see any defenders to turn into their goal keepers, send the ball to the out of line or to the opposition because of the pressing.

- In most of the games, my team fell behind because of these silly set pieces. I usually start the games 1-0 behind. I mostly won / tied these games in the nick of time.

It was really thriling in the beginning. But it is very exhausting right now :) Because I have to use all my managerial skills to turn the game my side every match.

I mean I'm talking about a game which I need to feel good while playing. Feeling exhausted?

I play all the cm/fm games since 1997. This game is a tiresome mix of reality and surreality. I don't want to lose to Swansea 5 times consecutively because of the missing clear chances,

one on ones, silly set pieces and defenders acting cinema audience.

I wish you can develop these parts of the game until the real game is out. Thanks.

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered but I've been following this thread for days I can't remember what I have and haven't read.

Anyway, my question is; where have the little crosses gone at the far right of each position on the Squad Depth screen? You used to be able to get rid of positions you didn't want to see - for example, I'll never want to play with MRs, MLs and SWs, so I'd like to remove them. But now there's seemingly no way to do this.

I have a couple of issues with the way transfer offers are now displayed in your inbox.

1) The "grouping" of transfer offers is a brilliant idea, but I think it could be further improved slightly. Say I accept an offer for a player, and then later receive a few new offers for that player which I wish to reject. Because the old accepted offer is listed in the news item, if I click "Reject All Offers" the game takes that to mean that I also want to reject the old offer which probably isn't the case. It would be good if there was a "Reject All New Offers" button to allow me to reject the new ones but not the old one.

2) This one is purely cosmetic, but I think it would be better to display the badge of the team who have made an offer somewhere. I'm pretty sure this used to be the case in the old game, and it provides another visual identifier. Even if there are multiple offers, I think it would be possible to include a small badge somewhere. It's not as though there's a lack of blank space.

Please fix the defensive players. They are way too strong. In top 30 per average rating, 24 players are defenders. Not only that but Stoke won the Premier League! Yes, Stoke. Their defenders were incredibly dominant.

RB: Solly 32 apps / 7.90 average rating

DC: Shawcross 36 apps / 7.94 average rating

DC: Huth 36 apps / 7.76 average rating

LB: Pieters 22 apps / 7.60 average rating

Shawcross and Solly are the best 2 players according to average rating in the Premier League. They are prime candidates for Player of the Year. I don't know what happened with attacking and midfield players but they seem to have less average rating than defenders by a big margin.

Fellaini and Sandro are the only non-defenders in top10 and they are both defensive minded players with not many goals and assists but a lot of tackles.

And please bring back the highlighting thingy, showing which team you are in the league tables etc.

QCbUQR6.jpg

Please fix the defensive players. They are way too strong. In top 30 per average rating, 24 players are defenders. Not only that but Stoke won the Premier League! Yes, Stoke. Their defenders were incredibly dominant.

Shawcross and Solly are the best 2 players according to average rating in the Premier League. They are prime candidates for Player of the Year. I don't know what happened with attacking and midfield players but they seem to have less average rating than defenders by a big margin.

Fellaini and Sandro are the only non-defenders in top10 and they are both defensive minded players with not many goals and assists but a lot of tackles.

And please bring back the highlighting thingy, showing which team you are in the league tables etc.

Was a similar thing in FM13

Finished my first season on Beta winning the EPL with Arsenal, while in UCL i finished with 1 point, really terrible.

But what bugs me is the final table in EPL, which is really opposite to real world, i'm happy that i won the epl but in reality you can't win it when you have 10 games lost, just look at the final table :

1a8x.png

Finished my first season on Beta winning the EPL with Arsenal, while in UCL i finished with 1 point, really terrible.

But what bugs me is the final table in EPL, which is really opposite to real world, i'm happy that i won the epl but in reality you can't win it when you have 10 games lost, just look at the final table :

It should't bug you, once you press continue for the first time you're no longer in the real world, also somebody else setting up exactly the same way as you could see a table which does resemble the real world.

And yet everybody is saying defending is rubbish.

Do you feel that's the case and it's the rating that's wrong or are your defenders actually playing that well?

Well there it is, the first rage quit of FM 14.

Can't get the team playing well, nothing seems to work , there is always some prima dona taking offence at my team talks and 75 million worth of strike talent have 10 goals between them by New Years day.

Try a little club with a nice name in Argentina Div 2 with no expectations in FMC and chill for a while :D

I like the interface and the new match engine. Some of the new interactions are pretty good but all my defenders look like they're being remote controlled by an eight year old. Zero tactical or positional awareness. I'm sure it'll be fixed before main release as they had the same issues last year but boy it's infuriating :eek:

One excellent feature I have noticed is club takeovers. I am playing as Sutton United in my 3rd season and as usual in the lower leagues, my board are trying to sell the club. The takeover started around 20th dec and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to buy players over the Jan window. However my chairman released a statement to say that unless the takeover process sped up so I could operate in the transfer window, he would cancel the takeover - which he done on 30th dec.

Top stuff!

And yet everybody is saying defending is rubbish.

Do you feel that's the case and it's the rating that's wrong or are your defenders actually playing that well?

This was talked about earlier in the thread, it's the same in my game. It's related to the amount of tackles they are making per game, which seems to be abnormally high . 17 out the top 20 players in the EPl are defenders in my game and all my back 4 plus subs are over 8.0 average. Defensive positioning seems to be crap, but I'm seeing some unbelievable tackles being put in when they do tackle.

This was talked about earlier in the thread, it's the same in my game. It's related to the amount of tackles they are making per game, which seems to be abnormally high . 17 out the top 20 players in the EPl are defenders in my game and all my back 4 plus subs are over 8.0 average. Defensive positioning seems to be crap, but I'm seeing some unbelievable tackles being put in when they do tackle.

Thanks for that, matches what I'm seeing.

Yeah, I was asking you about this earlier. Did the other defenders have similar tackle numbers to the 3 you mentioned earlier?

Yeah, I was asking you about this earlier. Did the other defenders have similar tackle numbers to the 3 you mentioned earlier?

Yeah, there are 15 players with 10+ TPG and key tackles seems to be very high as well.

Lucas , RVP and Giroud are the only 3 non defenders in the top 30 by AVR :)

Edit add in Lampard and Shelvey , Michu and Kenwyn Jones and the whole of the top 50 are defenders.

Yeah, there are 15 players with 10+ TPG and key tackles seems to be very high as well.

Lucas , RVP and Giroud are the only 3 non defenders in the top 30 by AVR :)

Cheers for that. I wasn't seeing too many more goals in tops leagues, despite the defensive errors. Yet seeing lots of goals in lower leagues. Given you are seeing high key tackle numbers, looks like top defenders are making up for the poor positioning issues due to their attributes, and lower level defenders are just getting battered.

Playing as Southampton, the board is unhappy that I have not signed more first team players for the first team although I brought in Mitrovic and Januzaj, both laying regularly. I do not understand - is it the squad status that gverns this? Does not make so much sense to me.

Add to that Ward-Prowse, Shaw and Chambers and I have a lot of very young and promising players on the pitch regularly.

Will this ever be sorted......

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187649122

This particular player has been a substitute for the majority of the season and a very sketchy av. rating of 7.06, miles behind my first choice wingers. So why on earth is a substitute on £625 a week suddenly requesting £3,400 ?! It's been going on at least from FM13 if not longer. I offered him a very generous £1,500 a week to renew his contract. It makes managing in the lower leagues virtually impossible and especially as I am doing the Euro academy challenge where I cannot sign any new players only rely on youth players...I cannot just simply let him go.

Someone please explain why he wants six times his current salary?!

Is it just me or do the majority of the simulated goals look like really bad defending/mistakes? Maybe my team is actually just defending really badly.. but I'm top of the league with Arsenal. The 3D engine seems less realistic than FM 2013.

Is it just me or do the majority of the simulated goals look like really bad defending/mistakes? Maybe my team is actually just defending really badly.. but I'm top of the league with Arsenal. The 3D engine seems less realistic than FM 2013.

it's very known issue and definitely will be fixed in full version

Archived