FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

In FM13 99% of the time only staff with salary demands you could afford would reply to job advertisments.

In FM14 people reply to job advertisments demanding 4x the salary you can offer. I have managed to swing a few people using the new contract options for staff (long contracts with wage rises), but still, is this change to the salary demand/job advertisment system a feature or is it accidental?

Any news on this one? It makes advertising for jobs far more stressful than it should be.

I'm also getting way too many player sales falling through from lack of funds, repeated by same team

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I just haven't found it... where can I tell my players to use the offside trap? Right now I really feel restricted. Can't make players play the way I want to. My keeper has duty defend, "pass shorter" and "distribute to defenders" but regularly plays a long ball into the middle of the pitch where we lose possession.

I like the way we can preset roles but we can't preset 'set pieces instructions' ?

For example if 'Michael Carrick plays on DMC , i want him to stay back .. if Fellaini plays Dmc i want him to challange goalkeeper'

I think this is not possible now ? will this be available in the future ?

Maybe I just haven't found it... where can I tell my players to use the offside trap? Right now I really feel restricted. Can't make players play the way I want to. My keeper has duty defend, "pass shorter" and "distribute to defenders" but regularly plays a long ball into the middle of the pitch where we lose possession.

IIRC, it is in the Team Instructions tab. There's a button called EDIT, to add shouts/instructions. One of the will be to play with offside trap.

Not sure if this is a bug or not...

I signed Will Hughes for Man Utd, and part of the transfer deal was that he'd be loaned back to Derby for the season. When the loan deal was completed, the feedback from the Derby fans was that they were surprised at the signing given that he'd only just signed for his 'previous employer'.

This was also the case when Zaha signed for Aston Villa on loan - in that the fan reaction was the same.

In the Will Hughes instance, I wouldn't have thought that the Derby fans would have been surprised by this. In the Zaha case, again it's not uncommon for players to be immediately farmed out on loan after signing for a big club so I'm not sure the surprise is realistic?

Just a thought!

IIRC, it is in the Team Instructions tab. There's a button called EDIT, to add shouts/instructions. One of the will be to play with offside trap.
Thank you! Now I found it.
Goalkeeper distribution is a known issue and is under review.
Good to know :thup:

Played last night for 3 hours, but didn't make it to the first friendly.

Still, my impressions: (btw coming from FM12 as I didn't like FM13)

- I like the inclusion of many things into the in-box a lot.

- I love many of the new options which make life easier and more logical (some of them were of course already in FM13)

- still the new UI takes me lots of time to get used to, even though I played 3 seasons on FM13 a year ago.

- That black box on the tactics screen is indeed really ugly. As is the pitch and the small jersey dots.

- I can't find any explanation wth an enganche, a regista and so on are in the game. Annoys me as apparently all my AMCs are best suited in the enganche role. Needs to be easier to find in case it exists.

- also still missing some other options, which may be a new-UI issue only. Where are for instance the options to have the U21s play the same tactic and so on?

- I see that scouting players doesn't auto-shortlist them anymore. Not sure if I like that. Now I have to shortlist them separately, or is there another option which I don't find in the new UI?

- The game does not tell me what the unwanted list or the transfer target lists do. Can one tell me?

Overall my first impression is that it's great. However FM always used to be pretty self-explanatory. It's still not as bad as Excel now, but there are certain areas and issues which make me feel lost and unaware of many options and opportunities. This is certainly an area with potential for improvement.

- I can't find any explanation wth an enganche, a regista and so on are in the game. Annoys me as apparently all my AMCs are best suited in the enganche role. Needs to be easier to find in case it exists.

If you set players to these Roles in the tactics screen, and hover the mouse over the short form of the Role (ENG for Enganche, RGA for Regista) a tool tip will appear to tell you the essence of the Role.

Another one.

I a player has more than one status sign on him (like "Wnt" and "Lst") then the first click will unveil all of them and only the second on the Wnt one will show you who is interested? Or do you have to click on that Wnt in a special way or place to get the desired info at the first click?

If you set players to these Roles in the tactics screen, and hover the mouse over the short form of the Role (ENG for Enganche, RGA for Regista) a tool tip will appear to tell you the essence of the Role.

Cheers. :)

I spent a full quarter of an hour on the tactics screen, looking for some tool-tip. But didn't find it.

Another one.

I a player has more than one status sign on him (like "Wnt" and "Lst") then the first click will unveil all of them and only the second on the Wnt one will show you who is interested? Or do you have to click on that Wnt in a special way or place to get the desired info at the first click?

First click reveals all statuses, second click on the relevant status should show you what you need. Nothing special required.

This I found last night after looking around like crazy to find the descriptions for the roles.

It is of course very visible when using the wizard to create a tactic, but not visible enough afterwards.

Did SI say too many goals in the games are being looked at or should I look at tactics?

13 goals in 2 games.

They said they investigate the poor defending which should result in less goals but you never know. Some people are complaining about too many CCC being missed, so im afraid there will be even more goals after the patch...

Ditto

The game is a huge improvement this year, but as always the glaring minor bugs make you wonder what testers have been up to...

Consider just how many thousand's and thousand's of small details there are in user interface and interactions.

Even an enormous testing team would struggle to test all this stuff, and SI don't have an enormous testing team.

Be thankful that the Beta is in such a good state. These minor glitches will gradually be ironed out.

Player added to unwanted list and Ive mentioned that Id accept (0) as a minimum price. My assistant informs me that two free offers were made but duly automatically rejected. Why has he done this?

When you post in the bugs forum can you please upload a screenshot of the players transfer options page as you have it set up.

I will admit to being a newbie when it comes to playing this series. My question for those currently playing the Beta is this, with the changes to tactics, shouts, etc. would you say that the changes make it easier for a newbie to pick up on how to play the game or is there still the large learning curve? I am not asking if it easier to win, but is it easier to understand how to play and thus easier to get started and continue on?

If you're a newbie to FM, but you understand football (the tactical side) it should be easier to understand because you don't have to unlearn "slider-thinking". I can see a few posters utterly trapped in 'sliderese', trying to translate tactical instructions into numbers - you're spared all that.

Could you tell me whether there is a difference between beta and demo version? Is this only about being able to play beta for half of a season? Cheers.

Opposite - beta you can play indefinitely (until the main game comes out) and demo can only play for half a season.

As a partially sighted FM player i am absolutely delighted with the new zoom settings. You have truly made my playing experience 100% better.

Thank you thank you thank you...

...on another note. I'm having a spot of difficulty with the 'customise view' options. The columns seem to have a mind of their own when trying to resize them. They just resize other columns and you end up with hardly anything being shown on the screen. I know it's beta so not a massive issue.

FM14 is looking like a world-beater.

Well Done Miles and Team!

• SI Staff
will the new game reflect the changes to the EPL in that there is far more money going to each club due to the tv deal....I read in Daily Mail in the Summer that winner this season would top of 100m(this would be their final place money plus the new tv deal cash.....I see in the beta that winner of EPL gets 25m, and when I have looked at the income of Man Utd from tv its nowhere near what it should be?? )

At what point of the season did you look at Man Utd's tv income?

Tv revenue is paid in monthly instalments and so the total amount will not have been paid until the end of the season.

It's been 3 days now. It'd be nice to have an update to the known issues list so we can see the progress you guys are making. It's this post I'm talking about: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/363570

Also would be good to know if we'll get a release without these known issues or they'll be fixed with a release-day patch as it's been every year. It's just good customer-producer communication you know :)

Why isn't there Ability Comparison panel on player profile screen? :( So many little annoyances where you have to switch between screens to get information that could have been served much easier.

I have validated my cache 3 or 4 times now, but I'm still getting this issue. I'm on a Mac, not sure if that makes a difference.

Got to the preferences and change "rendering" to software.

I'm sure there will be a wishlist thread coming along shortly. This is a thread about how things that are currently part of the game are functioning, not how you wish the game had been developed.

Well, I believe what I wrote in bold is not something of a wishlist.

• SI Staff
The U21 player aspect of the Premier League registration rules is incorrect. The cut-off date should be aged 21 or under on the 1st of January 2014, but the in-game rule is a mush harsher 20 or younger on the 1st of September 2013.

Thanks for the information, we are now having a look into this.

Really enjoying the beta so far, but there is one minor thing that's kinda bugging me. Whenever the press conference news item comes up, the option to let the assistant do the press conference is all the way down in the right hand corner. I'm playing FM on a second, 1280*1024 screen, so that's somewhat more of a 'distance' than on a, for example, 1600x1900 screen. I know this is a really small thing but if you ever get bored, might be cool to add a higher button.

I have played FM09 literally for years and only just updated to FM13 quite recently. I found the change from FM09 to FM13 quite daunting. This step seems to be much easier.

I would echo the sentiments of those who have already complained about the lack of a dark screen, however despite me wanting the choice, I am getting along fine without it, (where as I simply couldn't in FM13). That might be down to me recently setting/re-setting brightness/colour on a new laptop, so if the lack of a dark skin is causing you a problem then have a go.

I'm having multiple woodwork hit issues. Only just gone past Jan though so really just finding my feet still.

I like the way the match engine looks initially but some of the movements stand out as a bit awkward, (most are brilliant). GK movement seems a little poor especially but player movement in contact situations seems to be much improved.

Absent sliders is a challenge, but I think also an improvement too, (at least it will be when I get my head properly round them).

Windowed mode wouldn't work for me yesterday, (even when I tried the workaround posted elsewhere). Not a huge problem though and it's possible I was being stupid anyway.

One cosmetic thing that is bugging me is the houses/streets that appear outside the grounds, (especially when playing at a small ground). This looks good, really good actually, but only really works at all if there are actually houses outside the ground in real life. If there are car-parks/grass/trees/synthetyic pitches outside the ground, (as there are at The Hive/Barnet), then that's what I want to see. Showing me houses and streets that I know aren't there just seems.... silly. Show what's there or what's the point?

There seems to be a bit of as problem with the squad filters. It's fine on my own club but when I try to look at another club, the filters don;'t always seem to be working. I might be looking for just a central midfielder so have all left/right unticked and all gk's/defenders/attackers unticked, but even after that I am seeing players who can only play centre-half or right wing for example. Seems strange but doesn't happen all the time thankfully. Might just be individual players you never know.

The layout of the squad creen seems slightly wrong. You have the selected position down the left hand side and then you have the player name, but anything that you actually might want to look at, (dependant on which option you set the filter to, genera,l contract, transfer, selection, Asst reports etc, all the info seems squashed into the right hand side of the screen. Why does half the screen need to be taken up for just a name? It just doesn't seem to look right.

Can't watch this ME. It scares me to think they have 2 weeks to improve this. Although some improvements have been made, the bugs and glitches are just so painfully bad. I'm wondering if I'm paying an extra $10 this year for FM for the UI and eye candy improvements. Cause that's not what I want the focus to go on from the devs.

After 7 hours of playing, I'll be waiting for a patch, it's the first time I'm not going to play the game in Beta because of how unpolished it is.

The first time out of the two times they've done an early beta release? Shocking. And unpolished and beta kinda go hand in hand. I assume that the actual testers are playing a version more advanced than this one.

The first time out of the two times they've done an early beta release? Shocking. And unpolished and beta kinda go hand in hand. I assume that the actual testers are playing a version more advanced than this one.

Its not like the FM13 BETA was more polished than this one, far from it :D

I found that the assistant suggestions during a match disappeared before I could read them and decide how to respond. Not sure if this is because I had it set to the highest speed...

Click on the notification box, then match feed settings and change the 'show for' time to something longer.

Archived