Sports Interactive Community
Kriss

FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

Ok I've played 2 months of my first season on the BETA (the game tells me I've played 15 fixtures) and heres my feedback.

The 3D zoomed in looks great, really like the way the game looks, great for immersion.

I really like the fact that FFP has been included, gives me something to think about long term.

Some of the passing moves and goals look fantastic

No skating ice rink effect in the ME- Massive Plus for me.

Most interactions now taking place on the Inbox menu, it makes things so much quicker.

The Tactics interface works for me. I might not be a master tactician but at least I know that if I make a change then I'm getting exactly what I want to happen.

Cons

A lot of the goals I concede come from my defenders/players backing off as one of the opposition runs right at them to the point that other players are magnetically drawn in without making a tackle and an easy pass is left to someone in space to finish the move off.

There does seem to be an awful lot of goals outside of the games I am involved in. After 8 games in the SPL I have 9 teams on double figure goals scored and even Partick Thistle have scored 19 goals! Its perhaps a little free scoring in my opinion

So far much more pros than cons which is a massive improvement on how I felt about the FM13 Beta last year which for me was the worst version of FM I'd ever played.

Extremely well done and I look forward to the In game editor :)

No one wanted Flamini, I also offered him for free!

Best offer was 1 year loan with possibility to pay 0€ to get him during loan

You're not able to sell a player that has been brought into the club during the same window, that's how it should work and it has been like this since... forever?

dont know if anyone has raised these probleams before but

1. everytime a penalty is given in the match, the game crashes!

2. my performance stars rate both of game and computer droped dramatic.. from 2,5 and 3 stars to half a star.

You're not able to sell a player that has been brought into the club during the same window, that's how it should work and it has been like this since... forever?

Last year a message said me that I couldn't sell a player wich has just arrived, but now nothing. And this was just an example, same happened for Rosicky, Park Chu Young and Bendtner

Why only offer for a 14.5M-worth player was 5M while if I want a player of the same value I have to pay at least 20M??

Just an update:

I have unticked the "Crowd and Seats" match option and the game play is now a lot better. It is crazy how much smoother it now is "Very High" graphics level :)

The cursor changed to a football, and I can't change it back. I'd like to have the arrow back, but I'm not aware if that's possible. If your giving instructions during a game and it's time sensitive, you need to pause first. When you click an instruction, you're not always certain what it is you're clicking.

dont know if anyone has raised these probleams before but

1. everytime a penalty is given in the match, the game crashes!

2. my performance stars rate both of game and computer droped dramatic.. from 2,5 and 3 stars to half a star.

For your crashing issue can you please create a thread here for me? - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/342-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

Thanks.

Thanks for the information.

You are correct the same teams shouldn't be getting promoted from Serie D at the end of the first season each time. We are now looking into why this is happening.

OK.

I also noticed that league history is not being properly updated for some clubs. For example Barletta were 3rd in Serie C1/C (cant the division just be called Serie C/C?) in 2014-15, but in the beginning of 2015-16 the club's latest record is from 2013-14 (History -> Competitions -> Domestic Leagues & Club Overview graph). It may have some connection to the club having participated in promotion Play-Offs, as at least a few other clubs who also were in the Play-Offs are suffering from the same ailment.

Last year a message said me that I couldn't sell a player wich has just arrived, but now nothing. And this was just an example, same happened for Rosicky, Park Chu Young and Bendtner

Why only offer for a 14.5M-worth player was 5M while if I want a player of the same value I have to pay at least 20M??

Because you are trying to sell the player and the team you are purchasing the other player from is not.

makes sense, as i die hard offline saver i'd like to have the option back though.

How big are the save files this year? I'm on the cloud saving at the moment so I can't see the file. I'd be surprised if they are different sizes on the cloud and surely wouldn't require compressing?

I haven't read these 9 pages so forgive me if I am repeating anything other user have already mentioned.

So, since you guys are aware of the short corner error and the short throw-in error it seems that are some issues regarding the new tactical system.

As I wrote in other topics, I agree that roles must have logic and coherence but I think you should take in consideration that we all, as fm managers, should be able to customize any instructions we feel are the best for our team. But this, with the new system is not possible: for example, I cannot instruct an inside forward not to cross or I cannot instruct all my players to drop deeper.

Also, personally I believe it is an important issue to be have the possibility to shout (bench instructions) to my players "you need to calm down" "you need to work harder" and any other shouts related to moral and composure.

Another small issue : When Dede wants to discuss the fact that I haven't been playing him (I can't because of the bug already mentioned), my assistant recommends talking to him 'animatedly' about it, but when I go to talk to him the 'animated' attitude isn't selectable.

Not sure if this has been reported.

I have just played my second game of a new season, a 1-1 draw from the first game and then in the second game I won 2-1, on the after match screen I was looking at the league table and it was showing my team in 14th spot with only 2 points, I looked at the goals for and goals against, it was showing 3 for and 3 against, so it was showing I had drawn this game 2-2...man I was not happy :p

I then continued the game but it did correct itself and I was 4th in the league with 4 points and the correct goals for and against.

Sorry I could not get a screen shot of the after match screen, if it happens again I will screenshot it before I have a little rage and continue the game. :)

The last FM I played was FM11 so this is taking a bit of getting used to. I'm on a 14 inch ultrabook and tbh it's a bit of a struggle with so much information on each screen (and the undying obsession with a bright white UI!). Looking forward to my 24 inch monitor getting delivered at the weekend.

Issues with my small screen and brightness aside, it's really impressive how far the game's moved on. It just seems like so much more of a professional product now. I haven't got to playing any matches yet but the improved transfer system is what's impressed me so far. Definitely much more helpful. When you're only a few quid apart on a valuation it's much easier now to get it negotiated.

For the lower leagues, I really wish there was a way to filter through players based in your region of the country. When you're searching for "unrealistic" players who might be willing to step down for money, it's so frustrating thumbing through piles of people who don't want to "relocate."

I haven't read these 9 pages so forgive me if I am repeating anything other user have already mentioned.

So, since you guys are aware of the short corner error and the short throw-in error it seems that are some issues regarding the new tactical system.

As I wrote in other topics, I agree that roles must have logic and coherence but I think you should take in consideration that we all, as fm managers, should be able to customize any instructions we feel are the best for our team. But this, with the new system is not possible: for example, I cannot instruct an inside forward not to cross or I cannot instruct all my players to drop deeper.

Also, personally I believe it is an important issue to be have the possibility to shout (bench instructions) to my players "you need to calm down" "you need to work harder" and any other shouts related to moral and composure.

cant you instruct the team to drop deeper in team instructions?

Sorry if this has already been asked, during match names above player is very difficult to read. Anything i can do for this (apart from new glasses) :)

Can someone from SI tell me if they are going to do something about defenders backing off, too many shots and chances and absolutely schocking finishing? I´ve seen at least 30 one on ones vs keeper and I dont remebr a goal being scored from it. Its pretty sad actually.

It's 2008 again!

Keeper dist is is looking broke, I have defender collect (i can even see the defenders coming short to collect but 9/10 the keepers are just launching it. Not good for my tactic when playing one up top with a 4ft ST :(

33il.jpg

I'm sure there will be a wishlist thread coming along shortly. This is a thread about how things that are currently part of the game are functioning, not how you wish the game had been developed.

This post appears a bit confused?

You mention that a manager would never use a quantified measurement to communicate an instruction, and immediately after that, you state that all the top teams use quantifiable measures.....

Sorry, my first sentence was sarcastic - Mourinho (and most modern managers) are known for scientific (eg quantifiable, measurable) tactics so are far more likely to assign a number (eg 10 yards) that just a vague "push up the field". This was what sliders (albeit not perfectly) were to me - a quantifable measure - eg 2 clicks of defensive line may have equated to 10 yards or thereabouts.

Keeper dist is is looking broke, I have defender collect (i can even see the defenders coming short to collect but 9/10 the keepers are just launching it. Not good for my tactic when playing one up top with a 4ft ST :(

33il.jpg

This is an issue we are aware of and is being looked into.

I've re-installed and it's still pink post Windows 8.1.

Some people are reporting that if you update your graphics card drivers it should resolve this issue. Please try. If you're having difficulties doing so, please raise a thread on our tech forums here - community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/342-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

I also noticed that league history is not being properly updated for some clubs. For example Barletta were 3rd in Serie C1/C (cant the division just be called Serie C/C?) in 2014-15, but in the beginning of 2015-16 the club's latest record is from 2013-14 (History -> Competitions -> Domestic Leagues & Club Overview graph). It may have some connection to the club having participated in promotion Play-Offs, as at least a few other clubs who also were in the Play-Offs are suffering from the same ailment.

Nice spot, we are also now looking into why some clubs are not having their Competition Histories updated correctly.

The division can't just be called Serie C/C and in the first season both Serie C1 and C2 are present in game and we are unable to change the name of a competition mid-game, so it continues to be called Serie C1.

I'm sure there will be a wishlist thread coming along shortly. This is a thread about how things that are currently part of the game are functioning, not how you wish the game had been developed.

Tbf, this is a feedback thread and he's giving his feedback on a part of the game that he feels isn't functioning the way it should.

Good, so you are sticking with older versions so you can keep playing with sliders.

Guess we won't be needing your input in the "FM 2014 pre-release beta" thread anymore.

Take care.

Judging by the childish tone of your response, I imagine I have been playing the FM (and previously CM) series since before you were born. It's not easy to givde up on something you've invested so much time and money on.

The feedback thread is for feedback; my feedback is that I found the sliders far more quantifiable than a vague instruction. The example I've used previously is defensive line - totally to the left would be camped on the 6 yard line, each click would be around 5 yards further up. Quantifiable, logical and far better than a vague "push up" or "defend deep".

Tbf, this is a feedback thread and he's giving his feedback on a part of the game that he feels isn't functioning the way it should.
Judging by the childish tone of your response, I imagine I have been playing the FM (and previously CM) series since before you were born. It's not easy to givde up on something you've invested so much time and money on.

The feedback thread is for feedback; my feedback is that I found the sliders far more quantifiable than a vague instruction. The example I've used previously is defensive line - totally to the left would be camped on the 6 yard line, each click would be around 5 yards further up. Quantifiable, logical and far better than a vague "push up" or "defend deep".

I guess we could argue whether there is a difference between feedback on the way something works and whether or not it should exist at all. However, they clearly are not going to put sliders back into the game, so I don't understand how bemoaning their removal serves any purpose in this thread.

The example I've used previously is defensive line - totally to the left would be camped on the 6 yard line, each click would be around 5 yards further up. Quantifiable, logical and far better than a vague "push up" or "defend deep".

Given that the average pitch is around 115 yards long, your highest defensive line would be in the opposition penalty area using this logic ;)

I guess we could argue whether there is a difference between feedback on the way something works and whether or not it should exist at all. However, they clearly are not going to put sliders back into the game, so I don't understand how bemoaning their removal serves any purpose in this thread.

I suggest you look up the word 'feedback'. It isn't sycophantic chanting or blind support, giving an honest appraisal of what you feel is a retrograde step is fine. Why don't you offer some feedback on the game, rather a childish critique of other peoples comments?

Given that the average pitch is around 115 yards long, your highest defensive line would be in the opposition penalty area using this logic ;)

I thought there were only 10 clicks = 50 yards? So would be on half way line? Either way, it was an example to show the quantifiable, and logical rationale for sliders - obviously the numerical value would change depending on setting/no of clicks available, this was just a rough example.

I suggest you look up the word 'feedback'. It isn't sycophantic chanting or blind support, giving an honest appraisal of what you feel is a retrograde step is fine. Why don't you offer some feedback on the game, rather a childish critique of other peoples comments?

Good day to you, sir.

I thought there were only 10 clicks = 50 yards? So would be on half way line?

I wasn't a slider user, but believe there were 20 notches?

Lower league saves are brutal.

I do enjoy the challenge but last year you guys made it so the players took a long time to recover from a game, in the North and South they have games twice a week and you can never play the same side twice, I was fine with that but now with the way finances are set out we also have to work with a small squad, no adding 8 or 9 players pre-season now.

It is a good challenge and I am going to give it my best shot but I fear 2 or 3 long injuries (I already lost my main striker for 4 months) and it is goodbye to the season, it is very difficult to get loan signings in and as I said the money is just not there to bring in back up players, my next game (played 2 days after my last game) will have to be a few kids and a few knackered first team players.

As I said it is quite brutal in the lower leagues now!

I wasn't a slider user, but believe there were 20 notches?

Regardless, the point is regarding the quantifiable nature, which is there whether the are 5 or 100 notches - but not with shouts/instructions. I realise I am in the minority regarding this, but it is a sizeable minority who feel the game has been dumbed down or oversimplified.

I dont know if people are aware of this - I have heard it mentioned - but I'm definitely seeing a ridiculously high number of goals scored:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/576751633564131216/BCB315CE1F946BA93876AF5C485924A261BCE467/

Sounds like there are a couple of know issues playing into this:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/364136-Reviewed-Poor-defending-and-goalkeeping.

I'm definitely seeing it in my save. I'm to Oct 27th in my Ligue 1 save and the league is scoring 1.5 goals/game average. IRL Ligue 1 this season is at 1.16 goals/game, so it's probably too much to not be something that needs to be looked at. But it sounds like they already are.

Regardless, the point is regarding the quantifiable nature, which is there whether the are 5 or 100 notches - but not with shouts/instructions. I realise I am in the minority regarding this, but it is a sizeable minority who feel the game has been dumbed down or oversimplified.

Fair enough.

When you first started using sliders, how did you know that notch 1 on the defensive line set the line "on the six yard line"?

Did it expressly tell you that when you selected that setting, or did you have to watch a match to see?

Hi,

what do I have to do to press more through team instructions like in fm13? Do I have to instruct the team to "hassle opponents"? Seems to be a little bit too extreme (if it works like in the last fm). Or do I have to push higher up? Or even give every player the instruction to press more? Would be very happy for an answer.

I don't know how much my feedback will be considered or appreciated since I don't play the Beta. But here it goes.

My complains are strictly about the new tactical structure of the game.

I don't like the fact that we can't see the default instructions for the roles. IMO the descriptions have never been enough to determine which roles to choose for my players. I've always chosen roles based on the ability to see what their default instructions are. I'm not one of those users who tinkered with the sliders, but I used them as visual aids. Only occasional I might change one or two sliders or drop down boxes on the default instructions.

What is the point of being able to change the instructions for the roles, if we are not able to see what the defaults are? I don't like the fact that we have to assume what these defaults are based on the options of what we can change via individual shouts. In addition, these options do not gives indication what is the mentality and creative freedom for the roles, specifically the new roles. From memory, I know roughly what the settings are for the existing roles, but not the new ones, because I wont be able to see the default instructions for them.

Now, I'm also finding out that there is no option to select one playmaker and/or targetman, independent of the roles selected. I'm not happy with that either.

I read a statement from SI that the changes they've made regarding tactics in FM14 were about making the game more realistic, after they consulted with many people in football. I don't know who they talked to and what they were told, but these changes are not anywhere near "realism". IRL a manager knows and understands every instruction, every role and the changes from A to Z. Not knowing (aka "seeing" in FM) the default instructions is not realism in my book. In addition, I have reservations about some of the new roles introduced for FM14 - Halfback, Regista, Shadow Striker and False Nine. These reservations are mainly because of the lack of option to see the default instructions and having to go by limited/vague descriptions. For example, what is the difference in instructions between a Halfback and regular DM, what is the difference in instructions between a Regista and DLP (Regista is the Italian word for DLP, btw), what is the difference between a Shadow Striker and AM with Attacking duty, what is the difference in instructions between a False Nine, DLF support/CF support and Trequartista? When I say "difference in instructions" I mean all instructions - from mentality and creative freedom to runs off the ball/with the ball, through balls, wide play, etc.

I will end my feedback by saying that I'm a user who has played every edition of FM/CM for 20 years, since 1993. I've put up with a lot over the years, mainly with the tactical and training changes, as well as with the ME (especially last year). I've always been able to accept and adapt to these changes, especially when years ago they removed the Wibble Wobble, which btw was very close to realism if anyone has seen the video of how Sacchi was preparing the Italian National Team for WC 1994. When the TC was introduced, I embraced it. But I cannot accept and adapt to the changes made now - lack of visual for default instructions.

Therefore I wont be playing the Beta, the Demo or the full game.

The amount of Goals really is absurd. This really has to be sorted out. To be honest i really cant understand this even in a beta, but i have trust in SI. They will change that soon.