FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm afraid to say SI but I think my FM "career" will end in this version. I think he removal of sliders is a major mistake. Yes it wasn't realistic, I admit, but it was what made every FM manager "different". It's what separated the meticulous Mourinho's to the motivational Redknapp's. For me the enjoyment was first creating a tactic, a philosophy if you will, and then focus on breeding youth through. Now I feel half of the enjoyment has gone.

I would like to thank you guys though for the years of enjoyment I've had with the game. We're talking since CM2 :D So it's been a good run, it has indeed.

Good luck in future, I'm sure the new version will attract new players and I hope they enjoy it as much as I have throughout the years. :)

Sliders? Now instead of those things, they come in words when you select 'Team Instructions'. Sure it's a new thing, I am positive we will all get used to it.

I'm afraid to say SI but I think my FM "career" will end in this version. I think he removal of sliders is a major mistake. Yes it wasn't realistic, I admit, but it was what made every FM manager "different". It's what separated the meticulous Mourinho's to the motivational Redknapp's. For me the enjoyment was first creating a tactic, a philosophy if you will, and then focus on breeding youth through. Now I feel half of the enjoyment has gone.

I would like to thank you guys though for the years of enjoyment I've had with the game. We're talking since CM2 :D So it's been a good run, it has indeed.

Good luck in future, I'm sure the new version will attract new players and I hope they enjoy it as much as I have throughout the years. :)

It's not that different as you can still create a philosophy and tactic before you start the team building. I was never a fan of sliders (and the even more unrealistic old wibble/wobble system) and I think the new tactic system is a lot better than the old one.

Has anyone managed to find Rene Meulensteen in the game? I wanted to sign him as my assistant manager but he isn't in my game. I don't have the Dutch League load, so maybe that is why (even though he doesn't work there) but I thought since he has a pretty high reputation, he would always be in the game.

For me the team talk is still a bit wishy washy, unless I'm doing it wrong and if I am please put me right. But if the team has had an indifferent game but one or two players have played well I do the overall team talk critising them, and the 1 or 2 players that have done well, react badly, and even if I do a personal talk it doesnt win them back, is this just me?

One slightly annoying thing - and I'm sure this has to have been mentioned somewhere - is that if you're unemployed, and a team makes an offer, you're only shown the overall wage budget limits, and not also what the club is currently spending on wages.

Quite often, if a team has a wage budget of 20k a week, but are currently spending 35k a week, I'll give it a body swerve, and vice versa. Now, you have to actually take the job before you see this.

There does seem to be and issue with late goals. I have played 6 matches and there has been 41 goals scored. There have been an abundance of goals in the last ten minutes normally 2 or 3 per match. As an example I was 3-2 up in my last match at the 80 minute mark, so I switched to contain. I scored 3 goals in 8 minutes after that!

Edit: Northern Ireland Division2. It may be an issue in the lower leagues.

Despite this being a beta, I am already much more impressed than I was with FM2013, 3 things are really standing out for me.

-Formation we play in RL is already familiar with the squad

-Teamtalks, before it was mostly 'nothing noted' where as now we have actual feedback

-Better Fitness, I really struggled with fitness in FM13 to the point that I never had more than 3 or 4 players over 90% fit for match no matter what I did with training or rotation

The fitness thing was a big problem for me so that alone has improved my experience by quite a big margin.

I like the new tactics set-up as-well.

I can understand some peoples issue's with taking the sliders away, to me it just feels more natural being able to instruct people how to play rather worrying about 'how many clicks' on my def line for instance, I also think it will be easier for new players -or even older players- who struggle with tactics to get their team playing the way they want, means more focus on managing the team rather than spending 75% of their time micro-managing sliders.

*These are just my thoughts, they are not gospel :)

Come on dude. You were one of the originals. Give it a boy scout try first.

Come on dude. You were one of the originals. Give it a boy scout try first.

I think I'm with him on this one though :( I think everybody was just getting their heads round the tactics layout on fm13 and now they've been completely blown away by something not nearly as complex and does not offer much room for individuality. It's impossible to know the style you want to imply from the options given.

Another thing that's slightly annoying me is the pre-season team meetings, it appears that you say something to the team then get two conflicting responses from different players, but the only options for your next line are to agree or disagree with not much indication of which player you're agreeing or disagreeing with!

Please raise the issue with examples on our bugs forum and we can look into it - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/347-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

Thanks.

Can't really do that without access to an in game scouting tool to show hidden stats. Also, it would take me a long time to pull all the info and screen shots etc together, which I can't really be bothered to do. Surely this is SI's job, to test that the various aspects of the game work properly together? Your testers should be able to test this out for themselves by:

- playing a dozen games with any team (probably best to choose a reasonable team but not the best in a league) and focusing on the player body language/motivation screen.

- studying the results based on odds, performance and results in comparison to the body language of players and their related hidden stats.

- trying various ways to manager players who become nervous e.g. media interaction, team talks, replacing the player, changing tactics etc.

You may end up disagreeing with me and arguing that it is realistic but, if so, it would be good to know on what basis that has been made i.e. how the heck does SI know how players actually react to pressure in real life and how that is translated into performances and results? I would wager that there is no reliable data out there that can support the way this has been implemented in FM. In which case, its effect should toned down (like team talks have) or removed completely from the game IMO.

Perhaps, you can pass this on to the bugs forum, as I am too busy with real football today!

Thanks.

A few points I would like to raise. Been playing the game since it was released and love is so far.

- I played Inter in a friendly as Chelsea and it said that Wallace was ineligible as he should be. However he made an appearance as a 2nd half substitute. Does it not count as it's a friendly?

- I sacked my DOF as I like to do everything myself. I heard that it was him who compiles loan lists for players - can your assistant manager do it if you don't have a DOF?

- During a match it can sometimes take an eternity for a free kick or corner to be taken. I know the ball has to be collected but this is with the ball already in place - the players just stand there for ages before anything happens.

We're looking at this issue too. This isn't happening consistently and so we're trying to narrow down the exact factors that may trigger this issue.

Its happening consistently for me. It seems to do with home and away matches. If I play home and set it to my teams rating, it will be fine next game if thats at home too. But if next game is away its still the home team displayed.

Also they seem to move, minimize or simply disapear between most highlights. So I have to adjust them several time each game. Very anoying, but I know it will get fixed.

I think I'm with him on this one though :( I think everybody was just getting their heads round the tactics layout on fm13 and now they've been completely blown away by something not nearly as complex and does not offer much room for individuality. It's impossible to know the style you want to imply from the options given.
Nonsense, unrealistic and mostly ineffective settings for gamers aren't as many available than before. For a football simulation, you actually get something new with the hardcoded role specific behaviours, that weren't possible before.

This should get expanded and refined where need be, the old system was actually far more limiting and limited, players were much more generic, no matter what sliders you picked. Just check out the half-back role and how it affects your DCs behaviour, for example.

Just started playing the beta and it states that Lewandowski has already signed a pre-contract with Bayern. This hasn't happened in real life yet.
Seems to be the decision of one of the German researchers. Already complained about including an, at this point, impossible and illegal move into the game. I don't think that's appropriate for a simulation.

• SI Staff
For me the team talk is still a bit wishy washy, unless I'm doing it wrong and if I am please put me right. But if the team has had an indifferent game but one or two players have played well I do the overall team talk critising them, and the 1 or 2 players that have done well, react badly, and even if I do a personal talk it doesnt win them back, is this just me?

Take a look at the new teamtalk reason feedback in the assistant manager teamtalk feedback screen and see why. You won't always be able to turn them around. Your reputation as a manager and there's can also affect this.

Seems to be the decision of one of the German researchers. Already complained about including an, at this point, impossible and illegal move into the game. I don't think that's appropriate for a simulation.

The data isn't final yet.

Will there be a Beta match engine update, if i remember correctly there where one last year.

Stopped playing the beta, because of the horrible match engine.

Look at the very first post in this thread and make your own deductions :thup:

For some reason I can't talk to players on other teams trying to tap them up, talking about how much I want them, or them being the weakest link without the media prompting me to do that. Is this going to be fixed come the full release?

For some reason I can't talk to players on other teams trying to tap them up, talking about how much I want them, or them being the weakest link without the media prompting me to do that. Is this going to be fixed come the full release?

Writing a bug report does increase the chance that something get fixed in the future.

There were some pretty serious problems in last year's BETA with the newly overhauled ME. It is a lot more solid this year, so no need for a fix.

The difference between playing at home and away are excessive. Everyone plays like Barcelona at home. I've tried different away tactics based on the opposition, but no luck. I'm in my second season now -

Won all 5 home games in the Premier League

Away:

Reading - Arsenal 2-1

Newcastle - Arsenal 1-0

Wigan -Arsenal 4-2

West Brom - Arsenal 5-0

I have no chance, really. My goal at Reading was in the 92nd minute so that one is quite irrelevant. I'm being outplayed by much lesser players than my own.

Weird thing is that I always win shots on target and possession stats.

We must be on a different wavelength because I'd read that to mean there will be, (specifically the mention of known issue with keepers)

Anyone having a problems seeing a lot of straight red cards? In Pre-season, played 6 games and seen 3 straight red cards, 2 for me and 1 for the opposition, seems a little high, tactics aren't encouraging my players to get stuck in or anything like that, also really early, first tackle type things 9th and 3rd minutes

I was just sacked for not attending an emergency board meeting when I did attend the emergency board meeting!

They are out to get you :D please report this one in the bugs forum, they'll want a save game from before it happened if possible.

Sad to hear from one of the old guard. However, just remember how FM changed so much from CM. It took some time getting used to the sliders - people didn't like them at first but then everyone embraced them. Perhaps you will feel the same with the new system once you have gotten used to it?

I am loving FM14 so far and can only echo what many other people have said about this being one of the smoothest releases to date.

A couple of things I have noticed over the last few days of playing though, are:

Too many goals seem to be scored from long throw-ins. I know Stoke had that period in real life a couple of years or so ago where they would often score from them but it seems that any team with a player with a high long throw-in rating will more often than not score a goal from it if the opportunity arises (my own team included) and it is certainly far more often that I seen IRL.

The only other thing I have noticed that was bothersome enough to mention was that I recently bought a player in the transfer window before my second season, he then went on to score on his competitive debut, which is fine. The issue was that the news item that followed after the game stated that it was his first goal in 12 games for my team (Oxford) which obviously wasn't true. I presume he hadn't scored for 12 games at his previous team (Portsmouth) but that goal drought had somehow been transferred with him and been referenced as if he had played 12 games for me without scoring. The player in question was Dani Lopez, I haven't bought enough strikers yet to know whether this was just a one off or a common occurence but it happened nevertheless.

Is there any way to tell the U21 manager to use the same tactics as the first team?

And is there any way to set scouted players to be shortlisted again by default?

These should be in Staff Responsibilities

Overall impressions are very positive! The game looks very streamlined. There's a few things that I'm having difficulty finding in this year's edition of the game.

3. There are no sponsor details listed in the finance screen. My income tab says I received sponsorship money, but the summary screen doesn't list any sponsors. Has this moved from last year?

4. How do I sign players? I have a wage budget, but every player I go to sign will only allow me to offer $0 wages.

These are the only things I've noticed so far. Small admittedly, except for the signing players issue which is stopping me from playing right now. Would appreciate any help!

The summary tab for sponsors is only a record of significant sponsorship deals that are known from real life or of significant deals that are added during the game. Naturally even lower level sides have dozens of sponsorship deals of negligible value, but if we stated every single one the screen would become quite unwieldy.

Regarding your second question, have you offered out a load of deals to players? Which club are you managing?

We must be on a different wavelength because I'd read that to mean there will be, (specifically the mention of known issue with keepers)

well i read it as you are making improvements that will be ready for 31st October, not before

As is the nature of a beta version this not yet a finished product and we are still making numerous improvements ready for the October 31st release.

Archived