FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

Love the match screen, looks far more accurate, although worrying I scored from a near post corner, (not a header) and players missing sitters. also defenders seem to be sluggish. only headed goal was from a cross.

I am still working on the finer details of my tactic of course, but the attacking play seems alright.

but I did notice opposion keeper parrying into the danger area, defenders just stopping, and player STILL passing instead of shooting.

I was facing Porto so the keeper and defender thing was a concern, mine was fine.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something very annoying In squad screens I like to have gk at the top the def mid att but every time I continue I have to reset it please sort this out

I really dislike the removal of sliders imo the new tactic system is a step back on fist impressions I'll be waiting for the price to drop before buying it

• Administrators
When a goal is scored and it comes up for example, Steven Fletcher (38), 6th goal of the season; this is not correct. Ive only seen it come up twice but both times for 2 different players its been 1 goal too many (Fletcher has only scored 5 so far).
Can you post that here please: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/350-User-Interface

• Administrators
Absolut love the game! But i got one problem. I cant my graphics too work. I have plae the graphics folder like i use to, documents/si/Graphics/facepacks etc. Allso ensured that cahce is unticked and reloade skin.What to do?
Sounds like you need to update the configuration files in each sub folder there to pick up the graphics. I'd suggest asking in the Skinning Hideout sub forum if you need further assistance:- http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/17-Skinning-Hideout

Question.

I have my first team screen on selection then in order of positions. Trouble is when i click away from it and then go back its rearranged the order back to the positions they've been selected in to the starting 11 bit annoying to change it back to positions every time??

Other than that im liking it

OK, so I'm EXTREMELY tempted to buy a pre-order version today in-order to play this now as I cannot wait another 2 weeks :D. Just one thing I'm curious about before I do:

The Beta version, does that mean that any bugs/issues that are identified and fixed for launch of the full game will require me to start a new game on the 31st to get the benefits of them?

Also, and not a major thing, but is there a light and dark version of the base skin?

Been playing for the past six hours now in my Chelsea save - really enjoying it so far.

Love the new tactics system - it actually feels like I'm talking to the players as a real life manager would as opposed to using sliders. I do understand why the people that use sliders are frustrated that they have gone completely - I have to admit I used to be a 'download tactic' guy and most of the great ones were using sliders.

I feel with this new system though I can be confident of creating my own tactics to work and I suppose for the guys at SI it must be easier having one universal system for ME changes etc.

Also loving the new ME too - feel that players like Mata, Hazard etc actually play like their counterparts. Also feel like the players actually respond to your instructions - the first few pre-season games I was leaking some goals but got this sorted by just changing the way a few players worked and the overall team mentality.

The UI as people have mentioned is great and just seems to flow so much better - press conferences and transfers don't fell like a chore now and everything just seems more accessible.

I know this is only a beta but for me it's as good as the full game - I'm at the age now where I have to make sure I enjoy all my gaming time (due to other priorities!) so there may be small bugs here and there but I'm too busy enjoying myself to notice!!

Anyway well done SI and I'm away for another couple of hours play before getting an hours shut eye!!

First impressions:

Skin feels a bit confused - rounded edges some places sharp edges elsewhere. All a bit jarring for my eyes. Needs to be made consistent. Some of the font colors don't read well against the background, ie shades of grey on other shades of grey. I do applaud using a solid background rather than an image this year though.

The role/duty dropdowns on the tactics screen seem to use a font much smaller than needed, making them a bit bigger so they're easier to read would be nice. Also the boxes the player names sit on could have the transparency toned down a bit to make reading them easier.

Speaking of transparency the in game skin could do with a bit less of it, reading the text is not so easy. Also the names on the players are almost unreadable, lose the drop shadows! In general the ME animation is better ... but is strangely worse for it ... I think the players are hitting the uncanny valley for me.

Very brief thoughts tactically from trying to play a 4-2-2-2 box: even as complete wing backs the DL/R are very passive in defense, just sitting back with the CD line and sometimes even tucking in. Doesn't really fit the role description, I'd expect them to remain higher and wider to be on the lookout to burst forward on the counter. I did like what I saw when we had the ball though.

Also the half back role seems a bit wonky, not sure if it's supposed to work when paired with another DM, but while on the ball it sort of seemed to do what I expected, defensively he looked lost like he couldn't quite decide whether he wanted to take up his position as part of the box or act like a third DC or close someone down. My thoughts in using the role was he'd drop back with the DCs while in possession to cover for the wing backs, but without the ball he'd take up the normal DM position once the wingbacks got back. At least that's what I thought the role description suggests he'll do. Can we please get more than a couple of sentences in a tooltip describing how the roles are supposed to work?

The option to select a play maker and target man seem to be gone? Why? These were a couple of the best options in the TC, they get to the heart of what tactics are really about ... how you want your players to interplay with each other. Please add them back, and add more settings like them!

the overall smoothness of the game compared to 13 (minimal loading times, match engine has no delays, etc) is very impressive, even running on a 5 year old laptop with a pathetic graphics card. I have some issues with some Liverpool player ratings that have likely been rehashed already, but there is a different forum for that.

Question.

I have my first team screen on selection then in order of positions. Trouble is when i click away from it and then go back its rearranged the order back to the positions they've been selected in to the starting 11 bit annoying to change it back to positions every time??

Other than that im liking it

I have the same problem

OK, so I'm EXTREMELY tempted to buy a pre-order version today in-order to play this now as I cannot wait another 2 weeks :D. Just one thing I'm curious about before I do:

The Beta version, does that mean that any bugs/issues that are identified and fixed for launch of the full game will require me to start a new game on the 31st to get the benefits of them?

Also, and not a major thing, but is there a light and dark version of the base skin?

No you won't need to start a new game.

No dark skin yet, the reasons are explained earlier in the thread.

Strange thing, dunno if it's just me :

When a goal is scored it used to flash in the text panel below the 3d for say 10s after the goal was scored, in 14 the goal goes in , it flashes once and then there is no text at all underneath. It means having to click to the overview screen or hovering over the timebar to see who scored where as in 13 you always have a visual clue.

Hi there,

Just wish to check. In order for me to have a 5 star rating for 3d graphics animation, what is the minimum graphic card that i need..?

Thanks.

Just chiming in -

Game reckons my rig is half a star out of 5 in terms of performance(!), yet when I put graphics settings to 'Recommended for this PC' they eventually settled on 'Very High'. Which makes little sense to me. Could just be that the GPU is fine/the best bit of kit I have (though it's a built-in job on a year-old base-level machine), but it surely wouldn't matter much if it's still got to be crunched by the CPU cores (2).

Played fora couple of hours last night, really enjoying it.

The UI is much easier to use and I really like the new tactics system. Only issue I'm having is when I sort the team selection and then click away it changed the order the next time I come back to the screen.

Overall though I'm really enjoying it and it seems so much more advanced than the FM13 beta. Great work SI.

Just chiming in -

Game reckons my rig is half a star out of 5 in terms of performance(!), yet when I put graphics settings to 'Recommended for this PC' they eventually settled on 'Very High'. Which makes little sense to me. Could just be that the GPU is fine/the best bit of kit I have (though it's a built-in job on a year-old base-level machine), but it surely wouldn't matter much if it's still got to be crunched by the CPU cores (2).

Been a lot of work on this and it's generally a whole lot more accurate but there are still some anomalies.

First impressions:

Looks much smoother than last year, especially in the ME, its about as good as the ME has ever looked i think.

Tactics are brilliant, absolutely brilliant, i love the new set up, i pretty much relied on shouts as my tactics last year and this has taken it to a new level.

Transfers are better, i like the real time negotiations, and the AI seem more willing to haggle, although, it does seem a bit easy to sign players, i got Benteke without much fight from Villa, did pay £26M but i wouldnt have considered that too much considering his game value starts at £16M.

The press conferences being in the main news screen is great as well, just speeds them up and means you dont need to go back and forth between screens.

Just a few quick impressions from an hour or so playing last night.

I downloaded the game onto my home laptop last night...

Going away for work today and thought I'd cheekily download steam on my work laptop for a wee play while I travel...

Logged on to my steam account fine, but had to re-download the game, and once it was downloaded my saved game from last night isn't there.

Just wondering whether this will affect my save game on my home computer, or that the feature to continue saves on other laptops isn't yet live?

Very brief thoughts tactically from trying to play a 4-2-2-2 box: even as complete wing backs the DL/R are very passive in defense, just sitting back with the CD line and sometimes even tucking in. Doesn't really fit the role description, I'd expect them to remain higher and wider to be on the lookout to burst forward on the counter. I did like what I saw when we had the ball though.

Also the half back role seems a bit wonky, not sure if it's supposed to work when paired with another DM, but while on the ball it sort of seemed to do what I expected, defensively he looked lost like he couldn't quite decide whether he wanted to take up his position as part of the box or act like a third DC or close someone down. My thoughts in using the role was he'd drop back with the DCs while in possession to cover for the wing backs, but without the ball he'd take up the normal DM position once the wingbacks got back. At least that's what I thought the role description suggests he'll do. Can we please get more than a couple of sentences in a tooltip describing how the roles are supposed to work?

The option to select a play maker and target man seem to be gone? Why? These were a couple of the best options in the TC, they get to the heart of what tactics are really about ... how you want your players to interplay with each other. Please add them back, and add more settings like them!

Regarding the complete wingbacks, have they got players immediately in front of them? If so, what are their Roles?

I'm using CWBs as Everton and Baines and Coleman are bombing up and down all the way to level with the opposition box.

There are no players in the ML/R or AML/R slots so they have no teammates "in the way" when attacking.

To mitigate that attacking, I'm using a half back like you and his behaviour will depend on your setup. If you have CWBs in the DC line then there isn't much space for him to drop into. My CWBS are in the DM line, so when we're out of possession, the half back drops and the DCs split wide. When you have possession again, he should step into a more conventional DM position.

Target Man and Playmaker options have gone. They are now dictated by the Roles you use. So if you have one Target Man, he'll be aimed at more than his partner. If for some reason you use two, they'll be equally sought out - same for single or multiple playmakers.

Going away for work today and thought I'd cheekily download steam on my work laptop for a wee play while I travel...

Logged on to my steam account fine, but had to re-download the game, and once it was downloaded my saved game from last night isn't there.

Just wondering whether this will affect my save game on my home computer, or that the feature to continue saves on other laptops isn't yet live?

Did you choose to save your games in the cloud or locally.

I see what you are saying, but frankly.. a playing career of a person has very little to do with where they would go to learn their trade as coaches..

I'll take one example.. Litmanen.. he went back to play for lahti and hjk before he retired to play.. why would it be beyond them to go and learn coaching at a team like yours?

Well. Partly agree. But Lahti and HJK, although rather minor teams, as for Europe, are in HIS OWN country. It would be absolutely normal. I suspect, that even if player like them agreed to work in Poland, it would be:

- only a manager job, not U-18 coach

- only in teams, who play currently in Europe (Legia, Lech, with high doubts Śląsk or Wisła)

- not for 60k euro yearly.

The fair example of that was Bakero in Lech Poznań. Shevchenko as Widzew U-18 coach is just a fairy tale :)

The saved game is still on your home computer and you can transfer the save file on a USB stick to play between machines.

Well. Partly agree. But Lahti and HJK, although rather minor teams, as for Europe, are in HIS OWN country. It would be absolutely normal. I suspect, that even if player like them agreed to work in Poland, it would be:

- only a manager job, not U-18 coach

- only in teams, who play currently in Europe (Legia, Lech, with high doubts Śląsk or Wisła)

- not for 60k euro yearly.

The fair example of that was Bakero in Lech Poznań. Shevchenko as Widzew U-18 coach is just a fairy tale :)

Off topic - but to be fair, a great player in his day Edgar Davids is coaching at Barnet FC, in North London, a nation he never played in and 'worse' in tier 5 of the English League. I'd not get too hung up on the Shevchenko thing being a bug. The real football world is kind of weird now and again.

Paul Gascoigne went all over the place coaching/managing, China and all as well as non-league. Not that that worked out well. :(

If it happens in FM14 across the board then maybe, but 2/3/4 examples is no biggie is it?

Mentioned as a known issue earlier in the thread.

Just to (probably unneeded) expand/clarify on this point, the widgets for me work but change game to game depending on whether I am playing home or away. If I play two home games in a row, for example, it still displays my ratings but if I then go onto play an away match I get the oppositions ratings.

Off topic - but to be fair, a great player in his day Edgar Davids is coaching at Barnet FC, in North London, a nation he never played in and 'worse' in tier 5 of the English League. I'd not get too hung up on the Shevchenko thing being a bug. The real football world is kind of weird now and again.

Paul Gascoigne went all over the place coaching/managing, China and all as well as non-league. Not that that worked out well. :(

If it happens in FM14 across the board then maybe, but 2/3/4 examples is no biggie is it?

Sorry to be nitpicking here but didn't he play for Spurs?

I cant believe people are really moaning and crying about the beta release date not being announced. Most those who moaned found out within an hour of others posting on here so whats the big issue? Were you waiting by the computer pressing refresh constantly? Go out and get some fresh air and come back in and continue playing the beta. What difference does an hour make anyway? Most people are only finding out now and there not moaning.

Im looking forward to reading all the feedback. Beta time is an exciting time. Hopefully any bugs still present get ironed out and found by the community. :)

Archived